PDA

View Full Version : Was OM the worst offense the played all season?

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I think they were easily the worst red zone offense, but they only scored 3 points so they're the worst scoring offense we played too. Even Alcorn outscored them.

I think the only question is "are they the worst overall offense we played this year?"

messageboardsuperhero
12-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't say they were the worst offense we faced, but if you play disciplined, tackle well in space, and don't let anything behind you, their offense is very very stoppable. Freeze will have to make some adjustment in the offseason, because you could tell the better defenses in the SEC have figured out his gimmicks.

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
it's just simple "follow the ball" defense and quit paying attention to all the motion and formations. it's very simple. I think that's why it's so easy for freshmen to pick it up and play so quickly there, but also why it's so easy to stop if you have 11 who can tackle.

Still, we stopped them much more effectively than we did anyone else with a pulse this year. Even during great defensive games (Okie St) we had breakdowns. Against them we were damn near perfect.

chef dixon
12-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Their offense is deceptively average and inefficient. They play fast and put together points at times but try to mask their inefficiencies. They have the worst running backs in the SEC and one of the worst decision makers at QB. When their tempo isn't moving the ball they are absolutely atrocious.

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
I just went and looked at it. They only played 3 good defenses all year and scored 13 points in those games... total... in 12 quarters. That's AWFUL.

Coach34
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
They were the softest offense we played for sure

chef dixon
12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
it's just simple "follow the ball" defense and quit paying attention to all the motion and formations. it's very simple. I think that's why it's so easy for freshmen to pick it up and play so quickly there, but also why it's so easy to stop if you have 11 who can tackle.

Still, we stopped them much more effectively than we did anyone else with a pulse this year. Even during great defensive games (Okie St) we had breakdowns. Against them we were damn near perfect.

I think the reason for that is simple. Gundy and his staff are pretty good with the X's and O's and adjusted accordingly. Freeze is far from X and O guru. He found a gimmick that works and was riding it. His team is patchwork. His strongest point as a head coach seems to be recruiting and, at least at times, motivation.

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 04:54 PM
A lot of the gimmick is in snapping the ball quick and getting the defense out of position. But to do that, you have to sacrifice complexity and being multiple or your team will likely shoot themselves in the foot.

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I think the reason for that is simple. Gundy and his staff are pretty good with the X's and O's and adjusted accordingly. Freeze is far from X and O guru. He found a gimmick that works and was riding it. His team is patchwork. His strongest point as a head coach seems to be recruiting and, at least at times, motivation.

That goes back to the offense being simple. If it's working, it's great. But if the other team stops what you do, then you are screwed.

messageboardsuperhero
12-04-2013, 05:00 PM

This. They were cookie dough soft. UM tries to finesse you to death- that's why they live and die by the big play and can't score in the red zone.

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
This. They were cookie dough soft. UM tries to finesse you to death- that's why they live and die by the big play and can't score in the red zone.

They have no inside running presence. Except for their QB who is trending on twitter for fumbling away the Egg Bowl.

FlabLoser
12-04-2013, 06:27 PM

They were a finesse offense.

mic
12-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I just went and looked at it. They only played 3 good defenses all year and scored 13 points in those games... total... in 12 quarters. That's AWFUL.

I said the same thing..

Auburn 22
Bama 0
Lsu 27
Mizzu 10
State 10

Schultzy
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
They had an offense that could expose bad defenses. Our defense improved so much in the latter part of the season (bama, ole miss), kinda makes me wooly for next year.

If we can score points next year we could make a big leap in one year.

gravedigger
12-04-2013, 06:45 PM
No. We prepared for their offense better than we prepared for any other all season with maybe the exception of Oklahoma State.

OM fans are pissed about the spread throws to Treadwell and all but it is a good offense and if employed correctly, as they did late in the game with over the middle passes when we committed to stopping the wide stuff, is effective.

I'll say this. The true spread, meaning the one that stretches a defense W I D E, can truly offset the talent differences of other teams. What we need to keep in our arsenal is a power running qb. Once that qb stretches the linebackers wide, he can exploit the middle like Relf used to. If he can pass decently and make decisions quickly, he can win big games against big teams.

Bo Wallace almost had that, but for a shoulder injury and the lack of a good power running back, they might have challenged for the west this year.

Now, the fact is, when you get too cute with that offense, meaning no ability to threaten deep, and no ability to hit the holes in the middle, it fails miserably.

You cant just throw and run wide every play. This is what OM did, and why they failed against us. Oh, plus, our corners and safeties came up and kicked their tails.

