PDA

View Full Version : Mullen would be my choice if he?d come back

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 08:58 PM
We know he?ll succeed. He already did once.

msstate7
11-04-2023, 09:00 PM
If begging is required, I'll volunteer

parabrave
11-04-2023, 09:02 PM
We need someone who can get 3 stars and develop them into 4-5 star talent, and keep them. And that person is Merls.

Furlow
11-04-2023, 09:12 PM
Y'all are idiots. He quit on us & hates to recruit. Now you have to recruit every decent player every year.

DownwardDawg
11-04-2023, 09:14 PM
Y'all are idiots. He quit on us & hates to recruit. Now you have to recruit every decent player every year.

Not agreeing with them, but you have it wrong. You don't recruit anymore. You buy players.

Furlow
11-04-2023, 09:18 PM
You are correct.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 09:21 PM
Yes, given NIL he?d be better here than before IMO.

We have to get our NIL act together, but that is on us.

Bothrops
11-04-2023, 09:27 PM

We don't have the patience and he hates recruiting. He wouldn't have as long to develop players now because of the portal.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 09:28 PM
Feel free to name all the crappy players we had with him??he hates recruiting?.

He hated it so much we had the best players we?ve ever had went to #1 ranking.

I?m sure we can find someone who loves recruiting.

TrapGame
11-04-2023, 09:30 PM
I'd love to see what Mullen could do with Parson.

Bothrops
11-04-2023, 09:31 PM
Feel free to name all the crappy players we had with him??he hates recruiting?.

He hated it so much we had the best players we?ve ever had went to #1 ranking.

I?m sure we can find someone who loves recruiting.

That's because he had 3+ years with guys. It's a different era now.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 09:33 PM
Chris Jones
Willie Gay
Jeffrey Simmons
Dak

Worst recruiting ever.

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 09:33 PM
This is the equivalent of going back to your HS GF after she's played the field...and left you in the dust. It'd be one thing if she was still a smoke-show, but in Dan's case, he's a blimp smoking Newports in the hometown bar telling glory days stories...and in Dan's case, those stories are about how shitty of a recruiter he was, lol.

Jesus, guys.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 09:35 PM
It?s nothing like that.

He took Florida to the SEC championship.

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 09:36 PM
Chris Jones
Willie Gay
Jeffrey Simmons
Dak

Worst recruiting ever.

Some things are bound to happen. Some things happen outside the coaching staff. And some things the coaches legit find a diamond in the rough.

Bothrops
11-04-2023, 09:37 PM
Chris Jones
Willie Gay
Jeffrey Simmons
Dak

Worst recruiting ever.

He was here 9 ****ing seasons. Of course he got players

Quaoarsking
11-04-2023, 09:43 PM
I don't like comparing coaches to spouses. I compare them to coworkers, and I would rehire most people from my department who've moved on to other jobs over the last decade.

I have an emotional connection to my wife that I don't have to any coach (though Leach was close) or coworker.

Bothrops
11-04-2023, 09:44 PM
It?s nothing like that.

I will say firing him was the worst decision Florida made. He would have had a quarterback by now and they'd be rolling along nicely.

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 09:46 PM
It?s nothing like that.

In a weak East where he still lost 4 games on the year with his best QB at Florida.

Look...I don't like shitting on Dan. I miss those days. BUT I'll go to my grave crediting Dak over Dan for that run.

At the end of the day Dan thought he was better than us. So much so that he whiffed on numerous recruiting opportunities, didn't even try with others, constantly sabotaged our seasons with job shopping, had a revolving door with DCs, and left us in the lurch with our best team ever to go to Florida and show the world what we all already knew....

All that being said, Dan showed that you could win here with just A LITTLE bit of effort. Imagine if he he gave 100% Imagine what a coach that had Dan's ambition, but love/desire, to make it be HERE could do?!

Also, our coaches, admin, and FANS better wake the **** up about NIL or we are destined to be the Vandy of the West. And it'll happen a lot quicker than you expect. If we don't fix this, at least moderately, anything else we do is for naught.

Biguglyjoe
11-04-2023, 09:47 PM
In a weak East where he still lost 4 games on the year with his best QB at Florida.

