PDA

View Full Version : Let's dwindle down. Most likely Head Coach we go after will be a.....

CadaverDawg
11-12-2023, 01:41 PM
A. Sitting P5 Head Coach

B. Sitting G5 Head Coach

C. P5 OC

D. P5 DC

E. Someone not currently coaching (Mullen, for example)

Once we reach a consensus, we'll poll coaches that fit that criteria

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 01:46 PM
Sitting G5 (with P5 experience), either Tom Herman or Clay Helton

parabrave
11-12-2023, 02:01 PM
I think someone was approached last year and couldn't accept at that time. Keenum hired Arnett with the understanding he was an interm coach and would be paid well. Why else would he be hired so fast/

CadaverDawg
11-12-2023, 08:34 PM
G5 head coach leads the way so far

Coach34
11-12-2023, 08:40 PM
I do know that we want to avoid hiring a coordinator/1st time HC if at all possible. Lebby wants the job but that could eliminate him

Westdawg
11-12-2023, 09:51 PM
If we could land Lebby and NOT attempt to do so, it would be the most MSU thing ever.
Love his offense - as much as I dislike OM - that is an offense that generates points and that puts butts in seats.

Coach34
11-12-2023, 10:02 PM
If we could land Lebby and NOT attempt to do so, it would be the most MSU thing ever.
Love his offense - as much as I dislike OM - that is an offense that generates points and that puts butts in seats.

Word is we want someone with HC experience if at all possible

OhGee
11-12-2023, 10:02 PM
Old school boosters hate Mullen because he’s arrogant. They need to build a bridge and get over it.

Joe Moorhead isn’t arrogant. Arentt isn’t arrogant.

Kumbaya 17ers. Let’s win.

TheLostDawg
11-12-2023, 10:05 PM
Old school boosters hate Mullen because he’s arrogant. They need to build a bridge and get over it.

Joe Moorhead isn’t arrogant. Arentt isn’t arrogant.

Kumbaya 17ers. Let’s win.

Not old school booster but Mullen left on the best season at could have had, couldn't pull it off at Florida with all their resources, didn't recruit at Florida either. We don't want him. Would be Polk all over again. The reason we study history is to not repeat bad decisions. Let's not hide Mullen.

OhGee
11-12-2023, 10:12 PM
Not old school booster but Mullen left on the best season at could have had, couldn't pull it off at Florida with all their resources, didn't recruit at Florida either. We don't want him. Would be Polk all over again. The reason we study history is to not repeat bad decisions. Let's not hide Mullen.

Polk was doing poorly when he left the first time.

Mullen was the best coach we ever had. His recruiting was frustrating. He’s not perfect. You want perfect, I’m all in if you know who is perfect. I just know Mullen won here and would do it again.

Coach34
11-12-2023, 10:16 PM

Mullen was the best coach we ever had. His recruiting was frustrating. He’s not perfect. You want perfect, I’m all in if you know who is perfect. I just know Mullen won here and would do it again.

Mullen doesnt want our job. He spent 7 of his 9 years trying to move on from it

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 10:40 PM

Polk took us to Omaha in 1997 which was first last season. And a regional in 1991.

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 10:41 PM

I like Lebby and his offense. But I do worry a little bit about his inexperience. Would be open if he is the one we hire.

CadaverDawg
11-12-2023, 10:49 PM
We could probably do a lot worse than Lebby. Impossible to know if he would be a home run or not.

Typical MSU would be to put Lebby on the back burner and have him lose interest or go elsewhere, and us end up doing a long search that lands us some clown that we all have to google to find out who the F he is.

Lebby's offense alone would energize the fan base

Westdawg
11-13-2023, 12:26 AM
Here?s what I can see happening -
Kiffin does the dance at end of season and finds another school. MSU plays around looking for something, ANYTHING, with prior HC experience that ends up being a Torbush-type retread. Meanwhile, Lebby gets in there at OM with all that talent, finds a great DC, and really hits the afterburners on that program, while we jerk ourselves back to 2000s suckage level.

Tater
11-13-2023, 12:27 AM
We could probably do a lot worse than Lebby. Impossible to know if he would be a home run or not.

Typical MSU would be to put Lebby on the back burner and have him lose interest or go elsewhere, and us end up doing a long search that lands us some clown that we all have to google to find out who the F he is.

Lebby would ensure a lot of State alumni daughters will be heading elsewhere. So that guy that bitches about how we always show fat dudes on TV will know that will only get worse.

If you can look yourself in the mirror and say you're ok with winning a national championship if it means enabling a culture of rape enablement, then you're not someone that I want to align with. And Lebby doesn't even come with that guarantee mind you. Football is important but there's a lot that's a lot more important. Society seems to be missing that lately.

Todd4State
11-13-2023, 12:36 AM

Absolutely agree. There is risk with anybody we hire. On the surface I would be all in with it.

Lebby would ensure a lot of State alumni daughters will be heading elsewhere. So that guy that bitches about how we always show fat dudes on TV will know that will only get worse.

If you can look yourself in the mirror and say you're ok with winning a national championship if it means enabling a culture of rape enablement, then you're not someone that I want to align with. And Lebby doesn't even come with that guarantee mind you. Football is important but there's a lot that's a lot more important. Society seems to be missing that lately.

