PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt say: interesting

confucius say
11-15-2023, 12:37 PM
https://x.com/drewcpiscopo/status/1724785757628645646?s=46&t=4fQgAonLgGFoBSBxBLUFMg

DesotoDog1967
11-15-2023, 12:41 PM
Heard him on Monday. Sounds right

FISHDAWG
11-15-2023, 12:42 PM
Hard to argue against the truth.... Matt sees what the rest of us see.

DesotoDog1967
11-15-2023, 12:46 PM
Was it what the boosters wanted? Will Friend was there before Barbay

memsu06
11-15-2023, 01:02 PM
Yep, it was a stupid decision to do a 180 degree turn with the offense.

Even then I'm not even sure I'd want Kevin Barbay offense if he had the right players.

Plays took too long to develop. We need an offense that is quick hitting, not waiting for these long drawn out plays to develop. We don't have the offensive line for long plays.

confucius say
11-15-2023, 01:03 PM
True or false, I was just a little surprised he said it so emphatically. Kudos for saying what you believe.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2023, 01:34 PM

Even then I'm not even sure I'd want Kevin Barbay offense if he had the right players.

Plays took too long to develop. We need an offense that is quick hitting, not waiting for these long drawn out plays to develop. We don't have the offensive line for long plays.

Reminded me of Moorhead's offense, just too slow for SEC speed on defense.

AROB44
11-15-2023, 01:36 PM
Reminded me of Moorhead's offense, just too slow for SEC speed on defense.

But we are slow all the way through.

Ranchdawg
11-15-2023, 01:41 PM
Arnett completely going away from a pass heavy offense is one of the stupidest things ever seen in college football. You have Will Roger that is the SEC leading career pass completions record and Arnett trashes that. Do you think Steve Spurrier would have completely trashed Danny Wuerffel?s career.

SPMT
11-15-2023, 01:42 PM

Clean house! 90% need to hit the road. Peterson, Friend, Barbay, Brock, etc. keep a couple. This team is as bad as any we?ve had in 20 years.

BuckyIsAB****
11-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Arnett and some others took everything away. Made sure our QB didnt even have the ability to check plays. Took away all tempo. I hope we are about to see what we could have been

Coursesuper
11-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Arnett and some others took everything away. Made sure our QB didnt even have the ability to check plays. Took away all tempo. I hope we are about to see what we could have been

Why would anyone be dumb enough to remove the ability to check out of a bad play?

BuckyIsAB****
11-15-2023, 02:24 PM
Why would anyone be dumb enough to remove the ability to check out of a bad play?

The same ones that demand to run the ball 26 times in a row vs Arizona

Coursesuper
11-15-2023, 02:24 PM
The same ones that demand to run the ball 26 times in a row vs Arizona

That is just ignorant.

Mjoelner34
11-15-2023, 02:28 PM
Clean house! 90% need to hit the road. Peterson, Friend, Barbay, Brock, etc. keep a couple. This team is as bad as any we?ve had in 20 years.

I'd go 100%.

MrCoachKlein
11-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Playing devil's advocate, who would've taken the OC job that was AR and worth having? I distinctly remember having this convoy when we were trying to find an OC late in the process.

Spurrier isn't good. Hollingshead wasn't ready. TX T guy said no.

ETA: Feels like this cost us 2 good coaches. Leach passes then lose our DC too who was a great up and coming coordinator..

Dawgology
11-15-2023, 02:42 PM
Playing devil's advocate, who would've taken the OC job that was AR and worth having? I distinctly remember having this convoy when we were trying to find an OC late in the process.

ETA: Feels like this cost us 2 good coaches. Leach passes then lose our DC too who was a great up and coming coordinator..

Arnett went after two AR OC’s but our boasters didn’t want to pay them. They WANTEd a running team “like the old days”. This is a fact. You can choose to believe it or not believe it. I don’t care.

confucius say
11-15-2023, 02:45 PM
Arnett went after two AR OC’s but our boasters didn’t want to pay them. They WANTEd a running team “like the old days”. This is a fact. You can choose to believe it or not believe it. I don’t care.

