PDA

View Full Version : Scariest part about firing Arnett

CadaverDawg
11-12-2023, 09:46 AM
- First time AD making his first HC hire
- worst budget in SEC
- Will be replacing a coach he fired in his first season and will have to explain to every candidate how they can feel secure
- Worst NIL in the West

Bottom line, Selmon and MSU have GOT to be prepared to overpay for a HC for the first time ever. We don't have the ability to score some steal. No relationships, no leverage, no full cupboard....it will be all about the money, and we are MSU so we will need more than most programs to entice anyone of worth

Leroy Jenkins
11-12-2023, 09:50 AM
- Will be replacing a coach he fired in his first season and will have to explain to every candidate how they can feel secure

Everyone in the universe knows Arnett fell ass backwards into this job because of the timing CML's passing. This is not a factor.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-12-2023, 09:50 AM
- worst budget in SEC
- Worst NIL in the West

Bottom line, Selmon and MSU have GOT to be prepared to overpay for a HC for the first time ever. We don't have the ability to score some steal. No relationships, no leverage, no full cupboard....it will be all about the money, and we are MSU so we will need more than most programs to entice anyone of worth
I’ve been against it, but honestly now I’m ok with it cause I know what we get….pay Dan to come back….maybe we can also pay him to not bring the country club with him. He’s calling the Egg Bowl, don’t let him leave Starkville that night…

DEDawg
11-12-2023, 09:52 AM
You dont have to explain anything, the prior coach died and the president made a short sighted decision with no AD. Any prospective coach will be fine with that

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 09:57 AM
Any prospective coach who is scared to take the job because he thinks he might get fired because our standards are just too hard is not the guy we want anyway.

Joebob
11-12-2023, 10:11 AM
I’ve been against it, but honestly now I’m ok with it cause I know what we get….pay Dan to come back….maybe we can also pay him to not bring the country club with him. He’s calling the Egg Bowl, don’t let him leave Starkville that night…

If they brought back Mullen I would never give MSU another penny. Ever.

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 10:13 AM

That seems remarkably short-sighted.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Imagine what Mullen could do with Parson…

LC Dawg
11-12-2023, 10:29 AM
I say hire Mullen today and let him coach against Southern and Ole Miss. Half his old staff is currently on staff so it should be a pretty smooth transition.
If he doesn't seem to have the fire to coach again just let him go after the Egg Bowl.
Just kidding. But seriously.

BlackSailsDawg
11-12-2023, 10:33 AM
- worst budget in SEC
- Worst NIL in the West

Yeah, That doesn't concern me at all.

What concerns me is we will now have to compete with 3 or more SEC schools hiring in the SEC.

RezDog7
11-12-2023, 10:36 AM
- worst budget in SEC
- Worst NIL in the West

We're gonna end up with Lebby as the head coach.

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 10:38 AM
Yeah, That doesn't concern me at all.

What concerns me is we will now have to compete with 3 or more SEC schools hiring in the SEC.

We will not be fishing in the same pond as TAM, if we are then they have screwed their search

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 10:40 AM
We will not be fishing in the same pond as TAM, if we are then they have screwed their search
Not sure how people can't comprehend this. Not in the same stratosphere

civildawg
11-12-2023, 10:42 AM
Not sure how people can't comprehend this. Not in the same stratosphere

We are talking about the same fans that think bringing back Mullen or hiring Malzahn is what we should do so...

EdwardDrayton
11-12-2023, 10:44 AM
Fire Arnett. Now. Should have already happened. We let A&Mediocre beat us to the punch. Really?!!?? They were bowl eligible 6-4, beat us by 40 and they had to come up with $70 million!!!

Strike 1 Zac; we're waiting and the clock is ticking. We already gave you a free pass with Lemo.

Then pay whatever it costs to get our replacement of choice. All in or we go Sunbelt.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-12-2023, 10:53 AM
We are talking about the same fans that think bringing back Mullen or hiring Malzahn is what we should do so...
What is wrong with Mullen? Seriously. We know what we get with him. He knows the landscape. We could do much worse…we already have twice.

