PDA

View Full Version : Here's the Problem With MSU

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 02:15 AM
We lack vision as to what our football program could be and we settle for less and cut corners.

Too easily do we accept that "we can't because" instead of trying to find a way to overcome the problem.

First and foremost we need to find ways to continue to build NIL. We need to find a way to build a recruiting machine and pump money into improving our resources. MSU should be embarrassed to be last in the SEC in recruiting. Instead of trying to fix it we just convince ourselves that we can find diamonds in the rough and out develop everyone. And that recruiting rankings really don't matter. MSU needs to stop making excuses and improve it. I don't care if it's not as much or as good as Alabama - we could be a lot better than we are.

That leads to the need to fix the product on the field. Start at the top with the coach. Arnett is a meathead who isn't interesting and doesn't inspire anything. Jackie made people talk. Dan made people talk. Leach made people talk. Heck- even Croom had the first African American coach angle. We need a good coach but we also need someone that is relatable. Someone with some charisma.

Then run an offense that is exciting and does something crazy like score points. And no it doesn't have to be the Air Raid. Although it could be a modified Air Raid. Could be the Veer and Shoot. Could be a pass first pro style offense like Washington. What we run looks like a shitty high school offense. People don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch something that they can see on Friday night for 10 bucks except with our guys running into each other and not knowing which direction the play is going half the time. It's boring as hell and we're sloppy with it. Run an aggressive blitzing defense like we all love. Be good on special teams- do the Dog Pound Rock and don't half ass it. Bring back the Mad Dawgs Special Teams unit. Have the Mad Dawgs symbol be a pirate flag or a skull as a tribute to Mike Leach.

And do things our fans like. Keep the uniforms we wore tonight. Our fans love them. Don't change it. Make our stadium atmosphere the best in the SEC.

NO MORE BLUE COLLAR HARD WORKING SLOGANS! WE'RE NOT A BUNCH OF FARMERS ANYMORE!

EdwardDrayton
11-05-2023, 04:41 AM
We're not a bunch. But apparently the people pulling the strings still are.

BrunswickDawg
11-05-2023, 07:01 AM
We're not a bunch. But apparently the people pulling the strings still are.

Then send them out to pasture and let them dictate what happens at South Farm and not the key athletic program of the school.

Ranchdawg
11-05-2023, 08:11 AM
I agree with some points made and add some.

This false narrative that we are poor needs to stop. Yes we may not have the money like Bama Georgia LSU Auburn. But we sure as heck have the money as Missouri Kentucky Vandy Arkansas. Money doesn?t make players catch the ball on Saturday money doesn?t make players commit stupid penalties Money doesn?t make a punter kick a 35yrd punt at a critical point in the game. Texas AM proves this. They have more money than just about any school in the SEC yet they just lost to ole miss team that has WAY less money. Also no monies is nothing more than a excuse and excuses are for losers.

And is there a un written rule at State that says players shouldn?t take responsibility for their play on the field. Sure they are doing what they coached to do but personal fouls and blind side blocks on back to back weekends is majority on the players.

And this ghost of atheletic director needs to appear and tell the fan base something anything. Because the fan base is not happy right now. I pay a lot of monies for every home game for me wife kids and grandkids and have been at every home game this year. And I?m not happy with what I?ve seen and seriously doubt I?ll be doing the same next year. Fix it Selmon and no excuses just fix it.

CaptainObvious
11-05-2023, 08:39 AM
Sooooo. What does State do with the money the SEC gives out after Bowl Season? Do we use it to study the mating habits of crawfish?

Rawdawg
11-05-2023, 09:00 AM
I agree with some points made and add some.

This false narrative that we are poor needs to stop. Yes we may not have the money like Bama Georgia LSU Auburn. But we sure as heck have the money as Missouri Kentucky Vandy Arkansas. Money doesn?t make players catch the ball on Saturday money doesn?t make players commit stupid penalties Money doesn?t make a punter kick a 35yrd punt at a critical point in the game. Texas AM proves this. They have more money than just about any school in the SEC yet they just lost to ole miss team that has WAY less money. Also no monies is nothing more than a excuse and excuses are for losers.