Which boosters?

Wink&aPrayer
11-15-2023, 02:47 PM
I'd go 100%.

I want everyone gone. Including Bump...all.

DesotoDog1967
11-15-2023, 02:49 PM
In another segment Wyatt talks about how Will had opportunity to go elsewhere, that Auburn wanted him. And he came back and how he was shortchanged. Others of course too

MrCoachKlein
11-15-2023, 03:10 PM

Don't remember that being said here. Doesn't really matter if I believe or not. I don't have an opinion either way except that it was always gonna be a rebuild with a switch to Leach then back away since he was the only 'pure' AR coach.

TorpedoIPA
11-15-2023, 05:46 PM
In another segment Wyatt talks about how Will had opportunity to go elsewhere, that Auburn wanted him. And he came back and how he was shortchanged. Others of course too

Just think of the records Will could have set and added to if we could have kept the air raid. But give him credit for keeping a positive attitude throughout this ordeal.

Joebob
11-15-2023, 07:16 PM
If ZA was philosophically opposed to the Air Raid, then at some point he was going to have to cut the umbilical cord and go another way, so how do you do that gracefully? I don't see how you could bring in an AR OC and have that guy slowly change the roster and transition to a running game oriented offense. Maybe there was an OC out there that could have pulled it off, but it seems it was going to be extremely difficult at best. Any thoughts?

TheLostDawg
11-15-2023, 07:47 PM
If ZA was philosophically opposed to the Air Raid, then at some point he was going to have to cut the umbilical cord and go another way, so how do you do that gracefully? I don't see how you could bring in an AR OC and have that guy slowly change the roster and transition to a running game oriented offense. Maybe there was an OC out there that could have pulled it off, but it seems it was going to be extremely difficult at best. Any thoughts?

To be fair Barbay said show me the best players and I'll show you the offense. He didn't keep his word and cost Arnett. That being said was it that Arnett wouldn't let Barbay do that. He admitted to cutting the passing down to give defense a breather so was it really Arnett fault and not Barbay.
We might find out but sucks to lose a great DC when he only focuses on defense. Look at arkansas game.

Goldendawg
11-15-2023, 08:11 PM
To be fair Barbay said show me the best players and I'll show you the offense. He didn't keep his word and cost Arnett. That being said was it that Arnett wouldn't let Barbay do that. He admitted to cutting the passing down to give defense a breather so was it really Arnett fault and not Barbay.
We might find out but sucks to lose a great DC when he only focuses on defense. Look at arkansas game.

Looking at our win at AK and our "D" holding them to 3 points in the worse victory I have watched since that 3-2 loss, I don't think we shut down a very good team at all that day. Our "D" like our "O" is terrible this year. Even our ST has the only punter ever recruited from Australia that can only kick it 35 yards with no roll.

DDawg
11-15-2023, 08:31 PM
Just think of the records Will could have set and added to if we could have kept the air raid. But give him credit for keeping a positive attitude throughout this ordeal.

I could care less what Will?s records are. Last time I checked it was Mississippi State University not Will Rodgers University. He?s lucky we kept him as the starter regardless of who the coach was. Name me one game he went out and won for us that wasn?t Auburn.

confucius say
11-15-2023, 09:48 PM
Setting the all time passing record is good for state though. Talk about something to sell to recruits, high school and portal alike.

HogsandDogs
11-15-2023, 09:55 PM
There really is no effective argument against anything Wyatt said in that clip.

Coach34
11-15-2023, 10:01 PM
But the pure AR died with Leach. The transition had to happen at some point. Nobody on Leach's staff was ready to be an OC.

Our biggest problem was Arnett going from the "Juice Guy" to a sullen folded arms guy HC. Still dont understand that

confucius say
11-15-2023, 10:03 PM
But the pure AR died with Leach. The transition had to happen at some point. Nobody on Leach's staff was ready to be an OC.

