PDA

View Full Version : There's no reason to keep arnett

msstate7
10-28-2023, 03:57 PM
He's embarrassed us for the last acceptable time. He should be done immediately. F him! F this staff!

lastmajordog
10-28-2023, 04:46 PM
I think he was put in a horrible position, but going back further why in the **** did it take so long to find to get a AD? I hate if but that is one of the things the Ditch does better than MSU, they seem to have much better leadership. Now with NIL bidding machine I don’t know if the DOGS can catch up...

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 04:49 PM
Selmon is on the clock. We are going to find out a lot about his administrative demeanor.

msudawg1200
10-28-2023, 04:49 PM
Ive never, I mean never, been one to want to jump out and fire a coach without giving them time, etc. Not this time though. He was hired because of a death of a coach that happened at the worst possible time in a football sense. He then nuked the offense and staff of said coach, after being hired to keep familiarity. He'd never had been considered for the job at any other point. He needs to go. Now. And take his coaches with him.
For C34 and his band of merry idiots, I am not an AR cultist at all. I just know good coaches and bad coaches. This is extra bad.

Maroonthirteen
10-28-2023, 04:51 PM
Does Arnett already know something we don't?

His demeanor this game has been very matter of fact. Arms folded, just looking up at the scoreboard. No fire. No energy like he had.

msstate7
10-28-2023, 04:51 PM
I hated the hire from the start. I thought it was lazy AF. I really tried to buy in and give him an honest chance at winning me over. He failed. He and whoever hired him should be hand cleaning septic tanks next week. I'm done. F them - both of them

Maverick91
10-28-2023, 05:32 PM

His demeanor this game has been very matter of fact. Arms folded, just looking up at the scoreboard. No fire. No energy like he had.

That is very true… but he has been doing that all year as well.

Quaoarsking
10-28-2023, 05:39 PM
Selmon is on the clock. We are going to find out a lot about his administrative demeanor.

We basically already learned that back in June, sadly.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 05:56 PM
We basically already learned that back in June, sadly.

He got a pass on that. I don't totally agree with it but I understand it. There is no pass for Arnett.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 05:58 PM

Sexton has been texting him telling him Selmon is asking about some of his clients and gauging interest in our job. That would be my guess.

Maverick91
10-28-2023, 05:58 PM
He got a pass on that. I don't totally agree with it but I understand it. There is no pass for Arnett.

Non it needs to happen now, we need to get a jump in the other openings that will be there at end of year.

Todd4State
10-28-2023, 05:59 PM

Nah. Beating Arkansas wasn't going to get him fired for this game. He just doesn't know what the hell to do in general.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 06:00 PM
Non it needs to happen now, we need to get a jump in the other openings that will be there at end of year.

There is no guarantee we get a top notch coach pulling the trigger now. Besides, if Selmon is worth his salt he's already been talking to agents and gauging interest. Do not pull the trigger unless you have two or three good candidates with serious interest.

Todd4State
10-28-2023, 06:03 PM
There is no guarantee we get a top notch coach pulling the trigger now. Besides, if Selmon is worth his salt he's already been talking to agents and gauging interest. Do not pull the trigger unless you have two or three good candidates with serious interest.

We're a SEC school. There should be some interest.

Maverick91
10-28-2023, 06:06 PM

I understand this thought, but in this case where you aren’t keeping him no matter what. Make the move to show these coaches you are serious.

Todd4State
10-28-2023, 06:08 PM
I understand this thought, but in this case where you aren’t keeping him no matter what. Make the move to show these coaches you are serious.

Yep. Keeping someone that isn't the answer isn't the answer.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 06:21 PM

It won't help any and firing him at 4-4 in his first year (5-4 overall record) will shrink the pool of coaches even more.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 06:28 PM
It won't help any and firing him at 4-4 in his first year (5-4 overall record) will shrink the pool of coaches even more.

Total Horseshit. What will shrink our pool is our NIL shortfall. A coach worth anything can see exactly what is going on here. Plus it?s a very small fraternity they know what is up.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 06:34 PM
Total Horseshit. What will shrink our pool is our NIL shortfall. A coach worth anything can see exactly what is going on here. Plus it?s a very small fraternity they know what is up.

Nope. It won't help us to fire him right now. It will shrink the coaching pool and it will not help us get in front other schools anyway. That coaching fraternity, they will wait for the coaching carousel to open up at the end of the season. But firing him with a losing record from what happened with Coach Leach passing, now you have a story to tell that matches the losing season. That fraternity don't care for a school not giving a coach a fair shake even if it looks bad, especially in 1 year.

