PDA

View Full Version : Hot take: The MSU job is not a hard job...

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 10:12 AM
That's a big narrative out there in the media and maybe among coaches too.

Is it hard to win a natty at MSU? Is it hard to beat Alabama, UGA, and LSU? Hell yes, but that's not what is expected by pretty much anyone.

Over a 4 year stretch, if you can go 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4 that is not only acceptable, you will probably get a raise. Mullen went 69-46 without many big wins and got the UF job. Could have gotten the UT job.

We basically start every season with 4 wins now. This isn't Jackie Sherrill's era. We have a money and facility advantage over 100 teams in D1. The recruiting footprint is there. The NIL for 7-8 wins is there and getting better. Strike gold with a QB like Dak and 9-10 wins is doable. Do that and you are getting a statue. The expectations at MSU are realistic. The fan base, for the most part, is realistic.

The tough jobs are both UT's, the Florida's of the world, Arkansas, A&M, etc. They have super high expecations with low chances of meeting them.

C&DDAWG32
11-13-2023, 10:20 AM
100% agree.

RagMag
11-13-2023, 10:27 AM
long time lurker here. just wanted to add that if you meet those expectations AND beat Ole Miss more often than not...you will have a job forever and probably become the highest paid coach in the school's history. alumni would crawl out of the woodwork to keep you lol.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 10:31 AM
Mullen averaged a 7.1-4.9 record in the regular season here and is considered our best ever. Average 7-5/8-4 and you can get filthy rich here over a decade.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2023, 10:31 AM
This is the correct take. It's not the popular opinion so you'll get blasted but good for you for actually using your brain. That's rare these days.
Mullen was close to having a statue. A few more 8-4 seasons and he would have.

cheewgumm
11-13-2023, 10:37 AM
Arnett didn?t even make it through one season.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 10:37 AM
I spoke to a Miss. St friend Saturday that is close to a particular agent in the Memphis area. This agent is pretty well known (do the math). He said he had already asked about State opening up and was told "It's an SEC job, there's plenty of interest."

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 10:41 AM

He was an interim coach hired by the school's President.

TheLostDawg
11-13-2023, 10:44 AM

Yes and look at the staff he hired. He set himself up for failure. I'm sure that he thought that he'd have three years to get his stuff installed but that's not what he was hired to do. He was suppose to run the defense and keep a similar offense so this season wasn't wasted. Instead he hired a DC what wasn't ready and an OC that overhauled the offense instead of slowly adjusting over the three years

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 11:23 AM
Over a 4 year stretch, if you can go 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4 that is not only acceptable, you will probably get a raise. Mullen went 69-46 without many big wins and got the UF job. Could have gotten the UT job.

I have to disagree with this part. We fired JOMO after an 8-4 and 6-6 seasons. He didn't get a raise, he went 2-0 against the bears and got shitcanned. Last year -heading into the egg bowl, CML was starting to get heat. If CML had gone 6-6 this year, he would have gone 7-5, 8-4, and 6-6 and I fully believe he would have been on the extreme hot seat.

Its very easy to say that MSU will build a statute at 7-5/8-4 type coach. The truth is, we don't actually do that. Our fanbase believes that 6-6/7-5 is the absolute floor of our program. If you throw up floor seasons, you will get fired. Mullen was about to get fired before he won the 2013 egg bowl. That was an emotional win, and then he turned in two awesome seasons.

Also, you have to factor in that the SEC is changing, adding OU and Texas. Have you looked at our SEC opponents next year:

Arkansas Razorbacks.
Florida Gators.
Georgia Bulldogs.
Missouri Tigers.
Ole Miss Rebels.
Tennessee Volunteers.
Texas Longhorns.
Texas A&M Aggies

I mean holy shit. We will be favored against UPig (probably) and underdogs against the rest. I mean we swap Bama for Texas and LSU for UGA.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 11:29 AM
Joe didn't get fired for his record.
He got fired because the program fell apart off the field. And our AD tried to talk to him about it but he wouldn't listen.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 11:40 AM
Joe didn't get fired for his record.
He got fired because the program fell apart off the field. And our AD tried to talk to him about it but he wouldn't listen.

