PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grubb

KB21
11-02-2023, 06:37 PM
https://realdawghuskies.com/__trashed/

Grubb is the guy to go after.

KB21
11-02-2023, 06:50 PM
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/how-uws-ryan-grubb-a-former-hog-farmer-became-one-of-the-best-offensive-coordinators-in-college-football/

Former hog farmer. Those of that feel Zach fits so well because he has chickens should like that.

RiverCityDawg
11-02-2023, 06:54 PM
https://realdawghuskies.com/__trashed/

Grubb is the guy to go after.

We could probably do worse, but we have no idea if he can run a program, much less an SEC program. I see him as being a bit like Lebby except Lebby has been in this league and seems like a much better fit.

I would be excited but nervous as hell. High ceiling, basement level floor.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 07:00 PM
If we fire arnett this season, I say it's a 10% chance we hire a cood. It almost certainly will be a HC at a G5 school

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 07:00 PM
I like the offense they are running but I'd rather have someone with SEC experience. Preferably they have ran an offense at different spots. Lebby, Longo...if we go offensive coordinator.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 07:01 PM
If we fire arnett this season, I say it's a 10% chance we hire a cood. It almost certainly will be a HC at a G5 school

I think that's the most likely play, if it's the right guy.

DownwardDawg
11-02-2023, 07:05 PM

I agree.

KB21
11-02-2023, 07:11 PM
I think a G5 coach raises our floor more than our ceiling.

TrapGame
11-02-2023, 07:13 PM

If we wind up with Grubb the coaching search is a failure. We need a guy with head coaching experience. There are three or four really good coaches in the G5 arena that would damn near be home runs for us. Grubb would not.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 07:17 PM
I think a G5 coach raises our floor more than our ceiling.

You change your mind more than a woman. You've brought up and championed about 57 other coaches at one point or another. You were all about Helton not long ago and Herman

KB21
11-02-2023, 07:28 PM
You change your mind more than a woman. You've brought up and championed about 57 other coaches at one point or another. You were all about Helton not long ago and Herman

No. I’ve always wanted a coach with huge upside. I’d be fine with Herman or Helton. I like Grubb and Lebby. I want a coach who isn’t going to play what I call big, dumb offense where you just line up and try to impose your will on the defense.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 07:39 PM
We aren't bringing in an assistant from the west coat. You can forget that.

KB21
11-02-2023, 07:49 PM
We aren't bringing in an assistant from the west coat. You can forget that.

Cool. So you want to be eliminate the OC for the team that has the most productive offense in country.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 07:58 PM
I don't usually engage in these future HC discussions especially when the current coach hasn't been fired yet BUT ... NO on Grubb. Risk level is at JoMo level looking at his coaching stops/stints. Very HIGH RISK. Not even close to enough experience and not even close to understanding the SEC at all from where he's been. This is maybe a slightly higher notch than Barbay.

Santiago
11-02-2023, 07:59 PM
If the Herman types are not available for us, then we might be revisiting some of KBs alternate guys.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:02 PM
If the Herman types are not available for us, then we might be revisiting some of KBs alternate guys.

Well then IMO ... I make the Herman types turn us down first. And then if they do, take a swing at Mullen maybe first.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:04 PM

Some of his alternates guys? They have all been his first choice at one point or another. Lol

Santiago
11-02-2023, 08:09 PM
Well then IMO ... I make the Herman types turn us down first. And then if they do, take a swing at Mullen maybe first.

Mullen to me is going to be PolkII. He is lazy at this point, has no fire. hell he barely had fire after the Dak season. He was trying to get out of here each year after that.

Santiago
11-02-2023, 08:10 PM
Some of his alternates guys? They have all been his first choice at one point or another. Lol

Would love to stumble onto a Heupel type coach.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:14 PM
Mullen to me is going to be PolkII. He is lazy at this point, has no fire. hell he barely had fire after the Dak season. He was trying to get out of here each year after that.

Not necessarily arguing but I'm also hearing a few things (that I have no clue are true or not), that he seems to be somewhat active on X and some other social media interacting with MS State people. Not sure ... don't know.

ETA: Meaning ... maybe there is a little drive left in him and he knows what he can do at MSU and if he does that, he's probably here until he gets ready to retire (if he wants to be).

I would rather get a Herman type and would try my best to do that. If we go full OC type, then many years as one and someone who has worked under a very good coach at a very good program.

