PDA

View Full Version : And here come the decommitments

sandjunky
11-06-2023, 10:48 AM
Ah, Zach, you?re the best

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 10:49 AM
It's a complete rebuild starting in December. Like a post Croom rebuild or worse.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 10:50 AM
It's a complete rebuild starting in December. Like a post Croom rebuild or worse.

With the right staff, it will be ok next year!

Right now, I have faith that Selmon will act because his true desire is to be back at OU

KB21
11-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Another reason Zach should have already been fired. You have to give the guys we do have committed a reason to stay committed.

BankerDog
11-06-2023, 10:57 AM
No way?I was told this summer this staff was awesome at recruiting and I was going to look like a fool because they would lock down the state of Mississippi!! Bump, Friend, and Turner doing WORK!!!

I?m sure the story will be we pulled his offer because we are going heavy for Jucos!

Jarius
11-06-2023, 11:00 AM

No it's not. That type of rebuild will never be required again due to the portal. You can literally sign 85 out of the portal every year if you have the room. The days of 3 year rebuilds are gone. Jans knows this and recruits accordingly. So does Kiffin and Prime and many others. That's why it was so stupid to be so caught up in worrying about last year's recruiting class when Leach died. Most of them will leave anyway.

BigDawg81
11-06-2023, 11:00 AM
Arnett is toast. You can?t lose a Starkville guy that has been committed since June. No way Arnett comes back. If Arnett comes back, I?m done cause State doesn?t take football serious.

gtowndawg
11-06-2023, 11:02 AM
Gene34 will blame the decommitments on NIL (no way it has anything to do with the football coaches or how bad we suck).

KOdawg1
11-06-2023, 11:03 AM
Yeah it's over. As if there was any doubt

msstate7
How you expect arnett to keep commitments when it's known he's done? Of all the many reasons to be mad at arnett, this seems the dumbest by far

gtowndawg
With the right staff, it will be ok next year!

Right now, I have faith that Selmon will act because his true desire is to be back at OU

If he doesn't act he will be back at OU...as the associate AD for womens lacrosse.

KB21
11-06-2023, 11:04 AM
Gene34 will blame the decommitments on NIL (no way it has anything to do with the football coaches or how bad we suck).

No. It will be "We pulled his offer after evaluating him further. He's not really as good as his rating" or some shit like that. Same thing they said about Woodland.

CoachT14
11-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Jean34 going to come on here and tell us that Stonka sucks and we dropped his scholly.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 11:07 AM
No way?I was told this summer this staff was awesome at recruiting and I was going to look like a fool because they would lock down the state of Mississippi!! Bump, Friend, and Turner doing WORK!!!

I?m sure the story will be we pulled his offer because we are going heavy for Jucos!

Oh the locked it down! Just for everybody else but MSU!

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 11:08 AM
Jean34 going to come on here and tell us that Stonka sucks and we dropped his scholly.

Yep, and the Jean34ites will be right along with him

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:11 AM
That sucks, he was holding out hope and likes Bump a lot but when hope is gone, so is the player. Maybe the right hire can get him back in but I think that will be a long shot now.

Cooterpoot
11-06-2023, 11:11 AM
Water toting might end today. This is going to create problems for some folks fast.

CoachT14
11-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Water toting might end today. This is going to create problems for some folks fast.

Nah. They better stay committed to their boys.

msstate7
11-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Worrying about holding a class together is how we ended up with arnett. All we should be worried about it getting a competent coach, and if we do that, it will be fine

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 11:16 AM
No it's not. That type of rebuild will never be required again due to the portal. You can literally sign 85 out of the portal every year if you have the room. The days of 3 year rebuilds are gone. Jans knows this and recruits accordingly. So does Kiffin and Prime and many others. That's why it was so stupid to be so caught up in worrying about last year's recruiting class when Leach died. Most of them will leave anyway.
Well, I didn't say it would be a slow 3 year rebuild. I said a complete rebuild and that's what's going to happen. You can sign a portal full of players and that's still a rebuild. I just don't have faith that we can do that.
Maybe the right coach can bring in enough players to win 6 or 7 his first year. Mullen won 5 but damn near won 7.

BankerDog
11-06-2023, 11:17 AM
That sucks, he was holding out hope and likes Bump a lot but when hope is gone, so is the player. Maybe the right hire can get him back in but I think that will be a long shot now.

