PDA

View Full Version : As a history scholar- the past tells us what is likely to happen

Coach34
11-08-2023, 08:46 PM
Arnett still could save his job. It could happen. Is it likely? No. We appear to be staring 5-7 dead in the face. 5-7 seems to be something the majority of our fanbase refuses to accept for this season. So here we go.

History is the best predictor of the future. Ok

In modern State history- we have had 2 Retread coaches and 3 coordinators. Retread success is 2 for 2. Coordinator success is 1 for 3. Where is the Up and Comer guy? Nowhere. The Up and Comer either wasnt someone we viewed as acceptable or the Up and Comer would not take our job- like a Napier. But there have been others. So history says- we gonna hire a retread.

Could Selmon pull Stoops? That would be fantastic. Malzahn? He has about 5 years left coaching- why would he leave Florida at this point? Beautiful Bobby P would jump- he needs a P5 job ASAP at 62. Herman? He is in Y1 of his rebuild- at 48 he can be choosy about his next P5 opportunity. He has to pick correctly on his next choice. Being in Y1 at FAU gives him time to be choosey for 2 more years. Other retreads are out there

Coordinators? There is a chance we make a hire from the P5 coordinator scene. Someone that could Mullen us. Get here- build- make us competitive- move on to a big job next. Texas and OU moving in will make these guys think twice on this.

Up and Comers? This group is the most highly unlikely group to be chosen. We need a proven person. We need someone with big conference success. Someone that has recruited in P5. Gonna eliminate most Up and Comers from the G5.

Should be fun watching the next month.

smootness
11-08-2023, 09:00 PM
Leach was not a retread.

Quaoarsking
11-08-2023, 09:03 PM
Wait, are you talk about Bob Stoops? Are people thinking he's a candidate?

Obviously I recant everything I've said about everyone else and I'm all in on him if that's actually a possibility, but I can't believe there's even the faintest chance that he could be in the mix. (Or were you talking about Mike?)

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2023, 09:13 PM
I was thinking about this today.

Did we catch lightning in a bottle with Mullen? Yes. How likely is that to happen again? Unlikely in my opinion.

Then there was Bellard and Jackie. There seems to be a number of candidates in this category.

Then there are the instances where we have totally struck out hiring someone with no HC experience. Felker, Croom and Arnett. However obviously Arnett was not a typical situation.

Whatever happens I just hope we find someone to stick around and give us some stability. We've seen programs with more resources than ours wander aimlessly for years (Ark, UT, USC, UF)

Coach34
11-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Leach was not a retread.

Leach was 100% a retread. He was stuck in obscurity that is Pullman, Washington. He wanted to be somewhere with more relevance. 100% retread

Nobody gives a shit about Washington State

Matt3467
11-08-2023, 09:41 PM
Leach was 100% a retread. He was stuck in obscurity that is Pullman, Washington. He wanted to be somewhere with more relevance. 100% retread

I think retreads are typically coaches that have been fired and although he was let go from Tech he was at another program in between us so I don't consider him to be one. If relevancy is a factor in it then most (outside of our fanbase) would say the same thing about us that no one gives a crap about Mississippi State.

memsu06
11-08-2023, 09:50 PM
Leach wasn't a retread.

He was a proven winner that had less talent than his competition. That's the exact person MSU needs.

If Tennessee weren't idiots they would have hired him. Leach wanted to coach in the SEC and we gave him that opportunity. If he was coach today we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

Mullen worked out because they found talent that were diamonds in the rough. Now does that translate to the NIL? I think it could if you have someone who's good at evaluating transfer portal talent.

We don't have the NIL to compete with the big programs, but we can pull the backups that aren't getting playing time at the big programs.

parabrave
11-08-2023, 11:17 PM
Leach was not a retread.

E Bellard was. Hey 34 I think you need Bob Tyler as a Coordinator.

Todd4State
11-09-2023, 12:00 AM
Because Arnett "could" save his job is why he needs to be fired after Texas A&M. We don't need to delay the inevitable and hurt our program further over a random Egg Bowl win like Ole Miss did with Matt Luke.

I would love it if Bob Stoops took our job. But at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Traditionally, MSU hasn't really gone after "up and coming" G5 coaches because the thought from the AD was "retreads and rising coordinators". Sure we went after Napier but that was really the first time we did something like that. I don't think we have a sample size to say whether it is viable or not for us. I would imagine that it would likely be more successful that going after a rising coordinator who is learning on the job here. Even Dan had to learn on the job to a degree here- remember when he didn't ask for a replay against Houston when their QB threw a pass beyond the LOS? That probably cost us a bowl.