Our biggest problem was Arnett going from the "Juice Guy" to a sullen folded arms guy HC. Still dont understand that

It's absolutely baffling. I would love to ask him and get an honest answer one day.

maroonmania
11-15-2023, 10:21 PM

NOBODY in the country ran the Leach AR in the way Leach ran it except Leach. SO, to keep the style AR we were playing the OC position would have needed to go to SOMEONE on the existing staff to keep the offensive staff together in order to keep the Leach system in place. Would had to have been either of Spurrier or Hollingshead. If any of you have watched Texas Tech play recently, the offense they are running looks NOTHING like the Leach air raid at all. In fact, they have become a run heavy team since they lost Shough as their starting QB. Problem with Barbay's system is that to run it you need a mobile QB that can also pass. We don't have one of those on the roster. We have a QB that can pass and not run that is currently injured and another QB that can run but not pass. Parson just isn't ready yet for the SEC but has lots of potential with proper development.

WPS
11-15-2023, 10:34 PM
Looking at our win at AK and our "D" holding them to 3 points in the worse victory I have watched since that 3-2 loss, I don't think we shut down a very good team at all that day.

Yeah everyone knows eskimos can?t play football

Matt3467
11-15-2023, 10:48 PM
It's interesting when Wyatt mentioned us being one of the worst college offenses he's EVER seen. Most of us knew early on we were very bad but what strikes me is there were actually people on this board that would come on here after horrid performances and gaslight saying it was a great offense and exciting to watch.

OhGee
11-15-2023, 11:09 PM

I find it hard to believe there is not an AR guy out there somewhere who could have been our OC under CZA. Maybe CZA didn't have the contacts to find said guy. Surely Hal Mumme knew people. Or hell...maybe Hal could have been the OC.

OhGee
11-15-2023, 11:10 PM
It's interesting when Wyatt mentioned us being one of the worst college offenses he's EVER seen. Most of us knew early on we were very bad but what strikes me is there were actually people on this board that would come on here after horrid performances and gaslight saying it was a great offense and exciting to watch.

He was correct. Look, I saw Croom offenses like a lot of other people here. But I have NEVER seen an enter OL who didn't know who or how to block. Watch our LSU game. Damn. Almost every DL guy had a free run to the QB. We look like 11 guys who have never played football before.

Todd4State
11-15-2023, 11:52 PM
One of my biggest issues I had with Arnett is he and his staff outright misled our fans, players, and recruits by saying that he wasn't going too far away from the Air Raid. And then he did. And I'm being kind when I say "misled"- it was an outright lie. Now to be completely transparent if he came out and said "We are switching offenses to run heavy App State" I wouldn't have agreed with it or liked it. BUT I at least would have respected the honesty. He burned trust and then on top of it the offense was awful. With the veteran team we had which was built for the Air Raid and after what Moorhead did in similar fashion in 2018 it just compounded things. It's almost like "I know a lot of fans liked the Air Raid and a lot of fans know this group fits the Air Raid but screw you and the players who would have transferred out and the recruits who came to play in the Air Raid. We're feeding Woody every play. Is being honest about what we're running too much to ask for? To me, if you want to transition one of the first steps I would take as a head coach would be to make it clear what we are doing.

And no one expected our new OC after Leach passed away to run the exact same version of the Air Raid that Leach ran. There are no two coaches that run any offense the exact same as anyone else anyway. Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Mike McDaniel are all off of the Mike Shanahan offense tree. All are different. Hal Mumme's Air Raid was different from Leach's. And all the people that coached under Leach run Air Raid offenses differently. Sonny Dykes and Dana Holgerson and Lincoln Riley- all vastly different versions of the Air Raid. Leach's passing as tragic as it was it was also an opportunity to advance our Air Raid offense which would have been a much easier transition for the players and it also would have at the same time allowed us to do some different things with it- more running concepts, formations with TE's, jet sweeps, more empty sets, and etc. Instead Arnett chose to blow everything up and make the same MSU mistake we have seen over and over again. And it and he failed.

