PDA

View Full Version : Do we expect to do better out of the portal compared to last year?

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2023, 09:37 AM
So the portal is a crap shoot. You are either buying players off other teams or getting players who can't beat out other guys. You probably aren't going to find a Benardrick Mckinney out there that is just a guy that flies under the radar.

So what can we expect?

We got a couple of guys from teams like UK and Indiana. Also a DB from Miami. A guy from Bama. So far they look like guys that aren't a big step up from guys that should already be on the team if our recruiting is average MSU historically.

Pretty funny that some people are now defending almost the same results on offense. Hopefully this is just an adjustment period for the offense.

msstate7
10-27-2023, 10:48 AM
Comparing an offense in its 3rd year vs an offense in its 1st year seems unfair

ETA... just look at auburn - did freeze forget how to coach offense? I think it's more adjustment and not having players that fit his system

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2023, 10:57 AM

ETA... just look at auburn - did freeze forget how to coach offense? I think it's more adjustment and not having players that fit his system

I would agree but this offense is badly coached, I can't tell what we are trying to do. This very experienced Oline is pretty damn bad.

Maybe we just need a new Oline coach but who knows if that fixes things.

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2023, 10:59 AM
Our WR from UGA made an awesome play last week v Ark.

It is what it is. We aren't UGA. We aren't buying starters off another P5 roster. All we can do is hope to land some diamonds that are buried on a depth chart.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Not if we don't win games. Who is coming to play for a lame duck staff that looks bad?
Like a Cannon commercial "NOOOBODY". We need to win some ball games. Got a chance this week we can't let slip.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Dude from UGA made an awesome play last week v Ark.

It is what it is. We aren't UGA. We aren't buying starters off an another P5 roster. All we can do is hope to land some diamonds that are buried on a depth chart.

What dude is that? Do we have another UGA transfer? Goede is 17 awful at this sport. He routinely whiffs on blocks and when he actually blocks someone he holds.

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2023, 12:13 PM
What dude is that? Do we have another UGA transfer? Goede is 17 awful at this sport. He routinely whiffs on blocks and when he actually blocks someone he holds.

I believe he was referring to RaRa who UGA bought off our team. - I was wrong.

Really Clark?
10-27-2023, 12:13 PM

He said UGA but I think he meant GA, JRob.

Quaoarsking
10-27-2023, 12:18 PM
We need to make it a "thing" that we're the school to transfer to if you're stuck on the bench at Alabama, Georgia, etc. As in good, but not quite good enough to play there, but a hard worker without disciplinary issues.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2023, 02:11 PM
We need to make it a "thing" that we're the school to transfer to if you're stuck on the bench at Alabama, Georgia, etc. As in good, but not quite good enough to play there, but a hard worker without disciplinary issues.

We need to sign guys that are playing, but not starting. Bench warmers don't help much.

Commercecomet24
10-27-2023, 02:52 PM

Justin Robinson transfer from uga.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-27-2023, 03:07 PM

Leachs year one offense looked awful after everyone started playing drop 8.

RiverCityDawg
10-27-2023, 03:29 PM

I understand your point here, though the issue is that a conscious decision was made to completely tear down what existed and make a 180 degree change in philosophy. No, it wasn't going to be the exact same with Leach gone, no matter who we hired, but it didn't have to be so drastically different. Further, during the off-season whenever Arnett was asked about how it was going to be completely different, he basically tried to make the person asking the question look stupid as if it was barely changing.

So I'm less inclined to give a grace period, and I believe it's completely fair to compare. We weren't great on offense last year, so it shouldn't be a high bar to hurdle.

Johnson85
10-27-2023, 03:41 PM
I understand your point here, though the issue is that a conscious decision was made to completely tear down what existed and make a 180 degree change in philosophy. No, it wasn't going to be the exact same with Leach gone, no matter who we hired, but it didn't have to be so drastically different. Further, during the off-season whenever Arnett was asked about how it was going to be completely different, he basically tried to make the person asking the question look stupid as if it was barely changing.

So I'm less inclined to give a grace period, and I believe it's completely fair to compare. We were great on offense last year, so it shouldn't be a hire bar to hurdle.

^^^THIS^^^^

We weren't going to be great on offense this year. But we didn't have to be this bad. Can't choose to rebuild a year early and then claim you need time. It was so bad that you had to tear it apart even though tons of the offensive players would be gone in a year anyway? Then you better be at least as good as the year before if not a little better.

Really Clark?
10-27-2023, 03:56 PM

So I'm less inclined to give a grace period, and I believe it's completely fair to compare. We were great on offense last year, so it shouldn't be a hire bar to hurdle.

We were great on offense last year? Or did you mean we were not great, so it shouldn't be a high bar to hurdle?

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Justin Robinson transfer from uga.

You right. I forgot he was a UGA transfer since he came last year.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2023, 04:10 PM

I personally do not care if they have disciplinary issues. We are going to have to take kids like that and hope they boom. It is the risks you have to take at a place like Mississippi State, USCe, UK, OM, Arky, and Mizzou

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2023, 05:06 PM
He said UGA but I think he meant GA, JRob.

Yes. Justin Robinson is from GA and is a transfer from UGA. He had a career high for Rec yards v Arkansas.

Todd4State
10-27-2023, 05:16 PM

It really isn't the same. Has Leach survived there is no question he would have been back as our coach and most everyone would have been fine with it. We won 9 games with the last system.

Leach took over a 6-7 team and he made it known that we were running his offense. There was no debate about it. We also had major discipline issues so we knew it was going to be a rebuild. Part of the reason Leach was hired was because of his discipline.

Even still Leach was better in year one than Barbay has been.

Todd4State
10-27-2023, 05:19 PM
I personally do not care if they have disciplinary issues. We are going to have to take kids like that and hope they boom. It is the risks you have to take at a place like Mississippi State, USCe, UK, OM, Arky, and Mizzou

We still have to rein them in. We had what? 10 players suspended 75% of the season for cheating and a LB injuring our QB to the point where he couldn't play in a bowl game under Moorhead?

I'm not sure how Ole Miss does it honestly. Of course if something goes bad for them they can collapse as well like the end of last season.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2023, 05:37 PM
We still have to rein them in. We had what? 10 players suspended 75% of the season for cheating and a LB injuring our QB to the point where he couldn't play in a bowl game under Moorhead?

I'm not sure how Ole Miss does it honestly. Of course if something goes bad for them they can collapse as well like the end of last season.

They do because everyone is rowing in the same direction. Coaches, admin, town, police, etc. They do not let bad news out of their walls. They keep most everything internal. Whereas we have people trying to take pics of Dak when he was getting his DUI and cops that try to make a name for themselves every time a player is pulled over.

RiverCityDawg
10-27-2023, 05:57 PM
We were great on offense last year? Or did you mean we were not great, so it shouldn't be a high bar to hurdle?

Yeah got in a hurry and botched the end... Meant to type we weren't great so it shouldn't have been a high bar to hurdle.

Coursesuper
10-28-2023, 12:08 PM
They do because everyone is rowing in the same direction. Coaches, admin, town, police, etc. They do not let bad news out of their walls. They keep most everything internal. Whereas we have people trying to take pics of Dak when he was getting his DUI and cops that try to make a name for themselves every time a player is pulled over.

You nailed it. They have their shat together and we have a very very hard time with this. We are excellent at 17ing up when it does go well.