3. Lance Leipold, Kansas

4. Jamey Chadwell, Liberty

5. Willie Fritz, Tulane

6. Jeff Traylor, UTSA

7. Curt Cignetti, James Madison

8. Kendal Briles, TCU OC

9. Jon Sumrall, Troy

10. Clay Helton, Ga Southern

These are all guys I believe we can realistically get. Yes, all of them have pros and cons. Yes, some of them have $ holdups like buyouts that will complicate things. But these are the top names I think we should go after.

Discuss.

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 09:51 PM
Sell me on Lashley. Just curious and dont watch SMUb

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 09:51 PM
I'd put Herman at #1, and while Clay Helton is not #2, his resume is better than I remembered, and I'd at least put him in the top 10.

https://i.imgur.com/jmlfSxF.png

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 09:55 PM

SMU is currently #15 in total offense and #8 in total defense. They've got a really fun offense. It's a modernized Gus Bus.

Has a chance to win 10 games this year. He's from the south, coached in the south, played in the south. Young, energetic.

Only downfall is just two years of HC experience, but he'd be a hot name

DownwardDawg
11-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Herman is my favorite

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 09:57 PM
SMU is currently #15 in total offense and #8 in total defense.

Has a chance to win 10 games this year. He's from the south, coached in the south, played in the south. Young, energetic.

What do they do is it like Auburns offense under Malzahn, I know he coaches offense or he did at Auburn

Coach34
11-05-2023, 09:59 PM
Who is coming to try and win with the 15th best NIL warchest?

Fritz or Helton would be my guess

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 10:00 PM
What do they do is it like Auburns offense under Malzahn, I know he coaches offense or he did at Auburn

Take Gus's run game and tempo and add it with Sonny Dykes air raid, and it's something like that

Goldendawg
11-05-2023, 10:01 PM

Would you take the HC job or at least OC? Asking for a friend.*****

Bothrops
11-05-2023, 10:02 PM
No matter how you slice it, we are winning 2-4 games next year and could be worse than that.

Bothrops
11-05-2023, 10:03 PM

I doubt we're that high.

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 10:05 PM
I doubt we're that high.
He means 15th in the SEC

BuckyIsAB****
Take Gus's run game and tempo and add it with Sonny Dykes air raid, and it's something like that

I would be down for that. I think its going to be Clawson that gets the first offer but thats just me.

Really Clark?

Pro - 7-6 His first season but 7-2 right now. Has a really good offense. Has SEC experience.

Con - Light on HC experience, in Dallas with deep pockets in SMU and about to go to ACC next year.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 10:06 PM
I would be down for that. I think it's going to be Clawson that gets the first offer but thats just me.

I would love that

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 10:09 PM
My personal list would be

Herman
Malzahn
Fritz
Art Briles

But Selmon prolly goes

Clawson
Troy Coach
USA Coach
UTSA Coach

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 10:09 PM
I would be down for that. I think it's going to be Clawson that gets the first offer but thats just me.

I'd be thrilled with Clawson. Dude's a winner. He wouldn't recruit worth a damn down here though

msstate7
11-05-2023, 10:11 PM
My personal list would be

Herman
Malzahn
Fritz
Art Briles

But Selmon prolly goes

Clawson
Troy Coach
USA Coach
UTSA Coach

Att briles?!!! Bucky said he don't give a F... just win haha

msstate7
11-05-2023, 10:13 PM
I'd be thrilled with Clawson. Dude's a winner. He wouldn't recruit worth a damn down here though

My favorite trait of leach was he was able to win games while being at a talent deficit. This is something clawson can do too. I think that's a great quality for a program like us

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 10:14 PM
Att briles?!!! Bucky said he don't give a F... just win haha

Somebody will hire him and somebody will win. More stuff comes out making him look better and better.

We wont do it because we are State. But im down for it

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 10:15 PM
15th biggest warchest in the SEC (which could get up to like 12th if we worked just a little harder) is still going to be top 25-30 or so in the country, and the 12-team playoff gives us the chance to compete at a national level.

Any coach who's too scared is not going to be the right for us anyway.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Somebody will hire him and somebody will win. More stuff comes out making him look better and better.

The guy can't even be hired as a SWAC OC. He's not getting a head coaching job anywhere.