There can always be a reason. My point is that the idea that 6-6/7-5 seasons at MSU keep you safe is just not true.

dawgday166
11-13-2023, 11:47 AM
I have to disagree with this part. We fired JOMO after an 8-4 and 6-6 seasons. He didn't get a raise, he went 2-0 against the bears and got shitcanned. Last year -heading into the egg bowl, CML was starting to get heat. If CML had gone 6-6 this year, he would have gone 7-5, 8-4, and 6-6 and I fully believe he would have been on the extreme hot seat.

Its very easy to say that MSU will build a statute at 7-5/8-4 type coach. The truth is, we don't actually do that. Our fanbase believes that 6-6/7-5 is the absolute floor of our program. If you throw up floor seasons, you will get fired. Mullen was about to get fired before he won the 2013 egg bowl. That was an emotional win, and then he turned in two awesome seasons.

Also, you have to factor in that the SEC is changing, adding OU and Texas. Have you looked at our SEC opponents next year:

Arkansas Razorbacks.
Florida Gators.
Georgia Bulldogs.
Missouri Tigers.
Ole Miss Rebels.
Tennessee Volunteers.
Texas Longhorns.
Texas A&M Aggies

I mean holy shit. We will be favored against UPig (probably) and underdogs against the rest. I mean we swap Bama for Texas and LSU for UGA.

I agree. MSU is a very tough job. Surrounded by a top 2, two top 10, and a top 20 recruiters. And with a lower budget than all of those schools.

Our fans expect no less than 8 wins. Leach won 7 and 8 games in years 2 and 3, 4 SEC games 2 years in a row, and yet a lot of fans were blistering towards him. Mullen took a ton of heat in 2016 for a team that ended up being the majority of the 2017 and 18 teams.

Our fans also tend to think our true freshmen should play like Bama true freshman, especially the QB.

At a minimum an MSU coach has to win half the games against OM and many fans think we should own KY too.

It's a very tough job IMO.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2023, 11:55 AM
There can always be a reason. My point is that the idea that 6-6/7-5 seasons at MSU keep you safe is just not true.

It can - but you have to have your house in order. Don't take the internet crowd as reflective of our fanbase or administration.
A coach who comes in and has a quality culture off the field, maintains an organized gameday operation (team looks prepared, fights hard, can manage a clock), and has just a little bit of salesmanship will survive long term with a Mullen-like record. Hell, Mullen didn't do half that many want him back (and don't believe for one second that he was close to being fired in 2013).

JoMo was combative with fans and killed a winning culture. It was obvious we were going backwards. He would have gone 1-9 in '20 with the COVID situation because players had no rules and all of them would have gotten COVID and missed games like crazy.
Same with Arnett - he killed a culture. I wanted the him to be the guy - but he wasn't and we've done the right thing.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 12:02 PM
It can - but you have to have your house in order. Don't take the internet crowd as reflective of our fanbase or administration.
A coach who comes in and has a quality culture off the field, maintains an organized gameday operation (team looks prepared, fights hard, can manage a clock), and has just a little bit of salesmanship will survive long term with a Mullen-like record. Hell, Mullen didn't do half that many want him back (and don't believe for one second that he was close to being fired in 2013).

JoMo was combative with fans and killed a winning culture. It was obvious we were going backwards. He would have gone 1-9 in '20 with the COVID situation because players had no rules and all of them would have gotten COVID and missed games like crazy.
Same with Arnett - he killed a culture. I wanted the him to be the guy - but he wasn't and we've done the right thing.

My point is that culture always becomes a problem when your team is 2-6. You know when culture is not a problem? When you are 6-2 in the SEC and Gameday is at your campus.

I've never heard of a team having great chemistry, culture, attitude, work ethic or conditioning when you are 4-6. Except in August of that season. Truth is that you can have a team full of talented shitheads that go 9-3 and the culture is god awful. You can also have a team full of kids doing everything the right way and go 4-8.

R2Dawg
11-13-2023, 12:33 PM

Is it hard to win a natty at MSU? Is it hard to beat Alabama, UGA, and LSU? Hell yes, but that's not what is expected by pretty much anyone.