And is there a un written rule at State that says players shouldn?t take responsibility for their play on the field. Sure they are doing what they coached to do but personal fouls and blind side blocks on back to back weekends is majority on the players.

And this ghost of atheletic director needs to appear and tell the fan base something anything. Because the fan base is not happy right now. I pay a lot of monies for every home game for me wife kids and grandkids and have been at every home game this year. And I?m not happy with what I?ve seen and seriously doubt I?ll be doing the same next year. Fix it Selmon and no excuses just fix it.

Money buys players. We need money to buy better players instead of using all of our NIL funds to prevent other schools from cherry picking our current roster. Player retention is huge, however if you don?t have the ability to pay your current players plus go into the portal and buy players in positions of need your roster will never improve. Sure you could get lucky and sign som diamond in the rough high school kid but how many freshmen actually see the field?

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 09:16 AM
Sooooo. What does State do with the money the SEC gives out after Bowl Season? Do we use it to study the mating habits of crawfish?

We use it run the entire athletic department

MaroonFlounder
11-05-2023, 10:53 AM
We are not, and will not, be able to navigate the NIL era of college football.

It may be a blessing if this program is not included in the Super-conferences that are destined to be the future.

Welcome to the G5. Might can be a powerhouse of the midget leagues.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 11:00 AM
We have an inferiority complex as a fanbase. Say what you will about Ole Miss fans, and yes, they're insufferable, but they don't have that inferiority complex.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 11:08 AM
We have an inferiority complex as a fanbase. Say what you will about Ole Miss fans, and yes, they're insufferable, but they don't have that inferiority complex.

Well as narcissistic douches they wouldn't. Lol

Homedawg
11-05-2023, 11:12 AM

It may be a blessing if this program is not included in the Super-conferences that are destined to be the future.

If we don't remain in a the sec or super conference we will be usm and fast. In everything. So, no, it wouldn't be a blessing.

EdwardDrayton
11-05-2023, 11:12 AM

'<slow steady clap>'

Coursesuper
11-05-2023, 11:16 AM

I hate to bust your bubble, but if we fall into the G5 we are done. That is the worst thing that can happen to the university as a whole. Our athletic department is funded through our association with the SEC. So we have to get our head out of our asses and play the game or it?s over for us.

Coursesuper
11-05-2023, 11:22 AM

They are what they are but, they can all get in the same page something we struggle miserably to do.

CaptainObvious
11-05-2023, 02:20 PM
They are what they are but, they can all get in the same page something we struggle miserably to do.

Hell, we have 100 different ideas how to move forward on this board alone. And it is probably less that 1/4 of 1% of the State fans that give a crap let alone the ones that make games social and drinking events oblivious to the football game.

Gutter Cobreh
11-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Money buys players. We need money to buy better players instead of using all of our NIL funds to prevent other schools from cherry picking our current roster. Player retention is huge, however if you don?t have the ability to pay your current players plus go into the portal and buy players in positions of need your roster will never improve. Sure you could get lucky and sign som diamond in the rough high school kid but how many freshmen actually see the field?

It's a case of the "chicken or the egg"... The conundrum is the coaching staff are the ones that heavily direct where those funds go. If you have an incompetent coach or staff, you think that money will be spent wisely?

A&M and Tennessee have two of the largest NIL collectives, and what do they have to show for it?

Find a coaching staff that can motivate the players and fanbase, and the money will follow.

StarkVegasSteve
11-05-2023, 02:42 PM

Well then we need more narcissistic douches instead of lunch pale hard hat we are gonna be blue collar and RTGDF type people. Make fun of them all you want, but they are all rowing in the same direction and are reaping the rewards of that.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Well then we need more narcissistic douches instead of lunch pale hard hat we are gonna be blue collar and RTGDF type people. Make fun of them all you want, but they are all rowing in the same direction and are reaping the rewards of that.