Saltydog
10-28-2023, 06:37 PM
There was no reason to hire him to being with, much less keep him. The whole "continuity" narrative was bullshit.

Dawgology
10-28-2023, 06:48 PM
As much as I want to say “let him go now, cut our losses, and let Barbay interim until the end of the season, it’s not a great idea. No head coach worth their salt will accept any job until the season is totally over and then you are going to be competing with other opening. It IS time for the administration to start putting a list together and contacting agents. Selmon HAS to make a homerun hire or the program is wrecked for the foreseeable future. The football program is in a salvageable position right now but another year of this or a bad, low quality hire will put the program deep enough in a hole that it will probably never get out of it. Back the Brinks truck up to the head coach we WANT and force him to say NO to more money than he is ever seen. This program has no choice.

EdwardDrayton
10-28-2023, 06:48 PM
Nothing is going to happen until season's end.

EdwardDrayton
10-28-2023, 06:50 PM
We're going to find out if Zac is the hire we want him to be. He got a pass on Lemonade because he was so new on the job. But the honeymoon is over.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 06:53 PM
Nope. It won't help us to fire him right now. It will shrink the coaching pool and it will not help us get in front other schools anyway. That coaching fraternity, they will wait for the coaching carousel to open up at the end of the season. But firing him with a losing record from what happened with Coach Leach passing, now you have a story to tell that matches the losing season. That fraternity don't care for a school not giving a coach a fair shake even if it looks bad, especially in 1 year.

This is the kind of attitude that has MSU and the rest of this backward ass state exactly where we are. Thanks for nothing.

civildawg
10-28-2023, 06:54 PM
As much as I want to say “let him go now, cut our losses, and let Barbay interim until the end of the season, it’s not a great idea. No head coach worth their salt will accept any job until the season is totally over and then you are going to be competing with other opening. It IS time for the administration to start putting a list together and contacting agents. Selmon HAS to make a homerun hire or the program is wrecked for the foreseeable future. The football program is in a salvageable position right now but another year of this or a bad, low quality hire will put the program deep enough in a hole that it will probably never get out of it. Back the Brinks truck up to the head coach we WANT and force him to say NO to more money than he is ever seen. This program has no choice.

Correct on all points. Let arnett finish it out but start talking to agents of home run hires, offer 6-7 million a year and make them tell you no. If they do, move to the next guy

DesotoDog1967
10-28-2023, 06:59 PM
Joe Judge time it is

BlackSailsDawg
10-28-2023, 07:01 PM
We're going to find out if Zac is the hire we want him to be. He got a pass on Lemonade because he was so new on the job. But the honeymoon is over.

We have already found out

HoopsDawg
10-28-2023, 07:02 PM
We have already found out

how so?

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:02 PM
This is the kind of attitude that has MSU and the rest of this backward ass state exactly where we are. Thanks for nothing.

Not really. Believe what you want. There is no evidence that a program at our level does any better trying to "get ahead" of other schools. Especially when you fire a coach with a record over .500 in his first actual first year. Firing him at 4-8, 5-7 will make a difference and we are going to have through the pecking order of other schools anyway. Give me a biggest pool of coaches we can have because he absolutely have to get this hire correct making another change in just 6 years.

BlackSailsDawg
10-28-2023, 07:03 PM

It will not hurt us in getting a coach. At all.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:03 PM
Correct on all points. Let arnett finish it out but start talking to agents of home run hires, offer 6-7 million a year and make them tell you no. If they do, move to the next guy

I agree

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:05 PM
It will not hurt us in getting a coach. At all.

Ok, well it's not going to happen because Selmon is thinking the exact same. It's the correct decision, let him get to an obvious losing season and you can make a better case.

CaptainObvious
10-28-2023, 07:05 PM
Joe Judge time it is

My goodness. I know you are joking but wouldn?t they be a typical small minded hire.

As for Keenum, he knew State would never qualify for a 4 team playoff, so he pushed and got the 12 team playoff, and then proceeded to handicap State so bad, we have no chance of making a 12 team playoff. Meanwhile, in Oxford-

Dawgology
10-28-2023, 07:15 PM
My goodness. I know you are joking but wouldn?t they be a typical small minded hire.

As for Keenum, he knew State would never qualify for a 4 team playoff, so he pushed and got the 12 team playoff, and then proceeded to handicap State so bad, we have no chance of making a 12 team playoff. Meanwhile, in Oxford-

This. You can’t say the rural state of Mississippi is the reason we aren’t competing because it’s happening 2 hours north. It’s poor planning and management by MSU administration. This is reflected in all aspects of the football program presently, from game day atmosphere, to coaching hires, to recruiting and fundraising. There is an old regime still within the department that is killing us because it’s much easier to keep doing what you always do and collect a government check than it is to push for better.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 07:29 PM
Ok, well it's not going to happen because Selmon is thinking the exact same. It's the correct decision, let him get to an obvious losing season and you can make a better case.