HancockCountyDog
11-12-2023, 10:54 AM
I think one thing people aren’t factoring in is the roster next year. It’s so bad it’s going to scare some coaches off. Kiffin didn’t go to Arkansas because of the mess Morris left.

We have to overpay to get this done.

Bothrops
11-12-2023, 12:04 PM
This program is finished. Hell A&M's program may be finished.

Mjoelner34
11-12-2023, 12:13 PM

No we won't but we could very well be fishing in the same pond as school where their replacement comes from.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-12-2023, 12:14 PM
- worst budget in SEC
- Worst NIL in the West

SEC West doesnt exist in two more weeks and our NIL is probably about top 30 in the NCAA

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 12:16 PM
No we won't but we could very well be fishing in the same pond as school where their replacement comes from.

Our line is already in that pond

Mjoelner34
11-12-2023, 12:22 PM
Our line is already in that pond

I just hope we remembered to bait it. LOL

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 12:25 PM
I just hope we remembered to bait it. LOL

Lol. I hope it's a Texas rigged 10" worn to catch a lunker

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Imagine what Mullen could do with Parson…

Imagine what GJ Kinne or Rhett Lashlee could do with Parson.

DownwardDawg
11-12-2023, 12:42 PM
Imagine what GJ Kinne or Rhett Lashlee could do with Parson.

Or Mullen........

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2023, 01:18 PM
SEC West doesnt exist in two more weeks and our NIL is probably about top 30 in the NCAA

This isn't the selling point you think it is. In fact, it's a reason to NOT take our job. Unless there's some sort of pod system in the works, we're going to be picked to finish 15th of 16 every year. About the best we can hope for in a 1-16 structure is to finish 4th or 5th. 1-3 will be Bama, UGA, OU in some order. LSU will be in that 3-4 spot most years. So could Texas. And that doesn't include when we inevitably expand to 20 with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and one of UVA/VT, because that is definitely happening at some point. Our best hope to be competitive is in some sort of division system, whether that was the traditional East-West format of some sort of pod system. But any 1-16, 18, 20 is the end of our chances to be relevant.

Tater
11-12-2023, 01:30 PM
This isn't the selling point you think it is. In fact, it's a reason to NOT take our job. Unless there's some sort of pod system in the works, we're going to be picked to finish 15th of 16 every year. About the best we can hope for in a 1-16 structure is to finish 4th or 5th. 1-3 will be Bama, UGA, OU in some order. LSU will be in that 3-4 spot most years. So could Texas. And that doesn't include when we inevitably expand to 20 with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and one of UVA/VT, because that is definitely happening at some point. Our best hope to be competitive is in some sort of division system, whether that was the traditional East-West format of some sort of pod system. But any 1-16, 18, 20 is the end of our chances to be relevant.

12 team playoff. Top 4-5 SEC making it every year. 10-2 makes it.

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2023, 03:38 PM
12 team playoff. Top 4-5 SEC making it every year. 10-2 makes it.

Lol, we barely win 2-4 SEC games now. Explain how we win 6 conference games in an expanded conference and when the schedule inevitably moves to 9, maybe even 10, conference games. And you're dreaming if you think nearly half the playoff field will be from the SEC. Between the media and the committee there's no way 5 teams from the same conference will be in the playoffs.

I repeat: moving away from divisions is the death of relevance for our football program. I know that's not the popular take, but that's the hard truth.

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 03:39 PM
I repeat: moving away from divisions is the death of relevance for our football program. I know that's not the popular take, but that's the hard truth.

That makes no sense. The West has been clearly better than the East for more than a decade. By abolishing divisions, our SOS will be a bit easier going forward.

Tater
11-12-2023, 03:44 PM
Lol, we barely win 2-4 SEC games now. Explain how we win 6 conference games in an expanded conference and when the schedule inevitably moves to 9, maybe even 10, conference games. And you're dreaming if you think nearly half the playoff field will be from the SEC. Between the media and the committee there's no way 5 teams from the same conference will be in the playoffs.

2014 we make the playoff. 1999 we make the playoff. 10-2 is relevancy. That is attainable at this job, we just need the right guy to come in here. It was attainable this year if Leach hadn't passed away.

