PDA

View Full Version : NIL

phatdog
11-08-2023, 10:42 AM
I know individual deals aren't publicized and I'm not asking for that. Seems like someone would have an idea on what our budget is, how may people work for the BI, etc. Who makes the deals? I guess the coaching staff has some input to who gets a deal. There is a lot about the NIL I think the average fan doesn't know about. I'd think if the BI were loaded it would be something we would want out in the open, it would help attract the attention of potential transfer. If the BI is underfunded, opponents would use it against us. Someone enlighten this old fart.

Homedawg
11-08-2023, 10:49 AM
You don't tell your kids they have a blank check to spend at the store bc if you do, they will break you. You can't publicly state the amount we have in nil for various reasons. One, if you announce it whatever we have would be zero bc the players would say, "hey you've got that amout I want more for me". Two, no matter the amount you can't let the opposition know what you have....... Stating the amount doesn't gain you any advantage.

Dawgology
11-08-2023, 10:51 AM
I know individual deals aren't publicized and I'm not asking for that. Seems like someone would have an idea on what our budget is, how may people work for the BI, etc. Who makes the deals? I guess the coaching staff has some input to who gets a deal. There is a lot about the NIL I think the average fan doesn't know about. I'd think if the BI were loaded it would be something we would want out in the open, it would help attract the attention of potential transfer. If the BI is underfunded, opponents would use it against us. Someone enlighten this old fart.

Several on here hint at it as if they know something but I don't know if they really do or if it's just posturing. I would like to see some real, hard numbers to decide where I want to put my money in the future. If we are stacked and have 10 mil+ in the coffer but we are having these kind of recruiting results then I will just maintain my current contributions to the Bulldog Club because it will be clear that no realistic amount of money will help us.

cheewgumm
11-08-2023, 11:00 AM
The $ has to constantly keep coming. There is no number toreach. We need players every year.

This is why I pray they are pushing (not just offering) the monthly small donations from a LOT of fans.

Again?

25,000 (fans( c $20/ month = $6,000,000 / year.

This is the way for State. But our NIL people have to realize that their job is the grow the # of fans that will pay some small amount and constantly work to grow that number.

It will work but they have to push it.

confucius say
11-08-2023, 12:48 PM
The $ has to constantly keep coming. There is no number toreach. We need players every year.

This is why I pray they are pushing (not just offering) the monthly small donations from a LOT of fans.

Again?

25,000 (fans( c $20/ month = $6,000,000 / year.

This is the way for State. But our NIL people have to realize that their job is the grow the # of fans that will pay some small amount and constantly work to grow that number.

It will work but they have to push it.

And almost everybody on here can afford $20 a month.

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 01:03 PM
And almost everybody on here can afford $20 a month.

Y'all won't like this but it's the truth. For me, it's not about if I can afford $20 a month or not. I hate the fact that I have to pay some player to go to my school to play. It's stupid. I don't pay NFL players and I'm not paying college players either. I have no problem with players making money, but use the revenue the players generate like tv money, tickets, apparel endorsements. Just make it minor league NFL.

Ranchdawg
11-08-2023, 01:10 PM
IMO NIL needs to be way more transparent for all colleges that compete in the power 5. I know that if NIL deals are forced to be public then the Bama?s of college football will just go back to the old way buying players under the table.

But with this much money flowing with no transparency then it is ripe for corruption and fraud. I don?t know what the answer is but the current situation is not sustainable. Especially for the have nots.

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 01:11 PM
Y'all won't like this but it's the truth. For me, it's not about if I can afford $20 a month or not. I hate the fact that I have to pay some player to go to my school to play. It's stupid. I don't pay NFL players and I'm not paying college players either. I have no problem with players making money, but use the revenue the players generate like tv money, tickets, apparel endorsements. Just make it minor league NFL.

If you hate that just wait until after House vs NCAA hits in a few years. The problem now is like it our not this the way things work and it swim or sink.

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 01:15 PM
If you hate that just wait until after House vs NCAA hits in a few years. The problem now is like it our not this the way things work and it swim or sink.

I'm not gonna hate it because I'm still not paying. I also won't complain when we suck.

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 01:55 PM
I'm not gonna hate it because I'm still not paying. I also won't complain when we suck.

Don't complain when we get shuffled out in the next realignment then either. Football drives the bus, where it goes the rest of the athletic department goes. That, whether you choose to believe it or not, will impact the university as a whole.

confucius say
11-08-2023, 02:12 PM

Ok. Don't complain about losing then or possibly becoming G5 one day.

