PDA

View Full Version : Guess we Fixen to get our wish?

TNDawg35
10-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Rumblings on Twitter is Rogers is out 4-6 wks and Parson had hand surgery and isn?t ready yet. Looks like IF it is true, we Fixen to see plenty of Mike Wright?

Really Clark?
10-08-2023, 04:51 PM
Rumblings on Twitter is Rogers is out 4-6 wks and Parson had hand surgery and isn?t ready yet. Looks like IF it is true, we Fixen to see plenty of Mike Wright?

Parson was throwing in pregame yesterday

msstate7
10-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Feel bad for Rogers... Lord knows I've never been a huge fan of his game, but he fit well with the previous coach. And through no fault of his own, he loses his coach. Sorta fitz 2.0

Goldendawg
10-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Feel bad for Rogers... Lord knows I've never been a huge fan of his game, but he fit well with the previous coach. And through no fault of his own, he loses his coach. Sorta fitz 2.0

Same here. New staff trying to force him and many others into an offense they can't run. Hope he has a speedy recovery if this true.

Maverick91
10-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Wish for a speedy recovery.

This could be good or bad, could be good because we now get to see how ingenuous Barbay is with two weeks to prep to build an offense around Wright, could work really well.

The bad thing is if we keep looking like we aren’t anything the staff has a pretty big excuse to use and that is they lost their QB that was the best option for us to succeed.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2023, 05:15 PM
Don't believe everything you see on Twitter.

KOdawg1
10-08-2023, 05:19 PM
We'll see if that's true or not, but I don't wish injury on anyone.

I don't think he's any good, but I don't want the guy to be hurt.

WSOPdawg
10-08-2023, 05:33 PM

Twitter from who? Because if true, why does the staff let this info out to help Arky? Why would a player tweet this to again help Arky? Why not keep this internal as long as possible (if true)?

Goldendawg
10-08-2023, 05:53 PM
Arkansas has now lost four in a row I think. We are now a bigger possible win for them at their place. Would still be a big upset for us to beat them on the road at this point.

BlackSailsDawg
10-08-2023, 06:00 PM
I don;t believe this is accurate.

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 06:30 PM
We'll see. Didn't seem that bothered yesterday. Interweb lies a lot!!

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 06:33 PM
Somebody here knows. How long is he projected to be out?

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2023, 06:35 PM
Naw some of our folks have already gotten their wish. Not how it happened obviously but the result was what they have wanted since 2020

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 06:41 PM
If we burn Parson's redshirt on this season I'm going to be pissed. That's almost as bad as making Omarr Conner play some snaps at WR in 2003.

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Naw some of our folks have already gotten their wish. Not how it happened obviously but the result was what they have wanted since 2020

And you've had this post written that long ago too and have been waiting to use it .....

CaptainObvious
10-08-2023, 06:59 PM
If we burn Parson's redshirt on this season I'm going to be pissed. That's almost as bad as making Omarr Conner play some snaps at WR in 2003.

This is the era or error of the NIL. If he is available and healthy, you unwrap him. He may only be here 1 year, maybe 2. If Wright gets the starter nod next year Parson will be gone.

But?.. don?t forget the elephant in the room.

If Rogers truly is out 4-6 weeks, and we know he isn?t likely to get drafted, he could actually return for his 5th season next year.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 07:14 PM
This is the era or error of the NIL. If he is available and healthy, you unwrap him. He may only be here 1 year, maybe 2. If Wright gets the starter nod next year Parson will be gone.

If Rogers truly is out 4-6 weeks, and we know he isn?t likely to get drafted, he could actually return for his 5th season next year.

He'll be here for five years. QB's are different animals. They understand that they have to develop.

BlackSailsDawg
10-08-2023, 07:15 PM

Rogers will take money to go else where.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 07:16 PM

Might depend on the coaching situation.

lastmajordog
10-08-2023, 07:30 PM

omar had outstanding potential......

99jc
10-08-2023, 07:42 PM

We can play him 4 games without burning redshirt

Bothrops
10-08-2023, 07:50 PM

That'd be best for him and us.

CaptainObvious
10-08-2023, 08:05 PM

Are you suggesting State Fans will give Rogers NIL to go play for another team? 😳😳

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 08:06 PM
We can play him 4 games without burning redshirt

If we do that it's different. But right now we have six games left.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 08:07 PM
omar had outstanding potential......
He did. He should have been our QB in 2007.

He was better than Henig.

msstate7
10-08-2023, 08:41 PM
If we do that it's different. But right now we have six games left.