As Homedog said tho ... it's a crapshoot. MSU is a really difficult job for many reasons. And expectations are high. I do think that our fans might have some patience tho with a quality hire with a pretty proven track record. Probably not tho LOL SMH.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:16 PM
Would love to stumble onto a Heupel type coach.

Well if I'm going to stumble into someone, how bout the next Saban or Smart? They may only stay for 3-4 years but with the new playoff structure coming...let's dream big if we are going to dream.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:20 PM
Cool. So you want to be eliminate the OC for the team that has the most productive offense in country.

That would be lsu if like traditional (total and scoring) or Michigan if you like FEI

HoopsDawg
11-02-2023, 08:26 PM
So far, Herman is the only name that intrigued me. Maybe Lebby.

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:27 PM
If we are focusing on coaches that know the SEC, then we are screwed. There isn't a single offensive coordinator in the SEC right now that screams potential great head coach. If you look at offensive coordinators nationally, you have:
Ryan Grubb at Washington
Garrett Riley at Clemson
Jeff Lebby at Oklahoma
Will Stein at Oregon
Brian Hartline at Ohio State
Sherrone Moore at Michigan
Zach Kittley at Texas Tech
Collin Klein at Kansas State
Andy Kotelnecki at Kansas
Kendal Briles at TCU
Ben Arbuckle at Washington State
Mike Yurcich at Penn State
Alex Atkins at Florida State
Phil Longo at Wisconsin
Brian Lindgren at Oregon State

I'd look at all of them before I looked at an SEC OC.

G5 offensive minded head coaches:
Tom Herman, FAU
Clay Helton, Georgia Southern
Jamey Chadwell, Liberty
Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky
Jeff Traylor, UTSA

Of these, Helton and Herman would be my top two.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 08:28 PM

No, I'd eliminate the guy that's followed the other around and never recruited the Southeast. He's not up for any jobs either.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:33 PM
One of my top criteria too is ... guys that can develop and know how to handle QBs. 3 and low 4* QBs is what I'm talking about. They know what to look for in lower rated QBs when recruiting and know how to develop it.

Urban can, Herman can, Mullen can, Kiffin can, and not sure of others but that would be high on my attributes list. Or he would bring an OC who can and has done so.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:35 PM
If we go OC, Kendal briles is my preference

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:35 PM
If we are focusing on coaches that know the SEC, then we are screwed. There isn't a single offensive coordinator in the SEC right now that screams potential great head coach. If you look at offensive coordinators nationally, you have:
Ryan Grubb at Washington
Garrett Riley at Clemson
Jeff Lebby at Oklahoma
Will Stein at Oregon
Brian Hartline at Ohio State
Sherrone Moore at Michigan
Zach Kittley at Texas Tech
Collin Klein at Kansas State
Andy Kotelnecki at Kansas
Kendal Briles at TCU
Ben Arbuckle at Washington State
Mike Yurcich at Penn State
Alex Atkins at Florida State
Phil Longo at Wisconsin
Brian Lindgren at Oregon State

I'd look at all of them before I looked at an SEC OC.

G5 offensive minded head coaches:
Tom Herman, FAU
Clay Helton, Georgia Southern
Jamey Chadwell, Liberty
Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky
Jeff Traylor, UTSA

Of these, Helton and Herman would be my top two.

I don't think anyone is strictly saying SEC coordinators but coordinators with SEC experience, especially SEC coordinator experience would be on a more preferred list. Lebby, Longo, Briles. But you are skipping Mike Denbrook, he is a very good OC at LSU. Has done good work with QB's as well.

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:38 PM
No, I'd eliminate the guy that's followed the other around and never recruited the Southeast. He's not up for any jobs either.

Yet, if he had taken the Alabama job when Nick offered it to him last year, that would have made him a better candidate? Grubb may be the highest paid OC in college football. Washington is paying him $2 million per season.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:39 PM
Yet, if he had taken the Alabama job when Nick offered it to him last year, that would have made him a better candidate? Grubb may be the highest paid OC in college football. Washington is paying him $2 million per season.

I would say yes. Working under saban is good for the resume

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:40 PM
I don't think anyone is strictly saying SEC coordinators but coordinators with SEC experience, especially SEC coordinator experience would be on a more preferred list. Lebby, Longo, Briles. But you are skipping Mike Denbrook, he is a very good OC at LSU. Has done good work with QB's as well.

