PDA

View Full Version : At what moment did you finally give up on this staff?

starkvegasdawg
11-12-2023, 10:38 PM
I remember before the season started a lot of us had some hope at a good season and didn't understand why our over/under was so low. When this season did you finally say you were done? For me, it was Western Michigan. While I was plenty disturbed by what I was seeing, I was still willing to give this staff the benefit of the doubt they could get this turned around until that game. But when some piss ant directional school from Michigan came down here with their third string QB and did what they did I had had enough. I knew then there was no stopping this train wreck from going off the bridge.

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 10:42 PM
I really, really wanted them to succeed, but the Kentucky game is when I went "all in" on making the change this year.

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 10:42 PM
Three days after Leach passed away and they obviously were hiring good old boys.

TrapGame
11-12-2023, 10:43 PM
LSU I realized this staff was in over their heads. WMU I realized not only over their heads but completely inept and clueless at that. We made a mediocre third string MAC QB look like he should be starting in the SEC.

parabrave
11-12-2023, 11:00 PM
LSU I realized this staff was in over their heads. WMU I realized not only over their heads but completely inept and clueless at that. We made a mediocre third string MAC QB look like he should be starting in the SEC.

Bama/ The defense was getting better but the O couldn't get out of their own way. The players had that blind look in their eyes and you could tell they were not coached very well..

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2023, 11:04 PM
LSU game. I was geared up for it. Super pumped to see us get better from week to week. It was clear very early on in that game that we were not any better and was not going to get any better.

I left at the beginning of the second quarter.

LC Dawg
11-12-2023, 11:14 PM
I don't like to give up and held out as long as I could. At the WM game I started really noticing Arnett's lack of involvement on the sideline. I started the KY game watching him on every play and totally gave up sometime in the 2nd quarter.
I still stuck around until the 4th quarter because I just hate the idea of not supporting our team but they make it so difficult to do.

DownwardDawg
11-12-2023, 11:19 PM
After the Arizona game, I knew. I didn't want to believe it, but it was like a cancer within. It was "ok" on the outside but internally there was something bad wrong. After the LSU game I knew it was really bad.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 11:20 PM
Three days after Leach passed away and they obviously were hiring good old boys.

We hadnt even hired a single person by then. So you re just full of shit.

DownwardDawg
11-12-2023, 11:22 PM
After the Arizona game, I knew. I didn't want to believe it, but it was like a cancer within. It was "ok" on the outside but internally there was something bad wrong. After the LSU game I knew it was really bad.

But yeah. Western Michigan I think was my tipping point.

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 11:23 PM

You knew who they were hiring before the coaches did? I don't think so

Goldendawg
11-13-2023, 12:00 AM
I remember before the season started a lot of us had some hope at a good season and didn't understand why our over/under was so low. When this season did you finally say you were done? For me, it was Western Michigan. While I was plenty disturbed by what I was seeing, I was still willing to give this staff the benefit of the doubt they could get this turned around until that game. But when some piss ant directional school from Michigan came down here with their third string QB and did what they did I had had enough. I knew then there was no stopping this train wreck from going off the bridge.

I knew we were in trouble after the first game. Told my MSU grad school son that it reminded me of the win the Tech and Ten year when I told my late Dad we would not win another game. Feel sorry for the players. A lot of them are 5th and even 6th year covid players who have won a lot of games. They are bound to know that they are playing for an in over their heads, incompetent "staff". Terrible year. No hope and pure apathy here in NE MS.

dawgday166
11-13-2023, 12:16 AM
Seeing all the changes being made in the off season, the coaching hires, etc. left me thinking there'd be a much bigger dropoff than there should be.

The LSU game verified that for me. I still kept wanting to give them a chance to turn it around tho until the Arky game. Then I knew they had no clue and it was at least as bad as JoMo, if not worse. That's when I made my mind up they had to go.

Goldendawg
11-13-2023, 12:26 AM
Seeing all the changes being made in the off season, the coaching hires, etc. left me thinking there'd be a much bigger dropoff than there should be.

The LSU game verified that for me. I still kept wanting to give them a chance to turn it around tho until the Arky game. Then I knew they had no clue and it was at least as bad as JoMo, if not worse. That's when I made my mind up they had to go.

It's Croom/Woody bad except we haven't had a gunfight on campus yet involving some starting players like we did under "Saint" Sly.

Todd4State
11-13-2023, 12:43 AM
We hadnt even hired a single person by then. So you re just full of shit.

Excuse me. Whatever day we started to hire the good old boys. I didn't exactly celebrate the day we hired Will Friend on my calendar.

It became very apparent very early on to me that we weren't going to do a search and weren't even going to try. Our track record of hiring coordinators isn't that great outside of Dan- and I knew as well as you that in a normal search there was no way we would have ever even considered Arnett. The "hold the recruiting class together" was an excuse I never bought. And when I hear things like that coming from MSU I know how it usually turns out. And I was obviously right.

StarkVegasSteve
11-13-2023, 01:42 AM
Halftime of the Zona game. I think we had 4 TOs and were only up 14-7. The offense was stagnant and you could see we were already trying to bleed the clock.

KB21
11-13-2023, 02:50 AM
When he fired Mike’s offensive staff.

TStationDawg
11-13-2023, 08:13 AM
HALFTIME against SELA.

