PDA

View Full Version : Worthy of a new thread: Tulane and Troy Coach rumor

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 12:07 PM
So the rumor du jour is Brandon Walker saying keep your eyes on the Tulane and Troy games. What are your thoughts gentleman?

Coursesuper
11-09-2023, 12:10 PM
So the rumor du jour is Brandon Walker saying keep your eyes on the Tulane and Troy games. What are your thoughts gentleman?

Both seem solid.

Jeb Busch Lite
11-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Would much rather Sumrall. Fritz is a great coach but 63 is old. Afraid he would would retire in 2-3 years and then we would be hiring our 6th coach in 10 years

Maverick91
11-09-2023, 12:14 PM
I’d rather have the Troy coach. Younger, more energetic, from the south, rather take that leap, buyout is much smaller and could probably grab him for a much cheaper price tag to make sure he is a good fit.

RiverCityDawg
11-09-2023, 12:19 PM

He doesn't actually know anything, he's just talking like the rest of us.

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 12:24 PM
I’d rather have the Troy coach. Younger, more energetic, from the south, rather take that leap, buyout is much smaller and could probably grab him for a much cheaper price tag to make sure he is a good fit.

I agree with everything you said my only pause is the Troy coach is a defensive coach. I feel like we need an offensive coach but I'm open to arguments either way.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Fritz is getting up there and this could be a rebuilding process for a good three years. I think Sumrall would be the better choice of the two. That's just my opinion.

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Fritz is getting up there and this could be a rebuilding process for a good three years. I think Sumrall would be the better choice of the two. That's just my opinion.

Has Fritz used the portal to build his last two (really good) Tulane teams? I honestly don't know but they were sort of good all of the sudden it seems. His overall record is not good, that's pretty evident.

edited: his overall record at Tulane I mean. His overall coaching record is good.

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2023, 12:36 PM
They are both on the list, I think they are probably a bit behind a few candidates, quite a few in the case of Sumrall.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 12:52 PM
I like them both, but it won't be either of those. Just my opinion.

CoachT14
11-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Sumrall can't recruit, can't build a good SEC staff, and has bad offenses. Pass.

Cooterpoot
11-09-2023, 01:33 PM
Not happening - neither one, so you can move on

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:40 PM

That is great news in my opinion. If our next head coach is going to be a better candidate than Fritz and Sumrall then he must be a homerun hire. Fritz and Sumrall are damn good coaches so if we can fly by them as if they joke candidates, I am pumped for the actual coach we are hiring.

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 01:42 PM

Any chance Brandon is running interference for the dept as we go after real targets?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-12-2019/q177g1.gif

viverlibre
11-09-2023, 01:43 PM

The three year rebuilds in the SEC (other than Vandy) get ushered out with Croom.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 01:50 PM
The three year rebuilds in the SEC (other than Vandy) get ushered out with Croom.

It took Mark Stoops 5 years to make Kentucky competitive. It's going to take two portal raids and at least two years to get us going in the right direction.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 01:50 PM

Oooooh, that's interesting.

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 01:53 PM
It took Mark Stoops 5 years to make Kentucky competitive. It's going to take two portal raids and at least two years to get us going in the right direction.

As Billy Napier is proving, no one gets 4 years anymore. You better show real progess in year 2. Everyone will give the next head coach the 2024 season because any rational fan sees what the talent level is on the team next year, but even the rational fan will expect to see a 2009 MSU type team next year. If not, the third year is not a given. I think it should be, and I'm in the camp that we need to build our program, but i'm in the minority.

TStationDawg
11-09-2023, 02:48 PM

You're killing me with these cryptic posts man! Give me something, ANYTHING, just give me another game to keep my eyes on.... since I have no reason to watch State anymore!!!!

Jarius
11-09-2023, 03:01 PM
I'd have them both way down the list, but on the list. Would be "meh" hire.

Bothrops
11-09-2023, 03:24 PM

I doubt it. There's no telling what's going on in reality.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 04:20 PM
I doubt it. There's no telling what's going on in reality.

I hope it stays like this until the hire is made and it's a home run! Then I'll love Selmon.

PGHBulldogBG
11-09-2023, 05:29 PM
Jamey Chadwell is the football version of Chris Jans. We need to do what we can to get him. Just like Jans, he has won everywhere he has been at schools with no football history. We hit a homerun in hoops and hopefully the same can be said when we hire Chadwell. I got my first choice for the basketball search, so I?m not sure I will go 2 for 2

Johnson85
11-09-2023, 05:35 PM
As Billy Napier is proving, no one gets 4 years anymore. You better show real progess in year 2. Everyone will give the next head coach the 2024 season because any rational fan sees what the talent level is on the team next year, but even the rational fan will expect to see a 2009 MSU type team next year. If not, the third year is not a given. I think it should be, and I'm in the camp that we need to build our program, but i'm in the minority.

I don't think a 2009 type team is necessary to get a third year. I think it just has to look like he's getting better. If we go 4-8 and then 6-6, I think the coach will definitely get a third year unless there are issues off the field. If we went 6-6 in '25 before losing practically all of our starters and 75% of our 2-deep (which I guess is theoretically possible with our current team make up and the portal?), then I guess people might be concerned that that was a peak, but even then, I think he'd get more time.

