PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead and stop playing and pay 6mil a year

preachermatt83
10-14-2023, 04:52 PM
And get kalen deboer. A proven winner at every level. He?s making in the neighborhood of 3.4 mil a year right now and only has a 3 year contract. He?s the answer IF we start over. I?m only for starting over IF we can get someone like that.

RocketDawg
10-14-2023, 04:57 PM
And get kalen deboer. A proven winner at every level. He?s making in the neighborhood of 3.4 mil a year right now and only has a 3 year contract. He?s the answer IF we start over. I?m only for starting over IF we can get someone like that.

I was wondering about him as well. Don't know if Washington could compete in salary. He's from one of the Dakotas, about equidistant to Washington or Starkville from his hometown.

They have quite a football atmosphere there though.

CaptainObvious
10-14-2023, 04:58 PM
Wait. You want State to hire another coach the fans cannot spell his name?

Extendedcab
10-14-2023, 05:01 PM
I thought we were talking about football and not a spelling bee. ****************

TrapGame
10-14-2023, 05:09 PM
Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Homedawg
10-14-2023, 05:12 PM
BI and players is wayyyy more important than spending 6 mil for a maybe good hire/ maybe not.

LC Dawg
10-14-2023, 05:16 PM
I love Mississippi State but I don't think it's realistic to think a coach of a perennially successful P5 school is going to take a very challenging SEC job.

TrapGame
10-14-2023, 05:22 PM
I love Mississippi State but I don't think it's realistic to think a coach of a perennially successful P5 school is going to take a very challenging SEC job.

We would be more likely to wind up with Beamer than Deboar. He ain't leaving Washington for Mississippi State.

PGHBulldogBG
10-14-2023, 05:30 PM
He is a fantastic coach and continues to look better each year but there is no way he is going to leave Washington to come here. If Washington didn?t get a Big Ten invite then maybe but not now. Jonathan Smith would typically be realistic but he is at his alma mater. OSU not having a home though could maybe help sway him but I still don?t know if it would be to come here

Coach34
10-14-2023, 06:17 PM
Leach is the only current HC we have hired to be HC since Darryl Royal

Kingbarkus
10-14-2023, 06:31 PM
Put a 9 million per year package for DeBoar. Are we going to be serious or what.

CaptainObvious
10-14-2023, 06:31 PM
Yep. Definitely time for us to hire a former 8th grade science teacher to coach up out football team. After all that method got us to our 1 and only Final 4. Let?s go ahead and make Brad Peterson Co-Head Coach. He already is in planning. Give him the title.

We have no chance of hiring a Lane Kiffin type guy without offering $9 million anyway.

NeuteredDawg
10-14-2023, 06:38 PM

In Starkville MS

Cooterpoot
10-14-2023, 06:50 PM
We aren't paying more than about $6.5MM IMO. Deboer isn't coming here when they're moving to the Big 10.

Churchill
10-14-2023, 07:03 PM
Well there are many out there with three letter last names **

Homedawg
10-14-2023, 07:09 PM
People amaze me w who hey think we can get.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2023, 07:28 PM

Truly amazing

Coursesuper
10-14-2023, 07:36 PM

The ignorance is absolutely mind blowing. But then again so is the sense of entitlement.

HancockCountyDog
10-14-2023, 07:46 PM

Hell, why settle for Deboer, might as well get Lanning from Oregon.

Coach34
10-14-2023, 07:50 PM
The ignorance is absolutely mind blowing. But then again so is the sense of entitlement.

No kidding. Too many let their emotions talk. We aren’t getting a P5 HC unless it’s from Wash St, Northwestern, Purdue, or Indiana

Our job is a tough one. That’s why we hire coordinators over and over

KB21
10-14-2023, 07:57 PM
It?s tough watching all these exciting wide open offenses knowing that we will have to watch our dull, boring, slow paced, unexciting offense next week.