Denbrock is also 59 years old. I'm not hiring a 59 year old first time head coach.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:41 PM

He learns how to run a program. See Kirby Smart.

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:42 PM
I think what it boils down to is the fact that Grubb believes in throwing the football. Washington throws it more than 65% of the time. We got to get someone that is going to be a big dumb offense guy. How about Mike Bobo? We already have his OL coach, who's a big dumb offense guy.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:43 PM
He learns how to run a program. See Kirby Smart.

I'm sure it helped lane's career also

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:44 PM
I'm sure it helped lane's career also

Lane ain't stupid. I don't think he liked working for Saban at all, but he also knew he'd learn a lot too. And yea, it helped Lane a good bit IMO.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:46 PM
Denbrock is also 59 years old. I'm not hiring a 59 year old first time head coach.

He would be more qualified to be a HC over Arbuckle, Riley and Kittley. They are not ready to be HC's and struggling as OC this year. I'd consider Curt Cignetti before them, 62 is long in the tooth but he is at least a winner and the same age as Coach Leach would have been this year.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:48 PM
I think what it boils down to is the fact that Grubb believes in throwing the football. Washington throws it more than 65% of the time. We got to get someone that is going to be a big dumb offense guy. How about Mike Bobo? We already have his OL coach, who's a big dumb offense guy.

That had absolutely ZERO to do with my statement. I had no freakin clue how much he threw the football. He has LESS than 2 years as a P5 OC and he's on his 5th year as an OC. This is WORSE than Zach's situation. Quit being a dumbass.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:49 PM

No it doesn't. Quit trying to post narratives that are false whenever someone takes a differing view point on someone you bring up.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:50 PM
That had absolutely ZERO to do with my statement. I had no freakin clue how much he threw the football. He has LESS than 2 years as a P5 OC and he's on his 5th year as an OC. This is WORSE than Zach's situation. Quit being a dumbass.

He's just makes up false narratives when someone takes a different view point.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:51 PM

KB really likes McDaniel of dolphins, so I think KB thinks a great, young OC will automatically work. The nfl is different than college though.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:53 PM
He's just makes up false narratives when someone takes a different view point.

I've noticed that over many moons now.

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:53 PM

The issue with Zach Arnett is his archaic approach to offense, not his experience level.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 08:54 PM

He was never going to Alabama. He can't pull his head out of another man's ass. That's a big red flag. If he's so great, he's not scared the break off on his own.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:54 PM
KB really likes McDaniel of dolphins, so I think KB thinks a great, young OC will automatically work. The nfl is different than college though.

If I have a Urban, Mullen, Leach, or similar as a HC, then a young OC might be ok since they can guide and direct them.

TrapGame
11-02-2023, 08:55 PM

Yeah, Denbrock has had several opportunities to be the head man in his career. I doubt he wants to make that kind of move at 59.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 08:55 PM
KB, I'm worried you're going to have a stroke over all this

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:56 PM
Oh, it's very clear that coaches who dare to build their offense around the passing game are shunned on this board.

SpaceBully
11-02-2023, 08:57 PM
Will he be available for 2025?

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:57 PM
Oh, it's very clear that coaches who dare to build their offense around the passing game are shunned on this board.

Naw, but thanks for lying again.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:00 PM
Yeah, Denbrock has had several opportunities to be the head man in his career. I doubt he wants to make that kind of move at 59.

Hmmm ... Lots of experience. He has done a helluva job with Daniels too. I kinda like this guy. And you can't argue with LSU's O this year.

ETA: I was thinking I was replying to Clark but if he don't want a job like HC, then we sure shouldn't hire him then.

KB21
11-02-2023, 09:02 PM
He was never going to Alabama. He can't pull his head out of another man's ass. That's a big red flag. If he's so great, he's not scared the break off on his own.

He didn't take the Alabama job because Nick Saban wanted him to run Nick Saban's offense, not the one he and Kalen DeBoer have developed over 15 years. That's why Nick has Todd Reesing instead and Grubb got a bump in pay.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 09:07 PM
Hmmm ... Lots of experience. He has done a helluva job with Daniels too. I kinda like this guy. And you can't argue with LSU's O this year.

His years at Cin as OC were good, after his first season.

