PDA

View Full Version : Give us a solid quarterback, and

Cowbell
10-30-2023, 06:44 AM
The conversation right now is totally different. There's no gnashing of teeth. Give us any of the top 4-5 QBs in the league and we beat auburn and South Carolina abd we are playing for 9-3. Without changing anything else. That I will not blame on this current staff. That is also why you can't fire them yet.

Another point is that we have the same record as Clemson, Yet I guarantee you this entire board would take Dabo over our current coaching staff. I believe Dabo is really good coach. I also believe we are in a changing environment, college athletics, and some of these coaches need time to adapt and grow.

Randolph Dupree
10-30-2023, 06:56 AM
It's not the wins and losses as much as it is how poorly we've looked in all of our games. We are not a well coached team.

Coursesuper
10-30-2023, 06:59 AM
It's not the wins and losses as much as it is how poorly we've looked in all of our games. We are not a well coached team.

Yup

Quaoarsking
10-30-2023, 07:02 AM
Please, give us one!

basedog
10-30-2023, 07:19 AM
Only way we get one is with a good HC who has a good OC or HC who takes charge of the offense.

MetEdDawg
10-30-2023, 07:26 AM
Only way we get one is with a good HC who has a good OC or HC who takes charge of the offense.

Or we prioritize in the portal. We need to throw money at a portal QB this off-season.

We must commit to that no matter what we do from a staffing standpoint which means we've got to do whatever is necessary to get it done.

basedog
10-30-2023, 07:28 AM
Probably so.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2023, 07:28 AM
Have some of you even watched our games? QB don't play defense or OL. This staff chose to pay Will, then lie to him AND sign Wright. Holy shit that's malpractice! This staff is done here and things will change.

confucius say
10-30-2023, 07:30 AM
Or we prioritize in the portal. We need to throw money at a portal QB this off-season.

We must commit to that no matter what we do from a staffing standpoint which means we've got to do whatever is necessary to get it done.

Correct. That's where everything starts and stops. I'd be fine getting two honestly.

I started this same thread last week when I said if we had Dart we'd be right on track for 8-4 despite a horrible defense. Still the case. We'd be 5-3 at worst right now. Probably 6-2.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2023, 08:41 AM
Have some of you even watched our games? QB don't play defense or OL. This staff chose to pay Will, then lie to him AND sign Wright. Holy shit that's malpractice! This staff is done here and things will change.

This is the elephant in the room for this year's offense. I've heard from multiple people that they sold Will on coming back by telling him they were sticking with the Air Raid, but would incorporate more run concepts, but that overall the offense would be the same.

Throw in the fact that the DL can't get pressure without blitzing and you have where we are.

CoachT14
10-30-2023, 08:48 AM
The conversation right now is totally different. There's no gnashing of teeth. Give us any of the top 4-5 QBs in the league and we beat auburn and South Carolina abd we are playing for 9-3. Without changing anything else. That I will not blame on this current staff. That is also why you can't fire them yet.

Another point is that we have the same record as Clemson, Yet I guarantee you this entire board would take Dabo over our current coaching staff. I believe Dabo is really good coach. I also believe we are in a changing environment, college athletics, and some of these coaches need time to adapt and grow.

Well if Mullen got Cam he wins a Natty 2011. If Dak had the '18 defense, he wins a Natty. If Leach had recruited over Will he wins 10+ games last year.

If's don't matter. You absolutely can blame the staff for the QB situation. They didn't even try in the portal. They instead paid a below average QB boo-coodles of money to be the QB.

Some of you would give excuse after excuse to any coach just because. Lord.

CoachT14
10-30-2023, 08:49 AM

A good QB is not coming to play for Arnett or Barbay. Sorry about it.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2023, 08:53 AM
A good QB is not coming to play for Arnett or Barbay. Sorry about it.

Hell, looking at our recruiting, nobody wants a part of this. If we lose the few good recruits we've got, it will be the worst class in almost 20 years. It's already barely above that as it is.

