PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds Pushing Malzahn

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 09:34 AM
First of all Bo said we are in a coaching search. He didn't say probable search. He said MSU is now searching for a coach. He didn't tease it at all.

However, he is 100% on the Malzahn train and thinks it would be a home run hire for us. Yes, Gus would be better than what we have by a mile but if it comes down to Gus Malzahn I feel like some really good candidates told us NO.

RezDog7
11-07-2023, 09:40 AM
I told him he was an idiot.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-07-2023, 09:48 AM
I?m not excited about Malzhan.

sandjunky
11-07-2023, 10:00 AM
If auburn can resurrect freeze go get art briles

defiantdog
11-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Not the same

Homedawg
11-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Whoever we get some portion of the fan base is going to not be thrilled w the hire.

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Malzahn is a less with more coach other than 2013.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Bo said Malzhan? Scratches him off my list. Lol

viverlibre
11-07-2023, 10:06 AM

You can let that go.

1. He was accused of covering up rape (I'm not implying he is guilty)
2. He'll be 68 in a few weeks

He will not get another big time job, absolutely no chance of that happening.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Whoever we get some portion of the fan base is going to not be thrilled w the hire.

That is the safest bet you can make besides our best QB is the one on the bench.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 10:08 AM
You can let that go.

He won't get another HC in D1

Coursesuper
11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
That is the safest bet you can make besides our best QB is the one on the bench.

Like death and taxes.

Really Clark?
Like death and taxes.

Absolutely

TrapGame
Bo said Malzhan? Scratches him off my list. Lol

He also said kick the tires on Petrino and Herman but was 100% on the Gus Bus. He thought Kinne was really good but too young and not ready to handle an SEC program.

Randolph Dupree
11-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Malzahn is the ultimate re-tread hire. If we hire him, we might get a good year or two but we aren't serious about football. You have to draft/hire based on performance and potential. Gus is done, just banking for retirement now.

Johnson85
11-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Malzahn is a less with more coach other than 2013.

I don't know. I think Malzahn's problems at Auburn were largely Auburn issues. There's really no reason for Auburn to be good except for a rabid fan base and being in a good recruiting grounds. Their little brother syndrome with Alabama means they will pay up for the players, but they also deal with volatile locker rooms because they are constantly loading up on guys that are all about the highest bidder, which used to come with more character problems on average, although probably not as much with NIL.

Not that I think Malzahn is a great coach. But I think he's a good coach and if he had been at somewhere like MSU instead of Auburn, he probably would have been less volatile. Probably lower highs, but more consistent and without the feeling that he's about to lose control most of the time.

Santiago
11-07-2023, 10:23 AM
I saw a X/twitter clip of Bo talking to Lugenbill, and Bo could not even pronounce some of our coaching candidate names correctly.
I guess Malzahn is just a name he can say correctly and he is running with it.

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Ultimate retread that scares none of our opponents. We have to get guys on the way up (ex: Mullen) not on the way down.

Get someone that's exciting and the NIL will increase significantly in my opinion.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 10:28 AM
I always thought Malzahn would do good here. His offense fits our recruiting footprint. He's certainly not my top choice, but he would do a good job here. He out coached Saban almost half the time they played. He beat him a lot back then.

sandjunky
11-07-2023, 10:29 AM
Not the same

You can let that go.

Not saying I want just go get the best coach - this ain?t intramurals brother

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 10:29 AM
I don't know. I think Malzahn's problems at Auburn were largely Auburn issues. There's really no reason for Auburn to be good except for a rabid fan base and being in a good recruiting grounds. Their little brother syndrome with Alabama means they will pay up for the players, but they also deal with volatile locker rooms because they are constantly loading up on guys that are all about the highest bidder, which used to come with more character problems on average, although probably not as much with NIL.

Not that I think Malzahn is a great coach. But I think he's a good coach and if he had been at somewhere like MSU instead of Auburn, he probably would have been less volatile. Probably lower highs, but more consistent and without the feeling that he's about to lose control most of the time.

Maybe so on Auburn unique issues but look at recruiting rankings. Dabo won 2 Nattys with lower average recruiting. Or at very least the very same level.

Malzahn with much better recruiting produced about same number of wins as Mullen did.

If Bo's boy Bartoo thinks Malzahn is good then his algorithm isn't based on recruiting like he says it's is.

GoDawgz
11-07-2023, 10:32 AM
No re-treads!
State needs a coach that is still young enough to bring energy and excitement but old enough (coaching wisdom) to make smart choices in the staff that he surrounds himself with.
As bad as I will hate to say this, like Kiffin minus the turdness.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 10:33 AM
Ultimate retread that scares none of our opponents. We have to get guys on the way up (ex: Mullen) not on the way down.

