PDA

View Full Version : Next football season

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 02:34 PM
will be tough for us no matter who the coach is. I?m talking 4-5 wins. We need to start all the way over. But we need to give the next guy time. I just don?t think Arnett has it. If we keep him we will def fire him next year and will likely have more competition as more top notch schools will likely be looking next year than this one. Just my two cents.

TrapGame
11-02-2023, 02:49 PM
I 100% concur. We need to go ahead and flip the switch on this. This was a bad move on our part. Arnett should have been labeled interim head coach until an AD was hired. Then we conduct an actual search. Keeping him next year makes zero sense. We need an experienced coach not a guy learning on the job.

confucius say
11-02-2023, 02:57 PM
All depends on who you land in the portal. Get the Tulane qb and things start to fall in place for whomever the staff is.
Going to get several lineman too

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 02:58 PM
We aren't getting Pratt. He'll be one of the highest in demand and paid players in the portal.

confucius say
11-02-2023, 03:01 PM
We aren't getting Pratt. He'll be one of the highest in demand and paid players in the portal.

Yea that would be a tough pull. Might depend on who the coach is though.

Goldendawg
11-02-2023, 03:03 PM
If we look bad again against KY, we should go ahead and let him go, show people we are serious about our football program, make Hughes the interim HC, and start making contacts with agents. JMO

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 03:06 PM

Agree. He will be in high demand

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 03:17 PM
AU offered him huge money last year. Rumor was around 750K or more (not sure I believe it was that much but maybe).

PMDawg
11-02-2023, 03:21 PM
will be tough for us no matter who the coach is. I?m talking 4-5 wins. We need to start all the way over. But we need to give the next guy time. I just don?t think Arnett has it. If we keep him we will def fire him next year and will likely have more competition as more top notch schools will likely be looking next year than this one. Just my two cents.

I think we're smart enough to give a coach time, when warranted.

We gave Croom 5 years. Mullen was 5-7 in year one, but everyone could see it was headed in a positive direction. Conversely, most people realized Moorhead was a flop relatively quickly. Same with this joker.

MaroonFlounder
11-02-2023, 03:23 PM
Experienced guys will almost completely be gone.

I have zero faith that we will work the portal/NIL effectively to counteract what could be a miserable season.

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 03:31 PM

We gave Croom 5 years. Mullen was 5-7 in year one, but everyone could see it was headed in a positive direction. Conversely, most people realized Moorhead was a flop relatively quickly. Same with this joker.

I agree

HancockCountyDog
11-02-2023, 03:31 PM
We will need several OL and DL in the portal just to get to 4-5 wins. I don't think people understand how few OL and DL we have on the roster right now that will be playing next year.

It is not many.

RocketDawg
11-02-2023, 03:32 PM

Mullen could probably get him, given his reputation as "Quarterback Whisperer".

I suspect Mullen left us in his rearview mirror long ago though - he's been HC at Florida (a really big job), and now he's an ESPN personality.

HancockCountyDog
11-02-2023, 03:33 PM

I think the question is who can we hire. If we can go get a great coach this year, I'm all for it. Whoever we get will have to be a slam dunk because next year is rough no matter who the coach is, and we can't hire a new guy that half the fan base hates and throw up a 4-8 season.

There is a big part of me that wants to keep Arnett around to take the bullet for next year, go 4-8 and then fire him and start fresh. Sounds brutal, but I just don't see anyone having a good season next year.

DownwardDawg
11-02-2023, 03:37 PM

Well, if we hire Fritz........

Coursesuper
11-02-2023, 03:37 PM
I think the question is who can we hire. If we can go get a great coach this year, I'm all for it. Whoever we get will have to be a slam dunk because next year is rough no matter who the coach is, and we can't hire a new guy that half the fan base hates and throw up a 4-8 season.

There is a big part of me that wants to keep Arnett around to take the bullet for next year, go 4-8 and then fire him and start fresh. Sounds brutal, but I just don't see anyone having a good season next year.

Why would we wait? I don't understand that reasoning at all. Under the current circumstances, NIL etc. we cant afford to dick around and see what happens, its get going now or fall further and further behind.

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 03:41 PM
We will need several OL and DL in the portal just to get to 4-5 wins. I don't think people understand how few OL and DL we have on the roster right now that will be playing next year.

It is not many.

So true

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 03:42 PM

Next year there's going to be a ton of coaching spots open. Could be several SEC openings. If we don't move this year, we're 17'd.

