PDA

View Full Version : We are the most snake bit team in the SEC

Todd4State
10-22-2023, 11:59 PM
Had Leach not passed away:

1. We would be in year four of the Air Raid with better receivers that fit his scheme more. And with an easier schedule I have no doubt we would average 36 PPG. Right now we're averaging 26 and 17 PPG in SEC games which is dead last in the SEC.

2. Arnett would have been able to focus completely on the defense. If he was more involved with the defense since the bye week started and based on what we saw with Arkansas it makes you wonder how good our defense could have been this year from the start with him focusing completely on that side of the ball.

3. Special teams has been mostly good this year. Arkansas was our kickers worst game but everyone has a bad day every now and then.

4. I have no doubt in my mind that we would be 6-1 right now at worst 5-2 with losses to Bama and LSU.

5. We went from something that would have given us attention with our mad scientist head coach and being the surprise team in the SEC to having our games compared to 3-2 Croom era games and people getting fired for losing to us again. And somehow we have a few fans that are happy with that!

Quaoarsking
10-23-2023, 12:51 AM
Yep, Leach's death is obviously absolutely brutal on a personal/human level first and foremost, but also just devastating for the football program. We would be ranked in the top 15 right now and everyone would be talking about the upcoming Egg Bowl matchup already.

I hope Arnett figures it out and we get there anyway.

Walkerhill
10-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Yep, Leach's death is obviously absolutely brutal on a personal/human level first and foremost, but also just devastating for the football program. We would be ranked in the top 15 right now and everyone would be talking about the upcoming Egg Bowl matchup already.

I hope Arnett figures it out and we get there anyway.

Mullen leaving a championship caliber roster on the table in exchange for his UF misadventure was similarly disappointing and damaging. We compounded the problem with Moorhead - a less than average coach inheriting a full cupboard and proceeding to mash square pegs onto round holes was my most frustrating experience as a sports fan ever.

Jacknut
10-23-2023, 07:28 AM
deleted wrong thread

Coursesuper
10-23-2023, 07:53 AM
What we are is a program that has very little margin for error due to our lack of resources. When things go south on us it hits us harder and we take longer to recover.

Santiago
10-23-2023, 09:12 AM
What we are is a program that has very little margin for error due to our lack of resources. When things go south on us it hits us harder and we take longer to recover.

I think this is why I liked the system we were building the past few years. It was still not pretty, but we could see with the QBs we were signing(Parson) that we would have more mobility at QB to kill the drop 8. And probably bigger arms to hit those windows downfield in it.
That system allows us to win , with a different type of offensive lineman, and system.
And it is more plug and play as we go forward.
For example, if Barbay leaves, then we are getting another OC and a different version of a system.. and maybe losing recruits off the coaching changes.

Coursesuper
10-23-2023, 09:30 AM
I think this is why I liked the system we were building the past few years. It was still not pretty, but we could see with the QBs we were signing(Parson) that we would have more mobility at QB to kill the drop 8. And probably bigger arms to hit those windows downfield in it.
That system allows us to win , with a different type of offensive lineman, and system.
And it is more plug and play as we go forward.
For example, if Barbay leaves, then we are getting another OC and a different version of a system.. and maybe losing recruits off the coaching changes.

This is the way we have to compete, we have to be innovative and system driven.

R2Dawg
10-23-2023, 11:27 AM
Mullen leaving a championship caliber roster on the table in exchange for his UF misadventure was similarly disappointing and damaging. We compounded the problem with Moorhead - a less than average coach inheriting a full cupboard and proceeding to mash square pegs onto round holes was my most frustrating experience as a sports fan ever.

Yeah Mullen leaving before 18 was the biggest opportunity we missed.

We wouldn't have any better record with Leach this year. May have looked better coached and disorganized but W & L probably no different.

Dang OP title scared me, was afraid something horrible had happened.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2023, 11:52 AM
Our offense was never that great under Leech.

R2Dawg
10-23-2023, 12:02 PM
This is the way we have to compete, we have to be innovative and system driven.

The AR Leach ran was 30 years old, just one decade newer than wishbone.

Coursesuper
10-23-2023, 12:30 PM
The AR Leach ran was 30 years old, just one decade newer than wishbone.

Yes, but to that fact it was a system that teams only see once a year. Now I?m not advocating for a specific system but being different isn?t exactly a bad thing for us.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2023, 07:10 PM
Our offense was never that great under Leech.

No, it wasn't. I wasn't an air raid fan, but even I could see that Leach had started running the ball more, and recruiting dual threat QB's. It looked like it could have gotten really difficult to stop.

BulldogBear
10-23-2023, 08:52 PM

We wouldn't have any better record with Leach this year. May have looked better coached and disorganized but W & L probably no different.

Also the biggest he missed. As much chance to get to ATL as the '14 team, maybe moreso.

MaroonFlounder
10-24-2023, 05:41 AM
Also the biggest he missed. As much chance to get to ATL as the '14 team, maybe moreso.

With a better passer at QB maybe.

PGHBulldogBG
10-24-2023, 05:57 AM

The craziest part is that Kyle Whittingham apparently wanted our job and Cohen hired Moorhead instead. We would not be in the position we are in if we just hired a semi competent AD when Stricklin went to UF. Anyone who knew anything about football or took just a little research to check out Moorhead knew he would not succeed as a SEC head coach.

Pancho
10-24-2023, 06:05 AM
Please remember that Keenum played a huge part in the JoMo hiring debacle...........Cohen didn't do that all willingly.