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 06:53 PM
OM "might have challenged for the West this year?" Really?

They were 2-4 in the west with a lucky upset of LSU.

mic
12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
No. We prepared for their offense better than we prepared for any other all season with maybe the exception of Oklahoma State.

OM fans are pissed about the spread throws to Treadwell and all but it is a good offense and if employed correctly, as they did late in the game with over the middle passes when we committed to stopping the wide stuff, is effective.

I'll say this. The true spread, meaning the one that stretches a defense W I D E, can truly offset the talent differences of other teams. What we need to keep in our arsenal is a power running qb. Once that qb stretches the linebackers wide, he can exploit the middle like Relf used to. If he can pass decently and make decisions quickly, he can win big games against big teams.

Bo Wallace almost had that, but for a shoulder injury and the lack of a good power running back, they might have challenged for the west this year.

Now, the fact is, when you get too cute with that offense, meaning no ability to threaten deep, and no ability to hit the holes in the middle, it fails miserably.

You cant just throw and run wide every play. This is what OM did, and why they failed against us. Oh, plus, our corners and safeties came up and kicked their tails.

Challenged for the West.???? Easy... no team that finishes 5th in the west isn't even close to challenging for the east forget about the west..

thunderclap
12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
That's what she said.

gravedigger
12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, challenged for the west. With a power running back, they beat A&M, Auburn, and us and stay in the game with Missouri and Bama. I did say challenged. Not won. What they were lacking was just the same thing we were: a Dixon like running back that made you pay if you spread too wide to cover their receivers. All three of those teams covered the edges on OM very well and prevented Bo from gaining much momentum.

They win those games and they are 6-2 in the conference and 1-2 games behind bama for the west.

That said we were too. If we'd used our power running backs properly this year, we win the OSU, Auburn, USc and possibly the A&M game. What I'm alluding to is that OM isn't that far off from being a pretty complete team and neither are we. Anyone who thinks that they are complete shit because of the egg bowl, or that we are because we didn't use our players correctly THIS YEAR isn't really thinking correctly.

Teams and coaches learn. We better. Because they will. Mark my words. They will not be a WORSE team next year. They could have been a much better team this year with that one element I stated.

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 07:27 PM
if we had D Sherrod, Moulds, Norwood, Dixon, Lee, Hull, and Westerfield we would've challenged for the west.

their defense gave up 24+ points in every SEC game this year except for us because we played our 3 rd string true freshman QB in his first start ever.

I do agree they'll get better... but I think we will be much, much better next season.

messageboardsuperhero
12-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Challenged for the West.???? Easy... no team that finishes 5th in the west isn't even close to challenging for the east forget about the west..

6th in the West- right behind us.

mic
12-04-2013, 07:30 PM
6th in the West- right behind us.
you are correct..

messageboardsuperhero
12-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Who has said UM is "complete shit?" I certainly haven't, but just because they weren't terrible doesn't mean UM would have "challenged for the West" with a different RB. Their biggest problem on offense was the OL, and a bigger back wouldn't have made THAT big of a difference. The interior of UM line was very soft and that, along with the lack of a power back, hurt their running game.

Would they have been better with a 230 pound All-SEC RB? Sure. So would everybody else though.

mic
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes, challenged for the west. With a power running back, they beat A&M, Auburn, and us and stay in the game with Missouri and Bama. I did say challenged. Not won. What they were lacking was just the same thing we were: a Dixon like running back that made you pay if you spread too wide to cover their receivers. All three of those teams covered the edges on OM very well and prevented Bo from gaining much momentum.

They win those games and they are 6-2 in the conference and 1-2 games behind bama for the west.

That said we were too. If we'd used our power running backs properly this year, we win the OSU, Auburn, USc and possibly the A&M game. What I'm alluding to is that OM isn't that far off from being a pretty complete team and neither are we. Anyone who thinks that they are complete shit because of the egg bowl, or that we are because we didn't use our players correctly THIS YEAR isn't really thinking correctly.

Teams and coaches learn. We better. Because they will. Mark my words. They will not be a WORSE team next year. They could have been a much better team this year with that one element I stated.

they may be better.. But I see ALOT of chemistry issues with them. They will have some players that want Wallace starting some will be Pro Kincad or whoever. They have lost and lots of Divas and Me before team players and major partying issues.
Also I am sure lots and lots of promises made by coaches to certain players ..
From what I see they have no leaders and that will be a problem..
Lots of outside football issues for the Great Freeze and his staff to deal with .. Guess we will see what happens year 3..

gravedigger
12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
We were much further from challenging for anything because of :

1. No willingness to play our power running backs (which is worse than not having one)
2. No Westerfield
3. No willingness to pay attention to the fact that Dak was the better choice in August.
4. No willingness to bench the wrong kicker as well as the wrong punter who just so happened to be the same person.
5. No willingness to prepare for playing a non Tyler Russell offense.