Quaoarsking
11-09-2023, 12:26 AM
So ... if Bob Stoops wanted to return to college football, wouldn't he be a lot more likely to try to pursue the Florida or Texas A&M jobs than ours? I don't like to put us down, but we're not sniping a coach away from either of those schools.

Pancho
11-09-2023, 06:24 AM
roger, Selmon will get Keenum a HC who has been a coordinator only or maybe been a HC for 5 or less years. It's coming

KB21
11-09-2023, 08:12 AM
So ... if Bob Stoops wanted to return to college football, wouldn't he be a lot more likely to try to pursue the Florida or Texas A&M jobs than ours? I don't like to put us down, but we're not sniping a coach away from either of those schools.

I don’t think it’s likely, but there is an obvious connection between Bob and Zac. Bob was also very close with Mike Leach. He’s already in the HOF. We aren’t exactly a pressure cooker like Florida or TAMU.

Again, I don’t think it is likely, but if there is a possibility, this should be the top option.

Quaoarsking
11-09-2023, 08:15 AM
I don’t think it’s likely, but there is an obvious connection between Bob and Zac. Bob was also very close with Mike Leach. He’s already in the HOF. We aren’t exactly a pressure cooker like Florida or TAMU.

Again, I don’t think it is likely, but if there is a possibility, this should be the top option.

The "obvious connection" is that Selmon was a lower level athletic department employee when Stoops was the head coach there? Did they know each other beyond acquaintance? Or do they have more of a connection than that?

msudawg1200
11-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Give it up dude. Your buddies are toast. It's over. There's no saving anything. We will have a new coach in 2024.

KB21
11-09-2023, 08:31 AM
The "obvious connection" is that Selmon was a lower level athletic department employee when Stoops was the head coach there? Did they know each other beyond acquaintance? Or do they have more of a connection than that?

https://x.com/barry_switzer/status/1348719094871298053?s=46&t=boMwTsd5d1vappV0mJtn8g

preachermatt83
11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Leach wasn't a retread.

He was a proven winner that had less talent than his competition. That's the exact person MSU needs.

If Tennessee weren't idiots they would have hired him. Leach wanted to coach in the SEC and we gave him that opportunity. If he was coach today we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

Mullen worked out because they found talent that were diamonds in the rough. Now does that translate to the NIL? I think it could if you have someone who's good at evaluating transfer portal talent.

We don't have the NIL to compete with the big programs, but we can pull the backups that aren't getting playing time at the big programs.

This ^. Rep given

preachermatt83
11-09-2023, 08:54 AM
Anybody listing stoops as even a remote possibility is absolutely off their rocker

basedog
11-09-2023, 09:20 AM
Anybody listing stoops as even a remote possibility is absolutely off their rocker

Nothing wrong with asking or "bumping the tires", cost nothing and like the commercial says "It's Free".

basedog
11-09-2023, 09:21 AM
Hey 34.....woof!

Coach34
11-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Give it up dude. Your buddies are toast. It's over. There's no saving anything. We will have a new coach in 2024.

lol...I'm pretty clearly in agreement at how this is going to turn out. Nothing to "give up"

Maroonthirteen
11-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Im sure all of our coaching searches start out with an ideal candidate. However reflecting back on the hires over the years, it seems more to me, it's a matter of who is willing to take the job. Who is available at that time, fits and wants it.

I doubt any MSU AD went into a coaching search saying, "only sitting p5 head coach". Or "only p5 coordinator", "only young" You get the idea.

I think the positive for this coaching search is that the situation isn't terrible. We didn't fire a long time coach. We have some talent. I'd like to think State admin and boosters have a reputation of patience.

gtowndawg
11-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Leach wasn't a retread.

Exactly. Leach's Washington State team finished 11-2 and ranked #10 in the final season poll 13 months before we hired him. Calling him a retread is just...well, stupid.

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2023, 09:34 AM
This Stoops thing reminds me of Tennessee and their Gruden infatuation. Maybe he is crazy enough to entertain the offer but the guy is 63. He has not been in the grind for close to 7 years and I seriously doubt he wants to get back into coaching just to help out a family friend. It is nice to dream but I do not see it remotely happening. I would be shocked if he even interviewed.

DesotoDog1967
11-09-2023, 09:38 AM
Nice to dream before you get back to the reality that State will end up with their own version of Sun Belt Billy

confucius say
11-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Stop with the Stoops stuff. Geez.