Extendedcab
11-08-2023, 02:57 PM

This all Day! They are getting a free education for their efforts! They are supposed to be STUDENT ATHLETES not employees!

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 03:31 PM
This all Day! They are getting a free education for their efforts! They are supposed to be STUDENT ATHLETES not employees!

Attitudes like this are exactly why we can't have nice things.

cheewgumm
11-08-2023, 03:31 PM
I agree with all these complaints and think you all are right.

But this is the game right now.

We play or we suck.

I?m paying $20/ month. Not much, but hoping many follow.

confucius say
11-08-2023, 03:59 PM

It's not 1992 anymore

Cooterpoot
11-08-2023, 04:14 PM

Then you shouldn't waste your time on state athletics related message boards, since you don't care and all.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2023, 04:16 PM

And they're spending over 40 hours a week in football related practices, workouts, etc. and they're who the school benefits from by getting millions. That education isn't remotely close the the value of the football program. How many kids will make close to $100MM a year with that "free education"?. Even pro football players aren't pulling that down.

gtowndawg
11-08-2023, 04:26 PM
And they're spending over 40 hours a week in football related practices, workouts, etc. and they're who the school benefits from by getting millions. That education isn't remotely close the the value of the football program. How many kids will make close to $100MM a year with that "free education"?. Even pro football players aren't pulling that down.

They do spend a TON of time on their chosen sport, doesn't matter which one. They definitly deserve somthing, I'm just not sure what they deserve to truely be fair and equitable to both the players and the schools.

cheewgumm
11-08-2023, 04:39 PM
The NCAA is corrupt.

They make billions off players back and won?t pay them . They will ALLOW them to be paid?just not by them.

It?s corruption to its core.

However.

1) We can not change it.
2) our lives are more enjoyable with Dak (or players like him)

So we get to decide.

memsu06
11-08-2023, 04:41 PM
I still think my idea to get the fans more involved is to ask for a round up from concession sales. Say we have 48K fans and say each person donates $0.50 for the roundup that's $24K per home game, or say only half decide to and now we're at $12K per home game. Well that's $12-24K that wasn't there before. At 7-8 home games a year you're looking at $84K-$192K per year towards the NIL efforts. Continue the effort to all sales on campus through the year like the book store, student union, campus shops, etc. Get local businesses involved as well.

confucius say
11-08-2023, 04:41 PM

I hear ya and largely agree.
But they get a lot more than a free education.
Meals. Housing. Stipends. Clothing. A platform to showcase talents to millions. Publicity that leads to jobs outside of football. Etc...

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2023, 06:14 PM
Other side of it.... a coworkers son plays for a ACC school. He says the players know who gets paid and who doesn't. There is some jealousy but the dad says that is what the portal is For. He makes no qualms, if they don't get a little piece this year (his kid is a Rsoph) they are jumping on the portal for an offer.

He says his kid gets unsolicited random calls from other schools boosters and girls occasionally.

Ranchdawg
11-08-2023, 06:18 PM
I thought student athletes were not supposed to receive anything more than what normal students receive. So when are we going to have NIL for top students.

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 06:35 PM
This tread confirms everything that I have always thought about MSState and its people. We will never ever get it right. We are incapable of pulling the rope in the same direction. We couldn?t pour piss out of a boot with directions on the 17n heel.

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 06:40 PM

Then you misread my issue. I don't care that they get paid. My question is, why do I have to pay? Nobody is giving me a damn bit of the revenue they generate from playing football. If I owned a business that profits from football, then I'd be all in. If true school wants to charge more for a ticket or concessions and give a portion to the athletes then I'm all for it. Just doesn't make sense for me to have to pay the athlete and then pay to watch the athlete.

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 06:44 PM
This tread confirms everything that I have always thought about MSState and its people. We will never ever get it right. We are incapable of pulling the rope in the same direction. We couldn?t pour piss out of a boot with directions on the 17n heel.

Cool story. Sorry I'm not willing to pay some kid to play football. If that makes me a bad fan, I literally couldn't give a shit. I'm about to start paying for my own kids to go to college. Hoping you're willing to donate. She will be cheering in college so surely you can give her $20 a month.

Homedawg
11-08-2023, 06:52 PM

There's a ton of truth to this.

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 07:16 PM
There's a ton of truth to this.

Amen, these 17ers are exactly why we are always staring at the horses ass in front of us.

