PDA

View Full Version : Reality

Homedawg
10-31-2023, 09:37 PM
This isn't to start another thread about ZA there are plenty of those. .......I'll get blasted by a ton for this but these are facts. Dan Mullen is the best coach ever here. 9 years we changed expectations for the better, here's the record. 4 times in 9 years our BEST coach ever won 6 or less regular season. 4 times he won 8, once he won 10. Best coach ever. Jackie sherrill, the man who taught us we could actually could win, was a loss to Alabama away in 96 from being fired, in 11 reg season games won 7 games 4 times, 8 games twice and 9 once in 13 years to finish at .500 overall. Numerous bad losses and or ties. Don't get me wrong loved kjs, he made us have high expectations. With all that said, we are not canning a coach that finishes 6-6 in this league. Period. Call me crazy, stupid or blind. Let us get drilled from here out, and go 5-7 maybe a change is needed. But let it play out. Remember don't beat bama in 96 and we finished 5-6 and we don't see the 97-00 run we went on. I'll hang up and watch the flames. Have fun

basedog
10-31-2023, 09:48 PM
This isn't to start another thread about ZA there are plenty of those. .......I'll get blasted by a ton for this but these are facts. Dan Mullen is the best coach ever here. 9 years we changed expectations for the better, here's the record. 4 times in 9 years our BEST coach ever won 6 or less regular season. 4 times he won 8, once he won 10. Best coach ever. Jackie sherrill, the man who taught us we could actually could win, was a loss to Alabama away in 96 from being fired, in 11 reg season games won 7 games 4 times, 8 games twice and 9 once in 13 years to finish at .500 overall. Numerous bad losses and or ties. Don't get me wrong loved kjs, he made us have high expectations. With all that said, we are not canning a coach that finishes 6-6 in this league. Period. Call me crazy, stupid or blind. Let us get drilled from here out, and go 5-7 maybe a change is needed. But let it play out. Remember don't beat bama in 96 and we finished 5-6 and we don't see the 97-00 run we went on. I'll hang up and watch the flames. Have fun

Good points Homedawg. But I can tell you IF we play like crap and IF we get blown out 6-6 want matter. Arnett needs finish striong, I hope we win and I think Saturday we have a chance but I do think Ky wins. Felker got canned mainlyo because the fans lost interest and confidence in him and staff. JoMo got fired because he lost control of the team and we were loaded and underachieved badly even at 8 wins. Arnett has a little in all of those that were canned. Hope we win out and I’m wrong.

Activated Alpha
10-31-2023, 09:52 PM
Good points Homedawg. But I can tell you IF we play like crap and IF we get blown out 6-6 want matter. Arnett needs finish striong, I hope we win and I think Saturday we have a chance but I do think Ky wins. Felker got canned mainlyo because the fans lost interest and confidence in him and staff. JoMo got fired because he lost control of the team and we were loaded and underachieved badly even at 8 wins. Arnett has a little in all of those that were canned. Hope we win out and I’m wrong.

That's where I am at. It's not because oh we are losing and might have a losing record. It's the actual product on the field. We are not a fundamentally good team. He could very well be a good coach at some time, but he is drowning in the vast ocean of the SEC. Why are we the ones that have to put up with it? It was like when OM hired Matt Luke. Understand the hire, but it was clear that he was in over his head.

The Federalist Engineer
10-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Hey Homedawg...not ZA related

Seems MSU is in a great position to pull a great portal QB this offseason. MSU is offering a starting job in the SEC. Seems any number of kids fly themselves to Starkville to play. You have the UTexas QB that has Arch Manning in his way next season. Georgia has 2 guys. Ohio State usually has a guy or two.

Last time MSU had a open job was when Leach pulled Costello. Too bad he was damaged goods.

Reality is that MSU could drastically improve at QB next season, no matter who is the coach.

Homedawg
10-31-2023, 10:00 PM

Felker had one winning record in 5 years. Beat ole miss once....but your points are true and won't argue at all.

Homedawg
10-31-2023, 10:02 PM
Hey Homedawg...not ZA related

Seems MSU is in a great position to pull a great portal QB this offseason. MSU is offering a starting job in the SEC. Seems any number of kids fly themselves to Starkville to play. You have the UTexas QB that has Arch Manning in his way next season. Georgia has 2 guys. Ohio State usually has a guy or two.

Last time MSU had a open job was when Leach pulled Costello. Too bad he was damaged goods.

Reality is that MSU could drastically improve at QB next season, no matter who is the coach.

Sure we have a spot. So will 30 other places. Will we go after one? Absolutely. Will we get a game changer?? Idk any more than anyone else.... fact is we aren't getting a Gabriel. We might get a sanders, or a Thorne... or who knows

HoopsDawg
10-31-2023, 10:19 PM
Jackie was the best coach ever here.

DownwardDawg
10-31-2023, 10:28 PM
We've suffered from poor leadership. I know this. It's a fact not an opinion. The hires have been piss poor and so typical Mississippi simple minded. Byrne, the outsider, hired Mullen. Boosters and the president, not LT, hired JWS. We've sucked at leadership in our athletic department. All I'm saying is that things could have been much better with some effort. State is not this mythical suck hole of a football program that people want to think it is. It takes leadership.

Churchill
10-31-2023, 10:31 PM
You may too young to remember but Bob Tyler showed us we could win and how to sustain success (see the Bulldog Club). If we had made another pathetic hire to follow Shira instead of Tyler I honestly don't know if we would still be in the SEC....it was that bad.

Really Clark?
10-31-2023, 10:32 PM
We've suffered from poor leadership. I know this. It's a fact not an opinion. The hires have been piss poor and so typical Mississippi simple minded. Byrne, the outsider, hired Mullen. Boosters and the president, not LT, hired JWS. We've sucked at leadership in our athletic department. All I'm saying is that things could have been much better with some effort. State is not this mythical suck hole of a football program that people want to think it is. It takes leadership.

Can't disagree with that

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2023, 11:52 PM
Naw. Mullen was better.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 06:53 AM

Wow...

JS: 13 years, 75-75-2 (.500), 43-59-1 (.417)

DM: 9 years, 69-46 (.600), 33-39 (.458)

Sec champs during JS tenure: 5 in 13 seasons with 3 from west

Sec champs during DM tenure: 6 in 9 seasons with all 6 from the west

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2023, 08:03 AM
Mullen benefited greatly from having a 12th game that Jackie didn't have until his last 2 years, no overtime system to avert ties, and a bowl system expanded greatly. Give Jackie and extra game against a simp team and his numbers look a whole lot better
3 8 win seasons; 3 9 win seasons, 1 11 win season. It would have likely added at least 13 more wins to his total and landed him in 2 more Bowl Games (giving him 8). Having a overtime system that eliminates ties might have turned '93 in to a bowl season with a 12th game.

It's plausible Jackie could have wound up with 18 more wins with these conditions giving him a 93-75 record.
Similarly, take 9 wins off Dan's record if you eliminate a 12th cupcake game; and potentially as many as 8 Bowl games if the bowl structure was the same as it was under Jackie and teams when 7 wins don't make bowls. That would knock off 6 wins and 1 loss.
Dan's record plausibly could drop to 51-45.

Dan did coach in a much tougher West than Jackie did. But having that 12th win and being able to make Bowls with only 5 regular season wins sure do make Mullen look a lot better.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 08:13 AM
Mullen benefited greatly from having a 12th game that Jackie didn't have until his last 2 years, no overtime system to avert ties, and a bowl system expanded greatly. Give Jackie and extra game against a simp team and his numbers look a whole lot better
3 8 win seasons; 3 9 win seasons, 1 11 win season. It would have likely added at least 13 more wins to his total and landed him in 2 more Bowl Games (giving him 8). Having a overtime system that eliminates ties might have turned '93 in to a bowl season with a 12th game.

It's plausible Jackie could have wound up with 18 more wins with these conditions giving him a 93-75 record.
Similarly, take 9 wins off Dan's record if you eliminate a 12th cupcake game; and potentially as many as 8 Bowl games if the bowl structure was the same as it was under Jackie and teams when 7 wins don't make bowls. That would knock off 6 wins and 1 loss.
Dan's record plausibly could drop to 51-55.

Dan did coach in a much tougher West than Jackie did. But having that 12th win and being able to make Bowls with only 5 regular season wins sure do make Mullen look a lot better.

Throw out 12 wins (1 per season and 3 for bowl win that he wouldn't have been eligible) for mullen...
57-46. He's still better. And sec winning % in harder conference doesn't change

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2023, 08:21 AM
Throw out 12 wins (1 per season and 3 for bowl win that he wouldn't have been eligible) for mullen...
57-46. He's still better. And sec winning % in harder conference doesn't change

I'm not disagreeing that Dan was better - it just shows some of the impacts that coaching in a different era had.

