PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Hot Seat Article

KB21
10-10-2023, 04:58 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38616917/college-football-2023-coaching-buzz-hot-seats-candidates?platform=amp

Mississippi State: After Mike Leach's sudden death in December, Mississippi State made the reasonable choice to promote defensive coordinator Zach Arnett to head coach. But Arnett, who had never been a head coach, received a very moderate contract -- $3 million annually, the lowest salary in the SEC, which is 50% guaranteed if the school makes a change. His deal is limited to four years by Mississippi State law. "By SEC standards, it wouldn't cost them really anything [to make a change]," a coaching agent said. The team is 3-3 overall but 0-3 in SEC play, although two losses are to Alabama and LSU. Mississippi State can make a change without a crippling financial penalty, and athletic director Zac Selmon, hired weeks after Arnett was promoted, would be able to choose his own guy. The stretch after an open week is significant, as Mississippi State visits Arkansas and then hosts Auburn.

KB21
10-10-2023, 05:01 PM
Colorado offensive coordinator Sean Lewis: As Colorado became the biggest story in college football last month, Lewis' work with quarterback Shedeur Sanders and the offense entered the spotlight. Lewis, 37, left a head-coaching role at Kent State for a higher-profile coordinator position under Deion Sanders, a move that certainly has paid off so far. Colorado has already exceeded its touchdown total from last season, when it finished 127th in points and 125th in yards. Coaches have praised his work, noting that he's evolving his scheme despite Colorado's limitations with the offensive line. "He really started to study more pass game, mesh concepts, different splits, not super wide all the time, play-action," a Pac-12 coordinator said. "Sean's evolved a lot."

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby: Here's another established coordinator who could harness a strong first half, highlighted by Saturday's dramatic win over Texas, to generate more head-coaching interest. Lebby, 39, had success as a coordinator at both UCF and Ole Miss before returning to his alma mater last year alongside coach Brent Venables. Oklahoma wasn't bad on offense in 2022 but slipped from No. 8 nationally in scoring in coach Lincoln Riley's final year to 31st. The Sooners lead the Big 12 and rank fourth nationally in scoring after carving up a talented Texas defense. Lebby could be a fit for several potential SEC or Big 12 vacancies.

Cooterpoot
10-10-2023, 05:01 PM
"everybody let the man build his program"*

CaptainObvious
10-10-2023, 05:03 PM
If state goes to 0-5, a change has to be made or USM fans may outnumber us at Davis Wade. 😳😳

KB21
10-10-2023, 05:10 PM
There were more fans at the Oak Grove/Hattiesburg game than at the most recent USM home game.

KB21
10-10-2023, 05:11 PM
The two coordinators I highlighted would be among my top choices. We need someone who has a cutting edge offense that throws the ball and generates excitement. These two fit the bill.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 05:20 PM
You want a coach with a head coaching record of 24-31? How about **** no.

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2023, 05:28 PM
You want a coach with a head coaching record of 24-31? How about **** no.

Winning isn't as important as throwing. *

Also yards>points.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 05:40 PM
Yeah, this isn't by accident. I also don't think it's a slip of tongue when Robbie Faulk is saying stuff like "Barring a 6-6 finish I don't think he'll be here next year." That whole write up screams no confidence in this coaching staff. Based on last week's Tweet of his contract info and this week's hot seat article I'd be very shocked if Selmon hasn't already reached out to a professional search group to go ahead and gauge interest.

KB21
10-10-2023, 05:54 PM
Sean Lewis had two top 5 offenses at Kent State. He did a great job there. Go look at their record before and now after.

He has an offensive scheme that will attract talent. Players will want to play in his wide open style. Plus, he?s young. He?s into analytics. He?s super intelligent. You won?t see that ?I?m a dumbfounded dumbass? look on his face that you see on Arnett?s.

KB21
10-10-2023, 05:55 PM
GJ Kinne, Sean Lewis, Jeff Lebby, Zach Kittley, and Garrett Riley are my top 5 guys.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:12 PM

edit: nm

Jarius
10-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Sean Lewis had two top 5 offenses at Kent State. He did a great job there. Go look at their record before and now after.

He has an offensive scheme that will attract talent. Players will want to play in his wide open style. Plus, he?s young. He?s into analytics. He?s super intelligent. You won?t see that ?I?m a dumbfounded dumbass? look on his face that you see on Arnett?s.

His head coaching record is 24-31. You are a troll. In 5 years his best record was 7-6 and that’s his only record above .500 outside the Covid year where they only played 4 games…. No one with a brain would hire him to be an SEC head coach.

Activated Alpha
10-10-2023, 06:18 PM
Think it's more to firing Coach Arnett than just the W-L column. I don't know if he has let the inmates run the asylum like Morehead did because we are still seeing players put in effort. He just looks lost out there in the field and dumbfounded at the podium. He might be a good HC one day, but why are we the ones that always have to figure that out?

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:20 PM

Analytics? Hold on now hoss *** You just lost several in the fan base with that lingo. ***
I would love to get Sean Lewis here, and generate that buzz.
Kinne, or Lewis for sure.
What Colorado is doing on offense is incredible, yet you almost never hear Sanders(dad or son) give him much credit.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 06:22 PM
Analytics? Hold on now hoss *** You just lost several in the fan base with that lingo. ***
I would love to get Sean Lewis here, and generate that buzz.
Kinne, or Lewis for sure.
What Colorado is doing on offense is incredible, yet you almost never hear Sanders(dad or son) give him much credit.

What do analytics say about his actual head coaching record being 7 games below .500?

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:23 PM
What do analytics say about his actual head coaching record being 7 games below .500?

not sure. But he was already known as one of the best play callers in college football, and why Deion hired him.
edit: also Notre Dame tried to get him from Colorado when they lost their OC to bama but he remained in Boulder.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 06:26 PM
not sure. But he was already known as one of the best play callers in college football, and why Deion hired him.

So was Joe Moorhead. He sucked ass as a head coach too. Ignoring how someone runs a program is ridiculously stupid. He’s already proven he can’t.

EdwardDrayton
10-10-2023, 06:27 PM

Dial it back a little Cooter. That's a little too much poot. :)

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:31 PM

I am sure you could have just looked up his bio info if you were remotely interested in the hire.
Here is a good article on Sean Lewis....and it says he was an Ag Science major in college... for some of our fan base to say he is one of us, etc.
But interesting he was hired at Kent State at age 32. He did not back door his way into the job at 32. He was already sought after by colleges.

The analytics I read about him in the article is he won his conference in those season, improved the team.

https://coloradobuffaloeswire.usatoday.com/lists/five-things-know-new-colorado-offensive-coordinator-sean-lewis-buffs-football/

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:32 PM
So was Joe Moorhead. He sucked ass as a head coach too. Ignoring how someone runs a program is ridiculously stupid. He’s already proven he can’t.

Your mind is made up. That's nice.
You could be right, but he is winning games at Colorado with far less talent than us, and he is not "coaching up" Barkley, McSorley and the Penn State NFL players.
At Kent State he did more with them than other coaches and won his conference championship.

edit: He is getting a HC job sooner than later. He is the reason Colorado has a pulse this year. Not sure just how much coaching Deion actually does, and it goes really back to his coordinators.