I appreciate what Bump did here when he played and I think he is an effective recruiter-he got us in game with Caleb Cunningham-but I haven?t been impressed with his WR rotations and some of the lack of ?give a damn? by his WRs. That?s on coaching to figure it out. I was worried about that when we hired him

Cooterpoot
11-06-2023, 11:19 AM
Nah. They better stay committed to their boys.

Oh, I'm talking the school may end it today

Cooterpoot
11-06-2023, 11:20 AM
I appreciate what Bump did here when he played and I think he is an effective recruiter-he got us in game with Caleb Cunningham-but I haven?t been impressed with his WR rotations and some of the lack of ?give a damn? by his WRs. That?s on coaching to figure it out. I was worried about that when we hired him

They weren't happy with the QB situation and being lied to by this sorry ass staff

CoachT14
11-06-2023, 11:20 AM

Talk about the energy to surge back in the program.

BankerDog
11-06-2023, 11:22 AM
They weren't happy with the QB situation and being lied to by this sorry ass staff

I hate Arnett allowed some people with an agenda to ruin his one chance this way. We had too many hands in the pickle jar trying to have some control. I think you saw it with our portal class, in terms of recruiting, with some of the guys they brought it. ?Oh we recruited him out of HS and he was a 4* we have to him.? How much money you think we have tied up between Keys, Rogers, Jones, and Spivey??

CoachT14

You have to wonder how much control if any Bump has with that. There's been some rumors that Friend/Schmidt have a ton of offensive say so.

BlackSailsDawg

:cool:

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 11:23 AM
Worrying about holding a class together is how we ended up with arnett. All we should be worried about it getting a competent coach, and if we do that, it will be fine

This 100%. The right HC hire will take care of everything.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:23 AM

That is 100% true

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:24 AM
You have to wonder how much control if any Bump has with that. There's been some rumors that Friend/Schmidt have a ton of offensive say so.

Bump has zero say in the offense

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 11:25 AM

Fact.

Santiago
11-06-2023, 11:25 AM

The message to control the fanbase was being put out yesterday on NIL , to prepare for the decommits.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2023, 11:26 AM

You better not be screwing around with our hearts with that.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2023, 11:26 AM
You should never make a coaching hire over keeping a recruiting class together in this new portal world. Just makes zero sense.

Also, I thought Saturday night was bad, losing Stonka just hits me hard. I've been pumped about him for months. Kid is an absolute difference maker at the WR position. We have not signed anyone like him at WR since Moulds. I'm dead serious, he has that type of potential.

Whoever we hire needs to make him priority 1. Which sucks because instead of focusing on other HS kids and portal kids, we now need to re-focus our energy and most likely NIL money to a kid that has been committed for months.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:27 AM

I think some of that is more about players losing faith in the staff more so than Bump. As far as rotations and such, it happens with so many different groups that I'm not sure I can say it's just the positions coaches. Lack of communication or mixed communication I think is a bigger problem.

CoachT14
Bump has zero say in the offense

Which is what I said.

preachermatt83

This! We are rebuilding anyway so who cares. Start all the way over and roll

HoopsDawg
11-06-2023, 11:28 AM

Well, that's true. I think we both said that last year. But our program is spiraling to a depth we haven't seen in a long time.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 11:28 AM

They do

CoachT14
11-06-2023, 11:30 AM
They do

I heard a rumor that Barbay hasn't been calling plays. Would make sense that Friend is getting more influence.

KB21
11-06-2023, 11:31 AM

Yep, and Justin's father said that Bump has ZERO input into the offense.

OhGee
11-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Fire Arnett now to send the message that we are gonna right the ship. Hire the next coach now if our guy, whoever that is, is available. If not, hire him in the off season. Get this hire right and don't let 2023-24 recruiting force a bad quick decision like it did last year.

Jarius
11-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Well, I didn't say it would be a slow 3 year rebuild. I said a complete rebuild and that's what's going to happen. You can sign a portal full of players and that's still a rebuild. I just don't have faith that we can do that.
Maybe the right coach can bring in enough players to win 6 or 7 his first year. Mullen won 5 but damn near won 7.

If we hire the right coach we can be back to where we were under Leach in 2 years. It's just not the same as when Mullen took over. That's why I'm not freaking out.

Offshore Dawg
11-06-2023, 11:46 AM
I mean really did you expect anything different ??

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 11:47 AM

Can we be so fortunate?

