PDA

View Full Version : Do the elitedawgs think..

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 12:13 PM
We have any chance whatsoever of these guys:

1. Lance Leipold
2. Chris Klieman
3. Matt Campbell
4. Mike Elko

If not, explain why

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Matt Campbell would be the best chance.

Leipold's contract, buyout and the fact he is set up to to take a big program makes him the least likely by far.

Klieman similar to Leipold but a lower buyout. He would be next unlikely.

Elko I think waits until he gets the job he wants, it maybe this year but he could wait for a larger program.

RiverCityDawg
11-09-2023, 12:29 PM

1. Lance Leipold
2. Chris Klieman
3. Matt Campbell
4. Mike Elko

If not, explain why

No. All are already making millions and have their programs in better shape than ours with an easier path to the Playoff. With no ties to this area or our school, there is no reason for them to disrupt their lives and the lives of their staff for a lateralish or maybe a slight upward move (or slight downward for Klieman, if we're being honest), to take over a rebuild at one of the hardest jobs in the SEC for maybe just slightly more money.

Very rarely do non-elite schools hire a sitting P5 HC. When it happens the guy is quirky, or returning "home", or is in hot water at his current gig. None of those guys fit the criteria. If they want to move they could wait for a top 15ish job, of which we are not. Even "bigger" programs most often have to hire a G5 HC or a P5 coordinator (Georgia, FSU, Texas, OK, Auburn, Tennessee, Oregon, etc).

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Leipold and Kleiman would be no brainers if there is return interest, which there may be a bit. Campbell is probably the best chance at picking one of those names off. Elko is biding his time for a much bigger job.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 12:37 PM
No. All are already making millions and have their programs in better shape than ours with an easier path to the Playoff. With no ties to this area or our school, there is no reason for them to disrupt their lives and the lives of their staff for a lateralish or maybe a slight upward move (or slight downward for Klieman, if we're being honest), to take over a rebuild at one of the hardest jobs in the SEC for maybe just slightly more money.

Very rarely do non-elite schools hire a sitting P5 HC. When it happens the guy is quirky, or returning "home", or is in hot water at his current gig. None of those guys fit the criteria. If they want to move they could wait for a top 15ish job, of which we are not. Even "bigger" programs most often have to hire a G5 HC or a P5 coordinator (Georgia, FSU, Texas, OK, Auburn, Tennessee, Oregon, etc).

Pretty good post here. I'm too lazy, what are each of these guys making? I know the other MSU is targeting at least 2 of these 4.

viverlibre
11-09-2023, 12:39 PM

1. Lance Leipold - With what it would take to buy him out and pay him $7mil/year, it's probably too big a pill to swallow
2. Chris Klieman - "
3. Matt Campbell - "
4. Mike Elko - No idea

If not, explain why

All of them would come, but would it be a price we are willing to pay?

Coursesuper
11-09-2023, 12:40 PM

1. Lance Leipold
2. Chris Klieman
3. Matt Campbell
4. Mike Elko

If not, explain why

I think the first one should asked the question, why would they leave their current position to come here? Then you get a viable list.

Saltydog
11-09-2023, 12:42 PM
Why in the world would we need any of those guys when we have Big Game Bob on standby.

sandjunky
11-09-2023, 12:45 PM
Would not not want Campbell
6-12 in last 18 against P5 teams

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 12:46 PM
Pretty good post here. I'm too lazy, what are each of these guys making? I know the other MSU is targeting at least 2 of these 4.

We would have to pay around $9 MIL to beat Leipold's remaining contract with a $12.5 MIL buyout. Klieman we would have to go to about $10 MIL to just match his remaining contract with a $6 MIL buyout.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 12:49 PM
Would not not want Campbell
6-12 in last 18 against P5 teams

Dude, he is the first coach since Earle Bruce in the mid 70's to even have a .500 record or better there. Their history and resources are worse than ours. He's done a very good job at ISU

civildawg
11-09-2023, 12:49 PM
Campbell is on the hot seat at ISU. Why would anyone want him?

Coach34
11-09-2023, 12:50 PM

1. Lance Leipold
2. Chris Klieman
3. Matt Campbell
4. Mike Elko

If not, explain why

1. Midwest guy most of his career. Certainly possible I think
2. Nope
3. Maybe. Just depends if he wants to make a move. He's not ever going to win big there and he knows it.
4. Yes

Funny that 3 of the 4 you named are defensive guys

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 12:55 PM
Campbell is on the hot seat at ISU. Why would anyone want him?

