PDA

View Full Version : Our out of conference baseball schedule?

preachermatt83
10-26-2023, 04:27 PM
?is atrocious. That is all

TNDawg35
10-26-2023, 04:35 PM
I like it. We have enough to worry about in conference with UGA, Vandy, and FL from the East. Just win SEC games and we will be fine. We need the confidence boost early before we get into SEC play…

Tripp McNeely
10-26-2023, 05:04 PM
^^^this!!! Just gotta win most of them

The Federalist Engineer
10-26-2023, 05:27 PM
Should be 18-0 heading into SEC play.

It would be nice if they played a series in SoCal, nice short, cheap flight for me. 3 games versus Pepperdine would be alright.

Air Force is decent

StarkVegasSteve
10-26-2023, 05:34 PM
We need all the wins we can get with our conference schedule. Our RPI will be just fine.

Commercecomet24
10-26-2023, 05:40 PM
We need all the wins we can get with our conference schedule. Our RPI will be just fine.

This is correct

confucius say
10-26-2023, 05:58 PM
Georgia southern hosted two years ago.
Not sure what they have now.

BrunswickDawg
10-26-2023, 06:31 PM
I see no problem with it - young team, SEC is stacked, there are a handful of teams that make the post season semi-regularly, and as already said winning will take care of RPI.

Homedawg
10-26-2023, 06:39 PM
Should be 18-0 heading into SEC play.

It would be nice if they played a series in SoCal, nice short, cheap flight for me. 3 games versus Pepperdine would be alright.

Air Force is decent

Ha. You know that's not how baseball goes. Now we can't go 13-5 or some thing like that. But .....

AlSwearengen
10-26-2023, 09:04 PM
We need some easy sledding early on to get our feet under us.

BeardoMSU
10-26-2023, 09:09 PM
^^^^
https://media.tenor.com/FFnBDKAKEZ4AAAAC/correcto-inglorious.gif

ZedFedder
10-26-2023, 09:29 PM
This team needs some confidence early on, too. You go and play top level teams and go .500, and they would be discouraged.

CaptainObvious
10-26-2023, 10:56 PM
The first 22 games are all inside the State of Mississippi.

Captain Falcon
10-26-2023, 11:45 PM
Surface level view is bad, dig a little deeper and it might end up being OK. Evansville had an RPI of 72 last year, Georgia Southern hosted two years ago, Air Force made the NCAAT two years ago. If those teams are decent again then it won?t kill our RPI.

Mount St. Mary?s is an objectively awful team to play a three game series against.

Todd4State
10-27-2023, 12:52 AM
Our schedule is not much different than LSU or Ole Miss. They aren't exactly going out and playing people like Oregon State or TCU on the road either.

The reality is our fans like college baseball so much that they want to see "good" opponents every weekend.

And sure it's fun to play in elite pre-conference tournaments like the Shriner's Classic, followed up a home series against USC and then follow that up with a road series against Florida State.

I don't mind that necessarily, but the reality is it makes it very difficult unless you have a veteran laden team. And you only get four OOC weekends prior to SEC play so there are only so many weekends to do the things our fans really want to see MSU baseball do. Which is a big reason why I want the NCAA to add a weekend in OOC play and go to 65 games with a 40 game SEC schedule- 10 SEC weekends and then you play the other 5 SEC opponents on Tues/Weds throughout the SEC season.

But you look at our schedule and we have two games in Pearl against Ole Miss and USM- two quality teams and then we have two games in Biloxi against two mid majors and a game at Autozone Park. That's pretty fan friendly IMO.

RPI doesn't really matter much for SEC teams as much as SEC wins do. We get to 13 SEC wins and we're back in the postseason. It's getting to be pretty cut and dried. So OOC just really doesn't matter that much for SEC teams. The RPI takes care of itself with the SEC wins unless we were to do something like play Mississippi Valley State four times in a year which is never going to happen. Odds are that North Alabama game doesn't even happen honestly.

SPDawgs
10-27-2023, 12:05 PM
I agree with everyone that our non-conference schedule is extremely light and easy. However, after our last two years, we need something to get our confidence going. We need batters that we can mow down to show our pitching staff we can pitch the ball. We need pitchers that we can score a lot of runs on to prove to themselves they can swing it. but most importantly we need to win. Winning is contagious and once we start we are going to keep going. If anyone needs a light start of the season it is us to show from Lemonis all the way down to the ballboys that we can win and that we are still Mississippi State Baseball.