TrapGame
11-02-2023, 09:09 PM
Out of the ghost of Christmas past file:

Rich Rod has Jacksonville State looking good. Some people are talking about him upsetting South Carolina this weekend. There's some speculation he might get another shot at a bigger program if he pulls the upset. He's not on my list but he might be on someone's.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:11 PM
His years at Cin as OC were good, after his first season.

Without looking it up I kinda remembered he was good at Cincy. I love (and hated when playing us) how he's handled Daniels. I said before the year he was best QB in SEC and may be the best in the country. He's a playa now.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 09:14 PM

Rich Rod has Jacksonville State looking good. Some people are talking about him upsetting South Carolina this weekend. There's some speculation he might get another shot at a bigger program if he pulls the upset. He's not on my list but he might be on someone's.

Rich rod certainly isn't my choice, but the melt from KB, blacksails, and Santiago would make it entertaining at least

HoopsDawg
11-02-2023, 09:22 PM

Maybe throw in Joe Brady.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:23 PM
Rich rod certainly isn't my choice, but the melt from KB, blacksails, and Santiago would make it entertaining at least

I don't keep up with all the coaches everywhere but you mentioned Clawson back in earlier days. I like him but problem is he won a division in ACC in 2021 and he probably ain't leaving Wake now.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 09:26 PM
I don't keep up with all the coaches everywhere but you mentioned Clawson back in earlier days. I like him but problem is he won a division in ACC in 2021 and he probably ain't leaving Wake now.

I would love clawson. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be a candidate anywhere, so I've given up hope

BrunswickDawg
11-02-2023, 09:41 PM

We could do a helluva lot worse than Rich Rod by hiring a lot of the unknowns people are throwing around. Hiring is 50/50 shoot at best - and you are lessening those odds by giving some OC his break. The one thing I loved about the Leach decision was that we went out and got a dude. Same with Jackie. It brings credibility and shows commitment and it's makes a rebuild a whole lot easier.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 09:44 PM
We could do a helluva lot worse than Rich Rod by hiring a lot of the unknowns people are throwing around. Hiring is 50/50 shoot at best - and you are lessening those odds by giving some OC his break. The one thing I loved about the Leach decision was that we went out and got a dude. Same with Jackie. It brings credibility and shows commitment and it's makes a rebuild a whole lot easier.

I would go fritz over rich rod. Fritz on cusp of back-to-back NY6 bowl games

HoopsDawg
11-02-2023, 09:50 PM
If we hire Rich Rod, I'm done.

KB21
11-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Fritz is 63. He’s too much of a defense first, run the ball to control the clock, and win the kicking game coach.

He would raise the floor of the team, but the fact that he doesn’t have embrace modern football and passing the ball limits the ceiling. He’s not going to attract QBs and WRs, which is what you need to win.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 09:59 PM
Fritz is 63. He’s too much of a defense first, run the ball to control the clock, and win the kicking game coach.

He would raise the floor of the team, but the fact that he doesn’t have embrace modern football and passing the ball limits the ceiling. He’s not going to attract QBs and WRs, which is what you need to win.

Well except his QB will be highly sought after this portal season and had a 1000 yard WR in the NFL in 2021. Injured in 2022 and is not the same.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2023, 10:05 PM
Well except his QB will be highly sought after this portal season and had a 1000 yard WR in the NFL in 2021. Injured in 2022 and is not the same.

Apparently 2 million is the QBs asking price

Santiago
11-02-2023, 10:09 PM

Definitely so, but even the fact Saban wanted this guy says a whole lot about him

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 10:18 PM

I heard it was really high

msstate7
11-02-2023, 10:31 PM

LSU bound?

Quaoarsking
11-02-2023, 11:18 PM
If we hire Rich Rod, I'm done.

Why? He's been pretty successful at a lot of jobs and probably would be here too.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 12:02 AM
The issue with Zach Arnett is his archaic approach to offense, not his experience level.

Now I'm not going back and forth with you all day or week or whatever about this ... so if you wanna argue about it I'll just ignore it.

There are 2 main problems (possibly 3) with Zach.
1) His experience (and lack thereof).
2) He's seems to be listening to the wrong folks and/or he has 2 sets of folks pulling him in opposite directions and he ain't sure which way to go.
A possible 3rd) He's a DC and apparently he is tampering with the offense too much maybe. Don't know for sure tho and some supposed X and O genius on here might use that as an excuse for how our offense is running.

Personally I'm pert near positive #1 and #2 are the main problems.

