PDA

View Full Version : Is there any scenario where Arnett is retained?

starkvegasdawg
11-09-2023, 07:23 AM
I, like everybody else, think it's time to go in a different direction, but got to wondering if there is any set of circumstances that could cause the powers to be to say one more year short of winning out. And let's be honest...no chance in hell we win out. Winless maybe, not winning out.

DesotoDog1967
11-09-2023, 07:31 AM
Win in College Station plus a nail biter loss in the EB?

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2023, 07:46 AM
I think he?d have to win out.

Fans already have their minds made up so something dramatic would have to happen

msudawg1200
11-09-2023, 08:19 AM
Win out and look good doing it

msstate7
11-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Win 2 of 3 and look competent

PGHBulldogBG
11-09-2023, 08:30 AM
I get the impression that Selmon has already made up his mind Arnett won?t be retained. While that is probably a good thing, it could cause the team to shut down. I don?t think aTm or Egg Bowl will be close due to this. At the same time, it allows us to really start the coaching search which will hopefully lead to a quality hire for the future.

Tater
11-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Dominant egg bowl win.

Honestly, even just a win in it. It saved Moorhead temporarily.

EdwardDrayton
11-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Dominant egg bowl win.

Ha! People love a fairy tale until the fairy gets clubbed and skull dragged.

RiverCityDawg
11-09-2023, 08:47 AM
I, like everybody else, think it's time to go in a different direction, but got to wondering if there is any set of circumstances that could cause the powers to be to say one more year short of winning out. And let's be honest...no chance in hell we win out. Winless maybe, not winning out.

I guess if our offense miraculously- and it would take a miracle- went bonkers with Parson in there and put up 40+ against A&M in a loss, 50+ against USM in a win, and 40+ against ole miss in a win, I could see him return.

They might be like "okay, the offense looks good now with Parson, we trust him to fix the defense, we made a bowl and beat ole miss, let's give it another year."

With all that said, I think Parson will show flashes of promise, but overall it's going to be rough because the offense is run like a clown show. The defense will be meh and we'll finish 5-7.

Tater
11-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Ha! People love a fairy tale until the fairy gets clubbed and skull dragged.

He said scenario. Not realistic scenario. That's the answer. We're not here to debate feasibility.

Bdawg
11-09-2023, 08:50 AM
Hurts me to speak this way of CZA because Leach’s death forced him into a role he wasn’t ready for, but right now he sucks and was not prepared for this. If he is brought back under any circumstance, Selman should be fired. We are in the big leagues. Time to act like it. Only circumstance for Selman to bring him back is 15 different coaches turned us down.

EdwardDrayton
11-09-2023, 08:55 AM
He said scenario. Not realistic scenario. That's the answer. We're not here to debate feasibility.

Yup. Because we as State fans live on hopes and dreams.

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 09:27 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ov9jLsBqPh6rjuHuM/giphy.gif

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2023, 09:35 AM
Win out, look like you give a crap on the sidelines, and offensively and defensively look like we have an identity

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 09:42 AM
It's more than wins and losses. This coaching staff is clueless. Selmon knows it. Keenum knows it. For us to win games other than USM the other team would have to totally implode to the point where they are a jerk water junior high playing the third string QB.

State82
11-09-2023, 09:45 AM

I think this could possibly do it.

drummerdawg
11-09-2023, 09:47 AM
Win 2 and be competitive in the loss.

msudawg1200
11-09-2023, 09:57 AM
No way 2 of 3 saves him. It has to be all three, and we have to look competent and dominant in all three. Anything other than that, and they're done.

confucius say
11-09-2023, 10:04 AM
No way 2 of 3 saves him. It has to be all three, and we have to look competent and dominant in all three. Anything other than that, and they're done.

Nah. Parson looks really good vs Aggie but loses 30-27.

Parson looks even better and we roll USM 42-10. Hrs freshman of the week in SEC.

Parson plays well and we beat OM.

It's obvious Parson is a stud and we look much better. That would save ZA. Hope is an important currency.

CoachT14
11-09-2023, 10:07 AM
I get the impression that Selmon has already made up his mind Arnett won?t be retained. While that is probably a good thing, it could cause the team to shut down. I don?t think aTm or Egg Bowl will be close due to this. At the same time, it allows us to really start the coaching search which will hopefully lead to a quality hire for the future.

I saw a ton of give up on that team Saturday night until Parson came in. If they trot Will or Mike back out there, I imagine the team will be done after the first drive or so.

CaptainObvious
11-09-2023, 10:14 AM

Shut down? This team scored 3 against Kentucky. Kentucky played vanilla and only scored 24. They could have scored whatever they needed to win. They only needed 2 safeties to win. It ain?t about shutting down. This team doesn?t know how to Open Up, thanks to inadequate coaching.

I can see the USM game being a 24-14 win. The other 2 will be ugly losses unless the opponents starting lineups get suspended before the game.

msudawg1200
11-09-2023, 11:30 AM
Nah. Parson looks really good vs Aggie but loses 30-27.

Parson looks even better and we roll USM 42-10. Hrs freshman of the week in SEC.

Parson plays well and we beat OM.

It's obvious Parson is a stud and we look much better. That would save ZA. Hope is an important currency.

If this is the case then we deserve what we ask for

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 11:34 AM
How many college and NFL coaches have been fired going .500 or better in their first season?

