PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on "The Rivalry"

CadaverDawg
12-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I was reading a thread on SPS about the OM excuse machine and it got me to thinking about the truth of the matter. And here is what I think...

Here's the thing.... We both hate each other equally and we both feel the same way about the rivalry as the other. The only difference is...MSU fans are, for the most part, too nice and gullible for their own good. So when ole miss plays the cold shoulder game and starts saying "we don't care about you. You are little brother. Etc..." State fans get pissed. Too many State fans feel like they have to make them say that they are our rival and that we need some type of acknowledgement for beating them. They don't have to acknowledge it, and neither do we...they know what happened Thursday, so don't let them fool you with the propaganda and excuses.

Now, Ole miss is still the ones that bring that shit up with all of the excuses and talking about not caring...but State fans are the idiots because we act like they are serious and some believe that trash. They don't truly think LSU is their rival, they say that shit because it riles up MSU fans. They don't truly think we won because we wanted it more...they just know that's one of the only things they can say after losing their 4th in 5 years to us that will get under our skin.

Truth is, Ole miss, for the most part, has more egotistical snobby fans. And instead of just doing their talking on the field and then tipping their cap when they lose to us...they know they can act superior win or lose and get under our skin. They know they aren't superior, and many of them are probably extremely insecure to have some of the egos they have....but if they get a reaction out of us, and they get media attention for acting like they're better, then why not do it?

It's the same reason we will never recruit better than ole miss over a decent amount of time, yet we can beat them consistently by working harder and playing with a chip on our shoulder. Their teams are usually a collected group of talented players, while our team is usually more of a family or TEAM.

Their strategy has pros and cons, as does ours. But at the end of the day, having winning seasons and beating your rival is so much sweeter as a State fan because it's like the feeling of earning the money to buy a nice house or a nice car, versus having your Daddy leave you a Trust fund to buy it. Yes, having the trust fund is awesome and at times can make one envious....but knowing you earned it, and that you truly accomplished something has greater value IMO.

Ole Miss fans will say that the whole "family" argument is just an excuse for not recruiting well...but that's not true. If we hadn't beaten their higher recruiting classes 4 of the last 5 years with our lower talented "family", they may have an argument.

It's two different styles, and two different viewpoints, from two fan bases that have very different make ups.

And what is funny is, Freeze is trying to take OM from just being talented, to becoming a talented family with his preacher persona. It will never work though because you can't take a bunch of Carmelo Anthony's and turn them into a team of unselfish teammates. Meanwhile, Dan Mullen is trying to take MSU from just a family, to a talented family. I'm not sure it can work either, but it's starting to look better and better by the day.

When the dust clears, I would rather have a united football team that brings their lunch pail to work every day, than a collected group of talented individuals that do not play as well as a team. Sometimes it makes the heartache worse when something bad happens...but then again, don't you always hurt more when something happens to a family member than when it happens to someone outside your family?

I would have to lean towards the gullible family that is sometimes too nice for their own good, as the better program than the egotistical trust fund group of "friends". But maybe that's just me.

HailState

joben3
12-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I was reading a thread on SPS about the OM excuse machine and it got me to thinking about the truth of the matter. And here is what I think...

Here's the thing.... We both hate each other equally and we both feel the same way about the rivalry as the other. The only difference is...MSU fans are, for the most part, too nice and gullible for their own good. So when ole miss plays the cold shoulder game and starts saying "we don't care about you. You are little brother. Etc..." State fans get pissed. Too many State fans feel like they have to make them say that they are our rival and that we need some type of acknowledgement for beating them. They don't have to acknowledge it, and neither do we...they know what happened Thursday, so don't let them fool you with the propaganda and excuses.

Now, Ole miss is still the ones that bring that shit up with all of the excuses and talking about not caring...but State fans are the idiots because we act like they are serious and some believe that trash. They don't truly think LSU is their rival, they say that shit because it riles up MSU fans. They don't truly think we won because we wanted it more...they just know that's one of the only things they can say after losing their 4th in 5 years to us that will get under our skin.

