PDA

View Full Version : Umpire in ATL vs P

Thick
10-12-2023, 10:16 PM
The call strikes aren?t remotely in the strike zone on TV

confucius say
10-12-2023, 10:21 PM
Way past time to go to an automated strike zone. It's 2023. To do otherwise is to openly admit you don't care about the accuracy of ball/strike calls.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2023, 10:30 PM
The umps in the playoffs have all been bad this year, every series. It?s to important to miss as many calls as I?ve seen this postseason. Grissom last ab for Braves he should?ve been 3-0 instead of 1-2. Changes the whole ab and with acuna on deck, just awful

Thick
10-13-2023, 06:21 AM
I did some cocktailing last night before I posted, but I stand by my complaint. Sorry for the jacked up thread name, but the strike zone was way off.

msstate7
10-13-2023, 07:50 AM
Way past time to go to an automated strike zone. It's 2023. To do otherwise is to openly admit you don't care about the accuracy of ball/strike calls.

I agree.

I also think the ump being total trash isn't an excuse for the braves to be total trash the whole series. They're too good to be that bad

BrunswickDawg
10-13-2023, 08:39 AM
I agree.

I also think the ump being total trash isn't an excuse for the braves to be total trash the whole series. They're too good to be that bad

Read an interesting take this morning - the difference in the past two seasons and '21 has been that the Braves haven't had a clubhouse "spark" guy = specifically Joc Pederson. Joc could do some goofy shit (like the pearls) - but he had swagger and attitude that this team seems to miss. Yeah, there are bat flips and chest bumps - but no grit. Kinda like what MSU had with guys like Jake, Mac, Rowedy and Tanner Allen. The guys that are those MFers.

Kind of reminds me of the 90s Braves - as much as I loved Chipper, he was only that MFer against the Mets, and then late in his career when they didn't have enough talent to win it all. The '90s Braves were "too professional" and rarely seemed to have a spark guy.

sandjunky
10-13-2023, 09:22 AM
Ring that Bell

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2023, 09:29 AM
The Braves offense disappearing in the post season is a time honored tradition. It's like seeing the first hummingbird in the spring and children being excited on Christmas morning. How many games started by Glavine, Maddox, Smoltz, and Avery were lost 1-0 or 2-1 in October?

Tater
10-13-2023, 10:37 AM
The umps in the playoffs have all been bad this year, every series. It?s to important to miss as many calls as I?ve seen this postseason. Grissom last ab for Braves he should?ve been 3-0 instead of 1-2. Changes the whole ab and with acuna on deck, just awful

Disagree. He was calling low "on screen" all game and those pitches were tailing down. Strike Zone is 3D not 2D and I imagine the pitches might have scuffed some part of the "official" zone, but we're well within what the Ump had been calling.

All you can ever ask an umpire is to be consistent. Looks like he scored 95% and the grissom at bat didn't include a top 3 impactful "missed call". https://twitter.com/umpscorecards/status/1712838175893176418?s=46&t=nHgXtO20UVt90i6gEAFT8Q

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Disagree. He was calling low "on screen" all game and those pitches were tailing down. Strike Zone is 3D not 2D and I imagine the pitches might have scuffed some part of the "official" zone, but we're well within what the Ump had been calling.

All you can ever ask an umpire is to be consistent. Looks like he scored 95% and the grissom at bat didn't include a top 3 impactful "missed call". https://twitter.com/umpscorecards/status/1712838175893176418?s=46&t=nHgXtO20UVt90i6gEAFT8Q

Naw he was mediocre. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.

ETA The braves sucked at the plate with the exception of Riley and that's the reason they lost not the umpires.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 11:24 AM
Naw he was bad, and he didn't just miss low pitches he missed pitches off the plate as well. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.

del

confucius say
10-13-2023, 11:57 AM
I didn't watch the game and don't care about the breves or any MLB team. My comment is about balls and strikes calls generally.

"All you can ask from an umpire is to be consistent" is archaic and a poor take. That was true in 1990. Now, You can ask the for the caller of balls and strikes to be automated so that it is the exact same call and strike zone 100% of the time. Otherwise, you don't believe in accuracy.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 12:10 PM
I didn't watch the game and don't care about the breves or any MLB team. My comment is about balls and strikes calls generally.

"All you can ask from an umpire is to be consistent" is archaic and a poor take. That was true in 1990. Now, You can ask the for the caller of balls and strikes to be automated so that it is the exact same call and strike zone 100% of the time. Otherwise, you don't believe in accuracy.

Very good point. I honestly hated the idea of the automated strike zone but i've seen to many pitches change at bats and games. Like you said 100% accuracy should be required now, i mean if you're gonna go for getting fair/foul, safe/out right, why not balls/strikes? Of course the umpires union is extremely powerful and I doubt it happens for awhile.

Tater
10-13-2023, 12:24 PM

I mean yea, but we're not talking about robots. That's a different discussion. Having umpired before, my dad taught me that the only thing that matters with my zone and judgment is to be consistent. If it's consistent for both teams, then I can keep doing this and we can work on making it more accurate. If it's inconsistent, well, go back to score keeping and make a fourth of the cash lmao.

Tater
10-13-2023, 12:29 PM
Naw he was mediocre. Those pitches from side view showed they were below the knee on grissom, not strikes. And grissom being 3-0 instead of 1-2 was a big difference. Did it cost the braves the game? No, but it would've given them a chance. The umps have been bad across the board in the playoffs, not just in this series.