Look...I don't like shitting on Dan. I miss those days. BUT I'll go to my grave crediting Dak over Dan for that run.

At the end of the day Dan thought he was better than us. So much so that he whiffed on numerous recruiting opportunities, didn't even try with others, constantly sabotaged our seasons with job shopping, had a revolving door with DCs, and left us in the lurch with our best team ever to go to Florida and show the world what we all already knew....

All that being said, Dan showed that you could win here with just A LITTLE bit of effort. Imagine if he he gave 100% Imagine what a coach that had Dan's ambition, but love/desire, to make it be HERE could do?!

Also, our coaches, admin, and FANS better wake the **** up about NIL or we are destined to be the Vandy of the West. And it'll happen a lot quicker than you expect. If we don't fix this, at least moderately, anything else we do is for naught.

Spot on

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 09:49 PM
Btw...

"I love this offense" - C34 a couple weeks ago

Apoplectic
11-04-2023, 10:09 PM
you girls fail to comprehend the news cfb world - there?s no more recruiting. your team talent is based on your budget and your head coach. the best coaches will win when adequately funded. the old days of mediocre coaches winning with superior talent is over- see saban and freeze. mullen is an above mediocre coach

EdwardDrayton
11-04-2023, 10:13 PM
This is the equivalent of going back to your HS GF after she's played the field...and left you in the dust. It'd be one thing if she was still a smoke-show, but in Dan's case, he's a blimp smoking Newports in the hometown bar telling glory days stories...and in Dan's case, those stories are about how shitty of a recruiter he was, lol.

Jesus, guys.

^^^^^^^

Coursesuper
11-04-2023, 10:21 PM

Jesus, guys.
That was fantastic. Well done.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 10:25 PM
What is the evidence that Mullen is a bad recruiter?

Think of the players we HAD and compare to the players we HAVE.

Come on, use your head.

cheewgumm
11-04-2023, 10:30 PM
So instead of going back to our old high school girlfriend we went to Moorhead (no pun intended)

Hahahahah

The new beauty.

That was like leaving your girl and getting with a homeless monkey.

I don?t trust you guys to pick a new coach.

Just beg Mullen to come back.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-04-2023, 10:34 PM
So instead of going back to our old high school girlfriend we went to Moorhead (no pun intended)

Hahahahah

The new beauty.

If we have to beg a coach to come here then we are already setting ourselves up for failure. We need someone that wants to be here not someone that just wants to collect a paycheck. I’d take Mullen back but I ain’t begging his ass to come. If anything he should beg to come back I hope he saw the grass isn’t always greener….

Bothrops
11-04-2023, 10:38 PM
What is the evidence that Mullen is a bad recruiter?

Think of the players we HAD and compare to the players we HAVE.

Come on, use your head.

Those guys aren't coming to MSU anymore. We can't afford them, and even if we could we still wouldn't go all in to get them. Winning in football is not a huge priority here.

BuckyIsAB****
11-04-2023, 10:43 PM
Btw...

Damn

dawgday166
11-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Btw...

I love it too. It's awesome!!

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 10:53 PM

Hahahahah

The new beauty.

Uh....we didn't dump Dan....he dumped us....and had been trying to for years prior; we just didn't have confidence in ourselves/love ourselves enough to tell the MFer to **** or walk, lol.

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 10:54 PM
Damn

Mfer gonna catch some strays with his bullshit.

EdwardDrayton
11-04-2023, 11:07 PM
My gosh. What is this love affair with Mullen?!!?

Wonder if they kneel when they eat Conecuh sausage also?!!?

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 11:11 PM
My gosh. What is this love affair with Mullen?!!?

Wonder if they kneel when they eat Conecuh sausage also?!!?

My family and I light a St. Stans candle every time we eat Bryan hotdogs....especially when we dine in an empty Hump.***

EdwardDrayton
11-04-2023, 11:14 PM
My family and I light a St. Stans candle every time we eat Bryan hotdogs....especially when we dine in an empty Hump.***

LOL!!!

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-04-2023, 11:50 PM
Chris Jones
Willie Gay
Jeffrey Simmons
Dak

Worst recruiting ever.

