PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best TV for Man Cave....

CadaverDawg
11-01-2023, 10:28 PM
Haven't bought a new TV in a while and have to purchase several for new house.....including a TV for the man cave that will be almost solely for watching sports. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank on TV's. Everyone I talk to is saying just go with cheap TV's bc they're all pretty similar and all pretty good these days. What's everyone's thoughts? Different TV's for inside/outside? Different for Living Room versus Man Cave versus Bedroom? Or just go with the same brand across the board?

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 10:47 PM
No idea. I've had the same 55" TV for 10 years and can't find one reason to upgrade. Now my 40" on the deck... that's a different story... but limited on space.

huffy
11-01-2023, 11:37 PM
Haven't bought a new TV in a while and have to purchase several for new house.....including a TV for the man cave that will be almost solely for watching sports. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank on TV's. Everyone I talk to is saying just go with cheap TV's bc they're all pretty similar and all pretty good these days. What's everyone's thoughts? Different TV's for inside/outside? Different for Living Room versus Man Cave versus Bedroom? Or just go with the same brand across the board?

Send me a DM. I?m a dealer for Sony, Samsung, LG, and more.

I?d definitely spend a little more for the man cave and a primary TV room. Bedrooms are fine to go cheap for the most part.

I have a Sony OLED for my living room. It?s fantastic for games. The new Samsung OLED is incredible also.

For outside, it depends on the amount of direct sun the display will see. The biggest benefit of an outdoor rated TV other than water resistance is the brightness. These things look awesome outside.

parabrave
11-02-2023, 01:10 AM
You on Cable or streaming?

TaleofTwoDogs
11-02-2023, 01:40 AM
Just bought an 85" Samsung CU8000 for my home theater and it works well but I have had it for only 3 months. My Sony 65" is 10 years old and also works good. But my bedroom 47" Panasonic plasma has lasted over 15 years and is still going strong.
The bottom line is that there are only a handful of TV manufactures that produce consumer sets (i.e., reasonable priced) so it is really just about price and your eye. Samsung is the most popular. LG probably has the worst customer service. Sony is a little pricier but has good customer service. If you have a Sam's membership, they are running some good prices on TVs.

Jacknut
11-02-2023, 06:59 AM
Check out Rtings.com for good research on TVs.

Offshore Dawg
11-02-2023, 07:27 AM
OLED Vs. QLED, which is sharper.

Dawgface
11-02-2023, 07:46 AM
I bought a mini-led last year for my living room and it's great. It's a somewhat bright room and OLED's are not supposed to be good in those environments.....although they do have some bright OLED's these days. But are pricey. Mini-leds are pretty close to OLED's in quality imo but handle bright rooms better. As previously mentioned a cheap tv would be fine in a bedroom.

KentuckyDawg13
11-02-2023, 08:25 AM
Was great for a couple years, now black vertical bars on the screen. Researched, seems to be an ongoing situation with Samsung...
Just out of warranty, throwaway technology.

Johnson85
11-02-2023, 09:48 AM

I can tell you I go the cheap route and never walk into anybody else's house and notice their TV's being better. I'm sure some people notice the difference and care, but they all seem basically the same to me.

For the outside TV, when I was buying the Bestbuy worker said to just go the cheap route rather than the outside tv route. Said under cover the cheap tv's would last a reasonably long time and to the extent they don't, you'll be able to get another cheap tv at that time that will be an upgrade or you can get something similar and it won't be any more expensive than buying one outside tv. This was just a best buy employee and I doubt he was some particular expert, but it's played out well. I've never had an outside tv go bad yet. I did have an outside tv go bad after giving it to somebody else that had it under an overhang that didn't give it much protection. Still lasted them over a year after lasting me six or seven years under a true roof.

Dawgface
11-02-2023, 12:19 PM
I can tell you I go the cheap route and never walk into anybody else's house and notice their TV's being better. I'm sure some people notice the difference and care, but they all seem basically the same to me.

I have a friend that is building a several hundred thousand dollar house. He has a built in cabinet that will hold a 75" tv. I asked what kind of tv he is going to put in it and he said the cheapest he can find. That amazed me but many can't see the difference and will do just that.....buy a cheap tv. So whatever floats your boat.

coachnorm
11-02-2023, 01:52 PM
If you have access to Costco go there because Costco takes care of warrantee issues, you do not have to deal with the maker. Learn what television has the best app connections. My LG is doing well for me. The only problem is the Paramount App for live soccer events overseas, other content is good, other than that it seems perfect. That LG was on sale so I bought it. I did have vertical lines appear on my Samsung, that is why I replaced it. I gave the Samsung to someone who connected with a repairman and he cleaned a component and that TV is still doing well. That Samsung was near perfect for over 10 years BTW.

CowtownDawg
11-02-2023, 02:00 PM
My advice is dependent on you - if you can spot a freckle on a gnat's ass, then don't go the cheap route. If you're middle aged and your eyesight is slowly deteriorating (like mine), then just go cheap. I bought a $1500 65" LG at Best Buy a little over a year ago for the main family room. It has an amazing picture, no doubt. About 2 months ago, I bought a $250 55" Hisense at Walmart for the bedroom. I promise you I don't see $1250 difference. Yes, the LG picture is better but not that much better to warrant the price difference.

BoomBoom
11-02-2023, 02:35 PM
Everyone I talk to is saying just go with cheap TV's bc they're all pretty similar and all pretty good these days.

I followed that advice after my plasma died. I am not that pleased with it. The plasma was far better.

60Hz vs 120Hz makes a big difference to some, isn't noticed by others. Figure out which you are before you buy. I went 120Hz because I hate the choppy effect of 60Hz. Still thought plasma was better. Improved noticeably after turning off motion smoothing.

confucius say
11-02-2023, 03:00 PM
I like the TLC roku TVs. They are cheap. Work well.

Cooterpoot
11-02-2023, 03:04 PM
For the money- TCL (but there was an interface issue with some apps at one time)
For the quality- LG
But cheap end stuff is even decent now- Vizio,Insignia, etc. Get something with Roku. Get a sound bar.
Samsung sucks now and the smart functions suck.

RocketDawg
11-02-2023, 03:53 PM
Go to Walmart and buy a Vizeo. They're cheap, and the one in our bedroom, I swear, has a better picture than the $2000 Sony in the TV room. And the Vizeo is more than 10 years old.

RocketDawg
11-02-2023, 03:57 PM
For the money- TCL (but there was an interface issue with some apps at one time)
For the quality- LG
But cheap end stuff is even decent now- Vizio,Insignia, etc. Get something with Roku. Get a sound bar.
Samsung sucks now and the smart functions suck.

I've had two LGs. The first one had bad screen burn-in (they call it 'retention'). The second one just all of a sudden turned black with a bright white bar across the center. The first was about 2 years old, the second not much over a year. Both were covered by Best Buy warranty, so I just took the credit and got a Sony Bravia. So far it's been good, but it needs a setting between "standard" and "vivid". There's probably a way of manually doing that setting.

Agree on the sound bar. I have a Sonos Gen II and it's great.

Goldendawg
11-02-2023, 04:16 PM

Find one that doesn't carry the remaining State games this year. Otherwise you might throw something through it and the search begins again.*****

SailingDawg
11-03-2023, 05:00 PM
Go to Walmart and buy a Vizeo. They're cheap, and the one in our bedroom, I swear, has a better picture than the $2000 Sony in the TV room. And the Vizeo is more than 10 years old.

I ordered a refurbished Vizio 49" during covid when there were no TVs on the shelves. $200 with two years warranty. It's still going strong and looks great! From Walmart.