This is the portal age. What's the chance he sits here 5 years? If he's better than wright, play him

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 08:43 PM
This is the portal age. What's the chance he sits here 5 years? If he's better than wright, play him

This. It's a business now.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 08:59 PM

Sits here five years? I think he is the primary back up next year and starts in 2025-2027.

Some position groups still need to develop in the portal age- like o-line and QB.

RezDog7
10-08-2023, 09:07 PM

Now I know you're a troll. Somebody giving him bed bath and beyond coupons.

Coach34
10-08-2023, 09:10 PM
I'll be extremely surprised if 2 is our QB in 2024

MaroonFlounder
10-08-2023, 09:17 PM

He?ll transfer anyway

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2023, 09:18 PM
Now I know you're a troll. Somebody giving him bed bath and beyond coupons.

He gave up money for our recently suspended WR to stay. Yall have no clue

MaroonFlounder
10-08-2023, 09:21 PM
He gave up money for our recently suspended WR to stay. Yall have no clue

Is Will Rogers injury significant or not?

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2023, 09:22 PM
Is Will Rogers injury significant or not?

Not my business to tell but he wont be out 4-6 weeks or whatever was said

Coach34
10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
It's his other shoulder. I would be surprised if he misses a game

Cooterpoot
10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
He?ll transfer anyway

Doubtful

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 09:54 PM
He did. He should have been our QB in 2007.

He was better than Henig.

Would have been incredible in Mullen's system.

Dawgology
10-09-2023, 12:24 AM
Rogers is fine. Little banged up but back for our next game in 2 weeks

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 06:39 AM
Rogers is fine. Little banged up but back for our next game in 2 weeks

Doubt t

Santiago
10-09-2023, 07:52 AM
One thing about Rogers, he would give up an injury to win or whatever it takes for the team. Admire the guy and all he has done. The kid works his tail off.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 08:18 AM
That'd be best for him and us.

No, what's best for us is a new staff. Only MSU fans would suggest that their record breaking QB that gave up money to keep our WR should be sent packing rather than asking what happened.

CadaverDawg
10-09-2023, 08:35 AM
No, what's best for us is a new staff. Only MSU fans would suggest that their record breaking QB that gave up money to keep our WR should be sent packing rather than asking what happened.

Will Rogers isnt Jesus. He's not bigger than the program. How long are we going to let this system QB hold our football program hostage? He is a GREAT guy, and a hard worker, and a team 1st guy....and that is all extremely honorable. I respect the hell out of Will.

BUT.....none of that guarantees you a starting QB job in the SEC. And sure as hell doesn't earn you the right of having a coaching staff in the SEC hand picked to cater to your talents that at best will be here 1 more year.

I agree Arnett and company are horrible, and unlikely to turn it around. But you Rogers/Air Raid guys have completely lost your minds on this issue. Wanting to find the second coming of Leach just so Will's dream can stay alive? Gotta admit, you're good family members to the kid.

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Will Rogers isnt Jesus. He's not bigger than the program. How long are we going to let this system QB hold our football program hostage? He is a GREAT guy, and a hard worker, and a team 1st guy....and that is all extremely honorable. I respect the hell out of Will.

BUT.....none of that guarantees you a starting QB job in the SEC. And sure as hell doesn't earn you the right of having a coaching staff in the SEC hand picked to cater to your talents that at best will be here 1 more year.

I agree Arnett and company are horrible, and unlikely to turn it around. But you Rogers/Air Raid guys have completely lost your minds on this issue. Wanting to find the second coming of Leach just so Will's dream can stay alive? Gotta admit, you're good family members to the kid.

Will is pretty good overall in the right scheme.

I love how the RTDF people are always wanting us to adapt to our personnel. Except when it was involves passing more.

RezDog7
10-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Will is pretty good overall in the right scheme.

I love how the RTDF people are always wanting us to adapt to our personnel. Except when it was involves passing more.

We need to find something in the middle. I loved watching us throw and catch the ball with Leach. The dump offs to the RB's was more about the QB than the coach. I believe Leach was working on running more and changing to a mobile QB. Unfortunately, we will never know. We need to make a change after this season but I actually like what I'm seeing from Barbay. Scheme works. Just need a mobile QB.