Precisely. Firing a coach, especially first year, mid season is bush league and will not get us positive media. Let Selmon work behind the scenes gauging interest and setting up interviews for early December.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:30 PM
Precisely. Firing a coach, especially first year, mid season is bush league and will not get us positive media. Let Selmon work behind the scenes gauging interest and setting up interviews for early December.

Exactly

DesotoDog1967
10-28-2023, 07:31 PM
Leach was out there throwing down folding chairs in the last Auburn game while Zac had his arms folded

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 07:32 PM

Um, hey, old guys, the signing period is in December. Try to keep up.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:36 PM

The last game of the season is 11/25. We would not be making a hire before the end of November first of December regardless. Just like every school last year.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 07:42 PM
The last game of the season is 11/25. We would not be making a hire before the end of November first of December regardless.

Further and further behind we fall. It hey we just have to do things the right way don?t we. Hail Missippy Tate.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 07:45 PM
Further and further behind we fall. It hey we just have to do things the right way don?t we. Hail Missippy Tate.

Do you honestly think we would make a hire before the end of the season? Go look at when schools made hires last season. After the last game, end of November / first of Dec. Just like I said. Clueless

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 08:02 PM
Do you honestly think we would make a hire before the end of the season? Go look at when schools made hires last season. After the last game, end of November / first of Dec. Just like I said. Clueless

Man 17 you, where did I say that. I didn?t even insinuate it. We won?t make a move before the end of the season because we are Missippy tate. But we could for once, ever, be proactive instead of reactive to every situation. But we won?t, we will dick around we will be cheap and get exactly what we are paying for, the same shit we have seeing since forever. I hope you 17ers enjoy sitting in the back of the bus because that?s where you have put us and exactly where we deserve to be with this kind decision making. Like one of the largest backers of our brethren to the east said when I worked for them ?think small be small?, we have that one covered.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 08:06 PM

Hey, Mr. Tiky Tok, that's why we are in the shit hole we are in now.

This needs to be done the right way. There will be other December signing periods and we need the best coach we can find to capitalize on those in the future.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 08:14 PM
Hey, Mr. Tiky Tok, that's why we are in the shit hole we are in now.

This needs to be done the right way. There will be other December signing periods and we need the best coach we can find to capitalize on those in the future.

Wow, other signing periods. You got me there chief. No wonder we are 50th in everything.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Wow, other signing periods. You got me there chief. No wonder we are 50th in everything.

You must enjoy premature ejaculation.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 08:17 PM
Man 17 you, where did I say that. I didn?t even insinuate it. We won?t make a move before the end of the season because we are Missippy tate. But we could for once, ever, be proactive instead of reactive to every situation. But we won?t, we will dick around we will be cheap and get exactly what we are paying for, the same shit we have seeing since forever. I hope you 17ers enjoy sitting in the back of the bus because that?s where you have put us and exactly where we deserve to be with this kind decision making. Like one of the largest backers of our brethren to the east said when I worked for them ?think small be small?, we have that one covered.

I haven't put us anywhere. Hell I even disagreed with the idea of hiring quickly to keep a class together last year. I understood it, it made sense in the circumstance with such a short period of time so I could go with the decision and there were parts of it that made sense. But I'd had rather get it right back then. But there is nothing about waiting, in this circumstance in his first year until he has a losing record to pull the trigger that is old school thinking. You are just spewing crap. How much you want to bet we don't fire him this week? You can still be getting things done in the background to move quickly at the end of the year without firing him today.

RezDog7
10-28-2023, 08:30 PM
We're a SEC school. There should be some interest.

So is Vandy. Unfortunately, msu will never be relevant in football ever again.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 08:33 PM
I haven't put us anywhere. Hell I even disagreed with the idea of hiring quickly to keep a class together last year. I understood it, it made sense in the circumstance with such a short period of time so I could go with the decision and there were parts of it that made sense. But I'd had rather get it right back then. But there is nothing about waiting, in this circumstance in his first year until he has a losing record to pull the trigger that is old school thinking. You are just spewing crap. How much you want to bet we don't fire him this week? You can still be getting things done in the background to move quickly at the end of the year without firing him today.

