PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Physicality Edition

Coach34
10-15-2023, 11:09 AM
1. Nice Fall weekends have finally arrived after a very hot extended summer. Time for some seafood gumbo. Shrimp, crab, & okra with just a little rice hit the spot.

2. I really enjoyed watching physical football yesterday. Good to see teams impose their will and win some games

3. Tennessee beats A&M with only 100 yards passing. Drove it down them with 232 yards rushing. Just being a physical football team. 49 rushes to only 22 passes. Those Neanderthals and their winning ways.

4. How bout Notre Dame showing that Air Raid how its done? Williams threw 3 picks as USC was blown out along with ND forcing 2 other fumbles. Physical football wins again.

5. Bama got physical with UPig and held them to 250 yards of offense in their win. UPig fought hard and didnt turn the ball over to stay in the game as they lost their 5th game in a row.

6. How about Arizona blowing out the Air Raid known as Washington State? Held them to 6 points and only 234 yards of offense. Dont look now but Arizona is 4-3 and 2-2 in the Pac-12 after losing a close one to USC in OT.

7. How about that Phil Longo AR at Wisky? Another 6 point outing for the AR in a 15-6 loss. Physicality gets the W there.

8. Kentucky has come back to reality. 2nd beating in a row for the Big Blue.

9. Now let's look at offensive coach and reverend Hugh Freeze. With 2 weeks to prepare for the 14th ranked defense in the SEC- puts up just 18 points and less than 300 yards. Meanwhile LSU hung 48 on them and over 550 yards.

10. Halfway thru the season your Bulldogs are 8th in the SEC in Scoring O (Same as last year). Now with a week off to rest a little, nurture some injuries, and fine tune some things- we eagerly look forward to seeing the rest of this season play out .

Hail State

DownwardDawg
10-15-2023, 11:22 AM
I'll continue to say it. Freeze won when he cheated like it's never been done before. Now all of his competitors are buying players on the open market. He'll be another 8-4 at best coach at Auburn.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2023, 11:38 AM
I much prefer a physical football team.
As bad as they've been, it'll be interesting to see how dominant that Bama O line becomes next year when they grow up a little.

coachnorm
10-15-2023, 01:14 PM
Enjoyed your post 34 and would like to pile on some more about the AIR RAID. Going back to the Stanford - Colorado game #13 was a beast against Travis Hunter because he was a match-up receiver and not an AIR RAID participant. In the AIR RAID 13 is just a guy named Charlie, a face in the crowd. The AIR RAID leveled the playing field with the Southern Cal superior offensive genetics? All that elite talent being suppressed with scheme compliance issues LMAO? In 2023, you need to be able to run the ZONE PLAY and the AIR RAID does not feature that either. Running GAP and DRAW can not make up for not being able to run ZONE. Good post 34 and CHEERS

parabrave
10-15-2023, 01:31 PM
Enjoyed your post 34 and would like to pile on some more about the AIR RAID. Going back to the Stanford - Colorado game #13 was a beast against Travis Hunter because he was a match-up receiver and not an AIR RAID participant. In the AIR RAID 13 is just a guy named Charlie, a face in the crowd. The AIR RAID leveled the playing field with the Southern Cal superior offensive genetics? All that elite talent being suppressed with scheme compliance issues LMAO? In 2023, you need to be able to run the ZONE PLAY and the AIR RAID does not feature that either. Running GAP and DRAW can not make up for not being able to run ZONE. Good post 34 and CHEERS

Get ready to feel the Wrath of the AR Mafia norm.

Santiago
10-15-2023, 02:11 PM
What offense does Arizona run? Never really knew them as a Power I team.
TN wants to throw the ball, and has a QB that cannot throw it. But they have 5 stars to match up with A&M and just better coaching. TN is going to be a force soon. They have a great freshman QB that will sling the ball. Pretty safe to say, TN is going to air it out most seasons.
Longo at Wisky- they may need a couple years to transition after 100 years of running the ball. Also They are attracting better receivers now than what they traditionally had. Longo though, I never thought he was that good. It is more Longo, than the system.

We never could beat Bama using Mullen's power game, but Ole Miss beat them by slinging the ball. Just hope we are not going back to those days. Ole Miss beat LSU by having a far better passing scheme.
You can RTDF when you have skill players keeping safeties out of the box.
MSU never had those type of skill players.