Preston Smith
McKinney
Slay
Banks
McPhee
Sweat
De'Runnya
Fred Ross
Autry
Bennie Brown

BeardoMSU
11-04-2023, 11:54 PM
Preston Smith
McKinney
Slay
Banks
McPhee
Sweat
De'Runnya
Fred Ross
Autry
Bennie Brown

No one said Dan and Co. couldn't develop undervalued talent....

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-05-2023, 12:04 AM

Listen Im not totally on board for trying to bring back Dan. However, it wasn't about developing undervalued talent. It was about seeing potential in the first place. A perfect example is Cody Schrader at Mizzou. He came from Truman State (where ever that is) and is now the second leading rusher in the SEC. Dan could see talent where no one else could (Fitz is a great example of this). That kind of eye could be incredibly valuable in this NIL era.

parabrave
11-05-2023, 12:09 AM

And with one of the lowest NIL accounts in the SEC, according to some, Thats exactly what we need,

Turfdawg67
11-05-2023, 12:14 AM
Oh my, beaten wife syndrome is strong with these folks...

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 12:20 AM
The is ZERO evidence that Dan would recruit well, wants to be here, would not shop himself around to the point of distraction after week 10 every year, that he would be able to utilize the portal or do anything different.

Hiring him back would be yet again another dumb Mississippi State football move at a time where we should be trying to figure out ways to increase our NIL and improve our recruiting resources instead of "Hey! This guy can find a diamond in the rough!"- ie cut corners where we don't need to be cutting them.

BeardoMSU
11-05-2023, 12:32 AM
The is ZERO evidence that Dan would recruit well, wants to be here, would not shop himself around to the point of distraction after week 10 every year, that he would be able to utilize the portal or do anything different.

Hiring him back would be yet again another dumb Mississippi State football move at a time where we should be trying to figure out ways to increase our NIL and improve our recruiting resources instead of "Hey! This guy can find a diamond in the rough!"- ie cut corners where we don't need to be cutting them.

Yep.

The. Ship. Has. Sailed.

cheewgumm
11-05-2023, 12:34 AM
Define ?recruit well?.

If you have good players (Dak, Chris Jones, Jeff Simmons), who recruited them?

Look, if you don?t want Mullen? Great? but saying he can?t recruit after all the great players we had is idiotic.

cheewgumm
11-05-2023, 12:38 AM
If there is zero evidence that Mullen would recruit well (after he already did it HERE), then there is zero evidence anyone will do anything.

What do you need for evidence if we can?t use history?

DeputyDawg94
11-05-2023, 12:47 AM
I’d take him back. Other than JWS glory days he was by far the most entertaining/exciting coach we’ve ever had.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 12:53 AM

If we even talked to Dan, the first thing he'd have to agree to is a buyout so big that it's just not realistic that he could get hired away. I think it's a nonstarter without that. He fully commits to staying here long-term, or he doesn't get the job.

DeputyDawg94
11-05-2023, 12:55 AM
He learned that sometimes the grass isn’t actually greener it’s just freshly spray painted.

DeputyDawg94
11-05-2023, 12:57 AM
If we even talked to Dan, the first thing he'd have to agree to is a buyout so big that it's just not realistic that he could get hired away. I think it's a nonstarter without that. He fully commits to staying here long-term, or he doesn't get the job.

Absolutely!!!

parabrave
11-05-2023, 01:02 AM
He learned that sometimes the grass isn’t actually greener it’s just freshly spray painted.

Yep/ He learned sometimes its better to be a big fish in a small pond.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 01:26 AM
Define ?recruit well?.

If you have good players (Dak, Chris Jones, Jeff Simmons), who recruited them?

Look, if you don?t want Mullen? Great? but saying he can?t recruit after all the great players we had is idiotic.

He had plenty of hits and misses. Like anyone else. Especially over what? A 9-10 year period that he was here.

But because he allowed his country club to be lazy in recruiting he never maximized our recruiting.

We had major holes at different position groups while he was here- and that was his fault.

