PDA

View Full Version : Where did the fire go in Arnett?

paverdog
11-07-2023, 07:35 PM
For three years, we seen Arnett on the sidelines jumping, yelling and full of energy, and seeing him now just blows my mind. I thought Leach was stale on the sides, but Arnett just walks back and forth, arms closed, fingers tapping and I've not seen hardly anytime, he has talked to a player coming off the field. I've never seen a coach change so much in one year before. I been for the hire and wanted it to work for him, but can someone tell me what the heck happened to that fire. Players need to see that and fans do also. Can someone tell me what happen to his attitude during games.

Homedawg
11-07-2023, 07:41 PM
He has his moments. But not being the dc he just has a different personality as a head coach. That's not why we are losing

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 08:00 PM
Being HC some of that has to change - he is the game mgr of the whole game not just part of it. He can't afford to be too fired up.

I did see him Sat chew out Russell when they had to burn a TO with a player substitution issue. But it wasn't Russells fault. He came out and ran back out doing what another coach told him to do. It was a bad look. Later Russell slammed his helmet when he came out, not sure what that was about. We don't have leadership/culture issues like Moorhead but the team ain't right.

KB21
11-07-2023, 08:03 PM
Being HC some of that has to change - he is the game mgr of the whole game not just part of it. He can't afford to be too fired up.

I did see him Sat chew out Russell when they had to burn a TO with a player substitution issue. But it wasn't Russells fault. He came out and ran back out doing what another coach told him to do. It was a bad look. Later Russell slammed his helmet when he came out, not sure what that was about. We don't have leadership/culture issues like Moorhead but the team ain't right.

It’s worse than with Joe. The team never completely tuned Joe out. They have tuned out this staff.

Coach34
11-07-2023, 08:14 PM
This has been the question for me this season.

The guy who is HC doesnt even resemble the guy that was DC. And that is why he is failing. You have to change some- but you dont change who you are. Kirby is a prime example. Its so baffling

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 08:21 PM
It’s worse than with Joe. The team never completely tuned Joe out. They have tuned out this staff.

No its not. Do you not remember Hill quiting middle of year? fight with our QB and D player in bowl practice, laziness everywhere.

There is no team unity just like the fanbase with the AR split. You can't do this kind of change and have everyone on the same page. This is part of the problem. Mix in air bone and AR cult - what kind of team think we'd have? We'd suck even if Saban tried coaching us.

paverdog
11-07-2023, 08:30 PM

The guy who is HC doesnt even resemble the guy that was DC. And that is why he is failing. You have to change some- but you dont change who you are. Kirby is a prime example. Its so baffling

Thats exactly right Coach. It's like two different people. It's just to much of a change.

Coach34
11-07-2023, 08:30 PM
No its not. Do you not remember Hill quiting middle of year? fight with our QB and D player in bowl practice, laziness everywhere.

There is no team unity just like the fanbase with the AR split. You can't do this kind of change and have everyone on the same page. This is part of the problem. Mix in air bone and AR cult - what kind of team think we'd have? We'd suck even if Saban tried coaching us.

Yep

KB21
11-07-2023, 08:41 PM
He’s failing because his philosophy is outdated, and he doesn’t have a clue what you need to do to win.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-07-2023, 08:47 PM
For three years, we seen Arnett on the sidelines jumping, yelling and full of energy, and seeing him now just blows my mind. I thought Leach was stale on the sides, but Arnett just walks back and forth, arms closed, fingers tapping and I've not seen hardly anytime, he has talked to a player coming off the field. I've never seen a coach change so much in one year before. I been for the hire and wanted it to work for him, but can someone tell me what the heck happened to that fire. Players need to see that and fans do also. Can someone tell me what happen to his attitude during games.

Ever since the f bomb on live TV, he hasn't been the same.

KOdawg1
11-07-2023, 08:59 PM
The pressure is just too much. He wasn't ready for this and he knows it

Coach34
11-07-2023, 09:24 PM
The pressure is just too much. He wasn't ready for this and he knows it

This is where we disagree and is what is so perplexing to me.

