PDA

View Full Version : Davis Wade to host MHSAA Football Championships in 2014

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Not sure if anyone heard this on Head to Head today, but Matt and Richard both said it was pretty much a done deal. The championships will then be in Oxford in 2015 and alternate between the two stadiums with the school that doesn't host the Egg Bowl hosting the MHSAA games.

They also said that USM would likely alternate with Mobile as the host of the MS/AL all star game.

My thoughts on both:

1. I think it's great that Davis Wade and Vaught Hemingway will be hosting the state championships. I'm sure some South MS schools will complain because the North MS schools should always have the crowd advantage, but I'm sure the kids themselves would much rather play in an SEC stadium than play in Jackson.

The fact that most of these kids will never get the opportunity to play in an SEC stadium, makes me think that them being able to do that far outweighs the negative comes with the state championship games always being held in North Mississippi. Plus, Meridian and Brandon aren't far drives at all.

2. USM hosting the MS/AL all star game is great as well. It will give MS some hold field advantage every few years, and I'm sure Alabama and Auburn weren't going to let MSU and OM host this game in the same way that MSU and OM would complain if Auburn and Alabama hosted this game.

I think both scenarios are wonderful for the state of Mississippi and will continue to help football progress in the Magnolia state.

curmudgeon
12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
This has been in the works for a while. Glad its happening. Those kids are going to get a great experience in both Starkville and Oxford that Jackson just doesn't give them.

Now they can start working on a restructure of the state basketball tournament, that currently allows a team to lose twice in the state playoffs and win a state championship, so that two JPS teams can play for the title every year.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
This is great news. Ive been wanting this to happen for a while.

Coach 57
12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I'll be there in more than one capacity then. Whoo Hooooo!

SignalToNoise
12-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I think this is awesome news all the way around.

Sure hope Scott doesn't sell out the Commercialtron during those games too.

EnterpriseDawg
12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Heck yeah the coast teams would rather play in MSU/UM's stadium. I remember driving up to Jackson in 02' to watch D'Iberville and thinking what a dump the area and stadium was. Not to mention the safety of all involved.

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 10:02 PM
This sucks for me. The football championships were something I always looked forward too every year, and it was good for the city.

chef dixon
12-04-2013, 10:42 PM
This sucks for me. The football championships were something I always looked forward too every year, and it was good for the city.

I agree. This event should take place in the state capital.

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Heck yeah the coast teams would rather play in MSU/UM's stadium. I remember driving up to Jackson in 02' to watch D'Iberville and thinking what a dump the area and stadium was. Not to mention the safety of all involved.

That area is as safe as the French Quarter, if not safer, but I bet a lot of the people that make this complaint would have no problem partying in NOLA.