PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to 2014's 2-Deep

BeastMan
12-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Wow. Just wow. We bring everyone back. Gotta give credit to Cadaver for sparking the idea and then a Matt Wyatt tweet pushed me to write it.

http://3rdand57.com/a-look-ahead-to-2014s-two-deep/

FISHDAWG
12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
can you copy & paste here ... I can't access the site

BeastMan
12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I've got a whois 100% security rating. Some jobs have me blocked for some reason

noledawg
12-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm blocked as well ...

BeastMan
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
@Fish

I'm away from the house and I cannot get my phone to copy more than 3-5 paragraphs. I'll do it this afternoon when I get to a computer. I guess an iPhone can't copy 1000+ words

Big4Dawg
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
It’s clear that MSU is very young and that should excite folks. Let’s look across the board and see what the Bulldogs have coming back and how that stacks up to this year. Some of my picks for the 2-deep are my best guesses.

Offense

QB

1rst- Dak Prescott (junior)

2nd- Damien Williams (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: With Dak gaining more experience, he sure looks primed to have a breakout year in 2014. Add in that Damien Williams is the back-up and a similar QB and the Bulldogs won’t have to prepare different game-plans. Excitement about Dak and the consistency in playing styles leads me to believe MSU will see an upgrade in QB play in 2014.

RB

1rst- Josh Robinson (junior)

2nd- Ashton Shumpert (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: At 5.52 yards per carry, Robinson led Bulldog RBs in 2013 and should get more carriers next year. He emerged as the best back late in the year. Ashton Shumpert only saw 39 carries this year but showed his talent and promise in every one. Josh Robinson getting a heavier workload alone makes me say 2014 will be an upgrade at RB.

WR

1rst- Robert Johnson (senior) , De’Runnya Wilson (sophomore)

2nd- Joe Morrow (junior) , Fred Ross (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: This year fans saw a ton of questions about this position group answered. Rojo and Wilson showed physicality that will be hard to defend. Fred Ross has huge talent and upside and Joe Morrow showed some flashes of his talent. The fact that it’s all the same guys returning more experienced says big improvement in 2014.

Slot

1rst- Jameon Lewis (senior)

2nd- Brandon Holloway (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: Jameon led MSU with 55 receptions and accounted for 11 TDs. He is simply an electric play-maker with the ball. Holloway only saw 7 catches but we saw more than a few times where his speed got him behind the defense and the QB couldn’t connect. If Holloway comes down with a few more balls next year, look out. With the same guys returning more experienced, I see more improvement coming in 2014.

TE

1rst- Malcolm Johnson (senior)

2nd- Artimas Samuel (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: Mojo was MSU’s overall 3rd leading pass catcher and really could have been used more. Atimas Samuel didn’t play until the 2nd half of the year but showed arguably the softest hands on the team. A lot of potential over the middle with these 2 next year leads me to say MSU will be in better shape at TE in 2014.

OL

LT

1rst- Blaine Clausell (senior)

2nd- Justin Senior (sophomore)

LG

1rst- Ben Beckwith (senior)

2nd- Jamaal Clayborn (sophomore)

C

1rst- Dillon Day (junior)

2nd- Devon Desper (sophomore)

RG

1rst- Justin Malone (junior)

2nd- Archie Muniz (senior)

RT

1rst- Jocquell Johnson/Norman Price (both junior juco transfers will battle it out)

2nd- Damien Robinson (senior)

Quick Analysis: The 2 most important positions, center and left tackle, are the strengths of this unit. Beckwith and Clayborn both showed they can play this year and Justin Malone returning from injury leaves guard in good shape, even with the loss of Gabe Jackson. The biggest question is right tackle. MSU is bringing in 2 juco guys who will get a look and you also have senior Damien Robinson. All that said, Justin Senior may be the 2nd best tackle on the team and could grab that spot. I’m going to go conservative and say that the 2014 OL will be at least the same of the 2013 but if right tackle gets nailed down, it could be a better unit.

DE

1rst- Preston Smith (senior), Ryan Bown (sophomore)

2nd- AJ Jefferson (sophomore), Torrey Dale (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: The loss of Autry will hurt with experience but Preston Smith actually had more TFLs and sacks. AJ Jefferson played very well as a freshman and he and Ryan Brown can replace Autry’s production. I go conservative and say 2014 DEs will be equal to 2013 at worst but could do better with the emergence of Jefferson or Brown.

DT

1rst- PJ Jones (senior), Chris Jones (sophomore)

2nd- Kaleb Eulls (senior), Nelson Adams (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: You would like to see more depth but it’s hard to not be excited about this group moving forward. PJ had a pretty good year in his first as a starter and Chris Jones was a man among boys as a true freshman. Add is Kaleb Eulls finishing out the year playing his best ball of his career and Nelson Adams being a major surprise… 2014 should be a big improvement at DT and should rival 2011 when Fletcher Cox and Josh Boyd played together. Need to note that I’m not even counting Quay Evans or Nick James right now but if they return to the mix, it would obviously bolster this even more.