Coursesuper
10-14-2023, 07:57 PM
No kidding. Too many let their emotions talk. We aren’t getting a P5 HC unless it’s from Wash St, Northwestern, Purdue, or Indiana

Our job is a tough one. That’s why we hire coordinators over and over

Our job is as hard as Chinese arithmetic.

Coursesuper
10-14-2023, 08:03 PM
It?s tough watching all these exciting wide open offenses knowing that we will have to watch our dull, boring, slow paced, unexciting offense next week.

You ignorant mother 17er, who cares what we are running. We don?t have the personal to play with anyone in our own league. Last time I checked it takes 22 plus to get it done in the SEC and we might have 16 that belong in our league. I?m not going to debate you because you are a zealot and can?t be reasonable. So just know that we are talent deficient and it 17ing shows.

LC Dawg
10-14-2023, 08:13 PM

You're right. We don't need DeBoer we need Penix. And a couple of their receivers. And maybe that running back who looked familiar.

KB21
10-14-2023, 08:16 PM
You're right. We don't need DeBoer we need Penix. And a couple of their receivers. And maybe that running back who looked familiar.

They would look bad in Barbay?s ?I just call plays? scheme.

Homedawg
10-14-2023, 08:32 PM
Kb on genes page thinking we are going to be looking at the same coaches that A&M would be. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Not even the same stratosphere.

Eta, ok ok I lied, it's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hell, it's not even the dumbest thing he's ever said. Which tells you all you need to know.

Bothrops
10-14-2023, 08:40 PM
They would look bad in Barbay?s ?I just call plays? scheme.

How did Barbay's offense do last year? Just curious

Coursesuper
10-14-2023, 09:21 PM

Let me see, I can live in Seattle or Starkville and recruit to the same, Seattle wins hands down. I can coach in the big ten or SEC that?s a wash. I can have mucho NiIL $$ or not, U Dub wins all day everyday.

EdwardDrayton
10-14-2023, 09:21 PM

Oh man that's sobering

confucius say
10-14-2023, 09:48 PM
You ignorant mother 17er, who cares what we are running. We don?t have the personal to play with anyone in our own league. Last time I checked it takes 22 plus to get it done in the SEC and we might have 16 that belong in our league. I?m not going to debate you because you are a zealot and can?t be reasonable. So just know that we are talent deficient and it 17ing shows.

But we could at least play an exciting brand. We are very dull right now. Boring to watch. Zero energy around the program.

Quaoarsking
10-14-2023, 09:57 PM
If Arkansas can poach away a coach who had just won 3 straight Big Ten Championships at Wisconsin, then we can at least try to hire a coach from Washington.

Whether or not we could get him is a valid question, but let's not let our chronic inferiority complex stop us from asking.

Coach34
10-14-2023, 10:14 PM
But we could at least play an exciting brand. We are very dull right now. Boring to watch. Zero energy around the program.

What? We are much more exciting to watch post Leach. We have gotten away from the checkdown passes to the RBs . Leachs offense was like the Wing- T

Coach34
10-14-2023, 10:16 PM
If Arkansas can poach away a coach who had just won 3 straight Big Ten Championships at Wisconsin, then we can at least try to hire a coach from Washington.

Whether or not we could get him is a valid question, but let's not let our chronic inferiority complex stop us from asking.

and Bert is at Illinois now because of his shitty decision. Other coaches see what he did

Turfdawg67
10-14-2023, 11:18 PM
What? We are much more exciting to watch post Leach. We have gotten away from the checkdown passes to the RBs . Leachs offense was like the Wing- T

You are blatantly biased and it's laughable. Leach's O was boring to watch (granted) and so is this current 4-8 product. At least Leach won 9 games with shit talent. Wait until we struggle against these upcoming .500 SEC teams. I get these AR fans are skewing the facts, but you currently look just as idiotic. It's the fans that see that both are horrible that get it.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-14-2023, 11:24 PM
You are blatantly biased and it's laughable. Leach's O was boring to watch (granted) and so is this current 4-8 product. At least Leach won 9 games with shit talent. Wait until we struggle against these upcoming .500 SEC teams. I get these AR fans are skewing the facts, but you currently look just as idiotic. It's the fans that see that both are horrible that get it.