KB21
11-06-2023, 11:49 AM
So, we made a rushed decision when we hired Arnett to be the head coach because we feared the recruiting class and team would fall apart if we waited and did a coaching search. Now, we are too afraid to go ahead and pull the plug on Arnett, letting the recruits know that change is coming, and we are going to end up losing the recruiting class because of it.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:00 PM
It is the worst job from president on down that I have ever seen. And I do know that it was not easy it was a tragedy.

But we have done this out of sheer arrogance and pettiness. All of this is because we had a group that hated Leach. They can say whatever they want but it all goes back to that. It was an agenda from day one and they got exactly what they wanted. They were just so incompetent they couldn?t take advantage of it. No one would compare where we are to Leach if we looked like we had a single clue about what we were doing and if the kids were having fun. They are so bad it has caused it to be this way. Congrats fellas

defiantdog
11-06-2023, 12:04 PM
It is the worst job from president on down that I have ever seen. And I do know that it was not easy it was a tragedy.

But we have done this out of sheer arrogance and pettiness. All of this is because we had a group that hated Leach. They can say whatever they want but it all goes back to that. It was an agenda from day one and they got exactly what they wanted. They were just so incompetent they couldn?t take advantage of it. No one would compare where we are to Leach if we looked like we had a single clue about what we were doing and if the kids were having fun. They are so bad it has caused it to be this way. Congrats fellas
Don't think that's the narrative here. Leach died, no one pushed him out. The offense changed because Arnett changed it, not the president.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:06 PM

Not to mention the undisciplined play, penalties, the lack of knowing assignments, wr blocking down field on pass plays where the ball almost hits them in the back, wr running into each other, wr suspensions, and wr quitting in the second half saturday.
He better be a phenomenal recruiter because he can't run a room.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:07 PM
I hate Arnett allowed some people with an agenda to ruin his one chance this way. We had too many hands in the pickle jar trying to have some control. I think you saw it with our portal class, in terms of recruiting, with some of the guys they brought it. ?Oh we recruited him out of HS and he was a 4* we have to him.? How much money you think we have tied up between Keys, Rogers, Jones, and Spivey??

Very little

KB21
11-06-2023, 12:11 PM

Yep. Don't say it out loud though, because they will swear they didn't hate Leach.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:12 PM
Don't think that's the narrative here. Leach died, no one pushed him out. The offense changed because Arnett changed it, not the president.

I understand no one pushed him out. But we definitely pushed his culture and anything else that had to do with him out because a group had a vendetta

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:14 PM

What? Who hated Leach that is also responsible for ZA and his hires? You're saying keenum hated leach?

defiantdog
I understand no one pushed him out. But we definitely pushed his culture and anything else that had to do with him out because a group had a vendetta
His culture wasn't pushed out based on a vendetta. The new coach is just clueless and doesn't know how run a program. But our admin being quiet doesn't help anything.

confucius say

Who had a vendetta?

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:16 PM
Who had a vendetta?

The folks that Keenum hired. Not Keenum himself. Arnett was led astray by some false prophets to put it Biblically.

Keenum hires Arnett because we were so lazy and complacent , Arnett needs guidance and hires the false prophets and here we are.

sandjunky
11-06-2023, 12:16 PM
What? Who hated Leach that is also responsible for and his hires? You're saying keenum hated leach?

I think he is saying that once leach died folks who had influence and didn?t like the airbone pushed a guy that could be easily manipulated with a RTGDF approach

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:17 PM
Who had a vendetta?

No one

Quaoarsking
11-06-2023, 12:17 PM
Who had a vendetta?

Some people think you're "supposed" to win football games by running the ball and that any other way to win the game isn't really legitimate, like not manly or pure enough.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2023, 12:18 PM
I cannot even blame Bumphis on this one. Our offense is Croom level bad and until change is made we will continue to lose recruits.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:18 PM
I think he is saying that once leach died folks who had influence and didn?t like the airbone pushed a guy that could be easily manipulated with a RTGDF approach

Thank you. It is not even about RTGDF. Never was. You can win running whatever you want it?s the other parts that matter

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:20 PM
No one

You are lying to yourself if you think there has not be a concerted effort to push everything about the previous staff out. Find me one picture of Mike Leach or any plaque or anything honoring a win we had with him at DWS or in the Seal Building.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:21 PM
The folks that Keenum hired. Not Keenum himself. Arnett was led astray by some false prophets to put it Biblically.

Keenum hires Arnett because we were so lazy and complacent , Arnett needs guidance and hires the false prophets and here we are.

Who are the "folks that keenum hired" who, as you say, led ZA astray?

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:21 PM
And again, if we had even a little bit of competency no one would be complaining.

