PDA

View Full Version : A name gaining traction

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 02:56 PM
Matt Campbell. Wasn?t expecting to hear that name. He?s not as hot of a name as he once was BUT, he?s done a phenomenal job at iowa state

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 02:57 PM
Matt Campbell. Wasn?t expecting to hear that name. He?s not as hot of a name as he once was BUT, he?s done a phenomenal job at iowa state

Mentioned him earlier this morning. He has done a really good job and bowl eligible again this year without his starting QB all year.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 02:58 PM
God I hope not. He's about a mid as it gets. He's also turned down bigger jobs than us.

Bubb Rubb
11-13-2023, 03:00 PM

Gaining traction with whom?

Tater
11-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Preacher got given the flush out leaks name.

sandjunky
11-13-2023, 03:01 PM
I?d give up being a fan of this institution

TrapGame
11-13-2023, 03:01 PM
No thanks.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 03:06 PM
No. No No No. Nooooooooo

Santiago
11-13-2023, 03:08 PM
I would love to hire this guy. He can evaluate talent and can outcoach teams with less

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 03:17 PM
Detroit Lions offered him, don't know why he turned it down but they offered him a couple of years ago. NY Jets showed interest as well. He is on MI St list this year. But he's not good enough? I'm not saying he's my top choice but he has done a very good job at ISU.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 03:21 PM
He would be a solid hire. I'm not sure what the problem some people would have with him.

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 03:30 PM
He would be a solid hire. I'm not sure what the problem some people would have with him.

It makes zero sense not to be excited if he were the hire. Our fan base has to be the most delusional in America. We. ARE. NOT. GOING. TO. EVER. YEAR. IN. AND. YEAR. OUT. COMPETE. WOTH. THE. BIG. BOYS. So some of you guys need to get a grip and realize that. We need a program builder. A developer of talent. And someone who has a high floor. Forget some huge ceiling guy. Geez this is embarrassing to know there are people who support this university that would be disappointed with a hire of this caliber. My gosh.

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Detroit Lions offered him, don't know why he turned it down but they offered him a couple of years ago. NY Jets showed interest as well. He is on MI St list this year. But he's not good enough? I'm not saying he's my top choice but he has done a very good job at ISU.

Some our our fans are clearly insane

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Mike Bobo *

Santiago
11-13-2023, 03:49 PM

Agree with you, he has stayed put and turned down jobs. He is a respected HC from a P5 school.
He at least needs to be on this list.

Mjoelner34
11-13-2023, 03:51 PM
Well, he did lose to Ohio this year (kind of like Croom and Maine) and only scored 7 points in the loss (kind of like our current offense). Sounds like he'd fit right in.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 03:53 PM

Yeah - I just don't get it. Guy has won at an extremely difficult P5 job.

Seems like a great fit culturally and has proven he can win.

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 04:03 PM
He is only the second coach since 1920 to have a career winning record at ISU. The other is Earle Bruce who left for Ohio State. Earle followed Johnny Majors who didn't even win .500 of his games but was hired away to Pitt. It's one of the hardest P5 jobs to win at. Only 2 have done it in 100 years.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 04:07 PM
This thread is living proof NO MATTER who we hire, we are going to have a big chunk of people that say meh.... odds are will hire someone who has less than half of the resume as Campbell

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 04:07 PM
I don't know, not very exciting to be honest. Just my opinion.

KB21
11-13-2023, 04:39 PM
FWIW, here's an article on how Iowa State under Matt Campbell has played Oklahoma:

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/football/oklahoma-iowa-state-one-big-thing-9-29-23

Let’s face it: Matt Campbell is the one Iowa State coach who has figured out Oklahoma.

That doesn’t mean he beats the Sooners all the time — or even with any kind of regularity.

But Campbell’s Cyclones (2-2 overall, 1-0 Big 12) play better, harder and with more consistency against OU than they do typically against other opponents. They don’t get up for Iowa like they do for Oklahoma.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 04:41 PM
ISU is like State are similar. One had Purdy, one had Dak. Most other years are pretty mid. Losing record last year and probably end 6-6 this year.