See the offensive line in 2015. We started all WR's under 6'0" tall one year. We've had to switch DT's and TE's to offensive line because we lacked numbers in different years. And one of those years was after he had been with us five years.

I mean Kirby Smart said he didn't like recruiting last week- do you think he is an idiot?

dawgday166
11-05-2023, 01:31 AM
One thing I'm leery of with Mullen is his ability to get DCs. And one thing that used to piss me off a lot at him is he'd throw his DC under the bus real quick, but would never be critical of his offense when it was bad. And there were times it was bad.

The thing about Mullen is he wins the ones he should for the most part. Big upsets probably ain't gonna happen. He also ain't a good come from behind coach or 2 min drill coach.

But his teams always play pretty darn good D (except Sirmon) and he can really develop lesser players.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 01:48 AM
One thing I'm leery of with Mullen is his ability to get DCs. And one thing that used to piss me off a lot at him is he'd throw his DC under the bus real quick, but would never be critical of his offense when it was bad. And there were times it was bad.

The thing about Mullen is he wins the ones he should for the most part. Big upsets probably ain't gonna happen. He also ain't a good come from behind coach or 2 min drill coach.

But his teams always play pretty darn good D (except Sirmon) and he can really develop lesser players.

Exactly. I mean we might as well stump for Jackie Sherrill right? He showed he could be successful here too.**

I just don't understand why any fan would just assume that Dan magically improved his flaws as a coach after being fired from Florida?

Reminds me a bit of 2001 and Ron Polk's batteries are re-charged.

Todd4State
11-05-2023, 01:49 AM

Exactly because he will never agree to it. Because of his huge ego which loves the offseason where his name is mentioned for other jobs being his favorite part of the job.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2023, 02:00 AM
The mullen talk needs to stop. He?s not giving up the gig he has now because he is chasing his kid around the country playing golf and the network gig gives him the time he needs with him. He might get back into coaching when his kids are grown, maybe. He?s making a ton of money doesn?t work a lot of hours and doesn?t have to recruit or deal with boosters.

parabrave
11-05-2023, 02:02 AM
The mullen talk needs to stop. He?s not giving up the gig he has now because he is chasing his kid around the country playing golf and the network gig gives him the time he needs with him. He might get back into coaching when his kids are grown, maybe. He?s making a ton of money doesn?t work a lot of hours and doesn?t have to recruit or deal with boosters.

Hey CC did you coach a kid from Bassfield now playing for LA Tech?

Commercecomet24
11-05-2023, 02:09 AM
Hey CC did you coach a kid from Bassfield now playing for LA Tech?

You talking about Crosby? If that?s him I didn?t coach him but know him pretty well.

parabrave
11-05-2023, 02:39 AM
You talking about Crosby? If that?s him I didn?t coach him but know him pretty well.

They call him AD? Met him and his family today in Biloxi. He has a little cousin we need to start recruiting for the OLine.

sleepy dawg
11-05-2023, 08:06 AM
Dan lost his fire. The great coach we had for the first half of his career doesn't exist anymore. He doesn't have the fire. The fire that made him what he was. The read option is tougher to run now too than it was then. Teams have figured out how to more successfully play against it and he doesn't have the ability to change....

Bringing dan back is Polk 2.0. He'd come here for fun and the heck of it and he'd lose.

msstate7
11-05-2023, 08:20 AM
Dan lost his fire. The great coach we had for the first half of his career doesn't exist anymore. He doesn't have the fire. The fire that made him what he was. The read option is tougher to run now too than it was then. Teams have figured out how to more successfully play against it and he doesn't have the ability to change....

Bringing dan back is Polk 2.0. He'd come here for fun and the heck of it and he'd lose.

I don't think mullen would be interested, so it's moot anyway, but I do wonder how you measure fire. Is he your patient on BetterHelp or something?