Naw, we have enough narcissistic douches as it is. I'm pretty tired of people thinking that hard working blue collar types are not needed. That BS. You need all types working together. They have their non alum side walk fan confederate flag wavers pulling the same as their doctor, lawyers, politicians. We need to stop with the dumbass labels and just work in the same direction.

And for the record it was about the inferiority complex statement he made when I jokingly said narcissistic douches can't have an inferiority complex. Had nothing to do with pulling together.

Coursesuper
11-05-2023, 03:00 PM
Naw, we have enough narcissistic douches as it is. I'm pretty tired of people thinking that hard working blue collar types are not needed. That BS. You need all types working together. They have their non alum side walk fan confederate flag wavers pulling the same as their doctor, lawyers, politicians. We need to stop with the dumbass labels and just work in the same direction.

And for the record it was about the inferiority complex statement he made when I jokingly said narcissistic douches can't have an inferiority complex. Had nothing to do with pulling together.

Yep, you nailed it. We have a hard time getting together. It is our largest issue. Even when things are good we still have those people who can?t get on board.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Yep, you nailed it. We have a hard time getting together. It is our largest issue. Even when things are good we still have those people who can?t get on board.

I can't disagree with that at all. And you have it with higher level boosters and administration too. The whole Cohen hire as an AD debacle caused a lot of riffs that have never been fully put behind some. We have some too centric over one sport or another vs the entire athletic program. And I don't mean just baseball. Basketball is the same, although our football should have taken notes from basketball about networking and funding "NIL" years ago.

RezDog7
11-05-2023, 03:14 PM

Exactly. This board is a great example and includes some AR lovers and a jr high offense coordinator that are absolutely insufferable.

DownwardDawg
11-05-2023, 04:07 PM
We use it run the entire athletic department

But it's leaps and bounds more today than it was just a few years ago. We must be grossly mismanaging our resources. That's poor leadership.

DownwardDawg
11-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Exactly. This board is a great example and includes some AR lovers and a jr high offense coordinator that are absolutely insufferable.

Yea. If this board is any representation of the rest of our fanbase, we are more divided now than ever before.

dawgday166
11-05-2023, 04:24 PM
But it's leaps and bounds more today than it was just a few years ago. We must be grossly mismanaging our resources. That's poor leadership.

Increased bureaucracy most likely.. People like to create fiefdoms, hire their buddies, enlarge their salaries a great deal, entrench themselves in a system, etc.

maroonmania
11-05-2023, 04:49 PM
That leads to the need to fix the product on the field. Start at the top with the coach. Arnett is a meathead who isn't interesting and doesn't inspire anything. Jackie made people talk. Dan made people talk. Leach made people talk. Heck- even Croom had the first African American coach angle. We need a good coach but we also need someone that is relatable. Someone with some charisma.

Then run an offense that is exciting and does something crazy like score points. And no it doesn't have to be the Air Raid. Although it could be a modified Air Raid. Could be the Veer and Shoot. Could be a pass first pro style offense like Washington. What we run looks like a shitty high school offense. People don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch something that they can see on Friday night for 10 bucks except with our guys running into each other and not knowing which direction the play is going half the time. It's boring as hell and we're sloppy with it. Run an aggressive blitzing defense like we all love. Be good on special teams- do the Dog Pound Rock and don't half ass it. Bring back the Mad Dawgs Special Teams unit. Have the Mad Dawgs symbol be a pirate flag or a skull as a tribute to Mike Leach.

The first time I KNEW ZA was not going to work was after the Arizona game when he stated we didn't throw the ball so we could rest our defense. You think Kiffin and other innovative offensive coaches today give a rat's ass about resting a defense? Today's football REQUIRES scoring and being good on offense. Having an old school defensive guy like ZA as HC is antequated unless you want to play like Iowa.