We won?t fire them this week or before the egg, we are missippy tate. I have full confidence we will 17 this one up also. As far as behind the scenes, you do realize that we have to talk to agents right. Do you actually think the staff won?t know about this? That other coaches won?t know what?s up. Really? Are you that naive? If we don?t 17 this up I will admit it outright. But I will be surprised.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 08:40 PM
We won?t fire them this week or before the egg, we are missippy tate. I have full confidence we will 17 this one up also. As far as behind the scenes, you do realize that we have to talk to agents right. Do you actually think the staff won?t know about this? That other coaches won?t know what?s up. Really? Are you that naive? If we don?t 17 this up I will admit it outright. But I will be surprised.

No shit Sherlock. I can guaran - damn -tee you Sexton has already told Arnett - THEY ARE LOOKING. But no coach worth a flying **** is going to abandon their ****ing team in November to announce they are going to Starkville. It has NEVER worked that way for any team.

Really Clark?
10-28-2023, 08:43 PM

I said getting things done on background. Not calling up agents. Background check, vetting all the candidates you are interested, have your preferred list, secondary list. You can move quickly setting everything up toward the end of the season. When he gets to an obvious losing season you can then start making calls to agents to feel out candidate interest.

Bothrops
10-28-2023, 08:44 PM

I agree, unless a light comes down from the sky. Leach's death also killed the program.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 08:46 PM
I agree, unless a light comes down from the sky. Leach's death also killed the program.

Damn, you and Rez need to stay away from sharp objects.

RezDog7
10-28-2023, 08:46 PM

I have unfortunately accepted it and plan to spend my Saturday's doing something else.

Bothrops
10-28-2023, 08:56 PM
Damn, you and Rez need to stay away from sharp objects.

Lol...you're probably right

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 08:56 PM
No shit Sherlock. I can guaran - damn -tee you Sexton has already told Arnett - THEY ARE LOOKING. But no coach worth a flying **** is going to abandon their ****ing team in November to announce they are going to Starkville. It has NEVER worked that way for any team.

I didn?t say they would, damn are y?all too drunk to read or do you just not read very well. But shit canning this bunch can?t really 17 this up any further. But far be it from us to not do the same shit the same way we always have. You still all in on 17 it for a signing day? ?That?s a bold strategy there Cotton, let?s see how that works out for them.?

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 09:04 PM
I didn?t say they would, damn are y?all too drunk to read or do you just not read very well. But shit canning this bunch can?t really 17 this up any further. But far be it from us to not do the same shit the same way we always have. You still all in on 17 it for a signing day? ?That?s a bold strategy there Cotton, let?s see how that works out for them.?

Will you actually listen to yourself. We shit can them and then what? What then? We wait. We wait for a coach to take the job which will be in ... drum roll ... December.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 09:14 PM
Will you actually listen to yourself. We shit can them and then what? What then? We wait. We wait for a coach to take the job which will be in ... drum roll ... December.
You have insinuated something I didn?t say. But I get it you?re drunk and slow. Yes, but we could move sooner than later to and make it known the bs going on here is unacceptable. Name Tony Hughes interim and get on with the search. Why delay? What comes from it? We will be awful next season and probably the next as the confederates keep getting stronger. So just say hey we 17ed up own it move on and try to fix it. Hire someone that has the wherewithal to un17 this shitshow and eat it until he sinks or swims. We will know within 2 and a half seasons. We need to get to the front of the line and make a good decision on a coach. This one just might be the most important one ever.

TrapGame
10-28-2023, 09:23 PM
You have insinuated something I didn?t say. But I get it you?re drunk and slow. Yes, but we could move sooner than later to and make it known the bs going on here is unacceptable. Name Tony Hughes interim and get on with the search. Why delay? What comes from it? We will be awful next season and probably the next as the confederates keep getting stronger. So just say hey we 17ed up own it move on and try to fix it. Hire someone that has the wherewithal to un17 this shitshow and eat it until he sinks or swims. We will know within 2 and a half seasons.

Hey shit for brains. Everything in your post is happening without firing anyone in a two year old tantrum. Firing Arnett now does nothing. I'm sorry you can't wrap those soft little brain cells around this concept. Selmon is working behind the scenes to insure he has several candidates lined up for an interview. You posted previously that we needed to move BEFORE December because of early signing day. That's not going to happen. We will have a new coach in December whether we make the shit show worse by firing our coach midway through the season or waiting until the appropriate time. Again, your short sighted, emotionally stunted posts reveal you to be utterly clueless on how the real world works. I may be old Sport, but I know how shit works.

msstate7
10-28-2023, 09:28 PM
I don't think arnett will be fired now or anytime before December of 2024. Our program has thrown craps 2 of the last 3 hires now... I'm not sure our program can survive that. I think we're gonna be bad for years to come

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 09:47 PM
Hey shit for brains. Everything in your post is happening without firing anyone in a two year old tantrum. Firing Arnett now does nothing. I'm sorry you can't wrap those soft little brain cells around this concept. Selmon is working behind the scenes to insure he has several candidates lined up for an interview. You posted previously that we needed to move BEFORE December because of early signing day. That's not going to happen. We will have a new coach in December whether we make the shit show worse by firing our coach midway through the season or waiting until the appropriate time. Again, your short sighted, emotionally stunted posts reveal you to be utterly clueless on how the real world works. I may be old Sport, but I know how shit works.