PGHBulldogBG
11-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Mullen did a tremendous job here and I am thankful for how fun he made Miss State football for 8 years. At the same time, I am not confident he could win at the same rate he did prior to NIL here. Im really not confident any coach can win here and I really don?t know how our NIL situation can get much better barring a miracle. We have the smallest fanbase in the SEC outside of Vandy and smallest budget. While it?s false to say we are poor, compared to our competition, we are extremely poor in all areas. Our alumni just don?t seem to commit to football the way other fans do. Part of that is probably because we traditionally never had a good football program, but another part of it is the University itself getting the students more invested. I came from Pennsylvania to go to Miss State, and it was unreal how many kids in my dorm went home every weekend. I had friends at Ole Miss, Bama and Auburn and that was never a thing. My high school friends that went local never did that either. Maybe it?s because of the hunting and a lot of State students being more into outdoors stuff and various things. We just do a poor job of marketing the school and having activities for students. I know Stricklin and Byrne tried to make things better, but they are really our only 2 ADs that tried to market and get better student commitment.

Walkerhill
11-05-2023, 09:19 AM

This does not make any sense at all. Dan won 9 games in his second year with Chris Relf. He won 8 with Nick Fitz.

Dak was an extremely raw passer when he arrived and he progressed every year, like almost every qb under Dan.

They way he left was trash, and it totally makes sense some fans would not want him back. And he was guilty of the job shopping, recruiting, arrogance, and whatever else. But don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. He won. And he would be more likely vs. less to win again (and maybe even return as a more effective and more mature version of Dan Mullinz - or if nothing else, come back without Hevesy and friends).

Others may realize where our program is right now, beggars can?t be choosers. With the SEC getting more and more difficult, we are on a trajectory to perennial punching bag unless we move decisively now.

He would win big under NIL. He would not have to recruit high school players, he would instead seek value in the transfer portal. He could still develop players multiple years, just after their 1 time transfer as sophomores/juniors. Guy was made for the NIL era. He could get a transfer quarterback ready and winning immediately. Most coaches can?t do that. And after he does it a few times he will be a destination coach for NFL prospect qbs needing a chance to push to that level.

The best comp for him as a coach in this current era is (hate to say it) Lane Kiffin.

Coursesuper
11-05-2023, 09:29 AM

This is not going to happen. He will never coach for MSU again. To many bridges burned down for this.

basedog
11-05-2023, 09:32 AM
I doubt we would go after DM nor do I think he would want to come back to Msu. I like DM but I don't see him in Maroon again.

msstate7
This does not make any sense at all. Dan won 9 games in his second year with Chris Relf. He won 8 with Nick Fitz.

Dak was an extremely raw passer when he arrived and he progressed every year, like almost every qb under Dan.

They way he left was trash, and it totally makes sense some fans would not want him back. And he was guilty of the job shopping, recruiting, arrogance, and whatever else. But don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. He won. And he would be more likely vs. less to win again (and maybe even return as a more effective and more mature version of Dan Mullinz - or if nothing else, come back without Hevesy and friends).

Others may realize where our program is right now, beggars can?t be choosers. With the SEC getting more and more difficult, we are on a trajectory to perennial punching bag unless we move decisively now.

He would win big under NIL. He would not have to recruit high school players, he would instead seek value in the transfer portal. He could still develop players multiple years, just after their 1 time transfer as sophomores/juniors. Guy was made for the NIL era. He could get a transfer quarterback ready and winning immediately. Most coaches can?t do that. And after he does it a few times he will be a destination coach for NFL prospect qbs needing a chance to push to that level.

The best comp for him as a coach in this current era is (hate to say it) Lane Kiffin.

Mullen's eye for unrefined talent is very good, so good point on him finding cheap talent in the portal. Not gonna happen, but I wouldn't be opposed.

Really Clark?
I loved a lot of what Mullen did in putting a good foundation for our program. But I don't believe in backtracking. Still pissed that it only took a year or so for Moorehead to tear down a lot of that.

StarkVegasSteve
11-05-2023, 09:39 AM
Dan did one thing that no other coach in my lifetime, outside of JWS until 2001, has consistently done. He united the fan base and even more impressive he kept them united for 9 years.

Moorhead-Lost the fan base after Game 4

Leach- Probably closest to Mullen in uniting the fan base. No one was ever completely off but everyone was never completely on board like they were with Dan.

Arnett- Lost some of the fan base after Game 2 and lost the rest of it after Game 3

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 09:46 AM
Dan did one thing that no other coach in my lifetime, outside of JWS until 2001, has consistently done. He united the fan base and even more impressive he kept them united for 9 years.

