PDA

View Full Version : Coach Comparison Time

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 04:44 PM
Work is slow today and we have a good amount of names thrown out there now. Time for some blind resume fun.

Coach A:

66-35 career P5 record
26-13 career G5 record
1 NY6 appearance

Coach B:

72-40 career P5 record
27-12 career G5 record
2 NY6 appearance

Coach C:

103-61 career P5 record
4 NY6 appearance

Coach D:

32-18 career P5 record
26-9 career G5 record
2 NY6 appearances

Anyone want to take a shot at who these coaches are?

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 04:51 PM
Coach C is the one and only Daniel Mullen, aka Cousin Eddie

https://volswire.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2018/09/43761c39-9c46-46b8-8fb7-fce95aff240e-e1606875773706.jpeg

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 04:52 PM
Coach C is the one and only Daniel Mullen, aka Cousin Eddie

https://volswire.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2018/09/43761c39-9c46-46b8-8fb7-fce95aff240e-e1606875773706.jpeg

You are correct. Danno is C. Also I still crack up that we have ******* completely asterisk’d out.

SteelCurtain74
11-07-2023, 04:52 PM
A is Herman and I'll say C is Mullen. I'll say B is Petrino. Not sure on D

confucius say
11-07-2023, 04:55 PM
B is Gus
But he has 2 NY6 appearances I believe. Sugar in 2016 and Peach in 2017.

DesotoDog1967
11-07-2023, 04:56 PM
D might be Joey Freshwater

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 04:58 PM
B is Gus

You right. I will correct that and you are correct that B is Gus. Herman is D. And for those wondering, A is not a candidate for our job. A is Kiffin. His record is probably the least impressive on the list, but he found the perfect fit. That is what we need to be looking for, the perfect fit.

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 05:00 PM
B is Gus

Pretty sure Cousin Eddie only has 1 NY6

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:00 PM
Pretty sure Cousin Eddie only has 1 NY6

Dan actually has 4. I forgot two of them at Florida. Dan has 14 Orange, 18-19 Peach, 19-20 Orange, 20-21 Cotton

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 05:02 PM
14 Orange
18 Peach.

With an 8-4 record? Is Peach always a NY6 bowl?

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:05 PM

Yes. The 6 NY6 bowls are Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton

confucius say
11-07-2023, 05:06 PM

Think Florida was 9-3 in 2018

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:13 PM
I should have added that all 4 have been fired by a P5 school.

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 05:41 PM
I should have added that all 4 have been fired by a P5 school.

Which in all fairness is the fate of basically every college football coach. Just a matter of time.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:44 PM
Which in all fairness is the fate of basically every college football coach. Just a matter of time.

Unless they are Uber successful (ie Saban, Smart, etc). You are either going to be hiring or firing a coach and sometimes both once if you are lucky but most times twice every 7-8 years. It is why I cannot understand the hatred towards Mullen from our fan base. The guy gave us 9 always good and occasionally great years of incredible stability. Since then we have had 3, about to be 4, head coaches.

Dawgology
11-07-2023, 06:02 PM
Unless they are Uber successful (ie Saban, Smart, etc). You are either going to be hiring or firing a coach and sometimes both once if you are lucky but most times twice every 7-8 years. It is why I cannot understand the hatred towards Mullen from our fan base. The guy gave us 9 always good and occasionally great years of incredible stability. Since then we have had 3, about to be 4, head coaches.

This. Mullen outlasted the majority of SEC coaches outside of Saban and Smart. If he would have stayed we would be a perennial Top-20 team by now. He would be so successful in the NIL world now. It’s less about recruiting and selling a program and more about offering money.

parabrave
11-07-2023, 06:03 PM
A Kiffen

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 06:06 PM
This. Mullen outlasted the majority of SEC coaches outside of Saban and Smart. If he would have stayed we would be a perennial Top-20 team by now. He would be so successful in the NIL world now. It’s less about recruiting and selling a program and more about offering money.