PGHBulldogBG
11-13-2023, 04:45 PM
Nobody truly knows who Selmon is approaching. It?s possible he fired Arnett without having an idea who is being hired because he could clearly see no matter what happens it wasn?t going to work. He also might have been putting feelers out awhile ago and already has someone locked up and the announcement is waiting until the season plays out. Obviously scenario #2 could be best. It will definitely be interesting how this plays out, but Selmon made the right move. It was probably easier for him to do that since he did not hire Arnett

TrapGame
11-13-2023, 04:48 PM
This thread is living proof NO MATTER who we hire, we are going to have a big chunk of people that say meh.... odds are will hire someone who has less than half of the resume as Campbell

Campbell is a boring hire, PERIOD.

And if we hired him I'd support him just like I did every other coach. So would 99% of this board.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 05:06 PM
He and Mullen do have one thing in common...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/MattCampbellISU2016.jpeg/800px-MattCampbellISU2016.jpeg

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 05:07 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:16 PM
In the 15 years prior to Matt Campbell, Iowa State had 5 winning seasons. In Matt's 8 seasons at Iowa State, they have had 6 winning seasons counting this one so far.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 05:18 PM
Guys, he's basically a .500 coach (52–46 at Iowa State and 4-4 in bowls). Without Brock Purdy he probably has a losing record. He's an ok coach but acting like we should be on our hands and knees begging him to come is just crazy. Most people would yawn at the hire because there's better, more exciting options out there.

Johnson85
11-13-2023, 05:19 PM
I don't know, not very exciting to be honest. Just my opinion.

I am afraid you're not going to be very excited regardless. Campbell won 9 games at Toledo in 3 of his 4 seasons. After his first year at Iowa State, he went 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, and 4-8. I know that's big 12, but he did that as the little brother school in that hotbed of talent known as Iowa.

Honestly, if you could guarantee me a coach that would match his performance at Iowa St (so, 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, 4-8, and 6-6, assuming he doesn't upset Kansas State or Texas in these last two games), I'd be tempted to take it. Our roster is going to be a hot mess next year and I will be thrilled if our next coach gets 8 wins in his second and third year.

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:23 PM
He's got a rising star young offensive coordinator named Nate Scheelhaase. He would also bring John Heacock and the 3-3-5 flyover scheme with him.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 05:23 PM
I am afraid you're not going to be very excited regardless. Campbell won 9 games at Toledo in 3 of his 4 seasons. After his first year at Iowa State, he went 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, and 4-8. I know that's big 12, but he did that as the little brother school in that hotbed of talent known as Iowa.

Honestly, if you could guarantee me a coach that would match his performance at Iowa St (so, 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, 4-8, and 6-6, assuming he doesn't upset Kansas State or Texas in these last two games), I'd be tempted to take it. Our roster is going to be a hot mess next year and I will be thrilled if our next coach gets 8 wins in his second and third year.

I get it. I think fans are going to be torn into the safe hire crowd and the go big hire crowd. I'll support either but I'm in the go big crowd myself. I see both sides though.

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 05:25 PM
Guys, he's basically a .500 coach (52–46 at Iowa State and 4-4 in bowls). Without Brock Purdy he probably has a losing record. He's an ok coach but acting like we should be on our hands and knees begging him to come is just crazy. Most people would yawn at the hire because there's better, more exciting options out there.

He's better than .500 and only the second coach in over a 100 years to be over .500 at ISU.

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:26 PM
This is believable because of how tough Iowa State has played Oklahoma during Matt Campbell's tenure there. I can see Zac having a great deal of respect for that.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 05:27 PM
In the 15 years prior to Matt Campbell, Iowa State had 5 winning seasons. In Matt's 8 seasons at Iowa State, they have had 6 winning seasons counting this one so far.

They are going to finish 6-6.
He's been there 8 seasons.

3-9
7-5
8-4
7-5
8-3 (Covid so 11 games)
7-5
4-8
6-4 (about to be 6-6 after losses to texas and KSU)

And that's with Purdy and Breece Hall. On top of being boring, he is about to be 4-8 and 6-6 in years 7 and 8. How on earth could y'all want him but not Gus?

parabrave
11-13-2023, 05:28 PM
What happened to Marc Richt?

smootness
11-13-2023, 05:30 PM
I get it. I think fans are going to be torn into the safe hire crowd and the go big hire crowd. I'll support either but I'm in the go big crowd myself. I see both sides though.

Matt Campbell is going big.

This thread is proof that this is not an easy job. We have plenty of delusional fans.