KB21
10-10-2023, 06:41 PM
I am sure you could have just looked up his bio info if you were remotely interested in the hire.
Here is a good article on Sean Lewis....and it says he was an Ag Science major in college... for some of our fan base to say he is one of us, etc.
But interesting he was hired at Kent State at age 32. He did not back door his way into the job at 32. He was already sought after by colleges.

The analytics I read about him in the article is he won his conference in those season, improved the team.

https://coloradobuffaloeswire.usatoday.com/lists/five-things-know-new-colorado-offensive-coordinator-sean-lewis-buffs-football/

Took over a program that had won 10 games in the previous four years combined and won 22 games in four years after his first season. Without him this year, Kent State is 1-5

Jarius
10-10-2023, 06:41 PM
You could be right, but he is winning games at Colorado with far less talent than us, and he is not "coaching up" Barkley, McSorley and the Penn State NFL players.
At Kent State he did more with them than other coaches and won his conference championship.

edit: He is getting a HC job sooner than later. He is the reason Colorado has a pulse this year. Not sure just how much coaching Deion actually does, and it goes really back to his coordinators.

I refuse to believe I’m talking to actual Mississippi State fans that want us to hire a coach with a head coaching record of 24-31 in the G5. You have got to be rival fan trolls. If you aren’t, please pretend to be so others who read this board don’t think our fans are this ridiculous.

BankerDog
10-10-2023, 06:44 PM
edit: also Notre Dame tried to get him from Colorado when they lost their OC to bama but he remained in Boulder.

Joe was known as a great coordinator as was Arnett. Some guys are just meant to be coordinators.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 06:46 PM
I refuse to believe I’m talking to actual Mississippi State fans that want us to hire a coach with a head coaching record of 24-31 in the G5. You have got to be rival fan trolls. If you aren’t, please pretend to be so others who read this board don’t think our fans are this ridiculous.

Seriously that's crazy. But these are the same people that would absolutely hate having a "retread" like Petrino. Screw that. Give me Petrino as HC/OC and Mason as DC/asst. HC and let's ****ing roll!

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:47 PM
Joe was known as a great coordinator as was Arnett. Some guys are just meant to be coordinators.

he won way more at Kent State than they have won in years.
The lazy posts on here are the ones just looking at an overall record at a school without context. He won his conference championship at Kent State. Something that they had not done in many years prior. Got the job at age 32.
I am not saying hire the guy tomorrow, but he certainly is going to be a HC again sooner than later. I am only arguing on the thread because it is lazy to just keep giving his overall record, without realizing just how much he did to win there. They were losing before him and now losing after him.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but lazy people only look at the overall record regardless what he inherited, and that he won games.
Deion is going to really miss this guy soon. But he did a great job getting him to Boulder, and keeping him from going to Notre Dame.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 06:56 PM
Seriously that's crazy. But these are the same people that would absolutely hate having a "retread" like Petrino. Screw that. Give me Petrino as HC/OC and Mason as DC/asst. HC and let's ****ing roll!

More than likely it’s the same idiot running 2 accounts.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 07:01 PM

Every guy he listed and they like run AR. That's their biggest and first criteria.

Never mind that Kittley's luster has taken a nose dive this season has the defenses of the Big 12 are out scheming him and many now are questioning if a lot of his numbers were not more Zappe being an NFL QB playing at Houston Baptist then WKU. We will see if he can bounce back.

Garrett Riley is in the same boat, Clemson offense is not any better or worse than last year.

Sean Lewis is a very very good OC. I like him. I know the concerns about his HC record but other than Covid year, they played 3 P5 schools every single year. 12 of his 31 losses are to P5. That's a very tough schedule for Kent St.

Jeff Lebby probably be a high choice if I'm looking at P5 offensive coordinators. Has a P5 track record that you want to see.

I like Kinne but it's too soon I think and if I'm looking in that conference I'm looking at Jeff Traylor. He has done a fantastic job at UTSA and beat Kinne's offense pretty bad. Not that I don't think Kinne is or will be good but he has job hopes way way too much and is only 1 year in G5.

Jason Candle is another G5 with a good track record at Toledo, if I go that route. Took over for Campbell and has done a real nice job.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 07:01 PM

Look up Kent States season records back to the year 1987, and let us know how many winning seasons did they have.....and then after Sean Lewis first season, he had winning seasons 3 of the next 4, and won a conference championship. Won a bowl in another season.
Here is a hint:
year 2001, they went 6-5.
year 2006, they went 6-6.
year 2012, they went 11-5.

All other years were losing records. Those 6-6 years were their best seasons in 20 years before Sean Lewis.

To add more data.... You have to go back to 1987 for the next winning season. That was by Glenn Mason, who went 7-4.

So in 30 years, Sean Lewis had as many winning seasons (3 of 4 years) than all the other coaches total since 1987.... and Lewis won their championship.

Am I going too fast for you?

He will be hired by someone soon...unless he prefers to keep enjoying the ride at Boulder

Quaoarsking
10-10-2023, 07:21 PM

Just wait til this guy learns what Vic Schafer did at Sam Houston

KB21
10-10-2023, 07:23 PM
Yeah, but lazy people only look at the overall record regardless what he inherited, and that he won games.
Deion is going to really miss this guy soon. But he did a great job getting him to Boulder, and keeping him from going to Notre Dame.

Some refuse to recognize that football is a young man?s game and a passing game now.

KB21
10-10-2023, 07:33 PM
Petrino? LOL! Has been.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 07:36 PM
Look up Kent States season records back to the year 1987, and let us know how many winning seasons did they have.....and then after Sean Lewis first season, he had winning seasons 3 of the next 4, and won a conference championship. Won a bowl in another season.
Here is a hint:
year 2001, they went 6-5.
year 2006, they went 6-6.
year 2012, they went 11-5.

All other years were losing records. Those 6-6 years were their best seasons in 20 years before Sean Lewis.

To add more data.... You have to go back to 1987 for the next winning season. That was by Glenn Mason, who went 7-4.

So in 30 years, Sean Lewis had as many winning seasons (3 of 4 years) than all the other coaches total since 1987.... and Lewis won their championship.

Am I going too fast for you?

He will be hired by someone soon...unless he prefers to keep enjoying the ride at Boulder

You want us to hire a coach with a 24-31 record. He will 100 % not get a power 5 job this year nor should he. He’s a good OC that failed as a head coach. He will get another shot at a G5 somewhere. No power 5 program should hire anyone with his ridiculously bad resume.

KB21
10-10-2023, 07:37 PM
No washed up has been coaches. No service academy coaches. No QB centered run game coaches. No ground and pound coaches. No pro style system coaches. No defensive coaches. No coaches over the age of 40.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 07:45 PM
You want us to hire a coach with a 24-31 record. He will 100 % not get a power 5 job this year nor should he. He?s a good OC that failed as a head coach. He will get another shot at a G5 somewhere. No power 5 program should hire anyone with his ridiculously bad resume.

No, what I am saying is we need to be pragmatic and consider these options, which I imagine actually happens whether you like it or not. Does not mean we hire, but it is a consideration.
That is how things work.
What he did at Kent State with their history was impressive. Is he ready for SEC? who knows.

We need some intelligence moving forward and not "he is one of us" BS. Part of using intelligence is to look at the situations.
Interviews also mean alot in how a candidate presents their plan, their coaches they will bring etc.
For example, South Carolina hired Beamer over the Florida Coach because that guy interviewed really bad, and Beamer laid out a plan. But at the very least you hear the plans of coaches and gain from it as well.