But #1, his experience, is the main problem with Zach. Problem #1 is the main reason he's having problem #2. Gimme Fitz with an Aeris and read option but with WRs like Leach had in 21 and 22, they gonna get a lot of yards and a lot of points too.

Schemes are way secondary to someone who knows how to build and run a program successfully. That is the hard part and you only learn it thru a LOT of experience. That's why Mullen was able to do it. He had been with Urban a couple of times when he built successful programs. Leach and Mumme had built programs together before Leach ever went out on his own.

Bum Phillips said of Bear Bryant (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I know a lot of coaches that know more about X's and O's than Bear does, but I never met anyone who knows more about people. Bear can take his'n and beat your'n, and your'n and beat his'n".

And that's absolutely true for the most part. Some exceptions might be the #1 and #2 recruiters every year in current CFB. Saban himself has said what he does best is recruit. He still knows a lot about people tho.

So to sum up ... ain't no scheme in and of itself gonna magically make us an 8 to 10 win team. Period! The Coach and Coaching staff matter a lot too. I was a Leach fan for the culture and toughness he instilled, more than I was a pure AR fan.

BuckyIsAB****
11-03-2023, 12:37 AM
I would love clawson. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be a candidate anywhere, so I've given up hope

He has connections with Selmon

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:37 AM

It's not about being young- it's about being talented. If a 28 year old is a talented OC we should be interested in him. Typically MSU fans have been worried about "experience" with coaches like that instead of actually focusing on the body of work as a coach. And we're also talking about OC here- not head coach. Which is a major difference.

He's simply in over his head and he is surrounded by people that don't necessarily have his- or MSU's best interests at heart. A big issue is he is listening to the wrong people who aren't even as qualified as Arnett to make the decision. If someone had told him to hire someone that ran a modified AR or even a Veer and Shoot and a legit experienced DC we're more likely talking about an extension for Arnett than the various hot seat articles he is on.

I would go fritz over rich rod. Fritz on cusp of back-to-back NY6 bowl games

Fritz is loved at Tulane. He's a really good coach. And it's interesting because when Tulane hired him they thought he would run the triple option because he came from Georgia Southern but he evolved to a spread option type attack to more of a pro style attack.

I think it's buyer beware with Rich Rod. He is a great offensive mind but much like Leach he's not what he was 20 years ago. Right now offensively they're only averaging 2 more PPG than we are. And they're very much being carried by their defense. Which means we would probably be better off looking at his DC than him.

Now I'm not going back and forth with you all day or week or whatever about this ... so if you wanna argue about it I'll just ignore it.

2) He's seems to be listening to the wrong folks and/or he has 2 sets of folks pulling him in opposite directions and he ain't sure which way to go.
A possible 3rd) He's a DC and apparently he is tampering with the offense too much maybe. Don't know for sure tho and some supposed X and O genius on here might use that as an excuse for how our offense is running.

But #1, his experience, is the main problem with Zach. Problem #1 is the main reason he's having problem #2. Gimme Fitz with an Aeris and read option but with WRs like Leach had in 21 and 22, they gonna get a lot of yards and a lot of points too.

Schemes are way secondary to someone who knows how to build and run a program successfully. That is the hard part and you only learn it thru a LOT of experience. That's why Mullen was able to do it. He had been with Urban a couple of times when he built successful programs. Leach and Mumme had built programs together before Leach ever went out on his own.

Bum Phillips said of Bear Bryant (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I know a lot of coaches that know more about X's and O's than Bear does, but I never met anyone who knows more about people. Bear can take his'n and beat your'n, and your'n and beat his'n".

And that's absolutely true for the most part. Some exceptions might be the #1 and #2 recruiters every year in current CFB. Saban himself has said what he does best is recruit. He still knows a lot about people tho.

So to sum up ... ain't no scheme in and of itself gonna magically make us an 8 to 10 win team. Period! The Coach and Coaching staff matter a lot too. I was a Leach fan for the culture and toughness he instilled, more than I was a pure AR fan.

Great post as usual.

I will say that I would be fine with Lebby. He no doubt talks to Art Briles and has him as a resource. He has been around Heupel and Kiffin and has SEC experience. I'm pretty sure he would probably bring in Clement their OL coach and their TE coach Finley. I also think his offense is a good happy medium between the AR and the Caveman run the ball crowd.

