PDA

View Full Version : Y'all may think I'm crazy....

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 12:31 PM
But the best way for us to really have a shot at competing in recruiting amongst these SEC behemoths down here is to hire an Eric Bieniemy, Raheem Morris, Byron Leftwich type. Someone that brings some swagger with NFL or high CFB experience but can relate to the best athletes in the Deep South. A lot of these kids would love an African American coach option, they just don't have any down here in the SEC.
Basically a little Deion Sanders without the massive ego. Am I nuts? Probably

StarkVegasSteve
11-13-2023, 12:32 PM
You are not nuts because if Brian Johnson would come, I would hire him by 1 PM. However, no NFL guys are coming back to college. They have no desire to deal with what college football has become in this day and age.

Gutter Cobreh
11-13-2023, 12:34 PM
Having swag = having an ego... You can't have one without the other...

Like the idea though; we need a shot in the arm so whatever coach brings that - I'm all for it!

Maroonthirteen
11-13-2023, 12:38 PM
I think you're correct. However I think getting the recruits to campus is one thing and organizing a team is the next level. What has Eddie George done at Tennessee State? I'm really asking because I don't hear anything about him.

Anways, short of it, great idea but doesn't necessarily insure success.

msstate7
11-13-2023, 12:38 PM
Interview sherrone moore of Michigan. He's been their OC the last 2 years, and he's currently their interim

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 12:43 PM
Having swag = having an ego... You can't have one without the other...

Like the idea though; we need a shot in the arm so whatever coach brings that - I'm all for it!

There's a lot of middle ground between Croom and Deion....I'm wanting more confidence than Croom, less "all about me" than Deion.

And as to the other post about Eddie George someone made....I would want someone with far more high level NFL or P5 coaching experience than an Eddie George. Not just someone that played at a high level....that never tends to work well

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 12:44 PM
Interview sherrone moore of Michigan. He's been their OC the last 2 years, and he's currently their interim

I don't hate it. Just not super well known. Not a splash, but I like it. And winning creates its own splash

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2023, 01:21 PM
I don't hate it. Just not super well known. Not a splash, but I like it. And winning creates its own splash

I think the difficulty would be finding someone that fits that bill. Unlike baseball, NFL players don't seem to gravitate back into coaching. With the expansive Minor League system, baseball players who can't cut it move on to coaching before they even have a chance to think about it. The NFL doesn't seem to foster players transitioning to coaches anywhere near as well. And I think with the P5 coaching carrousel being what it is, you don't have a lot of NFL players going back to coach for their college coaches either.
It's exceedingly rare for a guy like Prime to coach college ball.

I'd be very interested to see if a guy like Byron Leftwich would be willing to coach college ball. I think he's definitely the type guy you are talking about

Churchill
11-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Is he the guy that gave the crazy interview after their Penn State game ?

msstate7
11-13-2023, 01:25 PM
Is he the guy that gave the crazy interview after their Penn State game ?

Probably. What did he say?

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 01:31 PM
I think the difficulty would be finding someone that fits that bill. Unlike baseball, NFL players don't seem to gravitate back into coaching. With the expansive Minor League system, baseball players who can't cut it move on to coaching before they even have a chance to think about it. The NFL doesn't seem to foster players transitioning to coaches anywhere near as well. And I think with the P5 coaching carrousel being what it is, you don't have a lot of NFL players going back to coach for their college coaches either.
It's exceedingly rare for a guy like Prime to coach college ball.

I'd be very interested to see if a guy like Byron Leftwich would be willing to coach college ball. I think he's definitely the type guy you are talking about

I feel like Leftwich would kill it in the college game, and you're right, exactly the type of guy I'm talking about.

smootness
11-13-2023, 01:31 PM
Sherrone Moore was a TE coach 3 years ago, and Byron Leftwich is an NFL HC candidate. Neither one is worth discussing for our job.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 01:32 PM
Just hire the best coach regardless of race. There have been many black coaches and few have dominated recruiting. Look no further than Mel Tucker.

Churchill
11-13-2023, 01:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcg4Y5jlEhc

msstate7
11-13-2023, 01:39 PM
Sherrone Moore was a TE coach 3 years ago, and Byron Leftwich is an NFL HC candidate. Neither one is worth discussing for our job.

OP was mentioning black coaches, so I threw Moore's name out. Don't feel strong about him at all, but the fact he was a TE coach 3 years ago seems pretty irrelevant to me. He's been an OC the last 2 years, and he's the guy being put in charge of a national contender right now. Also, Dan Campbell was the saints' te coach 2 years ago when the lions hired him. That's worked out well.

msstate7
11-13-2023, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcg4Y5jlEhc

Real men cry

smootness
11-13-2023, 01:45 PM
OP was mentioning black coaches, so I threw Moore's name out. Don't feel strong about him at all, but the fact he was a TE coach 3 years ago seems pretty irrelevant to me. He's been an OC the last 2 years, and he's the guy being put in charge of a national contender right now. Also, Dan Campbell was the saints' te coach 2 years ago when the lions hired him. That's worked out well.

All I have seen is fans claiming we were stupid to hire Arnett because he wasn?t ready. He was no less ready than Moore is.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Probably. What did he say?

He was crying and blabbering about how wronged they have been.

viverlibre
11-13-2023, 01:50 PM
But the best way for us to really have a shot at competing in recruiting amongst these SEC behemoths down here is to hire an Eric Bieniemy, Raheem Morris, Byron Leftwich type. Someone that brings some swagger with NFL or high CFB experience but can relate to the best athletes in the Deep South. A lot of these kids would love an African American coach option, they just don't have any down here in the SEC.
Basically a little Deion Sanders without the massive ego. Am I nuts? Probably

You just summed up Croom, that worked out so well.

msstate7
11-13-2023, 01:51 PM
All I have seen is fans claiming we were stupid to hire Arnett because he wasn?t ready. He was no less ready than Moore is.

A lot of the same fans want lebby and k. Briles. I don't think the problem was arnett's experience level... it's he just wasn't very good. I think all coaching hires are guesses for a program at our level, and most end up bad

StarkVegasSteve
11-13-2023, 01:54 PM
He was crying and blabbering about how wronged they have been.

He made it sound like Harbaugh was shot on the tarmac by the NCAA.

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 01:58 PM
You just summed up Croom, that worked out so well.

Not at all. Croom brought no energy, no swag, no connection to the best athletes EXCEPT being black. Big difference

Maverick91
11-13-2023, 02:25 PM
In the day and age of the portal recruiting and retention is much like the NFL now. That?s why I think Deion is going to do well because he is looking at the players like an NFL GM would.

Bringing in someone who understands the new age of recruiting is basically retention through the portal is a good call.

EdwardDrayton
11-13-2023, 06:45 PM
Stop saying there are coaches that will not take our job. If you pay them, there are very very few who have greater interests than the money. Saban is one. He's going to stay at Bama until he dies. Beyond that, we can probably buy anyone.

MaroonFlounder
11-13-2023, 07:41 PM
Stop saying there are coaches that will not take our job. If you pay them, there are very very few who have greater interests than the money. Saban is one. He's going to stay at Bama until he dies. Beyond that, we can probably buy anyone.

Then let’s get Urban Meyer on the phone

viverlibre
11-13-2023, 07:58 PM
Not at all. Croom brought no energy, no swag, no connection to the best athletes EXCEPT being black. Big difference

He was a long time NFL assistance and coordinator. He had tons of connections, coached the best RB to ever play.

Pancho
11-13-2023, 07:59 PM
I could have coached the RB's