ETA The braves sucked at the plate with the exception of Riley and that's the reason they lost not the umpires.

I mean, this is literally what a computer would tell you. Those low and in strikes would have been called by a computer. These guys use the same statcast and ball tracking data to show whether it's a ball or a strike. The computers disagreed with the guy on 5 total pitches.

The tv box really seems screwy from what people on the internet say cause even Phillies fans expected way worse.

SilentSteel16
10-13-2023, 12:41 PM
The automated strike zone that was used in the Atlantic league is hilarious. Just Google Atlantic league strike zone and look at that jacked up system. Literally a ball at the guys chin was called strike 3. Also a ball that the catcher dove into the left handed batters box and missed (out of reach) was called strike 3 and the umpire had to comply with it.

This strike zone concept with computers is not the answer.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 12:52 PM
I mean, this is literally what a computer would tell you. Those low and in strikes would have been called by a computer. These guys use the same statcast and ball tracking data to show whether it's a ball or a strike. The computers disagreed with the guy on 5 total pitches.

The tv box really seems screwy from what people on the internet say cause even Phillies fans expected way worse.

It's just like any other technology it will become way more accurate than a human being. They guy scored an 87 on called strikes that were balls, that would be a B in grading. I don't think we want a B effort deciding playoff games. I like these discussions and always enjoy your opinions, Tater, especially on baseball. I coached so long I really have a strong dislike for home plate umpires, so im probably a little biased lol! I have been known to influence a few games over the years, lol!

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 12:54 PM
I would like to say this thread sure beats the heck out of the 50 gazillion "We suck, fire Arnett" threads.

sandjunky
10-13-2023, 01:17 PM
I would like to say this thread sure beats the heck out of the 50 gazillion "We suck, fire Arnett" threads.

Should it transition to ?we suck, fire Lemonis??

To keep it thread related

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 01:46 PM
Should it transition to ?we suck, fire Lemonis??

To keep it thread related

Lol you're probably right on that!

Have some rep!

Tater
10-13-2023, 02:05 PM
It's just like any other technology it will become way more accurate than a human being. They guy scored an 87 on called strikes that were balls, that would be a B in grading. I don't think we want a B effort deciding playoff games. I like these discussions and always enjoy your opinions, Tater, especially on baseball. I coached so long I really have a strong dislike for home plate umpires, so im probably a little biased lol! I have been known to influence a few games over the years, lol!

Yea I just don't think it's there right now to keep the pace of play needed up. It would have to recalibrate for every hitter. That's a tough ask. So for umpiring, I just ask for consistency. Yea 34/38 on looking strikes calls isn't perfect, but it's better overall than angel hernandez or perry costello lmao. And I have the same strong opinions in the opposite direction. Umpiring got me a lot of cash in my teenage years. Took pride in being consistent.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 02:58 PM
Yea I just don't think it's there right now to keep the pace of play needed up. It would have to recalibrate for every hitter. That's a tough ask. So for umpiring, I just ask for consistency. Yea 34/38 on looking strikes calls isn't perfect, but it's better overall than angel hernandez or perry costello lmao. And I have the same strong opinions in the opposite direction. Umpiring got me a lot of cash in my teenage years. Took pride in being consistent.

I hear ya. Thank heavens no Angel Hernandez in the playoffs, my goodness that guys horrible, followed closely by laz diaz and cb buckner. And no doubt coaches can be absolute buttholes, lol.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 03:01 PM

Just to add. The umpires who will tell you, "Yeah I mightve missed that one" i had absolutely no beefs with and there's absolutely no need to get on them for that, BUT the guys who thought they were god and never made a mistake(in their mind), different story!

I had one of the best umps I've ever seen tell me that most of the umpiring was about as good as the level of coaches he was dealing with, lol, how can you fuss at a guy like that!

EdwardDrayton
10-13-2023, 03:56 PM
Just to add. The umpires who will tell you, "Yeah I mightve missed that one" i had absolutely no beefs with and there's absolutely no need to get on them for that, BUT the guys who thought they were god and never made a mistake(in their mind), different story!

I had one of the best umps I've ever seen tell me that most of the umpiring was about as good as the level of coaches he was dealing with, lol, how can you fuss at a guy like that!

LOL! Cue some Bryan Adams " cuts like a knife ........ "

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 04:32 PM
[/B]

LOL! Cue some Bryan Adams " cuts like a knife ........ "

Yep it was one of the funniest things I ever heard on a baseball field.

Tater
10-13-2023, 04:36 PM

Yep. Always told coaches that in my line of profession whenever there's a close call someone is gonna say I made the wrong call. I get it. We can discuss it, you can act like you're riling your team up. But nothing you say to me is gonna change it just nothing the other coach will say to me will change my call. It's close, it sucks for you, but I called what I saw.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2023, 04:39 PM
Yep. Always told coaches that in my line of profession whenever there's a close call someone is gonna say I made the wrong call. I get it. We can discuss it, you can act like you're riling your team up. But nothing you say to me is gonna change it just nothing the other coach will say to me will change my call. It's close, it sucks for you, but I called what I saw.

I really had a lot of great interactions with a lot of excellent umpires and a ton of funny stories from it, but that small percentage that were bad weren?t just bad they were abysmal lol.

EdwardDrayton
10-13-2023, 05:38 PM
Yep it was one of the funniest things I ever heard on a baseball field.

Ranks up there with Polk's "so I went and stood on home plate". LOL!!