PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Thoughts- Another Week Another Joe Montana Edition

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 08:54 AM
Yesterday my bitching, pissed off, and stewing last well into the night and I am not sure if I am truly even over it right now. But here we go:

1. This staff is an absolute embarrassment. From the top down we look lost. They do nothing well but my god they do plenty wrong. Brock needs to be let go this morning. If Arnett wants any chance to keep his job he is going to have to take over the defense.

2. I have never seen regression from a defense like this one. Everyone looks two steps slower than they were last year. DCam is just plain awful in coverage. He cannot tackle on top of being bad in coverage. Hell our defense as a whole takes just AWFUL tackling angles. In fact, every one of our corners has regressed. McBath has done a piss poor job in coaching them up or being able to evaluate who can actually play. So he fits right in with the current defensive staff.

3. Good to see our D back in their old form of making the QB they are playing the next conference player of the week. It is absolutely incredible that we are about to make Peyton Thorne the SEC Offensive Player of The Week. He was avg under 175 yds passing a game and we let him go for 230 and 3 TDs.

4. The QB debate needs to be over. It is very easy to see why Mike Wright lost the QB job at Vandy. He is one read and then just throws up a prayer. He will not even do what he does best and run it. He could have ran for a TD late yesterday to make it 27-20 and instead tries to force a ball into an impossible window. He also had Tulu standing wide open multiple times and did not throw it. He is a package QB and nothing else.

5. Parson, yes it is spelled with no S, is simply not ready. Throwing him into the fire yesterday would have done nothing but kill what little confidence he may have had. It will be the same for the next two weeks. If Will is back by USM then it is a moot point, but USM would be the first game I would realistically give him a series other than mop up duty.

6. Everyone enjoy Zavion, Tulu, Whittemore, Robinson, etc. for the next few games because if this staff is retained they are definitely hitting the portal and they are probably hitting it anyways. We have never had this much WR talent in our program and we have effectively pissed it away. Our shit for brains OC could not figure out how to lose it when we actually had a QB and now we cannot use it because our QB cannot throw accurately other than a throw here or there.

7. Speaking of receivers, it actually was impressive to watch Zavion play yesterday. He fought the whole day and had easily his best game at State. Tulu however looked like he had given up. Uncharacteristic drops, running into other players, not running routes full speed. He looked completely checked out.

8. How is the left side of our line this incredibly bad? Like they were consistently blown through like they were standing still today. And they missed blocks when they were run blocking.

9. The turning point of the game was the 4th and 1 with a minute left in the 1st half. That was a 10 pt swing. Wright should be giving that 9.5 times out of 10. The only time you do not give that is if the line washes everything inside and you can score on the outside. That took the game from 17-10 or 17-6 to 24-3 and it was over. We get points there and are able to get the ball back it is at least a thought we might could make a game out of it.

10. Hey, at least Ferrie got the yips out of him.

11. Regardless of what happens and barring we roll off 4 straight wins to close out the season, this staff needs to be canned. We cannot roll it back with Arnett again next year and be even remotely competitive in the SEC. Our road games next year are OM, UGA, Tennessee, and Texas. If we roll this staff back again, we may score a combined 6 points in those games.

12. This cannot be AR Cult vs Ground and Pound Good Ole Boys anymore. It is a do we want to win or do we want to settle for being below average to mediocre.

TrapGame
10-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Arnett should have been running the defense after LSU. He doesn't have the guts to drop Brock. He's so far in over his head he has no clue how to get out. Giving him another year should be completely out of question after yesterday. Auburn is a very mediocre team and we couldn't even compete. They were in control of that game from the kickoff.

RockyDog
10-29-2023, 09:14 AM
On your point 12, most fans just want to win. The cult has turned it into a see we could be winning if we had kept it the same argument and that is just not reality.

Maybe Leach was the glue that held that wobbly house of cards together, but he’s not here. And nobody in house was going to do it like he did. We don’t have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to compete in any offense against decent SEC opponents. Then we have fools trying to make everyone believe that we were so much better than we actually were last year. It’s a ridiculous circle jerk that wont end.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2023, 09:16 AM
The good thing if we fire Arnett we are only on the hook for $4.5 Million. Even less if he gets another job.

sandjunky
10-29-2023, 09:16 AM
I fully expect this staff back - Arnett

Because we are MSTATE and we like to MSTATE it up

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 09:21 AM
On your point 12, most fans just want to win. The cult has turned it into a see we could be winning if we had kept it the same argument and that is just not reality.

