PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 - are they realistic?

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 08:05 AM
My wish for our job are #1 Lashlee,#2 Chadwell. Both run offenses that are unique and play defense.

msudawg1200
11-14-2023, 08:18 AM
With the right amount of $$$$$$ anyone is realistic. Now, do we have enough $$$$$$(not only contract money, but buyout and NIL) to attract one of these guys, or a few more big names? I guess we'll see.

WinningIsRelentless
11-14-2023, 08:22 AM
My wish for our job are #1 Lashlee,#2 Chadwell. Both run offenses that are unique and play defense.

Lashlee isn?t leaving smu. That school has more money and resources than any of the other Texas schools.

Really Clark?
11-14-2023, 08:26 AM

Here is where it boils down on if they are realistic or not. Do they want an SEC HC job right now and are we their best chance to get one this season or are they willing to wait for something else in another year or two. We have the money to get either one but they are at schools that can match any offer we give, so you can't just say you can buy them.

DEDawg
11-14-2023, 08:28 AM
With realignment I do think both are possible. In 5 years if you are not in SEC or B10 you will not be relevant. I think our job is much more attractive than we give it credit for

Cooterpoot
11-14-2023, 08:47 AM
Both will require a lot of investment. Chadwell would jump at the job if we can get the money together. I feel like SMU would simply give Lashlee whatever he wants to stay.
But with all these searches, I wouldn't get wound up on anybody yet beyond making your favorites list, and it better be long right now.

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 08:50 AM
Both will require a lot of investment. Chadwell would jump at the job if we can get the money together. I feel like SMU would simply give Lashlee whatever he wants to stay.
But with all these searches, I wouldn't get wound up on anybody yet beyond making your favorites list, and it better be long right now.

I just hope we can do a good enough job selling MSU to the right candidate. They are going to approach us with a very critical eye, I know I would.

basedog
11-14-2023, 08:50 AM

The list has grown by the hour but I can't wait to see or hear Selmon's list. Maybe Bert Stare will be seen driving around Ole Waverly with one of them**

Cooterpoot
11-14-2023, 08:56 AM
I just hope we can do a good enough job selling MSU to the right candidate. They are going to approach us with a very critical eye, I know I would.

Naw, nothing to be critical about. We won 9 games last year, had good season ticket sales, and are upgrading Davis Wade. Were investing in the program already, something Cohen's 17tard ass never did.

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 09:00 AM
Naw, nothing to be critical about. We win 9 games last year.

I'm not saying they are looking at what happed this year, anyone can see that. Its the intangibles of how does MSU stand up with TX and OU coming in and the ever and quickly changing landscape of college football.

HancockCountyDog
11-14-2023, 10:24 AM
My only concern with Chadwell is his buyout. People worried about recruiting at this level need to realize that recruiting is basically NIL at this point, so that takes care of itself at this point.

confucius say
11-14-2023, 10:27 AM
I'm not saying they are looking at what happed this year, anyone can see that. Its the intangibles of how does MSU stand up with TX and OU coming in and the ever and quickly changing landscape of college football.

Texas and OU don't really matter. Our schedule next year is easier than 2022 when we had Bama and lsu and uga. We pick up Texas next year, but lose LSU. Pick up uga, but lose bama. It's a wash.

What will really change things is if we go to 9 games, which the league should not do.

drummerdawg
11-14-2023, 11:13 AM

Well, the past 10 years (including this year) Texas has 70 wins for 7 wins per season. I get they have more money, but they always have and haven't done much with it. To compare, we've won 72 in that same time span, and that includes this anomaly of a season we're having. A&M has just as much money and has been a top recruiter with a national championship winning coach, and yet we've been as good or better then them since they joined the SEC. The intangibles, I believe, are in favor of MSU. Less pressure plus Mississippi recruiting backyard > most. Nothing to be scared or worried about with the right coach who understands our situation.

