PDA

View Full Version : All Narratives Survive The Weekend

confucius say
10-22-2023, 12:01 PM
That's hilarious to me.
If you support this staff or hate it, you can make an argument based on yesterday.
If you want Wright or Will full time (we need both), you can make an argument based on yesterday.

Fun times.

Mjoelner34
10-22-2023, 12:30 PM
That's hilarious to me.
If you support this staff or hate it, you can make an argument based on yesterday.
If you want Wright or Will full time (we need both), you can make an argument based on yesterday.

Fun times.

Yep! The only thing that was settled yesterday was that we will not go 0'fer in the SEC.

WSOPdawg
10-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Yep! The only thing that was settled yesterday was that we will not go 0'fer in the SEC.

Nor will we go for it on 4th and short in a tight game... our coach is 100% the opposite of Lane Kiffin (very low-scoring, defensive-minded). In short, we could become the Iowa of the SEC before its all said and done.

msstate7
10-22-2023, 01:07 PM
Nor will we go for it on 4th and short in a tight game... our coach is 100% the opposite of Lane Kiffin (very low-scoring, defensive-minded). In short, we could become the Iowa of the SEC before its all said and done.

Boy, wouldn't that be awesome. Iowa has won 8 or more for 8 straight seasons. They've won 10 or more in 3 of those years. They've made the rose, Outback x2, citrus, holiday, and 3 lesser bowls in that stretch. They're 6-2 this year

confucius say
10-22-2023, 01:26 PM

Depends on the game. Yesterday was a defensive battle. We've gone for it on fourth down plenty.

Quaoarsking
10-22-2023, 04:37 PM
Boy, wouldn't that be awesome. Iowa has won 8 or more for 8 straight seasons. They've won 10 or more in 3 of those years. They've made the rose, Outback x2, citrus, holiday, and 3 lesser bowls in that stretch. They're 6-2 this year

Yeah, if Arnett has a run with us that matches Ferentz's at Iowa, I've been totally wrong about him and I'll admit it.

EdwardDrayton
10-22-2023, 05:29 PM

So when exactly will we be announcing our move to the Big 10. ****

Dawgface
10-22-2023, 06:03 PM
So when exactly will we be announcing our move to the Big 10. ****

They don't want an SEC coming in and whipping their a$$. No invites are coming our way. ;)

WSOPdawg
10-22-2023, 06:12 PM

I'm well aware of Iowa and Ferentz' success against the B1G middle-to-lesser teams. Being in the opposite division from Ohio St, Michigan and Penn State has seen them sparingly face these better teams, and as a result, Iowa is the best of this lesser B1G division. They've only played Ohio State 10 times going back to 2000 (and are 2-8 against them). But when they annually dominate their division foes (Neb, WI, IL, MN, Purdue, NW) and consistently make the B1G championship game, sure they find themselves playing on NY's day more than most.

I was comparing Arnett's conservative style to Iowa's tough defensive reputation BUT also a lack of reputation for scoring annually. 20-25 years ago, college football was dominated by RTGDB and play defense (which appears to match Arnett's preference), but today this style doesn't resonate with prospective recruits and many spectators.

While one game against Arkansas with a few "questionable" 4th down calls doesn't necessarily mean that's where we'll end up a few years down the road, it beckons questioning the philosophy difference of Arnett compared to Coach Leach and his AR philosophy which signals we may be swinging much more widely away from ever averaging 35 ppg offensively while settling for a lot of single-score outcomes that see the Dogs called off and penned up in the 2nd half of many games in the future due to Arnett's conservative nature as we accept/celebrate/bemoan final scores of 17-13 or 21-17 with State being on either side.

Todd4State
10-22-2023, 11:47 PM
Do we really want to be the Iowa of the SEC? Seriously?

Their offense and lack of scoring is the biggest joke in the country.

Here's a novel idea- how about we run something fun and entertaining to watch that scores a lot of points AND have a dominating defense? It's a really crazy idea I know but it just might work and be fun!

