PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling it now

Quaoarsking
10-23-2023, 07:13 PM
One thing that was very frustrating about last season was how Ole Miss spent the whole year ranked, getting the extra coverage on ESPN, SECN, etc., better game times, and all the additional attention and buzz that goes along with that. But when it came down to the end of the season, we beat them in the Egg Bowl, we won our bowl game and finished 9-4 and ranked #20, while Ole Miss lost both and finished unranked. We were the actual top 25 team, not them, but they got all of the benefit top 25 status throughout the season.

I know that college football superfans out there will remember that we were the better Mississippi team last year, and the typical casual fan doesn't know or care the difference in us, but that still leaves millions of people who keep up with college football who would probably say that Ole Miss was better than us last year because that's what they remember.

That's a long intro into me saying that this is going to happen again this year. We'll win 2 of our next 3, beat Southern Miss, win the Egg Bowl and whatever bowl we end up in, finish ranked around #20, while Ole Miss finishes unranked. And the cycle continues. The mid-level college football fans will think of Ole Miss as the better team again, but in the final rankings it will prove to be us. College football should really stop doing mid-season rankings and just let it all play out.

To be clear, I predict we finish 9-4. Some of that is due to the rest of our schedule being weak, some is due to the players and coaches improving over the back half of the season, and some is due to them not really being that bad to start with. Whatever the reason, 9-4.

Offshore Dawg
10-23-2023, 07:15 PM
Don't saw that limb off behind you.

PCHSDawg
10-23-2023, 07:15 PM
I'll have some of what you're smoking. If we finish 9-3 I'll be amazed.

TrapGame
10-23-2023, 07:22 PM
Son, put down the crack pipe.

EdwardDrayton
10-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Oh Q, someone spiked your drink with the KoolAid

Quaoarsking
10-23-2023, 07:52 PM
I'll have some of what you're smoking. If we finish 9-3 I'll be amazed.

To clarify, I'm calling 8-4, not 9-3, + a bowl win. I will also be amazed if it's 9-3 in the regular season.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2023, 07:53 PM
Not sure we'll win both of the next two, but we should get at least one. And I think we have a great shot at beating ole miss also. Auburn's run defense is horrendous and they shut them down in the first half for the most part. And auburn's offense is horrendous.

This is ole miss almost every year. They won't finish the season ranked. Georgia will destroy them. Well most likely beat them. Then they'll lose their bowl game. I've watched every game they've played. They're playing better than us but we're getting better it seems. They are the same every week.

Mjoelner34
10-23-2023, 07:57 PM
https://beerknights.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/ill-have-cartoon.jpg

BeardoMSU
10-23-2023, 08:01 PM
Would love it if you're right!

Coursesuper
10-23-2023, 08:03 PM
What flavor of Mood Gummy?s gave you this clairvoyance? I?d like to get on some of that.

confucius say
10-23-2023, 08:19 PM
Took one win for hope to return.
The beauty of fandom

PGHBulldogBG
10-23-2023, 08:24 PM
If we beat Auburn, UK, USM and Ole Miss Arnett and staff deserve a ton of credit. I really hope this is the case, but I see UK as the only win

Quaoarsking
10-23-2023, 08:26 PM
If we beat Auburn, UK, USM and Ole Miss Arnett and staff deserve a ton of credit. I really hope this is the case, but I see UK as the only win

Come on man, we'll at least beat Southern Miss (currently 1-6 with the 1 being Alcorn State)

Quaoarsking
10-23-2023, 08:27 PM
Took one win for hope to return.
The beauty of fandom

To be fair, it never really left me. Leach giving his full endorsement to Arnett was enough for me to buy in. I just hated how he did a total 180 on our offense for no reason other than his feelings.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2023, 08:28 PM
https://media.tenor.com/8ibLdDnmnmMAAAAd/kenan-thompson-thats-really-nice-its-wrong.gif

PGHBulldogBG
10-23-2023, 08:28 PM
Come on man, we'll at least beat Southern Miss (currently 1-6 with the 1 being Alcorn State)

Yea didn?t mean to not include USM lol but SEC wise I think we beat UK but not sure about anyone else

Mjoelner34
10-23-2023, 09:00 PM
LOL!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Coach34
10-23-2023, 09:13 PM
Damnnnnn

I like our chances the next 2 weeks. Us and Auburn is going to be a slugfest. They have the home advantage that bothers me- but they are average just like us. We actually play the run fairly well and thats their bread and butter. They are not quite as good on D as UPig but still solid. We gonna have to make a few plays offensively and cannot go super conservative.