Bothrops
11-12-2023, 03:47 PM
That makes no sense. The West has been clearly better than the East for more than a decade. By abolishing divisions, our SOS will be a bit easier going forward.

It'll be about the same. In the SEC there's top tier and middle tier and then there's Vandy. How many middle tier conference games can we win after adding Oklahoma and Texas to the mix. I'd say 1-4 per year depending on the schedule. Next year, I'd say one, maybe two wins out of the SEC.

starkvegasdawg
11-12-2023, 03:49 PM
If the stories circulating about the Seal slush fund earmarked specifically for a football head coach are true, then we could fish in whatever pond we wanted to. We just choose to fish in the grown over small ditch behind the house.

smootness
11-12-2023, 03:50 PM
Everyone in the universe knows Arnett fell ass backwards into this job because of the timing CML's passing. This is not a factor.

Also, there is no such thing as security as a coach. Want security? Win.

msudawg1200
11-12-2023, 03:57 PM
Also, there is no such thing as security as a coach. Want security? Win.
Exactly. Those millions of dollars you earn for winning or getting fired is security. I mean generational wealth should be good enough.

BoomBoom
11-12-2023, 04:04 PM
Imagine what Mullen could do with Parson?

Run a decade-old gimmicky offense, not recruit players around him, not play the better available players around him, and run off any competent DC?

Mjoelner34
11-12-2023, 04:44 PM
If the stories circulating about the Seal slush fund earmarked specifically for a football head coach are true, then we could fish in whatever pond we wanted to. We just choose to fish in the grown over small ditch behind the house.

I asked a question about that on here last week or a couple of weeks ago. From what I was told back in the day, I'm not sure that fund gets us access to any pond. If recall correctly, it was only for 2 things. 1: To pay the buy-out of the head football coach if we wanted to let him go. 2: To pay the head football coach as much as we wanted for him to stay if he was looking around elsewhere for $$$.

PMDawg
11-12-2023, 05:55 PM

Actually, it's just your opinion. Whether it ends up being right or wrong, it's still only your opinion.

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 05:56 PM
Or Mullen........

Running him up the middle and have him throw a bunch of curl routes isn't going to maximize his talent.

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 05:58 PM

I disagree. We now don't have to play Alabama and LSU every year. The odds of "missing" a team that is hot went up for us. And I think the SEC was equitable with how they set it up.

confucius say
11-12-2023, 06:20 PM

Correct. But there will be a domino effect from Aggie that will create vacancies that will affect our pond. So the sooner we lock up our guy the better

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Correct. But there will be a domino effect from Aggie that will create vacancies that will affect our pond. So the sooner we lock up our guy the better

We won't be able to lock up a guy unless it's someone that no one at our level wants anyway. The coaches we are going for are going to wait out the carousel to see the full amount of options. It's going to be a wait period unless we settle for a coach. I'd rather have 3-4 options ready to interview after the season that are better than the ones we could lock up right now.

The Federalist Engineer
11-12-2023, 08:25 PM
Fire Arnett. Now. Should have already happened. We let A&Mediocre beat us to the punch. Really?!!?? They were bowl eligible 6-4, beat us by 40 and they had to come up with $70 million!!!

Strike 1 Zac; we're waiting and the clock is ticking. We already gave you a free pass with Lemo.

Then pay whatever it costs to get our replacement of choice. All in or we go Sunbelt.

Heard they are paying $100M all-in costs.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 09:00 PM
This program is finished. Hell A&M's program may be finished.

Based on??? I mean this isn't the first coach we've had to can. And in 4 years odds are we will be doing it again

DownwardDawg
11-12-2023, 09:02 PM
Running him up the middle and have him throw a bunch of curl routes isn't going to maximize his talent.

You've forgotten really quickly how good Mullen was at developing QB's.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 09:03 PM
2014 we make the playoff. 1999 we make the playoff. 10-2 is relevancy. That is attainable at this job, we just need the right guy to come in here. It was attainable this year if Leach hadn't passed away.