I would hope like heck we have a conversation at least with one of the best play callers in college football.
Depending on the teams that have openings, and if Lewis is happy to just keep building the resume is when he jumps again.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 07:50 PM
No, what I am saying is we need to be pragmatic and consider these options, which I imagine actually happens whether you like it or not. Does not mean we hire, but it is a consideration.
That is how things work.
What he did at Kent State with their history was impressive. Is he ready for SEC? who knows.

We need some intelligence moving forward and not "he is one of us" BS. Part of using intelligence is to look at the situations.
Interviews also mean alot in how a candidate presents their plan, their coaches they will bring etc.
For example, South Carolina hired Beamer over the Florida Coach because that guy interviewed really bad, and Beamer laid out a plan.

I would hope like heck we have a conversation at least with one of the best play callers in college football.

We don’t need to consider retread failed head coaches just because they run the air raid and that’s what he is.

KB21
10-10-2023, 07:52 PM
https://youtu.be/ATlrnEEMHJ8?si=YVg88nBT-bb4N_BX
Sold! Play fast, think fast, and light up that scoreboard! That?s so much better than the we are going to be physical and run the ball shit we heard after Arnett was hired.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 08:01 PM
Petrino? LOL! Has been.

I'd take him over half the guys you listed. Not every 36 year old coordinator is a Dan Mullen.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 08:03 PM
We don’t need to consider retread failed head coaches just because they run the air raid and that’s what he is.

Article from the Athletic...
"Offensive coordinator Sean Lewis has worked wonders with what had been one of the worst units in college football. Through two weeks, the Buffaloes are averaging 40.5 points per game, up from 15.4 in 2022, a mark that ranked 127th out of 131 FBS teams. Under Lewis’ direction, Colorado’s 453 passing yards per game ranks second in the country, and the offense is averaging 10 yards per attempt (16th in the FBS). The Buffs sit No. 3 in the country in plays of 30 yards or more with 10; they only had 16 such plays in all of last season."

So Lewis has his team scoring 40.5 points per game this year v. 15.4 last year.
Yeah that offense really sucks.

We would be stupid not to have a conversation with an offensive mind like this and at least learn something regarding his plan.

edit: currently 33 per game. Double from last season.

Quaoarsking
10-10-2023, 08:16 PM
You want us to hire a coach with a 24-31 record. He will 100 % not get a power 5 job this year nor should he. He’s a good OC that failed as a head coach. He will get another shot at a G5 somewhere. No power 5 program should hire anyone with his ridiculously bad resume.

This is an objectively false statement. Kent State didn't fire him. They wanted to keep him. He was a finalist for a P5 head coaching job (Cincinnati) just a few months ago.

If you don't think he's the right coach for us, fine, but at least get the facts right. Going 19-17 in conference games isn't "ridiculously bad," especially when it was 18-10 after year 1, and the school had had 5 straight losing conference records before he got there.

Also 12 of his losses came against Power Five teams, mostly ranked. You can't really hold that against a Kent State head coach.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 08:16 PM
Article from the Athletic...
"Offensive coordinator Sean Lewis has worked wonders with what had been one of the worst units in college football. Through two weeks, the Buffaloes are averaging 40.5 points per game, up from 15.4 in 2022, a mark that ranked 127th out of 131 FBS teams. Under Lewis’ direction, Colorado’s 453 passing yards per game ranks second in the country, and the offense is averaging 10 yards per attempt (16th in the FBS). The Buffs sit No. 3 in the country in plays of 30 yards or more with 10; they only had 16 such plays in all of last season."

So Lewis has his team scoring 40.5 points per game this year v. 15.4 last year.
Yeah that offense really sucks.

We would be stupid not to have a conversation with an offensive mind like this and at least learn something regarding his plan.

edit: currently 33 per game. Double from last season.

I know how you feel man. I pulled my 7 figure donation for the same reason.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 08:23 PM
I know how you feel man. I pulled my 7 figure donation for the same reason.

Better contribute it, to attract that perfect coach to Starkville, when now other conferences are about to have an easier path to the playoffs. We no longer can say "we are in the SEC and have some money, so Coach X cannot turn that down".
Whoever we hire, better be offensive minded and be a hire that excites recruiting. That was another reason KB21 mentioned him. Lewis would do that.

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 08:24 PM
This is an objectively false statement. Kent State didn't fire him. They wanted to keep him. He was a finalist for a P5 head coaching job (Cincinnati) just a few months ago.

If you don't think he's the right coach for us, fine, but at least get the facts right. Going 19-17 in conference games isn't "ridiculously bad," especially when it was 18-10 after year 1, and the school had had 5 straight losing conference records before he got there.

Also 12 of his losses came against Power Five teams, mostly ranked. You can't really hold that against a Kent State head coach.

Facts matter to most of us.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 08:29 PM

I didn’t say Kent State didn’t want to keep him. I said he was a failed head coach, and he 100 % was. There isn’t a program in the entire country where 2-10, 7-6, 3-1, 7-7, 5-7 is not a failed head coach. That is atrocious at any program anywhere. Jesus Christ. We are an SEC program talking about wanting a head coach with that resume to be interviewed. That is embarrassing.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 08:32 PM
Better contribute it, to attract that perfect coach to Starkville, when now other conferences are about to have an easier path to the playoffs. We no longer can say "we are in the SEC and have some money, so Coach X cannot turn that down".

If they will guarantee me that they will hire a coach who runs the wing T with a 24-31 record I will give them my 7 figure donation. Otherwise I’m out.

Quaoarsking
10-10-2023, 08:33 PM
I didn’t say Kent State didn’t want to keep him. I said he was a failed head coach, and he 100 % was. There isn’t a program in the entire country where 2-10, 7-6, 3-1, 7-7, 5-7 is not a failed head coach. That is atrocious at any program anywhere. Jesus Christ.

Why are you digging deeper? I handed you an out that would have saved face ("Oh, I thought he was fired from Kent State and I was basing my opinion of him on that.") but instead you're doubling down. Going 18-10 over the last 4 years at a bad program even by MAC standards is not a failed head coach. No Kent State fan thinks he's a failed head coach. Apparently Cincinnati doesn't either.

You can't judge G5 schools on overall record, especially when their AD schedules like Kent State's did. Against non-P5 competition, he went 24-19. After year 1, he was 22-12. That's not failure in anyone's book.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 08:34 PM
Whoever we hire, better be offensive minded and be a hire that excites recruiting. That was another reason KB21 mentioned him. Lewis would do that.

You telling someone to not withdraw their commitment, while you are withdrawing your commitment?

Santiago
10-10-2023, 08:34 PM
If they will guarantee me that they will hire a coach who runs the wing T with a 24-31 record I will give them my 7 figure donation. Otherwise I’m out.

Things are about to be worse for us for a while. KB21 made a good point that Lewis generates some energy to the program. It was a good name to mention.

KB21
10-10-2023, 08:35 PM
I'd take him over half the guys you listed. Not every 36 year old coordinator is a Dan Mullen.

I know you would. You are afraid to go against convention. You would take a has been Jim McElwain over a young Lincoln Riley.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 08:35 PM
You telling someone to not withdraw their commitment, while you are withdrawing your commitment?