I think Saturday will be a great game and I hope we pull it off.

Kentucky is at home and they are reeling. Hoping Tenn keeps their misery going Saturday night

State82
10-23-2023, 09:20 PM
https://media.tenor.com/8ibLdDnmnmMAAAAd/kenan-thompson-thats-really-nice-its-wrong.gif

Sprayed my computer screen with vodka/soda on that one CD!

parabrave
10-23-2023, 09:23 PM
Yea didn?t mean to not include USM lol but SEC wise I think we beat UK but not sure about anyone else

You have watched Auburn haven't you????

LC Dawg
10-23-2023, 09:24 PM
One thing that was very frustrating about last season was how Ole Miss spent the whole year ranked, getting the extra coverage on ESPN, SECN, etc., better game times, and all the additional attention and buzz that goes along with that. But when it came down to the end of the season, we beat them in the Egg Bowl, we won our bowl game and finished 9-4 and ranked #20, while Ole Miss lost both and finished unranked. We were the actual top 25 team, not them, but they got all of the benefit top 25 status throughout the season.

I know that college football superfans out there will remember that we were the better Mississippi team last year, and the typical casual fan doesn't know or care the difference in us, but that still leaves millions of people who keep up with college football who would probably say that Ole Miss was better than us last year because that's what they remember.

That's a long intro into me saying that this is going to happen again this year. We'll win 2 of our next 3, beat Southern Miss, win the Egg Bowl and whatever bowl we end up in, finish ranked around #20, while Ole Miss finishes unranked. And the cycle continues. The mid-level college football fans will think of Ole Miss as the better team again, but in the final rankings it will prove to be us. College football should really stop doing mid-season rankings and just let it all play out.

To be clear, I predict we finish 9-4. Some of that is due to the rest of our schedule being weak, some is due to the players and coaches improving over the back half of the season, and some is due to them not really being that bad to start with. Whatever the reason, 9-4.

Ole Miss definitely looks like the better team but outside of the LSU game they haven't been overly impressive. If we somehow win 3 of the next 4 and they only lose to UGA I'm not sure they would be favored in the Egg Bowl. Probably a pick 'em or a point either way based on both our A&M games.
To your point though I always see comments about not worrying about Ole Miss being ranked early because they'll fade (specifically last year) but it does matter because they get mentioned all year and that's publicity that we don't get.
I'm gonna reserve judgement until after this weekend. I know most people say KY is our best shot at another conference win but after watching Auburn Saturday night I think if we don't beat them USM will be our only remaining win.

Coach34
10-23-2023, 09:24 PM

Exactly. This is 100% one we can steal Saturday

Coach34
10-23-2023, 09:26 PM
I think Kentucky at home will be easier than winning at Auburn

TrapGame
10-23-2023, 09:44 PM

Just looking at a couple of AU message boards and none of them think we beat them. Hell, must think it will be a fairly easy win. What's funny is a lot of them think they will LOSE to Arkansas.

PGHBulldogBG
10-23-2023, 09:52 PM
Auburn has issues and so does state, but I think the home field advantage gets us a loss at Auburn but a win against UK. aTm in college station will be bad, but Ole Miss at home will be more interesting.

LC Dawg
10-23-2023, 09:59 PM
If we can hold Arkansas to 3 on the road then we should be able to hold Auburn to 13 or less on the road. Auburn's offense is horrible. So if our offense can get a couple of touchdowns and we don't revert to earlier defensive performances I feel good about our chances. A fast start by us using our best weapon Tulu would be great.

Todd4State
10-24-2023, 12:04 AM
Auburn has issues and so does state, but I think the home field advantage gets us a loss at Auburn but a win against UK. aTm in college station will be bad, but Ole Miss at home will be more interesting.

Not sure what to think about this game because I'm curious to see if our defense actually has turned the corner or not. Right now it feels like they may have.

Also let's hope the laws of averages don't rear their ugly heads against us in this game. We were VERY fortunate to beat Arkansas if we're honest with ourselves right now.

Todd4State
10-24-2023, 12:07 AM
Ole Miss definitely looks like the better team but outside of the LSU game they haven't been overly impressive. If we somehow win 3 of the next 4 and they only lose to UGA I'm not sure they would be favored in the Egg Bowl. Probably a pick 'em or a point either way based on both our A&M games.
To your point though I always see comments about not worrying about Ole Miss being ranked early because they'll fade (specifically last year) but it does matter because they get mentioned all year and that's publicity that we don't get.
I'm gonna reserve judgement until after this weekend. I know most people say KY is our best shot at another conference win but after watching Auburn Saturday night I think if we don't beat them USM will be our only remaining win.

