PDA

View Full Version : Arnett Hires Jimmy Sexton?

gtowndawg
10-09-2023, 11:01 AM
That's the rumor but I have no idea if true. If it is, some seem to think that's bad for us. But if we have a contract already, why would it matter if he has new representation? If our new AD renegotiates a contract after this season with Arnett, I can assure you Sexton will take him to the woodshed, so yes, in that scenario that would be bad.

But back to my original question, if we have a contract in place, and we retain Arnett but do not extend the contract what does it matter if Sexton represents him now?

Is this simply a rumor?? Or, is it a sign he needs representation because he suspects he will be looking after this season??

I'll hang up and listen.

HancockCountyDog
10-09-2023, 11:04 AM
If you are a HC in the SEC, you should hire Sexton.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 11:05 AM
That's the rumor but I have no idea if true. If it is, some seem to think that's bad for us. But if we have a contract already, why would it matter if he has new representation? If our new AD renegotiates a contract after this season with Arnett, I can assure you Sexton will take him to the woodshed, so yes, in that scenario that would be bad.

But back to my original question, if we have a contract in place, and we retain Arnett but do not extend the contract what does it matter if Sexton represents him now?

Is this simply a rumor?? Or, is it a sign he needs representation because he suspects he will be looking after this season??

I'll hang up and listen.

It's fact confirmed by MSU writers.

What matters is Sexton is known for getting the most for the people he represents. If we are determined to keep Arnett, we will not have an easy out. Sexton will make sure of that.

Right now, at the end of the season, we are on the hook for 50% of his contract. That's 4.5 million and it's not all paid up front either.

gtowndawg
10-09-2023, 11:07 AM

What matters is Sexton is known for getting the most for the people he represents. If we are determined to keep Arnett, we will not have an easy out. Sexton will make sure of that.

Right now, at the end of the season, we are on the hook for 50% of his contract. That's 4.5 million and it's not all paid up front either.

Thanks for confirming it is a fact. I agree Sexton will leverage the situation for his client (his job) which means we have even more incentive to move on after this season while we can get out relatively unscathed.

Churchill
10-09-2023, 11:08 AM

It'll cost us a lot more than that if we keep him.

Maverick91
10-09-2023, 11:11 AM
I feel like if our AD is smart Arnett just put the final nail in his coffin. I would not want to negotiate with Sexton, then again I feel like Sexton represents EVERY coach in college football.

gtowndawg
10-09-2023, 11:14 AM
Now that I think about this more it might be great news. If we let Arnett go, Sexton will get Arnett a good DC job somewhere approaching the million a year mark (my guess based on recent deals). We subtract that $750,000 (to a million) from the buyout which is only 4.5 million spread out over several years. We could get out of this mess, and it only cost us a couple of million spread out over the years. That's a no brainer guys.

DownwardDawg
10-09-2023, 11:25 AM
This is great news for us! He gone!!!!
This means Arnett just put the final nail in place and handed the hammer to Selmon. This is an easy contract to get out of. Not the case once Sexton gets involved with Arnett's next job.

DownwardDawg
10-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Now that I think about this more it might be great news. If we let Arnett go, Sexton will get Arnett a good DC job somewhere approaching the million a year mark (my guess based on recent deals). We subtract that $750,000 (to a million) from the buyout which is only 4.5 million spread out over several years. We could get out of this mess, and it only cost us a couple of million spread out over the years. That's a no brainer guys.

This

CaptainObvious
10-09-2023, 11:31 AM
Any chance Keenum set incentives up for Arnett to retain the job after this year since he was a quick fix to a tragic situation?

Biguglyjoe
10-09-2023, 11:33 AM
Smart move by Arnett. He will have a lot of interest from schools looking for a DC.

DownwardDawg
10-09-2023, 11:34 AM
Smart move by Arnett. He will have a lot of interest from schools looking for a DC.

Yep. He'll get a good check from MSU and a really good paying DC job. He'll be fine.

Bye

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 11:41 AM

It would be around 100K per year.

4.5 - 1 per year over 4 years leave 500K owed

gtowndawg
10-09-2023, 01:43 PM

Totally agree because he is a good DC. The coaching world understands he was thrust into a situation before he was ready due Coach Leach passing away. I think we could both come out of this situation just fine.

edited to say: I appreciate Coach Arnett, he did a great job as DC and brought a lot of passion to that side of the ball. He just wasn't ready for such a massive jump in duties (essentially) overnight.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 02:53 PM

Naw we hedged our bets

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 02:59 PM
Totally agree because he is a good DC. The coaching world understands he was thrust into a situation before he was ready due Coach Leach passing away. I think we could both come out of this situation just fine.

edited to say: I appreciate Coach Arnett, he did a great job as DC and brought a lot of passion to that side of the ball. He just wasn't ready for such a massive jump in duties (essentially) overnight.

LSU on line one...

Our program needs a massive reboot. Arnett and this group aren't really part of that. This group may have "fit" MSU 20 years ago but not anymore.

MSU needs to enhance everything- the product on the field needs to be better and more exciting. It's embarrassing as hell to watch our coach take advice from a high school coach. We need to invest in and increase our recruiting efforts- both at the high school level and also in the portal. Which goes back to making sure we continue to grow our NIL and the Bulldog Initiative. And that also includes enhancing our game day experience and our branding- hopefully switching back to the interlocking MSU and uniforms like we plan on wearing for the Kentucky game from here on out.

gtowndawg
10-09-2023, 03:04 PM
LSU on line one...

Our program needs a massive reboot. Arnett and this group aren't really part of that. This group may have "fit" MSU 20 years ago but not anymore.

MSU needs to enhance everything- the product on the field needs to be better and more exciting. It's embarrassing as hell to watch our coach take advice from a high school coach. We need to invest in and increase our recruiting efforts- both at the high school level and also in the portal. Which goes back to making sure we continue to grow our NIL and the Bulldog Initiative. And that also includes enhancing our game day experience and our branding- hopefully switching back to the interlocking MSU and uniforms like we plan on wearing for the Kentucky game from here on out.

I give to the NIL and no longer give to the Bulldog Club. It's not much but it's the world we live in. But I feel like there's an internal struggle there as well. I mean we have Bulldog Club painted in the endzones? We've never done that, why now? Is the Bulldog Club's feelings hurt that the NIL gets pushed some? I don't know, I just found it odd it's in the end zones. As you said Todd, we want to hang onto the old way of doing things instead of embracing change (whether we like it or agree with it doesn't matter). We have to adapt in just about every way at this point.