As Jackie would say- He told his OC's and DC's what he wanted- and if they didnt get it done- he would fire their ass and get someone else. SEC coordinators have a super tough job. HC's get to fire them to save their jobs year after year.

Arnett's complete personality change is just baffling and ultimately why he is failing

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 09:26 PM
He'll get the fire back when he's LSU's D Coordinator next year.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 09:29 PM

It sucks because I liked him. I wanted him to be the next Mullen here.

ZedFedder
11-07-2023, 09:37 PM
It is truly flabbergasting.

Bdawg
11-07-2023, 10:01 PM
He looks like a man who has been told he?s not coming back. Not saying that?s the case, it just looks that way. Like someone said? ever since the F bomb he hasn?t been right. Or maybe with the way the season has gone, he just feels like a dead man walking. I just can?t believe he would change so much. I thought he would be our fire breathing Dawg on the sidelines, just pumping juice in our teams veins!! Total opposite and I?m shocked.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 10:05 PM

Great point. That's why leach kicked off everybody when he took over. The purge.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2023, 10:12 PM
It sucks because I liked him. I wanted him to be the next Mullen here.

Same here. Unfortunately for all involved it?s not working out. He?s a good dude and he?ll be a great dc for someone in the near future.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2023, 10:13 PM
Probably slowly destroyed by this message board.
It is a different kind of pressure when you are the boss. Most people want to think that they know what they would do, and how they would do it better, etc when they are just part of the staff or an employee.

The second you become an owner, things change.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2023, 10:18 PM
He looks like a man who has been told he?s not coming back. Not saying that?s the case, it just looks that way. Like someone said? ever since the F bomb he hasn?t been right. Or maybe with the way the season has gone, he just feels like a dead man walking. I just can?t believe he would change so much. I thought he would be our fire breathing Dawg on the sidelines, just pumping juice in our teams veins!! Total opposite and I?m shocked.

Yep. He should have routed out the problems in the off season and turned the page. You either buy in or you are gone. I still like the guy, and I wish he would be basically the D coordinator and let the offensive coaches 100% deal with the offense. Barbay isn?t the guy though. His offense just sucks. Can?t scheme for our talent at all. Two OL coaches is dumb too. It just isn?t working.

If I were Arnett, a change has to be made. He needs to take over the defense 100% and fire some of the offensive guys. Hell promote Bump to OC. Can?t be worse than Barbay.

Parson is the man, until Will is ready. I really don?t care to see Wright in the game. He may be fast, but he isn?t selling the RPO or Playaction at all. Also, he should only run if the throw isn?t there. There shouldn?t be an called QB runs because they are not fooling anyone.

paverdog
11-07-2023, 10:19 PM
Probably slowly destroyed by this message board.
It is a different kind of pressure when you are the boss. Most people want to think that they know what they would do, and how they would do it better, etc when they are just part of the staff or an employee.

The second you become an owner, things change.

I can understand what your saying, but the love for being on them sidelines for so long with the energy he had. I just don't see how he can all of a sudden drop it completely.

paverdog
11-07-2023, 10:30 PM
Maybe someone did get in his head about saying the f-bomb and he thought about it and said, the heck with it, I will just close up. I really didn't mind him saying it. that showed me he has spunk. I'm going to say it,, but you never know, things can change quick and turn around. Wright does not need to be on the field though, give it to Parson the rest of the way or Will if he can play.

jwbigcreek
11-07-2023, 10:44 PM
I kinda liked the f bomb. But it's time for him to go. Wish him well.

HoopsDawg
11-07-2023, 11:23 PM

He is overwhelmed. And he knows little to nothing about offense. As a head coach, you need to have an understanding of all sides of the game.

BankerDog
11-07-2023, 11:33 PM
This is where we disagree and is what is so perplexing to me.

As Jackie would say- He told his OC's and DC's what he wanted- and if they didnt get it done- he would fire their ass and get someone else. SEC coordinators have a super tough job. HC's get to fire them to save their jobs year after year.