Dawgology
10-09-2023, 09:00 AM

I guess you could call me an “air raid guy” that hopes for more designed runs to be folded into the scheme with a mobile QB. In an era where the NIL puts us that much further behind in talent the air raid helped us even the playing field some and mask those issues. It’s an easy system to scheme defensively against but a hard system for players to execute that scheme against (if that makes sense). I believe it gave us the best chance to win almost any game we played as it will be very f difficult for us to line up against most SEC teams now and play old school smash mouth football. It was working as evidence by the increasing win totals each year. But…I guess the purse holders (much like bad coaches) would rather us lose their way than win in a new way.

Santiago
10-09-2023, 09:00 AM
We need to find something in the middle. I loved watching us throw and catch the ball with Leach. The dump offs to the RB's was more about the QB than the coach. I believe Leach was working on running more and changing to a mobile QB. Unfortunately, we will never know. We need to make a change after this season but I actually like what I'm seeing from Barbay. Scheme works. Just need a mobile QB.

Modified air raid, with H backs is good.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 09:14 AM

That is truly a sad take. What earns him the right to start in the SEC is being the best QB on the Roster. Only shortsightedness would suggest that we do not hire a staff that knows the system that this vet team has been in.

Just a horrible take to suggest that it's loyalty to a player or a coach. This is about building on success and giving this year's team a fighting chance to win. This is about stating facts. The fact is he is the best we have. Like it or not. That's just your excuse.

CaptainObvious
10-09-2023, 09:22 AM
I don?t think it was a horrible take. I agree that Will is the best QB on roster to run the Air Raid. Like it or not, the Air Raid got scuttled and is lying at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

So we really don?t know who the best QB to run Barbary?s offense is because we haven?t seen enough of anyone else to know. To that end, you cannot know for sure if Will is the starter by default rather than by performance against live enemy fire.

CaptainObvious
10-09-2023, 09:27 AM
To follow up, look what happened when Will tried to run the read option up the middle. Not only did it not work, he got injured. He is and will forever be a system QB. He is a stand and deliver guy. He needs highly intelligent, 2 to 3 year developed Olinemen and WR who understand open grass and not trying to out run or out maneuver DBs. We need a guy in this style O that can get creative when protection breaks down and WR who understand the scramble drill and find the open spot.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 09:40 AM
I don?t think it was a horrible take. I agree that Will is the best QB on roster to run the Air Raid. Like it or not, the Air Raid got scuttled and is lying at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

So we really don?t know who the best QB to run Barbary?s offense is because we haven?t seen enough of anyone else to know. To that end, you cannot know for sure if Will is the starter by default rather than by performance against live enemy fire.

No, he's the best we have now. Are you suggesting that the staff is too incompetent to be the judge in practice? Really?

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 09:46 AM
To follow up, look what happened when Will tried to run the read option up the middle. Not only did it not work, he got injured. He is and will forever be a system QB. He is a stand and deliver guy. He needs highly intelligent, 2 to 3 year developed Olinemen and WR who understand open grass and not trying to out run or out maneuver DBs. We need a guy in this style O that can get creative when protection breaks down and WR who understand the scramble drill and find the open spot.

Dude, he rushed 2 times vs Bama. One on a 3 and 11 (due to poor play calling) and he got the first down and it was up the middle. The 2nd was a rush for 15 yards on another behind the chains 2nd and 11.

Activated Alpha
10-09-2023, 09:46 AM
No, he's the best we have now. Are you suggesting that the staff is too incompetent to be the judge in practice? Really?

I believe there is a lot of incompetence on our football staff

Really Clark?
10-09-2023, 09:49 AM

Well hell, you have been posting 1000's of times a day about the staff's incompetence. You would by far be the most inconsistent with this stance.

Coach34
10-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Dude, he rushed 2 times vs Bama. One on a 3 and 11 (due to poor play calling) and he got the first down and it was up the middle. The 2nd was a rush for 15 yards on another behind the chains 2nd and 11.

the designed QB draw that he got 15 yards on was a really good playcall vs Bama's D

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 10:08 AM
the designed QB draw that he got 15 yards on was a really good playcall vs Bama's D

It was the calls that put us behind the chains that were horrible.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Nah dude youre just wrong. And about to find out how wrong youve been because Will is probably done

Tater
10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Doubt t

I've heard it's the same injury another QB had here that played the 4th Q and OT of a game two weeks later.

Is the scenario where he's the emergency 3rd string QB and active, but we're sitting him out of caution available? That's what I've heard but also this feels more tight lipped and speculation.