KB21
11-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Homedawg just wants to stick his head into the sand and ignore just how poorly coached this team is. They aren't prepared. The coaches don't have any answers when their "gameplan" is thrown off. There is no motivation. Recruiting is the worst in the SEC. The head coach is taking advice from a former high school coach.

If the administration is afraid of firing him at 6-6 or even 5-7, then they will deserve what they get next year when the stadium is 1/3rd full, NIL donations are declining, and the team is full speed heading towards a 2-10 season. Because if you keep Arnett, that's exactly what will happen.

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 08:47 AM
Homedawg just wants to stick his head into the sand and ignore just how poorly coached this team is. They aren't prepared. The coaches don't have any answers when their "gameplan" is thrown off. There is no motivation. Recruiting is the worst in the SEC. The head coach is taking advice from a former high school coach.

If the administration is afraid of firing him at 6-6 or even 5-7, then they will deserve what they get next year when the stadium is 1/3rd full, NIL donations are declining, and the team is full speed heading towards a 2-10 season. Because if you keep Arnett, that's exactly what will happen.

NIL is not declining. It possibly will if it continues on into next season and but it's not declining right now.

KB21
11-01-2023, 08:54 AM
NIL is not declining. It possibly will if it continues on into next season and but it's not declining right now.

I didn't say it was declining now. I said it will decline if Arnett is kept. All of my contributions to BI will be earmarked for basketball and baseball if Arnett is kept, and I will not spend a penny on MSU football if he is retained.

DesotoDog1967
11-01-2023, 08:57 AM
With the portal and NIL now, does it even matter what coach in the 90's or the early 2000s did?
College football is totally different now. You have Ole Miss possibly finishing in the top ten this year.

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 09:00 AM
I didn't say it was declining now. I said it will decline if Arnett is kept. All of my contributions to BI will be earmarked for basketball and baseball if Arnett is kept, and I will not spend a penny on MSU football if he is retained.

Yeah you did:

"NIL donations are declining"

KB21
11-01-2023, 09:06 AM
Yeah you did:

"NIL donations are declining"

then they will deserve what they get next year when the stadium is 1/3rd full, NIL donations are declining, and the team is full speed heading towards a 2-10 season.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 09:06 AM
With the portal and NIL now, does it even matter what coach in the 90's or the early 2000s did?
College football is totally different now. You have Ole Miss possibly finishing in the top ten this year.

Lane kiffin is outstanding.

He's 30-14 (.682) and 18-12 (.600) in sec.

It's amazing that lane can have this success in a lower tier sec program without running the AR

bulldawg28
11-01-2023, 09:07 AM
Dan is the Man!!!

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 09:13 AM

Nope just pointing out facts. Never stated once my opinion on cza.

KB21
11-01-2023, 09:18 AM
Nope just pointing out facts. Never stated once my opinion on cza.

Oh, it's very obvious that you want him to be retained.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Oh, it's very obvious that you want him to be retained.

You don't know what I want...... the only thing is obvious is you want air raid more than anything else....I am gong to base my opinion on the full body of work....

Ranchdawg
11-01-2023, 09:29 AM
I agree with Activated Alfa. For me yes it?s about wins and losses but it?s also the product on the field. The product on the field is ATROCIOUS. Even games we won we looked really really bad. Offense and defense both look god awful. I haven?t much improvement from game one thru this past weekend. I have been at every game and watched every away game.

I believe that every coach assistant coach analyst atheletic trainer water boy needs to fired. Burn the whole program down and start over. Rebuild with a real head coach. Rebuild with vision to win championships because striving just to have enough wins to go to a meaningless bowl game is same as receiving a participation trophy. Why continue this BS of pretending to compete with coaches that we get on the cheap. Realize that coaches in the way football is played today cost lots of money. And if we don?t have the money then tell us that we don?t have the money and let?s do something about it. Also require the head coach to be very vocal what his vision is what his plans are and where he plans to be year one two three ect. Give us something anything that gives us fans hope.

Currently we have a coach that does nothing to give us hope. Does nothing to excite us the FANS. Also this ghost of atheletic director does zero to tell us what his vision is for the football program and excite the fan base. If the AD refuses then he needs to be replaced. We CANNOT continue the with current state.

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2023, 09:51 AM
I agree with Activated Alfa. For me yes it?s about wins and losses but it?s also the product on the field. The product on the field is ATROCIOUS. Even games we won we looked really really bad. Offense and defense both look god awful. I haven?t much improvement from game one thru this past weekend. .

I agree with this.

Also I'm all for patience. However this situation is really not comparable to any HC situation we had or any other college HC situation Ive known. I think potential candidates for HC would understand the circumstances the current staff was hired and fired under. Also they can see film to get a further understanding of the circumstances.

The situation we find ourselves in, is truly unique.

PGHBulldogBG
11-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Basketball is the sport I wish we focused on more. We have one of the best coaches in college basketball at maximizing talent. If we could just get some more NIL money to get a few top recruits we could win the SEC here and there and make a deep tournament run most years

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2023, 09:58 AM
I will add too. If we do get to 6-6 with a loss to OM, I would get it if State retained him. Because I would assume feelers were put and potential candidates weren't impressive and/or someone doesn't want to spend $3M plus whatever a new coach would take.

With that said, I hope we get to six wins and have a new coach next year. We need a strong front man. Also, I think Bubb is right. CZA looked like a man that already knows his future, last Saturday and this week.

Coursesuper
11-01-2023, 10:36 AM
Basketball is the sport I wish we focused on more. We have one of the best coaches in college basketball at maximizing talent. If we could just get some more NIL money to get a few top recruits we could win the SEC here and there and make a deep tournament run most years

That's nice but football pays the bills. The entire department sinks or swims with football.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2023, 10:45 AM

Of all the people on this board, Homedawg never "sticks his head in the sand", he tells you what he honestly knows to be true based on facts, not his opinion. When he says something it's not his opinion based on emotion or how he feels, it's based on true information and he's rarely wrong. When he says something it's best to pay attention whether you like the info or not. He may not agree with the info or even want it that way himself, but he's giving you facts. I'm sure you don't agree but I don't really care.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2023, 10:45 AM
Wow...

JS: 13 years, 75-75-2 (.500), 43-59-1 (.417)

DM: 9 years, 69-46 (.600), 33-39 (.458)

Sec champs during JS tenure: 5 in 13 seasons with 3 from west

Sec champs during DM tenure: 6 in 9 seasons with all 6 from the west

Yeah, wow. We were on the same plane as USM when Jackie coached. You either know are you don't.

Ranchdawg
11-01-2023, 10:51 AM
Maroonthirteen wrote and/or someone doesn't want to spend $3M plus whatever a new coach would take.

I?m truly trying to say this nicely. To this is the root of the problem. We either don?t have the money or we elect not to spend the money. Just tell us the fan base. If we don?t have the money then rearrange our priorities and pay what a real coach cost because football is what drives the bus. If we have the monies and elect not to pay then our fate is already sealed. Because our fan base is going to completely erode. Because fans want a program they can have hope enjoy and be proud of the product on the field.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 10:55 AM
Yeah, wow. We were on the same plane as USM when Jackie coached. You either know are you don't.

Miss state from 2001-2008...
29-65 (.309) overall
13-41 (.241) sec

Mullen walked into the greatest run of dominance a conference has saw

C&DDAWG32
11-01-2023, 11:10 AM
Maroonthirteen wrote and/or someone doesn't want to spend $3M plus whatever a new coach would take.

I?m truly trying to say this nicely. To this is the root of the problem. We either don?t have the money or we elect not to spend the money. Just tell us the fan base. If we don?t have the money then rearrange our priorities and pay what a real coach cost because football is what drives the bus. If we have the monies and elect not to pay then our fate is already sealed. Because our fan base is going to completely erode. Because fans want a program they can have hope enjoy and be proud of the product on the field.

I agree 100%. If we don't have the money I can understand. If we don't have the balls though, that's different. Even the people saying it doesn't matter who the coach is anymore because of NIL and portal is just wrong. Prime is the perfect example. CU doesn't pull that kind of talent without him.

R2Dawg
11-01-2023, 11:17 AM

Yes he was. Jackie made even getting Mullen possible. Mullen basically said so himself. Jackie proved you can win at MSU. Jackie beat everybody, won SECW, and we were the best SECW team for over 4 seasons even though we only won once.

Mullen is second. He did take us to #1.