Goldendawg
11-02-2023, 03:43 PM

What assistant coach would want to work for lame duck CZA next year? Look at who he finally found for year one at most positions.

PGHBulldogBG
11-02-2023, 03:56 PM
I am hopeful Selmon has started a national coaching search and I agree we need to give the new coach time. I just pray it?s Clawson or Chadwell. The new coach is going to have to clean some things up and we need to give him at least 3 years barring Moorhead shenanigans.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Next year there's going to be a ton of coaching spots open. Could be several SEC openings. If we don't move this year, we're 17'd.

This is the main reason I think we need to pull the plug unless we make a quantum leap in improvement. Moral victories don't count down the stretch IMO.

And I don't trust what currently going on behind the scenes (which is becoming pretty obvious IMO) to change drastically. The "TEAM" includes coaches and admin too. Now I have no inside knowledge but that is what I'm gleaning from these boards and then we are also getting that kind of product on the field too.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 04:08 PM

I agree. Zach is a good guy I think and a pretty decent DC. But the position he's been placed in is extremely difficult for anyone to handle. Takes a lot of experience to do so well. Takes someone who knows and is brutally honest about what he's good at, what he ain't, and knows how to to find folks that are good at the things he ain't good at. And it also takes someone who has a sensitive nose to smelling smoke being blown up his ass. (Or a sensitive asshole LOL).

TrapGame
11-02-2023, 04:08 PM

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And although I've said wait until the end of the season, if we get blown out by Kentucky, and I mean blowout (35-13), cut the ****ing cord and move on. Hughes, as mentioned before, can be the interim and we move on with maximum effort.

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 04:30 PM

Exactly!

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 04:32 PM
I am hopeful Selmon has started a national coaching search and I agree we need to give the new coach time. I just pray it?s Clawson or Chadwell. The new coach is going to have to clean some things up and we need to give him at least 3 years barring Moorhead shenanigans.

You can mark chadwell off the list. It?s not happening

viverlibre
11-02-2023, 04:43 PM
Well, if we hire Fritz........

If we do, I'm assuming that certainly won't excite the fanbase, outside of last year, his previous six years at Toolame were underwhelming.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 05:31 PM

There's a lot of names people are hopeful for they can mark off. Just hope we can find another Mullen as far as results. It's a crap shoot. There isn't one guy out there that you can say, yes that guy will 100% work here. Didn't know it w Mullen, it worked. Didn't know it w moorhead, it didn't.

parabrave
11-02-2023, 05:35 PM

It is not many.

This all day. For a QB go get the guy from W Michigan before Lane does.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 05:50 PM
There's a lot of names people are hopeful for they can mark off. Just hope we can find another Mullen as far as results. It's a crap shoot. There isn't one guy out there that you can say, yes that guy will 100% work here. Didn't know it w Mullen, it worked. Didn't know it w moorhead, it didn't.

I completely agree ... it is a crapshoot. Just wanna get the odds as much in our favor as we can, as best we can. Deep research and probing questions are required on this one IMO.

Maybe we can roll the dice on Dabo. Now there's a coach who can also do a lot more with less. Selmon call him up and say "Hey Dabo, we hearing over here your fans think you slipping and have no appreciation for you winning 11 last year. Come over here and win 8 consistently, maybe 9 or 10 here and there, and we'll make sure our fans will love you forever" *****

Of course some of our folks would be trashing him too LOL.

ETA: Clemson fans done become like Bama fans. The world practically ends of they lose occasionally.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 06:10 PM
This all day. For a QB go get the guy from W Michigan before Lane does.

He's not very good

parabrave
11-02-2023, 06:14 PM
He's not very good

He ran that hurry up offense pretty dam good.

EdwardDrayton
11-02-2023, 06:15 PM
Lots (some would say too much) of conjecture about the remainder of this season, the off season and next season.

How about we take a breath and live in the moment called Saturday's game.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 06:24 PM
I'd roll with Herman, Briles, or Lebby. None of those are unreasonable possibilities right now.

KB21
11-02-2023, 06:27 PM
I'd roll with Herman, Briles, or Lebby. None of those are unreasonable possibilities right now.

Art or Kendal?

KB21
11-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Ryan Grubb is the guy to go after.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 06:33 PM
Art or Kendal?

Art ?? Hahaha. No.