I?m probably older than you anyway dickhead. And I didn?t say that. you read that into it. I said signing day is in December not we would have a coach by then. But you inferred that anyway. You are the dumbass that said there will be other signing days. Sharp. I know how things work all to well and that is the god damn problem. We will do the same dumbass shit we always have and we always probably 17 it up. If we do screw the pooch on this hire and sit on our ass and wait our turn this could be devastating for the entire university, if we lose our seat at the table through realignment it will hurt beyond imagination. But I?m sure you are in the that will never happen camp. You better 17n hope so if not those trip to Jonesboro, Hattiesburg, and Mobile are going to be great, and that loss of $$$ is going kill off the rest of our athletic department.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2023, 09:47 PM
Arnett is so fired barring some winning

TheLostDawg
10-28-2023, 10:26 PM
There are plenty of programs that hire someone under the table before the season ends and it gets out after the last regular season game. If you know things aren't working out, you move on. Go after a big name and give him time. Look at Norvell. Don't cheap out or it is going to just be this continuous circle

TheLostDawg
10-28-2023, 10:37 PM
And looks like it's going to be another year with a few blue blood schools looking so you better have it lined up when you move on. That or it'll be like the broke KB scenario where we lose our on our main guy and miss out on good second choices because we're screwing around. Hopefully Selmon knows what he's doing and doesn't let us to get railroaded like it always seemed to be with our last few hire/ attempted hires the last few years

Todd4State
10-29-2023, 02:04 AM

We're literally one head coaching hire away from being relevant. There is a massive difference between MSU football and Vandy football. We've been to a bowl 13 straight years with multiple coaches including some bad ones.

There are plenty of programs that hire someone under the table before the season ends and it gets out after the last regular season game. If you know things aren't working out, you move on. Go after a big name and give him time. Look at Norvell. Don't cheap out or it is going to just be this continuous circle

Why would Norvell leave Florida State? If Selmon pulled that off he should get a massive raise because it's not happening.

And looks like it's going to be another year with a few blue blood schools looking so you better have it lined up when you move on. That or it'll be like the broke KB scenario where we lose our on our main guy and miss out on good second choices because we're screwing around. Hopefully Selmon knows what he's doing and doesn't let us to get railroaded like it always seemed to be with our last few hire/ attempted hires the last few years

There is always going to be a job market for coaches every year. We're almost certainly going to be competing with Arkansas for a head coach this offseason if we are looking for one. Could be others for sure too. Things in college football change quite a bit in December. Always has and always will.

Wink&aPrayer
10-29-2023, 05:23 AM
we wouldn't be going forward in 2024

Just what I heard.

All the noise said that we'd never fire a black coach 1 year after SECCoY and beating Ark like we did.

We did.

Selmon better have been working on this for a while.

R2Dawg
10-29-2023, 08:45 AM
There was no reason to hire him to being with, much less keep him. The whole "continuity" narrative was bullshit.

Yep, there is no continuity in college sports anymore.

R2Dawg
10-29-2023, 08:51 AM

That is the old poor ole msssippi st mentality that is holding us back. We been the 13 straight bowls and been #1 in past 10 years. We finished in top 20 last year. When has Vandy done any of that? We have been as good or better than OM past 10-15 years but they walk around like they are competing for NC every year. We got to ditch the losers mentality.

RezDog7
10-29-2023, 09:46 AM
That is the old poor ole msssippi st mentality that is holding us back. We been the 13 straight bowls and been #1 in past 10 years. We finished in top 20 last year. When has Vandy done any of that? We have been as good or better than OM past 10-15 years but they walk around like they are competing for NC every year. We got to ditch the losers mentality.

I know, I slept it off and feel better today. I think baseball season and now football season has taken a toll on me.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2023, 10:42 AM

Hires or agreements can be done in private and announced later on to the public when it's appropriate.... however I think Arnett will get another year.... whether we like it or not, it sends a message to experienced coaches or coordinators that we are too impatient (like Florida or LSU) .... and I'm not an air raid cultist or fan of this staff ... it sucks to be in this position but basically we've been here since Mullen left