End of the day, it was nice watching other teams play brands of football , but then sad realizing we look so bad compared to teams we used to beat such as Mizzou and Kentucky. Even Vandy looks like a team that is better prepared and better coached than us. That is my take from this weekend.....we still suck.

RiverCityDawg
10-15-2023, 02:16 PM
What offense does Arizona run? Never really knew them as a Power I team.
TN wants to throw the ball, and has a QB that cannot throw it. But they have 5 stars to match up with A&M and just better coaching. TN is going to be a force soon. They have a great freshman QB that will sling the ball. Pretty safe to say, TN is going to air it out most seasons.
Longo at Wisky- they may need a couple years to transition after 100 years of running the ball. Also They are attracting better receivers now than what they traditionally had.

We never could beat Bama using Mullen's power game, but Ole Miss beat them by slinging the ball. Just hope we are not going back to those days.

We're currently not on a path back to those days because we are not nearly as physical as those days. Heck, we aren't even as physical as last year. Hard to be physical when you don't know what you're supposed to be doing half the time.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2023, 02:29 PM
Something I find interesting this weekend is the Arizona team. After we beat them many on here were down on us because we didn?t blow them out because they were ?trash?. Now last night I read that we were fortunate to beat them because they are so good and the only reason we won was because of all their turnovers. Why do our own fans disavow a good win? We do it every time we beat somebody halfway decent. ?We only beat them because they?re down?. I call bs on all that. Celebrate wins over p5 teams and sec teams and teams that are pretty good, because they?re not easy wins and require a team and coaches with some degree of competence. Om pumps every win they get and then we in turn put down every win. I?ll never figure that one out. Smh

coachnorm
10-15-2023, 02:31 PM
Get ready to feel the Wrath of the AR Mafia norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFAFWFwViTg

https://x.com/chrisrich316/status/1713551411877708273?s=20

This is the example of a scheme coach getting brainwashed in his own head. He can not see the forest for the trees. All that talent getting shut down and he says there are just little things that need correcting? BTW another example of scheme zombies is WingT offense coordinators, it is always the players fault because they failed the scheme compliance test? In decades of coaching, I am still waiting for a WingT coach admit that he made bad calls?

Coach34
10-15-2023, 02:44 PM
BTW another example of scheme zombies is WingT offense coordinators, it is always the players fault because they failed the scheme compliance test? In decades of coaching, I am still waiting for a WingT coach admit that he made bad calls?

Aint that the damn truth

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2023, 02:52 PM
Something I find interesting this weekend is the Arizona team. After we beat them many on here were down on us because we didn?t blow them out because they were ?trash?. Now last night I read that we were fortunate to beat them because they are so good and the only reason we won was because of all their turnovers. Why do our own fans disavow a good win? We do it every time we beat somebody halfway decent. ?We only beat them because they?re down?. I call bs on all that. Celebrate wins over p5 teams and sec teams and teams that are pretty good, because they?re not easy wins and require a team and coaches with some degree of competence. Om pumps every win they get and then we in turn put down every win. I?ll never figure that one out. Smh

Think it's merely perspective. Every win is a good win when the alternative is a loss. And also it's a good win when we don't foresee many and are just trying to get to six somehow. But managing a seven point win at home in OT against a lower half Pac 12 team despite five gifts is not exactly reassuring. Again just think it's the perspective from where we stand at that moment. There are two or three different ways to look at it and all three are seemingly valid.

Lord McBuckethead
10-15-2023, 03:00 PM
That’s cool and all. Let me know when we get physical players. Air Raid MSU beat people we were not supposed to. This team is giving up 90% completion percentage to 3rd string G5 schools.

Just saying.

Lord McBuckethead
10-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Physical football always wins. You can play physical air raid as well. I really don’t care what offense you use or which defensive scheme is used. Wins, and the way you win is all that matters. I personally want to totally dominate every team we line up against. Don’t care which scheme we use to do it.

Dawgface
10-15-2023, 03:19 PM
"we eagerly look forward to seeing the rest of this season play out"

Ha ha. I'm so eager I dropped Youtube TV so I won't be tempted to watch the crash and burn.