Both were great for MSU for different reasons and different eras. Both pumped life into a dead program. Both gave us some fire and moxey. Both stuck in the crawl of OM. One difference - Jackie never turned his back on MSU, went job shopping, or thought he was better than MSU - never.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2023, 11:21 AM
Yes he was. Jackie made even getting Mullen possible. Mullen basically said so himself. Jackie proved you can win at MSU. Jackie beat everybody, won SECW, and we were the best SECW team for over 4 seasons even though we only won once.

Both were great for MSU for different reasons and different eras. Both pumped life into a dead program. Both gave us some fire and moxey. Both stuck in the crawl of OM. One difference - Jackie never turned his back on MSU, went job shopping, or thought he was better than MSU - never.

Exactly!

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 11:23 AM

Jackie absolutely went shopping. Begged for the bama job. They just didn't want him.

TrapGame
11-01-2023, 11:26 AM

I guess I'm biased but football should always be the priority. I know folks want that elite baseball or basketball team but I'd rather cut some budgets and put most of that money in football. Selling out The Hump or The Dude is great but it pales in comparison when we have a series of sold out games at Davis Wade.

basedog
11-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Jackie absolutely went shopping. Begged for the bama job. They just didn't want him.

He also went after the Pitt job after year one, had it until the President at Pitt said no.

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 11:38 AM
I will add too. If we do get to 6-6 with a loss to OM, I would get it if State retained him. Because I would assume feelers were put and potential candidates weren't impressive and/or someone doesn't want to spend $3M plus whatever a new coach would take.

With that said, I hope we get to six wins and have a new coach next year. We need a strong front man. Also, I think Bubb is right. CZA looked like a man that already knows his future, last Saturday and this week.

He lloks like "Kaw-liga the Wooden Indian" sang about by the late Hank Williams as he stands on the sidelines. My late SuperDog Dad loved Hank.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2023, 11:39 AM

He also went after the Pitt job after year one, had it until the President at Pitt said no.

Not to mention the fact that after '95 and '96 we were ready to run him out of town on a rail. I heard Bobby Wallaces's name so much I just figured it was a done deal that he would be the next coach. And then the Bama win happened and all was right with the world again.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 11:39 AM

He also led us to croom trying to get out of violations

gtowndawg
11-01-2023, 11:41 AM
This very week 9 years ago we were rated #1 in the country (for the 3rd week in a row). If we didn't have coaches check out at the end of the year (literally) we would have won the Orange Bowl and finished ranked in the top 15.

If Mullen had not left for Florida we would have been a top 10 team in 2018 but we got Moorheaded.

We finished with 9 wins last year and a final top 20 ranking.

If Coach Leach had not passed away we would be 7-1 right now and a potential top 15 ranking.

All of this poor little Miss. State talk is ridiculous and sickening. We have the ability and with the right coach we're going to be good (again).

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 11:48 AM

100%. Jackie was also a down to earth person to all fans and students. Have a picture of him holding my then 3 month old (now 22 in MSU grad school) son at a summer Bulldog meeting in Corinth. He shouted at me across the parking lot after the get together that he wanted a ride in my 1979 corvette I had at the time.Sent him a hanging clown puppet once for his collection and he personally wrote me a very nice thank you note. Jackie also did many visits to children's hospitals and other events behind the scenes and never blew his own horn. Hate the way the wheels fell off the last couple of years with a lot of dirt from OM & the NCAA. Jackie was and is all Dawg. Hail Jackie the Kang! He taught me and I believed that we could win from the day he stepped on campus. Still have the program from his first game and my "Mad Dawgs" towel from the student kickoff teams. Hail State!

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Not to mention the fact that after '95 and '96 we were ready to run him out of town on a rail. I heard Bobby Wallaces's name so much I just figured it was a done deal that he would be the next coach. And then the Bama win happened and all was right with the world again.

Yeah, Bobby Wallace was mentioned so much I thought so too. We dodged a bullet with that...he wasn't very good at Temple to say the least

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 11:59 AM
He also led us to croom trying to get out of violations

To my knowledge, we never had a shootout on campus involving players under Jackie. Croom was a fraud in many ways.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 12:00 PM
This very week 9 years ago we were rated #1 in the country (for the 3rd week in a row). If we didn't have coaches check out at the end of the year (literally) we would have won the Orange Bowl and finished ranked in the top 15.

If Mullen had not left for Florida we would have been a top 10 team in 2018 but we got Moorheaded.

If Coach Leach had not passed away we would be 7-1 right now and a potential top 15 ranking.

All of this poor little Miss. State talk is ridiculous and sickening. We have the ability and with the right coach we're going to be good (again).

7-1?? 7-1??? Right. I'll have what you're having

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 12:03 PM
7-1?? 7-1??? Right. I'll have what you're having

I mean as long as we're making up hypothetical shit, we would be undefeated and contending for a national title!!

defiantdog
11-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Arnett just needs maturing in his position as HC. He's trying to run the system like he's a 20 year vet with highly skilled assistants. That's not the case. He needs to progress to being more of a players coach and put more skilled assistants around him if he wants a chance at excelling.

I don't see us getting a new coach any time soon. But I see us filling some gaps with assistant coaches that have more knowledge on everything college football related.

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 12:46 PM
Arnett just needs maturing in his position as HC. He's trying to run the system like he's a 20 year vet with highly skilled assistants. That's not the case. He needs to progress to being more of a players coach and put more skilled assistants around him if he wants a chance at excelling.

I don't see us getting a new coach any time soon. But I see us filling some gaps with assistant coaches that have more knowledge on everything college football related.

Big $ and the future of the program is at stake. You going to give him time to "mature" when season ticket sales drop and his on the job training is allowed to continue in an half empty ( of course some of our maroon colored glasses wearing fans will say, No, it is half full and all is well as we continue to lose with a bad product on the field), stadium. Check our recruiting at this time to boot. Tell me a single area that we are performing at a high level regarding the football program at the time. ST has looked pretty goods, but we found the weakest legged punter in all of Australia compared to other SEC teams.**

KB21
11-01-2023, 12:55 PM

LOL at the idea that any assistant coach worth his salt is going to come work for Zach Arnett. All he could come up with last year was Will Friend and Kevin Barbay.

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 01:28 PM
Jackie won 7 games his first year, and Mullen won 5... but you could see immediately with both of them, things were on the right track. I don't care if ZA somehow, miraculously wins 6 games this year, this is a train wreck and needs to end before we're way too deep in a hole to get out.

TrapGame
11-01-2023, 02:09 PM

No worthy asst. coach is going to take a job on a sinking ship. And why do we have to be the training wheels school for coaches? That's insulting to the fans and especially the boosters asked to put out more money for this fiasco. And while we're waiting for Arnett to grow into his big boy pants, Lane is going to walk into every living room in the state and take just about any recruit he wants while we're sitting here playing Romper Room.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2023, 04:01 PM
Dan Mullen, as good a coach as he was, never could recruit and never wanted to recruit. He was a great developer but still, a terrible recruiter. Jackie was under Templeton. I don't need to say more.
Times are changing. Move forward, or get left behind. I still believe KY ends it anyway, but hey, miracles happen. If Will comes back next week, maybe A&M is flat.

confucius say
11-01-2023, 04:05 PM
I mean as long as we're making up hypothetical shit, we would be undefeated and contending for a national title!!

15-0

Mjoelner34
11-01-2023, 04:05 PM
No worthy asst. coach is going to take a job on a sinking ship. And why do we have to be the training wheels school for coaches? That's insulting to the fans and especially the boosters asked to put out more money for this fiasco. And while we're waiting for Arnett to grow into his big boy pants, Lane is going to walk into every living room in the state and take just about any recruit he wants while we're sitting here playing Romper Room.

Exactly. Save the science experiments in personal growth and organizational skills for FCS and maybe some certain G5 schools. We need someone who already has a proven track record and is organized. Next year is going to be painful enough as it is. No need to make it worse by prolonging it another year. Burn it down now and start rebuilding in what was already going to be a down year.

Coursesuper
11-01-2023, 04:08 PM
Exactly. Save the science experiments in personal growth and organizational skills for FCS and maybe some certain G5 schools. We need someone who already has a proven track record and is organized. Next year is going to be painful enough as it is. No need to make it worse by prolonging it another year. Burn it down now and start rebuilding in what was already going to be a down year.

^^ This.

confucius say
11-01-2023, 04:09 PM
Dan Mullen, as good a coach as he was, never could recruit and never wanted to recruit. He was a great developer but still, a terrible recruiter. Jackie was under Templeton. I don't need to say more.
Times are changing. Move forward, or get left behind. I still believe KY ends it anyway, but hey, miracles happen. If Will comes back next week, maybe A&M is flat.