Arnett's complete personality change is just baffling and ultimately why he is failing

They coached him to do exactly that. It?s why they pushed ?he is one of us? b/c he wears boots and were pushing the South Farm crap during fall camp. You could almost see this coming from a mile away if you reconnect all dots.

Gutter Cobreh
11-07-2023, 11:35 PM
He is overwhelmed. And he knows little to nothing about offense. As a head coach, you need to have an understanding of all sides of the game.

I don't believe this. Not the overwhelmed part, but the job of a DC is to scheme against an opposing offense. As such, he has to know about offense.

He just wasn't ready to handle all that came along with being the HC. Not to say he will never be a successful HC somewhere in the future, but for here and now it was just too much/too soon for him.

HoopsDawg
11-07-2023, 11:43 PM
I don't believe this. Not the overwhelmed part, but the job of a DC is to scheme against an opposing offense. As such, he has to know about offense.

He just wasn't ready to handle all that came along with being the HC. Not to say he will never be a successful HC somewhere in the future, but for here and now it was just too much/too soon for him.

The odds of success were extremely long. It just wasn't going to work. Most just didn't want to see it. And scheming against an offense and knowing how to run one are completely different.

Todd4State
11-08-2023, 12:12 AM

It seems to me like there is very little split in the MSU fan base right now. I think everyone agrees that Arnett should go except for maybe a few people. We have seen what a good well coached program looks like. Jackie, Dan, and Leach. And we have also seen a poorly coached product as well. Felker, Croom, Joe, and now Arnett.

Any "split" wasn't helped by this coaching staff. You don't make a hire for "continuity" and then fire all of the offensive coaches.

Switching offenses was a controversial decision- sure, it's Arnett's prerogative to do so. But it HAS TO work if you do switch. It's especially worse at MSU because we have had to suffer through transitions with veteran teams before. Sure. I prefer a good passing attack but this is ultimately no different than what Joe Moorhead did when we should have kept a power spread option attack like we had been doing with that team. However, since the offense has been Croom level bad it makes the decision to switch even worse. I believe most fans don't care that much about what kind of scheme we run- but they do understand what type of team Leach was building which was pass leaning. And to go away from that and then have that fail as hard as it has just pisses off fans.

This group of coaches is making the same mistakes we have seen before at MSU. And fans are tired of it. I think that's part of what makes this situation so bad.

The things that they have done by misleading fans- "we're not going far away from the Air Raid", appearing to be a collection of good old boys who have ties to Mississippi high schools running the show- Peterson and Friend, and now failing at recruiting while blaming everything on the previous staff and the players has made this group the least likeable MSU coaching staff I have ever seen and probably the least supported.

Todd4State
11-08-2023, 12:19 AM

He is in over his head. And when you're in over your head you're not going to appear confident. Arnett definitely got poor advice but I'm sure there is also a lot of pressure on him to take that advice. He's hearing a lot of different things from a lot of different directions and I think he is trying to please everyone and now no one is pleased.

They coached him to do exactly that. It?s why they pushed ?he is one of us? b/c he wears boots and were pushing the South Farm crap during fall camp. You could almost see this coming from a mile away if you reconnect all dots.

I could see this coming a mile a way as soon as he was hired when we did zero coaching search.

Not to mention the people that were hired soon after.

It has been pretty funny to see some of the MSU personalities that were bashing our previous culture have to do a complete 180 while the guy they championed completely and utterly fails. And then knowing that they kept receipts from people that they were sooo sure that they were "wrong" that they'll never get to use.

R2Dawg
11-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Great point. That's why leach kicked off everybody when he took over. The purge.

That is correct. It is why Shrader went to TE or WR or LB or whatever. CZA keeping Will was his first major mistake. He can't run this O and he is the biggest AR guy on team that takes mutiny with him. Never had a chance to have a team. That is on CZA not knowing and rookie mistake. He and we were in a bad spot. Again, why I said Leach coming in meant bad on front in and back end of program and that is exactly what we got.