DesotoDog1967
11-09-2023, 11:53 AM
Just saw on SECRant

Brandon W says Saturday is Arnett's last game and pay attention to Troy games

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 12:02 PM
Just saw on SECRant

Saw that rumor too but I think he actually said pay attention to Tulane AND Troy. I can't see us going for another Defensive guy (like Troy Coach).

R2Dawg
11-09-2023, 12:03 PM

This is probably it but will have to be the right 2. Close loss at TAMU. Beat USM and OM and just look like a team the last 3 games. Beat TAMU and USM and lose bad to OM and I think he is gone.

R2Dawg
11-09-2023, 12:05 PM
Saw that rumor too but I think he actually said pay attention to Tulane AND Troy. I can't see us going for another Defensive guy (like Troy Coach).

Tulane could be a real possibility; also what about James Madison HC? They doing something right.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 12:09 PM

This is Croom, non inspiring with no hope for the future, Peter Sirman D results, and JoMo trying to pound round pegs into square holes on O. Just no. I dread watching his lack of on the field "product" in the three remaining games. Hail State! Hire a real SEC caliber HC ASAP!

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Dominant egg bowl win.

In my 60th year of watching State football, I am well beyond the point of beating OM makes everything OK in a failure of a season. This year's clown show has been bad and terrible to watch since game one. Even the wins were ugly and hard to watch. Hail State!

sandjunky
11-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Hell naw

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 12:42 PM
No chance. And Saturday is going to be a blowout.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 12:44 PM
No chance. And Saturday is going to be a blowout.

Agreed, no way Jimbo lets CZA put another nail in his coffin, especially at aTm home game. Here's a thought. Think any aTm fans want us to win so they can finally fire Jimbo?

EdwardDrayton
11-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Agreed, no way Jimbo lets CZA put another nail in his coffin, especially at aTm home game. Here's a thought. Think any aTm fans want us to win so they can finally fire Jimbo?

Even A&Mediocre does not have that much money.

Dawgology
11-09-2023, 01:42 PM
Winning out and looking competent doing it plus a win in whatever bowl game would do it. 8-5 final record. But I don?t see it happening. I?d be super happy if it did though.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 04:01 PM

Oh they have plenty. It's just whether or not they want to spend it or not. They have so much money it's ridiculous.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 04:12 PM
Just saw on SECRant

That's pretty bold to say Saturday will be Arnett's last game.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 04:25 PM
That's pretty bold to say Saturday will be Arnett's last game.

That would be our luck, then USM beats our ass.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 04:28 PM
That would be our luck, then USM beats our ass.

Most of our 8 to 10 former players who hit the portal to USM are not only not starting, but not even on their roster. Let that sink in on our evaluation/recruiting the last couple of years.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2023, 04:29 PM
Most of our 8 to 10 former players who hit the portal to USM are not only not starting, but not even on their roster. Let that sink in on our evaluation/recruiting the last couple of years.

Wow

Homedawg
11-09-2023, 04:51 PM

yerp

schddog72
11-09-2023, 05:48 PM

aTm can afford to fire Jimbo and his entire staff three or four times over and still not be hurting. Basically, UTexas and aTM have more $$$ than God.

BuckyIsAB****
11-09-2023, 05:53 PM
If we win the egg bowl I bet he stays. I want to beat them but I don?t want another day of this staff

dawgday166
11-09-2023, 05:57 PM
This is Croom, non inspiring with no hope for the future, Peter Sirman D results, and JoMo trying to pound round pegs into square holes on O. Just no. I dread watching his lack of on the field "product" in the three remaining games. Hail State! Hire a real SEC caliber HC ASAP!

That's not uncommon and is normal attrition in recruiting classes. Saban been cashiering recruits that didn't work out for years. Mullen had a couple of so higher ranked recruits that never worked out.

Talked to a Louisville bud a couple of days ago. Louisville 7-5 last year. Coach left. Braun came in and is 8-1 with wins over #10 ND and #20 Duke. Rebuilt thru the portal. Their portal players are contributing. They seem to know how to evaluate portal players and coach up there.

EdwardDrayton
11-09-2023, 07:01 PM
Oh they have plenty. It's just whether or not they want to spend it or not. They have so much money it's ridiculous.

aTm can afford to fire Jimbo and his entire staff three or four times over and still not be hurting. Basically, UTexas and aTM have more $$$ than God.

A&M has a large endowment but endowments can't be used like a free trip to the ATM. A $75 million buyout is a huge nut for them to swallow. He's not going to get fired.

R2Dawg
11-09-2023, 07:12 PM
If we win the egg bowl I bet he stays. I want to beat them but I don?t want another day of this staff

I think he has to win more than egg but if he looks good against USM and OM in big wins; I say its 50/50. He is so not ready, we just don't have time to grow a HC in this era.

msudawg1200
11-09-2023, 07:18 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/5brykl.jpg

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2023, 07:32 PM
I saw a ton of give up on that team Saturday night until Parson came in. If they trot Will or Mike back out there, I imagine the team will be done after the first drive or so.

If he gets to six wins, assuming the egg bowl isnt a blow out, I think he gets another year, which I think is a mistake.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 09:00 PM

Every other coach in the entire country from Middle School to the NFL turns us down perhaps?****