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 11:16 AM
Well, the past 10 years (including this year) Texas has 70 wins for 7 wins per season. I get they have more money, but they always have and haven't done much with it. To compare, we've won 72 in that same time span, and that includes this anomaly of a season we're having. A&M has just as much money and has been a top recruiter with a national championship winning coach, and yet we've been as good or better then them since they joined the SEC. The intangibles, I believe, are in favor of MSU. Less pressure plus Mississippi recruiting backyard > most. Nothing to be scared or worried about with the right coach who understands our situation.

Everything before three years ago no longer counts. Since the NIL and massive realignment everything is a new world.

Quaoarsking
11-14-2023, 11:23 AM
Everything before three years ago no longer counts. Since the NIL and massive realignment everything is a new world.

Well we finished with more wins on a tougher SOS than Texas in 2021 and 2022.

TrapGame
11-14-2023, 11:26 AM

Yep. It's a new day in the SEC. We can't operate like we did under Mullen. We need a portal team that evaluates portal guys. We can't go after the diamonds in the rough like we used too. High school recruiting is a whole different deal now.

KB21
11-14-2023, 11:31 AM
Yep. It's a new day in the SEC. We can't operate like we did under Mullen. We need a portal team that evaluates portal guys. We can't go after the diamonds in the rough like we used too. High school recruiting is a whole different deal now.

NFL teams have a GM, director of college scouting, and a director of pro scouting. Some even have a director of personnel under the GM. The way of the future in college football may be to have a guy who is a GM/Director of Football operations type that leads the evaluating and recruiting departments. Under him, you need someone who is evaluating and connecting with high school players and someone who is evaluating college players.

RezDog7
11-14-2023, 11:38 AM
NFL teams have a GM, director of college scouting, and a director of pro scouting. Some even have a director of personnel under the GM. The way of the future in college football may be to have a guy who is a GM/Director of Football operations type that leads the evaluating and recruiting departments. Under him, you need someone who is evaluating and connecting with high school players and someone who is evaluating college players.

I was thinking about this the other day. You basically have to run a college program similar to an NFL team does with free agency, except there is no salary cap.

KB21
11-14-2023, 11:52 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. You basically have to run a college program similar to an NFL team does with free agency, except there is no salary cap.

Similar to MLB in many ways without the cap. So, what do the smaller market teams in MLB do to bridge the competitive gap between the haves and the have nots? They invested in analytics.

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 11:54 AM
Well we finished with more wins on a tougher SOS than Texas in 2021 and 2022.

Okay, lets put it this way. The game is pay for play now period. We will never be able to amass as much talent as the top half or our conference. These guys that we are pursuing as our new head coach are well aware of that fact. Therefore they and we know we have to find someone that runs a system that can in some ways account for this disparity in talent. We will still be able to attract some high level talented players but we will not be able to plug in a 5* for a 5* or even a 4* for a 4* player very often. The candidates will look us over long and hard as to are we willing to do all we can to offset this disparity and give them and their system a chance to succeed. That is what we have to sell, from facilities to budgets and support staff etc. They are going to want it all in place or the ability to create what they feel they need.

BlackSailsDawg
11-14-2023, 12:06 PM
Lashlee isn?t leaving smu. That school has more money and resources than any of the other Texas schools.

Yes he is leaving. But Arkansas will call him home.

BlackSailsDawg
11-14-2023, 12:11 PM

I have seen it said by a few people that we can not run a system that put us up against the majority of the SEC and expect to win recruiting battles. "At MSU, they need to be a different animal". I agree with that.

You tell a WR that we are going to throw it 100% of the time and that WR/QB room will be filled with talent. I'm not saying we should be that drastic at all. Just making a point.

BlackSailsDawg
11-14-2023, 12:13 PM

And going with that thought, again.. our WR/RB/QB room was the best talent over all we have ever signed. NIL mattered, but the fact that they knew what the offense was going to produce attracted them.