Get someone that's exciting and the NIL will increase significantly in my opinion.

Gus is the "safe" hire, in my opinion. It means we don't really give a shit about a winning, forward thinking program. Gus is a perennial 6-6 to 8-4 coach and that's it. 8-4 is the ceiling with Gus.

msstate7
11-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Maybe Bo actually knows something, but I think he chose gus as his talking point today bc it did this - got us talking about Bo.

Randolph Dupree
11-07-2023, 10:36 AM
No re-treads!
State needs a coach that is still young enough to bring energy and excitement but old enough (coaching wisdom) to make smart choices in the staff that he surrounds himself with.
As bad as I will hate to say this, like Kiffin minus the turdness.

Agree. At least someone like Herman that likely still has some fire and something to prove. Hell, even Mullen might be pissed a still want to prove something (not saying I'm on board with this). At least get someone that has something to coach for other than a pay check.

Randolph Dupree
11-07-2023, 10:37 AM
Gus is the "safe" hire, in my opinion. It means we don't really give a shit about a winning, forward thinking program. Gus is a perennial 6-6 to 8-4 coach and that's it. 8-4 is the ceiling with Gus.

Bingo

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Maybe Bo actually knows something, but I think he chose gus as his talking point today bc it did this - got us talking about Bo.

Absolutely. I don't think he has a clue, and I don't think it will be Gus. Just enjoying the discussion.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 10:38 AM

Yep. We could do a lot worse, and we could do a lot better.

BankerDog
11-07-2023, 10:40 AM

I?m personally a fan of the ?freshmen is better than anything we?ve ever had? line

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 10:43 AM
For those that don't know Gus is next to last in the Big 12 with a 1-5 record in conference and 4-5 record overall. This is his 3rd season at UCF. We're not hiring Gus (but as others have said it's at least fun to have these conversations).

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 10:51 AM
For those that don't know Gus is next to last in the Big 12 with a 1-5 record in conference and 4-5 record overall. This is his 3rd season at UCF. We're not hiring Gus (but as others have said it's at least fun to have these conversations).
Yeah, I would be very surprised and somewhat disappointed if we hired him. He'd be a lot better than what we have now, but getting to 8-4 would be about all we could ever hope for.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 10:51 AM

Then I wish he would have chosen a better coach to bloviate about.

I think Selmon is looking for younger up and coming coaches w/ head coaching experience. I would be shocked if we didn't go after Tom Herman like a love struck teenage girl. I just a feeling he's the #1 guy on Selmon's list. Just a hunch.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I would be very surprised and somewhat disappointed if we hired him. He'd be a lot better than what we have now, but getting to 8-4 would be about all we could ever hope for.

Depending on our schedule we'd probably start 4-0 or 5-0 and be in the top #20 but by the end of the season we're 8-4 and maybe #24/#25, if that. Not bad considering but we can do better.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 10:57 AM
Oh, let's not ignore the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.

Gus wants the Arkansas job. He knows Pittman's seat is getting pretty damn hot. If Arkansas keeps Pittman another year he will wait it out. If Arkansas fires Pittman then Gus is going after the job. We will be his backup plan for sure.

MagicDawg
11-07-2023, 10:59 AM

This is so important it deserved to be restated.

Mjoelner34
11-07-2023, 11:00 AM
I'd rather have Mullen and I don't want Mullen.

FISHDAWG
11-07-2023, 11:09 AM

I agree he's the safe hire and may be a perennial bowl qualifier but he also has a national championship ring as an Offensive Coordinator and another ring as a head coach when he has some decent talent to work with.... from my seat that shows he's at least or above on par with Mullen

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 11:11 AM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/AobQDNI4K7a4U/giphy.gif

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 11:12 AM
I agree he's the safe hire and may be a perennial bowl qualifier but he also has a national championship ring as an Offensive Coordinator and as a head coach when he has some decent talent to work with.... from my seat that shows he's at least or above on par with Mullen

Played once in title game as HC ... No ring. Annual top 10 recruiter and outside of his first year in 2013, Mullen out performed him.

KOdawg1
11-07-2023, 11:16 AM
If you're gonna hire Gus, you might as well hmhire Mullen.

And we shouldn't hire either one of them

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 11:17 AM
Honestly, if we are going retread I'd rather have Petrino. He is the only thing keeping Jimbo's job right now. Jimbo is a dipshit of a coach.

FISHDAWG
11-07-2023, 11:17 AM

I doubt Saban himself would do any better at State ... even a YOUNG Saban

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 11:20 AM
I can't stand Freeze and I could be wrong but I think Freeze will kill it at AU as a top 10 recruiter. We'll have a hard time beating him.