Good post.

Gene34 is ALL IN on this coach for some reason, but it doesn't change the fact that the product we are seeing isn't good.

Turfdawg67
10-14-2023, 11:33 PM
Good post.

Gene34 is ALL IN on this coach for some reason, but it doesn't change the fact that the product we are seeing isn't good.

It's Croom bad. But hopefully there's a Mullen waiting in the wings to give us some wins and pride. Hopefully build on the (unfulfilled) success instead of parlaying it (too early) for greener pastures.

It_Could_Happen
10-14-2023, 11:42 PM
There is a better chance of us hiring Bob Stoops than a coach that is currently employed at Washington and ranked in the top 10.

Quaoarsking
10-14-2023, 11:52 PM

You're just asserting your opinion as facts. I found Leach's offense way, way more exciting than the dreadfully boring garbage we've sent out there this year (except for the South Carolina game). The RB pass is my favorite play in football. ?\_(ツ)_/?

DownwardDawg
10-15-2023, 12:31 AM
Our job is as hard as Chinese arithmetic.

It's really not that hard. Mullen did great. He was a lazy recruiter and job searched every year. If he had given a little more effort we would have had multiple 9-10 win seasons and would have won the west at least once in his tenure. Would have made the playoffs in 2014 with a little more effort and in 2018 had he stayed.
I get it's not an easy job, but most aren't.

Dawgface
10-15-2023, 07:38 AM
I still say we should go all in for Urban. You know he would love to live in Starksville. **

msudawg1200
10-15-2023, 08:32 AM
Some of y'all are so unrealistic. Kalen DeBoer is not in any universe leaving fricking Washington and coming to State.

msudawg1200
10-15-2023, 08:39 AM

Leach's offense produced 9 wins last year. This clown show with a veteran team and an SEC as down as it's been in 20 years is going to win 4. A side note on the Wing-T. Watching a team that can run it correctly is pure beauty. Also, you must've never coached defense because I have for 28+ years and stopping the Wing-T is a royal pain in the arse. You're talking about boring and lifeless? That crap I'm watching in Maroon and White every Saturday is just that. Awful, awful product in every phase. Awful.

WPS
10-15-2023, 08:51 AM

Arkansas was just one season removed from finishing #5 in the country back then though, wouldn?t be able to do it now.

Quaoarsking
10-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Some of y'all are so unrealistic. Kalen DeBoer is not in any universe leaving fricking Washington and coming to State.

I wish our fans (and really our entire state) didn't have this inferiority complex.

DeBoer would come here if the money was right, as would just about any coach. The only questions are:
Can we afford to pay him the salary it would take to get him here?
Even if we can afford it, should we? Is that the most optimal use of funds?
Can we also fend off other SEC/Big 10 schools who might want him?

Personally, I'm not sure that the answer to all of those questions is Yes (or any of them, for that matter), but the idea that we shouldn't even discuss the possibility because we're just poor little Mississippi State is a cancer on our fanbase.

Coursesuper
10-15-2023, 10:10 AM
It's really not that hard. Mullen did great. He was a lazy recruiter and job searched every year. If he had given a little more effort we would have had multiple 9-10 win seasons and would have won the west at least once in his tenure. Would have made the playoffs in 2014 with a little more effort and in 2018 had he stayed.
I get it's not an easy job, but most aren't.

When are y?all gonna figure out that this is a completely new era of college football? Our job is very difficult due to the facts of, one smallest budgets in our conference, a base that will never be united behind anything, lack of NIL funding, and we are in a small state with a small population. It?s a damn hard job.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2023, 10:12 AM
We aren't going to pay $10MM. You guys can forget that and that's about what it would take. Washington is probably going to more than double his salary quickly.