Maybe Leach was the glue that held that wobbly house of cards together, but he’s not here. And nobody in house was going to do it like he did. We don’t have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to compete in any offense against decent SEC opponents. Then we have fools trying to make everyone believe that we were so much better than we actually were last year. It’s a ridiculous circle jerk that wont end.

The AR cult seems to be forgetting something and you hit the nail on the head with it. HE IS NOT HERE, HE IS NOT COMING BACK, AND NOBODY DID IT LIKE HIM.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 09:22 AM
The good thing if we fire Arnett we are only on the hook for $4.5 Million. Even less if he gets another job.

And that 4.5 can be spread over 3 years so at most it is 1.5 mil a year and will be less when he gets a DC job.

Santiago
10-29-2023, 10:01 AM

Maybe Leach was the glue that held that wobbly house of cards together, but he?s not here. And nobody in house was going to do it like he did. We don?t have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to compete in any offense against decent SEC opponents. Then we have fools trying to make everyone believe that we were so much better than we actually were last year. It?s a ridiculous circle jerk that wont end.

So you agreed with point #12, and then took shots again.
All I have basically seen from what you guys call "AR Cult" is that they were upset we took a 9 win team(who also played Georgia) last year, and nuked it all because we had some alumni, and staff thinking they were too good for all that. Never mind, that is winning above our historical average.
You had juniors, seniors returning that could run that offense in their sleep from so many repetitions the past 3 years. The "cult" was just calling it all out at the stupidity to nuke it in one offseason, and by a HC that knows nothing about offense. He was getting his expertise on offense from those around him.
The most MSU thing ever. Let a DC as HC create "his vision" of offense and with the help of those around him that think winning 9 games each year in another system is beneath them.
Then lets add that those circling the wagons all off season and during the season for this stupidity tried to drown out those that were fans of winning 9 games with a system that fits MSU, as being "an AR cult". Good marketing on their part to diminish any other viewpoint if you were not on board with this crap.

MetEdDawg
10-29-2023, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have faith that our leadership will go out and spend the necessary money to get a better staff?

My question as it always is, if we fire Arnett and most everyone else, so we really think we are going to get someone better?

Are we gonna pony up 7-8 million for an HC and another 7-8 million for an on field staff? I just don't see it.

So we can say hey let's fire Arnett and everyone else. But for as much complaining as folks have done about our leadership, do y'all think we will hire anyone that would move the needle?

I'm not saying I think they will or won't be able to, but this board complains about Selmon and Keenum everyday, yet they want them to fire everyone after less than a year of a head coach passing away and start from scratch again. How can some on here justify that line of thinking?

DownwardDawg
10-29-2023, 10:07 AM

Lately it's been the "anti AR cult" that won't let it go. Our fanbase in general just sucks these days.
I don't care what we run on offense. I just want it to look like an SEC team.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have faith that our leadership will go out and spend the necessary money to get a better staff?

My question as it always is, if we fire Arnett and most everyone else, so we really think we are going to get someone better?

Are we gonna pony up 7-8 million for an HC and another 7-8 million for an on field staff? I just don't see it.

So we can say hey let's fire Arnett and everyone else. But for as much complaining as folks have done about our leadership, do y'all think we will hire anyone that would move the needle?

I'm not saying I think they will or won't be able to, but this board complains about Selmon and Keenum everyday, yet they want them to fire everyone after less than a year of a head coach passing away and start from scratch again. How can some on here justify that line of thinking?

Selmon is definitely on the clock. I'm not sold on his leadership abilities but time will tell.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2023, 10:15 AM
To the OP, yes, this staff needs to go ASAP. I remember the Croom years clearly. We are there again or well on our way.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2023, 10:19 AM

You are asking the wrong questions. The only question that matters is does Selmon feel the trio of Arnett-Brock-Barbay are the right guys to lead the program in this new era of the SEC and college football.