Coursesuper
11-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Cool story. Sorry I'm not willing to pay some kid to play football. If that makes me a bad fan, I literally couldn't give a shit. I'm about to start paying for my own kids to go to college. Hoping you're willing to donate. She will be cheering in college so surely you can give her $20 a month.

What is it like to live your life in a state of perpetual assholery? It has to get tiresome at some point.

cheewgumm
11-08-2023, 07:39 PM
Everyone does not have to pay. It's everyone's choice.

I just wish and hope the NIL folks are calling a lot of people. Call a bunch and get some % of that to pay.

Not everyone can or is willing to. Not a big deal...call the next person.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-08-2023, 07:54 PM
I’m not paying NIL either. I have kids in college and a mortgage. I give 10% of gross wages to my church, and I just gave $5000 to a guy I barely know that is going through cancer and in need. I’m not giving NIL to kids who seem to have money for pot, big rims on their car, etc. Call me what you want.

BeardoMSU
11-08-2023, 08:13 PM

This. Guess Templeton was right about us.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2023, 08:16 PM
I thought student athletes were not supposed to receive anything more than what normal students receive. So when are we going to have NIL for top students.

Other students have the ability to take the things they are learning and directly apply it into opportunities to make money while in school. They have always been allowed to seek endorsement deals, act, model, run businesses etc. If an alumni or booster gave them a no work summer job no one cares. Students and MSU now can use their ideas and get university support to become entrepreneurs and sell their ideas. All of these things made athletes ineligible prior to NIL. And that's why the NCAA got their asses handed to them in court.

Activated Alpha
11-08-2023, 08:17 PM
Then you misread my issue. I don't care that they get paid. My question is, why do I have to pay? Nobody is giving me a damn bit of the revenue they generate from playing football. If I owned a business that profits from football, then I'd be all in. If true school wants to charge more for a ticket or concessions and give a portion to the athletes then I'm all for it. Just doesn't make sense for me to have to pay the athlete and then pay to watch the athlete.

That last sentence definitely makes sense and why it is so frustrating to watch football sometimes. Sadly, I don't think anything will be done about it and why they shouldn't have implemented NIL without some type of structure

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 09:45 PM
What is it like to live your life in a state of perpetual assholery? It has to get tiresome at some point.

I'm an asshole because I don't want to give money to some kid I'll never meet to play football. How about you kiss my ass you pos.

BeardoMSU
11-08-2023, 09:49 PM
If this thread is remotely representative of the overall fanbase, home yall are excited to be in the same class as Vandy...

Extendedcab
11-08-2023, 09:51 PM

They are not pros or they weren?t pros before now. It?s the ole amatuer thing and the fact they are students first and sports is second or extracurricular. They are redefining college sports and doing away with its amateur status.

This is what irks a lot of folks including me.

RezDog7
11-08-2023, 09:52 PM
If this thread is remotely representative of the overall fanbase, home yall are excited to be in the same class as Vandy...

Have you checked recruiting lately and our record. Pretty damn close. So why will my $240 a year matter and why would I waste that money on a crappy product or a coach that is recruiting juco kids?

somebodyshotmypaw
11-08-2023, 10:10 PM

That would actually improve the sport. Imagine if every college athletic program took their academics seriously and made it a priority.

BeardoMSU
11-08-2023, 10:16 PM
Have you checked recruiting lately and our record. Pretty damn close. So why will my $240 a year matter and why would I waste that money on a crappy product or a coach that is recruiting juco kids?

That would actually improve the sport. Imagine if every college athletic program took their academics seriously and made it a priority.

Jesus, guys...

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2023, 10:26 PM
NM
Wrong thread.

Dawgology
11-09-2023, 12:18 AM

My son spends about 20 hours a week on football. 25+ in the summer with workouts, conditioning and practice. He gets paid nothing. I guess we need to get a lawsuit started.

Dawgology
11-09-2023, 12:26 AM
That last sentence definitely makes sense and why it is so frustrating to watch football sometimes. Sadly, I don't think anything will be done about it and why they shouldn't have implemented NIL without some type of structure

It?s coming. Congress has noticed and this is directly from the IRS ?big, big problems with NIL in college sports?. There have been multiple meetings on it. I expect there will be some guidance or mandates passed very soon and I expect the IRS to be heavily involved. It?s an arms race right now and it?s gone off the rails.

Pancho
11-09-2023, 06:22 AM
Don't talk politics on here. Folks will begin to squirm and feel uneasy. I am sure that politicians can solve this weighty NIL issue though*********