Didn't Dan have more nfl guys in 9 years than Jackie had in 13?
Dan wasn't some magical wizard with pixy dust who made horrible players nfl guys. He was a much better recruiter than he got credit for, he just didn't like to do it and was lazy at it. 90% or more of his nfl guys were going to be nfl guys with any competent staff.

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 04:18 PM
15-0

Lol. Exactly!

Commercecomet24
11-01-2023, 04:21 PM
15-0

This, yeah! I'm on board! lol

Coursesuper
11-01-2023, 04:31 PM

Do you smoke that stuff or is it a gummy? Hey either way I?m all in.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 04:43 PM
Dan wasn't some magical wizard with pixy dust who made horrible players nfl guys. He was a much better recruiter than he got credit for, he just didn't like to do it and was lazy at it. 90% or more of his nfl guys were going to be nfl guys with any competent staff.

Dan and staff could evaluate. They didn't care about rankings for the most part. They did their own. He developed them as well. And he didn't like recruiting but his effort was 10000% greater than CML. Which is hard to believe but true.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 04:44 PM

That was in response to the guy saying we would be 7-1 if CML were still here. So welcome to OZ....

Coursesuper
11-01-2023, 04:50 PM

That was in response to the guy saying we would be 7-1 if CML were still here. So welcome to OZ....

I get it, I should have been more clear. I want some of what they are on. Smoke it, drink it, chew it, it does not matter, cause it?s got to be good.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2023, 04:51 PM
Dan could develop. Great coach! But he never recruited at a high level. Lost his job at FL because of poor recruiting.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2023, 04:57 PM
I feel confident we can get a good coach and we can win games. We're in full rebuild after this season, so next year is pretty much a dead year for the new coach. Then the building starts and the right can can be better than Mullen (wins/losses).

Cooterpoot
11-01-2023, 04:57 PM
I feel confident we can get a good coach and we can win games. We're in full rebuild after this season, so next year is pretty much a dead year for the new coach. Then the building starts and the right guy can be better than Mullen (wins/losses).

msstate7
11-01-2023, 05:33 PM
Dan could develop. Great coach! But he never recruited at a high level. Lost his job at FL because of poor recruiting.
Urban Meyer ruined Florida. They've 4 coaches since urban, and mullen was the most successful. Urban has been gone 14 years now

Really Clark?
11-01-2023, 05:37 PM

He was a damn good QB coach as well. Probably the best thing he does and when we do get a new HC I hope they or someone they bring can get close to matching that.

Maverick91
11-01-2023, 06:17 PM

Preach!

Maverick91
11-01-2023, 06:21 PM
LOL at the idea that any assistant coach worth his salt is going to come work for Zach Arnett. All he could come up with last year was Will Friend and Kevin Barbay.

What! You don?t Herman anymore?

KB21
11-01-2023, 06:26 PM
What! You don?t Herman anymore?

I have a few that I like.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 06:39 PM
I have a few that I like.

Are you pulling your money if none of them get hired?? Asking for a friend.

KB21
11-01-2023, 06:43 PM
Are you pulling your money if none of them get hired?? Asking for a friend.

No. Only if Arnett stays. I will give whoever they hire a chance, but I will not support Arnett.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 07:06 PM
No. Only if Arnett stays. I will give whoever they hire a chance, but I will not support Arnett.

Makes no sense. You are hurting the next coach. If arnett stays only one more year. But to each his own.
While I do recognize arnett might not get one more year.

KB21
11-01-2023, 07:12 PM
Makes no sense. You are hurting the next coach. If arnett stays only one more year. But to each his own.

I’ll make a $1,000 donation to BI when Arnett is fired.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2023, 07:15 PM
Urban Meyer ruined Florida. They've 4 coaches since urban, and mullen was the most successful. Urban has been gone 14 years now

There just aren't that many great coaches. I think too much is asked of them now. You better have a great staff. Need someone to manage and allocate NIL dollars too.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 07:33 PM
I’ll make a $1,000 donation to BI when Arnett is fired.

That and 999 more doing the same will get us kj Jefferson.

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 07:41 PM

What a colossal waste of money. I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of that in the near future. Think of all the 4-5* that didn't pan out but now are millionaires before they even take a snap.

msstate7
11-01-2023, 07:46 PM

Man, that's sobering

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 07:50 PM
Man, that's sobering

Or 100,000+ k ole miss paid for a te.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 07:53 PM
What a colossal waste of money. I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of that in the near future. Think of all the 4-5* that didn't pan out but now are millionaires before they even take a snap.

That's true on all counts

Commercecomet24
11-01-2023, 07:57 PM

Lol!

Catfish
11-01-2023, 08:04 PM
There just aren't that many great coaches. I think too much is asked of them now. You better have a great staff. Need someone to manage and allocate NIL dollars too.

This! You are spot on with this assessment. One man can't do it.

Coach34
11-01-2023, 08:19 PM
Or 100,000+ k ole miss paid for a te.

yeahhhhh- alot of our fans really dont seem to grasp where things are right now. Every recruit right now is going to get paid. Recruiting is no longer just by the coaches- NIL works hand in hand in the process with every recruit

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 08:27 PM
yeahhhhh- alot of our fans really dont seem to grasp where things are right now. Every recruit right now is going to get paid. Recruiting is no longer just by the coaches- NIL works hand in hand in the process with every recruit

Yeahhhh... a lot of our fans are very aware of where we are and have been saying for a while. Meanwhile, keep finding excuses for this current abomination called a football staff.

Coach34
11-01-2023, 09:16 PM
Yeahhhh... a lot of our fans are very aware of where we are and have been saying for a while. Meanwhile, keep finding excuses for this current abomination called a football staff.

The staff that is currently recruiting better or on par with the previous years?
The staff that was predicted by many to go 0-8 in the SEC?

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 09:40 PM
The staff that is currently recruiting better or on par with the previous years?

Really cleaning up in MS, especially much needed DL. With the latest two JC commits we are only one spot behind vandy at #39. Hope Jackie tells him the perils of loading up with too many JC recruits when they see each other Saturday night. ** Keep losing and looking terribly bad in all games and we may lose some of the best we have committed. We can sure offer quick playing time next year, however. 2-6 in the SEC and we really rub those guys noses in it with their predictions.***

HoopsDawg
11-01-2023, 09:41 PM

You're really reaching

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 09:57 PM
You're really reaching

Actually per recruit is correct. Did we want some different guys sure. But we had a cap on hs guys bc of our roster. Taking a bunch of jucos bc we have to have instant depth. Jucos don't cost a ton. Then hopefully, get some dudes in the portal. No matter who the coach is this had to be the plan.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 09:58 PM
Really cleaning up in MS, especially much needed DL. With the latest two JC commits we are only one spot behind vandy at #39. Hope Jackie tells him the perils of loading up with too many JC recruits when they see each other Saturday night. ** Keep losing and looking terribly bad in all games and we may lose some of the best we have committed. We can sure offer quick playing time next year, however. 2-6 in the SEC and we really rub those guys noses in it with their predictions.***

We got 2 out of the 3 dl we wanted in state.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 09:59 PM

Or Jackie could say, son we would have never ever won the west wo them. 2 ways to look at it. .....

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 10:03 PM

We are 13th or 14th in the SEC in recruiting no matter how you spin it. Shitty recruiting and no developing is not a good strategic plan... FYI. Congrats on 1-7 in the SEC, hold your head high. Love how you shitted in our 9 win season last year and love this dumpster fire. Hang it up. You were laughed off SPS and are close on ED.

Homedawg
11-01-2023, 10:09 PM
We are 13th or 14th in the SEC in recruiting no matter how you spin it. Shitty recruiting and no developing is not a good strategic plan... FYI. Congrats on 1-7 on the SEC, hold your head high. Love how you shitted in our 9 win season last year and love this dumpster fire. Hang it up. You were laughed off SPS and are close on ED. Got coffee??

We never ever are above 9th or 10th. Usually worse. When you only plan on signing 13 or so high school guys your ranking is gonna suck. Just trying to explain the strategy to have decent year next year. Don't know what else to say.

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 10:11 PM
You're really reaching

Lol... I was scanning and thought Homedawg had for once rebuffed this baffoon. But, I should've known better. Lol

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 10:19 PM
We never ever are above 9th or 10th. Usually worse. When you only plan on signing 13 or so high school guys your ranking is gonna suck. Just trying to explain the strategy to have decent year next year. Don't know what else to say.

Gonna get the rest from the portal/NIL?!? *okay fingers* Jeez... we are done.