We basically start every season with 4 wins now. This isn't Jackie Sherrill's era. We have a money and facility advantage over 100 teams in D1. The recruiting footprint is there. The NIL for 7-8 wins is there and getting better. Strike gold with a QB like Dak and 9-10 wins is doable. Do that and you are getting a statue. The expectations at MSU are realistic. The fan base, for the most part, is realistic.

The tough jobs are both UT's, the Florida's of the world, Arkansas, A&M, etc. They have super high expecations with low chances of meeting them.

This is true and the narrative needs to change and I think in some media it has. 13 straight bowls will help do that. We are fair to coaches. We gave Croom 5 years for goodness sake. No program in SEC would ever do that even Vandy.

R2Dawg
11-13-2023, 12:35 PM

Good post and tend to agree.

R2Dawg
11-13-2023, 12:37 PM
I spoke to a Miss. St friend Saturday that is close to a particular agent in the Memphis area. This agent is pretty well known (do the math). He said he had already asked about State opening up and was told "It's an SEC job, there's plenty of interest."

Sure there is. Kinda like buying land. Many times you only get one shot in life at a piece of land. You may only have one opportunity to coach in best conf in America and it may be at MSU - you take it.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 01:10 PM
My point is that culture always becomes a problem when your team is 2-6. You know when culture is not a problem? When you are 6-2 in the SEC and Gameday is at your campus.

I've never heard of a team having great chemistry, culture, attitude, work ethic or conditioning when you are 4-6. Except in August of that season. Truth is that you can have a team full of talented shitheads that go 9-3 and the culture is god awful. You can also have a team full of kids doing everything the right way and go 4-8.

No, that wasn't your point. Your point was that we fired JOMO after going 8-5 and 6-6. BrunswickDawg gave you a great answer on why.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 01:25 PM
No, that wasn't your point. Your point was that we fired JOMO after going 8-5 and 6-6. BrunswickDawg gave you a great answer on why.

Yeah - the why part is subjective. You don't think that the next coach that goes 6-6 will have "culture" problems? You don't think our next coach goes 7-5 with a blowout loss to the bears and only SEC wins against Vandy, Arkansas and AU will be on the hot seat?

You were just like me last year headed into the egg bowl. We both were frustrated with the offense and the defense carrying the team. I think a lot of the fan base would have felt the same if a few things break the wrong way in that game and he goes 7-5. I think if he goes 6-6 with "great culture" this year he would have been under a great deal of scrutiny, the same way Arnett is getting fired for going 5-7.

I just don't think our program or fanbase will accept consistent 6-6/7-5 seasons.

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 01:27 PM
State fans use the eye test, but are realistic for the most part. In other words, we knew Mullen was getting most of what he could out of our program in terms of wins. Our eyes told us. Common sense told us.

JoMo and Arnett were never improving. None. Not getting anywhere near what they could out of the talent on hand. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see it. When State fans see improvement and effort, we are patient and understanding as a whole. But when you arent improving and aren't showing max effort as a team or staff...we see it, and we hate it.

We are the common sense fan base. It's why winners like Mullen and Sherrill stayed for a long time, and why losers like JoMo and Arnett didn't even get their crap unpacked. We know football and can see what we've got early on. If your girlfriend has multiple traits you know you could never live with, you don't keep dating her....you move on until you find wife material.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 01:29 PM

But the exact opposite is true. Joe winning the egg to get to 6-6 saves his job. He had a year three.

Then crap hit the fan the week of the bowl game off the field. If 6-6 was the reason he was fired, we would have fired him after the egg bowl.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 01:35 PM
But the exact opposite is true. Joe winning the egg to get to 6-6 saves his job. He had a year three.

Then crap hit the fan the week of the bowl game off the field. If 6-6 was the reason he was fired, we would have fired him after the egg bowl.

That is my point, your W-L record doesn't guarantee you a safe job at MSU. There were multiple reports that he was going to get fired after the egg bowl, then he gave his big "come at me" speech after the game and we blinked. Then bowl week happened and we also lost the game, and the plan was put back in action because we weren't going to accept 6-6. We simply froze when push came to shove.