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 10:16 PM
I would add Matt Campbell to the list too. He would take it and we would scrap

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 10:17 PM
The guy can't even be hired as a SWAC OC. He's not getting a head coaching job anywhere.

Freeze did. Urban did. The guy at Michigan St did.

Im not defending them I am just simply stating they all got shots. Briles is gonna get one somewhere

msstate7
11-05-2023, 10:17 PM

Hey we aren't hiring the BSU chapter head here... we trying to win football games.

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 10:18 PM
My favorite trait of leach was he was able to win games while being at a talent deficit. This is something clawson can do too. I think that's a great quality for a program like us

This is true

BuckyIsAB****
11-05-2023, 10:19 PM
Hey we aren't hiring the BSU chapter head here... we trying to win football games.

We wont do it. We are more likely to get Saban than Briles. I would love to see if we could get Gundy to listen

HoopsDawg
11-05-2023, 10:21 PM
Thank you for not listing Mullen.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 10:23 PM

Im not defending them I am just simply stating they all got shots. Briles is gonna get one somewhere

Urban didn't do anything wrong criminally. He was just an addict who couldn't focus on his job.

Tucker is a real dickhead and creep, but also didn't commit any crimes.

Freeze was morally and legally wrong, but his crimes were debatably victimless. (Other than his wife, whom he probably exposed to all kinds of STDs...)

Briles fostered a culture where rape wasn't a big deal, helped get his rapist players off the hook, intimidated rape victims to get them not to tell anyone what happened and make them feel like it was all their fault, and knowingly accepted a transfer from Boise State that was a rapist, who then raped another girl at Baylor. Those other 3 aren't in the same universe as Briles.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 10:23 PM
We wont do it. We are more likely to get Saban than Briles. I would love to see if we could get Gundy to listen

Gundy is my unrealistic dream #1. The guy is so underrated. (And people think highly of him, just not highly enough.)

I think it's super unlikely that a "come coach in the SEC!" appeal would work for him, and if he were interested in that pitch, he could probably get the Florida job instead, but I can dream.

HoopsDawg
11-05-2023, 10:26 PM
Gundy is my unrealistic dream #1. The guy is so underrated. (And people think highly of him, just not highly enough.)

I think it's super unlikely that a "come coach in the SEC!" appeal would work for him, and if we were interested in that pitch, he could probably get the Florida job instead, but I can dream.

Mine would be Klieman from KSU. Perfect fit here.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 11:08 PM

Imagine the Air Raid and Gus Mahlzahn's offense together with vertical shots.

That's his offense.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 11:15 PM
Our fans need to keep an eye on Texas State and GJ Kinne. He has an offense that is leading the Sun Belt in year one. Built his team through the portal so he knows how to do that. They're 6-3 right now and putting up tons of points in year one. Needs a better DC probably but we have shown that we can handle that.

His offense is a blend of Air Raid, Veer and Shoot, Chip Kelly, and Mahlzahn. Literally- if this offense doesn't make everyone happy I don't know what will. No one runs an offense like his and his OC is Mack Leftwich who is great. If he can pull Troy's DC or Symons from SMU we will be cooking with gas.

Also he upset Baylor this year and he hung 77 on Jackson State.

And he's a very young guy- sort of like Dan when we hired him. Very charismatic. I think the media would like him.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 11:17 PM
Our fans need to keep an eye on Texas State and GJ Kinne. He has an offense that is leading the Sun Belt in year one. Built his team through the portal so he knows how to do that. They're 6-3 right now and putting up tons of points in year one. Needs a better DC probably but we have shown that we can handle that.

His offense is a blend of Air Raid, Veer and Shoot, Chip Kelly, and Mahlzahn. Literally- if this offense doesn't make everyone happy I don't know what will. No one runs an offense like his and his OC is Mack Leftwich who is great. If he can pull Troy's DC or Symons from SMU we will be cooking with gas.

Sounds good. Also took Incarnate Word to the semifinals of the FCS last year.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-06-2023, 01:07 AM
I would add Matt Campbell to the list too. He would take it and we would scrap
Do you watch Iowa State football? It’s boring, conservative, and defensive minded. Basically Iowa. We need an offensive minded coach.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-06-2023, 05:10 AM
15th biggest warchest in the SEC (which could get up to like 12th if we worked just a little harder) is still going to be top 25-30 or so in the country, and the 12-team playoff gives us the chance to compete at a national level.

