PDA

View Full Version : I find it a little strange

basedog
11-15-2023, 08:37 AM
I haven't seen one word from Arnett about his time in StarkVegas, did I miss something?

Makes me wonder if he is mad, embarrassed or just doesn't care now.

Dawgology
11-15-2023, 08:56 AM
I haven't seen one word from Arnett about his time in StarkVegas, did I miss something?

I think he said “17 it” I’m going to hang out at the house with my family and chickens.

paverdog
11-15-2023, 09:08 AM
Or maybe he's just laying low waiting to get back coaching defense for us.

Saltydog
11-15-2023, 10:02 AM
Coaching defense, possibly. Coaching defense for us, that's ludicrous.

TrapGame
11-15-2023, 10:11 AM
Let's see:

A&M's new DC? - I think this could be a real possibility.
Arkansas's new DC under Malzahn? Probably not.
DC Back out West somewhere? - That's probably what happens.

msstate7
11-15-2023, 10:25 AM
Let's see:

USC

Hopefully not LSU

Churchill
11-15-2023, 10:29 AM
He might get a job at a big school as a DC but I wouldn't bet on him being successful .

Lord McBuckethead
11-15-2023, 10:31 AM
He might get a job at a big school as a DC but I wouldn't bet on him being successful .

Your out of your mind. Arnett has only put quality defenses on the field his entire career. He will do it again.

Goldendawg
11-15-2023, 11:32 AM

Monday morning QB, but the events of this year show Leach's O kept his mid-pack D off the field a lot the last three years. D scores did help save some games. Losing Forbes, Young and Wheat really hurt this year's D but no one stepping up shows a bad combination of evaluation, recruiting, and lack of coaching at all levels. His D, like JLD, struggles mightily without shut down CB's and no pass rush (as do most D's). Our LB's lead the league in tackles, but far too many are 5 yards or so down the field. JMO. Hope our new HC has a different scheme. JMO.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-15-2023, 11:46 AM
Monday morning QB, but the events of this year show Leach's O kept his mid-pack D off the field a lot the last three years. D scores did help save some games. Losing Forbes, Young and Wheat really hurt this year's D but no one stepping up shows a bad combination of evaluation, recruiting, and lack of coaching at all levels. His D, like JLD, struggles mightily without shut down CB's and no pass run (as do most D's). Our LB's lead the league in tackles, but far too many are 5 yards or so down the field. JMO. Hope our new HC has a different scheme. JMO.

Agree. Above average defenses but far from elite.

was21
11-15-2023, 11:55 AM

Jimbo hasn't said anything either that I've seen. I mean, what are they going to say and what do words mean anyway.

confucius say
11-15-2023, 12:09 PM
USC

Hopefully not LSU

I'd be surprised. His defenses were middle of the road here. Plus, for USC, I doubt emerick and Brittany vouch for him to Riley.

memsu06
11-15-2023, 12:33 PM
I bet Brian Kelly has already contacted him.

He said he loved what Zach does on defense.

LSU is in need of a defense overhaul, and they'll be able to recruit the players he needs.

StarkVegasSteve
11-15-2023, 01:14 PM
I bet Brian Kelly has already contacted him.

He said he loved what Zach does on defense.

LSU is in need of a defense overhaul, and they'll be able to recruit the players he needs.

Woodward and O went after him HARD after the 2020 season so those connections are already there.

msstate7
11-15-2023, 02:15 PM
I'd be surprised. His defenses were middle of the road here. Plus, for USC, I doubt emerick and Brittany vouch for him to Riley.

Fei defenisve rankings...
2020 - 40th
2021 - 33rd
2022 - 14th

He's been pretty good here imo

RezDog7
11-15-2023, 02:28 PM
Monday morning QB, but the events of this year show Leach's O kept his mid-pack D off the field a lot the last three years. D scores did help save some games. Losing Forbes, Young and Wheat really hurt this year's D but no one stepping up shows a bad combination of evaluation, recruiting, and lack of coaching at all levels. His D, like JLD, struggles mightily without shut down CB's and no pass rush (as do most D's). Our LB's lead the league in tackles, but far too many are 5 yards or so down the field. JMO. Hope our new HC has a different scheme. JMO.