They have got to feel like absolute idiots knowing they got what they were after and still couldnt compete

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:22 PM
You are lying to yourself if you think there has not be a concerted effort to push everything about the previous staff out. Find me one picture of Mike Leach or any plaque or anything honoring a win we had with him at DWS or in the Seal Building.

A concerted effort by who?

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:23 PM

Off field staff and our 2 OL coaches are major issues.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:24 PM

He's talking mainly about Brad Peterson

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Off field staff and our 2 OL coaches are major issues.

Keenum didn't hire the coaches

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 12:25 PM

Did BP drive the scorched earth of the Leach regime due to the fact that he was shown the door by the last staff? I don't know if he left on his own or was let go by Leach?

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Keenum didn't hire the coaches

I understand that. But he hired Arnett, who hired the man who hired the coaches.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:33 PM
I understand that. But he hired Arnett, who hired the man who hired the coaches.

So you think Peterson hired Friend and Schmidt (even though ZA and Schmidt coached together) and all 3 hate leach and want everything about leach removed from our program?

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 12:35 PM

Answered my question there.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:38 PM
So you think Peterson hired Friend and Schmidt (even though ZA and Schmidt coached together) and all 3 hate leach and want everything about leach removed from our program?

I will take up for Bucky here, he has never said or thought CZA hated Leach at all. Just lead astray. But I never understood the idea that Friend and Schmidt had hate or any feelings one way or another for CML.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:41 PM
I will take up for Bucky here, he has never said or thought CZA hated Leach at all. Just lead astray. But I never understood the idea that Friend and Schmidt had hate or any feelings one way or another for CML.

They have been about as good for us as diabetes

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah Arnett and Schmidt are besties. Mullen country club to Arnett yacht club

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 12:42 PM

I think what Bucky is referring to is one guy who was given to much control an led a young coach the wrong way. A guy with a personal vendetta for some reason.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:43 PM
They have been about as good for us as diabetes

Granted, we need a big dose of insulin. But they specifically don't hate Leach.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:45 PM
Granted, we need a big dose of insulin. But they specifically don't hated Leach.

No but they hated his way of doing things and were so arrogant and given so much swing that they have divided the locker room and a big reason why we suck

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:46 PM

I was not saying ZA hated leach. By "all 3," I meant Peterson and friend and Schmidt. I understood him to say those 3 hated leach and want everything about leach gone.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:48 PM
No but they hated his way of doing things and were so arrogant and given so much swing that they have divided the locker room and a big reason why we suck

Why do you believe Peterson hated leach?

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:49 PM
I was not saying ZA hated leach. By "all 3," I meant Peterson and friend and Schmidt. I understood him to say those 3 hated leach and want everything about leach gone.

Oh yeah. Gotcha.

I don't get that either...Friend and Schmidt don't hate Leach.

dawgday166
11-06-2023, 12:51 PM

I don't think now that he did either. But I did get the feeling back in Jan thru fall camp that he did cause I picked up on the scorched earth policy related to anything having to do with Leach or the way he did things.

I also know there are all kinds of petty hatreds folks have in all businesses or walks in life. I just thought at the time that it didn't really matter, as long as we stayed on an upward trajectory and improved. However, when I saw replacements for Leach's staff I became skeptical that would be the case. I was hoping I was wrong.

We currently have a HC and 2 coordinators with a combined total of 7 years experience at coordinator positions. Only 3 of those years at P5 conference level. There is no experience to speak of there. FUBAR

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Oh yeah. Gotcha.

Well yeah they have no reason to personally. But they 100 percent have done their best to completely tear down his way of doing things because they wanted to be tuff and were so much better. When literally no one else wanted that. Arnett allowed it

confucius say
11-06-2023, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah. Gotcha.

Agree. I don't think Peterson does either.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Well yeah they have no reason to personally. But they 100 percent have done their best to completely tear down his way of doing things because they wanted to be tuff and were so much better. When literally no one else wanted that. Arnett allowed it

I will agree with the last sentence and what has been his biggest downfall. Arnett has allowed too much to happen without taking control back. I'm most disappointed with that aspect of what's occurred.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 01:01 PM
I will agree with the last sentence and what has been his biggest downfall. Arnett has allowed too much to happen without taking control back. I'm most disappointed with that aspect of what's occurred.