Leach- Probably closest to Mullen in uniting the fan base. No one was ever completely off but everyone was never completely on board like they were with Dan.

Arnett- Lost some of the fan base after Game 2 and lost the rest of it after Game 3

I can agree with that. I will say, the fan base was so hungry for anyone that was better that when Dan was hired that it made it easier to get behind him initially. Then we could see how much better we were playing that first year. We were energized and bought in.

Walkerhill
11-05-2023, 11:01 AM
I can agree with that. I will say, the fan base was so hungry for anyone that was better that when Dan was hired that it made it easier to get behind him initially. Then we could see how much better we were playing that first year. We were energized and bought in.

Every college football fan base is hungry all the time. That is most of the problem in keeping them aligned/united.

The fan base was united around Dan because he played a smash mouth Mississippi State style but yet was not vanilla like the Croom and Sherrill. And he won.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 11:15 AM
Every college football fan base is hungry all the time. That is most of the problem in keeping them aligned/united.

The fan base was united around Dan because he played a smash mouth Mississippi State style but yet was not vanilla like the Croom and Sherrill. And he won.

I don't know about that. A lot of fanbases have expectations of winning but that's not a hunger to win.

Scheme didn't matter, he came in off of a national title and so the fan base was bought in immediately because he had hardware to back it up. He gigged the school up north off the bat even though they had just embarrassed us. It was the right fit at the right time. That means a lot too.

Quaoarsking
11-05-2023, 11:21 AM

Why does "smash mouth" need to be "Mississippi State style" ? I couldn't care less about what scheme we run as long as we win.

Even this dreadfully boring Arnett offense would be fine if we were 7-2 like any reasonably good coach would have us right now.

StarkVegasSteve
11-05-2023, 11:25 AM
Why does "smash mouth" need to be "Mississippi State style" ? I couldn't care less about what scheme we run as long as we win.

Even this dreadfully boring Arnett offense would be fine if we were 7-2 like any reasonably good coach would have us right now.

Because some in our fan base, not all but probably a majority, believe that RTGDF is the only way to win. I am like you. I could less give a flying 17 if we throw it 50 times or run it 50 times as long as we win.

SteelCurtain74
11-05-2023, 12:05 PM

Dan also united the fanbase by embracing and even ramping up the in state rivalry. JWS did that as well.

Croom, Moorhead and Arnett didn't and don't seem to care. Leach seemed ambivalent about it at best.

One may argue that the rivalry had become too toxic and maybe it had but whomever we may get, should Arnett be fired, needs to have some disdain for the school up north both on the field and in recruiting.

Walkerhill
11-05-2023, 05:09 PM
I don't know about that. A lot of fanbases have expectations of winning but that's not a hunger to win.

Scheme didn't matter, he came in off of a national title and so the fan base was bought in immediately because he had hardware to back it up. He gigged the school up north off the bat even though they had just embarrassed us. It was the right fit at the right time. That means a lot too.

Name one SEC (excluding Vanderbilt) or respectable program in the south that is not hungry to win.

It may be different in other regions but where we will be recruiting and competing the fan bases are all rabid.

One way to confirm this is if we beat another SEC program they are guaranteed to be message boards calling to fire their coach because they lost to State.

Walkerhill
11-05-2023, 05:12 PM
If we have a vocal contingent that will not even accept a legendary and successful coach like Leach because he didn?t run, then by definition we can?t be united by a coach that does not run the football.

And our best teams and our heritage have been in power football.

I don?t care either way uniting our fanbase around a coach with another style is a longer road with far less margin.

Really Clark?
11-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Name one SEC (excluding Vanderbilt) or respectable program in the south that is not hungry to win.

It may be different in other regions but where we will be recruiting and competing the fan bases are all rabid.

One way to confirm this is if we beat another SEC program they are guaranteed to be message boards calling to fire their coach because they lost to State.

Several but you are mistaking a hungry fan base desperate to win for a rabid fan base with an expectation to win. We didn't have expectations to win but we had a hunger to win when Dan first came in and we bought in.