FISHDAWG
11-07-2023, 11:25 AM
Played once in title game as HC ... No ring. Annual top 10 recruiter and outside of his first year in 2013, Mullen out performed him.

Brain fart caused me to think he won that game as a head coach or maybe my aging memory.... but he did win the SEC and got his team to the championship game... also has a winning record against Saban.... Mullen never accomplished either

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 11:26 AM

Mullen could have done better. With a little more effort he could have won 9 games a few more times than he did.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 11:28 AM
I?m personally a fan of the ?freshmen is better than anything we?ve ever had? line

True true

Jacknut
11-07-2023, 11:37 AM
He's having a tough first year in the BIG 12, but he's averaged over 8 wins a year as head coach. Not saying I endorse him, but that record would go over well here.

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Brain fart caused me to think he won that game as a head coach or maybe my aging memory.... but he did win the SEC and got his team to the championship game... also has a winning record against Saban.... Mullen never accomplished either

Won SEC once and SECW twice. Beat Saban 3 out of 8 times so yea, not winning record but not bad either.

But he's good at losing games he's supposed to win too.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Like others have said. Gus is the safe hire. We know what we are getting. He will sprinkle in a 10 win season once every 3-4 years. We could do better but could also do worse. I still think it is going to come from the group of Herman, Kinne, Lashlee, Fritz, and Helton.

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2023, 12:08 PM
Like others have said. Gus is the safe hire. We know what we are getting. He will sprinkle in a 10 win season once every 3-4 years. We could do better but could also do worse. I still think it is going to come from the group of Herman, Kinne, Lashlee, Fritz, and Helton.

But after all the BS and chaos in our program since 2018 - shouldn't we be encouraging a safe hire?

RezDog7
11-07-2023, 12:09 PM
Honestly, if we are going retread I'd rather have Petrino. He is the only thing keeping Jimbo's job right now. Jimbo is a dipshit of a coach.

Cmon man, petrino is worse than Gus. Just close the program down and make DWS a parking lot.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2023, 12:13 PM
Bo said Malzahn name to gauge public interest, is my guess.

We could do worse and have. So I'm all for the Gus Bus if that's our best applicant so far.

Mullen will have zero interest in the Mississippi State job. Zero.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Cmon man, petrino is worse than Gus. Just close the program down and make DWS a parking lot.

Sorry Rez, I disagree. But it's just my opinion on retreads. Hell, we may wind up with Rich Rod as far as that goes.

I see the allure of the safe hire. Gus Malzahn with Derek Mason as DC/Co HC and we might be on to something for a few years.

msugolf
11-07-2023, 12:16 PM

You can add Jeff Traylor off USTA to the list. He should be candidate number one anyways

KB21
11-07-2023, 12:26 PM
So, those that are proponents of Gus Malzahn either don't want Mississippi State to ever be a destination for QBs or don't believe we can be a QB school. Because Gus has no idea about developing QBs.

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 12:28 PM

I made a post saying we should strive for a 12 team playoff every 8 years (reasonable in my opionion since we are a top 30 program). A few Arnett people mocked me saying that was impossible. But if Gus could get us to 10 wins every 4 years we would absolutley be in the playoff picture in those years.

Not saying he can but I like your optimism and not the poor ole M State routine like some others.

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 12:38 PM

Maybe true but would be interesting to see what Saban might have done with the 14-15 teams as well as 18. We had some elite talent on both sides of ball.

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 12:40 PM
I made a post saying we should strive for a 12 team playoff every 8 years (reasonable in my opionion since we are a top 30 program). A few Arnett people mocked me saying that was impossible. But if Gus could get us to 10 wins every 4 years we would absolutley be in the playoff picture in those years.

Not saying he can but I like your optimism and not the poor ole M State routine like some others.

Making the playoffs every 4-8 years is a possible target for us. Beyond that would take a lot of stars aligning but that is OK.

Quaoarsking
11-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Any coach who can usually get us 8 wins, but to 10 every 4 years, is someone we should obviously hire and love.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 12:43 PM
Y'all are insane.
Gus would be a tremendous hire if we could get him.

Y'all don't want a "retread" but want Tom Herman!? Herman was worse at texas than Gus was at auburn, despite Texas being the only top 10 recruiter in their conference. There was only one other top 30 recruiter in Oklahoma. Holy crap.
Herman never played a conference game where he wasn't the better recruiter. Ever. Gus played uga, lsu, and Bama every year. And the entire west was top 30 recruiters.

Gus had to play uga as his East permanent every year and compete with an in state rival with the best coach in college football history. He won the west twice in eight years and His regular season records were:
11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3
6-4 in Covid year vs all SEC teams

He also knows how to run a program and is familiar with our recruiting footprint. He will have a dual threat QB which we want. He is struggling at ucf this year because it's their first year in the Big12 with a G5 roster.