Sarcasm. If someone is being that picky about who we would even talk to as a head coach, they better kick in some money to get their perfect coach.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 08:36 PM
Why are you digging deeper? I handed you an out that would have saved face ("Oh, I thought he was fired from Kent State and I was basing my opinion of him on that.") but instead you're doubling down. Going 18-10 over the last 4 years at a bad program even by MAC standards is not a failed head coach. No Kent State fan thinks he's a failed head coach. Apparently Cincinnati doesn't either.

You can't judge G5 schools on overall record, especially when their AD schedules like Kent State's did. Against non-P5 competition, he went 24-19. After year 1, he was 22-12. That's not failure in anyone's book.

Why am I doubling down on a coach with a 24-31 record? Do you actually have the Iq of frozen yogurt?

Quaoarsking
10-10-2023, 08:39 PM
Why am I doubling down on a coach with a 24-31 record? Do you actually have the Iq of frozen yogurt?

Do you understand that G5 teams very rarely beat ranked P5 teams?

KB21
10-10-2023, 08:42 PM
The SEC is in need of an influx of young intelligent coaches. It?s time to phase out all the old school guys and usher in the new era of exciting offense.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Sarcasm. If someone is being that picky about who we would even talk to as a head coach, they better kick in some money to get their perfect coach.

Gotcha. Didn't read that way.

But you are withdrawing because you don't like the offense. You could have gave before the season, the NIL needs the money. But no, you are only going to give if you get what you want in an offense right?

Jarius
10-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Do you understand that G5 teams very rarely beat ranked P5 teams?

Do you understand that if you take out the P5 teams his resume is nowhere near good enough to get SEC head coaching inquires? Like nowhere near close.

Quaoarsking
10-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Do you understand that if you take out the P5 teams his resume is nowhere near good enough to get SEC head coaching inquires? Like nowhere near close.

Apparently it is though -\_(ツ)_/-

KB21
10-10-2023, 08:48 PM
Joey Halzle at Tennessee is another name of interest. Alex Golesh at South Florida.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 08:51 PM
Gotcha. Didn't read that way.

But you are withdrawing because you don't like the offense. You could have gave before the season, the NIL needs the money. But no, you are only going to give if you get what you want in an offense right?

no, because of the current disfunction in different directions. You are making some big leaps assuming it is over an offense. I want to win. Upset of course that we wasted so much time in the offseason trying to nuke something when what really was the issue was right under the DC's nose.
Total disfunction not only by that, but by those in his ear on staff and boosters.

Just win. The ones meddling with the offense could not even handle fixing the defense.

There is no company out there I would invest in with this disfunction, and getting rid of the coach will not solve all of that problem.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 08:58 PM
no, because of the current disfunction in different directions. You are making some big leaps assuming it is over an offense. I want to win. Upset of course that we wasted so much time in the offseason trying to nuke something when what really was the issue was right under the DC's nose.
Total disfunction not only by that, but by those in his ear on staff and boosters.

There is no company out there I would invest in with this disfunction, and getting rid of the coach will not solve all of that problem.

You want to win. We need talent to win. NIL is NOT the program, invest in the talent. That's what fans are doing. Just like when I see the market low, I don't sell, I buy.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:00 PM
You want to win. We need talent to win. NIL is NOT the program, invest in the talent. That's what fans are doing. Just like when I see the market low, I don't sell, I buy.

yes. When it is low, you buy though in winners. Companies that have their act together, and not run by some good ole boys that want to take your company stock back to 1997, when todays game in industry is totally different.
A good book "Necessary Endings" applies here in so many ways. Cutting ties with winning ways of the past, in order to see the future.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:05 PM
Joey Halzle at Tennessee is another name of interest. Alex Golesh at South Florida.

Golesh, really? He is 6 games in as a HC. Big no. Let him run a program for more than a min.

Hazel is the same. I know what you think, I don't disagree with some of your choices but you cannot hire a guy 10 months on the job in his first OC gig and honestly believe he is HC material, especially since Huepel calls plays.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:07 PM
yes. When it is low, you buy though in winners. Companies that have their act together, and not run by some good ole boys that want to take your company stock back to 1997, when todays game in industry is totally different.
A good book "Necessary Endings" applies here in so many ways. Cutting ties with winning ways of the past, in order to see the future.

And you didn't address NIL, which is not the program. It has the highest return in investment by getting more talent to win. That shouldn't stop, fans don't stop investing in that.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:07 PM
Golesh, really? He is 6 games in as a HC. Big no. Let him run a program for more than a min.

Hazel is the same. I know what you think, I don't disagree with some of your choices but you cannot hire a guy 10 months on the job in his first OC gig and honestly believe he is HC material, especially since Huepel calls plays.

Agree with you both on all this actually. I am not wanting to be negative, but we will have a tough sell on bringing in a sitting HC, unless outside the P5. Not many of them out there either.
Wondering if a coach with even some HC experience, but years of good OC results, will be what we have to look for.

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:08 PM

I?m sure as hell not going to hire someone like Willie Fritz or Dave Clawson over a young up and comer.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 09:08 PM
I know you would. You are afraid to go against convention. You would take a has been Jim McElwain over a young Lincoln Riley.

No, I'll take a proven OC/HC like Petrino who's actually run P5 programs including a SEC program over a bunch of maybes. (If he can bring in Mason as DC that's even better!) And I'm not even a huge Petrino fan but he's way better than most of the guys you are hyperventilating over. You don't want a has been and I don't want to take a chance on a never will be.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:09 PM
And you didn't address NIL, which is not the program. It has the highest return in investment by getting more talent to win. That shouldn't stop, fans don't stop investing in that.

It needs to get fixed this year, and let this season be a lesson to those that promoted and pined to make so many instant changes, but missed the problem right under their nose.
NIL pumping money into a school that rewards that leadership is not the solution.

I know what you are talking about, and get it, but we have to really address the big issue now. We should be able to do both.

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Mike McDaniel wasn?t the play caller in his one season as OC with the 49ers. He?s now a rival to Kyle as the top play caller and head coach in the NFL.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 09:11 PM
I?m sure as hell not going to hire someone like Willie Fritz or Dave Clawson over a young up and comer.

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you're a moron.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:12 PM
Agree with you both on all this actually. I am not wanting to be negative, but we will have a tough sell on bringing in a sitting HC, unless outside the P5. Not many of them out there either.
Wondering if a coach with even some HC experience, but years of good OC results, will be what we have to look for.

Jeff Traylor, Jason Candle they are both at lower levels and have had good to great success. Been HC coaches for multiple years. If I'm looking at that level, that's some choices. Chadwell has won a lot, need a deep vetting on him over some of his past and not just the trouble at Charleston So.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:13 PM

Please point the part of my post that mentioned them. It's not there. Another strawman stupid deflection but par for the course for you. Just so you know they wouldn't be my top choices either.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Jeff Traylor, Jason Candle they are both at lower levels and have had good to great success. Been HC coaches for multiple years. If I'm looking at that level, that's some choices. Chadwell has won a lot, need a deep vetting on him over some of his past and not just the trouble at Charleston So.

Jason Candle heck yes. All he does is win. But will a Ohio guy actually want to come here? He seems content on waiting for the job he wants. That is more of my take on things. I love MSU, but we will need Selmon selling this job like he does that BBQ Sauce***

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:15 PM

If you don?t want an exciting offense that players will want to play in, those are good choices.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 09:16 PM
We gonna beat UPig and all this goes awayyyyyy

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Jason Candle heck yes. All he does is win. But will an Ohio guy actually want to come here? He seems content on waiting for the job he wants. That is more of my take on things. I love MSU, but we will need Selmon selling this job like he does that BBQ Sauce***

Candle is pro style that is too run oriented.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:18 PM

Hope so Coac34. Really do. Just win games.
We need to not only beat them but beat them in a way that demoralizes their season. That may be by simply beating them at this point.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:19 PM

One thing we will need is someone that can evaluate talent. Mullen was good at that, to the point of some arrogance.