Who could we have brought in to run the Air Raid after Leach passed? How about AJ Smith who is an OC in the XFL and is from Shreveport and coached at MRA? Ben Arbuckle? He's averaging 30 PPG at Wazzu which is 9 PPG better than Barbay. Probably could have pulled Tim Cramsey from Memphis. He's averaging 39 PPG. Even Spurrier, Jr offense at Tulsa is 1 PPG better than Barbay. And Tulsa sucks. I'm not saying we should have hired Spurrier, Jr. but I am saying it wouldn't have been any worse and probably better had we gone that route.

But nope we decided to hire Florida's version of Brad Peterson five seasons ago (probably NOT a coincidence).

Todd4State
11-15-2023, 11:57 PM

He was correct. Look, I saw Croom offenses like a lot of other people here. But I have NEVER seen an enter OL who didn't know who or how to block. Watch our LSU game. Damn. Almost every DL guy had a free run to the QB. We look like 11 guys who have never played football before.

I knew we were in trouble when we were playing SELU and the game was still in doubt well into the third quarter. We garbage timed the heck out of that game. And then you had a MSU writer calling out "Air Raid Cult" people because we had more yards that game than East Tennessee State in 2022 even though we scored fewer point on offense. I mean WTF?

State82
11-16-2023, 12:53 AM

Well played.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2023, 01:01 AM

Hahaha!! I wish we played Alaska!! Well... maybe not.

Dawgology
11-16-2023, 01:29 PM
One of my biggest issues I had with Arnett is he and his staff outright misled our fans, players, and recruits by saying that he wasn't going too far away from the Air Raid. And then he did. And I'm being kind when I say "misled"- it was an outright lie. Now to be completely transparent if he came out and said "We are switching offenses to run heavy App State" I wouldn't have agreed with it or liked it. BUT I at least would have respected the honesty. He burned trust and then on top of it the offense was awful. With the veteran team we had which was built for the Air Raid and after what Moorhead did in similar fashion in 2018 it just compounded things. It's almost like "I know a lot of fans liked the Air Raid and a lot of fans know this group fits the Air Raid but screw you and the players who would have transferred out and the recruits who came to play in the Air Raid. We're feeding Woody every play. Is being honest about what we're running too much to ask for? To me, if you want to transition one of the first steps I would take as a head coach would be to make it clear what we are doing.

And no one expected our new OC after Leach passed away to run the exact same version of the Air Raid that Leach ran. There are no two coaches that run any offense the exact same as anyone else anyway. Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Mike McDaniel are all off of the Mike Shanahan offense tree. All are different. Hal Mumme's Air Raid was different from Leach's. And all the people that coached under Leach run Air Raid offenses differently. Sonny Dykes and Dana Holgerson and Lincoln Riley- all vastly different versions of the Air Raid. Leach's passing as tragic as it was it was also an opportunity to advance our Air Raid offense which would have been a much easier transition for the players and it also would have at the same time allowed us to do some different things with it- more running concepts, formations with TE's, jet sweeps, more empty sets, and etc. Instead Arnett chose to blow everything up and make the same MSU mistake we have seen over and over again. And it and he failed.

Who could we have brought in to run the Air Raid after Leach passed? How about AJ Smith who is an OC in the XFL and is from Shreveport and coached at MRA? Ben Arbuckle? He's averaging 30 PPG at Wazzu which is 9 PPG better than Barbay. Probably could have pulled Tim Cramsey from Memphis. He's averaging 39 PPG. Even Spurrier, Jr offense at Tulsa is 1 PPG better than Barbay. And Tulsa sucks. I'm not saying we should have hired Spurrier, Jr. but I am saying it wouldn't have been any worse and probably better had we gone that route.

But nope we decided to hire Florida's version of Brad Peterson five seasons ago (probably NOT a coincidence).