NCDawg
11-01-2023, 10:22 PM

Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's job in my opinion. He was on the verge of being fired.

dawgoneyall
11-01-2023, 10:23 PM
Dan Mullen has the least character of any coach ever here.

DownwardDawg
11-01-2023, 10:23 PM
We have so many fans with such low expectations and seem to be fine with where we are and have been. How about we strive to be better than we ever have been? Damn

Turfdawg67
11-01-2023, 10:33 PM
Dan Mullen has the least character of any coach ever here.

I misread or misinterpreted that at first, but you are correct, he had lots of character.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2023, 10:55 PM
We have so many fans with such low expectations and seem to be fine with where we are and have been. How about we strive to be better than we ever have been? Damn

We've got people that are going to run it in the ground for their personal agendas if people don't start getting involved.
Between the blue hairs that think it's a tradition to suck and the others that just want it to be their personal toy, folks better push the change. The good ole boys will kill it.

PGHBulldogBG
11-02-2023, 06:45 AM
I?m so confused why people would want to keep a coaching staff that is terrible just for access and information to the program. If we go 0-8 or 1-7 most years nobody is going to care anymore anyways

vindastra
11-02-2023, 07:42 AM
I?m so confused why people would want to keep a coaching staff that is terrible just for access and information to the program. If we go 0-8 or 1-7 most years nobody is going to care anymore anyways

But but but...how will I run to this board to break some news???

StarkVegasSteve
11-02-2023, 07:43 AM

Because they want to brag to their friends at Reunion, Annandale, and CCJ about how much they know and they get their rocks off when the coaches tell them how cool they are when they buy their drinks at Two Brothers.

Coursesuper
11-02-2023, 07:48 AM
Because they want to brag to their friends at Reunion, Annandale, and CCJ about how much they know and they get their rocks off when the coaches tell them how cool they are when they buy their drinks at Two Brothers.

Exactly, this is why we can never pull together. To many chiefs.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 07:50 AM
Gonna get the rest from the portal/NIL?!? *okay fingers* Jeez... we are done.

If we want to field a team we have to get from the portal. Is what it is. Our present talent on campus requires it. We have some but not near enough. And a all fr class won't help it

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:12 AM
We've got people that are going to run it in the ground for their personal agendas if people don't start getting involved.
Between the blue hairs that think it's a tradition to suck and the others that just want it to be their personal toy, folks better push the change. The good ole boys will kill it.

I've been able to tell for about 2 weeks now that's exactly what's happening.

And then come on message boards and make excuses for why we suck so bad.

Coach34
11-02-2023, 08:16 AM
If we want to field a team we have to get from the portal. Is what it is. Our present talent on campus requires it. We have some but not near enough. And a all fr class won't help it

Either people on this board are too stupid to understand this or they dont want to acknowledge it because it undercuts their agenda.

Coach34
11-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Actually per recruit is correct. Did we want some different guys sure. But we had a cap on hs guys bc of our roster. Taking a bunch of jucos bc we have to have instant depth. Jucos don't cost a ton. Then hopefully, get some dudes in the portal. No matter who the coach is this had to be the plan.

We are 26th in the nation right now in recruiting on star ranking average aka- quality of recruit

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:20 AM
Either people on this board are too stupid to understand this or they dont want to acknowledge it because it undercuts their agenda.

That's rich coming from you, as you are only interested in MSU keeping your buddies in their positions.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:21 AM
We got 2 out of the 3 dl we wanted in state.

So I guess we gonna let all 4 of those 4* top 6 players in MS, HS Dlinemen go to OM then.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 08:28 AM
So I guess we gonna let all 4 of those 4* top 6 players in MS, HS Dlinemen go to OM then.

I already posted, we got 2 of the 3 dl that our staff wanted. Echoles is an OL and yes we wanted him for that. But he's also not a top 5 player at any position. There was a 4th we would have take. But no shot from the get go.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:34 AM

Yea, everybody stupid but you.

Most folks are aware we might have a dip next year. If you look at last 3 years players ranking in MS, talent level was a little down. It's better this year, especially Dlinemen. And we letting everybody else, and mainly OM, gobble it up. Kiffin has lived in the portal but he recruiting the top MS HS players hard this year. I, or others on here, may not be up to your sheer level brilliance, but I imagine Kiffin is.

We got a bunch of 4* on our roster that I posted the other night on here. They still gotta be coached up.

StarkVegasSteve
11-02-2023, 08:35 AM
We are 26th in the nation right now in recruiting on star ranking average aka- quality of recruit

And when we take all these JUCO guys it will lower it. You are right on one thing though, transfers is going to be the key. We have far too many holes on both sides of the ball that recruiting cannot fix. We are going to have to be aggressive in the portal. Honestly outside of Zavion and maybe Whittemore I would not actively work to keep anyone on the current team. Or at least raise their NIL. If they want more money then they know where the door is. Heck maybe they will be lucky enough to get six figures to be a backup in Oxford.

Really Clark?
11-02-2023, 08:36 AM

I hear ya but the class is not as strong or deep as it was thought to be a year ago and the ratings haven't changed to reflect that. I like Beavers though. Franklin, I've seen him in person a couple of times, you get high 4 star ability out him a couple times a game the problem is you also get mid 3 star out him. Rush is overrated, Echols is an OL that may be ok as a gap filler on DL. Wished we had split the recruits and picked up Beavers to go with Hibbler and Carter.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:37 AM
I already posted, we got 2 of the 3 dl that our staff wanted. Echoles is an OL and yes we wanted him for that. But he's also not a top 5 player at any position. There was a 4th we would have take. But no shot from the get go.

And I've heard similar the last 3 years but now we got no talent, even tho we got a bunch of 4* players on our roster.

And BTW, we'd be 6-2 with Leach. AU and Arky jumped 11 and 12 spots respectively in Scoring D rankings just by playing us. No, we wouldn't have beat LSU. They 75th in D scoring but #1 in O scoring. Can't stop their offense. Daniels too good.

ETA: I love how we always get "the ones we want" but if a kid drops us for, say an LSU, we didn't want him anyway LOL.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 08:42 AM
And I've heard similar the last 3 years but now we got no talent, even tho we got a bunch of 4* players on our roster.

And BTW, we'd be 6-2 with Leach. AU and Arky jumped 11 and 12 spots respectively in Scoring D rankings just by playing us. No, we wouldn't have beat LSU. They 75th in D scoring but #1 in O scoring. Can't stop their offense. Daniels too good.
Not even why someone tries to say what we would have been w Leach. But whatever

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:45 AM

We lost to memphis a couple years ago with out best offense under leach, but no way we coulda lost 2 sec road games this season

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:46 AM
Just to add this: I see what y'all are doing. In '17 we made a helluva Juco haul. Abrams and Sweat were studs, Chauncy Rivers was pretty damn good, etc. They were a big part of the '17 and '18 teams. I remember Peterson being involved with that haul. Now that might work to supplement but it ain't your base IMO. Mullen's base was the HS talent he recruited. Some were studs like Simmons and C. Jones, others were coached up to become studs.

KB21
11-02-2023, 08:46 AM
LOL at the Leach Haters trying to pin this season on him.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:47 AM
We lost to memphis a couple years ago with out best offense under leach, but no way we coulda lost 2 sec road games this season

Not because we couldn't score. And even tho those sophs fumbled and bumbled around, it was the bad call on the fumbled punt that cost us the game.

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:49 AM
I'm not pleased we lost to auburn; but probably worth noting at home, they've lost by a td to 2 top 10 teams

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:49 AM
Not because we couldn't score. And even tho those sophs fumbled and bumbled around, it was the bad call on the fumbled punt that cost us the game.

And no way a "bad call" coulda cost us a game on the road this year. No chance at all.

ETA... still not sure it was a correct call on the int will threw at SC this season. Oh, and 30 on the road at SC, so we didn't lose bc of offense in that

Dawgface
11-02-2023, 08:50 AM
That's rich coming from you, as you are only interested in MSU keeping your buddies in their positions.

Ain't that the damn truth.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:52 AM

I agree ... it's a moot point and doesn't matter but I've watched y'all argue with KB and BSD all summer. Some of y'all same way on the other side. If Leach were struggling like this right now, and maybe he would be, y'all would be ALL OVER this board saying "I told you so. Air Raid can't work in SEC".

I personally don't care about the AR either way. I thought it would work with some tweaks. But just like when Zach came in and fired most of Leach's staff and started from scratch, I was same way with Leach. If he losing cause of recruiting, or cause he ain't tweaking his O, or whatever the reason, it all falls on him. I was waiting to see long term with Leach. And I said same thing when Zach basically started over. I said "we'll see how that works out for him".

msstate7
11-02-2023, 08:53 AM

When we have no one drafted this season for the first time in 15 years who should wear that?