If he can find a good DC- like poach SMU or Troy's DC- we could turn this around pretty quickly.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:38 AM
He has connections with Selmon

Selmon has a lot of connections from what I have heard. More than any AD we have ever had when it comes to football.

Which is why I am optimistic we make a great hire once Arnett leaves whenever that is.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-03-2023, 04:29 AM
Selmon has a lot of connections from what I have heard. More than any AD we have ever had when it comes to football.

Which is why I am optimistic we make a great hire once Arnett leaves whenever that is.
I think Arnett left at halftime of the Arizona game.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2023, 07:48 AM
I think Arnett left at halftime of the Arizona game.

Hahahaha!!!!!

KB21
11-03-2023, 08:05 AM

We can get the program builder that runs a boring offense that isn't attractive to skill position players, and we can continue to watch Ole Miss lap us with their exciting brand of football.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2023, 08:07 AM
I think it's buyer beware with Rich Rod. He is a great offensive mind but much like Leach he's not what he was 20 years ago. Right now offensively they're only averaging 2 more PPG than we are. And they're very much being carried by their defense. Which means we would probably be better off looking at his DC than him.

In principle, I don't disagree. You also have to keep in mind that this is Jax St. first year as a D1 football program - and they are top 65 in offense and top 25 in defense and are 7-2. That's impressive.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-03-2023, 08:31 AM
Washington has multiple NFL receivers and an NFL qb.. Not sure if this season is the best to judge how good their OC is.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 08:50 AM
Washington has multiple NFL receivers and an NFL qb.. Not sure if this season is the best to judge how good their OC is.

Moorhead 2.0?

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:58 AM
Moorhead 2.0?

Naw, I think he is better than that honestly. I would like to see him operate away from Washington and on his own though.

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 09:04 AM

His HC record Overall 153-138

KB21
11-03-2023, 09:22 AM

Clawson "GON RUN DAT BAWL".

TrapGame
11-03-2023, 09:26 AM
In principle, I don't disagree. You also have to keep in mind that this is Jax St. first year as a D1 football program - and they are top 65 in offense and top 25 in defense and are 7-2. That's impressive.

This was the discussion on SEC Radio(on XM) and it was heavily speculated that RR would be considered for several P5 jobs with Arkansas being one.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 09:27 AM

He's not a quick fix guy... throw out his first year at every stop and he's 140- 104 (.574). That's certainly not great, but when you look at where he's been, it looks better. He's won 10 or more at all 4 stops. He's on a 7-year bowl streak at wake, and wake is probably just as tough or tougher to win at than state. He's had his best players stolen during the transfer portal. He's a very good coach that's proven he can win at a big time talent deficit

msstate7
11-03-2023, 09:32 AM

WF smoked us in offensive FEI all 3 of leach's years here. WF was top 15 the last 2 seasons.

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
WF smoked us in offensive FEI all 3 of leach's years here. WF was top 15 the last 2 seasons.

What a horrible metric.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 10:58 AM
What a horrible metric.

Well if you prefer traditional scoring and total offense, WF smoked us in those also during leach's tenure

CaptainObvious
11-03-2023, 11:03 AM
Wake Forest used to be the Rice, Vandy, Northwestern of the ACC. They have a consistently better program than the SEC, B1G and Big 12 bottom feeders. But that didn?t happen consistently until Clawson. He does more with less, but has been able to get good QB play and excellent Defensive play.

He is in a better situation than State and probably has a near lifetime contract at Wake if he loves Winston Salem.

Leroy Jenkins
11-03-2023, 11:21 AM
No thanks on any coordinators. We must have someone who can manage a program, not call plays.

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 11:39 AM
Well if you prefer traditional scoring and total offense, WF smoked us in those also during leach's tenure

It's still a horrible comparison. Surely we are not saying that the ACC is as strong as the SEC.

WF has the 60th ranked SOS and are 4-5.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 11:59 AM
It's still a horrible comparison. Surely we are not saying that the ACC is as strong as the SEC.

WF has the 60th ranked SOS and are 4-5.

That's why I used FEI bc its opponent adjusted.

KB21
11-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Sean Lewis is another great young coach whose offense I love.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 12:08 PM

Lol. I mean he argued that it was a horrible metric and then argued you had to adjust for opponents all with in 3 posts. Split personality disorder?

Cooterpoot
11-03-2023, 12:11 PM

Clawson would be about as disappointing as it gets.