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 01:19 PM

I agree. That's why I like what Texas State does and their coach so much. His passing game is based off of the Leach Air Raid but is more vertical with some Briles type concepts. But the run game is based off of Chip Kelly and Gus Mahlzahn. And as you might imagine there is a lot of tempo. Along with mobile QB's.

If our fans can't agree among those four coaches rolled into one I'm not sure if anything will make our fans happy.

The scheme isn't Barbay's problem. The problem is he meh as a play caller and he can't adapt it to our personnel like he said he could.

NCDawg
10-09-2023, 01:32 PM
We should have never changed from the Air raid in my opinion. We don't have the athletes to run what we are trying to run now. The Air Raid gave us a chance to be competitive. On the other hand, when you have a porous and slow defense such as ours, you're not going to win much anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 02:51 PM
I've heard it's the same injury another QB had here that played the 4th Q and OT of a game two weeks later.

Is the scenario where he's the emergency 3rd string QB and active, but we're sitting him out of caution available? That's what I've heard but also this feels more tight lipped and speculation.

No its not that

Leroy Jenkins
10-09-2023, 03:43 PM

It sure looked like the type of landing that causes an AC Joint sprain. Its possible to shoot that up and play with it, if that is the problem.

C&DDAWG32
10-09-2023, 03:50 PM
IMO, Wright doesn't help us win any more than Will does at this point and it's neither of their faults. We are bad at too many spots. It seems silly to even argue at this point. Johnny Manziel couldn't win with what we have lol.

KOdawg1
10-09-2023, 04:07 PM
Nah dude youre just wrong. And about to find out how wrong youve been because Will is probably done

What are you gonna post about if you can't defend Will anymore?

bulldawg28
10-09-2023, 04:20 PM
No its not that

I guess he broke his collarbone.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Anybody got news on Parson?

Dawgface
10-09-2023, 04:25 PM
As much as Will has played and been sacked I'm surprised he hasn't had an injury until now. Hope he makes it back this year.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 05:49 PM
What are you gonna post about if you can't defend Will anymore?

Ill find something else to argue with you about

Percho
10-09-2023, 09:47 PM
That is truly a sad take. What earns him the right to start in the SEC is being the best QB on the Roster. Only shortsightedness would suggest that we do not hire a staff that knows the system that this vet team has been in.

Just a horrible take to suggest that it's loyalty to a player or a coach. This is about building on success and giving this year's team a fighting chance to win. This is about stating facts. The fact is he is the best we have. Like it or not. That's just your excuse.

I am undecided but would like to ask you to name say three coaches you would have tried to hire? I also liked the air raid and believe long term Coach Leach would have been a success at MSU.

KOdawg1
10-09-2023, 09:50 PM
Ill find something else to argue with you about
We typically agree on everything except Will

Percho
10-09-2023, 09:53 PM

Makes be think of one of my favorite of all time. Fran Tarkenton

CadaverDawg
10-09-2023, 10:43 PM
If a modified air raid helps us move the football better than Leach's version that DID NOT move the football well at all....I'm all for it. I don't care if we run, pass, or mix it up....I just want a better offense than Leach's or this crap we have right now. Most importantly, I want to win. Don't care what offense leads to the wins...just win.

One thing can't be argued though.....The one constant in both subpar offenses is the QB.

Lord McBuckethead
10-10-2023, 08:26 AM

Three immediate thoughts about this.
1. NIL and free transfer, no reason to ever redshirt someone.
2. Parson playing is better for our future.
3. They get 4 games to play, correct?

Lord McBuckethead
10-10-2023, 08:29 AM
If a modified air raid helps us move the football better than Leach's version that DID NOT move the football well at all....I'm all for it. I don't care if we run, pass, or mix it up....I just want a better offense than Leach's or this crap we have right now. Most importantly, I want to win. Don't care what offense leads to the wins...just win.

One thing can't be argued though.....The one constant in both subpar offenses is the QB.

Here is the thing. I want an offense that make defenses have to constantly adjust. Nothing I have seen since the LSU game at the beginning of Leach's tenure has done this in any game. The drop 8 basically killed Leach's offense. Now, we are not forcing the other team to do anything extraordinary to shut us down. Our defense gets torched every time a LB is forced to cover or a safety is forced to cover a WR. We rarely have these advantages with our offense.

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 09:00 AM

Now we agree

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 09:02 AM
Here is the thing. I want an offense that make defenses have to constantly adjust. Nothing I have seen since the LSU game at the beginning of Leach's tenure has done this in any game. The drop 8 basically killed Leach's offense. Now, we are not forcing the other team to do anything extraordinary to shut us down. Our defense gets torched every time a LB is forced to cover or a safety is forced to cover a WR. We rarely have these advantages with our offense.