I think we will kick the tires on several sitting P5 guys first and see if they want to join the SEC. Not all of these, but guys like:
Doren
Elko
Clawson
Jonathan Smith
Mack Brown
Judd Fisch
Whittingham
Gus
Holgerson
Leipold
Kleiman
Gundy
Dykes

We need someone we know can run a program at this level. We knew Jackie and Leach could because they'd done it. Weren't sure with mullen, Croom, or ZA and hit one of three.

Johnson85
11-09-2023, 10:55 AM

I think that's a complete joke, right? Did somebody post the bob stoops thing being serious?

Coach34
11-09-2023, 11:15 AM
This Stoops thing reminds me of Tennessee and their Gruden infatuation. Maybe he is crazy enough to entertain the offer but the guy is 63. He has not been in the grind for close to 7 years and I seriously doubt he wants to get back into coaching just to help out a family friend. It is nice to dream but I do not see it remotely happening. I would be shocked if he even interviewed.

uhhhh- Stoops is currently coaching in the XFL. He coached the Arlington Renegades this Spring and won the championship

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2023, 11:58 AM
uhhhh- Stoops is currently coaching in the XFL. He coached the Arlington Renegades this Spring and won the championship

If you are seriously trying to compare coaching in the XFL to coaching at high level college football then I can offer no further help to you and you may want to just hang it up on here. The XFL guys practice 2-3 times a week and play 8-10 games. There are no trades, no FA, no recruiting, nothing. How do you think that is remotely comparable?

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 03:28 PM
If you are seriously trying to compare coaching in the XFL to coaching at high level college football then I can offer no further help to you and you may want to just hang it up on here. The XFL guys practice 2-3 times a week and play 8-10 games. There are no trades, no FA, no recruiting, nothing. How do you think that is remotely comparable?

And some their games, they look as poorly coached and lack of overall talent as our team this year. Virtually every league to challenge the the NFL, even the Spring leagues has failed. Only exception was the old AFL which some of the best teams were taken in the merger.

Coach34
11-09-2023, 03:31 PM

He had to manage a team and a coaching staff. Coach games. It's very comparable and you know it. Is it as encompassing as being an SEC HC? No. But it wasnt a damn part-time job. Jesus

BuckyIsAB****
11-09-2023, 05:57 PM

Yeah nobody cared when they won like 11 games and beat USC and Minshew was up for heisman. They cared like they did about us being number 1. Im just glad you have finally admitted you are just like Moorhead and others, you want to win your way or not at all

BuckyIsAB****
11-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Because Arnett "could" save his job is why he needs to be fired after Texas A&M. We don't need to delay the inevitable and hurt our program further over a random Egg Bowl win like Ole Miss did with Matt Luke.

I would love it if Bob Stoops took our job. But at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Traditionally, MSU hasn't really gone after "up and coming" G5 coaches because the thought from the AD was "retreads and rising coordinators". Sure we went after Napier but that was really the first time we did something like that. I don't think we have a sample size to say whether it is viable or not for us. I would imagine that it would likely be more successful that going after a rising coordinator who is learning on the job here. Even Dan had to learn on the job to a degree here- remember when he didn't ask for a replay against Houston when their QB threw a pass beyond the LOS? That probably cost us a bowl.

Yes he needs to be fired Sunday morning

Quaoarsking
11-09-2023, 06:48 PM
Theory: Coach34 is bringing up Stoops to try to get everyone expecting THAT big of a hire, and make everyone disappointed when it turns out to "just" be Herman or whomever. Then Coach34 can revel in the disappointment and say "I told you firing Arnett was a bad idea."

Coach34
11-09-2023, 07:49 PM
Theory: Coach34 is bringing up Stoops to try to get everyone expecting THAT big of a hire, and make everyone disappointed when it turns out to "just" be Herman or whomever. Then Coach34 can revel in the disappointment and say "I told you firing Arnett was a bad idea."

Not even close. aGAIN I give no ****s if we fire Arnett or not. I just think the hiring process will be interesting after firing JoMo in 2 years (which I fully supported) and now Arnett after 1 year. I'm extremely curious as to how it will turn out.

Santiago
11-10-2023, 07:27 AM
Yes he needs to be fired Sunday morning

I feel the same way, and have never been a proponent of firing in season. But who would competently take over and run the program as interim?

Todd4State
11-10-2023, 08:37 AM
I feel the same way, and have never been a proponent of firing in season. But who would competently take over and run the program as interim?