Cooterpoot
11-03-2023, 12:12 PM

Prime basically just fired him lol

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 12:14 PM

Hahaha. That blew up in your face quickly. Lol. Just demoted by Prime

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Prime basically just fired him lol

Talk about bad timing for KB. Lol

parabrave
11-03-2023, 12:16 PM

Well after what Fl State has done to LSU the past couple of years apparently it has.

KB21
11-03-2023, 12:22 PM
Hahaha. That blew up in your face quickly. Lol. Just demoted by Prime

It didn't. I knew about it before posted that, and Prime making a bad decision doesn't change my view at all. Sean Lewis is a hell of a play caller, and that system is great. Sean is the best coach on that staff.

KB21
11-03-2023, 12:23 PM
I'd take Sean Lewis at Mississippi State over Zach Arnett in a heartbeat!

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 12:27 PM
It didn't. I knew about it before posted that, and Prime making a bad decision doesn't change my view at all. Sean Lewis is a hell of a play caller, and that system is great. Sean is the best coach on that staff.

https://media.tenor.com/DozZTQmVXIEAAAAC/oh-sure-john-candy.gif

KB21
11-03-2023, 12:29 PM
In fact, it excited me because he's available. I'm trying to think of a way to get Lebby, Lewis, and Briles on the same staff. That offense would absolutely cook!! Who gives a crap about defense?

CaptainObvious
11-03-2023, 01:11 PM
In fact, it excited me because he's available. I'm trying to think of a way to get Lebby, Lewis, and Briles on the same staff. That offense would absolutely cook!! Who gives a crap about defense?

Well the Cowboys would probably be 2-5 without their defense. But defense is apparently only needed in the NFL.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 02:44 PM

Yeah,.... who needs one of those??? Oh CML did last year

KB21
11-03-2023, 03:10 PM
Yeah,.... who needs one of those??? Oh CML did last year

Seems like Zach Arnett needed Mike Leach more than Mike Leach needed Zach Arnett. In fact, Zach should be praising Mike Leach, because without Mike Leach, he's never in a position to even be a head coach.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 04:03 PM
Seems like Zach Arnett needed Mike Leach more than Mike Leach needed Zach Arnett. In fact, Zach should be praising Mike Leach, because without Mike Leach, he's never in a position to even be a head coach.

Ironically Leach's offense kept his defense off the field more than the guy he told to keep his defense off the field.

KB21
11-03-2023, 04:15 PM
Ironically Leach's offense kept his defense off the field more than the guy he told to keep his defense off the field.

Pretty obvious that practicing against Leach's offense helped keep the secondary in phase with their coverages. They were much better at identifying routes and knowing when to carry vs pass off the receiver in zones last year. Practicing against the AR had an effect there, because they aren't getting the reps vs the pass against the neanderball scheme they are running now.

RezDog7
11-03-2023, 04:22 PM
Pretty obvious that practicing against Leach's offense helped keep the secondary in phase with their coverages. They were much better at identifying routes and knowing when to carry vs pass off the receiver in zones last year. Practicing against the AR had an effect there, because they aren't getting the reps vs the pass against the neanderball scheme they are running now.

I'm no coach and it pains me to say it, but could be some truth here.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 04:28 PM

Losing an nfl lock down cb and our safeties could be the issue

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 04:30 PM

7 starters and 4 nfl fuys. But who needs a defense. Signed da kb21

KB21
11-03-2023, 04:33 PM

I know you Leach haters will never admit it, but when you are repping against pass route after pass route after pass route in practice, it has an effect on what you do from a coverage standpoint.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 04:44 PM
I know you Leach haters will never admit it, but when you are repping against pass route after pass route after pass route in practice, it has an effect on what you do from a coverage standpoint.

Washington, Washington ST, and WKU have pass defenses worse than ours but Wash and Wash St are the top 2 passing offenses in the country. Air Force has a very good pass defense but is extremely run heavy.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 05:08 PM

You know during the season we are playing against scout team. And a ton of leach's passing reps were against air. And again, I'm not a leach hater. But you do you. I hung out w leach a decent amount. So.....

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Washington, Washington ST, and WKU have pass defenses worse than ours but Wash and Wash St are the top 2 passing offenses in the country. Air Force has a very good pass defense but is extremely run heavy.

He won't respond. All crickets to that.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 05:11 PM
I'm no coach and it pains me to say it, but could be some truth here.

And neither is he.....