PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note I heard regarding our recruiting

Coach34
10-10-2023, 01:34 PM
55% of our signees since 2019 are no longer on the team. That?s a disturbing number and makes sense when you look at us defensively

Jarius
10-10-2023, 01:35 PM
That is the portal era. You've got to adapt. Kids are going to leave. You better be able to use the portal to your advantage. OM has had a much higher turnover than that and they aren't good on defense either but they are winning.

confucius say
10-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Steve said this. But he said 55% of high school signees.
But we're not alone in that.

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2023, 02:00 PM
And, if I understand Bart and Charlie correctly, the position coaches are now determining who they want to offer, not the recruiting staffers. This is a change from the last 3-4 years.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 02:05 PM
Liked a lot that Leach did with the program but there was one staffer I wished he left at WSU. He had a heavy hand in recruiting.

confucius say
10-10-2023, 02:08 PM
And, if I understand Bart and Charlie correctly, the position coaches are now determining who they want to offer, not the recruiting staffers. This is a change from the last 3-4 years.

Yes. Dudek is no longer making offer decisions

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 02:08 PM

Yeah bc emerick and Dudek were morons. And Leach gave them FULL authority to do whatever they wanted. Dudek had it where we couldn't offer a player until they had a power 5 offer. Had that been in place we would never have gotten Chris Jones. Just not good at what they do. Period.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Yeah bc emerick and Dudek were morons. And Leach gave them FULL authority to do whatever they wanted. Dudek had it where we couldn't offer a player until they had a power 5 offer. Had that been in place we would never have gotten Chris Jones. Just not good at what they do. Period.

Yeah- def one area Leach did not do well in while at State

Cooterpoot
10-10-2023, 02:22 PM
KB's guy oversaw the dismantling of our roster. I don't think some realize how far it's fallen. It's completely lacking in Several areas.

Cowbell
10-10-2023, 02:33 PM
And this is why everyone needs to shut up about firing anyone and give CZA time to build his program. This board has become unreadable due to the amount of ignorance.

DawgFromOxford
10-10-2023, 02:46 PM
55% of our signees since 2019 are no longer on the team. That?s a disturbing number and makes sense when you look at us defensively

I'd be curious to know how this compares to other teams, specifically in the SEC

sandjunky
10-10-2023, 02:47 PM
Steve said this. But he said 55% of high school signees.
But we're not alone in that.
Doesn?t surprise me and nope we?re not / gotta go where you will play

Mid major this week pulled every 2024s scholarship in baseball- using those funds for portal

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 02:48 PM
And this is why everyone needs to shut up about firing anyone and give CZA time to build his program. This board has become unreadable due to the amount of ignorance.

I'm fine w differing opinions. Even when different from mine. But coming here to read the exact same thing over and over from 2/3 people makes it not fun to even come read.

DawgFromOxford
10-10-2023, 02:53 PM

Cold take. In todays Portal era, it takes 1 offseason, 2 at most to have athletes in place to fit the program you are trying to build/run. Arnett and team whiffed on the portal 1st go around. Not to mention Arnett has been on staff since 2020 so it's not like he had nothing to do with the players that left.

I like Arnett and hope he figures it out, but fact is he stepped into a tough situation and hasn't produced inspiring results.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2023, 03:04 PM

Yep, 100%.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2023, 03:06 PM

Amen to this! Difference of opinion is fine but the same threads have been rehashed over and over and over, ad nauseum. I think we all get it by now.

Cooterpoot
10-10-2023, 03:11 PM

Shut up...Arnett was involved in that too. He returned 14 starters and his team is terrible. He's got 6 games left to find a way or he hits the road. Put his buddy at DC too and is now having to chew on him half the game. Hes near the bottom in recruiting now too and Leach isn't here to catch the blame for that.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 03:19 PM
Shut up...Arnett was involved in that too. He returned 14 starters and his team is terrible. He's got 6 games left to find a way or he hits the road.

Another hot seat article where he's listed on there from ESPN today. That's 2 in a week. That's not a coincidence.

KB21
10-10-2023, 03:22 PM
Got to love how Dave Emerick is a moron, yet he?s now the GM of the USC football program while we have a knuckle dragging mouth breather acting as the GM of our football program.

Churchill
10-10-2023, 03:24 PM
What's the normal attrition rate ?

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 03:33 PM
Got to love how Dave Emerick is a moron, yet he?s now the GM of the USC football program while we have a knuckle dragging mouth breather acting as the GM of our football program.

Pulled the wool over not one but 2 peoples eyes then.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-10-2023, 03:47 PM
No excuse...it's happening to every team

RezDog7
10-10-2023, 03:54 PM

Their defense is trash too.

KB21
10-10-2023, 04:13 PM
Their defense is trash too.

6-0, best offense in the country (Air Raid), best offensive mind in college football (Lincoln Riley).

Churchill
10-10-2023, 04:16 PM
Have knowing but I would bet that's not far off from the average.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 04:20 PM
6-0, best offense in the country (Air Raid), best offensive mind in college football (Lincoln Riley).