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:31 PM

3-9
7-5
8-4
7-5
8-3 (Covid so 11 games)
7-5
4-8

And that's with Purdy and Breece Hall. On top of being boring, he is about to be 4-8 and 6-6 in years 7 and 8. How on earth could y'all want him but not Gus?

Because he has done this at Iowa State, who isn't a top recruiting school nor in a state that is a hotbed of talent. Gus was at Auburn with top 10 classes every year, and he never developed anyone at QB into a Brock Purdy.

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:36 PM
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/5/19/22444782/matt-campbell-turned-down-lucrative-contract-detroit-lions

He's also turned down several overtures from other schools during his time at Iowa State.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Because he has done this at Iowa State, who isn't a top recruiting school nor in a state that is a hotbed of talent. Gus was at Auburn with top 10 classes every year, and he never developed anyone at QB into a Brock Purdy.

He's a 6.25-5.75 coach at Iowa state. Playing 2 top 30 recruiters each year.
Gus was a 8.4-3.6 coach at auburn. Playing 7-8 top 30 recruiters every year, including Bama and UGA

KB21
11-13-2023, 05:42 PM
Gus was a 8.4-3.6 coach at auburn. Playing 7-8 top 30 recruiters every year, including Bama and UGA

Iowa State has punched above their talent level under Campbell. They overachieved. Auburn under Gus didn't punch above their talent level. They underachieved a lot. That doesn't even take into account that Gus cannot develop a QB at all.

dawgday166
11-13-2023, 05:42 PM

Surely you've figured this out before now

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 05:46 PM

Gus had Top 10 talent every year at Auburn but finished in the Top 10 just 2 times and unranked 2 times. What's ISU average recruiting ranking and how many times has Campbell finished higher than his recruiting? Nearly every season?

Bdawg
11-13-2023, 06:01 PM

3-9
7-5
8-4
7-5
8-3 (Covid so 11 games)
7-5
4-8

If he recruited and developed both of these quarterbacks, why would you hold that against him? Do you hold Dak against Dan?

confucius say
11-13-2023, 06:05 PM
Iowa State has punched above their talent level under Campbell. They overachieved. Auburn under Gus didn't punch above their talent level. They underachieved a lot. That doesn't even take into account that Gus cannot develop a QB at all.

Underachieved? 8.4-3.6 at auburn is not underachieving. They play three top 7 recruiters every year in uga, Bama, and lsu.

Iowa state has been the 6th-7th recruiter in the Big 12 (three years 6, three years 7, one year 8), and he has been a 6.25-5.75 coach. He's not punching above his talent level at all.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 06:09 PM
Gus had Top 10 talent every year at Auburn but finished in the Top 10 just 2 times and unranked 2 times. What's ISU average recruiting ranking and how many times has Campbell finished higher than his recruiting? Nearly every season?

Gus played at least 4 top 10 recruiters every year. And had to go head to head yearly with the two best dynasties of our generation. Even if you're the 9th best team in America, if you are 8-3 and somebody who doesn't play anybody is 10-1 then you're going to be behind them. That's how rankings work. Look at power ratings and tell me how auburn stacked up.

Y'all cannot be serious that you would want Campbell over gus

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 06:12 PM
Gus played at least 4 top 10 recruiters every year. And had to go head to head yearly with the two best dynasties of our generation.

I'm not saying I want Gus but starting a rock throwing fight over Matt freakin' Campbell blows my mind. He's a decent recruiter who's had decent results. No more no less. We would win 6 or 7 games a year, recruit in the top 40 and call it a day. Not exactly something that makes me want to break the checkbook out.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 06:13 PM
If he recruited and developed both of these quarterbacks, why would you hold that against him? Do you hold Dak against Dan?

Only one of those is a QB.
Nope. Not at all.
My point was he had one of the best QB and RB in the nfl and was still a 7-5 coach. If Dan could do no better than 7-5/8-4 with Dak and an all pro caliber RB against that schedule, yes I would hold it against Dan.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 06:14 PM
I'm not saying I want Gus but starting a rock throwing fight over Matt freakin' Campbell blows my mind. He's a decent recruiter who's had decent results. No more no less. We would win 6 or 7 games a year, recruit in the top 40 and call it a day. Not exactly something that makes me want to break the checkbook out.