LB

1rst- Benardrick McKinney (junior), Matt Wells (senior), Beni Brown (sophomore)

2nd- Richie Brown (sophomore), Zach Jackson (junior), Dezmond Harris (freshman)

Quick Analysis: When you look at the youth and experience of the top 5 guys, it is downright scary how good they can be next year. Throw in Harris and his upside and things look really good for 2014. You can mix and match just about any of them in any situation. 2014 should be the best LB play MSU has seen in a long time; major improvement.

CB

1rst- Jamerson Love (senior), Taveze Calhoun (junior)

2nd- Justin Cox (senior), Will Redmond (junior)

Quick Analysis: Anyone with a set of eyes saw how these guys got better as the year went on. By seasons end, MSU was playing great at CB and rotating 4 guys pretty interchangeably. It also needs to be mentioned that Cedric Jiles, Tolando Cleveland, Kivon Coman, and Jahmere Irvin-Sills also showed a lot of promise in their game reps. In short, MSU is loaded at CB and the 2014 should be a big upgrade in performance.

Safety

1rst- Jay Hughes (senior), Kendrick Market (junior)

2nd- Dee Arrington (senior), Deonte Evans (sophomore)

Quick Analysis: 2013 saw Kendrick Market get thrown into the fire after 2 early season-ending injuries and he staked his claim to a safety spot and played very well. Jay Hughes and Dee Arrington returning should bolster the unit and ease the loss of Nickoe Whitley. I still wouldn’t be shocked to see one of those CBs to make a move to safety and grab some PT. I’ll go conservative and say MSU’s safety play will be similar to 2013.

Punter/Kicker

1rst- Devon Bell

2nd- Evan Sobiesk

Quick Analysis: As long as MSU kickers go see a sports psychiatrist in the off-season, they can’t get worse. I mean how could they? Even though last year was so bad and reason says they will be better, I’ll call 2014′s kickers as equal to 2013′s production.

Recap of Upgrade, Downgrade, or Same: Position by Position

QB- Upgrade

RB- Upgrade

WR- Upgrade

Slot- Upgrade

TE- Upgrade

OL- Same

DE- Same

DT- Upgrade

LB- Upgrade

CB- Upgrade

S- Same

ST- Same

Summary: It’s really exciting when you think about how young MSU was in 2013 and look at the roster going forward. I don’t see a single position group that is in worse shape. I see the OL, DEs, Safeties, and ST as the same but that isn’t a bad thing because they all had good years except special teams and I have no idea how they could get worse. I think all before mentioned position groups could outperform last year’s group if key guys like Gabe Jackson, Denico Autry, and Nickoe Whitley can be replaced. With the schedule flipping back to favorable in 2014, how can you not be excited about the direction of the program?

Big4Dawg
12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I agree with most but I think Cox moves to Safety over the off-season (maybe even for the bowl).

FISHDAWG
12-04-2013, 12:15 PM
thanks Big4 ... good assessment Beastman

engie
12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I think Cox moves to S as well...but we should know something about this in the next week or so. IF he's moving, I'd think it highly likely that it happens now...

Also -- Market/Hughes play the same position -- Strong Safety. Free Safety is Whitley/Arrington/Deontae/Cox(if moved). Those positions aren't really interchangeable in our current defense with the difference in assignments and "position requirements" between the two. So, if we're intending on Market starting along with Hughes, Market will have to move positions, probably during bowl prep.

I think it's going to be Arrington/Cox at FS and Market/Hughes at SS. Which I like because it allows us to ease Cox into a new role -- and allows us to ease Hughes back in without throwing him to the wolves before he's ready(like we did to Nickoe)....

Big4Dawg
12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
What is the main difference between FS/SS in our scheme?

sandwolf
12-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Will Arrington be eligible for a Medical RS for this year?

Big4Dawg
12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I believe Paul Jones said he will be

FlabLoser
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM
If we don't have a FG kicker next year, take your win prediction and subtract two.

I don't know what Bell's deal is. TWO years ago he started out rough and then got it together for the remainder of the season. This year he was a liability every time he stopped on the field except for kickoffs.

Saltydog
12-04-2013, 01:42 PM
was one of the most hyped recruits we've had and he just hasn't panned out just yet. Also, Chris Jones will start somewhere. I know we'll rotate out a lot of D lineman but he has to be a 1 on the depth chart.

smootness
12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
was one of the most hyped recruits we've had and he just hasn't panned out just yet. Also, Chris Jones will start somewhere. I know we'll rotate out a lot of D lineman but he has to be a 1 on the depth chart.

It confused me, too, at first, but I think all the names next to '1st' means those are the starters and the ones next to '2nd' means those are the 2nd team. At first, I read it as PJ Jones starting at the 1st DT spot and Eulls starting at the 2nd spot.

Saltydog
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
way thru.........You sir are indeed correct and I stand corrected..........

Irondawg
12-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I want to see Holloway some as RB as the speed guy in the diamond and on some 3rd downs. J-Rob is a serviceable pass catcher as well but I don't know if Shump is built for that and Holloway did very well at RB in the spring game.

thf24
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I want to see Holloway some as RB as the speed guy in the diamond and on some 3rd downs.

