PDA

View Full Version : 10 names

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 08:57 PM
After a day of thinking on it, as of right now of all the 100s of names mentioned, this would be 10 coaches that I feel like are atleast somewhat realistic that I would be thrilled to have.
Again, I?m not saying they would absolutely come or we would even offer. This is just 1@ names that I don?t think is impossible and that I would be thrilled with.

1)Jonathan smith (hc at Oregon st)
2) lance liepold (hc at Kansas)
3) pj fleck (hc at minn)
4)Dan Mullen(former Florida/msu hc)
5)Tom Herman (hc at fau)
6) g j Kinne (hc at Texas st)
7) Matt Campbell (hc at Iowa st)
8) Bobby Petrino (oc at aTm)
9) clay Helton (hc at Georgia st)
10) jedd fisch (hc at Arizona)

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 09:02 PM
Liepold not possible, fleck not probable along w Campbell. It won't be Mullen. Past that the other 6 I guess would be possible.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 09:04 PM
I'm going to play along Preach and say that Coach Fisch is interesting to me. Look up his bio...the guy didn't play high school or college but went from New Jersey (I think) to Florida just hoping he could somehow get a job under Spurrier (he eventually did). That's some pretty wild dedication.

Also, I read an article last week Arizona has financial troubles, and they are talking about serious cutbacks to athletics. He also sung our praises on the environment and said he would love to see something like that at Arizona. He also did a great job in the portal this past season. Could he be looking to jump? I'm interested to learn more.

edited: he makes 2.85 million per year and as I said they have financial problems so he probably knows the major payday is not coming from Arizona.

also: here's the article about cutting their athletic budget (potentially) (https://frontofficesports.com/financial-woes-could-force-arizona-to-cut-sports-programs/)

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 09:07 PM
Petrino? Thrilled? Huh?

Mjoelner34
11-13-2023, 09:12 PM
Petrino? Thrilled? Huh?

There is an NIL deal in there somewhere with Village Cycle Center.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-13-2023, 09:12 PM
The Zona coach knows how to evaluate a roster and Portal players. does he have SEC connections to get top assistants? Does he understand recruiting in the SEC? Can he recruit the high level MS GS kids we have to land to compete (Jeff Simmons, Charles Cross, etc)? can he fit into our culture? I don't know.

But this team has a lack of talent on D, a lack of a QB, a lack of an offensive identity, and a lack of OL recruiting cohesion... we NEED a coach that can fix the roster ASAP. Fisch seems like the guy for that. He has to have some other qualities too, but his Portal prowess and flip of Zona has me paying attention

msudawg1200
11-13-2023, 09:14 PM
No on Fleck. He's going backwards at Minnesota, and his type of "Row the Boat" schtick runs thin quickly.

Catfish
11-13-2023, 09:16 PM
With the Oklahoma connection, will Selmon reach out to Lebby?

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 09:17 PM
The Zona coach knows how to evaluate a roster and Portal players. does he have SEC connections to get top assistants? Does he understand recruiting in the SEC? Can he recruit the high level MS GS kids we have to land to compete (Jeff Simmons, Charles Cross, etc)? can he fit into our culture? I don't know.

But this team has a lack of talent on D, a lack of a QB, a lack of an offensive identity, and a lack of OL recruiting cohesion... we NEED a coach that can fix the roster ASAP. Fisch seems like the guy for that. He has to have some other qualities too, but his Portal prowess and flip of Zona has me paying attention

Yeah, if I were going to put someone out there as a true dark horse contender that checks all the boxes (the money is right, portal prowess as you said, he's a Florida grad and coached there so he does understand the SEC, offensive mind, etc) he would be the guy. Arizona went from the worse team in D1 (literally) to a top 20 team in 3 years under his leadership. That has to get someone's attention, surely?

chef dixon
11-13-2023, 09:21 PM
What the hell has Lebby done to be considered for head gigs?

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 09:27 PM
What the hell has Lebby done to be considered for head gigs?

Amen!