Todd4State
10-22-2023, 11:47 PM

Then don't complain about the Air Raid not scoring enough points then.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2023, 11:54 AM

I'd take that.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2023, 11:56 AM

I would take it in a heartbeat. As bad as I've bitched after watching that crap, I could get used to 7-3 wins 8 or more times a year!!!!! Hahaha

Commercecomet24
10-23-2023, 11:57 AM
I would take it in a heartbeat. As bad as I've bitched after watching that crap, I could get used to 7-3 wins 8 or more times a year!!!!! Hahaha

Yes, no doubt about it, just win baby! It would be a lot like the JWS days!

Really Clark?
10-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Yes, no doubt about it, just win baby! It would be a lot like the JWS days!

Just win!! I'd have to resign from Elitedawgs though. I don't think I could take going 8+ wins for 8 straight years and be spammed about how we suck a 1,000 times a day everyday because the offense is not what they prefer. I prefer winning.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2023, 12:18 PM
Just win!! I'd have to resign from Elitedawgs though. I don't think I could take going 8+ wins for 8 straight years and be spammed about how we suck a 1,000 times a day everyday because the offense is not what they prefer. I prefer winning.

100%! Winning is all that counts! I know I'm a dinosaur but I love watching a well pitched, well played 1-0 game with 2 stud pitchers just going at it!

Really Clark?
10-23-2023, 12:25 PM
100%! Winning is all that counts! I know I'm a dinosaur but I love watching a well pitched, well played 1-0 game with 2 stud pitchers just going at it!

Your dad-gum right you do!! That's a beautiful game to watch!!

RiverCityDawg
10-23-2023, 12:33 PM

That is not a good analogy. Our game was like a couple of pitchers throwing 82 mph fast balls with no spin but the batters are blindfolded and only attempting bunts with tennis rackets.

I agree winning is all that counts, but we don't have to pretend this was 2011 Alabama vs LSU.

Really Clark?
10-23-2023, 12:36 PM
That is not a good analogy. Our game was like a couple of pitchers throwing 82 mph fast balls with no spin but the batters are blindfolded and only attempting bunts with tennis rackets.

I agree winning is all that counts, but we don't have to pretend this was 2011 Alabama vs LSU.

He wasn't making that comparison to last Sat game.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2023, 01:25 PM

I was comparing this to the Iowa analogy that people were making in this thread, but moreso to the JWS days when we won by playing mostly low scoring, physical football. And if we can win consistently playing low scoring physical footall I'll take, in that winning is all that matters. I'm really glad we won last saturday but as I've stated since then we have a lot of work to do to be the football team we all want us to be, but maybe that win will start us down that road. And in no way was I comparing a great pitchers duel to that game saturday, lol, in absolutely no way!

Commercecomet24
10-23-2023, 01:26 PM
He wasn't making that comparison to last Sat game.

Yes, thank you!

deltadawg63
10-23-2023, 01:36 PM

They would likely have had a worst record than us or Arkansas!

speedy1972
10-25-2023, 08:47 AM

Some people don't like Jans for the same reason. Low scoring, defensive games. Personally, I like a team that can shut their opponent down no matter what sport it is in. I get as much joy seeing a team break the will of an offense as I do the other side of the ball. It starts by controlling both lines of scrimmage. The best teams we have had, all had that trait. I loved Leech, but it was tough to watch us not be able to run it in from the two yard line.

Johnson85
10-25-2023, 10:53 AM
Some people don't like Jans for the same reason. Low scoring, defensive games. Personally, I like a team that can shut their opponent down no matter what sport it is in. I get as much joy seeing a team break the will of an offense as I do the other side of the ball. It starts by controlling both lines of scrimmage. The best teams we have had, all had that trait. I loved Leech, but it was tough to watch us not be able to run it in from the two yard line.

I think we will score with Jans if he gets some better offensive players. I thought our offense looked pretty good last year, except for the part where you actually put the ball through the hoop after getting a good shot.

