PDA

View Full Version : Tom Herman

Cowboydawg
11-06-2023, 08:31 AM
I think Tom Herman is the way to go. Despite the narrative otherwise, he has been a successful P5 head coach, has the pedigree, has the confidence/hint of arrogance we need, and has something to prove. Linking an article from an Ohio State perspective of what happened at Texas. It is long so if you don't want to read it....basically his ego did not mesh with the egos of the Texas boosters.

He is an Urban Meyer disciple and he reminds me a lot of Mullen after reading the article. He wants/needs full control of the program to be successful and I think we can give that to him...as long as he is winning. The Texas boosters obviously were not willing to do that which ultimately led to a lot of friction and his downfall. No idea if he will constantly job shop like Mullen did but this is a guy that has coached a blueblood and may not be so quick to go back if he is successful here. And if he does, obviously he would be leaving the program in good shape for the next guy. But I could see some longevity here.

https://www.buckeyesports.com/inside-tom-hermans-unsuccessful-tenure-with-texas/

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 08:35 AM
I read some about him yesterday. He did fine at Texas as far as results. You're right about him not meshing with the egos at Texas. I think he would be the best out of anyone we could get.

basedog
11-06-2023, 08:38 AM
Whoever it will be needs to clean out the "good ole boys" and bring in new life. We need to act and act like we belong in the Sec not some high school conference. Just saying.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 08:45 AM
I want to see the season play out. 4-5 and the UAB loss was not good. Still has Tulane left on the schedule. So looking at a possible 6-6 record. Lane took over a 3 win team and won 11 his first year, used the portal very heavily. FAU was 5-7 the last 2 years under Taggert. 1 game better this year doesn't move the needle much. Maybe he upsets Tulane and perception changes.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2023, 09:00 AM
He's also my #1 (since I don't think Gundy is realistic at all). Had Texas ranked his last 3 years there. He's not perfect, but he's as good as we're going to be able to get.

Cowboydawg
11-06-2023, 09:01 AM
I want to see the season play out. 4-5 and the UAB loss was not good. Still has Tulane left on the schedule. So looking at a possible 6-6 record. Lane took over a 3 win team and won 11 his first year, used the portal very heavily. FAU was 5-7 the last 2 years under Taggert. 1 game better this year doesn't move the needle much. Maybe he upsets Tulane and perception changes.

I'm interested in this as well but not sure how much stock to put into it. Outside of Kiffin, FAU has been really bad. And even Kiffen went 5-7 in year 2. I will definitely be following his last few games though. Would be nice to see him pull off the Tulane upset.

civildawg
11-06-2023, 09:05 AM
Losing to UAB was a really bad loss. He's moved down a few pegs for me

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 09:11 AM

3 point loss loss w/ his second string QB.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 09:17 AM
3 point loss loss w/ his second string QB.

UAB was 2-6 when they played with first year coach in Dilfer.

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 09:30 AM

Shit happens. We beat Arkansas in a 7-3 snoozer. They beat Florida in OT scoring in the 30s.

Cowboydawg
11-06-2023, 09:31 AM

I am in no way trying to spin that into a good loss, but Dilfer inherited a team coming off 6 winning seasons in a row including 3 bowl wins. FAU has 5 winning seasons in the history of their program (20 years) with Kiffen owning 2 of those. FAU is a really really bad program.

ZedFedder
11-06-2023, 09:35 AM
Herman has the ego and brash to go up against Kiffin, too. And yes, that matters because we better get ahead of this Trainwreck before it goes fully off the tracks and they get all the momentum.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 09:44 AM
Shit happens. We beat Arkansas in a 7-3 snoozer. They beat Florida in OT scoring in the 30s.