KOdawg1
11-13-2023, 08:32 AM
Arizona game. We were driving on them and had momentum early. We had already scored and were about to quickly score again. Arnett said post game that he told Barbay to run it and slow down so the defense could rest. We stalled out and gave them momentum.

That's when I knew.

Hot Rock
11-13-2023, 08:44 AM
Earlier than I probably should have to my standards but I have not watched a game in weeks. I went into the season recording them just in case I missed a moment. I am at the stage I don't record or watch the game and just check out the score and stats. I am not sure if I had a defining moment like I did with Croom and Moorhead but you could see it playing out in front of your eyes.

DEDawg
11-13-2023, 08:49 AM
When it was announced. Flame me all you want but I never gave this crap a chance because it was so clearly a horrible hire.

Matt3467
11-13-2023, 08:54 AM
I knew something was odd during the AZ game. Them spotting us 5 turnovers and still taking us to OT was a wake up call. It seemed we were determined to not pass the ball although we were doing it effectively when we did it 13/17 162yds. Idk how we squeaked out that win but no way I'd want a rematch.

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2023, 02:39 PM
When Arnett treated Brandon Langlois like shit for handing him the wrong info sheet during a post game presser. He just went out and shit the bed on national TV but he gives Langlois the death stare for 10 seconds in the middle of the press room because he messed up a paper...? GTFOH with that baby-back bitch stuff.

Randolph Dupree
11-13-2023, 03:31 PM
When LSU had a 4th and 7 early in the first quarter and went for the end zone and got it. As an opposing coach you don't make that call unless you know something, and it was apparent that we were never going to be competitive. Complete lack of respect.

Coursesuper
11-13-2023, 03:48 PM
After giving up back to back 99 yard drives to LSU without us gaining a first down.

Santiago
11-13-2023, 03:58 PM
After the new hires started getting made , such as 2 OL coaches before an OC. And that he said he was not changing much, then a few weeks later, it was clear there were changes happening to wipe away all things Mike Leach in the Bryan building. The leadership lost me with all the spin, and comments not matching actions. They really thought we were sheep that would follow the scripted comments.

Really Clark?
11-13-2023, 04:05 PM
After the new hires started getting made , such as 2 OL coaches before an OC. And that he said he was not changing much, then a few weeks later, it was clear there were changes happening to wipe away all things Mike Leach in the Bryan building. The leadership lost me with all the spin, and comments not matching actions. They really thought we were sheep that would follow the scripted comments.

Barbay was on the job for a week before Schmidt was hired.

redstickdawg
11-13-2023, 04:08 PM
My first real alarms went off against SELA, when they drove the ball down our throats running the same play , left sweep and we made no adjustments allowing them to score. After LSU, it was time for a change.

R2Dawg
11-13-2023, 04:35 PM
SELA was concerning right off the bat but I'm willing to give every HC a chance. Every game kept supporting my initial thoughts. I'm an MSU fan and eternal optimist who made ways every week we can turn it around. I did this with Leach and Moorhead too. The process was different for Moorhead and Leach due to their past. I knew Moorhead was in trouble after the UK and UF games. Leach I gave till towards end of year 2 even though there were serious concerns all along the way Ark and UK that first year set me back.

With CZA, the final straw was WMU though where it was obvious I couldn't come up with any new things we might do to fix it.

R2Dawg
11-13-2023, 04:36 PM
When Arnett treated Brandon Langlois like shit for handing him the wrong info sheet during a post game presser. He just went out and shit the bed on national TV but he gives Langlois the death stare for 10 seconds in the middle of the press room because he messed up a paper...? GTFOH with that baby-back bitch stuff.

Which game was that?

Bothrops
11-13-2023, 04:39 PM
Kentucky was the final straw for me.

memsu06
11-13-2023, 04:42 PM
I want to know what truly happened behind the scenes.

I'm used to Zach being on fire on the sidelines, but not this year. Like he couldn't do what he really wanted to do.

BulldogBear
11-13-2023, 05:32 PM
Arizona game. We were driving on them and had momentum early. We had already scored and were about to quickly score again. Arnett said post game that he told Barbay to run it and slow down so the defense could rest. We stalled out and gave them momentum.

That's when I knew.

I knew when this happened but didn't want to believe it. Reminded me of Croom thinking the defense needed to score more. Not the same situation, but same level of not having a clue about a head coach's big picture.

After LSU, I still hadn't completely given up because LSU often seems to have games against us where they can do no wrong. After going to the USCe game it began to sink in, and finally acceptance after WMU that this wasn't going to work no matter how much time he got.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 05:55 PM
When he was interviewed on SEC gameday (morning of the game) and clearly didn't know what to talk about or even how to stand (just completely nervous) I knew he was in way over his head. Seems like a nice guy but SEC head coach is not his thing.

//So instead we talked about how he brought chicken eggs from his farm to Paul and the gang.

Santiago
11-13-2023, 06:00 PM
Barbay was on the job for a week before Schmidt was hired.

then let me re-phrase. Hiring 1 OL, before the OC. Saying nothing much would change.
The HC made public comments, and then did the opposite.
edit: To me , Arnett hiring offensive OL, before the OC seemed like others were in his ear already. It wasn't like Arnett was an offensive minded coach who had a blueprint for the offense. That started losing me that this was going off the rails quickly.