I agree. I think Mullen finally has his Percy Harvin-style player in Holloway and that we might see him used more in that role as Mullen builds more trust in him getting more than a few touches per game. I don't think he's quite there yet, but maybe by mid to late next season.

WinningIsRelentless
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I agree. I think Mullen finally has his Percy Harvin-style player in Holloway and that we might see him used more in that role as Mullen builds more trust in him getting more than a few touches per game. I don't think he's quite there yet, but maybe by mid to late next season.
Only problem is Holloway couldn't catch a cold much less a football. His hands are really lacking.

Bo Darville
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
It also needs to be mentioned that Cedric Jiles, Tolando Cleveland, Kivon Coman, and Jahmere Irvin-Sills also showed a lot of promise in their game reps.

I know that Coman and Cleveland played. Irvin-Sills did not play.

smootness
12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Only problem is Holloway couldn't catch a cold much less a football. His hands are really lacking.

That can be worked on and improved. Jameon Lewis couldn't catch anything, either, and while he still has hiccups he has vastly improved in that area.

Johnson85
12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I want to see Holloway some as RB as the speed guy in the diamond and on some 3rd downs. J-Rob is a serviceable pass catcher as well but I don't know if Shump is built for that and Holloway did very well at RB in the spring game.

You want Mullen to have the option to run Holloway up the middle like he did with Perkins? I want Mullen to think it's against the rules to use Holloway as a RB. It'd be nice to have the option of taking advantage of Holloway's speed at RB, but I willing have a 17ing breakdown if I have to watch another year of pounding a scat back up the middle while Robinson sits on the sideline. I'm shaking just thinking about it.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 10:29 AM
get a kicker, get a punt return game, get Nick James head on straight, stay healthy, and protect home field.

those things happen and 10-2 is a fairly realistic goal next year. the ball has to bounce the right way for us (a la 2013 Auburn), but I expect us to win 7 at minimum and 10 at max with our schedule.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 10:29 AM
oh, and I think Clayborn will start and we need Holloway to make a jump like Tubby did over the last two years.

sandwolf
12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
You want Mullen to have the option to run Holloway up the middle like he did with Perkins? I want Mullen to think it's against the rules to use Holloway as a RB. It'd be nice to have the option of taking advantage of Holloway's speed at RB, but I willing have a 17ing breakdown if I have to watch another year of pounding a scat back up the middle while Robinson sits on the sideline. I'm shaking just thinking about it.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.

thedawg
12-05-2013, 11:28 AM
oh, and I think Clayborn will start and we need Holloway to make a jump like Tubby did over the last two years.

If Clayborn starts and Im not saying you are not correct but who goes to the bench? Beckwith or Malone? or do you bump Malone out to tackle which I think he can do but Im not sure its what we will do. I am also a huge Cole Carter fan and what do you do with him? He will be a third year player and is good enough to help. Senior is heir apparent at LT obviously. This doesnt take into account the JUCOs I have seen Joquell a few times in high school and Im very high on him if he can learn the system. The recruiting sites are all higher on Hand and he may be better Ive just never seen him... Depth what a wonderful problem

Coach34
12-05-2013, 01:40 PM
interesting problem to have. I think the answer lies on how the jucos adjust this Spring. If they can handle RT- then keep Malone at G and we have quality depth at that position with whomever loses out on the job.

2014 may be the 1st time we have ever been able to just insert a 2nd OL to rest the starters instead of just inserting a player here and there.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 01:46 PM
we can rotate the guys and keep them fresh but I would anticipate Clayborn and Malone starting with Beckwith being a swing man #2 at both spots. He's versatile and smart enough to manage that and will still get a lot of snaps that way.

Coach34
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
we can rotate the guys and keep them fresh but I would anticipate Clayborn and Malone starting with Beckwith being a swing man #2 at both spots. He's versatile and smart enough to manage that and will still get a lot of snaps that way.

There's talk that Price may be used at Guard instead of OT- if so that would give us 4- and I guess Robinson back-up Johnson should he take control like they think he will.

Bo Darville
12-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Beckwith is a nice player and we are lucky to have him. But I agree I prefer him in a backup role. Malone is the one interior guy who has the frame, athleticism, etc. to move outside. I don't necessarily think we will do it, but if the tackles don't pan out, he is a guy that is capable of playing the tackle position. I don't see Damien Robinson being the answer. If he could play and play well, I think we would have seen more of him by now. He has already been at MSU for four years and has played sparingly.

Bo Darville
12-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Here is my honest opinion of the guys who might see significant playing time in 2014 (doesn't include signees):

Center - Day, Desper
Guard - Malone, Clayborn, Beckwith, Desper
Tackles - Senior, Carter, Robinson, Clausell

That is 2 guys at each position. Jucos will come in and compete for playing time, especially the RT spot and some guard duty. Muniz hasn't done anything. They will try Robinson, but I just don't see it. Flowers and Thomas still a year away from meaningful snaps.

thedawg
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I noticed on Facebook last night Siddoway just had back surgery yesterday.... It didnt say he couldn't play the bowl game but if he can't go we may get an audition from Damien and Cole... Hopefully they will play well if called upon.