PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen

Randolph Dupree
10-29-2023, 07:37 AM
This isn't a "we should bring back Dan Mullen" thread. I'm not even addressing that. BUT since there have been some posts about it, and then Kirby called out Mullen's recruiting it got me wondering if MSU Mullen would've done better in recruiting with NIL?

I think he probably would've. Staff was good at finding and developing talent (so you're not battling other programs for NIL for these kids). He was able to get some star talent, but didn't seem willing to play the game to the level others were to get someone elite (I.e. Cam Newton). I always felt like Mullen knew he would get a bigger job and didn't want to risk that by getting caught up in a pay for play scandal.

Again, NOT SUGGESTING WE ATTEMPT TO REHIRE DAN MULLEN.

msstate7
10-29-2023, 07:40 AM
As the #1 mullen fan (even more than his wife, kids, and mother), I have real concerns with his successful strategy he employed here. The transfer portal could really hurt holding kids for development. Still, I'd take him back

Randolph Dupree
10-29-2023, 07:50 AM
As the #1 mullen fan (even more than his wife, kids, and mother), I have real concerns with his successful strategy he employed here. The transfer portal could really hurt holding kids for development. Still, I'd take him back

Good point but the portal and NIL could've been benefit. Also those developmental guys are a crap shoot anyway, so the portal would make it easier to replace those that aren't working out. The assumption is that if the developmental guy is working out he's getting playing time.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 08:07 AM
This isn't a "we should bring back Dan Mullen" thread. I'm not even addressing that. BUT since there have been some posts about it, and then Kirby called out Mullen's recruiting it got me wondering if MSU Mullen would've done better in recruiting with NIL?

I think he probably would've. Staff was good at finding and developing talent (so you're not battling other programs for NIL for these kids). He was able to get some star talent, but didn't seem willing to play the game to the level others were to get someone elite (I.e. Cam Newton). I always felt like Mullen knew he would get a bigger job and didn't want to risk that by getting caught up in a pay for play scandal.

Oh Dan was plenty ready to play the game and do what it took to get Cam. Our morality Olympics boosters “did not want to win that way”

bulldawg28
10-29-2023, 08:15 AM
Dan played the game. If not we don't get Chris Jones or any player worth having.

TheLostDawg
10-29-2023, 08:19 AM
Dan played the game. If not we don't get Chris Jones or any player worth having.

Yes. Add Simmons to that list.
Not sure about this but maybe Hill coming back?

bulldawg28
10-29-2023, 08:21 AM
Yes. Add Simmons to that list.
Not sure about this but maybe Hill coming back?

Did Hill play under Mullen? He's linked to Jomo in my mind.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 08:23 AM
Did Hill play under Mullen? He's linked to Jomo in my mind.

Yes. Hill came in with the 17 class. Caught a TD in the Egg Bowl.

TheLostDawg
10-29-2023, 08:25 AM
You're right. I was more thinking on the lines of "convincing" players to come/ stay.

Offshore Dawg
10-29-2023, 08:27 AM
I would think Dan is happy in his present gig, with nobody mad at him and still getting paid by Florida.

BulldogBear
10-29-2023, 09:32 AM
@OP

Nothing wrong with wondering about the alternate universe where DM never left lol

phatdog
10-29-2023, 09:55 AM

I would take ******* back. He would damn sure make an SEC QB out of Mike Wright.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2023, 10:12 AM
I don't want Dan back. Dan doesn't want to come back. Let's stop this nonsense. But we do need a coach like Dan. Someone who is excellent at coaching and developing QB's.

Randolph Dupree
10-29-2023, 10:14 AM
@OP

Nothing wrong with wondering about the alternate universe where DM never left lol

Look if Mullen WANTS to come back here, I'm ok with it. I just didn't want the thread to be a "go hire Mullen" thread. If the dude wants to coach again and decides he's completely bought in to be at MSU, I think we'd be dumb to pass that up but I don't know his situation and honestly don't care if we get him or someone else. I know what I've watched all season is a REALLY POORLY coached team though, and that a change is justified.

BuckyIsAB****
10-29-2023, 10:41 AM
We should absolutely make a call and find out if he wants to come back with the only school that ever truly loved him and put up with his BS year after year. I was in the never forgive Mullen boat, but I am out of it now

phatdog
10-29-2023, 12:02 PM
We should absolutely make a call and find out if he wants to come back with the only school that ever truly loved him and put up with his BS year after year. I was in the never forgive Mullen boat, but I am out of it now

maybe we tell him he can wear shorts to the games

BankerDog
10-29-2023, 01:41 PM
You're right. I was more thinking on the lines of "convincing" players to come/ stay.