He might not have been a good head coach but he's a damn good DC. Luckily we don't play LSU next year or you would find out.

TrapGame
11-15-2023, 02:32 PM
He might not have been a good head coach but he's a damn good DC. Luckily we don't play LSU next year or you would find out.

Exactly. If he ain't our DC I want him far, far away from us. Like West Coast far away.

MaroonFlounder
11-15-2023, 02:54 PM
Wherever he is next year, he's gonna laugh at how bad our defense is without Jett, Bookie & Crumedy.

Cooterpoot
11-15-2023, 02:56 PM

He's not an elite DC. He's a solid one but he can't recruit worth a shit. Perfect fit for USC or LSU.

TrapGame
11-15-2023, 03:52 PM
Wherever he is next year, he's gonna laugh at how bad our defense is without Jett, Bookie & Crumedy.

Unless we get a head coach that's portal savvy.

WPS
11-15-2023, 04:32 PM
Let's see:

If Arkansas gets Malzahn they probably just keep the DC since Arkansas hired him from UCF

TrapGame
11-15-2023, 04:40 PM
If Arkansas gets Malzahn they probably just keep the DC since Arkansas hired him from UCF

That's interesting.

So Gus was planning ahead?***

Really Clark?
11-15-2023, 04:46 PM
That's interesting.

So Gus was planning ahead?***

He's a plant!! A coup from the inside! That Malzhan isn't playing trying to get that Ark job!! Lol

Bothrops
11-15-2023, 07:11 PM

The whole team is going to suck balls

FISHDAWG
11-15-2023, 07:26 PM

Did Mullen say anything when leaving? I know he did much later on but I don't remember him saying any good bye wishes

Cowbell
11-15-2023, 07:36 PM
I imagine Zach took his wife somewhere on vacation to get away from all this. They probably have been living through hell the last few weeks. I honestly feel bad for them, There is no amount of money that makes mama feel better. My prayers are with them.

was21
11-15-2023, 07:42 PM
I imagine Zach took his wife somewhere on vacation to get away from all this. They probably have been living through hell the last few weeks. I honestly feel bad for them, There is no amount of money that makes mama feel better. My prayers are with them.

Wouldn't be surprised if Zach felt an overwhelming feeling of relief. He was obviously miserable in the HC position. There's two kinds of people: The ones who are destined to be Head corches...and then there's the other kind...that want to support and do a damn good job at it. I wish him and his family all the best.

Todd4State
11-16-2023, 12:15 AM

Me too.

99jc
11-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Me too.

LOL. I don't feel sorry for him he rose my blood pressure up to dangerous levels.

Churchill
11-16-2023, 10:18 AM
He will make a total of about 10mil (DC, HC, buyout) out of being at State for 4 years. Unless hell has really changed a lot.....that ain't my definition of it.

Anonymous
11-16-2023, 11:58 AM
Let's see:

I doubt he's in the SEC. There is a pretty big stigma that 3-3-5 won't work in the SEC, that it just isn't physical enough at the line of scrimmage to be elite every week. I've heard Cubelic say it more than once, not in reference to our defense but when discussing potential DC's at other schools. Arnett could buck that trend, he had success here, but also never had to be dominant for all 12 weeks of a season like he would be expected to at some other stops. And we have seen some of the problems it presents, we've had to be almost recklessly aggressive at times.

That all said, I'm going to miss it. I absolutely love some of the looks we give on defense.

Anonymous
11-16-2023, 12:01 PM
Did Mullen say anything when leaving? I know he did much later on but I don't remember him saying any good bye wishes

Took out a full page ad in the paper IIRC. I don't remember if he said much in the first few days after leaving.

ScooterDog
11-16-2023, 12:35 PM
To coin a phrase, silence is golden. I wouldn?t have any thing to say either, and I don?t expect him to.

OhGee
11-16-2023, 12:56 PM

He took out a full page ad newspapers expressing gratitude to MSU, Starkville, and fans.