Any coach who's too scared is not going to be the right for us anyway.
^^^^^This^^^^^

RocketDawg
11-06-2023, 07:21 AM
Herman is my favorite

Yes, I think so too.

viverlibre
11-06-2023, 07:46 AM

Briles will be 68 years old in December and was accused to coving up rapes (i'm not saying he's guilty), he's not getting another chance at a major job. i think 99% of folks can figure this out.

msudawg1200
11-06-2023, 08:27 AM

If you are going to keep spouting this "woe is me BS" then it would be best for us to join the AAC or Sun Belt. Nut up and quit crying and making excuses for your shitty coaching buddies.

civildawg
11-06-2023, 08:31 AM
Seriously, this board has become terrible with him crying over his friends that are crappy coaches. He's as bad as Bucky with Will.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Do you watch Iowa State football? It’s boring, conservative, and defensive minded. Basically Iowa. We need an offensive minded coach.

They scored hella points with Purdy and Breece Hall.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 09:15 AM

And he's a very young guy- sort of like Dan when we hired him. Very charismatic. I think the media would like him.

I have heard this name mentioned

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 09:16 AM
Seriously, this board has become terrible with him crying over his friends that are crappy coaches. He's as bad as Bucky with Will.

Well at least Will has won

gtowndawg
11-06-2023, 09:23 AM

Interesting. Young but very interesting.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 09:24 AM
I like Kinne but it's way too soon. He can't recruit, he can't build a program, he can't maintain a program and a good culture. Or maybe he can but we have no evidence that he can. He has never stayed anywhere for more than a year and is a second year HC. I like what I've seen so far but we have to have someone with a better track record and proof that they can build and elevate a program for multiple years.

KB21
11-06-2023, 09:33 AM

Think about an offense that combines an Air Raid style passing attack with Gus Malzahn's run concepts.

mo7888
11-06-2023, 02:54 PM
Think about an offense that combines an Air Raid style passing attack with Gus Malzahn's run concepts.

That sounds like an offense tailor made for Chris Parson .

Captain Falcon
11-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Not sure I see Lashlee leaving SMU with them bound for the ACC next year. They also have the booster support to build something there.

KB21
11-06-2023, 03:09 PM
Not sure I see Lashlee leaving SMU with them bound for the ACC next year. They also have the booster support to build something there.

It would be very difficult to get him. SMU can pay him anything they want to.

confucius say
11-06-2023, 03:15 PM
SMU is currently #15 in total offense and #8 in total defense. They've got a really fun offense. It's a modernized Gus Bus.

His OC is Casey Woods, Starkville academy graduate and son of Sparky

bullygrowl
11-06-2023, 03:33 PM
His OC is Casey Woods, Starkville academy graduate and son of Sparky

That guy has built a nice resume. He should get a G5 HC offer soon.

https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/casey-woods/6319

HoopsDawg
11-06-2023, 04:26 PM
My board:

I make a huge offer to Leiopold and Klieman. They have to tell me no first. Either would be a homerun.

Then I move on to Traylor and Fritz.

The final step would be a roll of the dice with Kinne. Miss on all 5 of these, close up shop.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2023, 04:28 PM
I have come around on both Lashlee and Kinne. I still say my personal favorites are Herman and Mullen. And look I think Fritz and Clawson are both fine coaches, Fritz moreso than Clawson. But we need someone who can bring energy and a pissed off nature and take no ones BS type attitude back into the program, ala Dan in 09 when he told the entire athletic department that they were a bunch of losers.

HoopsDawg
11-06-2023, 04:36 PM
I have come around on both Lashlee and Kinne. I still say my personal favorites are Herman and Mullen. And look I think Fritz and Clawson are both fine coaches, Fritz moreso than Clawson. But we need someone who can bring energy and a pissed off nature and take no ones BS type attitude back into the program, ala Dan in 09 when he told the entire athletic department that they were a bunch of losers.

You and I usually see things pretty similar. I just don't get it with Mullen. Fck that guy. I think we as a fan base were burned so badly by Moorehead and the Arnett experiment that we have put Mullen on a pedestal. There are many, many coaches that can accomplish what he did.

TrapGame
11-06-2023, 04:42 PM
My board:

I make a huge offer to Leiopold and Klieman. They have to tell me no first. Either would be a homerun.

Then I move on to Traylor and Fritz.

The final step would be a roll of the dice with Kinne. Miss on all 5 of these, close up shop.