Completely off topic of what you responded to. 79th in defense. He only mentioned the defense.

parabrave
10-10-2023, 04:33 PM
Don't forget that USC NIL is vastly greater than probably 90% of the entire NCAA. And they should've lost to Arizona!!

Santiago
10-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Perspective here.... but didn't we lose guys right out of the gate when Leach came in and quit babying them like Moorhead?
Also, we can look back in the Dan days, and we lost quite a bit of signees also in some years.
Not really sure what this post is about since the DC is now the HC and it is his defense that may be lacking.....not Leach's offense.

Cooterpoot
10-10-2023, 05:03 PM
We lost like 5 guys that would play much.

StarkVegasSteve
10-10-2023, 05:43 PM
What's the normal attrition rate ?

In the portal era it is about what we are at. The problem is that the ones we kept are not very good. And in our case, the ones that left were not very good either, outside of a few exceptions.

StarkVegasSteve
10-10-2023, 05:45 PM
Don't forget that USC NIL is vastly greater than probably 90% of the entire NCAA. And they should've lost to Arizona!!

That is because Lincoln Riley still has not figured out that you have to prioritize defense as well to win big. It was the same problem he had at OU. Our defensive numbers and their defensive numbers are very comparable.

EdwardDrayton
10-10-2023, 06:32 PM

Yeah. You're the beacon of light in the darkness. :)

BankerDog
10-10-2023, 06:40 PM

KB-you have some decent takes, but to be fair here..Riley still doesn?t have a defense and will ultimately never win because he doesn?t believe in defense. Secondly, Emerick screwed us with Lawrence Hopkins because of Emerick?s handling of Tidwell. And if you guys don?t know who Lawrence is, you need to do some research.

BankerDog
10-10-2023, 06:41 PM
In the portal era it is about what we are at. The problem is that the ones we kept are not very good. And in our case, the ones that left were not very good either, outside of a few exceptions.

And the ones we brought in have all been missed except I think Albert has potential as well as Lee.

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 06:42 PM
There are numerous stories of dumb crap Emerick did while here. Then we doubled down w Dudek. Who was as bad or worse.

BankerDog
10-10-2023, 06:45 PM
There are numerous stories of dumb crap Emerick did while here. Then we doubled down w Dudek. Who was as bad or worse.

Dudek was a tool although he tweeted some funny stuff. There was a reason Harbough pushed him out..

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 06:46 PM
Dudek was a tool although he tweeted some funny stuff. There was a reason Harbough pushed him out..

Tool is being kind

Maroonthirteen
10-10-2023, 06:48 PM
Not to pick on the guy...but one story from the 2020 class. Moorhead came by the high school all the time to see this football player. I went to a game just to see what the kid was all about. Dude wasn't even the best player on his side of the ball. There was two or three better.

Btw, I saw this signees team play Oxford. Oxford had Pegues :... oh my. Man among boys. Also Oxfords QB that night, that signed with Navy but hasn't seen the field, was much better than our signee.

TL/DR: some college coaches are lazy recruiters.

schddog72
10-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Another hot seat article where he's listed on there from ESPN today. That's 2 in a week. That's not a coincidence.

What was the first one; where did it come from?

StarkVegasSteve
10-10-2023, 07:23 PM
What was the first one; where did it come from?

Andy Staples with On3

Cowbell
10-10-2023, 08:23 PM
I'm fine w differing opinions. Even when different from mine. But coming here to read the exact same thing over and over from 2/3 people makes it not fun to even come read.

Especially when none of them want to reason or include proper context.

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 08:24 PM
Not to pick on the guy...but one story from the 2020 class. Moorhead came by the high school all the time to see this football player. I went to a game just to see what the kid was all about. Dude wasn't even the best player on his side of the ball. There was two or three better.

Btw, I saw this signees team play Oxford. Oxford had Pegues :... oh my. Man among boys. Also Oxfords QB that night, that signed with Navy but hasn't seen the field, was much better than our signee.

TL/DR: some college coaches are lazy recruiters.

Moorhead followed recruiting rankings to the nth degree. Don't think he even evaluated guys. Thus you end up w king ani. Who was trash. How anyone ever gave that guy 3 stars much less 4 is beyond me.

Cowbell
10-10-2023, 08:26 PM
Moorhead followed recruiting rankings to the nth degree. Don't think he even evaluated guys. Thus you end up w king ani. Who was trash. How anyone ever gave that guy 3 stars much less 4 is beyond me.
Where is he now

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 08:27 PM
Where is he now

Stinking it up as HC at Akron. Big time

Coach34
10-10-2023, 08:44 PM
Have knowing but I would bet that's not far off from the average.

actually no- it would be 13th in the SEC

confucius say
10-10-2023, 10:01 PM

Dudek was worse imo

I guarantee you emerick isn't telling Riley and usc coaches who will be offered and who won't be.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2023, 01:34 AM
Dudek was worse imo

I guarantee you emerick isn't telling Riley and usc coaches who will be offered and who won't be.

I don't know, USC is pretty bad outside the transfer QB that moved there with his coach. The defense is horrible.