We couldn't have challenged this year due to sheer hard headedness. They couldn't because they lacked a key piece of the puzzle.

Coach 57
12-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I know this wasn't a popular notion from the ole Chris Wilson days, but he ACTUALLY was onto something. But he just couldn't close on it for whatever reason. Let me explain:

To stop these types of offenses you must first understand what they are trying to accomplish. They WANT to either do one of two things.

1.) keep you in a base look. (4-3, 3-4, nickel, dime) So that they can expose you deficiencies in coverage. Where with the run or the pass that are ALL based on reads.

2.) Spread your LBs out to create space to get 1 on 1 match ups they can win.

This is what EVERY spread is designed to do. No matter WHO or what scheme (run I.e Auburn or pass I.e Petrino Arky/ Sumlin Houston teams).

Now that we know that, how do you combat it? Like Wilson TRIED to do with aTm before getting smoked (it was a new scheme & ALOT of misread plays by our guys. Go with a 3-3-5 LOOK or as some say "wide 9". I honestly was worried about how Deonte was going to perform Vs this offense. He is too slow to fit the scheme & would get picked apart. But then I noticed how Collins countered this with playing Richie Brown, Benny, Zack Jax & Wells. These guys along with DBs like Calhoun/Love can effectively SHUT THEM DOWN!

gravedigger
12-04-2013, 07:43 PM
they may be better.. But I see ALOT of chemistry issues with them. They will have some players that want Wallace starting some will be Pro Kincad or whoever. They have lost and lots of Divas and Me before team players and major partying issues.
Also I am sure lots and lots of promises made by coaches to certain players ..
From what I see they have no leaders and that will be a problem..
Lots of outside football issues for the Great Freeze and his staff to deal with .. Guess we will see what happens year 3..

You are so right. I see EXACTLY what you stated as the reason they don't pull it together next season, if that is what happens. But shit, how hard is it to find one diamond in the rough tough running back? Especially if you can land all those other kids? All those intangible things you mentioned will be the defining factor as to whether buckteeth can coach beyond 2015 or 2016. He fails at keeping the inmates from running the asylum and he will be out the door. Om can take a lot of criticism, but public embarrassment will never be tolerated.

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 07:47 PM
they ran a 290 lb RB at us and it didn't work.

messageboardsuperhero
12-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Them having no inside presence in the running game also has to do with them having shitty guards and centers, as well as not having a power running back. I just don't see how a solid running back would have made them three games better in the SEC- especially if said running back still had no holes to run through.

And we say all this about the UM offense without talking about their defense- which was pretty average in SEC play. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

mic
12-04-2013, 07:59 PM

and looking at their roster they don't have one next year either.. Unless this Juco Kid they have committed is their answer.. Freeze told him something like "you are the back to get us to a championship" not sure his exact words.. that would mean less carries for Walton, Mathers, Dodson, and I guess Kailo.. More issues for coaches to deal with. getting everyone enough touches..

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
The problem is that just adding a power back doesn't fix their problem.

Just like Jerry Jones said, "Building a football team is like holding jello in both hands. Once you feel like you got it under control, it starts slipping out somewhere else."

In order to fix their problem, OM has to change their offensive mentality, personnel, and play calling, and if they spent all their time and effort fixing that, they would likely have just as big and new problems in other areas that weren't offered the same attention.

Coach34
12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
They didnt have big back issues- they had OL issues. And they lose 5 of their top 10 on the OL this year.

They were soft upfront. And they will have some OL issues next year. That's why they were after Gennesy so hard- but failed.

They had no chance to challenge for the West- and having a speed back like Scott is the only thing that kept them from being 2-6 in the SEC and 6-6.

We are getting better on the OL and DL- and that's why we are getting better in the SEC and overall.

DownwardDawg
12-04-2013, 09:47 PM

^^^Winner^^^

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Speaking of which, did anyone see the Kang's article on 247 today where he said, if he were coaching MSU, Chris Jones would play both ways and be the goal line/short yardage back?

I found that interesting

Here you go:

"We all know that No. 96 (Chris Jones) is special, and I'm not sure he couldn't play both ways. For a guy like that to have that much ability and to be so light on his feet, there is no question with his athletic ability and endurance that he could play both ways. I would use him on goal-line and short-yardage situations.