Leach did not run a modified AR system. And no, our current is set on running more 12 than 10 personnel pulling 2 WRs off the field to play TEs that we do not have.

BuckyIsAB****
10-10-2023, 09:57 AM
We typically agree on everything except Will

I know we are all good man I was just carrying on

confucius say
10-10-2023, 10:24 AM

I didn't love leach's offense. But to say it didn't move the ball well at all is not true. We were middle of the league in offense despite being the least talented team in every league game we played. It was a mediocre offense.

Agree with everything else.

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2023, 10:28 AM
I just hope that Will can play the rest of the season. No rational MSU fan actually wanted him to get hurt, and I would think everyone realizes that he gives us the best chance to win games after watching Wright throw the ball this past weekend.

Has there been any final word? I've heard "he is playing against the Hogs" to "he is most likely done for the season". That is a massive range of possibilities.

Coach34
10-10-2023, 10:34 AM
I just hope that Will can play the rest of the season. No rational MSU fan actually wanted him to get hurt, and I would think everyone realizes that he gives us the best chance to win games after watching Wright throw the ball this past weekend.

Has there been any final word? I've heard "he is playing against the Hogs" to "he is most likely done for the season". That is a massive range of possibilities.

Coaching staff doesnt want anything to get out before UPig. Make them have to prepare for both

KB21
10-10-2023, 11:35 AM
I didn't love leach's offense. But to say it didn't move the ball well at all is not true. We were middle of the league in offense despite being the least talented team in every league game we played. It was a mediocre offense.

I love everything about the Air Raid. I love the practice philosophy. I love the route combinations and play designs. I loved Leach?s play calling. I love how it de-emphasized the run game.

Really Clark?
10-10-2023, 11:37 AM
I love everything about the Air Raid. I love the practice philosophy. I love the route combinations and play designs. I loved Leach?s play calling. I love how it de-emphasized the run game.

I would've never guessed.***

R2Dawg
10-10-2023, 11:53 AM
Three immediate thoughts about this.
1. NIL and free transfer, no reason to ever redshirt someone.
2. Parson playing is better for our future.
3. They get 4 games to play, correct?

Agree, this must be adjusted with current rules. This is something that Leach was the worst at. Leave starters in decided game the whole game, never got backups any reps. No reason not to give some reps to some guys.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2023, 11:57 AM

In other words, "we're going to act like y'all were all saying Mike Wright is a better QB than Rogers just like we lie about y'all saying you wanted to Fire Leach and hire Arnett".....right? Whatever makes Will look better....screw State, just protect Will. You're pathetic.

Nobody thinks Wright is a great QB. Just like nobody wanted Arnett over Leach. But by all means, y'all keep spinning it to make things better at the Rogers family barbecue after the season.

R2Dawg
10-10-2023, 12:22 PM
In other words, "we're going to act like y'all were all saying Mike Wright is a better QB than Rogers just like we lie about y'all saying you wanted to Fire Leach and hire Arnett".....right? Whatever makes Will look better....screw State, just protect Will. You're pathetic.

Nobody thinks Wright is a great QB. Just like nobody wanted Arnett over Leach. But by all means, y'all keep spinning it to make things better at the Rogers family barbecue after the season.

Some had rather see MSU fail if their guy isn't doing it just to say see told you. That is not the definition of a fan of anything other than said player or coach, not an MSU fan. You can still have a favorite, that is OK but we got many that don't know where to draw the line. It is called Pride.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Some had rather see MSU fail if their guy isn't doing it just to say see told you. That is not the definition of a fan of anything other than said player or coach, not an MSU fan. You can still have a favorite, that is OK but we got many that don't know where to draw the line. It is called Pride.

100%

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2023, 12:49 PM
Arnett stated last night the Rogers and Marks are day to day.

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Arnett stated last night the Rogers and Marks are day to day.

He would say that if they had body parts in casts.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 01:20 PM

That's exactly what they are going to do. This coaching staff and Leach are at fault for horrendous quarterback recruiting for the past 3 years. Will didn't offer himself a scholarship and Will didn't fail to upgrade the quarterback room. That's on the coaches. Doesn't make his play any less terrible, but him being the best option isn't his fault. Now his family coming on here and denying that he is playing bad and creating 15 message board usernames on 3 different sites to chastize anyone who points out his obvious horrible play is weird as shit. Also them acting like "we are about to see" as if we weren't about to go 4-8 with or without him at quarterback is hilarious. The guy who has shit the bed for 2 years is going to show us how good we had it.