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:20 PM
We aren?t beating Arkansas with our glorified RB at QB.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 09:20 PM
One thing we will need is someone that can evaluate talent. Mullen was good at that, to the point of some arrogance.

Whether its this staff or another- this is the biggest thing we need

Coach34
10-10-2023, 09:21 PM
We aren?t beating Arkansas with our glorified RB at QB.

lol- yeahhhhh. UPig is awesome.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:21 PM
If you don?t want an exciting offense that players will want to play in, those are good choices.

Toledo is 9th in the country in scoring. Candle scores points and wins. UTSA was 11th and 14th the last 2 seasons in scoring. He asked about coaches who are already HC's. They WIN.

Kids won't give 2 shits for about 80% of your candidates because they don't know them. Lebby is the best one you have submitted because coaches who WIN in the P5 have those same type of credentials as him. Longo would be another.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:23 PM

I agree with that.

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 09:23 PM
No, I'll take a proven OC/HC like Petrino who's actually run P5 programs including a SEC program over a bunch of maybes. (If he can bring in Mason as DC that's even better!) And I'm not even a huge Petrino fan but he's way better than most of the guys you are hyperventilating over. You don't want a has been and I don't want to take a chance on a never will be.

I'm looking at his record with a loaded team. There's not a single player that is starting on that offense graded lower than 4 star. That's not counting his 5 star QB, RB, WR. Most of the 4 stars are rated 94 and up.

To me, if you have that talent and are 3-2, I'm not sure what you can do with the few we get vs those teams.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:24 PM

He scores, wins and has run a successful program for several years.

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 09:25 PM

it's not going away.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:25 PM

Agree. The man wins.
Just don't think Ohio comes to MS.
Probably waiting his turn in the Big 10

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:26 PM
Agree. The man wins.
Just don't think Ohio comes to MS.
Probably waiting his turn in the Big 10

Oh I'm not sure he will but that's the type of coach you look at at that level.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 09:29 PM
Oh I'm not sure he will but that's the type of coach you look at at that level.

yes. Seems those types are all coming out of the midwest or something.
Campbell went to Iowa State, Candle from Ohio. Lewis also(not to stir that up again) is from Wisconsin. Leipold at kansas basically from Wisconsin.

The Wisconsin guys actually might acclimate better at MSU than the others. At least Lewis has an Ag Degree from Wisconsin ***

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Toledo is 9th in the country in scoring. Candle scores points and wins. UTSA was 11th and 14th the last 2 seasons in scoring. He asked about coaches who are already HC's. They WIN.

Kids won't give 2 shits for about 80% of your candidates because they don't know them. Lebby is the best one you have submitted because coaches who WIN in the P5 have those same type of credentials as him. Longo would be another.

Keep thinking that. Jeff Traylor is just another Chad Morris. Jason Candle is too run oriented.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Campbell went to Iowa State, Candle from Ohio. Lewis also(not to stir that up again) is from Wisconsin. Leipold at kansas basically from Wisconsin.

I mean, there is a reason that Ohio produces one of the highest number of successful coaches in the country of any state. It's a great breeding ground.

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:34 PM
As far as Longo goes, I love his offense but he?s too old. 55. No thanks.

confucius say
10-10-2023, 09:38 PM
Think it's more to firing Coach Arnett than just the W-L column. I don't know if he has let the inmates run the asylum like Morehead did because we are still seeing players put in effort. He just looks lost out there in the field and dumbfounded at the podium. He might be a good HC one day, but why are we the ones that always have to figure that out?

A head coach at this level has to be a leader of men. He has to exude that.
ZA doesn't. Maybe he will one day. But not now.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:39 PM

The Wisconsin guys actually might acclimate better at MSU than the others. At least Lewis has an Ag Degree from Wisconsin ***

Keep thinking that. Jeff Traylor is just another Chad Morris. Jason Candle is too run oriented.

The numbers don't lie KB, not matter how much you wish it, Candle is running the 9th scoring offense in the country. Period.

You just have no clue what you are talking about. Traylor has been very very good at UTSA. Part of that success has been that he is extremely good at getting coordinators that are very successful. His coordinator last year is now the OC at Oregon. WINS don't care if he runs an AR or not. He has won. But you are too blinded to know that he also uses analytics.

confucius say
10-10-2023, 09:41 PM

Colorado's offense has more talent than ours. They actually have guys playing offense who will play in the nfl.

KB21
10-10-2023, 09:45 PM
The numbers don't lie KB, not matter how much you wish it, Candle is running the 9th scoring offense in the country. Period.

You just have no clue what you are talking about. Traylor has been very very good at UTSA. Part of that success has been that he is extremely good at getting coordinators that are very successful. His coordinator last year is now the OC at Oregon. WINS don't care if he runs an AR or not. He has won. But you are too blinded to know that he also uses analytics.

Billy Napier?s offense was productive at Louisiana but it?s ineffective and boring at Florida. It?s because he?s not a modern offensive coach. He?s the typical pro style, run the ball to set up play action ground and pound coach.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 09:56 PM
Billy Napier?s offense was productive at Louisiana but it?s ineffective and boring at Florida. It?s because he?s not a modern offensive coach. He?s the typical pro style, run the ball to set up play action ground and pound coach.

Another deflection. Again, the scoreboard doesn't care. 9th in scoring in the country. And he wins. Not even my top candidate but damn you are purposefully obtuse. BTW, Golesh has run the ball a lot more that Candle. Lebby is 5 rushes off the pace. TCU is 3 off the same number of rushes. All you care about is AR. I care about winning and who can run a program. My way works, and he wouldn't be my first choice but if you are looking at G5 coaches they have to have the years as a HC and the wins.

I wasn't big on Napier, but anything to get rid of Moorehead was fine with me at the time. He had to be gone because he couldn't run the program.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 10:08 PM
Colorado's offense has more talent than ours. They actually have guys playing offense who will play in the nfl.

This is what people are ignoring. We really lack talent on this team. We are an old team with almost no draft picks. Thats why we are here- not our choice of HC/OC/DC

99jc
10-10-2023, 10:09 PM

beat the hogs in Fayetteville! you have lost your 17ing mind!

Santiago
10-10-2023, 10:11 PM
This is what people are ignoring. We really lack talent on this team. We are an old team with almost no draft picks. Thats why we are here- not our choice of HC/OC/DC

Who is a draft pick on their offense? Hunter but they put up numbers without him also.
The OL is really worse than ours.
Sanders is maybe NFL, but is it the OC's scheme?

Not seeing that much on offense compared to us, in terms of current starters.

We are here with a bad defense, and yet our HC was the DC for the past 3 years?
So have we gone from saying we look like 1997, to now the cupboard is bare?

Coach34
10-10-2023, 10:15 PM
Who is a draft pick on their offense? Hunter but they put up numbers without him also.