In 1999 we finished ranked 13th w a bowl win. So no to that year being a playoff year. And yeah boy if leach were here we'd be in the hunt. That's laughable.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 09:07 PM
We won't be able to lock up a guy unless it's someone that no one at our level wants anyway. The coaches we are going for are going to wait out the carousel to see the full amount of options. It's going to be a wait period unless we settle for a coach. I'd rather have 3-4 options ready to interview after the season that are better than the ones we could lock up right now.

The people that think we are gonna have a coach Monday after the egg bowl gonna have their feelings hurt. Can't wait for that meltdown after todays absolute shit show about not firing him.

Coach34
11-12-2023, 09:43 PM

This is what our fans dont get or want to get. Nobody is taking our job before they know they cant get one of the better ones.

confucius say
11-12-2023, 09:59 PM
This is what our fans dont get or want to get. Nobody is taking our job before they know they cant get one of the better ones.

Certainly not now that all of the dominos are starting to tumble. Any chance we had at locking somebody up early went away when we sat on our hands the last three weeks.
Maybe wouldn't have mattered anyway. Probably not. But certainly too late now.

Coach34
11-12-2023, 10:04 PM
Certainly not now that all of the dominos are starting to tumble. Any chance we had at locking somebody up early went away when we sat on our hands the last three weeks.

What? Nobody was going to commit to us before the dominoes started falling. You dont take the drunk skank in the bar at 8:45 pm when you got 3 more hours to get a better choice.

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 10:05 PM

There was no probably not. It was a definite not. They see the coaching carousel every single year and how the dominos fall. We were not locking up anyone early that is not way down on the list.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2023, 10:06 PM
- worst budget in SEC
- Worst NIL in the West

A good portion of that is fiction

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 10:08 PM

You just don't get it do you. That's clear. Firing him now might change some things. Might. Maybe we play better. Doubt it. But one thing it doesn't change is the timeline of hiring a coach. Not one DAMN day. Get that through your head please

Quaoarsking
11-12-2023, 10:15 PM
You just don't get it do you. That's clear. Firing him now might change some things. Might. Maybe we play better. Doubt it. But one thing it doesn't change is the timeline of hiring a coach. Not one DAMN day. Get that through your head please

Who disagrees with that? Literally everyone knows that the new coach isn't being hired until the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Wanting to fire Arnett today rather than the after the Egg Bowl is 100% entirely about making the team better over the next 2 games. That's what the argument has always been.

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 10:25 PM
Who disagrees with that? Literally everyone knows that the new coach isn't being hired until the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Wanting to fire Arnett today rather than the after the Egg Bowl is 100% entirely about making the team better over the next 2 games. That's what the argument has always been.

"Who disagrees with that?" Several and the person he quoted.

BTW, I would be more shocked if we hire someone that Sunday since many would have just played their last regular season game the day before. It's usually the very last of November early Dec when a hire is made. Not the Sunday after.

CaptainObvious
11-12-2023, 10:27 PM
What? Nobody was going to commit to us before the dominoes started falling. You dont take the drunk skank in the bar at 8:45 pm when you got 3 more hours to get a better choice.

Bite your tongue!

Todd4State
11-12-2023, 10:27 PM
You've forgotten really quickly how good Mullen was at developing QB's.

And you've forgotten about how bad he was at recruiting so he never really maximized it. See 2015 with Dak.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 10:28 PM

Um the guy I responded to for one. And multiple other people. It's all over the place. People think not firing him is costing us a chance to get ahead. If you haven't seen it you haven't been paying attention.

parabrave
11-12-2023, 10:28 PM

You were never deployed in the Military I see. The old adage was go ugly early/

Coach34
11-12-2023, 10:30 PM

But not everyone agrees with you on this. Thats the divide

Coach34
11-12-2023, 10:30 PM
You were never deployed in the Military I see. The old adage was go ugly early/

No- I'm a snob. I always hold out until I have to make the jump

confucius say
11-12-2023, 10:49 PM

Whoa. When did I advocate for firing him now? If I said that, please point me to the post and I'll apologize. I specifically said I am much more worried about locking our guy up asap than I am about when we announce Arnett's firing. The "sitting on our hands" I referenced is the concern over Selmon's lack of getting our guy, not our lack of firing Arnett.

confucius say
11-12-2023, 10:55 PM
There was no probably not. It was a definite not. They see the coaching carousel every single year and how the dominos fall. We were not locking up anyone early that is not way down on the list.