My overall point remains, if you go 6-6/7-5 at MSU, you do not have a job for life, and no one is building a statue of you. Our program is better than that.

smootness
11-13-2023, 01:42 PM
I love everyone claiming posting a Mullen record leads to the fanbase being totally satisfied and happy, as though half our fans were not perpetually annoyed by and upset by Mullen.

Mullen did an incredible job here, all things considered. Doing what he did is not easy, it is extremely difficult. And we still were almost never totally happy with him.

HoopsDawg
11-13-2023, 01:43 PM
I love everyone claiming posting a Mullen record leads to the fanbase being totally satisfied and happy, as though half our fans were not perpetually annoyed by and upset by Mullen.

Mullen did an incredible job here, all things considered. Doing what he did is not easy, it is extremely difficult. And we still were almost never totally happy with him.

Mainly due to his constant November job hunting.

smootness
11-13-2023, 01:50 PM

First, that is not true. People were upset with him for all kinds of reasons - he was a victim of his own success. Country club, recruiting, never winning the big games, etc.

Also, this just further proves the point Hancock is making. Fans will basically always find some reason why their coach is not the best, regardless of his record, especially at a school like State where you will almost always lose at least 4 games.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 01:51 PM

But he wasn't getting fired for it. That's the point. He averaged 7.1-4.9.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 01:54 PM

There is always a reason to get annoyed with a coach that is going 6-6/7-5. Culture/Lack of recruiting/Job hunting/close losses.

People forget that he went 2-6 in the SEC in 2011, then went 4-4 in the SEC after starting out 4-0 in 2012 a brutal loss to a bad bear team, and heading into the 2013 egg bowl, we were staring at a 2-6 SEC record with a loss, and people were ready to fire him before that game. I'm not sure if ED goes back that far, but i was here and it was being discussed by a bunch of people. Dak becomes the starting QB and the next two years happen and things are great. Then 2016 season happens, which sucked, except for Thanksgiving.

Bottom line is that our program is too good to think we will be a happy fan base if you throw up consistent 6-6/7-5 seasons. We will come up with a subjective reason we are tired of you, when the real reason is that you aren't winning consistently enough.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 01:55 PM
That is my point, your W-L record doesn't guarantee you a safe job at MSU. There were multiple reports that he was going to get fired after the egg bowl, then he gave his big "come at me" speech after the game and we blinked. Then bowl week happened and we also lost the game, and the plan was put back in action because we weren't going to accept 6-6. We simply froze when push came to shove.

My overall point remains, if you go 6-6/7-5 at MSU, you do not have a job for life, and no one is building a statue of you. Our program is better than that.

No that wasn't your point.
First, nobody said 6-6 gives you a job for life. 7-5/8-4 does, that is what was said. Your point was that it does not and you cited Joe. But Joe kept his job for going 8-4/6-6. We didn't fire him when he did that. We fired him after the fight the week of the bowl game.

The only way 7-5/8-4 gets you fired here is off the field issues.

smootness
11-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Uh, the claim was that you would have a statue built.

HancockCountyDog

That is because he had two 9-win seasons and a 10-win season. So on average - 9 seasons, 3 9+ win seasons, so on average every 3 years you are getting to 9 wins in one of those seasons. So yes, if you give us 6-6, 7-5, and then 9-3, you are extremely safe.

Dawgology

This. Is. 100%. A. NON. Factor.

I hear this every time a coach is fired. A previous coaches tenure doesn?t mean ANYTHING to a head coach. If it does then you absolutely don?t want them.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2023, 02:07 PM
There is always a reason to get annoyed with a coach that is going 6-6/7-5. Culture/Lack of recruiting/Job hunting/close losses.

People forget that he went 2-6 in the SEC in 2011, then went 4-4 in the SEC after starting out 4-0 in 2012 a brutal loss to a bad bear team, and heading into the 2013 egg bowl, we were staring at a 2-6 SEC record with a loss, and people were ready to fire him before that game. I'm not sure if ED goes back that far, but i was here and it was being discussed by a bunch of people. Dak becomes the starting QB and the next two years happen and things are great. Then 2016 season happens, which sucked, except for Thanksgiving.