I havent checked out their team- but we dont have much draft talent on this team. Thats why we have sooo many seniors

also- check out the defenses they have played

Santiago
10-10-2023, 10:20 PM
I havent checked out their team- but we dont have much draft talent on this team. Thats why we have sooo many seniors

They improved their scoring from 15 a game to over 30 in a season. The OC is a big reason why. He has a very bad OL.
That was really the initial comments. The OC has done a heck of a job, and is good. Then someone posted they have NFL players, but no one is naming them on offense.

Santiago
10-10-2023, 10:26 PM

How does Arnett get a free pass on this issue if he was the DC ? That is something I have tried to at least reason out, but he has to share some blame.

Maverick91
10-10-2023, 10:27 PM
If they will guarantee me that they will hire a coach who runs the wing T with a 24-31 record I will give them my 7 figure donation. Otherwise I?m out.

I mean if you are giving 7 figure donations for nothing, let?s set up a meeting. I am in need of a new car, grill, hunting camp, I need to buy my babygirl some new paint for her room.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 10:30 PM
They improved their scoring from 15 a game to over 30 in a season. The OC is a big reason why. He has a very bad OL.
That was really the initial comments. The OC has done a heck of a job, and is good. Then someone posted they have NFL players, but no one is naming them on offense.

They scored against bad defenses.

TCU- 48th
Nebraska- 42nd
Oregon- 5th shut down
Colorado State- 128th
USC- 79th
Arizona State- 88th

Coach34
10-10-2023, 10:31 PM
How does Arnett get a free pass on this issue if he was the DC ? That is something I have tried to at least reason out, but he has to share some blame.

He is certainly part of the blame. But who is the closer in recruiting? The HC

Jarius
10-10-2023, 10:35 PM
I mean if you are giving 7 figure donations for nothing, let?s set up a meeting. I am in need of a new car, grill, hunting camp, I need to buy my babygirl some new paint for her room.

I’ve got you covered. Just need your banking account information.

Todd4State
10-10-2023, 11:33 PM
it's not going away.

Yep. Especially considering most in the media thought our record would be 3-3 at this point.

Unlike most- actually all- of our previous AD's Selmon is a football guy and even if we somehow turn this around it's not sustainable.

Todd4State
10-10-2023, 11:45 PM
If I were in Selmon's shoes I would likely hire GJ Kinne or Tyson Helton. I wouldn't mind Sean Lewis. I know fans see MAC and think Joe Moorhead but Kent State is an impossible place to win- they have been to five bowls all time. Lewis has two of those. And he also has a division championship there. I know some fans are going to be like "well I want to see what Kinne can do over multiple years"- but I think he has very real talent. You take a chance on that if you think it is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3Afxz70zo

This is the type of energy we need from our coach.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 11:56 PM
yes. Seems those types are all coming out of the midwest [QUOTE=Todd4State;1547060]If I were in Selmon's shoes I would likely hire GJ Kinne or Tyson Helton. I wouldn't mind Sean Lewis. I know fans see MAC and think Joe Moorhead but Kent State is an impossible place to win- they have been to five bowls all time. Lewis has two of those. And he also has a division championship there. I know some fans are going to be like "well I want to see what Kinne can do over multiple years"- but I think he has very real talent. You take a chance on that if you think it is there.

Too much job hopping, never been at a place more than a year. Just can't turn over a P5 job to someone that doesn't have a record of building something and maintaining for multiple years. Who's never even recruited. Just can't. And I like him, think he's going to be good.

KB21
10-11-2023, 06:53 AM
We have to get an experienced old school coach because we are afraid of trying to find the next Lincoln Riley.

confucius say
10-11-2023, 07:37 AM

QB is the most important position in football.
They have a QB who will be drafted in the nfl.
We have a qb would not start at many G5 programs.
I love will, but it's true.

Santiago
10-11-2023, 07:59 AM
He is certainly part of the blame. But who is the closer in recruiting? The HC

Agree. Just saying Arnett cannot get a free pass either

Jarius
10-11-2023, 08:01 AM
If I were in Selmon's shoes I would likely hire GJ Kinne or Tyson Helton. I wouldn't mind Sean Lewis. I know fans see MAC and think Joe Moorhead but Kent State is an impossible place to win- they have been to five bowls all time. Lewis has two of those. And he also has a division championship there. I know some fans are going to be like "well I want to see what Kinne can do over multiple years"- but I think he has very real talent. You take a chance on that if you think it is there.

Tyson Helton and Kinne would be solid choices. Lewis has already gotten a shot and did nothing to suggest he can run an SEC football program. He will get hired again in the G5 somewhere and get another shot. We would be the only SEC school that would even consider him if we interviewed him. I like Lebby a lot if we go the OC route, but would prefer someone who has successfully run a program. Arnett and Moorhead have proven that just because you're a good coordinator doesn't mean you're going to be able to handle running the day to day ops of an SEC program. Chadwell runs an offense that fits our recruiting footprint, but I would prefer an up tempo offense that throws it a little bit more than he does. We could do a lot worse than him though.

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 08:26 AM

It has nothing to do w success. It's whether they are air raid. But you knew that.

TrapGame
10-11-2023, 08:36 AM

We were only 10 points ahead of a MAC team with a 3rd string QB at the start of the 4th quarter.

We ain't beating Arkansas.

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 08:40 AM
We were only 10 points ahead of a MAC team with a 3rd string QB at the start of the 4th quarter.

I agree but he is not a typical 3rd string QB. Not that it matters, it shouldn't have happened but this is a grad transfer who has thrown for over 6000 yards at Old Dominion.

KB21
10-11-2023, 09:06 AM
It has nothing to do w success. It's whether they are air raid. But you knew that.

That's obvious, considering that none of my top three choices (Kinne, Lewis, Lebby) are Air Raid unless you are equating using some air raid concepts in the passing game as being Air Raid.

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 09:10 AM

You're right, I do know that.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:24 AM

I read on here all the time how winning does not matter.... It's running an exciting offense.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:28 AM
Another deflection. Again, the scoreboard doesn't care. 9th in scoring in the country. And he wins. Not even my top candidate but damn you are purposefully obtuse. BTW, Golesh has run the ball a lot more that Candle. Lebby is 5 rushes off the pace. TCU is 3 off the same number of rushes. All you care about is AR. I care about winning and who can run a program. My way works, and he wouldn't be my first choice but if you are looking at G5 coaches they have to have the years as a HC and the wins.

I wasn't big on Napier, but anything to get rid of Moorehead was fine with me at the time. He had to be gone because he couldn't run the program.

No he's telling you, by example, that he has yet to be able to produce at UF due to his style of offense. He's not wrong and he has way better talent than MSU.

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 09:30 AM
I read on here all the time how winning does not matter.... It's running an exciting offense.

Where have I ever said that?

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:30 AM

No we do not. We have the talent to compete, we lack the coaching. And we are about to fix that, Arnett will not be retained.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:32 AM

And Gene34 agreed with that comment

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 09:35 AM
No he's telling you, by example, that he has yet to be able to produce at UF due to his style of offense. He's not wrong and he has way better talent than MSU.

He is wrong, it's because he hasn't been a good HC at Florida. It wouldn't matter what scheme he is running.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:35 AM
QB is the most important position in football.
They have a QB who will be drafted in the nfl.
We have a qb would not start at many G5 programs.
I love will, but it's true.

Then we had better go to an offensive style that attracts QBs and WRs.... Oh wait........

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:38 AM
I agree but he is not a typical 3rd string QB. Not that it matters, it shouldn't have happened but this is a grad transfer who has thrown for over 6000 yards at Old Dominion.