Correct. I'm not saying I want gus as my first choice either, but I'm shocked folks who poo-pood Gus think Matt Campbell is a great hire (not aimed at any one person, just the board as a whole)

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 06:22 PM
Gus played at least 4 top 10 recruiters every year. And had to go head to head yearly with the two best dynasties of our generation.

Dude, Gus had Top 10 talent every year at Auburn. It wasn't like he was facing other Top 10 recruiting teams while he was the bottom half of the SEC. He underachieved per his recruiting. ISU averaged 7th in a league of 10 teams with like 4 - 4 star recruits during his entire time at ISU. I'm not going to keep arguing but you are way off thinking that Gus matched his recruiting rankings. Campbell has exceed his recruiting rankings in wins. It's not even a close debate. To answer your question, I absolutely would take Campbell over Gus. Gus ain't bad at all but he's not better. Campbell beat OK St this year too.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-13-2023, 06:32 PM
Detroit Lions offered him, don't know why he turned it down but they offered him a couple of years ago.

Not exactly. I have a copy of the phone call transcript:

Lions dial number
Campbell: "Hello"
Lions: "Coach Campbell, we are offering you the job as the head coach of the Detroit Lions."
Campbell: "I'm honored and I accept. I can't wait to get to Detroit and get to work"
Lions: "We think a lot of you Dan. We know you can get it done here in Detroit"
Campbell: "Dan? My name is Matt"
Lions: "Sorry, we called the wrong Campbell"
Click.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 06:47 PM
Dude, Gus had Top 10 talent every year at Auburn. It wasn't like he was facing other Top 10 recruiting teams while he was the bottom half of the SEC. He underachieved per his recruiting. ISU averaged 7th in a league of 10 teams with like 4 - 4 star recruits during his entire time at ISU. I'm not going to keep arguing but you are way off thinking that Gus matched his recruiting rankings. Campbell has exceed his recruiting rankings in wins. It's not even a close debate. To answer your question, I absolutely would take Campbell over Gus. Gus ain't bad at all but he's not better. Campbell beat OK St this year too.

Bro, no he didn't. You're looking at recruiting rankings and top 25 AP rankings. You're smarter than that. You can be the 9th recruiter, lose to number 2,3, and 6 and finish 9-3 and you're finishing worse than 9th. You know this. But look at a power poll and you're top 10. Look at 2019. They play 4 top ten teams, lose to three and beat Bama, finish 9-3 and outside the top 10.

How in the world has Campbell exceeded his recruiting rankings as a 6-6 coach? You're saying he should he be a 4-8 coach at a P5 school as the 6th/7th recruiter in his league but coaches them up to 6-6?

And on your last sentence, Gus beat Ok state too. 45-3. Despite being first year in a power 5. If you're using that as a metric, Gus>>>Campbell.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 06:59 PM
I do not believe Campbell will be an option now

msstate7
11-13-2023, 07:07 PM

Cooter hates all sort of successful HCs

Tater
11-13-2023, 07:13 PM
Campbell would solidly be meh. I see His ceiling HERE as a step below Mullen. His floor is lower than Mullen's was but I think he keeps us in a bowl every year. I'd rather run Mullen 2.0 back.

I'm basing my wants on would I want that person over Mullen 2.0? Campbell is below the cut line for me.

jimbo352
11-13-2023, 07:21 PM
Throw the known names off the board for the sake of conversation. What would yall think about someone like Jeff Traylor getting a hard look? Are most of you looking for a name or the right fit? Offensive mind, or program builder?

mo7888
11-13-2023, 07:23 PM
Throw the known names off the board for the sake of conversation. What would yall think about someone like Jeff Traylor getting a hard look? Are most of you looking for a name or the right fit? Offensive mind, or program builder?

He should be on the list.

defiantdog
11-13-2023, 07:23 PM
Traylor ain't leaving Texas

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 07:30 PM
Cooter hates all sort of successful HCs

He's not going to be our coach and he's not great without Purdy.
I like real options.

TALL DAWG
11-13-2023, 07:31 PM
Anyone mentioned Jon Sumrall from Troy.

Cooterpoot
11-13-2023, 07:33 PM
Anyone mentioned Jon Sumrall from Troy.

Yes but if we hire him I'll be both surprised and disappointed.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 07:51 PM
I want Leipold. He's my number 1. Won at out of the way places. Program builder. Does more with less. Exciting offense.
Let's do it.