It does. We won with a back up QB in that game too. I just don't think he has created the momentum many thought he would his first year. With everything that went down, some of it created by himself to the point his on players recruited against him, where is he at being able to run a program? Where is he mentally and does need need more time time to sort himself at FAU? I've watched them 3 different games this year and I don't think he's back yet and he's not winning like he has in the past. I would wait, if he wins out and upsets Tulane, maybe it's turned for him. But I'm not sold today. If I had a choice right now, I would favor Helton and Traylor over Herman.

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Herman has the ego and brash to go up against Kiffin, too. And yes, that matters because we better get ahead of this Trainwreck before it goes fully off the tracks and they get all the momentum.

If we don't try and snatch Herman now ole miss will when Kiffin goes to A&M. Kiffin will be their #1 target and that's from some scuttlebutt on ESPN.

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 09:48 AM
It does. We won with a back up QB in that game too. I just don't think he has created the momentum many thought he would his first year. With everything that went down, some of it created by himself to the point his on players recruited against him, where is he at being able to run a program? Where is he mentally and does need need more time time to sort himself at FAU? I've watched them 3 different games this year and I don't think he's back yet and he's not winning like he has in the past. I would wait, if he wins out and upsets Tulane, maybe it's turned for him. But I'm not sold today. If I had a choice right now, I would favor Helton and Traylor over Herman.

Judging Herman on one game is like judging Saban for losing to ULM his first season at Bama. And we can do better than Helton and Traylor. And yes, Herman is better than both. Sark is proving that Texas at easy. Herman did a hell of job there considering.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 10:07 AM
Judging Herman on one game is like judging Saban for losing to ULM his first season at Bama. And we can do better than Helton and Traylor. And yes, Herman is better than both. Sark is proving that Texas at easy. Herman did a hell of job there considering.

Well I'm not judging him on 1 game, it was a bad loss that moves him down the board, he finishes with a losing season and he is off the board. You like him, fine. I don't think he is back and think there are better options right now. I also don't know all of the background vetting and what that turns up. But we know enough publicly that if true or worse, we don't need that right now. It may not be and if he vets out and we hire him. Fine I will support him, like I always do. But I don't see the same guy, which some of that may be good, but he's not winning and making jumps like he has in the past. Red flags for me.

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Well I'm not judging him on 1 game, it was a bad loss that moves him down the board, he finishes with a losing season and he is off the board. You like him, fine. I don't think he is back and think there are better options right now. I also don't know all of the background vetting and what that turns up. But we know enough publicly that if true or worse, we don't need that right now. It may not be and if he vets out and we hire him. Fine I will support him, like I always do. But I don't see the same guy, which some of that may be good, but he's not winning and making jumps like he has in the past. Red flags for me.

I like Herman but he's not my #1 or #2 choice. I just think backing off of him after one bad loss is a little much. He's a solid coach. He would be a great hire but there are others that would be just as great if not better.

Now, personally, I'm really warming up to Jason Candle at Toledo and Sumrall at Troy. And I can tell you if we keep Arnett for one more year Toledo is going to go in dry on us come next September.

Jacknut
11-06-2023, 10:24 AM
I think he's a pretty good pick. We need stability right now and I don't want to gamble on an "up and comer", JMHO.

viverlibre
11-06-2023, 10:29 AM
I'm on the Herman train too. We need someone with experience running a big time program. We can't take a chance on a coordinator, Mullen worked out, SloMo and Zack Morris didn't. We also need someone to recruit and some who has bravado. We could probably get him at a reason price too and I doubt his buyout at FAU is much.

After him, I'd look at Clay Helton. I'd certainly gauge interest from Chadwell, Leipold, but doubt they come with a $7mil + offer.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 10:34 AM
I like Herman but he's not my #1 or #2 choice. I just think backing off of him after one bad loss is a little much. He's a solid coach. He would be a great hire but there are others that would be just as great if not better.

Now, personally, I'm really warming up to Jason Candle at Toledo and Sumrall at Troy. And I can tell you if we keep Arnett for one more year Toledo is going to go in dry on us come next September.