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 08:55 AM
And no way a "bad call" coulda cost us a game on the road this year. No chance at all.

ETA... still not sure it was a correct call on the int will threw at SC this season. Oh, and 30 on the road at SC, so we didn't lose bc of offense in that

No ... I'm saying we wouldn't be giving up 75% completions to those QBs and we'd be scoring a helluva a lot more points against these putrid Ds we're facing this year.

But it really doesn't matter. Y'all keep arguing it. What does matter is we got a lot of experienced players that right now look like they never played football before. And they "ain't got no talent and are "stupid"".

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:22 AM
When we have no one drafted this season for the first time in 15 years who should wear that?

Before the season started we had players. First week or so of season C34 insisted to me that Marks was an NFL player (which I never thought so).

We were promised that this offense would be so much better than last year's offense. A LOT of promises were made that have crashed and burned ... To fans AND to players.

What bothers me is why make those promises after evaluating in spring and fall camp? If coaches can't tell we ain't up to normal SEC levels in those camps but then are still making those promises ... Then they can't evaluate talent or execution worth a shit. If they could evaluate, they'd be quiet about it.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 09:24 AM

So if we had leach we would have for sure scored 38 to beat usc?? Some guarantee......

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:30 AM
So if we had leach we would have for sure scored 38 to beat usc?? Some guarantee......

See what I mean SMFH. Y'all gonna keep arguing stupid shit like this forever.

All I know is USCe is ranked 80th in scoring O and 109th in scoring D. Yea ... We should've beat them regardless of the coach.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 09:36 AM
See what I mean SMFH. Y'all gonna keep arguing stupid shit like this forever.

All I know is USCe is ranked 80th in scoring O and 109th in scoring D. Yea ... We should've beat them regardless of the coach.
Y'all??? You're the one that said we would be 6-2. So I guess you aren't part of the argument. Splendid.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 09:45 AM
I agree ... it's a moot point and doesn't matter but I've watched y'all argue with KB and BSD all summer. Some of y'all same way on the other side. If Leach were struggling like this right now, and maybe he would be, y'all would be ALL OVER this board saying "I told you so. Air Raid can't work in SEC".

I personally don't care about the AR either way. I thought it would work with some tweaks. But just like when Zach came in and fired most of Leach's staff and started from scratch, I was same way with Leach. If he losing cause of recruiting, or cause he ain't tweaking his O, or whatever the reason, it all falls on him. I was waiting to see long term with Leach. And I said same thing when Zach basically started over. I said "we'll see how that works out for him".

See my quote above. Good way to drop it.

Y'all??? You're the one that said we would be 6-2. So I guess you aren't part of the argument. Splendid.

But naw ... you gotta get down into the minutia of individual games like this. Whatever. I'm dropping out.

All I know is we suck. Neither Leach or Mullen made excuses all the time when they were not performing like all of you, me, and the fanbase expect.

JoMo made excuses. I don't believe Zach has but I ain't hanging onto every word he says either.

Right now, I think we have a very long road in front of us. If this staff can turn it around great. If not, it might be a pretty long road.

ETA: I do believe Zach is regretting some decisions he has made based on advice he was given and/or people he listened to. Don't know for sure but his press conferences tend to make me think that might be the case.

Homedawg
11-02-2023, 10:48 AM
See my quote above. Good way to drop it.

But naw ... you gotta get down into the minutia of individual games like this. Whatever. I'm dropping out.

All I know is we suck. Neither Leach or Mullen made excuses all the time when they were not performing like all of you, me, and the fanbase expect.

JoMo made excuses. I don't believe Zach has but I ain't hanging onto every word he says either.

Right now, I think we have a very long road in front of us. If this staff can turn it around great. If not, it might be a pretty long road.

ETA: I do believe Zach is regretting some decisions he has made based on advice he was given and/or people he listened to. Don't know for sure but his press conferences tend to make me think that might be the case.

So I'm supposed to drop it while you keep going. And the blame is on me, typical.

KB21
11-02-2023, 10:52 AM

They argued with me,...........and they lost. That really sticks in their craw right now.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 11:20 AM
They argued with me,...........and they lost. That really sticks in their craw right now.

I ain't in middle of all that. Doesn't matter now anyway relative to Leach and AR. You ain't helping any with your constant mantra either.

What matters is we are playing the most pathetic competition we've faced goin back to early 2000s and we got a bunch of experienced players and can't beat those teams. And the Ds of those teams are especially horrible, and we can't score points.

I firmly believe Mullen would win no less than 8 games but I ain't gonna debate that back and forth all day either.

dawgday166
11-02-2023, 11:34 AM
So I'm supposed to drop it while you keep going. And the blame is on me, typical.

If you'll read my original quote I agreed with you that it all was moot now and getting down into those discussions didn't really matter. So IMO that was the out to just drop it. But many spend time doing just that. It's always about winning the argument.

Regardless, we're playing really bad teams and we look like we never played football before. Doesn't matter who the coach is.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:51 AM

Very likely. We scored 40+ on Arkansas who had a similar defense to South Carolina last year.

Also with Arnett focused on defense I believe we hold them to under 30.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:52 AM

Complaining about Leach's recruiting when our current class is in the 40's and worse than any of Leach's is ironic.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 01:55 AM

Just like the 60's according to my grandfather.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 02:01 AM

Yeah, Bobby Wallace was mentioned so much I thought so too. We dodged a bullet with that...he wasn't very good at Temple to say the least

That week in 1996 was pretty crazy. Everyone thought it was inevitable. That win over Bama in 1996 really changed the course of our program the next few years because who knows what would have happened with Wallace as our HC? I doubt we would have had the success we had in 1998 and are celebrating this weekend much less 1999.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 08:31 AM

Considering there 3-4 guys getting at least some pub for being drafted going into the year, I'd say it's Arnett.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 08:35 AM
Considering there 3-4 guys getting at least some pub for being drafted going into the year, I'd say it's Arnett.

link?

I saw one that mentioned Woody working his way into the mix- link us some more

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 08:57 AM
link?

You were swearing to me before season or after 1st game or so Marks was an NFL back and I told you he wasn't. JRob was a much better all-around back than Marks and he didn't make it. I love Woody and he is a good solid player but he's not elusive and doesn't have great vision in finding the hole. DJ was better. But you wanted to argue with me about it and I wasn't gonna waste time going back and forth with you on it for days on end.

You were all excited about Hill replacing Aeris too and I was like "he better be damn good to replace a warrior that gained 1100 tough yds the year before and will block Bama LBs". Well, Hill was flash and no substance ... just like I thought he was.

But once again ... what-the-f***-ever. I ain't chasing a "link" down to prove my point cause I don't give that big a shit about it.

msstate7
11-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Getting drafted at rb is very hard. There's really good rbs that can be had as UDFAs every year.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 09:07 AM
Getting drafted at rb is very hard. There's really good rbs that can be had as UDFAs every year.

I know. And you can be a really good college RB and not make the league. And I think Woody is a very solid RB, tho he's prone to injury. There are some backups that have flashed potential too ... Not sure why their production isn't higher but I'm guessing I know the answer to that probably.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 09:59 AM
You were swearing to me before season or after 1st game or so Marks was an NFL back and I told you he wasn't. JRob was a much better all-around back than Marks and he didn't make it. I love Woody and he is a good solid player but he's not elusive and doesn't have great vision in finding the hole. DJ was better. But you wanted to argue with me about it and I wasn't gonna waste time going back and forth with you on it for days on end.

You were all excited about Hill replacing Aeris too and I was like "he better be damn good to replace a warrior that gained 1100 tough yds the year before and will block Bama LBs". Well, Hill was flash and no substance ... just like I thought he was.

But once again ... what-the-f***-ever. I ain't chasing a "link" down to prove my point cause I don't give that big a shit about it.

A) Wasnt talking to you. I clearly responded to CoachT14 for a link to the 3-4 guys getting some pub before the season he mentioned

B) I still think Woody gets a shot but his health issues probably make it as an UFA as opposed to a late round pick

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 10:24 AM
link?

I'm not wasting my time to go find some pre-season Mock Drafts for next year for you. You'd ignore the proof anyway.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 10:26 AM
I'm not wasting my time to go find some pre-season Mock Drafts for next year for you. You'd ignore the proof anyway.

translated:

You were just making shit up because you are mad that I'm right about our lack of talent

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 10:40 AM
translated:

You were just making shit up because you are mad that I'm right about our lack of talent

You said Arnett was winning 8-10 this year. I don't wanna hear a thing about anyone else making shit up from you.