PGHBulldogBG
11-02-2023, 07:59 PM

Why is that? He would be an A+ hire. He won at multiple spots with a talent deficit

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:06 PM
Why is that? He would be an A+ hire. He won at multiple spots with a talent deficit

The money required to get him and speculation that he likely will sit where he is at until he gets a bigger profile offer.

Santiago
11-02-2023, 08:24 PM
The money required to get him and speculation that he likely will sit where he is at until he gets a bigger profile offer.

Tom Herman may also want to sit tight for a moment , enjoying life in Boca, and wait on the right jump. Boca v. Starkville type thing.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:25 PM
Tom Herman may also want to sit tight for a moment , enjoying life in Boca, and wait on the right jump.

Very possible and where he is at with his personal life and his family may also play a part as well.

PGHBulldogBG
11-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Tom Herman may also want to sit tight for a moment , enjoying life in Boca, and wait on the right jump. Boca v. Starkville type thing.

Tom Herman would not take the job here because he wouldn?t be walking into a talent advantage in his conference. He is a Houston Nutt type coach. Wins with other coaches talent but then starts falling off when he has his own players. Keep him far away from here

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 09:15 PM

This^^^

preachermatt83
11-02-2023, 09:17 PM
Helton would be a better hire than Herman imo

KB21
11-02-2023, 09:25 PM
Tom Herman would not take the job here because he wouldn?t be walking into a talent advantage in his conference. He is a Houston Nutt type coach. Wins with other coaches talent but then starts falling off when he has his own players. Keep him far away from here

LOL! He had to rebuild Texas after the mess Charlie Strong left. He was great at Houston. They fell off because Applewhite wasn't nearly the coach that Herman was. He's inherited Willie Taggert's mess at FAU. Go look at Houston under Tony Levine prior to Herman taking over that program.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 10:21 PM
LOL! He had to rebuild Texas after the mess Charlie Strong left. He was great at Houston. They fell off because Applewhite wasn't nearly the coach that Herman was. He's inherited Willie Taggert's mess at FAU. Go look at Houston under Tony Levine prior to Herman taking over that program.

Who got Herman the talent at Houston??

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 10:23 PM
I'm just curious what 64% at Texas get's you at msu? 50%?

HoopsDawg
11-02-2023, 10:30 PM

Well Mullen was 69% at UF to give you a gauge.

TheLostDawg
11-02-2023, 10:30 PM

You need to install your offense year one and expect mistakes. Go ahead and get that out of the way.
Which is why a great deal of fans were mad Arnett changed the offense completely. Now he's telling his coordinator what to do when he was suppose to stick with defense which has gone down dramatically without coaching change.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:41 AM

Why Clawson? He is 4-5 and 1-5 in the ACC right now.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:44 AM

Well who should we hire in your opinion? It seems like you shoot down everyone anyone brings up without suggesting anyone.

If you're suggesting the only kind of coach we can get is a coordinator I definitely don't agree with that. There are plenty of G5 coaches that would take our job.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:47 AM

A lot of people don't realize how much money Liberty has. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the most in G5 with SMU going to the ACC soon.

KB21
11-03-2023, 06:59 AM
Well who should we hire in your opinion? It seems like you shoot down everyone anyone brings up without suggesting anyone.

If you're suggesting the only kind of coach we can get is a coordinator I definitely don't agree with that. There are plenty of G5 coaches that would take our job.

He just wants to keep Arnett.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 07:21 AM
Why Clawson? He is 4-5 and 1-5 in the ACC right now.

I didn't see that when I mentioned him. He'd been pretty decent in ACC till this year, and even won the Atlantic Division in 2021. But that season also was impacted by Covid some.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2023, 07:41 AM
A lot of people don't realize how much money Liberty has. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the most in G5 with SMU going to the ACC soon.

Liberty has aTm money almost. It's insane how much they have. If they get real serious about football, with NIL the way it is, they could buy an 85 bears team.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2023, 07:42 AM
Well Mullen was 69% at UF to give you a gauge.

Very nice! Great post!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HoopsDawg again.

defiantdog
11-03-2023, 07:58 AM
Scott Frost is a name you might hear being thrown around soon.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:05 AM

You'd have to have Herman, Lebby, Briles or someone of that QB whisperer stature to get him and pay out the wazzuu. It's possible. Not with Zach Croom. No QB worth his salt is coming to play for this ignoramus.

KB21
11-03-2023, 08:15 AM

That's a random name. I'm curious as to why you think we might hear that name being thrown around soon?