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 09:27 PM
Yeah, if I were going to put someone out there as a true dark horse contender that checks all the boxes (the money is right, portal prowess as you said, he's a Florida grad and coached there so he does understand the SEC, offensive mind, etc) he would be the guy. Arizona went from the worse team in D1 (literally) to a top 20 team in 3 years under his leadership. That has to get someone's attention, surely?

Absolutely agree!

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 09:31 PM
The Jedd Fisch love is crazy. Petrino is a hell no. Mullen is a hell no. Smith runs a boring offense that only works in the soft PAC 12.

The only good names on this list are Leipold and Campbell. Maybe Kinne- haven't looked at him much.

DawgFromOxford
11-13-2023, 10:04 PM
The Jedd Fisch love is crazy.

I mean what?s not to like? He?s young. Offensive minded. NFL ties. Has Arizona going in the right direction

MrBigStuff
11-13-2023, 10:32 PM
Yep. Has turned around a dumpster fire as HEAD COACH. Don't get all the love for these OC's coming to MSU as their first head coaching gig in the SEC West. Granted Arnett can't hold a coaching candle to the top OC's mentioned and Mullen worked out; I just think this go 'round needs somebody who has been in the top slot.

Coach34
11-13-2023, 10:38 PM
With the Oklahoma connection, will Selmon reach out to Lebby?

Lebby wants the job but he is on down the line. 1st priority is hiring someone that is a HC or has HC'ing experience

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 10:43 PM
The Jedd Fisch love is crazy. Petrino is a hell no. Mullen is a hell no. Smith runs a boring offense that only works in the soft PAC 12.

The only good names on this list are Leipold and Campbell. Maybe Kinne- haven't looked at him much.

I don't dislike Fisch, but you can poke holes in every candidate there is. Some more than others.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 11:04 PM
After a day of thinking on it, as of right now of all the 100s of names mentioned, this would be 10 coaches that I feel like are atleast somewhat realistic that I would be thrilled to have.
Again, I?m not saying they would absolutely come or we would even offer. This is just 1@ names that I don?t think is impossible and that I would be thrilled with.

1)Jonathan smith (hc at Oregon st)
2) lance liepold (hc at Kansas)
3) pj fleck (hc at minn)
4)Dan Mullen(former Florida/msu hc)
5)Tom Herman (hc at fau)
6) g j Kinne (hc at Texas st)
7) Matt Campbell (hc at Iowa st)
8) Bobby Petrino (oc at aTm)
9) clay Helton (hc at Georgia st)
10) jedd fisch (hc at Arizona)

You need to stop lol

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 11:08 PM
You need to stop lol

No. You do. Reading your comments throughout the day you’ve offered exactly one post with any list of names and literally NONE of them are worth having other than Kinne at tx state. This is the sec. No, we aren’t hiring some big huge name splash hire. But we can absolutely hire someone other than Kendall briles or Jeff freaking lebby. Give me a break

Mjoelner34
11-13-2023, 11:15 PM
Lebby wants the job but he is on down the line. 1st priority is hiring someone that is a HC or has HC'ing experience

I agree we need someone with HC experience but Lebby is the only OC I would consider. I just wonder how far down the list he is. I'd probably have him 6th on my list behind Leipold, Chadwell, Herman, Lashlee and Traylor. Maybe even 7th if I studied up on the James Madison coach.

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 11:20 PM
I agree we need someone with HC experience but Lebby is the only OC I would consider. I just wonder how far down the list he is. I'd probably have him 6th on my list behind Leipold, Chadwell, Herman, Lashlee and Traylor. Maybe even 7th if I studied up on the James Madison coach.

You probably want to move Herman below all of those others.

Mjoelner34
11-14-2023, 12:28 AM
You probably want to move Herman below all of those others.

Why? Because of a game in year 1 of cleaning up after Willie Taggart?

Really Clark?
11-14-2023, 12:44 AM
Why? Because of a game in year 1 of cleaning up after Willie Taggart?

Back to back games against a 2-6 team and a 1-8 team. He won't finish any better than Taggart's last 2 years at 5-7. That's not moving the needle, Lane took a 3-9 team to 11 wins his first year at the same school. But it's also more than that too.