PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: Fall Game Vs Louisiana Tech

The Federalist Engineer
10-14-2023, 11:04 PM
Anybody at least know the score?

Hail state media loves the vapid hostage videos and headache inducing music videos, but can't put up a simple box score.

Todd4State
10-15-2023, 07:36 AM
We split the two seven inning games. Loo looked good. Loftin struggled. Dohm struggled but not too worried about him. I think Logan Forsythe might emerge as our closer. Holcombe and Auger did well. Dakota Jordan had a good day at the plate. Defense was improved. We scored 10 runs in the first game.

Overall a pretty solid day I thought against a usually good mid major. Pitchers were limited to two innings apiece for context. So this was basically like a spring training game.

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 08:20 AM
Played 2 different lineups. Won w the starters, lost w the next group. Mershon and Larry started both games. That's the only 2 that did.

trob115
10-15-2023, 08:27 AM
That was Loftin's first action since his surgery. He'll be fine come February.

AlSwearengen
10-15-2023, 10:46 AM
Played 2 different lineups. Won w the starters, lost w the next group. Mershon and Larry started both games. That's the only 2 that did.

Any info on the Larry/Mershon/Cupp situation? As in who started and played where?

Cooterpoot
10-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Any info on the Larry/Mershon/Cupp situation? As in who started and played where?

Game 1 was Mershon SS, Larry 2B, Cupp DH

Todd4State
10-15-2023, 11:38 AM

Yeah and I think Larry played LF in game 2

The Federalist Engineer
10-15-2023, 12:16 PM
How about Nolan Stevens?

Is Grant playing?

For context Steven-Cupp-Grant are the reason the recruiting class was highly ranked. The rest is typical for SEC teams. Even Auburn and Bama are getting good players these days.

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 12:56 PM

Game two was Cupp ss mershon 2b. At least started that way

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 12:57 PM
How about Nolan Stevens?

Is Grant playing?

For context Steven-Cupp-Grant are the reason the recruiting class was highly ranked. The rest is typical for SEC teams. Even Auburn and Bama are getting good players these days.

Stevens hasn't scrimmaged in weeks. Grant ha arm injury. Don't know extent

BigDawg81
10-15-2023, 01:32 PM
Stevens hasn't scrimmaged in weeks. Grant ha arm injury. Don't know extent I think I heard that Grant is going to miss a good bit of time.

AlSwearengen
10-15-2023, 06:07 PM
I think I heard that Grant is going to miss a good bit of time.

I’ve seen it mentioned in multiple places that it’s TJ, which is par for the course. I hope that Stevens isn’t one of these top talents that just doesn’t stick for whatever reason. Haven’t heard mention of him other than Homedawg saying he hasn’t scrimmaged in a good while.

msstate7
10-15-2023, 06:33 PM
I guess I've really checked out bc I didn't know Larry was back. I like him being back

Todd4State
10-15-2023, 06:46 PM
I guess I've really checked out bc I didn't know Larry was back. I like him being back

Yeah. He helps us offensively. Can lead off. Steal bases. Has some pop.

Arm strength is really his only issue.

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2023, 08:09 PM
I'd like to believe Lemonis will bring us back. I'd like to believe that.

TALL DAWG
10-15-2023, 09:19 PM
Well?we?ll know in a few months.

The Federalist Engineer
10-15-2023, 10:14 PM

Same boat for me, Super Regional or Muscara immediately hired. Surely, MSU can hire a Wake Forest pitching coach.

LSU, Vandy, Florida, and Arkansas coaches positions are all safely filled...that makes MSU the clear top job in College Baseball

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 03:05 AM

I believe he can. As I've said if I'm wrong I'll own it. It's hard to win if your pitching staff has an ERA north of 7 on the season and what was it? 9-10+ in SEC play? And yet we somehow had a winning season. Even margin improvement will probably net us a regional. I just don't think fans understand just how bad Foxhall was the past two years. It's a bit bizarre and makes me wonder if he was burned out. Sure- blame Lemonis for bringing him back last year but there was no indication that Foxhall would completely fall off of a cliff after 2021. And if Parker works out fans need to give Lemonis credit for it. I'll be honest- if I were Lemonis the way some of our fans have treated him- I would take us to a SR or Omaha and then just leave.