And LOL at the "he would sprinkle in a 10 win season every 3-4 years" as if that's not enough. Holy crap. We've done that once ever. Yes please, sign me up now if that is the case.

I would absolutely support a Gus hire, though I doubt he would take the job (even though he only makes 2.3 million now).

preachermatt83
11-07-2023, 12:44 PM
He had a good year last year. How?s he doing this year?

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 12:47 PM
Gus is a proven hire and on paper as good a retred as Freeze or Kiffin. He has accomplished more than Kiffin. Having some positive energy is worth a lot these days and we could do a lot worse. We don't need another young, first time HC trial and error. We have no room for margin on this hire with super conference coming and everything else. Act like a big dawg to run with the big dogs.

PMDawg
11-07-2023, 12:47 PM

He's past his prime. Been average at best since the motorcycle incident.

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 12:48 PM
Y'all are insane.

Y'all don't want a "retread" but want Tom Herman!? Herman was worse at texas than Gus was at auburn, despite Texas being the only top 10 recruiter in their conference. There was only one other top 30 recruiter in Oklahoma. Holy crap.
Herman never played a conference game where he wasn't the better recruiter. Ever. Gus played uga, lsu, and Bama every year. And the entire west was top 30 recruiters.

Gus had to play uga as his East permanent every year and compete with an in state rival with the best coach in college football history. He won the west twice in eight years and His regular season records were:
11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

He also knows how to run a program and is familiar with our recruiting footprint. He will have a dual threat QB which we want. He is struggling at ucf this year because it's their first year in the Big12 with a G5 roster.

And LOL at the "he would sprinkle in a 10 win season every 3-4 years" as if that's not enough. Holy crap. We've done that once ever. Yes please, sign me up now if that is the case.

I would absolutely support a Gus hire, though I doubt he would take the job (even though he only makes 2.3 million now).

Good post and i agree.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Y'all are insane.

11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

He makes $4 MIL this year and $5 MIL next year. His buyout after this season is around $15 MIL

KB21
11-07-2023, 12:58 PM
Y'all are insane.

11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

We will never develop a QB ever again if we hire Malzahn. See Bo Nix under Malzahn and Bo Nix at Oregon.

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 01:03 PM
Y'all are insane.

11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

Good analysis and points. I might be alright with him. However, I do think if he did well here he'd be out the door as quick as Mullen was.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 01:04 PM
He makes $4 MIL this year and $5 MIL next year. His buyout after this season is around $15 MIL

Then Wikipedia needs to update, lol

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 01:04 PM
We will never develop a QB ever again if we hire Malzahn. See Bo Nix under Malzahn and Bo Nix at Oregon.

I get that, but I want to win games a lot more than I care about developing QB's. He's still not my top choice but I could support the hire because I always loved his offense and he was so much better at play calling than Mullen.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 01:05 PM
Good analysis and points. I might be alright with him. However, I do think if he did well here he'd be out the door as quick as Mullen was.

So he would stay 9 years? I'm good with that.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 01:05 PM

QB get better from year 2 to year 4/5 all the time.
I'm not saying he's a QB guru mind you. But his resume is good. Much better than Herman.

KB21
11-07-2023, 01:09 PM
QB get better from year 2 to year 5 all the time.
I'm not saying he's a QB guru mind you.

Malzahn's QB recruits at Auburn:
2013 - Jeremy Johnson
2013 - Nick Marshall
2014 - Sean White
2015 - Tyler Queen
2016 - Woody Barrett
2016 - John Franklin III
2017 - Jarrett Stidham
2017 - Malik Willis
2018 - Joey Gatewood
2018 - Cord Sandberg
2019 - Bo Nix

confucius say
11-07-2023, 01:32 PM
2013 - Jeremy Johnson
2013 - Nick Marshall
2014 - Sean White
2015 - Tyler Queen
2016 - Woody Barrett
2016 - John Franklin III
2017 - Jarrett Stidham
2017 - Malik Willis
2018 - Joey Gatewood
2018 - Cord Sandberg
2019 - Bo Nix

What's your point? That he won despite not being talented at QB?

KB21
11-07-2023, 01:35 PM
What's your point? That he won despite not being talented at QB?

You have to have a good QB or a system that is QB friendly to win in college football today. You aren't going to win by running the ball all the time and hoping you hit on a post wheel every now and then.

