PDA

View Full Version : I'm leaning towards Grubb, Bama and TAMU wanted him

BlackSailsDawg
11-05-2023, 08:15 PM
And he is a great human being. Great work ethic....etc..

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/how-uws-ryan-grubb-a-former-hog-farmer-became-one-of-the-best-offensive-coordinators-in-college-football/

Just a few excerpts:

This offseason, Grubb ? recently ranked by Pro Football Focus as the No. 2 offensive coordinator in the nation ? received significant interest from SEC blue bloods Alabama and Texas A&M.

The farmer woke early and worked late. He understood that growth was gradual; success took time. For nearly seven years, he operated a hog farm in northwest Iowa. He utilized the rugged physicality formed through college football, playing multiple positions ? fullback, tailback, stand-up tight end ? for the nearby Buena Vista Beavers.

He noted that ?I grew up on a farm. My dad grew up on a farm. His dad grew up on a farm, et cetera, et cetera.?

So, while maintaining the farm, Grubb pursued other paths. He took night classes at Western Iowa Tech Community College, eventually earning EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician-Basic) certification. He hoped to become a firefighter.

In 2003 ? five years after finishing his final season at Division III Buena Vista ? Grubb joined the staff at his other alma mater, Kingsley-Pierson High. And even while juggling pigs and pigskins as the Panthers? part-time offensive coordinator, he was an immediate upgrade.

Indeed, the hog farmer (and former high-school wrestler) cultivated competition. Eric Sitzmann, a fullback and linebacker at K-P in 2003, said Grubb ?always showed up. He was always on. Very positive attitude, really intense. He was really good at relating to all these young players, especially in small town Iowa. It?s not like you?re getting five-star kids out of there. He always found ways to relate and to coach you up in a way that you could understand.?

Exhibit A: the index cards. Before Friday games, Grubb wrote notes for each of his players ? often repeating play calls or offering morsels of motivation ? and left them in their lockers. It wasn?t a practice pilfered from a previous coach.

After nearly seven years on the farm, and two moonlighting at his alma mater, Grubb accepted a graduate assistant position at South Dakota State in 2005.

He left one path to pursue his purpose.

?When you?re paying your dues, a lot of people grind through that. Ryan skipped through it. He embraced it. I would say some of it is his farm background, having that type of work ethic and that focus to finish the job.?

By May 2007, one job was finished. And, as Grubb graduated from SDSU with a master?s degree in sports pedagogy, the search for his first full-time coaching gig presented contrasting paths.

Grubb continued. ?So I move into my sister?s spare bedroom back in Sioux City [Iowa] and I start pouring concrete. I?ve got two degrees, and here I am pouring mud, just trying to pay the bills.?

For two-plus months, Grubb poured mud, called coaches and repeated the process.

Following a night shift in July 2007, Grubb got a call from Jon Anderson, a former Buena Vista teammate-turned Sioux Falls assistant coach. In South Dakota, the Cougars had just earned their second NAIA national championship, under a 32-year-old second-year head coach named Kalen DeBoer.

Grubb was offered $2,700 for the season to coach the Cougar offensive line.

?I was like, ?I?ll take it,?? he recalled. ?Because I knew Kalen, and he was a winner. He was a good dude.?

Great article that shows how hard that guy works.

Santiago
11-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Yes!

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 08:20 PM
I would like to see him operate the offense away from his buddy for a couple of years. And while I do like P5 coordinators, I prefer them to have more experience but more importantly for this cycle we really need to look at HC experience for our next hire if at all possible.

BlackSailsDawg
11-05-2023, 08:30 PM
Yes!

Yeah, he is a somebody I would get behind with NIL and more.

Santiago
11-05-2023, 08:30 PM
I would like to see him operate the offense away from his buddy for a couple of years. And while I do like P5 coordinators, I prefer them to have more experience but more importantly for this cycle we really need to look at HC experience for our next hire if at all possible.

How far down would Sean Lewis be on the list. I am not promoting him as top candidate. But the fact he worked a miracle at Kent State, and then did what he did for Colorado with a bad Oline. Just curious on your thoughts.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 08:39 PM
How far down would Sean Lewis be on the list. I am not promoting him as top candidate. But the fact he worked a miracle at Kent State, and then did what he did for Colorado with a bad Oline. Just curious on your thoughts.

I like Lewis more than others on here. I think the job he did at Kent, with there history, was good. Here is a criteria on looking at HC's. The lower the competition they have played, the more they need to have won. I think he did a heck of job, but if I'm going that far down, I want to see more wins. Take Klieman, a fantastic coach but pretty far down in division but he won, a lot and championships. If I'm looking in that class of a school like Lewis was in, I probably would shade more toward Traylor and Cignetti. Candle and him would be pretty close. Mainly because Toledo is a much better program than Kent so the actual accomplishments are closer to equal. All good coaches but that's my pecking order. Then he could move up or down depending on actual vetting and interview.