Johnson85
10-25-2023, 10:56 AM
That's hilarious to me.

Fun times.

I'm a little confused as to what Narrative in support of this coaching staff survived?

The narrative that he won't get fired if he wins five games? I'm not sure that's a "narrative", but sure, he's probably not getting fired now.

The narrative that Arnett is a good coach that just made bad hires? I think the defense certainly looked better, and maybe that's because Arnette got more involved. But damn we still looked like shit warmed over on offense and seemed to make high school coaching mistakes. I think Arnette is capable of eventually being a good head coach. But he's nowhere near it right now and I'm not sure he's going to get there quickly enough.

confucius say
10-25-2023, 11:49 AM
I'm a little confused as to what Narrative in support of this coaching staff survived?

The narrative that he won't get fired if he wins five games? I'm not sure that's a "narrative", but sure, he's probably not getting fired now.

The narrative that Arnett is a good coach that just made bad hires? I think the defense certainly looked better, and maybe that's because Arnette got more involved. But damn we still looked like shit warmed over on offense and seemed to make high school coaching mistakes. I think Arnette is capable of eventually being a good head coach. But he's nowhere near it right now and I'm not sure he's going to get there quickly enough.

The narrative that arnett can win here. If I were supporting that narrative, I would argue that He went on the road with a backup qb and won a SEC game as a touchdown underdog, while also showing positive adjustments defensively. Whether I agree with that or not, I can make a plausible argument in support of that narrative.

Coach34
10-25-2023, 11:56 AM
The narrative that arnett can win here. If I were supporting that narrative, I would argue that He went on the road with a backup qb and won a SEC game as a touchdown underdog, while also showing positive adjustments defensively. Whether I agree with that or not, I can make a plausible argument in support of that narrative.

Yep

The one narrative that died was that this coaching staff was going 0-8 in the SEC this year

FISHDAWG
10-25-2023, 12:21 PM
I was comparing this to the Iowa analogy that people were making in this thread, but moreso to the JWS days when we won by playing mostly low scoring, physical football. And if we can win consistently playing low scoring physical footall I'll take, in that winning is all that matters. I'm really glad we won last saturday but as I've stated since then we have a lot of work to do to be the football team we all want us to be, but maybe that win will start us down that road. And in no way was I comparing a great pitchers duel to that game saturday, lol, in absolutely no way!

I think he was originally thinking of Iowa State .... but this makes for some good reading

Commercecomet24
10-25-2023, 12:41 PM
I think he was originally thinking of Iowa State .... but this makes for some good reading

Actually it was Iowa because of the brand of football they play. Physical run game with not much passing and a stout defense and they tend to win(or lose) low scoring games(mostly win though).

ETA Kirk Ferentz(Iowa HC), is the king of the 13-10 game.

Really Clark?
10-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Actually it was Iowa because of the brand of football they play. Physical run game with not much passing and a stout defense and they tend to win(or lose) low scoring games(mostly win though).

ETA Kirk Ferentz(Iowa HC), is the king of the 13-10 game.

He's won 62% of all his games at Iowa. That's with his first 2 years turning around a bad program only winning 4 games. Only 2 losing seasons in the last 22 years. Interestingly, most forget his first HC job at Maine in his mid 30's when he was 12-21. Had a winning record his last season and went to the NFL for the next 6 years before taking the Iowa job.

Commercecomet24
10-25-2023, 12:52 PM
He's won 62% of all his games at Iowa. That's with his first 2 years turning around a bad program only winning 4 games. Only 2 losing seasons in the last 22 years. Interestingly, most forget his first HC job at Maine in his mid 30's when he was 12-21. Had a winning record his last season and went to the NFL for the next 6 years before taking the Iowa job.

I always like how tough his teams are and how hard they play. It's not exciting to watch but the dude wins.

Cowbell
10-25-2023, 02:15 PM
Yep

The one narrative that died was that this coaching staff was going 0-8 in the SEC this year
And that this coaching staff is terrible. Terribly coached teams don't improve as the season progresses