DEDawg
10-15-2023, 10:14 AM
BI and players is wayyyy more important than spending 6 mil for a maybe good hire/ maybe not.

The school pays for the coaches. Don't see these being competing factors.

Coach34
10-15-2023, 10:36 AM

The school actually only pays for a part of the coaches salary- the Foundation pays the rest

Bothrops
10-15-2023, 10:43 AM
We aren't going to pay $10MM. You guys can forget that and that's about what it would take. Washington is probably going to more than double his salary quickly.

This

Cooterpoot
10-15-2023, 10:45 AM
When are y?all gonna figure out that this is a completely new era of college football? Our job is very difficult due to the facts of, one smallest budgets in our conference, a base that will never be united behind anything, lack of NIL funding, and we are in a small state with a small population. It?s a damn hard job.

There are 69 P5 schools right now. We're about #40 in budgets. Better than that in NIL. We're realistically a middle of the pack P5 job. We're not at the bottom like some try to sell.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-15-2023, 10:57 AM
I wish our fans (and really our entire state) didn't have this inferiority complex.

DeBoer would come here if the money was right, as would just about any coach. The only questions are:

Personally, I'm not sure that the answer to all of those questions is Yes (or any of them, for that matter), but the idea that we shouldn't even discuss the possibility because we're just poor little Mississippi State is a cancer on our fanbase.

We can totally get any coach we want no matter what. I personally think we are aiming low with Washington's coach. I think we should consider Jim Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin. Bill Belichick seems pretty unhappy lately in NE. We just need to give them a call and make them say no.

Coursesuper
10-15-2023, 11:00 AM
There are 69 P5 schools right now. We're about #40 in budgets. Better than that in NIL. We're realistically a middle of the pack P5 job. We're not at the bottom like some try to sell.

We are the bottom 3 in our conference across the board, it?s a tough gig,

Cooterpoot
10-15-2023, 11:02 AM
We are the bottom 3 in our conference across the board, it?s a tough gig,

Nah, not at all. You're dead wrong but carry on. You seem to be doing it a lot lately.

Tater
10-15-2023, 11:02 AM

If Royal counts since we hired him from Maple Football, then I feel like Bellard counts since he resigned when he knew he had a job waiting with us.

Which means to put in better perspective, the only coaches we hired that were head coaching a different college the year before:

Mike Leach (Wazzu)
Emory Bellard (Texas A&M)
Slick Morton (VMI)

DownwardDawg
10-15-2023, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, we have many in our fanbase that have that poor little us mentality.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2023, 11:17 AM
We can totally get any coach we want no matter what. I personally think we are aiming low with Washington's coach. I think we should consider Jim Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin. Bill Belichick seems pretty unhappy lately in NE. We just need to give them a call and make them say no.

Walk in the bar and pick the fat chick early. That's the Mississippi State way.

DEDawg
10-15-2023, 11:33 AM
The school actually only pays for a part of the coaches salary- the Foundation pays the rest

I understand that is technically correct

msudawg1200
10-15-2023, 12:03 PM

Has nothing to do with an "inferiority complex". It's the truth. We could pay him more. He still isn't coming here. Period. End of story.

Coursesuper
10-15-2023, 12:17 PM
Nah, not at all. You're dead wrong but carry on. You seem to be doing it a lot lately..

You can continue to let your heart lead your head. The truth sux but you can?t run from it forever.

Really Clark?
10-15-2023, 12:17 PM

He was extended last year to $4.2 MIL per year for 6 years. He has 5 years left on that deal with a $10 MIL buyout through 2025.

Really Clark?
10-15-2023, 12:59 PM
Here is were you have to be careful with the idea of just throwing big salary at coaches at higher programs. When they turn you down, you will be the same fans calling the job search a dumpster fire. Even though you want us to make a big money move, you will turn on the search when / if it does not work. When they all turn you down and you drop down to the correct pool of coaches that likely will come, you just set a salary expectation that you end up over paying for those type of coaches. You go throwing around a $9 MIL figure and end up with a coordinator you could have got for $3 - 4 MIL but end up paying $5-6 MIL for.