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 10:50 AM
You said Arnett was winning 8-10 this year. I don't wanna hear a thing about anyone else making shit up from you.

I had no Idea you were a preacher! Preach brother T... Preach!

msstate7
11-03-2023, 11:20 AM

Making wrong predictions isn't the same as just making up things. Predictions by nature are opinions

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 11:28 AM

A preseason win / loss prediction is making up shit? That's not correct

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 11:37 AM
I'm gonna throw this out there and ain't gonna argue it but it is true most of the time. A well coached very veteran team will win most games against average coached younger, more talented teams. Of course UGA and Bama are extremely well coached and extremely talented teams, as LSU may be on the offensive side too. So they are excluded.

And a well coached veteran team with our past few years recruiting rankings should be winning and scoring points against this year's competition. Especially since those teams had such a coaching turnover to top that off. But then ... I guess on the O side we did too but we also have an extremely veteran team on offense for sure.

Not gonna keep arguing all of this cause the excuses will keep just being twisted and turned, performance metrics or criteria will constantly be twisted and turned, all while opposing QBs every week are completing close to 80% against us, and we cannot score against scoring Ds who are ranked in the 50s and below. The excuses will just keep rolling in while the MSU football program is crashing and burning.

ETA: And people shouldn't consistently write checks their body can't cash relative to BOLD predictions. And if our coaches can't evaluate the talent and execution of our team in spring and fall camps enough to know we're gonna struggle in a normal SECW, much less this pathetic SECW, then I personally have no confidence in those coaches to evaluate anything really.

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 11:43 AM
I'm gonna throw this out there and ain't gonna argue it but it is true most of the time. A well coached very veteran team will win most games against average coached younger, more talented teams. Of course UGA and Bama are extremely well coached and extremely talented teams, as LSU may be on the offensive side too. So they are excluded.

And a well coached veteran team with our past few years recruiting rankings should be winning and scoring points against this year's competition. Especially since those teams had such a coaching turnover to top that off. But then ... I guess on the O side we did too but we also have an extremely veteran team on offense for sure.

Not gonna keep arguing all of this cause the excuses will keep just being twisted and turned, performance metrics or criteria will constantly be twisted and turned, all while opposing QBs every week are completing close to 80% against us, and we cannot score against scoring Ds who are ranked in the 50s and below. The excuses will just keep rolling in while the MSU football program is crashing and burning.

ETA: And people shouldn't consistently write checks their body can't cash relative to BOLD predictions. And if our coaches can't evaluate the talent and execution of our team in spring and fall camps enough to know we're gonna struggle in a normal SECW, much less this pathetic SECW, then I personally have no confidence in those coaches to evaluate anything really.

https://media.tenor.com/PVRcZBr_RLoAAAAM/hear-hear-correct.gif

Brahmabull
11-03-2023, 11:44 AM

Bahahahaaha!!!! That is funny! And so true!!!

Homedawg, remind me to slap you next time I see you for starting this thread!

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 12:17 PM
Will do Brahma

HancockCountyDog
11-03-2023, 12:32 PM
Complaining about Leach's recruiting when our current class is in the 40's and worse than any of Leach's is ironic.

I think both things can be true. Leach's recruiting was below average and our current recruiting is not great.

I do think we have a couple of really good playmakers committed, especially Stonka, but we are really lacking in the trenches. I am worried that we are going to be forced to go JUCO and Portal to get OL and DL for next year.

CoachT14
11-03-2023, 12:40 PM
A preseason win / loss prediction is making up shit? That's not correct

That's not what I was saying. He was crowing all off-season about how great Arnett was and how he was going to win a ton of games this year. Now he's crowing about how great winning 6 games is because Leach sucks.

I don't want to hear from a damn thing from an idiot running around here crowing about how bad Leach was, that only thinks Arnett is good because he get's to be butt buddies with Arnett.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 12:42 PM

Well, aGAIN- our quality of recruit is 26th

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 12:43 PM
That's not what I was saying. He was crowing all off-season about how great Arnett was and how he was going to win a ton of games this year. Now he's crowing about how great winning 6 games is because Leach sucks.

I don't want to hear from a damn thing from an idiot running around here crowing about how bad Leach was, that only thinks Arnett is good because he get's to be butt buddies with Arnett.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CoachT14 again.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 12:46 PM
I think both things can be true. Leach's recruiting was below average and our current recruiting is not great.

I do think we have a couple of really good playmakers committed, especially Stonka, but we are really lacking in the trenches. I am worried that we are going to be forced to go JUCO and Portal to get OL and DL for next year.

We have no choice. And if we didn't, those complaining would say why the hell didn't we when we knew we needed help? Can't win. Not with morons.

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 12:50 PM

"You said Arnett was winning 8-10 this year. I don't wanna hear a thing about anyone else making shit up from you."

I can't read into your mind what you meant, that very well may be true, but the above quote is exactly what you posted about.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 12:57 PM
"You said Arnett was winning 8-10 this year. I don't wanna hear a thing about anyone else making shit up from you."

I can't read into your mind what you meant, that very well may be true, but the above quote is exactly what you posted about.

what's even funnier is him making up more shit that I said Arnett would win as many as 10 this year

BlackSailsDawg
11-03-2023, 12:59 PM
what's even funnier is him making up more shit that I said Arnett would win as many as 10 this year

He won't be here at the end of the year. bye bye Staff!

confucius say
11-03-2023, 12:59 PM

You said 9?

KB21
11-03-2023, 01:00 PM
He won't be here at the end of the year. bye bye Staff!

His buddy will likely be fired as well. He should be fired. I'm not sure he brings anything to the table that benefits Mississippi State.

Coach34
11-03-2023, 01:14 PM
You said 9?

I'd have to check and make sure but coming into the season I knew it was going to be tough to beat LSU, Bama, and A&M. I also said our swing games being on the road was going to be tough but felt like 8 was doable.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 04:06 PM

A small class isn't a good thing.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 04:33 PM

What do you want us to do?? Sign 30 hs guys and forget the portal and juco and just try to suck next year?? You'd be the first one saying they should have known the roster and fixed it. That's what they are trying to do. Will it be enough? Idk. But they are trying. Or just bitch just to bitch then change your position when the time comes. That's how to roll.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 04:43 PM
What do you want us to do?? Sign 30 hs guys and forget the portal and juco and just try to suck next year?? You'd be the first one saying they should have known the roster and fixed it. That's what they are trying to do. Will it be enough? Idk. But they are trying. Or just bitch just to bitch then change your position when the time comes. That's how to roll.

My biggest issue is us relying so much on JUCO before the portal even starts. We have 14 high school players committed right now. How many more are we expected to add? 2-3 maybe? What's going to happen 3-4 years from now? We're going to blame Arnett and Peterson because they're gone and we have to rely on the portal again.

The biggest thing is COVID got our numbers out of whack. We have some guys that could come back next year and mitigate things somewhat but we won't know for another month.

Meanwhile our HS QB is a Chris Relf clone, we can't get any running backs to commit despite a really good one being 10 miles from campus and handing the ball off 30 times a game, offensive line looks status quo outside of Lewis, we have one good LB and we're still struggling to recruit DB.

We should sign no fewer than 20 high school prospects.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 04:48 PM

Leach was a horrible recruiter ... looks about consistent to me LOL. The Home Boys doing great!! And they got all the DLinemen they really wanted in this class. We'll see how that turns out too.

https://i.postimg.cc/3rgKSTMD/MSU-Recruiting.png

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 04:50 PM
My biggest issue is us relying so much on JUCO before the portal even starts. We have 14 high school players committed right now. How many more are we expected to add? 2-3 maybe? What's going to happen 3-4 years from now? We're going to blame Arnett and Peterson because they're gone and we have to rely on the portal again.

The biggest thing is COVID got our numbers out of whack. We have some guys that could come back next year and mitigate things somewhat but we won't know for another month.

Meanwhile our HS QB is a Chris Relf clone, we can't get any running backs to commit despite a really good one being 10 miles from campus and handing the ball off 30 times a game, offensive line looks status quo outside of Lewis, we have one good LB and we're still struggling to recruit DB.

We should sign no fewer than 20 high school prospects.

We are getting those for depth purposes. Some might can start. But mostly depth. Portal guys cost way most than juco guys. As for the 20. We don't have room. We are looking at two portal qb. Portal here portal there. Only so many spots. Not gonna change your mind but that's the reasoning.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 06:08 PM
We are getting those for depth purposes. Some might can start. But mostly depth. Portal guys cost way most than juco guys. As for the 20. We don't have room. We are looking at two portal qb. Portal here portal there. Only so many spots. Not gonna change your mind but that's the reasoning.