They're having a season similar to our 1999 season. They beat LSU, Arkansas, and Auburn by one score apiece. Also they played Tulane without their QB who is one of the best in the country and probably a NFL back up if not starter.

SpaceBully
10-24-2023, 01:50 AM
To Freezer, our game will be the RoseBowl for him and them.

Pancho
10-24-2023, 06:09 AM
Freezer's face shows signs of sleep deprivation and stress. prayers needed.......

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2023, 08:35 AM

Freeze shot that load this past week with Ole Miss - and couldn't get it done. If he couldn't get them up for that game then no way he has them looking at us as their big game.

basedog
10-24-2023, 08:44 AM
Turnovers and special teams could decide this game. Ky is better than Auburn, let's up Auburn will be down but to me it's a tossup.

PMDawg
10-24-2023, 08:52 AM
We're going 6-6.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2023, 09:00 AM

LOL, sign me up!

lastmajordog
10-24-2023, 09:09 AM
If the defense continues DOGS have a shot at some games, but sitting on a small lead early is the kiss of death in so many games in this age of explosive offense. om is a different team, weaker in some spots but Lane and Dart are much better than years past. I only hope the DOG offense can find some juice.

gtowndawg
10-24-2023, 09:09 AM
No minced words, straight to the point. It won't happen but I appreciate the commitment.

https://media.tenor.com/2HD_3d5qT7QAAAAC/serious-committed.gif

gtowndawg
10-24-2023, 09:10 AM

RoseBowl. Nice.

TrapGame
10-24-2023, 09:37 AM
Not sure what to think about this game because I'm curious to see if our defense actually has turned the corner or not. Right now it feels like they may have.

Also let's hope the laws of averages don't rear their ugly heads against us in this game. We were VERY fortunate to beat Arkansas if we're honest with ourselves right now.

Yeah, I'm curious about the defense too. If the defense has another performance like Arkansas I think that's going to pretty much confirm Arnett is running the defense now.

Dawgology
10-24-2023, 09:48 AM

Those shrooms you are eating aren?t portobellos be careful

Prediction? Pain.
10-24-2023, 11:14 AM
I'm not calling anything, but as the season has shaken out, I actually don't think your prediction is totally bonkers.

This is probably the worst Auburn team we've faced in over a decade. Exceptionally bad offense and an ok but unremarkable defense. (Though I could be selling their D a little short given that they've faced four of the top five scoring offenses in the conference to this point.) Four-game losing streak and the day game are other points that potentially help.

Kentucky feasted on a terrible non-conference schedule and, after getting taken down a few pegs against two of the best teams in the East, UGA and Mizzou, appear to be in one of their middle-of-the-road years instead of one of their 9-win years. That could obviously change if they beat us, SC, and maybe find a way to beat a really solid Louisville team. But they've got some work to do to show they're capable of that.

A&M's is a sticky wicket. Their D is legit. I mean like Top 10 nationally in TDs allowed by drive and % of yards given up per drive. And their offense, while not elite, has played a hell of a lot better than ours. If they play like they're capable of playing, I think they'd win, and possibly soundly. But they've been so weird under Jimbo. And if Rogers is healthy by then, we'd have the history of him playing really, really well against them two years in a row. So who knows.

USM is horrible at all the things.

And the Egg Bowl is the Egg Bowl. Their offense is head and shoulders better than ours, and their D, while not stellar, has fared better, too. But that only matters so much.

So yeah, going 4 - 1 the rest of the way would be difficult. But two of the five opponents we face may be historically bad, another is likely mediocre at best (and we have them at home), and the other two, while better than us so far (by a lot in some respects) have some weird (Jimbo) and voodoo (Egg Bowl) to deal with in playing against us.

Definitely makes me wish we were better than we've been so far. Our schedule is shaking up to be way easier than it often is. But so it goes. Maybe can take enough steps against a bad Auburn team next week to start a bit of a roll.

Or maybe we totally crash and burn and finish 1 - 4 with a blowout over USM as our end-of-season high. Football!

Commercecomet24
10-24-2023, 11:47 AM
I'm not calling anything, but as the season has shaken out, I actually don't think your prediction is totally bonkers.