If you have a P5 HC that is a legit option AND reaches out or is willing to talk and negotiate, fine. You absolutely do that for that one coach but you had better have a clear picture of what your coaching pool reality is prior and move quickly into that pool if the big hire doesn't happen. You don't want a prolonged TN type of shit show search.

Honestly, unless I have one that is seriously interested like Leach was, I go straight to a Lebby. He has the credentials of what you look for that has a higher chance of success than most other realistic options in our pool. Still a crap shoot but the credentials are there to lower the risk of a bust.

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 01:02 PM

You are living in a fantasy world. Nobody is leaving Washington for ms state. Sorry. Not now they they have a place in the big ten.

Homedawg
10-15-2023, 01:04 PM

Sure it does. The money that we need to pay for players is coming from people who help pay for coaches. Sure it matters.

confucius say
10-15-2023, 01:17 PM

If all you care about is taking a few vertical shots on offense, sure. Otherwise, no. Nobody flies around, the effort is poor, we are soft at every level, fans are apathetic, our coach is boring and repeats himself weekly, every blitz and stunt we run is telegraphed, we have defenders who don't know where to be and OL who pull the wrong way, we play with 9 people on defense. None of that is exciting. And if we finish with a losing record, that's not going to be exciting at all.

BigDawg81
10-15-2023, 01:18 PM
And get kalen deboer. A proven winner at every level. He?s making in the neighborhood of 3.4 mil a year right now and only has a 3 year contract. He?s the answer IF we start over. I?m only for starting over IF we can get someone like that. Hahaha! Yea ok

confucius say
10-15-2023, 01:22 PM

All of those were true under Mullen and leach too (NIL funding being low equals getting out spent for players during Mullen).

confucius say
10-15-2023, 01:27 PM
Sure it does. The money that we need to pay for players is coming from people who help pay for coaches. Sure it matters.

Seems like our admin should tell those people to but players instead of coaches.

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 03:47 AM
Here is were you have to be careful with the idea of just throwing big salary at coaches at higher programs. When they turn you down, you will be the same fans calling the job search a dumpster fire. Even though you want us to make a big money move, you will turn on the search when / if it does not work. When they all turn you down and you drop down to the correct pool of coaches that likely will come, you just set a salary expectation that you end up over paying for those type of coaches. You go throwing around a $9 MIL figure and end up with a coordinator you could have got for $3 - 4 MIL but end up paying $5-6 MIL for.

If you have a P5 HC that is a legit option AND reaches out or is willing to talk and negotiate, fine. You absolutely do that for that one coach but you had better have a clear picture of what your coaching pool reality is prior and move quickly into that pool if the big hire doesn't happen. You don't want a prolonged TN type of shit show search.

Honestly, unless I have one that is seriously interested like Leach was, I go straight to a Lebby. He has the credentials of what you look for that has a higher chance of success than most other realistic options in our pool. Still a crap shoot but the credentials are there to lower the risk of a bust.

Well, you don't want the coaching search to get played out in the media. (I know- LOL).

I like Lebby. I think he can be very good.

But I would be a little surprised if we just go straight to him. We could certainly pull Rhett Lashley or Tyson Helton. Both have head coaching experience and SEC experience and both have MSU ties on their coaching staffs. If Helton can pull Ben Arbuckle you definitely do it. SMU's DC Scott Symons is elite.

With Lebby there is the question of what his staff is, who he would hire at DC, and etc. That said- his resume' is similar to Dan Mullen when we hired him but of course with that came some growing pains in year one- LSU and Houston 2009. I do like Lebby's offense a lot and controversial or not having Art Briles on speed dial is a good resource to have.