Same boat for me, Super Regional or Muscara immediately hired. Surely, MSU can hire a Wake Forest pitching coach.

LSU, Vandy, Florida, and Arkansas coaches positions are all safely filled...that makes MSU the clear top job in College Baseball

MSU should never hire a baseball coach without head coaching experience. If we want him to be our pitching coach- by all means. The last coach we hired without experience was Andy Cannizaro.

Ezsoil
10-16-2023, 04:55 PM
What people fail to come to grips with is how absolutely dominant the SEC has been in Baseball going back to 2017... the SEC has won five of six college World Series by 5 DIFFERENT teams and in actuality a dropped pop fly in 2018 from having six straight by six different teams ...so the days of Ron Polk being the only paid Head Baseball coach are gone and everyone else has caught up.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2023, 07:51 PM

If Cupp is going to be in the order, it seems he should be at SS. I'm sure Larry won't be fired up about DHing but it's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe LF.

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 08:00 PM
What people fail to come to grips with is how absolutely dominant the SEC has been in Baseball going back to 2017... the SEC has won five of six college World Series by 5 DIFFERENT teams and in actuality a dropped pop fly in 2018 from having six straight by six different teams ...so the days of Ron Polk being the only paid Head Baseball coach are gone and everyone else has caught up.

The great news about that is also the days of a Skip Bertman dominating everyone are gone too.

You're right though- it is SEC and everyone else.

AlSwearengen
10-16-2023, 08:27 PM
If Cupp is going to be in the order, it seems he should be at SS. I'm sure Larry won't be fired up about DHing but it's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe LF.

I started to post about this as well. I don?t know how Cupp has done since arriving, but coming in, his reputation was that his glove is what gets him in the lineup and then hope the bat can catch up at some point. I guess with it being an exhibition, the coaches have their reasons for dh?ing him. Maybe they wanted to see him against some unfamiliar pitchers. Who knows.

Coach34
10-16-2023, 08:32 PM
I started to post about this as well. I don?t know how Cupp has done since arriving, but coming in, his reputation was that his glove is what gets him in the lineup and then hope the bat can catch up at some point. I guess with it being an exhibition, the coaches have their reasons for dh?ing him. Maybe they wanted to see him against some unfamiliar pitchers. Who knows.

Here's the deal:

We know Larry can play 2nd very well and has to be in the line-up somewhere
We know Mershon is an absolute dirtbag baller in the field and switch hits.
Cupp is a true freshman that needs reps and experience. Will be very good. Needs AB's as well.

Larry and Mershon are going to play. It's what does Cupp give us vs other players?

Homedawg
10-16-2023, 10:00 PM
I think if Cupp plays he has to be at ss. Now he might not play everyday but when out there he's playing 6

Ranchdawg
10-17-2023, 08:36 AM
The great news about that is also the days of a Skip Bertman dominating everyone are gone too.

You mean the days of Skip Bertman and steroids dominating everyone are gone too.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2023, 08:42 AM
Here's the deal:

We know Larry can play 2nd very well and has to be in the line-up somewhere
We know Mershon is an absolute dirtbag baller in the field and switch hits.
Cupp is a true freshman that needs reps and experience. Will be very good. Needs AB's as well.

Larry and Mershon are going to play. It's what does Cupp give us vs other players?

Cupp will play SS in midweek with Larry and Mershon DH/2B. Cupp is going to play some SS. He's legit good. Larry played LF some this fall too. Cupp will DH until he takes over SS unless Spalitta can beat him out. Spalitta will get ABs midweek.

Duckdog
10-17-2023, 10:45 AM
Is Pico done for good?????

Commercecomet24
10-17-2023, 10:51 AM

Yeah as good as the SEC has been in football, baseball is even tougher, WAY tougher and it's not even close. The talent and competition level in SEC baseball is insanely good.

Coach34
10-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Is Pico done for good?????

If he is thats news to me. Last I heard he was expected back sometime in the Spring if all continues to go well

Saltydog
10-17-2023, 12:06 PM
I don't think he's done for good but he won't play next year.