RiverCityDawg
11-07-2023, 01:35 PM
2013 - Jeremy Johnson
2013 - Nick Marshall
2014 - Sean White
2015 - Tyler Queen
2016 - Woody Barrett
2016 - John Franklin III
2017 - Jarrett Stidham
2017 - Malik Willis
2018 - Joey Gatewood
2018 - Cord Sandberg
2019 - Bo Nix

To sum it up: The only two HS QBs he signed that were any good ended up transferring and were instantly improved for having done so.

KB21
11-07-2023, 01:36 PM
To sum it up: The only two HS QBs he signed that were any good ended up transferring and were instantly improved for having done so.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/duM6JZemPlOjUyqmxd/giphy.gif

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 01:38 PM
Y'all are insane.

11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

Okay, I'm listening. You have my attention. Not as bad as I thought.

Would not be the worst hire but I think Gus wants the Arkansas job.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2023, 01:43 PM
Malzahn has a high buyout and we aren't hiring his ass. I suspect he retires at UCF if he doesn't get fired. Move along on this one. You guys aren't thinking big enough or young enough.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 01:43 PM
You have to have a good QB or a system that is QB friendly to win in college football today. You aren't going to win by running the ball all the time and hoping you hit on a post wheel every now and then.

You don't think the system is qb friendly? Good gracious. Nick Marshall was a heisman candidate in it. It's the same thing freeze runs.

confucius say
11-07-2023, 01:47 PM
Malzahn has a high buyout and we aren't hiring his ass. I suspect he retires at UCF if he doesn't get fired. Move along on this one. You guys aren't thinking big enough or young enough.

I agree we won't be able to hire him.
But not sure what you mean by big. You won't hire anybody with his quality resume as a head coach.

Im also not tied to young. Leipold is 59 and everybody on here would take him. Arnett is 37 and nobody on here wants him.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 01:55 PM

Sounds like some things are already moving behind the scenes. Is this person you are alluding to a current head coach somewhere?

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Sounds like some things are already moving behind the scenes. Is this person you are alluding to a current head coach somewhere?

That's the majority of who we are targeting right now. Current HC's

confucius say
11-07-2023, 02:01 PM

I think that's smart. We need somebody who has proven they can run a program. Not just call plays.

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 02:08 PM
Y'all are insane.

11-1
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5
9-3

I'm open to arguments (pros and cons) for any coach. Gives us something to do for the next few weeks.

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2023, 02:15 PM

You are comparing Freshman and Sophomore Bo Nix to 4th and 5th year Senior Bo Nix. That's just ridiculous.
Bo Nix as a TRUE FRESHMAN took the reigns at Auburn and led them to a 9 win regular season, beat #11 Oregon in his first start and beat #5 Bama.
Nix didn't leave Auburn until spending a year regressing under a terrible Harsin staff and team.
Take Bo's 3 years at AU and compare him to our line of elite QB's at MSU - and he's be #3 in passing yards, TD's, and Rating behind Dak and Will.

Now - Malzhan did have some dud QB's. But a major issue was the press and AU crazies pumping every AU QB as "the next CAM" and a Heisman candidate.

I'd take Gus and be OK with it.

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2023, 02:17 PM

Quick - someone make a list of fat, young football coaches ****

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 02:17 PM

Nice.

Todd4State
11-07-2023, 02:18 PM
He also said kick the tires on Petrino and Herman but was 100% on the Gus Bus. He thought Kinne was really good but too young and not ready to handle an SEC program.

He also thought that Barbay was better than Leach.

Which means we should hire Kinne.

Todd4State
11-07-2023, 02:20 PM
Maybe so on Auburn unique issues but look at recruiting rankings. Dabo won 2 Nattys with lower average recruiting. Or at very least the very same level.

Malzahn with much better recruiting produced about same number of wins as Mullen did.

If Bo's boy Bartoo thinks Malzahn is good then his algorithm isn't based on recruiting like he says it's is.

I think Bartoo is full of shit.

His algorithm said this current staff was better than Leach's too.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 02:22 PM

Lebby is pretty fluffy***

RezDog7
11-07-2023, 02:22 PM
Sorry Rez, I disagree. But it's just my opinion on retreads. Hell, we may wind up with Rich Rod as far as that goes.

I see the allure of the safe hire. Gus Malzahn with Derek Mason as DC/Co HC and we might be on to something for a few years.

I would take that over petrino

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 02:26 PM
I would take that over petrino

After some thinking I would too.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2023, 02:30 PM

Alright, but I'll need a fish sandwich and shade tree under which to ponder.

dawgday166
11-07-2023, 02:36 PM

Bo and C34 are "y'all lifestyle" buds. You can tell by C34 Sunday writeups.

They oughta include Rosie. They all pushing propaganda now.

And Bartoo is full of shit.