He is one of the targets for Michigan State.

Homedawg
11-09-2023, 01:04 PM
All of them would come, but would it be a price we are willing to pay?

no. no they wouldn't

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 01:05 PM
no. no they wouldn't

^^^This^^^

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 01:27 PM
Wish we had that 35 million that got pumped into the Hump.

Can't worry too much about buyouts or saving a million or 2. The cost of another bad hire would end up being more in the long run.

Got to get the football program right. Selmon has to go in with a great package but it has to be more than numbers. He needs to sell a vision for what we want to be.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:37 PM

You just listed 4 guys that have as much job security as any 4 coaches in the country. They are all good coaches at schools that will give them plenty of rope to struggle in the event of a down season or even two. SEC schools don't do that. Two maybe, one bad season is all it takes to get fired from an SEC school.

We are looking to fire someone after less than a year. Justified or not, that is going to give coaches like the four you listed reason to not jump. Klieman just signed a massive extension so that is silly. Leipold is one of the hottest names in the country, he signed a nice extension last year paying him close to 5 million per year and an 8 figure buyout. Campbell has turned down better jobs than ours recently, and he went 7-6 in 2021, 4-8 in 2022, and most likely going 6-6 this year. I think he is a good coach, but 17-20 in your last three years doesn't jump off the screen.

If you are Elko, I don't see why you leave for us. You have ties to A&M and Notre Dame. You could also just stay at Duke and have as much rope as you want to build a program. He would obviously be a home run hire for us, but I just don't see why he would do it.

viverlibre
11-09-2023, 01:40 PM
no. no they wouldn't

$10/$11 mil/year, they'd come. Erryone has a price.

Coach34
11-09-2023, 01:42 PM

We dont have that kind of money

HoopsDawg
You just listed 4 guys that have as much job security as any 4 coaches in the country. They are all good coaches at schools that will give them plenty of rope to struggle in the event of a down season or even two. SEC schools don't do that. Two maybe, one bad season is all it takes to get fired from an SEC school.

We are looking to fire someone after less than a year. Justified or not, that is going to give coaches like the four you listed reason to not jump. Klieman just signed a massive extension so that is silly. Leipold is one of the hottest names in the country, he signed a nice extension last year paying him close to 5 million per year and an 8 figure buyout. Campbell has turned down better jobs than ours recently, and he went 7-6 in 2021, 4-8 in 2022, and most likely going 6-6 this year. I think he is a good coach, but 17-20 in your last three years doesn't jump off the screen.

If you are Elko, I don't see why you leave for us. You have ties to A&M and Notre Dame. You could also just stay at Duke and have as much rope as you want to build a program. He would obviously be a home run hire for us, but I just don't see why he would do it.

Arnett was an interim coach hired by our school President. This next coach is going to get 4 years. Our fans love to make excuses and sell our program short.

HancockCountyDog

Paying Matt Campbell 11 million a year would be an interesting strategy. I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea. Then again, its not my money. So a 4 year 44 million contract fully guaranteed would probably get the job done. The only question i would have is how much rope does that buy him, because it would seem like a lot.

Coach34
11-09-2023, 01:43 PM

Thats what some of us need to realize- To those guys State would pretty much be a lateral move

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:46 PM
Arnett was an interim coach hired by our school President. This next coach is going to get 4 years. Our fans love to make excuses and sell our program short.

If the next head coach goes 3-9 and then 4-8, he is not getting four years. Napier may get fired after two years at Florida and he has a top 5 recruiting class coming in this year and it still may not save him.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 01:47 PM

$10 MIL per year just matches what's left on Kileman's contract. Leipold is most likely to make bank at a bigger program than us and we would have to be $9.5 MIL+ to just get his agent to pick up our phone call. We are not players for those 2 at all. Not happening.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:49 PM
Thats what some of us need to realize- To those guys State would pretty much be a lateral move

I think Klieman it is a downgrade. Elko and Leipold it is a lateral move. I think it is an upgrade for Campbell. The reasons i say it is a lateral move for Leipold and Elko is because of the job security those jobs come with because they are basketball schools. Same reason people think Indiana is a great job for a coach. Low expectations and competitive money.

I mean making 5 million a year at Kansas with the watered down Big XII is an easier gig than making 6.5 million at MSU and having to deal with the new SEC.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 01:52 PM
Paying Matt Campbell 11 million a year would be an interesting strategy. I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea. Then again, it's not my money. So a 4 year 44 million contract fully guaranteed would probably get the job done. The only question i would have is how much rope does that buy him, because it would seem like a lot.