I still think you have to sell the program. You have to have excitement. Dan got that. He tapped into that with our fan base and was able to get our fan base more bought in and invested than they had ever been. I mean we sold out what 20 something straight games? How many sell outs have we had since? Dan got it. He knew how to market a program. Kiffin is the same way. He knows how to market a program. That is what you have to do at a place like State, OM, USCe, UK, Mizzou, etc where the history of your program does not market itself.

lastmajordog
11-07-2023, 07:56 PM

Mullen leaving with the team he had returning is nothing short of major sin. I know florida is a great job but that “DOG” team had the potential to be a CFB playoff team. That defense only could beat most teams. I’m grateful DM corrected this sinking ship of a football team, but I will NEVER understand why he left when he did. But if he had stayed ONE MORE YEAR he could have gone ANYWHERE he wanted....and I dare say most DOG fans would have said TY and may the the road rise up to meet you.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Mullen leaving with the team he had returning is nothing short of major sin. I know florida is a great job but that “DOG” team had the potential to be a CFB playoff team. That defense only could beat most teams. I’m grateful DM corrected this sinking ship of a football team, but I will NEVER understand why he left when he did. But if he had stayed ONE MORE YEAR he could have gone ANYWHERE he wanted....and I dare say most DOG fans would have said TY and may the the road rise up to meet you.

Yeah. He really screwed up us and himself by leaving when he did. It was terrible timing.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 08:07 PM

He left because he thought it was time. Heck he damn near left in 16 to take the Colorado job but decided to stay. He had a chance to get a in his mind blue blood tier job at Tennessee or Florida and did not know when those would come open again. That is why he told Keenum and Cohen in October of 17 that he would be looking at other jobs that off-season. He gave us notice that we needed to start up an internal hot board.

lastmajordog
11-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Yeah. He really screwed up us and himself by leaving when he did. It was terrible timing.

TY

lastmajordog
11-07-2023, 08:26 PM
He left because he thought it was time. Heck he damn near left in 16 to take the Colorado job but decided to stay. He had a chance to get a in his mind blue blood tier job at Tennessee or Florida and did not know when those would come open again. That is why he told Keenum and Cohen in October of 17 that he would be looking at other jobs that off-season. He gave us notice that we needed to start up an internal hot board.

I stilll don?t understand one more year with the BEST TEAM HE ASSEMBLED.......Taking the DOGS to the CFB playoff .... ESPN would call him a legend .....I willl never understand.
the GREAT that 18 team could have had......as the article stated....CLEMSON looked at the Bama game film and implemented it and won the National Championship......think about that .....

PGHBulldogBG
11-08-2023, 09:22 AM
I stilll don?t understand one more year with the BEST TEAM HE ASSEMBLED.......Taking the DOGS to the CFB playoff .... ESPN would call him a legend .....I willl never understand.
the GREAT that 18 team could have had......as the article stated....CLEMSON looked at the Bama game film and implemented it and won the National Championship......think about that .....

As much as I dislike Moorhead, I still don?t think our offense was strong enough to get to the CFB playoff. I might have given us more a shot if we had Bama and LSU at home those years, but I?m sure Mullen would have beat UK and UF. We would have definitely got a NY6 bowl though and most likely would have won.

StarkVegasSteve
11-08-2023, 09:37 AM
As much as I dislike Moorhead, I still don?t think our offense was strong enough to get to the CFB playoff. I might have given us more a shot if we had Bama and LSU at home those years, but I?m sure Mullen would have beat UK and UF. We would have definitely got a NY6 bowl though and most likely would have won.

We would have been 11-1 with Mullen. I mean we were 8-4 without him and our losses were to him, a BAD LSU offense, Kentucky who he owned, and Bama. I still think we lose to Bama but 11-1 with an outside shot at the playoffs. I think we all would have taken it.

PMDawg
11-08-2023, 10:03 AM

The thing with Mullen, if he comes back to CFB (whether here or elsewhere), is that he needs to recreate himself. He has to separate himself from Hev and some of the others that helped create that toxic environment at UF. He has to get away from the country club gang, hire a real DC and LET THEM DO THEIR JOB so he can retain them for more than a year at a time, and ensure that he is the alpha on the staff at all times. Take control of the program and run it HIS way. Create a winning culture, and be more decisive. If he's going to be the CEO again, then he needs to be a dang CEO. He'll have to recruit harder/better. If he's not willing to do these things, then he should try to get on as an NFL OC or just keep his job at ESPN.