LOL! I love when people post things to some what defend what happened. Come on man. If he was great at OD, then why the step down rather than the SEC?

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 09:42 AM
LOL! I love when people post things to some what defend what happened. Come on man. If he was great at OD, then why the step down rather than the SEC?

I didn't defend crap. Read my post. I said it doesn't make a difference and it shouldn't have happened regardless. He is just not a typical 3rd string QB. I don't know why Western MI don't play him, if he plays the whole game then our game might have been worse. He picked us apart. He may just have had a great day. It's shouldn't have happened but he is also someone that's has played a lot of ball and thrown for a lot of yards.

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 10:27 AM

To the people w a brain it does.....

Jarius
10-11-2023, 10:28 AM
To the people w a brain it does.....

You’re interacting with a couple who don’t have one, but you know that already.

PGHBulldogBG
10-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Retaining Arnett is going to be decided in the back half of the season. It he somehow goes 3-3 or better we will keep him. Anything worse than that and I think Selmon will move on to someone else. That person will get a longer leash though because it should be someone more experienced and a track recording or being a successful head coach elsewhere. Most coaches looking in our job should know Arnett was a band aid and they will get a few years to build the program even if they have a bad 2024 season

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Where have I ever said that?

Where did I say you have? I said it's been used here on this message board.

Maverick91
10-11-2023, 11:52 AM
I?ve got you covered. Just need your banking account information.

Ballin 🤑

Maverick91
10-11-2023, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Santiago;1547033]yes. Seems those types are all coming out of the midwest

Too much job hopping, never been at a place more than a year. Just can't turn over a P5 job to someone that doesn't have a record of building something and maintaining for multiple years. Who's never even recruited. Just can't. And I like him, think he's going to be good.

I?m fine with interviewing the guy and asking point blank ?why you been hoping around like you a hot potato?? See what he says you can always not hire him.

basedog
10-11-2023, 12:15 PM
Times have changed big time in college sports. It's all a business now, no such thing with "let's give it time". Players can leave at anytime and transfer without having to sit, Coaches make to much money to have the "wait and give it time" with all the mess players can do. Money drives everything, don't think fans will give or attend watching a bad product. It's just the facts, it's sad but the gamble with trying to let someone learn on the job or a player needed time to be "coached up" while sitting on the bench is gone!

R2Dawg
10-11-2023, 12:25 PM
Then we had better go to an offensive style that attracts QBs and WRs.... Oh wait........

Ha, Ha. You really asking that question?

Just some guy named Dak - best MSU QB ever.

Since you like records - Fitz didn't do too bad. And before your time ole Bond beat LSU 4 straight years, he was pretty good in the day.

We've had plenty of good QBs.

Will is the best AR passer we've had out of 2 or 3. Fitz would have destroyed a D in the AR running the ball. He can throw a 5 yard route too.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2023, 12:37 PM

Name all the stud QBs and WRs Leach signed.

DownwardDawg
10-11-2023, 12:42 PM

I actually think Arkansas is going to hammer us.

DownwardDawg
10-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Here's the funny thing. The game will change again. Head coaches will start focusing on defense talent and speed again. They'll build giant OL's (see Bama). Big bruising RB's. Dual threat QB's. Sound familiar??!?
The game will change again and we will be chasing a system that is fazing out. We need to run a Mullen/Malzahn type offense and focus heavily on defensive recruiting.

Whoever that coach is. I'm not suggesting names, but we need to be proactive, not reactive like we always are.

KB21
10-11-2023, 12:51 PM
If you truly think that the future of football is go to back to the days of minimizing the passing game, then you don't have a clue what direction football is actually going in.

TrapGame
10-11-2023, 02:14 PM
I actually think Arkansas is going to hammer us.

KJ Jefferson will set a QB rushing record on us. Hell, he might set a passing record too.

DawgFromOxford
10-11-2023, 03:15 PM
KJ Jefferson will set a QB rushing record on us. Hell, he might set a passing record too.

27 of 28 passing coming up for sure.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Name all the stud QBs and WRs Leach signed.

Locke, Robinson, Rogers.

Most of those guys are either true freshmen or RS freshmen and one SO. They still have to prove themselves at this level, but:

-Sawyer: Threw for 12,148 yards in 3 years in HS. 146 TDs to 22 INTs while averaging 4.2 per carry.

-Locke: 11,182 in 3 years setting the Texas Class 6A career record with 128 touchdown passes on 26 interceptions and ranking second all time with 11,182 yards passing. He left us due to the AR being changed and is now with an Air Raid offense under Longo.

- Parson.... 1 year starter, threw for 1032 yards (not a typo) with 5 TDs and 3 Ints. Threw this in because of stats.

C&DDAWG32
10-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Can anyone make an argument for keeping ZA? What makes him any more than what Matt Luke was to OM? I'm not trying to start anything I am genuinely curious. I don't think he's a bad coach I just think he's in way over his head. I know people will say if we fire him after one year no one will want to come here but I think that's just crap. You'd have the opportunity to start with a blank slate and I would much rather give a good coach time than a fill in coach more time to fail.

HancockCountyDog
10-11-2023, 04:19 PM
Locke, Robinson, Rogers.

Most of those guys are either true freshmen or RS freshmen and one SO. They still have to prove themselves at this level, but:

-Sawyer: Threw for 12,148 yards in 3 years in HS. 146 TDs to 22 INTs while averaging 4.2 per carry.

-Locke: 11,182 in 3 years setting the Texas Class 6A career record with 128 touchdown passes on 26 interceptions and ranking second all time with 11,182 yards passing. He left us due to the AR being changed and is now with an Air Raid offense under Longo.

- Parson.... 1 year starter, threw for 1032 yards (not a typo) with 5 TDs and 3 Ints. Threw this in because of stats.

Sawyer and Locke were not star players that we outrecruited guys for. Sawyer has thrown 4 interceptions and 1 TD at Baylor and he is in his 3rd year of college ball, so he sure looks like a bust. Locke was never a big time recruit. We didn't beat anyone out for him. CHeck his official visits. His only one was to MSU.

That lets you know about his recruitment.

Leroy Jenkins
10-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Longo is AR? Wisconsin runs about 55-60% of the time.

Those Big10 winters don't seem too AR friendly.

WPS
10-11-2023, 07:22 PM

I don?t think either fanbase is going to be very confident heading into that one

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 07:54 PM
I don?t think either fanbase is going to be very confident heading into that one

I guess on the positive side, we don't have 7 figures of nil money on a qb like they do ........

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 08:08 PM
Longo is AR? Wisconsin runs about 55-60% of the time.

Those Big10 winters don't seem too AR friendly.

Yes. There is a total misconception by a lot of MSU fans on what the air raid is. It's not throwing it 90 times per game.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-badgers-fickell-longo-big-ten-351c84f9bb82097be8bc0e8426c8da5f

Arrival of Phil Longo’s Air Raid offense has made Wisconsin more attractive to receivers

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 08:23 PM
Sawyer and Locke were not star players that we outrecruited guys for. Sawyer has thrown 4 interceptions and 1 TD at Baylor and he is in his 3rd year of college ball, so he sure looks like a bust. Locke was never a big time recruit. We didn't beat anyone out for him. CHeck his official visits. His only one was to MSU.

That lets you know about his recruitment.