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 03:27 PM

Amen said the preacher. And when we turn it over, it's cause we suck. When the other team dies, we are fortunate. SMH.

Really Clark?
10-15-2023, 03:29 PM

Very well said CC24!!

R2Dawg
10-15-2023, 04:02 PM

Some of those posters are not real MSU fans. They just are dumping on our team and program because it ain't AR. AR folks say any team that throws the football is AR. What a joke. There are zero AR teams out there. Ironic they want something new but AR is barely newer than the wishbone.

The AZ win is a solid win. Good QB play and we hang with LSU and Bama too. Who hasn't had issues with LSU O? This season has also went mental with out team and some fans.

parabrave
10-15-2023, 04:18 PM
Some of those posters are not real MSU fans. They just are dumping on our team and program because it ain't AR. AR folks say any team that throws the football is AR. What a joke. There are zero AR teams out there. Ironic they want something new but AR is barely newer than the wishbone.

The AZ win is a solid win. Good QB play and we hang with LSU and Bama too. Who hasn't had issues with LSU O? This season has also went mental with out team and some fans.

Remember when we went true AR in the 1st few games. Costello set all kinds of records against LSU. Then the other teams remembered drop 8 and he set interception records. It was against KY that Leach started running draw plays to Johnson and we started scoring with our RBs. And ever since then our main weapons have become the RBs bot the WRs. Should've spent more time loading up on 4 star linemen than 4 star WRS.

coachnorm
10-15-2023, 04:28 PM
Air Raid clarity

https://x.com/chrisrich316/status/1713551411877708273?s=20

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2023, 04:28 PM

Two things can be true at once. It is not all black and white. That version of AZ with De Laura was a 6-7 win team. This new QB has elevated them to a win or two more this year. If we were to have played this version of them I do not believe we would have won.

We also were extremely fortunate to win and would not have won without the 5 TOs

R2Dawg
10-15-2023, 04:41 PM
Remember when we went true AR in the 1st few games. Costello set all kinds of records against LSU. Then the other teams remembered drop 8 and he set interception records. It was against KY that Leach started running draw plays to Johnson and we started scoring with our RBs. And ever since then our main weapons have become the RBs bot the WRs. Should've spent more time loading up on 4 star linemen than 4 star WRS.

The LSU game don't happen if LSU don't have the dumbest DC in football that year. We got stonewalled all year that first year with the drop 8 - UK, AR, etc.

Agree on getting 4 star linemen and not so many WR. That was nail in our coffin.

Offshore Dawg
10-15-2023, 06:36 PM
You folks need to remember that since his experience with death that 34 has become a kinder gentler poster.

RiverCityDawg
10-15-2023, 07:11 PM
Two things can be true at once. It is not all black and white. That version of AZ with De Laura was a 6-7 win team. This new QB has elevated them to a win or two more this year. If we were to have played this version of them I do not believe we would have won.

We also were extremely fortunate to win and would not have won without the 5 TOs

Bingo. Plus it's clear now we aren't a turnover causing defense. That was an anomaly and largely due to de Laura who has a turnover history.

Santiago
10-15-2023, 07:27 PM

At least half of NCAA football runs AR concepts.
So if people do not post the way you like, then they are not fans? More of how many feel this year, that a group took control in the Bryan building and are tanking the program.

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2023, 07:49 PM
Some folks get stuck where they are on the continuum between optimism and realism, no matter how much the ever accumulating body of evidence should cause them to move.

confucius say
10-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Being physical is great.
I sure wish we were.
We're soft as baby poop.

Gutter Cobreh
10-15-2023, 08:26 PM
How's the offense the topic of discussion coming out of our off-week???

Don't care what offense we run, if we trot out the same secondary then the outcome will continue to be the same.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2023, 08:34 PM

I understand that but the point I?m making is I hear this every year, with every good win we have, every year. It?s we only win because they?re down or they suck not because we actually beat a good team. And how many games do we win if we don?t turn the ball over? We gave usc 10 points on turnovers in a 7 point loss gave up 17 to bama on tos in a 23 point loss and I could go back years and point out others. See it works both ways and guess what turnovers are part of the game. Winning is hard and we should never dismiss a good win. It?s tough and if you?ve ever played or coached you understand how tough it is to win against good competition. We should enjoy the wins against good competition because I?ve seen the days when we couldn?t even beat mediocre competition.