MetEdDawg
10-29-2023, 10:24 AM
You are asking the wrong questions. The only question that matters is does Selmon feel the trio of Arnett-Brock-Barbay are the right guys to lead the program in this new era of the SEC and college football.

I guess I disagree to an extent. They may not be right now, but as a university have we done what is necessary to accurately determine that? Is the structure set up for them to succeed? Because I would argue it's not and that unless we make a strong commitment to football, firing someone after less than a year is ridiculous.

We've got to commit to HC and staff if we are going to make a change. Change for the sake of change isn't always the best course of action, especially if you can't guarantee a viable organization, which I don't think we can right now.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2023, 10:26 AM
I guess I disagree to an extent. They may not be right now, but as a university have we done what is necessary to accurately determine that? Is the structure set up for them to succeed? Because I would argue it's not and that unless we make a strong commitment to football, firing someone after less than a year is ridiculous.

We've got to commit to HC and staff if we are going to make a change. Change for the sake of change isn't always the best course of action, especially if you can't guarantee a viable organization, which I don't think we can right now.

Arnett's contract is structured where he's basically an interim HC. He was not hired by the current AD. He wasn't hired by an AD at all. So, this isn't a normal situation.

Mjoelner34
10-29-2023, 10:40 AM
On point #11, the ONLY way I even think about bringing anyone on the staff back is IF we roll off 4 in a row and then its still 50/50 at best. This was a veteran club coming off of a 9 win season. Some hiccups should have been expected with a new staff and a new scheme on offense but nothing should have changed on defense. As far as the offense and those hiccups in a new system go, those should have been gone after going through a full spring, fall camp and the first 3 games of the year. Instead, we have shown zero improvement on offense while the defense has taken a major step back under the same system we have run the past 3 years. What argument, outside of winning the last 4, can anyone make that anyone on this staff should be retained next year when we lose most all of our experienced players? Oh, I'm not even throwing recruiting and the whole lock down Mississippi into the equation. And if we do make a change, if Selmon or Keenum even mention "They're a dawg. They're one of us." or "They've been here before so they're familiar with how we operate" when speaking about new hires, they need a swift kick in the nuts!

Santiago
10-29-2023, 10:53 AM
Lately it's been the "anti AR cult" that won't let it go. Our fanbase in general just sucks these days.
I don't care what we run on offense. I just want it to look like an SEC team.

Agree with you, and even before Leach died there was a movement of those griping, as we won 9 games in a season with Georgia as our East opponent. The "anti AR cult" to me were the original "cult" people, griping the last couple of years as we were winning games above our historical average.

BlackSailsDawg
10-29-2023, 11:04 AM

That's completely BS.

We have 7 receivers that are 4 star guys. We have never had that much talent in those rooms!

We have 2 four star RBs and Seth Davis (a beast of a back) and Pittman.

We have a record breaking 70% passer.

This staff can not teach what they are trying to install and we made a bad choice. But this whole Leach did not recruit is BS!

BlackSailsDawg
10-29-2023, 11:06 AM
The AR cult seems to be forgetting something and you hit the nail on the head with it. HE IS NOT HERE, HE IS NOT COMING BACK, AND NOBODY DID IT LIKE HIM.

It has never been about hiring a ML clone. We wanted a modernized version and that would have kept the flow in recruiting 4 star WRs and QBs and RBs. Instead, we are reverting back to the 50% passers.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 11:13 AM
It has never been about hiring a ML clone. We wanted a modernized version and that would have kept the flow in recruiting 4 star WRs and QBs and RBs. Instead, we are reverting back to the 50% passers.

I am not getting into yet another argument with you guys. Every coach you have brought forward has been Air Raid and not the modern version. Or it has been the complete other direction with some of you suggesting Chadwell, which is about as far away from AR as Arnett. Also, please read #12. End the 17 arguments. Stop sticking up for someone that no one has insulted. This has been a 10 month dick measuring contest brought upon by KB21 and it has forced everyone to pick sides when 90% of folks are sick and tired of both sides.