TrapGame
10-30-2023, 08:54 AM

We are Moorhead level of poorly coached. Our S&C is off and we look lost on the field.

CaptainObvious
10-30-2023, 08:55 AM
The rebuild should NOT have started this year with a senior-laden team. It should start next year. It needs to still start next year with a completely new Staff top to bottom. If Selmon and Keenum are blind to that, then they need to go too!

BlackSailsDawg
10-30-2023, 08:59 AM

No it would not. We do not have the staff capable of teaching what they are doing. It's why the OL is bad. Nno QB is going to magically correct the issues of this staff

Biguglyjoe
10-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Bingo!

CoachT14
10-30-2023, 09:29 AM
The rebuild should NOT have started this year with a senior-laden team. It should start next year. It needs to still start next year with a completely new Staff top to bottom. If Selmon and Keenum are blind to that, then they need to go too!

I imagine this offseason when Arnett has his large does of humble pie, he is going to wish he'd have made a hire within the Leach system to temporarily hold it together then slowly move to his vision. That may have just delayed the inevitable, because I just don't think Arnett is cut out to be an HC (especially right now), but he still is probably successful this year and gets 2 more years after because of it. I commend him for having the balls to immediately want to go with his vision, but sometimes that isn't always the best thing.

Home runs and extra base hits win a lot of games and as a coach, I may want to let guys just play more... but sometimes you have a team built for small ball. If you try and let them mash you're going to lose a lot of games.

Scoring threes and quick offense wins a lot of games and as a coach, that may be what I want to do... but sometimes you have a team that can't shoot and can play full court man to man defense and win low scoring games. If you try and run and gun with that team, you're going to lose a lot of games.

I say all that to say, that good coaches adapt to the game at hand or the team at hand. Arnett should've had to forsight to say, you know what... I want to be a run ground and pound TOP team.... but we aren't built for that. Let me focus on the defense for my first year as HC and let someone that has ran and Modern AR system from the Leach tree do his thing offensively. Part of me feels bad, part of me doesn't. He's going to get fired and get paid a lot of money.

CaptainObvious
10-30-2023, 10:51 AM
No way Brad Peterson, Steve Campbell, Will Friend, or Schmidt should be anywhere near a college football field. They should have to buy a ticket and sit in the stands and yell at the coaches like the rest of US who know nothing about football !

NCDawg
10-30-2023, 10:55 AM
Our defense is not very good either. We can't get to the QB when we blitz, giving the QB time to look around and find open receivers. Our DB's don't seem to be fast enough to keep up with the open receivers, or they are out of position. Like in the Auburn game, Auburn takes the kickoff and marches right down the field for a TD-then comes back after that and scores again. We have to play catch up the whole game.

R2Dawg
10-30-2023, 12:31 PM

D has been an issue this year for sure but you are correct, good QB play and we are 6-2 for sure. As good statistically as USC was, QB play cost us 14pts. Same as Aub.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2023, 12:43 PM
D has been an issue this year for sure but you are correct, good QB play and we are 6-2 for sure. As good statistically as USC was, QB play cost us 14pts. Same as Aub.

A new QB won't teach the Oline how to block or the receivers to run the correct route. A great QB might be one win better but it isn't like this team is very well coached.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2023, 04:26 PM

We had almost 500 yards passing against SC. QB wasn't the problem. Defense was giving up a couple 97+ scoring drives.
We might beat AU with a great QB, but that's about it. Everybody else beat our ass.
Teams are completing about 72 or 73% of their passes against us. QB isn't going to win us games with that crap going on.

Cowbell
10-30-2023, 04:34 PM
We had almost 500 yards passing against SC. QB wasn't the problem. Defense was giving up a couple 97+ scoring drives.
We might beat AU with a great QB, but that's about it. Everybody else beat our ass.
Teams are completing about 72 or 73% of their passes against us. QB isn't going to win us games with that crap going on.

