PDA

View Full Version : Great news! Baseball

MsStateBaseball
12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Gene interviewed Butch and their is no more soreness. He is good to go. I would hope they would take it slow. But this is huge. He should pitch one inning here and there until it warms up then do more. Bring him to start an inning. If everyone stays healthy, we wil have a great year.

Bob Sacamano
12-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Butch Thompson? I'm confused.

RTO Dawg
12-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Gene interviewed Butch and their is no more soreness. He is good to go. I would hope they would take it slow. But this is huge. He should pitch one inning here and there until it warms up then do more. Bring him to start an inning. If everyone stays healthy, we wil have a great year.

Who?

MsStateBaseball
12-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Oops too early. RHP Paul Young is ok. No elbow surgery. He is 6-2 190 out of Fl. A JC transfer who was drafted by Indians in the 21st round. His elbow has been sore all fall. A game changer. Huge plus.

Jacksondevildog
12-05-2013, 07:47 AM
That is absolutely huge news.

Will James
12-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Perfect opportunity for the 2 IP starting pitcher I want.

Bob Sacamano
12-05-2013, 08:48 AM
That is great news. Adds to the stable.

State82
12-05-2013, 09:07 AM
That is phenomenal news! Man, what a week for all us Dogs! Thanks for the great update.

messageboardsuperhero
12-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Good deal, maybe the wait-and-see approach actually worked.

I'd like to see him used like Todd was thinking of using Hudson- bring him in for two inning stints and tell him to just mow people down. Now whether that means we bring him in to start a game or in the middle of a game is up for debate.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Perfect opportunity for the 2 IP starting pitcher I want.

Yep in December for a guy that we thought we would have to shut down its great news. Try to get out of negative town.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Hell yes. Young could very well be a key piece to another deep run for the baseball bullies.

Todd4State
12-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Very nice! We'll be careful with him since our staff and our bullpen are pretty deep. I'd limit him to about 50 pitches at the start of the year and then build him up to 100 by the end.

Will James
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Yep in December for a guy that we thought we would have to shut down its great news. Try to get out of negative town.

I don't think you understand my post.

bully99
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Why is everytime somebody doesn't tow the MSU line, it's being negative. I've stated here I think Cohen could do better in recruiting and I get blasted.
I'm also worried that we are losing great starting pitchers because Cohen only allows his pitchers to go 2 or3 innings. I think programs are using this against State in recruiting. Starting pitchers want to pitch deep into games and Cohen doesn't allow that for the most part. My opinion and I'm sticking with it.

messageboardsuperhero
12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Why is everytime somebody doesn't tow the MSU line, it's being negative. I've stated here I think Cohen could do better in recruiting and I get blasted.

Good Lord, not this again... Our recruiting is fine. I don't know what else to say.

I'm also worried that we are losing great starting pitchers because Cohen only allows his pitchers to go 2 or3 innings. I think programs are using this against State in recruiting. Starting pitchers want to pitch deep into games and Cohen doesn't allow that for the most part. My opinion and I'm sticking with it.

That's just bullshit. How many innings did Stratton pitch his junior year? Kendall Graveman pitched three (3!!) CGs in a row last year. Just because we used a different approach down the stretch last season, doesn't mean Cohen is scared to ride a starter if he's dominant. So who would you rather have pitching more innings- Chad Girodo (circa 2013 postseason) or Trevor Fitts? That's not to say Fitts is a bad pitcher, Cohen was just going with the hot hands.

Cohen and Thompson will use the traditional, Stratton approach when they get a dominant starter (ie. what Woody will hopefully be), but if you were in the position we were last year and didn't have a horse, why not use a tactical match-up approach? Our best arms were in the bullpen- why would we not play to our strength?

maroonmania
12-05-2013, 04:37 PM

That's crazy talk. We didn't allow our starters to go very long last year because, other than Graveman, NONE of them were reliable. Its not like we pulled starters after 3 innings while they had no-hitters going or something.

engie
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM

No one has a problem going against party lines here. It's when the statements themselves are totally ridiculous. And these two statements are so far beyond asinine, I don't even know where to begin.

Yeah -- they are using that against us in recruiting. We've got MAJOR problems riding starting pitching**
2013 SEC total IP: Graveman 4th
2012 SEC total IP: Stratton 3rd

Glad he doesn't let pitchers stay in games though** I'm sure that works against us more than having the national #2 and national #17 pitching staffs** Or taking an undrafted highschooler and putting him in the first round**

Let's watch how many innings Woodruff gets this year. I'm sure it will just be one or two per game**

RTO Dawg
12-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Very nice! We'll be careful with him since our staff and our bullpen are pretty deep. I'd limit him to about 50 pitches at the start of the year and then build him up to 100 by the end.

Bingo

Todd4State
12-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Really Fitts is the only guy that they've done that with so far. Bracewell is more of a relief pitcher to me. No one is going to complain about Cohen's recruiting as long as we're getting rated 2nd in the country in recruiting, top 20 consenus across the board, and going to Omaha. We have three potential starting pitchers that were drafted out of high school- Woodruff, Lindgren, and Hudson. We have others that were drafted by MLB such as Humphries, Demarcus, etc. out of high school as well. And that doesn't include guys that told MLB not to draft them such as Garner, Fitts, etc. so that they could come to MSU.

The only way Cohen can improve would be to have a number one rated class.

We're going to let our pitchers that can go deep into games go deep into games. We are also not going to let a guy struggle and give up a ton of runs before lifting him. We are going to put people in a situation that gives them and us the best chance to succeed even if that is not in a conventional way. Most coaches would have made Girodo start- even though he was more dominant and comfortable coming out of the bullpen. Stratton, Graveman etc. were more comfortable starting a game conventionally. We let them do it that way.

What Will wants to happen is not going to happen in every instance. And IMO that's good.

We'll piggyback starters to start the year- because there's no point in burning Woodruff out against Holy Cross and because we need to see who can do what and who can help us out throughout the year.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't think you understand my post.

Must not have...please clarify

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Doesnt have a damn thing to do with towing any kind of line. I made a specific comment about a specific post and I may have misinterpreted what I was reading. And the opinion you are sticking to is, dare I say, stupid. I don't get how anyone could say our recruiting isn't going very, very well and I have no clue if you are even paying attention to our pitching. Engie covered it superbly.

TheRef
12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
So Cohen is having some sort of Press Conference and he's saying that they have 8 kids running the 60 under 6.6. Also said it's the fastest club he's coached so far. Detz told Cohen that Reid Humphreys could be the best player in MSU history at this pace. Lindgren most likely will start season in the Pen.

bully99
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Cohen said in the news conference today he had to get down to 35 players and he knew pretty much who he was gonna cut .Anybody have any idea who's gonna be cut.
Haters gonna hate.

Will James
12-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Must not have...please clarify

I want a system like we had in the playoffs. I think Young would make a good 2 IP starter. Manage your arms where you get the most out of them. Now granted Woody will most likely be a traditional starter, and that's okay. But I don't think we have 3 traditional starters that will benefit us by using them in the traditional manner. I like Lindgren and Hudson in the pen being able to throw 5-6 of the most critical innings rather than a start. If we start a top arm and immediately go up 6-0 after two, how effectively are we utilizing our weapons? Let a Fitts, Bracewell, Young start the game off and go through the order once. Bring in the best for the next and most crucial times through. Maximize your talent.

People often relate sabermetrics with taking the game management out (bunting, stealing, hit and runs) but in reality it takes managing to a whole new level.