This is probably the worst Auburn team we've faced in over a decade. Exceptionally bad offense and an ok but unremarkable defense. (Though I could be selling their D a little short given that they've faced four of the top five scoring offenses in the conference to this point.) Four-game losing streak and the day game are other points that potentially help.

Kentucky feasted on a terrible non-conference schedule and, after getting taken down a few pegs against two of the best teams in the East, UGA and Mizzou, appear to be in one of their middle-of-the-road years instead of one of their 9-win years. That could obviously change if they beat us, SC, and maybe find a way to beat a really solid Louisville team. But they've got some work to do to show they're capable of that.

A&M's is a sticky wicket. Their D is legit. I mean like Top 10 nationally in TDs allowed by drive and % of yards given up per drive. And their offense, while not elite, has played a hell of a lot better than ours. If they play like they're capable of playing, I think they'd win, and possibly soundly. But they've been so weird under Jimbo. And if Rogers is healthy by then, we'd have the history of him playing really, really well against them two years in a row. So who knows.

And the Egg Bowl is the Egg Bowl. Their offense is head and shoulders better than ours, and their D, while not stellar, has fared better, too. But that only matters so much.

So yeah, going 4 - 1 the rest of the way would be difficult. But two of the five opponents we face may be historically bad, another is likely mediocre at best (and we have them at home), and the other two, while better than us so far (by a lot in some respects) have some weird (Jimbo) and voodoo (Egg Bowl) to deal with in playing against us.

Definitely makes me wish we were better than we've been so far. Our schedule is shaking up to be way easier than it often is. But so it goes. Maybe can take enough steps against a bad Auburn team next week to start a bit of a roll.

Or maybe we totally crash and burn and finish 1 - 4 with a blowout over USM as our end-of-season high. Football!

Dude, I know you're busy but I really wish you would post more. You are by far and away the best stats and metrics analyst we have on this board. You take the emotion out and only deal with what's real and definitive. I would love to see you do an honest to goodness breakdown of us and our weekly opponent each week. Would be awesome! Thanks again for your insight!

Todd4State
10-24-2023, 01:19 PM

What would be wild is if our defense has turned a corner and goes from something crazy like 28 PPG to allowing say 14 PPG over the last six.

And then our offense is better with Will Rogers running it. We could get "hot" the last two weeks if he is somewhat healthy.

I'm not sure that data applies to this team because of the potentially wild swings we could potentially have.

Or maybe Saturday was just an outlier.

basedog
10-24-2023, 02:05 PM
Let's up hope we win. 24 point might win this game.

Coach34
10-24-2023, 02:12 PM
24 would more than likely win it. 17 might

TrapGame
10-24-2023, 02:36 PM
24 would more than likely win it. 17 might

Hey man, since you have the inside info now what's going on with the defense? Is Arnett more hands on since the bye?

Commercecomet24
10-24-2023, 02:37 PM
I really hope our defense has turned a corner. The way they played saturday gave me a lot of optimism, let's hope it wasnt a one off. We do stop the run fairly efficiently and if we can continue to cover like that, we'll be alright. We used quite a few different blitz packages and stunts and twists against arky that they could not handle. I hope we continue in that aggressive, creative vein.

Political Hack
10-24-2023, 02:42 PM
I'll give the first person to respond a line of 7.5 wins.

If we get to 8 (regular season only), I owe you.

If we stay at 7 or lower, you owe me. Someone will hold the money in escrow.

If we have to miserable, may as well make a few bucks.

Coach34
10-24-2023, 02:55 PM
Hey man, since you have the inside info now what's going on with the defense? Is Arnett more hands on since the bye?

Nope

Fresh legs, healing up, and playing younger guys that understand what's going on better

Commercecomet24
10-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Nope

Fresh legs, healing up, and playing younger guys that understand what's going on better

Playing Lewis and Purvis more has really added some needed speed to the lb group.

Maverick91
10-24-2023, 03:18 PM
Playing Lewis and Purvis more has really added some needed speed to the lb group.

I love Purvis he is big and physical. He had a play verse Georgia last that was a thing of beauty stuffing the run at the goal line. It was a thing of beauty from a linebacker stiffing a hole perspective. I rewatched it like three times.

parabrave
10-24-2023, 05:29 PM
Nope

Having Anderson and Russell playing strong helped out tremendously. And Preston playing like a madman also. Need the three of them to play like that the rest of the year.

confucius say
10-24-2023, 05:37 PM
Let's up hope we win. 24 point might win this game.

We would need non offensive TD to get to 24.
17 is our realistic ceiling.