R2Dawg
11-08-2023, 01:29 PM
It seems to me like there is very little split in the MSU fan base right now. I think everyone agrees that Arnett should go except for maybe a few people. We have seen what a good well coached program looks like. Jackie, Dan, and Leach. And we have also seen a poorly coached product as well. Felker, Croom, Joe, and now Arnett.

Any "split" wasn't helped by this coaching staff. You don't make a hire for "continuity" and then fire all of the offensive coaches.

Switching offenses was a controversial decision- sure, it's Arnett's prerogative to do so. But it HAS TO work if you do switch. It's especially worse at MSU because we have had to suffer through transitions with veteran teams before. Sure. I prefer a good passing attack but this is ultimately no different than what Joe Moorhead did when we should have kept a power spread option attack like we had been doing with that team. However, since the offense has been Croom level bad it makes the decision to switch even worse. I believe most fans don't care that much about what kind of scheme we run- but they do understand what type of team Leach was building which was pass leaning. And to go away from that and then have that fail as hard as it has just pisses off fans.

This group of coaches is making the same mistakes we have seen before at MSU. And fans are tired of it. I think that's part of what makes this situation so bad.

The things that they have done by misleading fans- "we're not going far away from the Air Raid", appearing to be a collection of good old boys who have ties to Mississippi high schools running the show- Peterson and Friend, and now failing at recruiting while blaming everything on the previous staff and the players has made this group the least likeable MSU coaching staff I have ever seen and probably the least supported.

Yeah unified to get new coaching staff but that is where the unity stops. All spring, summer, preseason and season, the fans and team have been divided over AR and new O. Yeah unfied now to go another direction.

Fact is a cleaning house must happen. A team not unified is a losing team.

The Federalist Engineer
11-08-2023, 03:15 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-12-2016/i6gesz.gif

Irondawg
11-08-2023, 03:34 PM
It looks like Arnett is miserable and that's been about since week 2/3 so it's not a recent change based on the losing. He has the look of a man who hates his job. So I just wonder if he's miserable in the HC role vs what he's used to. It's certainly not for everyone - a lot more responsibility and a lot less actual football coaching.

Todd4State
11-09-2023, 12:20 AM
Yeah unified to get new coaching staff but that is where the unity stops. All spring, summer, preseason and season, the fans and team have been divided over AR and new O. Yeah unfied now to go another direction.

Fact is a cleaning house must happen. A team not unified is a losing team.

And that falls completely on the coaching staff. There is no way that Arnett didn't know that many of our offensive players came here to play for Leach and the Air Raid. Everyone would have been fine tweaking it some and running more. They not only chose to blow it up- they went in the opposite direction. They HAD TO have known- Arnett in his first days made comments about not wanting to move completely away from the Air Raid. And they told recruits similar things.

The ONLY way that ever would have worked would have been for the offense to be better than last year.

Pancho
11-09-2023, 06:20 AM
Weren't Tulu and Woody sick of the AR and entertaining offers to leave? Maybe Arnett made terrible hires all except for himself?

TaleofTwoDogs
11-10-2023, 02:11 AM
You guys act like you have never seen the effects of the dead injuns before. It has been right in front of your eyes for the most part of the last 50 years. Not much we mortals can do about it. Seriously, we knew from the get go that even with a healthy dose of experience on this team, the possibility of a classic screw up with so many different "if" variables and no known "it" factor QB it could very easily turn into a Miss State cluster. We are seeing a melt down at all levels both players and coaches because success or failure in the SEC is a thin line. The performance failures are mounting up and everybody is feeling the frustrations which causes loses. It's the domino effect.

Todd4State
11-10-2023, 08:42 AM
Weren't Tulu and Woody sick of the AR and entertaining offers to leave? Maybe Arnett made terrible hires all except for himself?

I can assure you that if given a choice Tulu would prefer the Air Raid. I think that was more about him trying to make as much money for himself as anything.