It's hard to find a coach without any skeletons in the closet. Caldwell has gotten a team on probation. Freeze had known skeletons at Ole Miss and Kiffin has a long track record of acting out of line. Leach made a joke one time on Twitter that got taken completely out of context.

Let's be real here- sure Lebby supported Briles because he was his father in law. I've seen family members support their family members who murdered people on the news every night. They aren't supporting the fact that they killed someone. They're supporting their family member because they're family. I'm not sure that we should not hire someone because they essentially supported their family member who did something wrong.

Tater
11-13-2023, 01:26 AM
Absolutely agree. There is risk with anybody we hire. On the surface I would be all in with it.

It's hard to find a coach without any skeletons in the closet. Caldwell has gotten a team on probation. Freeze had known skeletons at Ole Miss and Kiffin has a long track record of acting out of line. Leach made a joke one time on Twitter that got taken completely out of context.

Let's be real here- sure Lebby supported Briles because he was his father in law. I've seen family members support their family members who murdered people on the news every night. They aren't supporting the fact that they killed someone. They're supporting their family member because they're family. I'm not sure that we should not hire someone because they essentially supported their family member who did something wrong.

Lebby was there too... It's not just Art that stinks. That whole group was rotten. Don't equate some of the other things to what was done at Baylor. Rape is a whole different ball game than what Kiffin has done. Please don't put it in the same breath as Leach's twitter. That's an awful slippery slope take. There are clear lines in the sand. Murder, Rape, and Treason are on a very short list of do not cross.

Todd4State
11-13-2023, 01:59 AM
Lebby was there too... It's not just Art that stinks. That whole group was rotten. Don't equate some of the other things to what was done at Baylor. Rape is a whole different ball game than what Kiffin has done. Please don't put it in the same breath as Leach's twitter. That's an awful slippery slope take. There are clear lines in the sand. Murder, Rape, and Treason are on a very short list of do not cross.

So you wouldn't be OK with Kendal Briles on staff either? Most of the other coaches on that staff have gone to other places with no issues that I am aware of- Auburn's OC for example.

Mjoelner34
11-13-2023, 07:59 AM

You mean putting him up in a hotel room in Starkville and telling him he is our #1 choice while at the same time secretly interviewing and hiring someone that nobody has even heard of before? #Jimbo/Croom

viverlibre
11-13-2023, 08:05 AM
Word is we want someone with HC experience if at all possible

This should be obvious.

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Coordinator success dont mean shit to me as far as HC'ing abilities. We have one of the best DC's we've had as a HC and our defense is shit.

KOdawg1
11-13-2023, 08:34 AM
I'd prefer a guy with HC experience if at all possible, but if I have to choose a coordinator, it better be an offensive guy with a hell of an offense. Lebby and Briles would fit this mold

dparker
11-13-2023, 09:38 AM
IMO the game has changed on what makes a successful head coach. Gone are the days of needing a good recruiter or developer of talent. In the NIL era, the skills needed are more like Calipari in basketball. Someone who can evaluate talent and then manage the ego's of paid players while melding them into a cohesive team for ONE year. Then rinse and repeat every year plugging holes and managing the roster. If a coach doesn't understand that then they won't be successful under the current system.

SPDawgs
11-13-2023, 09:53 AM
If I had to make a realistic list of who I want as coach
1. Lance Leipold (Kansas Coach)
2. Jeff Lebby
3. Chris Klieman (Kansas State coach 109-36 HC record)
4.Tom Herman

I met Leipold last year working the Liberty bowl and watching his offense against Arkansas was so exciting so he would be my go to pick also only makes 5 mil a year so nothing crazy. If you can win football in lawrence kansas you're a great coach

Opinions??

Tater
11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
So you wouldn't be OK with Kendal Briles on staff either? Most of the other coaches on that staff have gone to other places with no issues that I am aware of- Auburn's OC for example.

Exactly.

Casey Horny. Kendall Briles. Jeff Lebby. Phil Bennett. There's a few others that I can't think of that already fizzled out, but those are the big names I know to stay away from.

viverlibre
11-13-2023, 10:46 AM
2. Jeff Lebby
4.Tom Herman

I met Leipold last year working the Liberty bowl and watching his offense against Arkansas was so exciting so he would be my go to pick also only makes 5 mil a year so nothing crazy. If you can win football in lawrence kansas you're a great coach

Opinions??

Tom Luginville also pushing Leipold. He's also high on Jeff Traylor.

Matt3467
11-13-2023, 10:54 AM
Actually hearing that Moorhead has interest and has reached out. He's reportedly asking everybody's ring size.

rtdawg
11-13-2023, 12:17 PM

Mullen was the best coach we ever had. His recruiting was frustrating. He?s not perfect. You want perfect, I?m all in if you know who is perfect. I just know Mullen won here and would do it again.

Polk went to the CWS his last year in '97. He wasn't doing poorly.....

CadaverDawg
11-13-2023, 01:09 PM
2. Jeff Lebby
4.Tom Herman

Opinions??

I like your list, but Kleiman is above Lebby for me, and just a smidge below Leipold. I personally don't think we could get either of them, but Leipold or Kleiman would be grand slams