And if I'm in Selmon's shoes I definitely at least kick the tires on someone like Sonny Dykes and see if he wants to come to the SEC. If he says no he says no and we go in a different direction.

Todd4State
10-16-2023, 03:49 AM
Seems like our admin should tell those people to but players instead of coaches.

That's so true. We need to use that TV money on the coaches more. Would be interesting to see a breakdown which I'm sure doesn't exist.

Really Clark?
10-16-2023, 05:50 AM
Well, you don't want the coaching search to get played out in the media. (I know- LOL).

I like Lebby. I think he can be very good.

But I would be a little surprised if we just go straight to him. We could certainly pull Rhett Lashley or Tyson Helton. Both have head coaching experience and SEC experience and both have MSU ties on their coaching staffs. If Helton can pull Ben Arbuckle you definitely do it. SMU's DC Scott Symons is elite.

With Lebby there is the question of what his staff is, who he would hire at DC, and etc. That said- his resume' is similar to Dan Mullen when we hired him but of course with that came some growing pains in year one- LSU and Houston 2009. I do like Lebby's offense a lot and controversial or not having Art Briles on speed dial is a good resource to have.

And if I'm in Selmon's shoes I definitely at least kick the tires on someone like Sonny Dykes and see if he wants to come to the SEC. If he says no he says no and we go in a different direction.

I'm not going to a G5 HC with only a year and a half as a HC and 11-8 record In Rhett. I want to see a 9-10 win season out of him at that level. I do like Symons, think he may move up this year.

Honestly, if Dykes didn't hit out of the blue last year then he's not really as sought after. I think he may be a one hit wonder because he's never shown that type of coaching and recruiting ability before. We will see, he is a solid coach but is not nearly good enough of a coach to warrant paying $10 MIL a year (he's making $7.5 right now with 5 more years left). There are several other coaches I'd give that too before him.

Tyson maybe, we will see how the season ends. But Arbuckle is not ready for the SEC. He couldn't move the offense against the last 2 descent PAC-12 defenses he's faced. 6 points against Arizona. No, he needs more seasoning.

If I'm dropping to G5, I'm looking closer at Traylor. He has won a lot at UTSA. Has had very very good offenses with different coordinators who have gone on from there to P5. Done a good job assembling his staffs. Shut down Kinne's offense this year. Stepped up in conference from CUSA this year and is 2-0 so far. Will see how the season ends for him but a winning record would put him high on the list.

Santiago
10-16-2023, 07:10 AM
I'm not going to a G5 HC with only a year and a half as a HC and 11-8 record In Rhett. I want to see a 9-10 win season out of him at that level. I do like Symons, think he may move up this year.

Honestly, if Dykes didn't hit out of the blue last year then he's not really as sought after. I think he may be a one hit wonder because he's never shown that type of coaching and recruiting ability before. We will see, he is a solid coach but is not nearly good enough of a coach to warrant paying $10 MIL a year (he's making $7.5 right now with 5 more years left). There are several other coaches I'd give that too before him.

Tyson maybe, we will see how the season ends. But Arbuckle is not ready for the SEC. He couldn't move the offense against the last 2 descent PAC-12 defenses he's faced. 6 points against Arizona. No, he needs more seasoning.

If I'm dropping to G5, I'm looking closer at Traylor. He has won a lot at UTSA. Has had very very good offenses with different coordinators who have gone on from there to P5. Done a good job assembling his staffs. Shut down Kinne's offense this year. Stepped up in conference from CUSA this year and is 2-0 so far. Will see how the season ends for him but a winning record would put him high on the list.

Great points.
As much as I harp on the current staff, there probably is a fine line on deciding to keep what we have, but make changes in assistant coaches, get a good QB in portal, and keep some alumni feeling good to keep donating into the NIl...... V. make a brand new hire and keep NIL on board with everyone buying in on that coach.
I hope MSU wins, because we may be limited in what we can pull from the coaching pool this season.