BlackSailsDawg
10-29-2023, 11:16 AM
I am not getting into yet another argument with you guys. Every coach you have brought forward has been Air Raid and not the modern version. Or it has been the complete other direction with some of you suggesting Chadwell, which is about as far away from AR as Arnett. Also, please read #12. End the 17 arguments. Stop sticking up for someone that no one has insulted. This has been a 10 month dick measuring contest brought upon by KB21 and it has forced everyone to pick sides when 90% of folks are sick and tired of both sides.

Because nobody is stuck on AR. Is Tom Herman AR? The whole issue is the complete change with a vet team that we only had for 1 more year.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 11:18 AM
Because nobody is stuck on AR. Is Tom Herman AR? The whole issue is the complete change with a vet team that we only had for 1 more year.

You wanted Jake Dikert and Sean Lewis 3 weeks ago. Now since their offense blows you have moved on. You just jumped on the Herman train when KB did.

Santiago
10-29-2023, 11:27 AM
You wanted Jake Dikert and Sean Lewis 3 weeks ago. Now since their offense blows you have moved on. You just jumped on the Herman train when KB did.

I still like Sean Lewis as a candidate. We will need several on that list most likely, who have low buyouts. Colorado has almost nothing for an OL and roster, and he made them a better team.
Dikert is still interesting as is the Oregon State coach. I think Dikert has a large buyout though.
I always subscribe to the thought we need a coach that knows how to do more with less talent and can identify talent. Every school says that, but it rings true for MSU in the SEC.
Herman is probably an option due to his past experience, and low buyout. He definitely would make for a big splash in recruiting also.

I just want a coach that is not listening to a network of advisors, and instead knows how to come into our program and look around and know what needs to be done.

Really Clark?
10-29-2023, 11:32 AM
I still like Sean Lewis as a candidate. We will need several on that list most likely, who have low buyouts. Colorado has almost nothing for an OL and roster, and he made them a better team.
Dikert is still interesting as is the Oregon State coach. I think Dikert has a large buyout though.
I always subscribe to the thought we need a coach that knows how to do more with less talent and can identify talent. Every school says that, but it rings true for MSU in the SEC.
Herman is probably an option due to his past experience, and low buyout. He definitely would make for a big splash in recruiting also.

Without a huge turnaround the rest of the year, losing to a 1-6 AZ St and 4 in row has dropped down the lists or eliminated Dickert from potential jobs.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 11:53 AM

I just want a coach that is not listening to a network of advisors, and instead knows how to come into our program and look around and know what needs to be done.

Which is where we were the same. Mullen was an outlier because he had been around Urban for so long he knew exactly what to do. It is why I want guys like Herman, Chadwell, and even Mullen. They have shown they know what it takes to build programs. Fritz could be on that list as well because of his building of Tulane and Georgia Southern.

Homedawg
10-30-2023, 10:25 AM
Selmon is definitely on the clock. I'm not sold on his leadership abilities but time will tell.

NOt sold is an understatement. Disaster is more like it. Can't even describe the mess.

sandjunky
10-30-2023, 10:29 AM
NOt sold is an understatement. Disaster is more like it. Can't even describe the mess.

The Rick Ray of ADs?

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2023, 10:37 AM

What do you want him to do? Put out a press release that we are actively searching for a new HC? Send you an email with his interviewing itinerary? I am just not sure what makes you think he is a disaster AD. Th guy has been here for 8 or 9 months.

Homedawg
10-30-2023, 10:41 AM
What do you want him to do? Put out a press release that we are actively searching for a new HC? Send you an email with his interviewing itinerary? I am just not sure what makes you think he is a disaster AD. Th guy has been here for 8 or 9 months.

my comment has absolutely Zero to do w him and the coaching search.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2023, 10:59 AM

Not good. It's the MSU way.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2023, 11:03 AM

I know one thing is 100% for sure and that's that Homedawg doesn't just talk to be talking. Better pay attention.

Tripp McNeely
10-30-2023, 11:04 AM

Can you elaborate?

gtowndawg
10-30-2023, 01:53 PM
I know one thing is 100% for sure and that's the Homedawg doesn't just talk to be talking. Better pay attention.

Yes, I would love for him to elaborate (if possible).

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2023, 02:45 PM
Yes, I would love for him to elaborate (if possible).

Same. I have no clue what he is trying to infer unless he is still mad he let Lemonis stay. And maybe that is it. I know that has soured him in the minds of a lot.