You don't find athletes (like Jones) very often. But the good thing about the state of Mississippi is they produce all kinds and styles and shapes of defensive linemen. And every team in the country would love to have Mississippi State's defensive line and they will be the driving force next year."

Todd4State
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Speaking of which, did anyone see the Kang's article on 247 today where he said, if he were coaching MSU, Chris Jones would play both ways and be the goal line/short yardage back?

I found that interesting

Here you go:

"We all know that No. 96 (Chris Jones) is special, and I'm not sure he couldn't play both ways. For a guy like that to have that much ability and to be so light on his feet, there is no question with his athletic ability and endurance that he could play both ways. I would use him on goal-line and short-yardage situations.

You don't find athletes (like Jones) very often. But the good thing about the state of Mississippi is they produce all kinds and styles and shapes of defensive linemen. And every team in the country would love to have Mississippi State's defensive line and they will be the driving force next year."

I kind of read that as on the o-line as opposed to a RB.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I kind of read that as on the o-line as opposed to a RB.

Possibly, I guess that's what he could have meant. Either way, I thought it was interesting. Wouldn't surprise me to see Chris a play or two on offense in the bowl game.

Would be a great way to increase his publicity going into his sophomore year

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
he could play TE. Be easy to make him an extra OT, TE, and decoy in that spot.

engie
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Who has said UM is "complete shit?" I certainly haven't, but just because they weren't terrible doesn't mean UM would have "challenged for the West" with a different RB. Their biggest problem on offense was the OL, and a bigger back wouldn't have made THAT big of a difference. The interior of UM line was very soft and that, along with the lack of a power back, hurt their running game.

Would they have been better with a 230 pound All-SEC RB? Sure. So would everybody else though.

Their whole problem this year was losing Aaron Morris for the year in game 1. That injury up front daggered them almost exactly like the Tobias/Carmon injuries daggered us in 2011 -- only Bo managed to stay healthy and Relf got hurt the next game. It forced Tunsil and Golson into roles they weren't ready for as true freshmen. Tunsil, being a total freak of nature, adjusted fine. Golson, on the other hand, struggled. And one weakness on an OL = a weak all-around OL with mistrust and lack of cohesion.

The OL is the only glaring weakness on that team going forward. Dodson and Mathers can be plenty big enough to pound the rock. They've just got to adjust the system to build them up instead of shredding them and making it all about speed -- which they've done to both of them ever since they got to campus.

They have 3 solid pieces going forward in Golson, Tunsil, and Aaron Morris(who will get a medical redshirt and have 2 more years). They've got to find an adequate center and right tackle and build cohesion quickly.

Todd4State
12-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Their whole problem this year was losing Aaron Morris for the year in game 1. That injury up front daggered them almost exactly like the Tobias/Carmon injuries daggered us in 2011 -- only Bo managed to stay healthy and Relf got hurt the next game. It forced Tunsil and Golson into roles they weren't ready for as true freshmen. Tunsil, being a total freak of nature, adjusted fine. Golson, on the other hand, struggled. And one weakness on an OL = a weak all-around OL with mistrust and lack of cohesion.

The OL is the only glaring weakness on that team going forward. Dodson and Mathers can be plenty big enough to pound the rock. They've just got to adjust the system to build them up instead of shredding them and making it all about speed -- which they've done to both of them ever since they got to campus.

They have 3 solid pieces going forward in Golson, Tunsil, and Aaron Morris(who will get a medical redshirt and have 2 more years). They've got to find an adequate center and right tackle and build cohesion quickly.

I think they are going to have to find a QB after next year too. As far as Tackle- they are getting Christian Morris to transfer in from UCLA. Amazingly, he got homesick and wanted to be close to his ailing grandmother. 4-5 star OT from Memphis. However, I also heard that Golson has to have shoulder surgery as well.

I have to wonder about their QB situation once Bo leaves as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
I think they are going to have to find a QB after next year too. As far as Tackle- they are getting Christian Morris to transfer in from UCLA. Amazingly, he got homesick and wanted to be close to his ailing grandmother. 4-5 star OT from Memphis. However, I also heard that Golson has to have shoulder surgery as well.

I have to wonder about their QB situation once Bo leaves as well.

Just so we aren't blowing Morris' talent level out of proportion, he was a 3 star on 247 and a 4 star on Scout.

Good player, but hardly a sure thing. There is probably a reason he is leaving UCLA.