Agreed.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 01:07 PM

Everyone is allowed an opinion

CoachT14
11-06-2023, 01:16 PM

Consider for a second, who left pretty quickly when Leach got a job? This guy had been at State for quite awhile. Then leaves randomly after Leach's first year. That guy might have some ill feelings towards Leach.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 01:23 PM

Did the President not know enough to ask that question? Come on.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 01:26 PM

Well the response to the President may have been the same thing that was said to the public - not changing much.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2023, 01:27 PM
None of those guys hated Leach on a personal level presumably, but I think they fall into the common thought that passing too much is "рussy football" or whatever and real men run the ball between the tackles and physically beat up the other team.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Well the response to the President may have been the same thing that was said to the public - not changing much.

Ok.. so when Arnett caved to HC whisperer, Where was the President to question why he was changing it after he stated he was not?

You see, no matter how we cut it up, It all goes back to those who made the decisions.

Activated Alpha
11-06-2023, 01:32 PM

Which is why I keep saying that he is in over his head. He might be a great HC one day, but it is clear to see he isn't ready just yet. He allowed too many captains/navigators dictate where our ship needed to go. And when that happens you either end up lost at sea or shipwrecked.

bulldawg989
11-06-2023, 01:43 PM
Which is why I keep saying that he is in over his head. He might be a great HC one day, but it is clear to see he isn't ready just yet. He allowed too many captains/navigators dictate where our ship needed to go. And when that happens you either end up lost at sea or shipwrecked.

I don't think he's cut out to be a HC. If he's been lead this far off course, given his football experience (he's played football and coached football long enough to know how things work) he lacks the mental aptitude for the job. There's nothing wrong with being a good coordinator, most of the good ones are well paid, but he knew what he was getting into when accepted the job. The fact that he's let his hires ruin it is all on him, again, he allowed it to happen and did nothing to stop it. He's too damn stupid to do the job.

"You're either coaching it, or allowing it to happen", Mike Leach.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-06-2023, 02:08 PM
None of those guys hated Leach on a personal level presumably, but I think they fall into the common thought that passing too much is "рussy football" or whatever and real men run the ball between the tackles and physically beat up the other team.

This is pretty close.

They did not hate him personally. However, they did hate his football philosophy, odd working hours, etc. A lot didn't think he worked hard because he wouldn't show up to the facility until 1030 or 11. However, a lot of times he was up through all hours of the night. It's just how he was. There was definitely a sect of the coaches that didn't like this. Arnett was one of them. He decided that the air raid was weak and blew up the entire program with it.

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 02:12 PM
Consider for a second, who left pretty quickly when Leach got a job? This guy had been at State for quite awhile. Then leaves randomly after Leach's first year. That guy might have some ill feelings towards Leach.

I mean, I know you gonna say NO WAY, but. Read that as sarcastically as possible.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2023, 02:22 PM
Wish I could decommit

dawgday166
11-06-2023, 02:29 PM
Wish I could decommit

I'm considering Drinkwitz and Mizzou LOL

CaptainObvious
11-06-2023, 02:39 PM

The problem with that is you cannot have 5 pussies on the offensive line??like State does.

Bothrops
11-06-2023, 02:44 PM
We are the St. Anger of football programs.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2023, 02:53 PM
The problem with that is you cannot have 5 pussies on the offensive line??like State does.

What is frustrating is that the OL hasn't played poorly this year. The QB has had time, the problem is that no one is open.

DownwardDawg
Wish I could decommit

Yeah man. My orange vest I wear hunting up here in Tennessee is starting to grow on me..... lol

LC Dawg
I've seen this in other occupations. Someone works for someone for a while and decides all the things the boss is doing wrong and when they get promoted to the job they decide to change all of it immediately. If someone is successful you should focus more on what they are doing right instead of what they are doing wrong. The Air Raid may have made Coach Leach successful but it was far from the only thing. Coach Leach has been coaching a long time so a first year coach could help themselves by observing their former boss's successes even if they did change from his offense. It's obvious the football program is in complete disarray and it's not just because the offense changed. It's a clown show.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 03:10 PM
Ok.. so when Arnett caved to HC whisperer, Where was the President to question why he was changing it after he stated he was not?

You see, no matter how we cut it up, It all goes back to those who made the decisions.

Because the president doesn't do that. That's the AD job.
If he changes it after stating he would not and it doesn't work, you just fire and move on.

defiantdog
11-06-2023, 03:58 PM
lol you're acting like Keenun is Jerry Jones

RezDog7
11-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah Arnett and Schmidt are besties. Mullen country club to Arnett yacht club

They are about to be unemployed club