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:16 AM

What was Strong's winning %?

What about what Sark's is currently?

Outside of Mack Brown, he's the highest winning % since 1986. 4th highest since 1950.

It's hilarious how ill-informed some of you are about Herman.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 08:20 AM
He just wants to keep Arnett.

Again, you don't know what I want. But keep chirping.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 08:23 AM

Outside of Mack Brown, he's the highest winning % since 1986. 4th highest since 1950.

Ok, so he should have the same winning % here then?? Is that what you're saying? I did my research, he won 64% of his games at Texas. That's a fact.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:24 AM
Ok, so he should have the same winning % here then?? Is that what you're saying? I did my research, he won 64% of his games at Texas. That's a fact.

I asked you a question. You can ignore it all you want because it pokes holes in your narrative.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:31 AM
You'd have to have Herman, Lebby, Briles or someone of that QB whisperer stature to get him and pay out the wazzuu. It's possible. Not with Zach Croom. No QB worth his salt is coming to play for this ignoramus.

We will spend heavily in the portal this year for several positions and spend for a QB, but we won't be a player for him no matter who our coach is.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:34 AM
That's a random name. I'm curious as to why you think we might hear that name being thrown around soon?

There are already speculations he will be back this season. Lower level HC or possibly a P5 OC

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:34 AM
We will spend heavily in the portal this year for several positions and spend for a QB, but we won't be a player for him no matter who our coach is.

We can throw all the money in the world around. Just like with recruiting, no one is coming to play for Sly Arnett.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:39 AM
We can throw all the money in the world around. Just like with recruiting, no one is coming to play for Sly Arnett.

Again, it won't matter who the coach is, we won't be a player for him just by pure financials and overall needs.

KB21
11-03-2023, 08:41 AM

Don't tell them that Lane Kiffin won 65% of his games at USC and was fired. Sarkisian won 67% of his games and was fired at USC. He won 54% of his games at Washington. Clay Helton won 66% of his games at USC. So, based on the measure we are using to say that Tom Herman was a failure at Texas with their resources, you can say the same about these coaches. Lane Kiffin is now kicking our tail and pushing to make us irrelevant unless we make changes. Sarkisian is the apple of the eye of the college football world even though he's won a fewer percentage of his games at Texas as Tom Herman did. Clay Helton will probably get another shot at a P5 job after this season.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:42 AM
Again, it won't matter who the coach is, we won't be a player for him just by pure financials and overall needs.

I'm talking about just in general. No decent portal player is coming to play for Arnett.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:45 AM
Don't tell them that Lane Kiffin won 65% of his games at USC and was fired. Sarkisian won 67% of his games and was fired at USC. He won 54% of his games at Washington. Clay Helton won 66% of his games at USC. So, based on the measure we are using to say that Tom Herman was a failure at Texas with their resources, you can say the same about these coaches. Lane Kiffin is now kicking our tail and pushing to make us irrelevant unless we make changes. Sarkisian is the apple of the eye of the college football world even though he's won a fewer percentage of his games at Texas as Tom Herman did. Clay Helton will probably get another shot at a P5 job after this season.

Sark being fired at USC Had nothing to do with his win / loss record though, to be fair. That had everything to do with his drinking problem.

KB21
11-03-2023, 08:47 AM
Sark being fired at USC Had nothing to do with his win / loss record though, to be fair. That had everything to do with his drinking problem.

Just as Tom Herman getting fired at Texas has nothing to do with his record.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:48 AM
I'm talking about just in general. No decent portal player is coming to play for Arnett.

Well I responded to:

"You'd have to have Herman, Lebby, Briles or someone of that QB whisperer stature to get him and pay out the wazzuu. It's possible."

You were talking about him specifically and it won't be possible no matter who the coach is. We just won't be a player for him.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:54 AM

I don't disagree with that. Losing multiple high profile commitments, especially Ewers a top QB and lifelong Longhorn fan, his host players recruiting against him with prospects during visits, players going to the AD about him, disconnect with him and the players, admin and boosters. It was all external. Except maybe the Oklahoma losses probably had a little to do with it.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 09:06 AM
I asked you a question. You can ignore it all you want because it pokes holes in your narrative.

Sorry missed the question. Strong's was 43%. No dude I'm not like the rest of these clowns on your side that dodge and deflect. Didn't know I was trying to hire Charlie strong. The worst couch in Texas history.

viverlibre
11-03-2023, 09:28 AM
Clay Helton will probably get another shot at a P5 job after this season.