TrapGame
10-10-2023, 01:30 PM
That's exactly what they are going to do. This coaching staff and Leach are at fault for horrendous quarterback recruiting for the past 3 years. Will didn't offer himself a scholarship and Will didn't fail to upgrade the quarterback room. That's on the coaches. Doesn't make his play any less terrible, but him being the best option isn't his fault. Now his family coming on here and denying that he is playing bad and creating 15 message board usernames on 3 different sites to chastize anyone who points out his obvious horrible play is weird as shit. Also them acting like "we are about to see" as if we weren't about to go 4-8 with or without him at quarterback is hilarious. The guy who has shit the bed for 2 years is going to show us how good we had it.

And if Mike Wright is the QB from here on out and we somehow finish 6-6 the new narrative they conjure is going to be hilarious.

Prediction? Pain.
10-10-2023, 01:32 PM

Good point. In all this back and forth, people seem to forget that in 2021, the offense worked pretty well. In conference games, we were 4th in total offense and 5th in scoring offense. We've surpassed the total offense rank twice since 2009 and the scoring offense rank once. Likewise, even with his limitations, Will's passer rating rank against SEC teams in 2021 (5th in the SEC) was better than anyone since 2009 other than Dak in '14 and '15. And his passer rating rank in '21 vs. Top 25 teams (4th in the SEC) was actually better than anyone in Mullen's entire tenure. Even's Will's yards-per-attempt, which gets him lambasted regularly, were by MSU standards solid that year -- 9th vs. SEC teams, 7th vs. Top 25 teams, both of which are as good or better than any QB Mullen ever fielded save Dak in 2014 and 2015. (The closest previous year was '12, when as a team our yards-per-attempt ranks wwere 7th vs. SEC teams and 8th vs. Top 25 teams.)

The problem is that Will, though proven and demonstrably capable of operating in the offense, regressed last year, especially against good defenses. I'm not going to pretend that I know why. He'd already seen an entire season and a half of SEC teams' "Drop 8" defenses and had fared well against them overall in '21. Losing Polk from '21 probably hurt a lot. And then there was some OL change. Who knows. Bottom line, yeah, the '22 offense took a step back and that's unfortunately the last taste of Leach's offense that we go to see.

This year's offense has been up and down like last year's, and the stats are similar to maybe a little worse depending on the category. To be expected with a big transition, no doubt. I don't know why we were fed this stuff in the offseason about the "best 11" and retaining the air raid passing elements that we knew how to operate. But here we are. I don't know anything about Will's health, and I hope he's ok. I also don't know how well Wright can operate the current offensive system (whatever that is) compared to Will, but I'm fine with him steering the ship if he's capable.

The question I have is how we're going to fare against more competent defenses. We've faced one legit defense so far. The rest have been either bad or very, very bad. I mean, LSU's, S. Carolina's, and Western Michigan are among the worst in the entire country at giving up TDs per drive and yards-per-possession. (I mean like bottom 20% of the entire country. (Arizona's numbers aren't good either, but their schedule has also been worse so far, so who knows where they stack up.)) Auburn, A&M, and Kentucky are all substantially better on D, and even Arkansas and U. Miss. have better raw numbers than LSU and S. Carolina. I hope stuff starts clicking, whether it's with Rogers, Wright, or both. Because outside of USM, the defenses aren't getting any easiser.

A final thoughts to wrap this ramble up: In 2021 and 2022, Leach led the program to back-to-back .500 seasons in the SEC. That's happened three times at MSU since 2000. Once with best QB in program history at the helm, once with the best defense in the nation and the all-time leading QB rusher in SEC history, and once with Will Rogers, the air raid, and (at least in 2022) a pretty salty defense. I know this won't happen, but I feel like maybe we could just be cool with that, let it lie, and see where we go from here. If we improve, awesome. If we continue the hapless suckitude, hopefully the AD will do whatever it is that needs to be done.

P.S. The closest comparisons to our current defense are Sirmon's D in 2016 and Shoop's bizarrely terrible D in 2019. Those units were outliers among otherwise average-to-very-good-to-elite defenses that we've had since Mullen arrived in 2009. Neither Sirmon nor Shoop was back the next year and both replacements (Grantham and Arnett) improved things immediately. So yeah, if this continues, somethings got to give.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 01:33 PM

Wright graded out higher via PFF than Rogers did last weekend. I would personally like to see Will be the starter and have Wright come in in the redzone and all short yardage situations, but he throws it well enough that he can be used in the passing game at least a little bit. He has won SEC games with Vandy talent around him. He isn't good throwing the football, but he isn't completely inept.