KOdawg1
11-05-2023, 08:40 PM
I want a guy with HC experience

Santiago
11-05-2023, 08:43 PM
I like Lewis more than others on here. I think the job he did at Kent, with there history, was good. Here is a criteria on looking at HC's. The lower the competition they have played, the more they need to have won. I think he did a heck of job, but if I'm going that far down, I want to see more wins. Take Klieman, a fantastic coach but pretty far down in division but he won, a lot and championships. If I'm looking in that class of a school like Lewis was in, I probably would shade more toward Traylor and Cignetti. Candle and him would be pretty close. Mainly because Toledo is a much better program than Kent so the actual accomplishments are closer to equal. All good coaches but that's my pecking order. Then he could move up or down depending on actual vetting and interview.

Good points, and seems those type of coaches are TX and midwestern guys who have no interest in the deep south unless it would be a bigger program.
Who are your top 5 or so, or guys in mind? I know we go bigger game hunting but then have to have a good tier 2 group also.

BlackSailsDawg
11-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Good points, and seems those type of coaches are TX and midwestern guys who have no interest in the deep south unless it would be a bigger program.
Who are your top 5 or so, or guys in mind? I know we go bigger game hunting but then have to have a good tier 2 group also.

Grubb turned down 2 SEC offers due to a commitment made to the players. Or at least that's what the article insinuates.

gtowndawg
11-05-2023, 08:44 PM
I want a guy with HC experience

Same. This guy may be great but Moorhead was (I beleive) the #1 rated OC when we hired him. Hard to gamble on this pick.

Homedawg
11-05-2023, 08:47 PM
Grubb DIDN'T get 2 SEC offers and then said it was due to a commitment made to the players. Or at least that's what the article insinuates.

FIFY

BlackSailsDawg
11-05-2023, 08:49 PM
FIFY

This offseason, Grubb — recently ranked by Pro Football Focus as the No. 2 offensive coordinator in the nation — received significant interest from SEC blue bloods Alabama and Texas A&M. But given his relationship with DeBoer — not to mention quarterback Michael Penix Jr., wide receivers Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan, and left tackle Troy Fautanu, all of whom returned to play for him — Grubb again prioritized people.

What ever you say

Homedawg
11-05-2023, 08:58 PM
This offseason, Grubb — recently ranked by Pro Football Focus as the No. 2 offensive coordinator in the nation — received significant interest from SEC blue bloods Alabama and Texas A&M. But given his relationship with DeBoer — not to mention quarterback Michael Penix Jr., wide receivers Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan, and left tackle Troy Fautanu, all of whom returned to play for him — Grubb again prioritized people.

What ever you say
Significant interest and job offers are two totally different things. Totally

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 09:00 PM

With HC experience in a lower tier? In no particular order Traylor (probably headed to Baylor), Cignetti (age could be a factor), Clay Helton if he gets to 8+ wins (from the SE and plenty of P5 experience), Willie Fritz (age again) and Chadwell (if he is willing to take the plunge now, but I think he will wait on offers). That's probably my first 5 but the older coaches might would move out of the top 5 or be behind the other 3.

BlackSailsDawg
11-05-2023, 09:00 PM
Significant interest and job offers are two totally different things. Totally

Whatever HD.

Not going to argue about it with you.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 09:04 PM
After ZA and Moorhead, no chance a cood gets the job

DownwardDawg
11-05-2023, 09:37 PM
After ZA and Moorhead, no chance a cood gets the job

I don't think so either. It's Mullen or Herman. That's who I think.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 09:43 PM
I don't think so either. It's Mullen or Herman. That's who I think.

I don't think mullen will be interested. I think it will be out of this group...

Herman
Jon Sumrall
Willie fritz

I have zero sources though, so this is strictly hunch

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 09:47 PM
I don't think mullen will be interested. I think it will be out of this group...

Herman
Jon Sumrall
Willie fritz

I like Sumrall but 2 years at Troy is a little light on experience as a HC.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 09:49 PM

I don't think our pool of willing dance partners is gonna be that great

Cooterpoot
11-05-2023, 09:52 PM
Not gonna happen and thankfully so.

Cooterpoot
11-05-2023, 09:53 PM

Herman
Jon Sumrall
Willie fritz

I'm betting it's none of those unless Herman is the guy and that's highly doubtful right now.

DownwardDawg
11-05-2023, 09:55 PM

Herman
Jon Sumrall
Willie fritz

I want Herman

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Just looked closely at Sumrall's 2 seasons at Troy, and there's not much to argue against.

Whether that translates to the SEC in the NIL era is another question, but I don't see any red flags at all.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Just looked closely at Sumrall's 2 seasons at Troy, and there's not much to argue against.