Well the loss dropped him but that because it's a bad loss and puts him with a losing record at 4-5. Probably didn't make that clear enough.

I like Sumrall and Candle. I would go Sumrall a little more even less experience which is a concern but because he has a lot of SEC connections and has done a really good job at Troy it probably give him an edge. Candle is good and has done a good job at Toledo, just has never been a coach at a P5 program in any fashion. I do like for a coach to have some background at a large program. Jumping from that level to SEC is big.

I know it seem like I downgrade everyone, I just try to look at all angles but I wouldn't be upset with either one.

KB21
11-06-2023, 10:37 AM
I'm on the Herman train too. We need someone with experience running a big time program. We can't take a chance on a coordinator, Mullen worked out, SloMo and Zack Morris didn't. We also need someone to recruit and some who has bravado. We could probably get him at a reason price too and I doubt his buyout at FAU is much.

After him, I'd look at Clay Helton. I'd certainly gauge interest from Chadwell, Leipold, but doubt they come with a $7mil + offer.

Yeah. Herman and Helton should be the top 2. After the Arnett experience, MSU needs to value intelligence in this hire. Arnett is a meathead. Herman is a MENSA member. Helton has a degree in mathematics.

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 11:12 AM
What went down? He was fantastic at Houston and did good at Texas. He won 8, 10, 8, and the went 7-3 in 2020(Covid year). He got fired. He would have a statue at State for winning that.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:21 AM
What went down? He was fantastic at Houston and did good at Texas. He won 8, 10, 8, and the went 7-3 in 2020(Covid year). He got fired. He would have a statue at State for winning that.

No going into all the personal stuff but inside the program he had his own host players on the team recruit against him to several prospects. He had Ewers, a life long Longhorn horn fan de-commit to go to OSU and another highly rated OL go to Bama. Then after the season close to the bowl game, players went to the AD about him and what was going on in the program and how many players were planning to transfer. There was a big disconnect between him and the players. There was issues with the boosters but Texas boosters are a special breed of dumbass money. There is a lot of vetting needed to be done with, more than a lot of candidates. Especially if what was going on in his personal life was bleeding into the culture of the team. Like I said if we hire him, I will assume all of that checks out and I'll support the program. But there are a lot of red flags in the recent past for a guy with a losing record right now that makes me move him way down the list for me.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 11:24 AM
What about Fritz and he brings Pratt?
Program builder.
Won at different places that traditionally are hard places to win
Is 63 though. I think most will want young and energy.

Cowboydawg
11-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Until I see/hear something concrete otherwise, I just feel like Tom Herman got railroaded by Texas boosters and is suffering unfairly from it. I trust that Selmon would get to the bottom of it if there is more there. He has improved every situation he has taken over (still TBD record wise at FAU)...

Houston - 22-4 in 2 seasons before being hired by Texas. He was 13-1 in year 1 with a Peach Bowl Victory and 9-3 in year 2. Left for Texas before the bowl game.
Previous coach was 21-17 in 3 seasons. Herman turned an 8-5 team into 13-1.

Texas - 32-18 record in 4 seasons including 4-0 in Bowl games. He finished his final year 7-3 in a covid shortened season.
Previous coach (Charlie Strong) was 16-21 in 3 seasons (5-7, 5-7, 6-7)
Mack Browns final 4 seasons he had a record 30-21 with 2 bowl wins (compared to Herman's 4 seasons)
So the 7 prior years to Herman, Texas was 46-42 with 2 bowl wins
Currently Steve Sarkisian is 21-13 in his 3rd season

FAU - Currently 4-5 in his first season
Previous Coach (Willie Taggart) was 15-18 in 3 seasons after taking over an 11-3 Lane Kiffen team...including a covid shortened 5-4 season

FAU has 3 losses this year by a touchdown or less. There is a fine line between him being 4-5 and 7-2 right now.