This is why we need to make a move, you have two HCs with success at the highest levels available and both would likely jump at the chance to get in the SEC, even at MSU. It's proven you can win at MSU, with a 12 team playoff coming, you can make that from MSU, OM, Mizz, UK, USCe or Ark. Not implying you'd have long term 10 win seasons, but you can make the playoff when everything lines up.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 09:52 AM

And you still want him????

KB21
11-03-2023, 10:02 AM
And you still want him????

He's on the list. He's had success as a head coach. He has a history of being a very bright offensive mind. He's not going to play big dumb offensive football. He's the guy that helped modernize Urban Meyer's offense at Ohio State. He's still young enough and smart enough to adapt to the changes that are happening in college football. He is a guy who, with is IQ level, will embrace the use of analytics.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 10:13 AM
Sorry missed the question. Strong's was 43%. No dude I'm not like the rest of these clowns on your side that dodge and deflect. Didn't know I was trying to hire Charlie strong. The worst couch in Texas history.

You forget that he's better than Sark too? Or John Mackovic? or David McWilliams?

Texas Coaches with the Highest winning % since 1950:

1. Darrell Royal
2. Mack Brown
3. Fred Akers
4. Tom Herman

Out of 9 coaches since 1950.

HancockCountyDog
11-03-2023, 10:31 AM
I'd take Tom Herman in a heartbeat. He has won at a high level. He has a big time personality. We would be lucky to have him.

defiantdog
11-03-2023, 11:03 AM

His agent is getting "feelers." I doubt we're interested but it may turn into something.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 11:10 AM
You forget that he's better than Sark too? Or John Mackovic? or David McWilliams?

Texas Coaches with the Highest winning % since 1950:

1. Darrell Royal
2. Mack Brown
3. Fred Akers
4. Tom Herman

Out of 9 coaches since 1950.

Sark hasn't been there 4 years yet. So I'll let him finish his 4th Before I compare the two. Good chance he pushes Herman to 5th on the list. Which would make him avg at Texas. Great.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 11:12 AM
I'd take Tom Herman in a heartbeat. He has won at a high level. He has a big time personality. We would be lucky to have him.

If we hire Tom Herman I'll support him bc his our coach. I'm not like the rest of the pricks in the conversation who won't if they don't have one of their guys.

msugolf
11-03-2023, 11:18 AM
His agent is getting "feelers." I doubt we're interested but it may turn into something.

I?m sure his agent is putting out feelers to anyone who will listen. I?m also putting out feelers to Scarlett Johansson?s people to let them know I am interested

defiantdog
11-03-2023, 11:23 AM
I?m sure his agent is putting out feelers to anyone who will listen. I?m also putting out feelers to Scarlett Johansson?s people to let them know I am interested
She's married dude

sandjunky
11-03-2023, 11:27 AM
She's married dude
And? That means what in todays society?

Coach34
11-03-2023, 12:44 PM
I put out feelers to Pam Anderson when she left Tommy

confucius say
11-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Hire a coach who is a proven winner at remote outposts which are at a talent disadvantage. Any of those available with leach dead?

Commercecomet24
11-03-2023, 12:57 PM
If we hire Tom Herman I'll support him bc his our coach. I'm not like the rest of the pricks in the conversation who won't if they don't have one of their guys.

This right here!

HancockCountyDog
11-03-2023, 01:00 PM
Hire a coach who is a proven winner at remote outposts which are at a talent disadvantage. Any of those available with leach dead?

I wish we could get Klieman from KSU. I know its a pipe dream, but he would be a perfect fit.

viverlibre
11-03-2023, 01:02 PM
I put out feelers to Pam Anderson when she left Tommy

That's one dude you don't want to follow.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 01:08 PM

Smith at Oregon State? Do you consider Clawson and WF remote enough?

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 01:09 PM

https://media1.giphy.com/media/duM6JZemPlOjUyqmxd/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952smodnanjs2vlc8at8m9s9n3n3m9c 4d8n9r3f6zv7&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Commercecomet24
11-03-2023, 01:19 PM
I wish we could get Klieman from KSU. I know its a pipe dream, but he would be a perfect fit.

I've followed him at NDSU and Craig Bohl before him. Kliemans teams are always extremely well coached and he's a winner. My only question would be he has zero experience in the south, but that can be alleviated with great staff selection.