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 02:39 PM

I got fat but not young

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/805/147/11a43f35c56167040dc0de8c5baa6dbb_crop_north.jpg?13 95096334&w=3072&h=2048

preachermatt83
11-07-2023, 02:51 PM
My number one choice would be P J Fleck.

TrapGame
11-07-2023, 03:05 PM
And I almost forgot b/c I'm old but Bo said we don't want Chadwell b/c his offense wouldn't work in the SEC. We couldn't recruit the talent needed to make his offense work in our league.

I don't know about that.

KB21
11-07-2023, 03:23 PM
And I almost forgot b/c I'm old but Bo said we don't want Chadwell b/c his offense wouldn't work in the SEC. We couldn't recruit the talent needed to make his offense work in our league.

I don't know about that.

Chadwell has an offense that doesn't require you to out-talent your opponent. It's built upon misdirection and confusion for the opposition.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 03:29 PM

I don't know about that.

His offense will be hard to implement solely because his offense requires that you win the LOS. It would require us to completely revamp our line.

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 03:40 PM
His offense will be hard to implement solely because his offense requires that you win the LOS. It would require us to completely revamp our line.

We would have to retool some but his OL scheme is built around undersized and / or lesser talented lineman being effective at the LOS.

Turfdawg67
11-07-2023, 05:36 PM

If you kick the tires on Petrino, even though his 2nd act is a shell of the 1st, you have to make it incentive based. Can't hire a guy his age to come in and make $5MM/yr to just phone it in for 3 years. $2.5MM/yr + heavy incentives for bowl game, total wins, SEC Championship, etc...

gtowndawg
11-07-2023, 05:39 PM
If you kick the tires on Petrino, even though his 2nd act is a shell of the 1st, you have to make it incentive based. Can't hire a guy his age to come in and make $5MM/yr to just phone it in for 3 years. $2.5MM/yr + heavy incentives for bowl game, total wins, SEC Championship, etc...

I'm pretty open minded but I don't see any reason (or upside) with Petrino. It's been a decade since he's done anything that really matters. Lot's of others I would be more interested in.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty open minded but I don't see any reason (or upside) with Petrino. It's been a decade since he's done anything that really matters. Lot's of others I would be more interested in.

He was a 2 yr run with Lamar Jackson from being at or below average in his second tenure at Louisville. And honestly, we are an incredibly dumb and idiotic frat boy away from Lamar being a Dawg.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 05:48 PM

Yeah. I'm not interested in Petrino.

Turfdawg67
11-07-2023, 05:52 PM

You make it sound like any coach can come in here and win 7-8 consistently and even have a 10 win season occasionally... this has almost never been the case in our illustrious 100+ year history.

Turfdawg67
11-07-2023, 05:54 PM
He was a 2 yr run with Lamar Jackson from being at or below average in his second tenure at Louisville. And honestly, we are an incredibly dumb and idiotic frat boy away from Lamar being a Dawg.

Probably would have ridden the bench due to a more experienced upper classman on the roster...

Really Clark?
11-07-2023, 05:55 PM
If we end up with Petrino from where our search has started, our coaching search has failed.

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 05:57 PM
You make it sound like any coach can come in here and win 7-8 consistently and even have a 10 win season occasionally... this has almost never been the case in our illustrious 100+ year history.

Well hell, why did I not think about that? I mean lets just go find the guy that is an absolute guarantee to do that. If you know where he is you may want to get Selmon on the phone.

Gus had 8 seasons at Auburn. He won at least 7 every year and had two seasons of 10+ wins. Which averages out to a 10+ win season every four years. I am just using the data that is available. The guy has done it in this conference for 8 years so there is not some unknown if he can actually do it in this conference. I have never advocated for hiring him. I do think he needs an interview and I damn sure know we could do worse.

Turfdawg67
11-07-2023, 06:04 PM
Well hell, why did I not think about that? I mean lets just go find the guy that is an absolute guarantee to do that. If you know where he is you may want to get Selmon on the phone.

Gus had 8 seasons at Auburn. He won at least 7 every year and had two seasons of 10+ wins. Which averages out to a 10+ win season every four years. I am just using the data that is available. The guy has done it in this conference for 8 years so there is not some unknown if he can actually do it in this conference. I have never advocated for hiring him. I do think he needs an interview and I damn sure know we could do worse.

I think one of us misunderstood... I'd be ecstatic with 7-8 wins/yr, an occasional 10 win season and maybe a playoff shot every now and again. Maybe that's po ole mittitti state, but it's better than most of the seasons I've lived through.

Coursesuper
11-07-2023, 06:09 PM
If we end up with Petrino with from where our search has started, our coaching search has failed.

Amen

CoachT14
11-07-2023, 06:36 PM
You don't think the system is qb friendly? Good gracious. Nick Marshall was a heisman candidate in it. It's the same thing freeze runs.