I just don't think a 4-5 record at historically bad FAU team in year 1 should take anything away from what he has accomplished. Keep in mind that Lane Kiffen (who we all agree is a good coach) was 5-7 in year 2 at FAU. BUT that was sandwiched between 2 11-3 seasons.

Does OM still hire Kiffen if he were coming directly off that 5-7 season at FAU?

DownwardDawg
11-06-2023, 11:26 AM
No going into all the personal stuff but inside the program he had his own host players on the team recruit against him to several prospects. He had Ewers, a life long Longhorn horn fan de-commit to go to OSU and another highly rated OL go to Bama. Then after the season close to the bowl game, players went to the AD about him and what was going on in the program and how many players were planning to transfer. There was a big disconnect between him and the players. There was issues with the boosters but Texas boosters are a special breed of dumbass money. There is a lot of vetting needed to be done with, more than a lot of candidates. Especially if what was going on in his personal life was bleeding into the culture of the team. Like I said if we hire him, I will assume all of that checks out and I'll support the program. But there are a lot of red flags in the recent past for a guy with a losing record right now that makes me move him way down the list for me.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that!!

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Program builder.

I like Fritz but I don't think Pratt will be giving him a discount to come here. $1.5 - 2 MIL will be his NIL. He's asking for $2 MIL

Cowboydawg
11-06-2023, 11:36 AM

I don't know the story here but we all know boosters are heavily involved in Texas recruiting. If the boosters are making promises to players and recruits that Herman was not going along with, that would explain the friction there as well as the players complaining.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 11:50 AM
I like Fritz but I don't think Pratt will be giving him a discount to come here. $1.5 - 2 MIL will be his NIL. He's asking for $2 MIL

He may be worth 1 million but prob not 2.
I guess that depends on the market though

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:13 PM
I don't know the story here but we all know boosters are heavily involved in Texas recruiting. If the boosters are making promises to players and recruits that Herman was not going along with, that would explain the friction there as well as the players complaining.

No you misread that, his host players were negatively recruiting against Herman to prospects because of him. Had nothing to do with boosters at all.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 12:16 PM
He may be worth 1 million but prob not 2.
I guess that depends on the market though

I think his market will be high. Auburn alone will drive prices up on QB's until they get one.

viverlibre
11-06-2023, 12:49 PM
Program builder.

He's done great in 2022 and 2023, but check his record from 2016-2021. That's what many fans would key on. He took over a poop program for sure, but his first six years were not impressive. And most of that competition was against the weak sisters of the poor. I don't know if he'd do well or not, nor the particulars of his time at Toolame, but I think his hiring would seem underwhelming to the fan base as a whole. He would be the typical MSU here though....

Year Conf W L T Pct W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre
2021 American 2 10 0 .167 1 7 0 .125 -5.03 2.89
2020 American 6 6 0 .500 3 5 0 .375 -0.71 -4.30
2019 American 7 6 0 .538 3 5 0 .375 3.98 1.21
2018 American 7 6 0 .538 5 3 0 .625 -0.86 -2.17
2017 American 5 7 0 .417 3 5 0 .375 -2.24 -0.57
2016 American 4 8 0 .333 1 7 0 .125 -6.54 -2.21

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 07:45 PM
You go get Herman and make him tell you no. You ask twice. If he says no twice you move on. We need someone with some swagger to bring the juice back.

RocketDawg
11-06-2023, 07:52 PM

Everybody loses one of those creampuff games on occasion. Even Saban lost to Louisiana Tech (or one of the Louisiana schools). Mullen lost to South Alabama. Croom lost to Maine. South Carolina almost lost to Jacksonville State. And Michigan lost to App State.

Based on very limited knowledge, Herman is #1 for me. And he should be available, unlike Gundy who would be a lateral move.

civildawg
11-06-2023, 07:55 PM
The one thing I think Herman would do is elevate our recruiting a little and get our "network" more "engaged". We've needed someone to get everyone on the same page regarding recruiting