Whether that translates to the SEC in the NIL era is another question, but I don't see any red flags at all.

Coached at OM and Kentucky, so he's been around programs at our level in the sec

HoopsDawg
11-05-2023, 10:23 PM

I like him, but he's a defensive minded coach. Also, Troy usually has more talent than their conference opponents. Pretty good facilities.

dawgday166
11-05-2023, 10:26 PM

Drinkwitz only had one year at an App St school that had been pretty decent the year before. He did go 12-1 tho. And his resume has him working with Malzhahn as he built AU, at Ark St building a program, Boise St on ground floor of building a program, etc.

So far it looks like he knows what he's doing and has chosen a good staff. Still a little early to tell IMO.

Either way ... it's all a crapshoot IMO but HC experience is required ... also IMO. Hopefully someone who has helped someone else build another program too.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 11:05 PM
Coached at OM and Kentucky, so he's been around programs at our level in the sec

I would like to see us hire someone like GJ Kinne and then hire Troy's DC. His DC was at Army prior to Troy and he is really good. Their assistant DC in from Brandon and played at Ole Miss under Freeze.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 11:07 PM

I agree that we need experience. But if we do go the coordinator route I'm OK rolling with Jeff Lebby. He's the exception in my book.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 09:07 AM
I agree that we need experience. But if we do go the coordinator route I'm OK rolling with Jeff Lebby. He's the exception in my book.

So is Grubbs. He knows how to install his offense, and he is the one that developed it.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 09:12 AM
So is Grubbs. He knows how to install his offense, and he is the one that developed it.

DeBoer developed it with Grubbs helping. Grubbs didn't develop it.

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 09:38 AM
DeBoer developed it with Grubbs helping. Grubbs didn't develop it.

Not arguing with you either. Yes he did. Moreso, he knows it. Inside out. How to install it. How to run a program too.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35564060/sources-washington-oc-ryan-grubb-not-leaving-alabama

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 09:54 AM
Not arguing with you either. Yes he did. Moreso, he knows it. Inside out. How to install it. How to run a program too.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35564060/sources-washington-oc-ryan-grubb-not-leaving-alabama

"Especially the last eight years, we built the offense together. He?s been very involved. Yes, he was the offensive line coach prior to being the coordinator. But he knew he wanted to be a coordinator, so he was always paying attention, asking questions and we were developing our system together.?

From DeBoer directly. Grubb did not develop that offense. DeBoer was the OC who developed it with Grubb who was the line coach.

Take another loss and your self imposed vacations like you do after you were completely wrong on Chris Jones and left the board, like you were wrong last week and left the board for several days. He did NOT develop this offense by himself. This is DeBoer's offense he has been running for years even when he left to Indiana. Grubbs didn't run it completely after that with another HC. DeBoer came back and the reinstalled his complete offense. It took off at Fresno St after that. DeBoer as a OC developed alongside Grubbs who was the OL coach.

ETA. The article you linked states nothing about him developing the offense. It did mention all the stops he worked under DeBoer.

Homedawg
11-06-2023, 10:01 AM
"Especially the last eight years, we built the offense together. He?s been very involved. Yes, he was the offensive line coach prior to being the coordinator. But he knew he wanted to be a coordinator, so he was always paying attention, asking questions and we were developing our system together.?

From DeBoer directly. Grubb did not develop that offense. DeBoer was the OC who developed it with Grubb who was the line coach.

Take another loss and your self imposed vacations like you do after you were completely wrong on Chris Jones and left the board, like you were wrong last week and left the board for several days. He did NOT develop this offense by himself. This is DeBoer's offense he has been running for years even when he left to Indiana. Grubbs didn't run it completely after that with another HC. DeBoer came back and the reinstalled his complete offense. It took off at Fresno St after that. DeBoer as a OC developed alongside Grubbs who was the OL coach.

But....."not arguing with you either. Yes he did." Hahahahhah

BlackSailsDawg
11-06-2023, 10:02 AM

ETA. The article you linked states nothing about him developing the offense. It did mention all the stops he worked under DeBoer.

It's laughable that you are trying to belittle what Grubb has done.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 10:13 AM
It's laughable that you are trying to belittle what Grubb has done.

Deflection. At no point did I belittle him. Accept to point out what he has stated many times himself, when he was the OC at Fresno without DeBoer, it was not good and they went away some from the system. I think he is a very good OC. But you straight up lied or was completely ignorant to the fact he was NOT the one to develop this offense. That is not true.

Really Clark?
11-06-2023, 10:15 AM
But....."not arguing with you either. Yes he did." Hahahahhah

I know!! If you are not going to argue, don't even freaking post. Much less link an article that in no way backs up your argument. That article had absolutely nothing to do with who developed that offense.