It's impossible to know that. Likely, I agree. But you can't know that for certain. It is possible you could have gotten in on Doren, clawson, Kinne, Gus, etc last week. I don't mean a signed MoU.

oldjoedawg
11-12-2023, 11:05 PM
I?ve been against it, but honestly now I?m ok with it cause I know what we get?.pay Dan to come back?.maybe we can also pay him to not bring the country club with him. He?s calling the Egg Bowl, don?t let him leave Starkville that night?

It has been reported for some time that Mullen will not be calling the Egg Bowl this year.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2023, 11:08 PM
It's impossible to know that. Likely, I agree. But you can't know that for certain. It is possible you could have gotten in on Doren, clawson, Kinne, Gus, etc last week. I don't mean a signed MoU.

LOL

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 11:09 PM

Oh I know that for certain. The only thing we have right now is who is interested so far from agent direction. We don't have a concrete list of the ones we have reached out to other than we will get back to you or that they are possibly interested but want to concentrate on their season right now. We are trying to land some of the better coaches first but they won't talk much right now.

Homedawg
11-12-2023, 11:13 PM
Oh I know that for certain. The only thing we have right now is who is interested so far from agent direction. We don't have a concrete list of the ones we have reached out to other than we will get back to you or that they are possibly interested but want to concentrate on their season right now. We are trying to land some of the better coaches first but they won't talk much right now.

It's time to raise the white flag .... exhausting

Really Clark?
11-12-2023, 11:15 PM

You are right

Commercecomet24
11-12-2023, 11:15 PM

Yep 100%

confucius say
11-12-2023, 11:57 PM

I'm not talking about hiring formally this week. Y'all act like this doesn't happen every year. Just last year, auburn fired Harsin early and knew who they were hiring the day their season ended. It leaked the Sunday after the Saturday iron bowl.
Florida fired Mcelwain early and Mullen was hired one day after Florida's season ended.
KY fired Phillips early and Stoops was hired two days after KY season ended, and everybody knew it two days prior. Guess what, Aggie is about to do the same thing.

Again, when we fire ZA is not near as important as having our guy. We should have started on this way before now when we would have been the only sec job open. Just like we did with Jans. We had him done the morning after his season ended. Say what you want about Cohen (I certainly have), but he nailed that process just like he did with freeze.

Todd4State
11-13-2023, 12:47 AM
I'm not talking about hiring formally this week. Y'all act like this doesn't happen every year. Just last year, auburn fired Harsin early and knew who they were hiring the day their season ended. It leaked the Sunday after the Saturday iron bowl.
Florida fired Mcelwain early and Mullen was hired one day after Florida's season ended.
KY fired Phillips early and Stoops was hired two days after KY season ended, and everybody knew it two days prior. Guess what, Aggie is about to do the same thing.

Again, when we fire ZA is not near as important as having our guy. We should have started on this way before now when we would have been the only sec job open. Just like we did with Jans. We had him done the morning after his season ended. Say what you want about Cohen (I certainly have), but he nailed that process just like he did with freeze.

We know MSU doesn't operate that way.

Although it would be pretty funny if we fire Arnett on a Friday and then announce someone the following Monday.

Pancho
11-13-2023, 07:00 AM

I'm with you on Jans but if you feel that cohen had more to do with hiring the reverend freeze at auburn than the photo op, well.............

Pancho
11-13-2023, 07:01 AM

Although it would be pretty funny if we fire Arnett on a Friday and then announce someone the following Monday.

It would be impressive if Selmon is that focused.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 08:32 AM

I'd rather it be Saturday while the college football world is playing and watching, but Monday would be acceptable too. Hopefully Selmon handles things and that happens.

Hot Rock
11-13-2023, 08:48 AM

Not just no but Hell No! We are all in, don't you get it. We are doing all we can do with the smallest budget in the SEC. State can be competitive and has shown it with the right coach. Go Sunbelt? Are you crazy? What monies we do have would dry up.