The qb cost us 14 points in turnovers at SC

Cowbell
10-30-2023, 04:35 PM

I guess it's me, you, and 34 that are idiots

DownwardDawg
10-30-2023, 04:55 PM
We are being laughed at. LSU friend texted me today giving me crap. We look like the bad news bears of the SEC.

DownwardDawg
10-30-2023, 04:58 PM

The defense cost us 30 something.

dawgday166
10-30-2023, 05:08 PM

I said last year QB play was holding us back. But ... no one listened.That didn't matter it was all Leach and his offense. So ... No excuses this year.

Barbay also promised that he would adapt to whatever personnel he had. But that didn't happen either. Lot of broken promises on several fronts.

Leach lacked talent and experience in 2020 plus had a ton of other adversity. No excuses were allowed then.

But ... It's more than that here. This team is poorly coached. The only reason we might've won more with good QB play is because our competition is far beyond just bad.

parabrave
10-30-2023, 05:17 PM

Yep give us some 4 star linemen, especially on the left side. Need some 4 star Dline men and at least 1 3 star LB.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2023, 05:50 PM

The defense didn't stop SC. If you've got to score 39 to win against that terrible team, QB wasn't the difference.

R2Dawg
10-30-2023, 07:25 PM

Agree D is an issue. But Will had 3 TO that cost us at least 14pts. We lost by 7, do the math. That is the only point.

parabrave
10-30-2023, 07:34 PM
Agree D is an issue. But Will had 3 TO that cost us at least 14pts. We lost by 7, do the math. That is the only point.

You must be thinking of the Bama game.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2023, 07:48 PM
You must be thinking of the Bama game.

No he?s right. Will cost us at 14 points aginst usc. Will cost us 17 against bama.

confucius say
10-30-2023, 07:53 PM

Add me

We're not well coached. But we have major talent issues. And primarily at qb

Cooterpoot
10-31-2023, 08:49 AM

Will threw one pick. Y'all acting like he threw 5 picks. He got blown up because of play calling and the OL. And I'm not defending him as much as blaming the bigger problem.
The coaching is horrific. SC stopped stacking the box and we never adjusted one bit the second half.

R2Dawg
10-31-2023, 11:46 AM
Will threw one pick. Y'all acting like he threw 5 picks. He got blown up because of play calling and the OL. And I'm not defending him as much as blaming the bigger problem.
The coaching is horrific. SC stopped stacking the box and we never adjusted one bit the second half.

I know for a fact he had 2 TO. The int cost us a TD. The fumble gave them a TD. Those are both fact. I can't remember if he had another fumble or int but I just gave you fact of 14 pts. If you just like yards then yeah Will did OK but playing QB is more than just yards. Oh wait, Will only had one good yards game all year too.

I never said coaching was good or D was great just good QB play and we are 6-2, that simple. We didn't score a TD 4 times in red zone at Aub. Two times a TO and two FG. Good QB play and we are 6-2 even with a not great D. No team is great everywhere.

Randolph Dupree
10-31-2023, 11:52 AM
We are being laughed at. LSU friend texted me today giving me crap. We look like the bad news bears of the SEC.

Man, I knew our season was hosed when LSU went for it on 4th and 7, in the first quarter, and rather than run a quick slant or something just to get the 1st down, they went for the end zone and got it. I knew right then that we had significant issues and other coaches had already seen that. My glasses are as maroon as anyone's and I'd continued to hope we would turn it around but I've all but lost that hope now.

R2Dawg
10-31-2023, 11:53 AM

If OL was so bad how did statue Will throw for 500 and deep routes develop? No one said Will played a terrible game, just that better QB play on some crucial plays and we win that game. Don't say something that wasn't said.

OL was pretty good from what I remember. Throwing the OL under the bus all the time seems to be the default for everything that is wrong.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2023, 12:34 PM
If OL was so bad how did statue Will throw for 500 and deep routes develop? No one said Will played a terrible game, just that better QB play on some crucial plays and we win that game. Don't say something that wasn't said.