Bottom line is that our program is too good to think we will be a happy fan base if you throw up consistent 6-6/7-5 seasons. We will come up with a subjective reason we are tired of you, when the real reason is that you aren't winning consistently enough.

I just don't think that's correct. There was some limited heat going into 2013 - I think mainly generated by the way 2012 flatlined at the end and Dan was job hunting.
Russell got hurt in game 1. Dak starts week 2, wins, almost beats Auburn, wins week 4, then is terrible against LSU. Russell comes back against LSU and we had our first legit QB controversy. There was frustration because most people saw that Dak had taken over, but between Russell being our Career Leader in Passing Yards and TD AND everyone getting injured people saw that we weren't winning games we had chances in. There was some criticism because guys like Dak, Josh Robinson, and Bear Wilson seemed to be heirs apparent but weren't seeing the field the amount some wanted. I don't recall the Egg as being a make or break game for Mullen - especially since we went into the game with QB3 leading the team (and having just rescued the Arkansas game). In fact, the way we gutted out 2013 led many to believe that 2014 was going to be a good if not great season.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 02:08 PM
Uh, the claim was that you would have a statue built.

The OP said do 9-10 wins and you get a statue. He's right. Heck, Dan would have one averaging 7/8 wins a year if he stayed here his career.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 02:10 PM
That is because he had two 9-win seasons and a 10-win season. So on average - 9 seasons, 3 9+ win seasons, so on average every 3 years you are getting to 9 wins in one of those seasons. So yes, if you give us 6-6, 7-5, and then 9-3, you are extremely safe.

He also had two 5-7.
He averaged 7.1-4.9. Could have stayed forever.

HancockCountyDog
11-13-2023, 02:17 PM
He also had two 5-7.
He averaged 7.1-4.9. Could have stayed forever.

If you have a 5-7 season and look like we did in 2009, not a problem, in fact I've never felt better leaving our stadium than I did in 2009. I think we all felt that way. If you go 5-7 and look like we do this year, you will get fired.

Bubb Rubb
11-13-2023, 02:19 PM

This is correct. We have too many po-ole-states who think Mullen did the unthinkable here. If you win your 4 non conference games and go 2-6 in conference, you're playing in a bowl game. Our recruiting classes are steadily in the 25 range over multiple coaching staffs. It's not difficult to win here. You just have to be competent.

Jarius
11-13-2023, 02:30 PM

The Mississippi State football job is one of the best jobs in the country. Deep pockets that accept average results. 7-5 gets you a job for life and you start off with 4 auto wins a year. You have to be very incompetent to fail in this era of football at Mississippi State.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 02:35 PM
If you have a 5-7 season and look like we did in 2009, not a problem, in fact I've never felt better leaving our stadium than I did in 2009. I think we all felt that way. If you go 5-7 and look like we do this year, you will get fired.

Mullen did it in 2016 and didn't get fired.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 02:38 PM
The Mississippi State football job is one of the best jobs in the country. Deep pockets that accept average results. 7-5 gets you a job for life and you start off with 4 auto wins a year. You have to be very incompetent to fail in this era of football at Mississippi State.

I agree except for the 4 auto wins.
We beat a good 7-3 Arizona this year.
And a very good 9-3 NC state team in 2021 whose other two losses were by a combined 4 points.

EdwardDrayton
11-13-2023, 06:37 PM
This is the correct take. It's not the popular opinion so you'll get blasted but good for you for actually using your brain. That's rare these days.
Mullen was close to having a statue. A few more 8-4 seasons and he would have.

He was close to a statue all right. But it would not have been a very flattering statue.

Coach34
11-13-2023, 06:49 PM
We are entering a new ERA of SEC now.

Our conference schedule is going to be even more ridiculous from now on

EdwardDrayton
11-13-2023, 06:51 PM

But with the 12 team CFP and we actually win a few .......