Woody? Probably Barbay's but had he left it wouldn't have been that big of a deal IMO. RB is pretty replaceable. We would have been fine with Price, Pittman, and Davis in the Air Raid. As it is Woody has missed games and has been banged up and it's not because he was getting blown up on swing passes. He's a good back but he has always been injury prone.

Todd4State
11-10-2023, 08:43 AM
You guys act like you have never seen the effects of the dead injuns before. It has been right in front of your eyes for the most part of the last 50 years. Not much we mortals can do about it. Seriously, we knew from the get go that even with a healthy dose of experience on this team, the possibility of a classic screw up with so many different "if" variables and no known "it" factor QB it could very easily turn into a Miss State cluster. We are seeing a melt down at all levels both players and coaches because success or failure in the SEC is a thin line. The performance failures are mounting up and everybody is feeling the frustrations which causes loses. It's the domino effect.

I think it's more like our athletic administration makes mind numbingly stupid mistakes when it comes to football and is chronically at least 5 years behind at all times.

Santiago
11-10-2023, 09:06 AM
Yep. He should have routed out the problems in the off season and turned the page. You either buy in or you are gone. I still like the guy, and I wish he would be basically the D coordinator and let the offensive coaches 100% deal with the offense. Barbay isn?t the guy though. His offense just sucks. Can?t scheme for our talent at all. Two OL coaches is dumb too. It just isn?t working.

If I were Arnett, a change has to be made. He needs to take over the defense 100% and fire some of the offensive guys. Hell promote Bump to OC. Can?t be worse than Barbay.

Parson is the man, until Will is ready. I really don?t care to see Wright in the game. He may be fast, but he isn?t selling the RPO or Playaction at all. Also, he should only run if the throw isn?t there. There shouldn?t be an called QB runs because they are not fooling anyone.

Was 2 OL coaches just to get buddies hired that needed a job?

Santiago
11-10-2023, 09:08 AM
I think it's more like our athletic administration makes mind numbingly stupid mistakes when it comes to football and is chronically at least 5 years behind at all times.

Agree with Todd on this. I am not sure if sometimes in that small town if group think sets in overall in a building or what, but then it becomes the culture.
Byrne cleared out some problems, but it seems the stupidity crept back in. Case example is hiring the baseball coach to AD, and then the administration pumping him with the media people that "he was with Byrne interviewing Mullen". It is like they run the test cases locally there and get a thumbs up and then think alumni spread across other states also buy that BS. Sorty of kidding there, because I know they do better than that. Just sometimes the stupidity makes it feel that way though.

BuckyIsAB****
11-10-2023, 10:45 AM

Yes it is. These kids dont trust them and they shouldnt. They lied to them after everything they went thru

BuckyIsAB****
11-10-2023, 10:49 AM
That is correct. It is why Shrader went to TE or WR or LB or whatever. CZA keeping Will was his first major mistake. He can't run this O and he is the biggest AR guy on team that takes mutiny with him. Never had a chance to have a team. That is on CZA not knowing and rookie mistake. He and we were in a bad spot. Again, why I said Leach coming in meant bad on front in and back end of program and that is exactly what we got.

Will didnt cause any mutiny. The staff caused a mutiny lying and bringing in another Qb to replace the teams leader. If you think will rogers is causing this teams locker room issues I cant help you

Homedawg
11-10-2023, 11:33 AM

Woody wanted more Carries. Period. So yeah. Can't speak for tulu but it's not like he shined in it.

TorpedoIPA
11-10-2023, 11:51 AM
Woody wanted more Carries. Period. So yeah. Can't speak for tulu but it's not like he shined in it.
Marks touched the ball a hell of a lot in the Air Raid.

Goldendawg
11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Wish we still had Dillon Johnson and he was gettng more carries. His departure was a real head scratcher. All said, he made a wise decision and may well end up in the playoffs.

Really Clark?
11-10-2023, 12:23 PM
Marks touched the ball a hell of a lot in the Air Raid.

More carries as in rushes, Homedawg is correct