Depth purposes for a team that has been recruiting poorly? OK. I know you are getting your info from the coaches but this is exactly my problem with them. They talk out of both sides of their of their mouth. If we're not recruiting well then we need to find impact players- that's more than likely coming from the portal. The only time we need bodies for "depth purposes" is if we have an absolutely loaded team and just need a few guys to rotate in. That's not the case here.

And I know you said we are going to use the portal some- just so you know I'm not speaking in absolutes here. But we're using way too many JUCO guys. And it's because this group isn't good at identifying and recruiting the portal. So they're going back to what they're comfortable with. JUCO has been the MSU band aid for years.

This isn't really too surprising because our staff is basically made up of recruiters from previous staffs that couldn't recruit.

Then again MSU has never really been all in on recruiting anyway and this group isn't going to change that.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 06:18 PM
Depth purposes for a team that has been recruiting poorly? OK. I know you are getting your info from the coaches but this is exactly my problem with them. They talk out of both sides of their of their mouth. If we're not recruiting well then we need to find impact players- that's more than likely coming from the portal. The only time we need bodies for "depth purposes" is if we have an absolutely loaded team and just need a few guys to rotate in. That's not the case here.

And I know you said we are going to use the portal some- just so you know I'm not speaking in absolutes here. But we're using way too many JUCO guys. And it's because this group isn't good at identifying and recruiting the portal. So they're going back to what they're comfortable with. JUCO has been the MSU band aid for years.

This isn't really too surprising because our staff is basically made up of recruiters from previous staffs that couldn't recruit.

Then again MSU has never really been all in on recruiting anyway and this group isn't going to change that.

If you don't think we need depth then I can't help you. Coming from a team that has 2 dl out and we've been short there all year. Play 2 dl at a time in 2 different games bc we didn't have enough bodies of decent players. Point of the depth remark is , juco is a place to get good players. We hope to get better in the portal but can't put all our eggs in that basket. Some might start.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 06:20 PM

How do you know they can't identify guys in the portal?? Based on last year?? Just wow.

Turfdawg67
11-03-2023, 06:21 PM

13/14 in the SEC. That'll give you the excuse that everyone is more talented when ZA and the homeboys lose, though.

ETA: Sorry I forgot two more teams will be joining the SEC, so I guess we are currently 14/15...

confucius say
11-03-2023, 07:00 PM
I'd have to check and make sure but coming into the season I knew it was going to be tough to beat LSU, Bama, and A&M. I also said our swing games being on the road was going to be tough but felt like 8 was doable.

I said 7-5/8-4.
Holding out hope.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 07:09 PM
If you don't think we need depth then I can't help you. Coming from a team that has 2 dl out and we've been short there all year. Play 2 dl at a time in 2 different games bc we didn't have enough bodies of decent players. Point of the depth remark is , juco is a place to get good players. We hope to get better in the portal but can't put all our eggs in that basket. Some might start.

I think we need people that can make an instant impact.

How do you know they can't identify guys in the portal?? Based on last year?? Just wow.

How do you know they can? They haven't yet so why am I supposed to have blind faith that they can when they struggle with high school recruiting? Criticize Dudek and Leach all you want but they found two good safeties in the portal in Matthews and Green and they got Randy Charlton. Also got Biscardi who was a solid kicker. Lasoya has been solid and started on the o-line and Cole Smith has been a starter.

Who is our impact portal guy this year? Goede? This group couldn't even pull a quality TE that was eligible despite us having literally zero on the roster. They also grossly misevaluated our needs on edge rushers and at LB.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 07:15 PM

How do you know they can? They haven't yet so why am I supposed to have blind faith that they can when they struggle with high school recruiting? Criticize Dudek and Leach all you want but they found two good safeties in the portal in Matthews and Green and they got Randy Charlton. Also got Biscardi who was a solid kicker. Lasoya has been solid and started on the o-line and Cole Smith has been a starter.

Who is our impact portal guy this year? Goede? This group couldn't even pull a quality TE that was eligible despite us having literally zero on the roster. They also grossly misevaluated our needs on edge rushers and at LB.

Todd ... give it up. This staff is severely hampered by every little thing Leach did. They probably can't even take a shit in the athletic facilities cause Leach clogged up all the damn toilets taking dumps in them. We got no talent, stupid players, all the fans are stupid and don't have jobs above being taco makers, and now this staff can't take a shit cause of Leach either. Which probably means what??? And ALL of this is because of Leach.

Don't concern yourself tho. Once they get all of Leach's screwups corrected, we gonna be good. You just watch ... oh and shut up too. Cause you dumb ****

And maybe they won't be so full of shit either once they unclog the toilets Leach clogged up. That should be a load off their minds.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 07:52 PM

Can you read??? Yea we need instant impact. Get that via the portal. Don't know how else to say it. Don't know why I even respond to you. Nothing gonnna make you happy. Have fun. Blow your trumpet.

Homedawg
11-03-2023, 07:54 PM
Todd ... give it up. This staff is severely hampered by every little thing Leach did. They probably can't even take a shit in the athletic facilities cause Leach clogged up all the damn toilets taking dumps in them. We got no talent, stupid players, all the fans are stupid and don't have jobs above being taco makers, and now this staff can't take a shit cause of Leach either. Which probably means what??? And ALL of this is because of Leach.

Don't concern yourself tho. Once they get all of Leach's screwups corrected, we gonna be good. You just watch ... oh and shut up too. Cause you dumb ****

And maybe they won't be so full of shit either once they unclog the toilets Leach clogged up. That should be a load off their minds.

Congrats for the dumbest post of the day. And that's tough. Enjoy boys. Hope we win tomorrow and you non fans cry. If not we can all cheer on our next coach. Until he sucks or doesn't run the air raid. I'll support him til we fire his ass too. But carry on I'm done w you clowns.

dawgday166
11-03-2023, 08:02 PM
Congrats for the dumbest post of the day. And that's tough. Enjoy boys. Hope we win tomorrow and you non fans cry. If not we can all cheer on our next coach. Until he sucks or doesn't run the air raid. I'll support him til we fire his ass too. But carry on I'm done w you clowns.

Whatever. Sorta like most of you were when Leach was coaching. Not sure about you specifically on that one tho. I hung with JoMo longer than I should have trying to give him a chance even when I realized how bad he was. This is worse.

I was a Leach fan not just an AR fan. And that's part of what's pissing me off cause I was giving this crew a chance, till I knew how bad it was. And y'all keep trying to lump anyone who questions you or disagrees with you in with KB and BSD, and I don't agree with them on hardly nothing at all.

All the excuse makers are like a bunch of our RINO elected reps. Tell you one thing and then do another. As Todd said, talk outta both sides of your mouth.

ETA: Scooba I was using RINOs as an example, not making a political statement of any kind.

Todd4State
11-03-2023, 08:06 PM
Can you read??? Yea we need instant impact. Get that via the portal. Don't know how else to say it. Don't know why I even respond to you. Nothing gonnna make you happy. Have fun. Blow your trumpet.

I'm sorry your friends on the coaching staff feed you bullshit. Apparently like them you don't get it either. We're wasting spots on "depth" that we could use for impact players. And I know they're feeding you bullshit because Rosebowl is saying the same thing about "depth pieces". I'm not even disagreeing with you- you're just the messenger and I know deep down inside you know this is a dumpster fire whether you want to say it now or later or not.

Absolutely wrong about nothing gonnnnnna make me happy. When this staff is fired in a month and if we hire a real coaching staff instead of a bunch of lying rednecks running our football program like a 6A high school in Mississippi I'll be elated to watch some modern football again.

As it is we've gone from Mike Leach's team to the biggest joke in the college football world- Iowa of the SEC.

You can say I'm never happy- but I was right about Dan and his recruiting and I am right about this staff and have been since they've been hired. Not saying that takes special talent or anything- the red flags were there all along not to mention this staff making every same "MSU football mistake" over again from drastically changing the offense with personnel that doesn't fit it to now over relying on JUCO's.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2023, 08:18 PM
Man, we need to run the table or hurry up and get a new coaching staff. We all at each other's throats these days. Not me. But y'all are. Haha

Really Clark?
11-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Man, we need to run the table or hurry up and get a new coaching staff. We all at each other's throats these days. Not me. But y'all are. Haha

https://media0.giphy.com/media/93qjwCxemDVFCGI4nx/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952uyjxc2jz6h5s56ihwy8wqrlqx4ips m9vj9z9jq2k&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Maroonthirteen
11-03-2023, 08:40 PM

State fans, it's ok to not be ok. Get help.

I was driving down today and tried to listen to a State podcast.... my gosh. I switched over to 100.9 The Tide.