Arnett initially went after some Air Raid guys for OC. Certain boosters didn't want to pay what they were asking. But they ended up paying more for Barbay so you do the math. It was all about killing the Air Raid and getting back to a run heavy offense ?like the good old days?. Deck was stacked against Arnett from the start. With no AD in place the inmates were running the asylum.

TrapGame
11-16-2023, 03:30 PM
Today Matt said we'd have a home run hire if we hire one of the following: Jeff Lebby, Joe Judge, Rhett Lashlee, Jamey Chadwell.

Yes on two but you gotta be kidding on the other two.

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2023, 03:49 PM

It's irrelevant now - but an interesting offense that few know about is Kerwin Bell's (current Western Carolina HC). It's a mix of CFL, AR, and Spurrier's old Fun & Gun. And Bell has won with it everywhere - Jacksonville U, a natty a Valdosta St., and has Western Carolina leading FCS in Total Offense and 3rd in Scoring Offense. It looks a lot like Leach at Texas Tech in '08 with Harrell and Crabtree.

DesotoDog1967
11-16-2023, 03:50 PM
Judge's season suffered from questionable calls, such as a coach's challenge on a non-reviewable scoring play during Week 1 versus the Denver Broncos,[20] a controversial 11 minute post-game locker room rant after a loss to the Chicago Bears,[21] and a quarterback sneak on 3rd and 9 against their own goalline during a Week 18 matchup against the Washington Football Team.

no to Joe

MrCoachKlein
11-16-2023, 04:02 PM
Today Matt said we'd have a home run hire if we hire one of the following: Jeff Lebby, Joe Judge, Rhett Lashlee, Jamey Chadwell.

Why anyone would want to hire a 'CEO' coach is beyond me. He'll have to have amazing OC and DC hires every couple of years....Yeah Pittman was good with Briles and Odom...how's that look now?

Maroonthirteen
11-16-2023, 07:54 PM

Based on information in this thread by others, I'd say he was frustrated with being told who to hire. Then poor performance by those he did hire. Then having to answer for the poor performance. Fans complaining. Then the fundamental problem, not really wanting the job in the first place.

He never seemed comfortable in the HC role in interviews and etc. it was probably a huge feeling of relief for him, Monday.

Turfdawg67
11-16-2023, 08:06 PM
It's irrelevant now - but an interesting offense that few know about is Kerwin Bell's (current Western Carolina HC). It's a mix of CFL, AR, and Spurrier's old Fun & Gun. And Bell has won with it everywhere - Jacksonville U, a natty a Valdosta St., and has Western Carolina leading FCS in Total Offense and 3rd in Scoring Offense. It looks a lot like Leach at Texas Tech in '08 with Harrell and Crabtree.

Kudos for reading all that... whew!

Coach34
11-16-2023, 08:43 PM

Bell played QB at Florida. Remember him well

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2023, 08:49 PM
Kudos for reading all that... whew!

I've been reading Todd's posts for well over a decade. That was short story compared to his normal novels.

Maroonthirteen
11-16-2023, 08:50 PM
Who really knows if Judge would be a good hire.... however haven't we already hired guys with ZERO college head coaching nor coordinator experience? Both of those situations absolutely were a disaster. Although I know Judge has ST coordinate experience, but come on....

Mjoelner34
11-16-2023, 09:06 PM
If Joe Judge had not played here, his name would have neve been mentioned for this job. That alone should be enough to just say 'No thanks'.

BuckyIsAB****
11-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Based on information in this thread by others, I'd say he was frustrated with being told who to hire. Then poor performance by those he did hire. Then having to answer for the poor performance. Fans complaining. Then the fundamental problem, not really wanting the job in the first place.

He never seemed comfortable in the HC role in interviews and etc. it was probably a huge feeling of relief for him, Monday.