Hoops, there are plenty of other coaches to go after. You barely scratched the surface. Leipold would be a grand slam hire though. I'd like to kick the tires of Candle (Toledo) and Sumrall (Troy). Herman would be a great hire. Chadwell would be a really good hire but his buyout is ridiculous and he might want to wait on a bigger job offer. Traylor is interesting but not really "sexy" enough for most of the fan base. And personally I think Fritz may be too old. I'm warming up to Lashlee but I bet he stays at SMU.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2023, 04:50 PM
You and I usually see things pretty similar. I just don't get it with Mullen. Fck that guy. I think we as a fan base were burned so badly by Moorehead and the Arnett experiment that we have put Mullen on a pedestal. There are many, many coaches that can accomplish what he did.

That is partly it and I know how well we were coached with Dan. All I have heard is how we are so bad in NIL so I look at guys who I know do more with less on a regular basis and we had a front row seat to it for 9 years. The amount of times we had one or two stars that played like four and five stars were too many to count. Hell, Hev took a line with 2 walk ons, 2 two stars, and a 3 star and we ran the ball down peoples throats.

I also know we would not have to buy Dan out of a contract like we would any similar guys like him (Kleiman, Leipold, etc)

sandjunky
11-06-2023, 04:50 PM
They scored hella points with Purdy and Breece Hall.

He?s also 6-12 in his last 18 against power 5 schools

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2023, 04:56 PM

No to Campbell. We would have to pay a small fortune to even buy him out and then you would have to pay him 6-7 million for a guy who outside of one year is a 6-8 win coach in a mediocre league.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 05:07 PM

Considering the fact that he is the first coach since the mid 70's (when Earl Bruce was their coach) to have a career winning record at Iowa State and only the second coach since 1919 to have a better than .500 record at ISU, he has done a fantastic job. That is a very difficult job. Johnny Majors coached there to a .443 win percentage before being hired away to Pitt. Throw in that today he is having to compete with their NIL and he was better at Toledo than Candle has been. We could do a whole lot worse than Campbell.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 05:09 PM
No to Campbell. We would have to pay a small fortune to even buy him out and then you would have to pay him 6-7 million for a guy who outside of one year is a 6-8 win coach in a mediocre league.

His buyout is only $4 MIL

Coursesuper
11-06-2023, 05:31 PM
His buyout is only $4 MIL

No, we have to be way way more innovative than that.

Santiago
11-06-2023, 06:17 PM

Could be wrong but don't see Lashlee leaving the state of TX.
Similar concern for Kinne, but maybe the money is enough for him to jump.

Santiago
11-06-2023, 06:21 PM
Considering the fact that he is the first coach since the mid 70's (when Earl Bruce was their coach) to have a career winning record at Iowa State and only the second coach since 1919 to have a better than .500 record at ISU, he has done a fantastic job. That is a very difficult job. Johnny Majors coached there to a .443 win percentage before being hired away to Pitt. Throw in that today he is having to compete with their NIL and he was better at Toledo than Candle has been. We could do a whole lot worse than Campbell.

I would be fired up to hire Campbell. He can flat out coach and beats higher recruited teams with his talent. I used to think he was holding out for a Big Ten team, as in certain teams.

DDawg
11-06-2023, 06:47 PM
I bet we can get Napier after Florida fires him.. I remember a whole lot of talk about him coming here before he took that job, I think he was supposed to be like the second coming if my memory serves.

KB21
11-06-2023, 06:48 PM
Could be wrong but don't see Lashlee leaving the state of TX.
Similar concern for Kinne, but maybe the money is enough for him to jump.

Kinne has been all over the place. SMU, Arkansas. Philadelphia, Hawaii, and Central Florida.

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 07:32 PM

Sounds legit

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 07:32 PM

Herman would do that

Kingbarkus
11-06-2023, 08:30 PM
Fritz ain’t coming. Good coach but he’s turned down other opportunities. I would go after either one of the Kansas coaches. My dream hire(s). Kliemon is walking Mississippi State. Herman is intriguing. The Arizona coach is too.

KB21
11-06-2023, 08:55 PM
GJ Kinne is the guy. He’s the anti- MSU establishment hire. He’s young, hip, and has a cutting edge offense. He’s the type that Coach34 will curl their nose up at because he isn’t a big dumb offense guy.