Pancho
11-13-2023, 07:52 PM
kansas really was a graveyard

confucius say
11-13-2023, 07:54 PM
kansas really was a graveyard

and I think buffalo was a train wreck that he took to the conference championship

msstate7
11-13-2023, 07:55 PM
I want Leipold. He's my number 1. Won at out of the way places. Program builder. Does more with less. Exciting offense.
Let's do it.

He will have better options than us, but I'm down if he will bite

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 07:57 PM
Let's do it.

Great coach and would love to have him but it's not happening. He will take a better job or stay at Kansas.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 07:57 PM
He will have better options than us, but I'm down if he will bite

Probably. But we can pay 8 million. Not sure how many other openings will be able to pay that. We have a huge additional amount of revenue coming next year too.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 07:58 PM
Great coach and would love to have him but it's not happening. He will take a better job or stay at Kansas.

Don't kill my dreams brother!!
Yea I know it's unlikely. But I'd make him say no.

Pancho
11-13-2023, 07:59 PM
simply make him say the word no

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 08:00 PM
Probably. But we can pay 8 million. Not sure how many other openings will be able to pay that. We have a huge additional amount of revenue coming next year too.

What's left on his contract averages to $8 MIL per year on what we can offer in Mississippi so that's just matching what he's still owed at Kansas.

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 08:03 PM
Don't kill my dreams brother!!
Yea I know it's unlikely. But I'd make him say no.

Lol. You keep those dreams alive! Sure, make the call to the agent for sure. Where things stand right now, I think it's 50/50 he goes to MI St or stays. What else opens up can change things and a bigger school could come calling. He is down TAM's list right now but you never know how things shake out.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:05 PM
Guys, he's basically a .500 coach (52?46 at Iowa State and 4-4 in bowls). Without Brock Purdy he probably has a losing record. He's an ok coach but acting like we should be on our hands and knees begging him to come is just crazy. Most people would yawn at the hire because there's better, more exciting options out there.

At a worse job than msu and that's saying something.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:07 PM

Did you factor in what Iowa state recruits.??? Their recruiting ranking is low. The job is tough.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:08 PM

Holy shit we agree on something. I said it.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:10 PM
Let's do it.
We'll go to number 2 on your list. Ain't getting him.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:12 PM

When you make 5.5 million 2 million isn't going to get you to bolt when bigger and better are going to be available to you. We aren't getting him. Just move on

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 08:22 PM
Yes but if we hire him I'll be both surprised and disappointed.

Me too!

BuckyIsAB****
11-13-2023, 08:26 PM
Correct

RiverCityDawg
11-13-2023, 08:38 PM
We'll go to number 2 on your list. Ain't getting him.

What's your take on Chadwell? He's been my choice for a few weeks and now seems to be on all the media candidate lists.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 08:40 PM
Did you factor in what Iowa state recruits.??? Their recruiting ranking is low. The job is tough.

Yea he is the 6th or 7th recruiter in the conference. Still that with 14 teams and was with 10. He should be around 6-6 and is.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 08:40 PM
What's left on his contract averages to $8 MIL per year on what we can offer in Mississippi so that's just matching what he's still owed at Kansas.

Wait, so what is his total buyout?

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 08:48 PM
Wait, so what is his total buyout?

$12.5 MIL is his buyout. To just match what's left on his contract would be $8 MIL per year here. He's owed about $31.8 MIL on his contract.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 08:54 PM
He's not going to be our coach and he's not great without Purdy.
I like real options.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/pHb82xtBPfqEg/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9520csridvgrkrte2r4sw4ivm5qi53y f7t3lfic2tax&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 08:54 PM
What's your take on Chadwell? He's been my choice for a few weeks and now seems to be on all the media candidate lists.

I like him. But not sure it's likely.

jimbo352
11-13-2023, 09:12 PM

We're not shelling out 8 mil, for anyone. East your mind on that idea. Not saying it is impossible, but it will be a stretch and also perfect storm to get a coach in that range. We're going to find a guy in the 4 to 5 mil range. which was really part of the point of my last post. Jeff Taylor would jump at the opportunity to coach in the SEC imo, and I was trying to think of other guys like that. 4.5 mil is a big time raise for him, and he is definitely a program builder. Leopold would be a great get, but I think he'd just assume stay at a place he has built up, and wait for a bigger gig. SEC is big time and our football program is better.... I just think winning may come easier at Kansas with Texas and OU leaving the big 12. No reason to risk it.... Jon Sumrall is interesting. Has experience in the south and Mississippi.