Maverick91
11-09-2023, 07:24 PM
Jamey Chadwell is the football version of Chris Jans. We need to do what we can to get him. Just like Jans, he has won everywhere he has been at schools with no football history. We hit a homerun in hoops and hopefully the same can be said when we hire Chadwell. I got my first choice for the basketball search, so I?m not sure I will go 2 for 2

Just looked at him, would hate to know his buyout. But looks impressive. I don’t know how to judge if he recruits well though.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 07:31 PM
Just looked at him, would hate to know his buyout. But looks impressive. I don’t know how to judge if he recruits well though.

His buyout will be somewhere around $12-16 MIL. They are private so details are not public but thats where most are putting it.

msstate7
11-09-2023, 07:43 PM
Even if someone actually knows who we're interested in, there's no way to know if they're possible. Some will play schools for raises and any coach that has options will wait to see what other jobs open.

Maverick91
11-09-2023, 11:14 PM
His buyout will be somewhere around $12-16 MIL. They are private so details are not public but thats where most are putting it.

Ouch

Todd4State
11-10-2023, 01:39 AM
Even if someone actually knows who we're interested in, there's no way to know if they're possible. Some will play schools for raises and any coach that has options will wait to see what other jobs open.

Yeah. My guess is we're starting to put feelers out right now. Just beginning the process really.

KOdawg1
11-10-2023, 11:22 AM
Sumrall is doing a good job, but he's a defensive guy, and I'd prefer us get an offensive coach this time around.

Fritz is fantastic but he's old.

No thanks to both

TrapGame
11-10-2023, 12:14 PM
Yeah. My guess is we're starting to put feelers out right now. Just beginning the process really.

I'd really like for the rumor that Arnett is canned after the A&M game to be true. We can announce a new coach the Sunday after Thanksgiving. He comes in the following week hitting the portal, trying to retain current players and maybe try to make a late push with some high school guys.

Maverick91
11-10-2023, 12:24 PM
I'd really like for the rumor that Arnett is canned after the A&M game to be true. We can announce a new coach the Sunday after Thanksgiving. He comes in the following week hitting the portal, trying to retain current players and maybe try to make a late push with some high school guys.

There is a rumor that we are canning him after this weekend?

TrapGame
11-10-2023, 12:25 PM
There is a rumor that we are canning him after this weekend?

Yep. Brandon Walker said it along with the watch the Tulane and Troy game hint.

Just a rumor.

gtowndawg
11-10-2023, 12:28 PM
Yep. Brandon Walker said it along with the watch the Tulane and Troy game hint.

Just a rumor.

Do we know if the buyout changes if fired this weekend (which I doubt) compared to after the Egg Bowl? I would assume it goes down the day after the Egg Bowl but I'm not privy to contract details.

RiverCityDawg
11-10-2023, 12:28 PM

He would recruit in the average range of 24-32 like anyone else that has or will coach here. Honestly, this staff would be in that range too if they weren't going for cheap NIL Juco players so they can load up on more expensive portal guys when the time comes... And now if everyone didn't know they were getting fired soon.

Back to Chadwell, he would be a fantastic hire and a near perfect fit. No idea if we can/would pay the buyout or if he wants to take this rebuild job though. He would be my first call (after the obligatory calls to sitting P5 HCs who will undoubtedly say no and maybe even laugh at us for calling.)

Really Clark?
11-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Do we know if the buyout changes if fired this weekend (which I doubt) compared to after the Egg Bowl? I would assume it goes down the day after the Egg Bowl but I'm not privy to contract details.

The buyout doesn't change in either circumstance, now or after the EB it's the same.

CoachT14
11-10-2023, 01:24 PM

He recruited about 10-15 spots higher than CCU has historically while he was there. His last class is about 40 spots higher than Beck's current class at CCU.

He's about the same as Freeze was at Liberty. Maybe about 5 spots difference.

Todd4State
11-10-2023, 09:22 PM

Yeah. Really no point in keeping him honesty. We should beat USM and then if Egg Bowl craziness happens we don't want to be in a situation where there is any doubt if we don't think he is the guy.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 11:19 AM
Sorry to bump my own thread BUT Brandon Walker did say Arnett would be fired after the A&M game. That was accurate. In that same prediction he said watch Tulane and Troy games....

msstate7
11-13-2023, 11:23 AM
I said it would one of Herman, Fritz, or Sumrall 2 weeks ago. I'll stick with it

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 11:26 AM
I said it would one of Herman, Fritz, or Sumrall 2 weeks ago. I'll stick with it

Do you think there could be any chance Fritz as Heach Coach and Sumrall as DC? Hiring another DC as head coach (Sumrall's background) just seems so unlikely. So Brandon mentioning those two seems paculariar to me.

msstate7
11-13-2023, 11:32 AM
Do you think there could be any chance Fritz as Heach Coach and Sumrall as DC? Hiring another DC as head coach (Sumrall's background) just seems so unlikely. So Brandon mentioning those two seems paculariar to me.

I don't see that at all.

confucius say
11-13-2023, 11:39 AM
Sumrall is doing a good job, but he's a defensive guy, and I'd prefer us get an offensive coach this time around.

Fritz is fantastic but he's old.

No thanks to both

So you wouldn't want the next lanning (or smart or saban)? Too broad a brush. Defensive guys can have fun offenses.

gtowndawg
11-13-2023, 11:52 AM
So you wouldn't want the next lanning (or smart or saban)? Too broad a brush. Defensive guys can have fun offenses.

Fair point, just a bit gun shy now plus our success seems to come more with an offensive minded coach. But I'm open for arguments certainly.