Coach34
11-13-2023, 06:58 PM
But with the 12 team CFP and we actually win a few .......

a 12 team playoff we will never see. We have finished in the Top 12 once in the last 82 years. Adding OU and Texas just makes the top spots harder to reach

Coursesuper
11-13-2023, 07:03 PM

That is the damn truth. It is going to be brutal.

99jc
11-13-2023, 07:04 PM
State fans use the eye test, but are realistic for the most part. In other words, we knew Mullen was getting most of what he could out of our program in terms of wins. Our eyes told us. Common sense told us.

JoMo and Arnett were never improving. None. Not getting anywhere near what they could out of the talent on hand. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see it. When State fans see improvement and effort, we are patient and understanding as a whole. But when you arent improving and aren't showing max effort as a team or staff...we see it, and we hate it.

We are the common sense fan base. It's why winners like Mullen and Sherrill stayed for a long time, and why losers like JoMo and Arnett didn't even get their crap unpacked. We know football and can see what we've got early on. If your girlfriend has multiple traits you know you could never live with, you don't keep dating her....you move on until you find wife material.

This post is exactly how i feel. good post!

EdwardDrayton
11-13-2023, 07:09 PM
a 12 team playoff we will never see. We have finished in the Top 12 once in the last 82 years. Adding OU and Texas just makes the top spots harder to reach

Once is all it takes Coach. Live the dream.

Lord McBuckethead
11-14-2023, 02:36 AM
Beating Alabama, Georgia, and LSU is damn hard to do. That is why the rest of the country only does it once in a blue moon. Those three are what? 10-15 against the entire country in the last 15 years. Clemson has two and FSU has one. OSU May have one too, and they had to have Urban to do it.

What we look for is consistency for 3 out of 4 years with one of those years being a special type of team that competes with the best. That isn?t that damn hard.

smootness
11-14-2023, 05:37 AM
Beating Alabama, Georgia, and LSU is damn hard to do. That is why the rest of the country only does it once in a blue moon. Those three are what? 10-15 against the entire country in the last 15 years. Clemson has two and FSU has one. OSU May have one too, and they had to have Urban to do it.

What we look for is consistency for 3 out of 4 years with one of those years being a special type of team that competes with the best. That isn?t that damn hard.

Yes, fielding a team at Mississippi State who can truly compete with the best, which would mean having a decent shot at the playoff, every 4 years is damn hard.

Cooterpoot
11-14-2023, 08:51 AM
It shouldn't be hard to win 7 games a year. We could do that this year without the terrible decisions by Arnett and injuries.
But we're about to be in a big ass rebuild the next couple years. The recruiting of the last regime was baaaaad!
I've got faith in Selmon. This is why hiring an AD outside the MSU family should pay off. He doesn't care about blue collar, MSU fit. He's going after the best he can get based on a new standard. Hope we invest and get it done right.

CaptainObvious
11-14-2023, 09:06 AM
We need a dynamic football coach who can recruit Olinemen from the Midwest who are big, strong, quick and smart. I?m tired of fat, weak, slow, and dumb! We need a Rhodes Scholar QB with a rocket arm and bionic legs. We need defensive backs with 9 foot wingspans and 4.4 speed running backwards. I want a coach who can bring those guys to Mississippi State.

WHO IS HE?

Homedawg
11-14-2023, 09:18 AM
We need a dynamic football coach who can recruit Olinemen from the Midwest who are big, strong, quick and smart. I?m tired of fat, weak, slow, and dumb! We need a Rhodes Scholar QB with a rocket arm and bionic legs. We need defensive backs with 9 foot wingspans and 4.4 speed running backwards. I want a coach who can bring those guys to Mississippi State.

WHO IS HE?

Santa Claus?????

Coursesuper
11-14-2023, 09:39 AM
Santa Claus?????

Dig up Knute Rockne

HancockCountyDog
11-14-2023, 09:44 AM

WHO IS HE?

https://youtu.be/2edPJ19_tYg?si=Qot2RJkkwdlFVrWi

dawgday166
11-14-2023, 09:57 AM
Naw ... We just need a coach who can take his'n and beat your'n and your'n and beat his'n which is ... Bear Bryant. He'd probably win the SECW with this year's team.