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2023, 03:00 PM
Wright graded out higher via PFF than Rogers did last weekend. I would personally like to see Will be the starter and have Wright come in in the redzone and all short yardage situations, but he throws it well enough that he can be used in the passing game at least a little bit. He has won SEC games with Vandy talent around him. He isn't good throwing the football, but he isn't completely inept.

I don't think he is inept either.

My focus is this season and our ability to get to 6-7 wins. I know that 8-9 wins are off the table, but I don't think we can withstand a 4-8 or 5-7 type season, especially with all the seniors we are going to lose off this team.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2023, 04:06 PM
I don't think he is inept either.

My focus is this season and our ability to get to 6-7 wins. I know that 8-9 wins are off the table, but I don't think we can withstand a 4-8 or 5-7 type season, especially with all the seniors we are going to lose off this team.

I agree with this

Mjoelner34
10-10-2023, 04:31 PM
.....This coaching staff and Leach are at fault for horrendous quarterback recruiting for the past 3 years. ......

I wouldn't necessarily say that. What I would add, and it's by far my biggest gripe against Leach, is that we never had the chance to find out if they were horrendous or not. Getting 2 snaps in the last two minutes of a game when you're up 30pts in the 4th against a cupcake doesn't prove anything. Leach failed to give any meaningful game snaps to every QB we had on the bench. Even with the bitching by some about Will and the worshiping by others, I think we can all agree that we would have been screwed the past 2 years if he had gotten hurt. Now we're screwed because we had no backup with anything other than a couple of plays under their belt and it looks like Arnett may be continuing that trend. There were opportunities to put Wright in for the entire 4th quarter against SELA and LSU since both games were pretty much over by then but instead he'd get 1 play every other drive.

Jarius
10-10-2023, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that. What I would add, and it's by far my biggest gripe against Leach, is that we never had the chance to find out if they were horrendous or not. Getting 2 snaps in the last two minutes of a game when you're up 30pts in the 4th against a cupcake doesn't prove anything. Leach failed to give any meaningful game snaps to every QB we had on the bench. Even with the bitching by some about Will and the worshiping by others, I think we can all agree that we would have been screwed the past 2 years if he had gotten hurt. Now we're screwed because we had no backup with anything other than a couple of plays under their belt and it looks like Arnett may be continuing that trend. There were opportunities to put Wright in for the entire 4th quarter against SELA and LSU since both games were pretty much over by then but instead he'd get 1 play every other drive.

Having a quarterback that leads an offense to 1 offensive touchdown in 40 % of your power 5 games in the system he was recruited for and then having him look like this in a normal offense is just bad recruiting. Leach was a magician and he won with defense largely last year. His quarterbacks have not left here and done anything and the starter was rarely anything above mediocre. His quarterback recruiting at MSU was extremely bad.

Homedawg
10-10-2023, 05:38 PM
Having a quarterback that leads an offense to 1 offensive touchdown in 40 % of your power 5 games in the system he was recruited for and then having him look like this in a normal offense is just bad recruiting. Leach was a magician and he won with defense largely last year. His quarterbacks have not left here and done anything and the starter was rarely anything above mediocre. His quarterback recruiting at MSU was extremely bad.

Again, leach has never been a guy that signed great hs qb and it worked out. There is an exception. But rare.

lastmajordog
10-10-2023, 09:08 PM
Agree, this must be adjusted with current rules. This is something that Leach was the worst at. Leave starters in decided game the whole game, never got backups any reps. No reason not to give some reps to some guys.

reminds me of a former HS coach, and when he left it was disaster for that school.......

SPDawgs
10-11-2023, 10:34 AM
I heard from people close to the football team on campus that Jake Weir has been moved up to QB2 on the roster. That would mean that both Will and Parsons are out for the next couple games at least. Pretty much confirms some of the fears that we have been having this week.

Offshore Dawg
10-11-2023, 10:41 AM

unfortunately there is too much truth in this statement.

Jarius
10-11-2023, 11:03 AM
I heard from people close to the football team on campus that Jake Weir has been moved up to QB2 on the roster. That would mean that both Will and Parsons are out for the next couple games at least. Pretty much confirms some of the fears that we have been having this week.