Freeze does not run the Malzahn offense.

CoachT14
11-07-2023, 06:40 PM

Bartoo was as recent as 3 weeks ago claiming there?s no way we should fire Arnett. I?m out on him. He acted like Barbay was this all time gifted play caller. Too bad he ignored the factor that Shawn Clark and Jim McElwain were basically pushing the bike for him.

DEDawg
11-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Would really like Malzahn. Happy with Herman too

Homedawg
11-07-2023, 06:59 PM

If you kick tires on Petrino you've run out of reasonable options.

Homedawg
11-07-2023, 07:00 PM

Now, that's a sensible post. Some not gonna like it. But it's true. We've been in the final 12 in the ranking once in the last well way before my lifetime...... once.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2023, 07:13 PM
Id take Malzahn today. Ask Auburn if they have regretted it

KB21
11-07-2023, 07:14 PM
Now, that's a sensible post. Some not gonna like it. But it's true. We've been in the final 12 in the ranking once in the last well way before my lifetime...... once.

Well, I guess we should just give up and accept having a meathead for a head coach then.

Homedawg
11-07-2023, 07:43 PM
Where did I say that?? Such a douche. While we will have a new coach next year I'd rather have a him as a head coach than a ********** like you as my doctor

StarkVegasSteve
11-07-2023, 08:32 PM
I think one of us misunderstood... I'd be ecstatic with 7-8 wins/yr, an occasional 10 win season and maybe a playoff shot every now and again. Maybe that's po ole mittitti state, but it's better than most of the seasons I've lived through.

Yep that was me that misunderstood.

sandjunky
11-07-2023, 08:52 PM
Where did I say that?? Such a douche. While we will have a new coach next year I'd rather have a him as a head coach than a ********** like you as my doctor

I laughed

Cooterpoot
11-07-2023, 09:13 PM
Malzahn has no interest in our job or really any other.
That Orlando area has pull.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2023, 09:13 PM
If you kick tires on Petrino you've run out of reasonable options.

Absolutely

OurState
11-07-2023, 09:20 PM

You have the sequencing wrong.

That is like a fat girl saying if a great guy asked me out I would lose weight.

BigDawg81
11-07-2023, 09:25 PM
That Orlando area has pull. Who are the realistic candidates that have returned interest?

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2023, 09:29 PM
If you can get Malzahn you take it. He would win

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2023, 10:14 PM

We forget that sometimes. Going to be interesting to see what UCF does in the B12.
They are huge - 68,000+ students - and in an area with a ton of money. And they want to outdo UF and FSU.

Bdawg
11-07-2023, 10:18 PM

Man a 10 win season every 3-4 years blows our history out of the water. I?m not endorsing him but I would take those results in a heartbeat.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2023, 10:23 PM
What about that guy that went to Nebraska or whatever that really sucked up there, Frost? Wasn?t he the hottest shit ever before he took that terrible job?

sandjunky
11-08-2023, 07:03 AM

And I?m sure the Starkville waffle houses don?t compare to the Orlando area waffle houses

Pancho
11-08-2023, 07:37 AM
Gosh and he might bring Plumlee with him********

viverlibre
11-08-2023, 08:01 AM
Who are the realistic candidates that have returned interest?

No coach can show interest in the season. Communications between agents and whoever on our side is gauging interest will be kept confidential until it's time to make the hire (meaning Arnett is fired).

TrapGame
11-08-2023, 09:17 AM
No coach can show interest in the season. Communications between agents and whoever on our side is gauging interest will be kept confidential until it's time to make the hire (meaning Arnett is fired).

Yep, right now it's all message board conjecture. There might be some national guys dropping some nuggets Thanksgiving week but right now it's all double secret probation.

Bubb Rubb
11-08-2023, 11:44 AM

Us hiring Malzahn would be like Ole Miss hiring Nutt. A couple of good seasons, a couple of underachieving seasons, and then the floor falls out. We can do better.

BigDawg81
11-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Is there a difference between Mullen and Malzahn? It?s not that much.

Really Clark?
11-08-2023, 12:21 PM

The closest apples to apples comparison would be Dan at Florida, he won 69% of his games and Malzhan at Auburn won 66% of his games

PGHBulldogBG
11-08-2023, 12:43 PM
We need another Mullen. An up and coming coach that will bring fire and excite the fanbase. The more we excite the fanbase, the better opportunity we have for NIL which will steer recruiting. The post COVID era of college football is extremely different and I?m not sure many retread coaches will buy into that.

R2Dawg
11-08-2023, 01:21 PM
We need another Mullen. An up and coming coach that will bring fire and excite the fanbase. The more we excite the fanbase, the better opportunity we have for NIL which will steer recruiting. The post COVID era of college football is extremely different and I?m not sure many retread coaches will buy into that.