I for one am kind of sketchy about hiring a coordinator with no HC exp.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 09:22 PM
$12.5 MIL is his buyout. To just match what's left on his contract would be $8 MIL per year here. He's owed about $31.8 MIL on his contract.

Ok I think I follow.
Well I'd pay pay the 12.5. We have an estimated 70 million coming from tv next year. Then offer 8 million and see if he wants to coach in the sec.
I'm sure it's a no though.

Fisch seems more attainable.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 09:27 PM
Ok I think I follow.
Well I'd pay pay the 12.5. We have an estimated 70 million coming from tv next year. Then offer 8 million and see if he wants to coach in the sec.
I'm sure it's a no though.

Fisch seems more attainable.

So you want to pay 45 mil for a guy that's a good coach but could fail just as easy as the next guy. I'm all for paying a guy for what he's worth but he hasn't proven he's worth anywhere near that.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 09:37 PM
So you want to pay 45 mil for a guy that's a good coach but could fail just as easy as the next guy. I'm all for paying a guy for what he's worth but he hasn't proven he's worth anywhere near that.

I want to identify my guy who is a proven head coach that I think is the real deal and yes, pay him 8 million a year. If selmon thinks that is leipold or somebody else, do it. Enough of this taking a gamble on coordinators who have never lead a program.

Jarius
11-13-2023, 10:08 PM
Matt Campbell would be a very very very good hire. One of the most successful coaches in that school?s history.

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 10:10 PM
I want to identify my guy who is a proven head coach that I think is the real deal and yes, pay him 8 million a year. If selmon thinks that is leipold or somebody else, do it. Enough of this taking a gamble on coordinators who have never lead a program.

No matter who it is?? So pay him 8 mil just because regardless of resume?? If so glad you aren't the ad.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 10:25 PM
No matter who it is?? So pay him 8 mil just because regardless of resume?? If so glad you aren't the ad.

Of course it matters who it is. I included resume requirements. It has to be the person you identify as the guy who is a proven winning head coach at this level. Anybody who fits that will be 8 million.

Now if I can't land a P5 proven winner and have to go G5 proven winner, I can pay less, of course.
But your best bet at a sure thing is a proven P5 winner that you believe is the guy (even if it's Campbell).

Homedawg
11-13-2023, 10:29 PM
Of course it matters who it is. I included resume requirements. It has to be the person you identify as the guy who is a proven winning head coach at this level. Anybody who fits that will be 8 million.

Now if I can't land a P5 proven winner and have to go G5 proven winner, I can pay less, of course.
But your best bet at a sure thing is a proven P5 winner that you believe is the guy (even if it's Campbell).

Ok that's fair. You hadn't spelled it out that well prior.... I can I understand that. Just don't think we are gonna get a proven power 5 proven winner. (Ever how one defines that is in eyes of beholder ) I'm certainly not advocating going cheap. But you can't pay like crazy just bc we have an opening is what I'm saying.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 10:31 PM
Ok that's fair. You hadn't spelled it out that well prior.... I can I understand that. Just don't think we are gonna get a proven power 5 proven winner. (Ever how one defines that is in eyes of beholder ) I'm certainly not advocating going cheap. But you can't pay like crazy just bc we have an opening is what I'm saying.

Yea I agree with that. We certainly don't need to overpay what the market demands.

preachermatt83
11-13-2023, 11:04 PM
You aren’t hiring a sec caliber head coach for less than 6 million a year

BuckyIsAB****
11-14-2023, 05:27 AM
Matt Campbell would be a very very very good hire. One of the most successful coaches in that school?s history.

Absolutely

sandjunky
11-14-2023, 07:24 AM
You aren’t hiring a sec caliber head coach for less than 6 million a year

We saw what shopping at Dollar General got us

Lord McBuckethead
11-14-2023, 08:15 AM
Every name you hear or see, isn?t really the guy. Haven?t we been through this a few times.

preachermatt83
11-14-2023, 11:24 AM
We saw what shopping at Dollar General got us

This!