OL was pretty good from what I remember. Throwing the OL under the bus all the time seems to be the default for everything that is wrong.

SC stacked the box and played the run. We had man coverage all over the place. They changed that later in the game.
Rattler only had two incompletions the entire game, but sure, it wasn't the defense that lost that game, LOL.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2023, 02:03 PM

There's no doubt the defense was horrible that game. Will's pick in the red zone cost us at least 3 points and it was a horrible decision. His fumble inside our 20 cost us a td. That's at least 10 points. The loss was definitely a team effort but those turnovers contributed significantly to the loss.

R2Dawg
10-31-2023, 02:21 PM
SC stacked the box and played the run. We had man coverage all over the place. They changed that later in the game.
Rattler only had two incompletions the entire game, but sure, it wasn't the defense that lost that game, LOL.

You miss the forest for the trees. I never said you can't make the case that D cost us the game. All that was said was a good QB and we win that game. Both can be true and no one ever said the D was good or cost us points, etc. Quit trying too hard to push a narrative instead read what a poster says. QB play cost us 14 pts - period. We lost by 7.

If D had played better by 14 pts, we could have won too, but that wasn't the statement made. Good QB play and we win that game and Aub game period. Will and Wright. This ain't a Will thing or a our D is great thing.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2023, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately most close games and games between evenly matched teams come down to situational football(third/fourth down conversions, special teams play,etc) and turnovers, and generally turnovers are the deciding factor. No qb is expected to not ever throw an int or fumble, it's just that in these close games it amplifies the problem. As I said that loss to usce was a team effort. We played poorly on d and ol and were outcoached.

EdwardDrayton
10-31-2023, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately most close games and games between evenly matched teams come down to situational football(third/fourth down conversions, special teams play,etc) and turnovers, and generally turnovers are the deciding factor. No qb is expected to not ever throw an int or fumble, it's just that in these close games it amplifies the problem. As I said that loss to usce was a team effort. We played poorly on d and ol and were outcoached.

In a nutshell ^^^^^^^^

Cooterpoot
10-31-2023, 03:22 PM
You miss the forest for the trees. I never said you can't make the case that D cost us the game. All that was said was a good QB and we win that game. Both can be true and no one ever said the D was good or cost us points, etc. Quit trying too hard to push a narrative instead read what a poster says. QB play cost us 14 pts - period. We lost by 7.

If D had played better by 14 pts, we could have won too, but that wasn't the statement made. Good QB play and we win that game and Aub game period. Will and Wright. This ain't a Will thing or a our D is great thing.

A bad QB doesn't throw for 500 yards in an SEC football game. And once they stopped leaving our guys in single coverage, everything stopped. It was the LSU games in Leach's first year except they made a change.
We had 32 yards rushing total. Gave up 3 sacks. Two 97 yard+ drives given up, only defended 2 passes, and you want to blame one player? Nah, we just suck.

R2Dawg
10-31-2023, 03:54 PM
A bad QB doesn't throw for 500 yards in an SEC football game. And once they stopped leaving our guys in single coverage, everything stopped. It was the LSU games in Leach's first year except they made a change.
We had 32 yards rushing total. Gave up 3 sacks. Two 97 yard+ drives given up, only defended 2 passes, and you want to blame one player? Nah, we just suck.

I give up, you are tone deaf. Never blamed loss on one player. Said good QB play wins game. Great D play wins game too. Again both true. Costello set SEC passing record in one game, so what. That meant LSU D sucked at least coaching did. Will has barely broke 200yards a game all year outside that one game for two reasons - USC ain't good and we were behind so we had to pass a lot - hence didn't run ball much.

The sacks we give up a lot of times if because no pocket presence by our QB and he is a statue. Back to QB play.

All you want to look at is yards and records I guess.