Unless the defense learns how to stop a nose bleed it doesn’t matter who we have at quarterback. I don’t have it in me to pull against us, but it would probably be best for the program if we did bad enough to force this experiment to end by going 4-8.

RiverCityDawg
10-11-2023, 11:26 AM
Unless the defense learns how to stop a nose bleed it doesn’t matter who we have at quarterback. I don’t have it in me to pull against us, but it would probably be best for the program if we did bad enough to force this experiment to end by going 4-8.

I'm starting to worry the injuries are going to be a convenient excuse to let this continue regardless of the record. Really hope I'm wrong, just feels like a MSU thing to do. Hopefully Selmon changes that.

BuckyIsAB****
10-11-2023, 12:11 PM

This is tired. And old.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2023, 12:14 PM
I'm starting to worry the injuries are going to be a convenient excuse to let this continue regardless of the record. Really hope I'm wrong, just feels like a MSU thing to do. Hopefully Selmon changes that.

Not worried about that at all.

Todd4State
10-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Good point. In all this back and forth, people seem to forget that in 2021, the offense worked pretty well. In conference games, we were 4th in total offense and 5th in scoring offense. We've surpassed the total offense rank twice since 2009 and the scoring offense rank once. Likewise, even with his limitations, Will's passer rating rank against SEC teams in 2021 (5th in the SEC) was better than anyone since 2009 other than Dak in '14 and '15. And his passer rating rank in '21 vs. Top 25 teams (4th in the SEC) was actually better than anyone in Mullen's entire tenure. Even's Will's yards-per-attempt, which gets him lambasted regularly, were by MSU standards solid that year -- 9th vs. SEC teams, 7th vs. Top 25 teams, both of which are as good or better than any QB Mullen ever fielded save Dak in 2014 and 2015. (The closest previous year was '12, when as a team our yards-per-attempt ranks wwere 7th vs. SEC teams and 8th vs. Top 25 teams.)

The problem is that Will, though proven and demonstrably capable of operating in the offense, regressed last year, especially against good defenses. I'm not going to pretend that I know why. He'd already seen an entire season and a half of SEC teams' "Drop 8" defenses and had fared well against them overall in '21. Losing Polk from '21 probably hurt a lot. And then there was some OL change. Who knows. Bottom line, yeah, the '22 offense took a step back and that's unfortunately the last taste of Leach's offense that we go to see.

This year's offense has been up and down like last year's, and the stats are similar to maybe a little worse depending on the category. To be expected with a big transition, no doubt. I don't know why we were fed this stuff in the offseason about the "best 11" and retaining the air raid passing elements that we knew how to operate. But here we are. I don't know anything about Will's health, and I hope he's ok. I also don't know how well Wright can operate the current offensive system (whatever that is) compared to Will, but I'm fine with him steering the ship if he's capable.

The question I have is how we're going to fare against more competent defenses. We've faced one legit defense so far. The rest have been either bad or very, very bad. I mean, LSU's, S. Carolina's, and Western Michigan are among the worst in the entire country at giving up TDs per drive and yards-per-possession. (I mean like bottom 20% of the entire country. (Arizona's numbers aren't good either, but their schedule has also been worse so far, so who knows where they stack up.)) Auburn, A&M, and Kentucky are all substantially better on D, and even Arkansas and U. Miss. have better raw numbers than LSU and S. Carolina. I hope stuff starts clicking, whether it's with Rogers, Wright, or both. Because outside of USM, the defenses aren't getting any easiser.

A final thoughts to wrap this ramble up: In 2021 and 2022, Leach led the program to back-to-back .500 seasons in the SEC. That's happened three times at MSU since 2000. Once with best QB in program history at the helm, once with the best defense in the nation and the all-time leading QB rusher in SEC history, and once with Will Rogers, the air raid, and (at least in 2022) a pretty salty defense. I know this won't happen, but I feel like maybe we could just be cool with that, let it lie, and see where we go from here. If we improve, awesome. If we continue the hapless suckitude, hopefully the AD will do whatever it is that needs to be done.

P.S. The closest comparisons to our current defense are Sirmon's D in 2016 and Shoop's bizarrely terrible D in 2019. Those units were outliers among otherwise average-to-very-good-to-elite defenses that we've had since Mullen arrived in 2009. Neither Sirmon nor Shoop was back the next year and both replacements (Grantham and Arnett) improved things immediately. So yeah, if this continues, somethings got to give.

Post more often please.

I do wonder if Leach's health affected the offense some last year? Who knows?