Locke had offers from NC, Miami, Louisville, Kansas, Ark, wake, and more. Yes we beat them out and yes he took visits to them.

Sawyer is projected 4th rounder. Yes we beat out a crap ton of places for him too. You know... places like TX, USC Trojans, TCU, FSU.

So yes. We attracted a lot of talent at QB simply due to the system

Cooterpoot
10-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Locke, Robinson, Rogers.

None are even starting anywhere and they're studs? LOL no. And Parson didn't come here because of Leach.

Coach34
10-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Sawyer is projected 4th rounder.

Please show me where someone credible said this

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 08:39 PM
Locke had offers from NC, Miami, Louisville, Kansas, Ark, wake, and more. Yes we beat them out and yes he took visits to them.

Sawyer is projected 4th rounder. Yes we beat out a crap ton of places for him too. You know... places like TX, USC Trojans, TCU, FSU.

Projected as a 4th rounder by who??? Mr Rogers neighborhood??

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 08:39 PM

Locke took an unofficial to Ark in 2019. He didn't have a committable offer and they never pursued him later. Miami wasn't committable and he never visited. He never visited Louisville. He unofficially visited UNC in Apr 2021, unknown if he could commit. We were his only other visit and committed to us in May 2021.

Sawyer visited FSU and us. FSU offered on his visit, unknown if he could actually commit. None of his higher profile schools you listed did he visit nor could he commit to them. We didn't beat any of them out for him. If he doesn't play much much better, he won't be the full time starter much less a 4th round draft pick. That's not a realistic projection at all for him right now.

They both were highly rated and wished we were able to keep Locke. I think he will end up being good. They just wasn't as highly sought after by bigger programs as you are portraying, nor did they take a ton of visits.

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 08:40 PM

And no we didn't beat those teams for sawyer bro. Don't believe everything you read. Wrong

Leroy Jenkins
10-11-2023, 08:40 PM
Yes. There is a total misconception by a lot of MSU fans on what the air raid is. It's not throwing it 90 times per game.

Well hes's thrown it about 45% of the time, sounds more like Air Warning.

Jarius
10-11-2023, 08:41 PM
Projected as a 4th rounder by who??? Mr Rogers neighborhood??

Sawyer Robertson being a projected 4th round draft pick. Boy I’ve heard it all now. Absolute clown.

KB21
10-11-2023, 08:45 PM
None are even starting anywhere and they're studs? LOL no. And Parson didn't come here because of Leach.

I chose Mississippi State because I felt like it was a great opportunity to showcase my talents, playing in the toughest conference for one of the greatest football coaches ever. Mississippi State?s system is quarterback friendly and it allows the quarterback to have full control of the offense.

Direct quote from Chris Parson.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 08:49 PM

How many teams are starting as a freshman or a SO. Just because they are not the starters yet does not mean they are bad. It means they are young. Both are #2

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 08:50 PM
And no we didn't beat those teams for sawyer bro. Don't believe everything you read. Wrong

Lol... ok

KB21
10-11-2023, 08:51 PM
Well hes's thrown it about 45% of the time, sounds more like Air Warning.

Actually, he?s called 50% pass plays and around 42% run plays with 8% scrambles/sacks.

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 08:59 PM
Actually, he?s called 50% pass plays and around 42% run plays with 8% scrambles/sacks.

And you like that??

Coach34
10-11-2023, 09:01 PM
Lol... ok

projected 4th round by who?

Really Clark?
10-11-2023, 09:04 PM

Where did you pull that? The raw numbers have them at 53.5% runs

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 09:27 PM
How many teams are starting as a freshman or a SO. Just because they are not the starters yet does not mean they are bad. It means they are young. Both are #2

I actually agree w that part about young guys. Problem is Sawyer is a 3rd year guy and isn't very good.... they will look to the portal again. He ain't it.

BlackSailsDawg
10-11-2023, 09:28 PM
And you like that??

And once again, everybody wants a better run game.

Coach34
10-11-2023, 09:31 PM

4th round by who?

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 10:15 PM

No no no. Not kb not at all. He's on the record multiple times running is stupid other than end game situations. So either keep up w him or stay out and let him handle his own lies

Homedawg
10-11-2023, 10:15 PM
4th round by who?

KB's twin. Won't answer. Dodge deflect.

RezDog7
10-11-2023, 10:38 PM

I'm dumber now for having read this. There are some morons on this board but you take the cake.

preachermatt83
10-13-2023, 10:17 PM
If we hire the offensive coordinator from a mediocre team like Colorado to be our head coach then we are dumber than I thought.

KB21
10-14-2023, 03:03 AM
If we hire the offensive coordinator from a mediocre team like Colorado to be our head coach then we are dumber than I thought.

Yeah. His offense is just too explosive. He?s not ground and pound enough. We got to get someone that runs the triple option instead.

I mean, he?s only improved Colorado?s offense from 127th in scoring last year to 31st this year. This is after being #1 in scoring 2 years ago at Kent State.

PGHBulldogBG
10-14-2023, 07:50 AM

Sean Lewis may end up being a great head coach someday, but I would want more on the resume than a losing record at Kent State as HC and an offensive coordinator at a team that is not complete. Maybe in 5 years if he is hired at a big 12 school and succeeds like Leipold and Kleiman did that would be more impressive

Jarius
10-14-2023, 08:57 AM

There is zero chance that guy is an SEC head coach next year. No one with a brain would hire that guy to run an SEC program with his resume.

Cooterpoot
10-14-2023, 09:27 AM
Yeah. His offense is just too explosive. He?s not ground and pound enough. We got to get someone that runs the triple option instead.

I mean, he?s only improved Colorado?s offense from 127th in scoring last year to 31st this year. This is after being #1 in scoring 2 years ago at Kent State.

Bringing in all new players has more to do with that. Sanders and Hunter were big upgrades. CO brought on a ton of players.

Quaoarsking
10-14-2023, 11:09 AM
Funny how the same posters who drool over a guy who had a losing record at Baylor, a losing record at the Panthers, and very nearly a losing record at Temple won't look past Lewis's record at a much harder job like Kent State. It's selective nuance.

Todd4State
10-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Bringing in all new players has more to do with that. Sanders and Hunter were big upgrades. CO brought on a ton of players.

That's not a negative in my book since we need to learn how to evaluate the portal better. And it is going to be our quickest way back to 8-10 wins. In the meantime we're scouring the JUCO ranks for talent...

Todd4State
10-14-2023, 12:35 PM
Funny how the same posters who drool over a guy who had a losing record at Baylor, a losing record at the Panthers, and very nearly a losing record at Temple won't look past Lewis's record at a much harder job like Kent State. It's selective nuance.

The key for me would be the DC hire if he were hired by anyone really. No way he could attract someone good to Kent State. If he were able to attract an above average DC we would be more than Ok.

Cooterpoot
10-14-2023, 12:39 PM
That's not a negative in my book since we need to learn how to evaluate the portal better. And it is going to be our quickest way back to 8-10 wins. In the meantime we're scouring the JUCO ranks for talent...

Most followed Prime. Had little to do with the OC.

EdwardDrayton
10-14-2023, 12:50 PM
4th round by who?

Sawyer Robertson 4th round? Now that's just plain funny. He's not even Mr Irrelevant.

KB21
10-14-2023, 03:32 PM
Love Washington?s offense. Ryan Grubb is older than what I would prefer, but he needs consideration.