I hear you about excitement but here is the problem with that. Excitement only last about 5 games if you don't win. We need someone to win and then organic excitement will come and last. I don't care who it is - new guy or retred. Just win. I'm tired of try this guy - everybody get all wooly to have it gone in 2 months.

confucius say
11-08-2023, 01:31 PM
Well, I guess we should just give up and accept having a meathead for a head coach then.

So you equate meathead to someone who wants to be able to run the ball? Like kiffin? Saban? Smart? Freeze?

DownwardDawg
11-08-2023, 01:39 PM

Malzahn is a better play caller and has zero fear of Saban. Mullen did more with less.

HancockCountyDog
11-08-2023, 02:05 PM
If Fritz could bring Pratt with him, does that change the narrative with him?

Bubb Rubb
11-08-2023, 02:11 PM

Not for me. I think we need to be thinking bigger picture than that.

Really Clark?
11-08-2023, 02:13 PM

I don't see us paying that price tag for Pratt.

HancockCountyDog
11-08-2023, 02:36 PM
Not for me. I think we need to be thinking bigger picture than that.

I think Fritz would be a stablizing HC and with a QB like Pratt maybe next year isn't such a disaster. A really good QB can mask a lot of roster problems. We will have a bunch of roster problems.

Bothrops
11-09-2023, 02:56 PM
Gus would be a safe hire, but it would be a more expensive route than we'd want go and the fanbase wouldn't be excited about it. But it's a 6-8 win guy and that's as much as we can ask.

viverlibre
11-09-2023, 03:02 PM
Us hiring Malzahn would be like Ole Miss hiring Nutt. A couple of good seasons, a couple of underachieving seasons, and then the floor falls out. We can do better.

Gus never really collapsed at the barn and he was dealing with crazy/meddling boosters like nothing we could imagine. Plus he had the Gumps working against him in every conceivable way (that'd be 100x worse than OM working against us), plus he had to play UGA every year.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 03:19 PM
Gus never really collapsed at the barn and he was dealing with crazy/meddling boosters like nothing we could imagine. Plus he had the Gumps working against him in every conceivable way (that'd be 100x worse than OM working against us), plus he had to play UGA every year.

No way he excites the fan base after this clown show on and off the field. I know and interact with a lot of true State fans and I haven't seen this lack of hope and apathy in many years. Look at nationally known, successful name coaches in the SEC West alone. We need to get off the pocket book, have a nationwide search for HC and show we are a serious player in SEC football! Otherwise, we can continue our descent into fully becoming the vandy of the West and be left out if there is a total realignment of P5 teams in what may be the near future.

TrapGame
11-09-2023, 03:34 PM
Evidently this thread got into Bo's head. He says we are stupid for not wanting Malzhan. Malzahn would be a "home run hire".

Bubb Rubb
11-09-2023, 03:47 PM
Evidently this thread got into Bo's head. He says we are stupid for not wanting Malzhan. Malzahn would be a "home run hire".

Malzahn would be a home run hire for everyone who wants to go 6-6 every year.

Really Clark?
11-09-2023, 03:53 PM
Malzhan is solid but a double at best. Not a HR hire. To be fair, outside of personal opinions which we have in abundance, a true HR hire will be difficult to get. We are not pulling guys like Leipold or Klieman that a larger portion of the fans would consider HR hires.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 03:55 PM
Malzhan is solid but a double at best. Not a HR hire. To be fair, outside of personal opinions which we have in abundance, a true HR hire will be difficult to get. We are not pulling guys like Leipold or Klieman that a larger portion of the fans would consider HR hires.

Don't we have $15 million or so left over from the Hump recreation?*****

BrunswickDawg
11-09-2023, 04:19 PM

He's not a home run, more like an RBI ground rule double. He has more pluses then minuses and could likely give us 5-8 solid years to regain stability after the SloMo/Air Bone/Arnept run of chaos we've had.

Goldendawg
11-09-2023, 04:24 PM
He's not a home run, more like an RBI ground rule double. He has more pluses then minuses and could likely give us 5-8 solid years to regain stability after the SloMo/Air Bone/Arnept run of chaos we've had.

Don't forget Sly "Doom"and his and Woody's Less Coast Offense. "Those who Forget the Mistakes of the Past are Doomed to Repeat Them" is State in football.

PMDawg
11-09-2023, 05:44 PM

Bo Bounds calling anyone stupid is quite humorous.

DLGDawg
11-09-2023, 07:24 PM
Malzahn would be a home run hire for everyone who wants to go 6-6 every year.

My thoughts exactly!!!!