The Leo Lewis story with Mullen is my favorite recruiting story

RocketDawg
10-29-2023, 02:00 PM

I'd love to have him back.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Kirby Smart said yesterday Mullen doesnt like to recruit.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2023, 06:20 PM

I mean we knew that for the 9 years he was here.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
10-30-2023, 07:11 AM

I was a huge Mullen fan. He brought energy back into a lifeless program. The kind of energy MSU had not seen since JWS in the late 90"s. Whether he would come back to MSU or not I don't know. If I was guessing, I would say that he wouldn't.

BuckyIsAB****
10-31-2023, 06:06 PM

Hes better at it than what we have rn

CaptainObvious
10-31-2023, 06:19 PM
Hes better at it than what we have rn

A different day now than it was 6plus years ago. Dan?s ?I?m a cool Bro schtick? wearing his Yeezy shoes or whatever you whippersnappers call them wouldn?t work for recruits now.

DownwardDawg
10-31-2023, 06:41 PM
A different day now than it was 6plus years ago. Dan?s ?I?m a cool Bro schtick? wearing his Yeezy shoes or whatever you whippersnappers call them wouldn?t work for recruits now.

And still better than what we have now. And I agree with everything you posted.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-31-2023, 06:57 PM
Mullen 2 would be a lot worse than Polk 2

CaptainObvious
10-31-2023, 07:02 PM

I don?t think that would be possible. Although Polk 2 did take us to Omaha for 2 and BBQ, Mullen took State to a Bowl Game every year but his first. Not many State Coaches in the modern ERA beat Ole Miss 3 Straight times. In fact, only 1.

parabrave
10-31-2023, 07:33 PM

Mullen wouldn't spend every last second fighting the NCAA instead of coaching. Just the last 2 games of the season looking for other coaching jobs. And that has probably left his system.

Mjoelner34
10-31-2023, 07:37 PM
I'm indifferent if he came back but it'd be our luck that he would show immediate signs of turning things around like 2009 then James Franklin would get shit-canned at the end of 2024 and Penn State would come calling. Isn't that the school everybody always said he was wanting?

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2023, 09:00 PM

You mean just like Lane Kiffin? Seems to work pretty well for him.

schddog72
10-31-2023, 09:02 PM

Why, Jim? So you can keep us all informed as to the latest "Dan Mullen to (fill in the blank)" beginning in November of every year just before the EB?

Mullen would be working the phones, or his agent would, for better job openings before his first day of practice in 'Vegas.

I have said about every coach that ever left MSU voluntarily during my lifetime: "If you don't want to be here, I don't want you here!!" Be good or be gone!!

Nope, no way DM gets a do-over from me!!

TheLostDawg
11-01-2023, 07:13 AM
Aj brown. That is all

msstate7
11-01-2023, 07:15 AM
Why, Jim? So you can keep us all informed as to the latest "Dan Mullen to (fill in the blank)" beginning in November of every year just before the EB?

Mullen would be working the phones, or his agent would, for better job openings before his first day of practice in 'Vegas.

I have said about every coach that ever left MSU voluntarily during my lifetime: "If you don't want to be here, I don't want you here!!" Be good or be gone!!

Nope, no way DM gets a do-over from me!!

Yeah, having a coach no one wants is so much preferable

Tater
11-01-2023, 10:39 AM
I would take ******* back. He would damn sure make an SEC QB out of Mike Wright.

I mean we saw the offense that Mullen would have ran with Wright. Wright isn't a bruiser with speed. Auburn game was as much rope as Wright could have.

maroonmania
11-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Have no idea if he would be interested but heck yes I would take Mullen back if he wanted to come back. He is literally the ONLY coach on the face of the planet still in prime coaching age that has proven he can win at MState. I mean although apparently plenty of Americans seem to think Biden is not too old and senile to be president, I've eliminated JWS from our possible coaching candidate pool.

Goldendawg
11-01-2023, 08:37 PM
Does the "Country Club" also get a second run and will he have 5 DC's lined up for the first 5 seasons?**

RocketDawg
11-01-2023, 08:39 PM

He's a lot more well-known now than when we hired him, since he's been at Florida and now ESPN. I think he'd be a good hire.

Pancho
11-02-2023, 05:56 AM
Aj brown. That is all

The cigar boys didn't pony up the ca$h fast enough on AJ. freeze had a personal friend in the SHS staff who facilitated the entire scheme and it worked well for AJ. The heat got to the assistant coach on staff and he left town and headed north for a HC position. He has now relocated to a county just west of oxford as HC.

parabrave
11-02-2023, 01:34 PM
AJ always said Merls didn't give him any "love". But he wasn't coming here and most know it. Most are pissed because he went to OM.

shoeless joe
11-03-2023, 12:55 PM
AJ always said Merls didn't give him any "love". But he wasn't coming here and most know it. Most are pissed because he went to OM.

exactly...he was NEVER going to come to state. this was known by all those anywhere near him fairly early in his high school career. what is interesting is that less than a week before signing day he was telling former SHS athletics "legends" that he was going to play for saban.