The offense we ran all year has not been what we did all spring and summer

jimbo352
11-16-2023, 10:33 PM

My only question about Lebby is if he can handle being a HC, and all that comes with it. I think he runs a great offense if I'm being honest. He's a good play caller in my opinion. Again, you just don't know how he would handle running a program. I feel like we need someone with that experience, even if it is at a lower level. I won't to see us go with an offensive minded guy though. Level the playing field and be exciting. I desperately don't want a 3 yds and cloud of dust mentality.

jimbo352
11-16-2023, 10:43 PM
Wyatt is 100% right fwiw. I know the timing and circumstances were rough, but damn... Me and my brother were both miffed at the idea we would waste one of the best QB's we've ever had. I thinkk it came down to not wanting to take a chance on an outsider coach for multiple years that sucks, just for one year with these guys. Arnett being promoted left the door open to make a change in year 1. Much harder to fire a new coach not promoted within after a year. Just a shit situation.

Irondawg
11-16-2023, 11:03 PM
The offense we ran all year has not been what we did all spring and summer

So think Barbay gets to call his own game now? I would think we'd basically let him go do his thing to either help or hurt the resume.

Todd4State
11-17-2023, 12:19 AM

Thanks for bringing Bell to my attention. Just watched the Western Carolina/Chattanooga highlights from this year- fun offense to watch! Definitely wished we would have brought Bell in instead of Barbay.

Judge's season suffered from questionable calls, such as a coach's challenge on a non-reviewable scoring play during Week 1 versus the Denver Broncos,[20] a controversial 11 minute post-game locker room rant after a loss to the Chicago Bears,[21] and a quarterback sneak on 3rd and 9 against their own goalline during a Week 18 matchup against the Washington Football Team.

no to Joe

Judge is going to have to do some work on his resume' if he wants our job. I want to see him go to Alabama or Georgia as OC for a couple of years and learn the ropes and then maybe take over somewhere like UAB and have success there before I feel comfortable wanting him to be out coach.

So think Barbay gets to call his own game now? I would think we'd basically let him go do his thing to either help or hurt the resume.

Hopefully we'll see more Air Raid-ish formations and plays with Will having some say in those plays.

Johnson85
11-17-2023, 12:09 PM
Judge is going to have to do some work on his resume' if he wants our job. I want to see him go to Alabama or Georgia as OC for a couple of years and learn the ropes and then maybe take over somewhere like UAB and have success there before I feel comfortable wanting him to be out coach.

What's crazy is there's no way Judge can get an OC position anywhere like that. If he's not a CEO headcoach, then he's a position coach somewhere like that or a G5 coordinator or maybe an OC under an offensive head coach that wants to give Judge a chance to implement their system.

I like Joe and would love to see him be a head coach at MSU, but I just don't see how we can hire somebody that hasn't shown they can be a coordinator at least because I don't think we can consistently shell out the money for top notch coordinators on both sides of the ball.

KB21
11-17-2023, 12:22 PM
What got talked up when they were going to hire him after Moorhead was the staff he had put together. No one knows for sure who was going to be on it, but there were rumors that he was going to bring on board guys like Freddie Kitchens, Shane Beamer, Will Hall, Brick Haley, and Jody Wright among others.

Todd4State
11-17-2023, 08:54 PM
What's crazy is there's no way Judge can get an OC position anywhere like that. If he's not a CEO headcoach, then he's a position coach somewhere like that or a G5 coordinator or maybe an OC under an offensive head coach that wants to give Judge a chance to implement their system.

I like Joe and would love to see him be a head coach at MSU, but I just don't see how we can hire somebody that hasn't shown they can be a coordinator at least because I don't think we can consistently shell out the money for top notch coordinators on both sides of the ball.

I'd like for it to happen but it's probably not in the cards. His best hope is that he improves and that Bellichick puts in a good word for him to Saban.

What got talked up when they were going to hire him after Moorhead was the staff he had put together. No one knows for sure who was going to be on it, but there were rumors that he was going to bring on board guys like Freddie Kitchens, Shane Beamer, Will Hall, Brick Haley, and Jody Wright among others.

Yeah. It's pretty funny because it would have basically been Derek Dooley as OC and Croom's old staff.