Truth is, Ole miss, for the most part, has more egotistical snobby fans. And instead of just doing their talking on the field and then tipping their cap when they lose to us...they know they can act superior win or lose and get under our skin. They know they aren't superior, and many of them are probably extremely insecure to have some of the egos they have....but if they get a reaction out of us, and they get media attention for acting like they're better, then why not do it?

It's the same reason we will never recruit better than ole miss over a decent amount of time, yet we can beat them consistently by working harder and playing with a chip on our shoulder. Their teams are usually a collected group of talented players, while our team is usually more of a family or TEAM.

Their strategy has pros and cons, as does ours. But at the end of the day, having winning seasons and beating your rival is so much sweeter as a State fan because it's like the feeling of earning the money to buy a nice house or a nice car, versus having your Daddy leave you a Trust fund to buy it. Yes, having the trust fund is awesome and at times can make one envious....but knowing you earned it, and that you truly accomplished something has greater value IMO.

Ole Miss fans will say that the whole "family" argument is just an excuse for not recruiting well...but that's not true. If we hadn't beaten their higher recruiting classes 4 of the last 5 years with our lower talented "family", they may have an argument.

It's two different styles, and two different viewpoints, from two fan bases that have very different make ups.

And what is funny is, Freeze is trying to take OM from just being talented, to becoming a talented family with his preacher persona. It will never work though because you can't take a bunch of Carmelo Anthony's and turn them into a team of unselfish teammates. Meanwhile, Dan Mullen is trying to take MSU from just a family, to a talented family. I'm not sure it can work either, but it's starting to look better and better by the day.

When the dust clears, I would rather have a united football team that brings their lunch pail to work every day, than a collected group of talented individuals that do not play as well as a team. Sometimes it makes the heartache worse when something bad happens...but then again, don't you always hurt more when something happens to a family member than when it happens to someone outside your family?

I would have to lean towards the gullible family that is sometimes too nice for their own good, as the better program than the egotistical trust fund group of "friends". But maybe that's just me.

HailState

Spot on sir. Spot on... It speaks about the type of person who decides to be at state than ole miss, and I am okay with that type of person being at state than ole miss.

BulldogBear
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Agree with joben. It's somewhat of a reflection of the difference between the AVERAGE State and UMiss fan/alumnus

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Agree with joben. It's somewhat of a reflection of the difference between the AVERAGE State and UMiss fan/alumnus

Agree with both of you

Barking 13
12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
it's the same reason "all star" bands never work out... they may sell a million copies of one record, but usually are done after that...

I know, goofy analogy...

Bubb Rubb
12-05-2013, 11:03 AM

HailState

I think you are correct to a point, but don't fool yourself. There are fans at Mississippi that actually believe the shit that gets spun. They do such an artful job of it that they have a huge flock of sheep who actually believe that LSU is their real rival, that they are better than us, that the egg bowl doesn't mean as much to them, blah blah blah. This is the delusional wing of their fanbase that we reference so many times.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I think you are correct to a point, but don't fool yourself. There are fans at Mississippi that actually believe the shit that gets spun. They do such an artful job of it that they have a huge flock of sheep who actually believe that LSU is their real rival, that they are better than us, that the egg bowl doesn't mean as much to them, blah blah blah. This is the delusional wing of their fanbase that we reference so many times.

I disagree. I don't think any of them believe that. I think they act like they do because it gets under MSU skin. After seeing 45,000 storm the field after beating MSU last year...how can you say that a good percentage of those people believe it? Were the 50% of OM fans that don't care if they lose to us just not in attendance that night? It's a front they put on so that people will focus on their false superiority instead of the fact that we beat their ass for the 4th game out of the last 5. And it is working...just look at SPS and EliteDawgs lately. The conversation is more about what the Rebs are saying than it is about the fact that we just halted their momentum and reclaimed OUR State.