No idea. Probably Hughes because he was the head coach at Jackson State.

Johnson85
11-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Not even close. aGAIN I give no ****s if we fire Arnett or not. I just think the hiring process will be interesting after firing JoMo in 2 years (which I fully supported) and now Arnett after 1 year. I'm extremely curious as to how it will turn out.

I don't think JoMo is really going to make a difference. Leach had some transition pains and was perfectly safe. I think Arnett getting fired after one year may cause some raised eyebrows, but I don't think JoMo will play into it. If it does, I think what coaches will realize is that the school looks beyond the record to determine your security. Not sure if that will be comforting or concerning to potential coaches. I think it probably ups our buyout for our eventual hire.

sandjunky
11-10-2023, 09:51 AM
Arnett still could save his job. It could happen. Is it likely? No. We appear to be staring 5-7 dead in the face. 5-7 seems to be something the majority of our fanbase refuses to accept for this season. So here we go.

History is the best predictor of the future. Ok

In modern State history- we have had 2 Retread coaches and 3 coordinators. Retread success is 2 for 2. Coordinator success is 1 for 3. Where is the Up and Comer guy? Nowhere. The Up and Comer either wasnt someone we viewed as acceptable or the Up and Comer would not take our job- like a Napier. But there have been others. So history says- we gonna hire a retread.

Could Selmon pull Stoops? That would be fantastic. Malzahn? He has about 5 years left coaching- why would he leave Florida at this point? Beautiful Bobby P would jump- he needs a P5 job ASAP at 62. Herman? He is in Y1 of his rebuild- at 48 he can be choosy about his next P5 opportunity. He has to pick correctly on his next choice. Being in Y1 at FAU gives him time to be choosey for 2 more years. Other retreads are out there

Coordinators? There is a chance we make a hire from the P5 coordinator scene. Someone that could Mullen us. Get here- build- make us competitive- move on to a big job next. Texas and OU moving in will make these guys think twice on this.

Up and Comers? This group is the most highly unlikely group to be chosen. We need a proven person. We need someone with big conference success. Someone that has recruited in P5. Gonna eliminate most Up and Comers from the G5.

Should be fun watching the next month.

You teach history?

StarkVegasSteve
11-10-2023, 10:03 AM

Probably Knox

DownwardDawg
11-10-2023, 10:30 AM
I don't think JoMo is really going to make a difference. Leach had some transition pains and was perfectly safe. I think Arnett getting fired after one year may cause some raised eyebrows, but I don't think JoMo will play into it. If it does, I think what coaches will realize is that the school looks beyond the record to determine your security. Not sure if that will be comforting or concerning to potential coaches. I think it probably ups our buyout for our eventual hire.
It will have absolutely ZERO effect on our hiring process. Coaches aren't wusses and scared of crap like that. Hell, the industry im in, upper management gets "moved along" every year or so and there's a line of people who can't wait to show how much better they are than the previous "coach".
If that ever creeps into their minds, they'll look at how long we have Croom, JWS when he was having shit years, Mullen when he was losing to South Alabama and winning 5 games. Etc....

TrapGame
11-10-2023, 10:38 AM
It will have absolutely ZERO effect on our hiring process. Coaches aren't wusses and scared of crap like that. Hell, the industry im in, upper management gets "moved along" every year or so and there's a line of people who can't wait to show how much better they are than the previous "coach".
If that ever creeps into their minds, they'll look at how long we have Croom, JWS when he was having shit years, Mullen when he was losing to South Alabama and winning 5 games. Etc....

Bingo. If it's true about some well known coaches reaching out to us already, then no one is taking any of that into consideration.

Goldendawg
11-10-2023, 10:38 AM
If we lose again against aTm and look bad doing it (as per every game this year w or l), fire him Sunday. Make a statement to all our program, fans and the college football world that we are serious about winning and are moving on!

BuckyIsAB****
11-10-2023, 10:42 AM

Tony Hughes

ScooterDog
11-10-2023, 12:06 PM
I think Maroon13 is on the right track, but many times they hire someone who you would least expect. With this in mind, be ready for a surprise.

parabrave
11-10-2023, 02:04 PM
If we lose again against aTm and look bad doing it (as per every game this year w or l), fire him Sunday. Make a statement to all our program, fans and the college football world that we are serious about winning and are moving on!

If he hasn't been fired yet it won't happen till after the EB.

basedog
11-10-2023, 02:10 PM
If he hasn't been fired yet it won't happen till after the EB.

Or the week of Egg week.