Now I have no problem discussing things we see that could be improved on but give credit where credit is due after a good win.

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 03:22 AM
I understand that but the point I?m making is I hear this every year, with every good win we have, every year. It?s we only win because they?re down or they suck not because we actually beat a good team. And how many games do we win if we don?t turn the ball over? We gave usc 10 points on turnovers in a 7 point loss gave up 17 to bama on tos in a 23 point loss and I could go back years and point out others. See it works both ways and guess what turnovers are part of the game. Winning is hard and we should never dismiss a good win. It?s tough and if you?ve ever played or coached you understand how tough it is to win against good competition. We should enjoy the wins against good competition because I?ve seen the days when we couldn?t even beat mediocre competition.

Now I have no problem discussing things we see that could be improved on but give credit where credit is due after a good win.

Exactly.

What I think it comes down to is we have too many fans that dig their heels in on whether they think a coach is good or not to the point where they can't give credit.

Or they're so opposed to a scheme that they won't give the team and coach credit for winning with that scheme since it "disproves" their point.

Here's the thing- just because you win which is a good thing and something the team deserves credit for- it doesn't mean that scheme wise you maximized your talent. And it doesn't mean that you couldn't have been more entertaining doing it.

What MSU does right now is dreadfully boring on offense. It's not necessarily the actual plays themselves as much as it is that we're very sloppy. There's no flow and it's not crisp. The offensive line struggles have been real. We have a lot of miscommunication between the receivers and QB. The tight ends have been bad. We're in 12 personnel way too much and it takes some of our better play makers off the field and it doesn't appear as if our OC can figure out how to call run plays out of 10 personnel for whatever odd reason. We have no clear identity. And on top of it all the coaches misled the fans about what we were going to do on offense and may have per rumor misled the players and their parents as well- so they're not exactly building up a lot of grace for themselves if/when this goes completely sideways.

It appears as if the only people happy with this offense Coach34, Woody Marks, and Woody's Mom. That's assuming he makes it through the season alive. But hey! At least he isn't getting blown up on swing passes!**

For the rest of us this offense is 13th in SEC games in PPG and 81st in the country in total offense. I've actually seen fans yawning in the stands when we're on offense. Never seen that before.

Sorry for the tangent but despite the above yes if they win some SEC games or even a game they should get credit. It has always been amazing to me that our fans run down the 2007 team because the offense wasn't great- which is very disrespectful to that team which probably had a top 15 if not top 10 all time season at MSU when you look at who they beat and what they did.

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 03:29 AM
At least half of NCAA football runs AR concepts.
So if people do not post the way you like, then they are not fans? More of how many feel this year, that a group took control in the Bryan building and are tanking the program.

What happened after Leach passed away was more about not having an AD in place. That's what is so unfortunate. This group of players is capable of winning 9 games. The boosters turned this into Chernobyl- and this is exhibit A as to why they shouldn't have complete autonomy. Everyone in the MSU family is suffering now and it's going to be a loooonnnng six weeks for us.

Honestly, just starting over is probably the best thing to do.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-16-2023, 06:10 AM
Just like 50 years ago games are won and lost in the trenches

Santiago
10-16-2023, 06:54 AM
What happened after Leach passed away was more about not having an AD in place. That's what is so unfortunate. This group of players is capable of winning 9 games. The boosters turned this into Chernobyl- and this is exhibit A as to why they shouldn't have complete autonomy. Everyone in the MSU family is suffering now and it's going to be a loooonnnng six weeks for us.

I think it will be a year or two to rebound from this, with the portal and Juco help at that.
Hope not, but it may depend what decisions Selmon makes end of the season.

Coach34
10-16-2023, 07:50 AM

It doesn?t matter who the HC is- our lack of talent and speed on D would not let this team win 9 games

coachnorm
10-16-2023, 09:34 AM
It doesn?t matter who the HC is- our lack of talent and speed on D would not let this team win 9 games

Add to the fact that probably 80% of the quarterbacks in the POWER 5 are better than Rogers and you have the perfect storm of consequences? The name of the game is talent acquisition and Kiffin and Sark were at the Mater Dei - St John Bosco high school football game in Los Angeles. I suspect other SEC programs were there also?