We would go to someone else if it required $11 MIL to get Campbell.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:55 PM
We would go to someone else if it required $11 MIL to get Campbell.

I would hope so. I mean 17-20 the last three years in the Big XII doesn't scream 11 million a year.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 02:03 PM
I would hope so. I mean 17-20 the last three years in the Big XII doesn't scream 11 million a year.

Yeah. I like Campbell more than others, especially the total job he's done at ISU, but I'm not going more than $6 MIL with him.

People forget his starting QB, was ruled out for the season on criminal gambling charges. So he had to start a redshirt freshman for this year and beat OK State.

viverlibre
11-09-2023, 02:14 PM
$10 MIL per year just matches what's left on Kileman's contract. Leipold is most likely to make bank at a bigger program than us and we would have to be $9.5 MIL+ to just get his agent to pick up our phone call. We are not players for those 2 at all. Not happening.

Agree we are not players for those coaches, but they'd come for the right money. A Jimbo type contract, almost anyone would come. Again, we're not going to pay anyone that, but if we decided to, we could get almost anyone.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 02:16 PM
Agree we are not players for those coaches, but they'd come for the right money. A Jimbo type contract, almost anyone would come. Again, we're not going to pay anyone that, but if we decided to, we could get almost anyone.

We can't give a Jimbo contract in Mississippi.

Santiago
11-09-2023, 02:51 PM
Dude, he is the first coach since Earle Bruce in the mid 70's to even have a .500 record or better there. Their history and resources are worse than ours. He's done a very good job at ISU

This! What he has done at Iowa State is impressive in relative comparison to their past, and the total lack of recruiting.
To me this means he can evaluate talent and get more from less.

PCHSDawg
11-09-2023, 02:54 PM
I think Klieman it is a downgrade. Elko and Leipold it is a lateral move. I think it is an upgrade for Campbell. The reasons i say it is a lateral move for Leipold and Elko is because of the job security those jobs come with because they are basketball schools. Same reason people think Indiana is a great job for a coach. Low expectations and competitive money.

I mean making 5 million a year at Kansas with the watered down Big XII is an easier gig than making 6.5 million at MSU and having to deal with the new SEC.

I guess it's a good thing we are a basketball school now.;)

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 03:16 PM
If the next head coach goes 3-9 and then 4-8, he is not getting four years. Napier may get fired after two years at Florida and he has a top 5 recruiting class coming in this year and it still may not save him.

No one is going 3-9 at todays version of MSU. 4 wins is almost guaranteed at MSU now. This isn't the same as Jackie's days. We schedule 4 softies and have too much SEC money not to win 4.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 03:18 PM

Sad that you think Kansas and Duke football are lateral moves. You must work in the athletic department

HoopsDawg
11-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Funny that 3 of the 4 you named are defensive guys

If you go coordinator, you have to go offensive guy.

But if you have a proven head coach, who is also a good fit at MSU then it doesn't matter unless he runs a really boring offense.

No one but you wants to watch this Barbay shit.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 03:27 PM
No one is going 3-9 at todays version of MSU. 4 wins is almost guaranteed at MSU now. This isn't the same as Jackie's days. We schedule 4 softies and have too much SEC money not to win 4.

You think a guy gets year 3 if he goes back to back 4-8? No chance.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 03:30 PM
Sad that you think Kansas and Duke football are lateral moves. You must work in the athletic department

Do I think they are lateral programs? No. The question was about the head coach position based on where things are right now. Right now, those jobs based on factors that I think you are ignoring, make those jobs lateral moves if you are the head coach.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 03:31 PM

Yep, the way Arnett's contract is structured we weren't serious about giving him more than a year. The next coach will be an experienced guy that's getting four years.

parabrave
11-09-2023, 03:38 PM

Yep been saying that since the day he was hired. For those who say no way would he agree to be a one year fill in; if you knew that you would be let go by the new boss in a year but were offered the position at the top salary would you take it? Heck I would. There will always be a DC opening somewhere.

Coach34
11-09-2023, 03:46 PM

How are they not? 2 schools that have a ceiling of 8-9 wins in their conference year in and out

Coach34
11-09-2023, 03:47 PM
If you go coordinator, you have to go offensive guy.

But if you have a proven head coach, who is also a good fit at MSU then it doesn't matter unless he runs a really boring offense.

No one but you wants to watch this Barbay shit.

Baybay isnt the problem- its the people running it. Wright wouldnt be good in some other system just as Rogers is limited in what he can do