Pollodawg
12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I agree with a lot of what CD has said, but what makes me laugh the hardest out of all of their "trash talk" is the "we own the rivalry" bullshit they spew. Let me be clear, I don't give a damn about an Egg Bowl from when my dad was four. Why they think that would bother me is beyond me.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
There is still a small percentage of Rebs living that remember the 60s and prior. These old Rebs really believe they are superior to MSU. They raised their kids (now adults)obviously to believe it too. Again, a small percentage of their fans but they are out there.

slickdawg
12-05-2013, 12:27 PM
There is still a small percentage of Rebs living that remember the 60s and prior. These old Rebs really believe they are superior to MSU. They raised their kids (now adults)obviously to believe it too. Again, a small percentage of their fans but they are out there.

And these are the Billy Cannon haunted ones, they are the primary "LSU is our real rival" people because of those few years.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 12:35 PM
And these are the Billy Cannon haunted ones, they are the primary "LSU is our real rival" people because of those few years.

Yep, these aren't the message board trolls on Nafoom and visiting SPS all day. The guys we see on message boards, twitter, social media, etc... Are saying that trash for one reason and one reason only. And that is to try and get under our skin and put on a front for their program because they know their program can't promote itself via wins and accomplishments.

Reading Nafoom is like reading thread after thread of guys discussing how long their dicks are, when in reality, everybody behind those keyboards is hung like a light switch and has probably never had a girl interested enough to find that out. (And many of them would probably prefer it be a guy finding out)

blacklistedbully
12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I disagree. I don't think any of them believe that. I think they act like they do because it gets under MSU skin. After seeing 45,000 storm the field after beating MSU last year...how can you say that a good percentage of those people believe it? Were the 50% of OM fans that don't care if they lose to us just not in attendance that night? It's a front they put on so that people will focus on their false superiority instead of the fact that we beat their ass for the 4th game out of the last 5. And it is working...just look at SPS and EliteDawgs lately. The conversation is more about what the Rebs are saying than it is about the fact that we just halted their momentum and reclaimed OUR State.

I'm definitely with BubbRub on this one, Cadaver. Your post is solid, and correct on many points. But there is NO WAY you could ever convince me that even a majority of their fans don't actually believe they are better. I have family & friends that went to Ole Miss, and it changed them. They do not say that stuff "just to get under my skin". Same is true of most OM posters I've encountered on MB's. They take their "superiority" to such an extreme that they'll post some of the most anger-filled, personal attack diatribes you've ever witnesses just because you dared to say something bad about OM or even suggest that MSU is better, or even on a par.

It goes WAY, WAY, WAY beyond what you're talking about. There have been at least 2 OM posters on Rivals that have been blacklisted from the site because they were so eager to blast me personally and in such an obnoxious, classless way. They literally hate me with the burning passion of 1000 suns, and when they can't counter any of my posts with reason, they resort to the aforementioned insults.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm definitely with BubbRub on this one, Cadaver. Your post is solid, and correct on many points. But there is NO WAY you could ever convince me that even a majority of their fans don't actually believe they are better. I have family & friends that went to Ole Miss, and it changed them. They do not say that stuff "just to get under my skin". Same is true of most OM posters I've encountered on MB's. They take their "superiority" to such an extreme that they'll post some of the most anger-filled, personal attack diatribes you've ever witnesses just because you dared to say something bad about OM or even suggest that MSU is better, or even on a par.

It goes WAY, WAY, WAY beyond what you're talking about. There have been at least 2 OM posters on Rivals that have been blacklisted from the site because they were so eager to blast me personally and in such an obnoxious, classless way. They literally hate me with the burning passion of 1000 suns, and when they can't counter any of my posts with reason, they resort to the aforementioned insults.

Agree to disagree. It could be that they are just doing a really good job of getting under your skin! Ha

Truth is, anybody that thinks they are superior to other people, is likely an insecure person. Especially if they are living that superiority through their sports team. It's one thing if you are Lebron James and you feel superior, because you kind of are....but if you are some Joe Schmoe doucher in the Grove that is acting superior, you likely have personal issues, because you aren't superior to shit.

blacklistedbully
12-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Agree to disagree. It could be that they are just doing a really good job of getting under your skin! Ha

Nah, it's the other way around. I own them with facts and reason. They can't hang, so they lose it. That's why they're gone & I'm not.